PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' hired help on the way

Lonestar
03-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Broncos' hired help on the way
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
POSTED: 03/10/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

Jamal Williams, a former Chargers nose tackle, is bringing 348 pounds of prestige to the Broncos' defensive line. He's also coming off a triceps injury that kept him on the sideline in 2009 for all but the season opener. (Getty Images file photo )
Bring it on, Jamaal Charles.

Go ahead, Michael Bush. Do it again.

The Broncos just completed a stunning and utterly complete overhaul of their defensive front three by signing nose tackle Jamal Williams (three years, $16 million) and right end Jarvis Green (four years, $12 million) on Tuesday — four days after acquiring left end Justin Bannan with a five-year, $22 million contract.

For an offensive-oriented head coach, Josh McDaniels appreciates defense. All four of the Broncos' free-agent signings — Bannan, Williams, Green and nickel back Nathan Jones — are defensive players.

"I can't speak for Josh — I know he's taken a lot of heat, but what he's trying to bring in that locker room is a team, not a bunch of individuals," said Albert Elias, Green's agent. "All this stupid talk about uncapped year and nobody's spending money — Denver's going to be a Super Bowl contender this year. They get it."

If they do get there, veterans shall lead them.

By adding Williams, 34, Bannan, 31, and Green, 31, the Broncos will have nine of 11 defensive starters who will be at least 30 years old by their season-opening game in September.

Only linebackers Elvis Dumervil, 26, and D.J. Williams, 28, will be younger than 30. The average age of the Broncos' starting defense by the opener will be 31 years old.

And there remain plenty of issues on offense, most notably the center position. The Broncos don't have one.

Some may have suggested the Broncos didn't have much of a defensive line, either, at least not in the second half of last season. Credit, or blame, the Broncos' upfront transformation on Kansas City's Charles and Oakland's Bush.

Until their late-season visits to Denver, both were relatively undistinguished running backs.

But in the Broncos' final two games at Invesco Field at Mile High, Bush and Charles exposed the home team as playoff pretenders. The Broncos
surrendered 241 yards rushing to the Raiders — the then 4-9 Raiders. Bush got 133 of those yards on just 18 carries.
Two weeks later, the Broncos were gouged for 317 yards rushing by the Chiefs — the then 3-12 Chiefs. Charles got 259 yards on 25 carries.

More insulting, perhaps, is Charles showed sportsmanlike mercy by benching himself from the final two series of the fourth quarter, when he was on pace to break the NFL's single-game rushing record (296 by Minnesota's Adrian Peterson) with four more carries.

As the Broncos' 6-0 start crumbled into a 2-8 finish, McDaniels, general manager Brian Xanders and director of pro personnel Keith Kidd made the defensive line their top offseason priority.

The Broncos' starting front three last season — Ryan McBean, Ronnie Fields and Kenny Peterson — entered last year with just 10 starts (nine by Fields) in 12 combined NFL seasons. While that trio performed admirably most of the season, they were clearly unaccustomed to so much playing time over a 16-game season.

The new front three of Bannan, Green and Williams boasts a combined 195 starts (122 by Williams) in 28 seasons.

The 348-pound Williams received a three-year contract, the 285-pound Green got a four-year deal and the 310-pound Justin Bannan received a five-year deal.

A three, and a four and a five, and let the music play with sounds of crashing fury. And that new front three wasn't exactly lured from the league's inept. Bannan (Ravens), Williams (Chargers) and Green (Patriots) came from some of the NFL's most stout defensive units.

Williams is the headliner. He helped the Chargers beat out the Broncos for five of the last six AFC West titles, including the last four.

Luckily for the Broncos, they hired away Williams' longtime Chargers line coach, Wayne Nunnely, last season. Nunnelly, more than money, was the primary selling point the Broncos had for Williams, who also could have returned to San Diego or jumped to the Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints.

He was considered the NFL's most unblockable nose tackle in the mid-2000s, and he went to three consecutive Pro Bowls. He missed virtually all of 2009 with a torn triceps injury suffered in the season opener.

At his age and girth, perhaps a year off will rejuvenate Williams. The Broncos are counting on it.

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14644212#ixzz0hpdwVm1r

xzn
03-11-2010, 12:44 AM
Ayers could, and hopefully will, start over Haggan. So that'd be three starters under 30.

If we draft Mc Clain in the first or Spikes in the second I think we'd have a fourth younger starter.

Isn't this the same guy who tweeted that Williams would play end for us?

Dirk
03-11-2010, 06:39 AM
"I can't speak for Josh — I know he's taken a lot of heat, but what he's trying to bring in that locker room is a team, not a bunch of individuals," said Albert Elias, Green's agent. "All this stupid talk about uncapped year and nobody's spending money — Denver's going to be a Super Bowl contender this year. They get it."

Wow! Pretty optimistic. I would definately have to do my happy dance each week if they are. :elefant: