PDA

View Full Version : Rolando Mc Clain is "The Man" @ #11

xzn
03-10-2010, 05:22 PM
The man who will be available and who should be our pick is Rolando Mc Clain. He can do it all, he's a winner, a true leader and a masterful student of the game.

Right now, assuming our current #11 is our first pick in the draft and given who is almost certain to be gone when we pick, he's my first choice right now. He would start at Mack backer from day one and be ready to assume the mantle of leadership Dawkins brought back which was missing since Lynch left and Al Wilson retired.

Mc Clain may not be able to cover guys like C.J. Spiller one-on-one but he's plenty fast at 4.74 to drop into the flat or hook zone area and much better than Andra Davis. He's a three down LB as long as he's not matched up against a speed burner on a wheel route. That's DJ's job.

He has ideal bulk for the position with more than adequate speed and above average athleticism. His film study preparation is legendary at 'bama and he was the unquestioned leader of his undefeated National Championship team that dominated on defense under the tutelage of Nick Saban. He would be an ideal run stopper who can play effectively in zone or against most TEs and slower RBs in man. He also flashes potential as an interior blitzer which provides a great deal of scheme versatility for Martindale to play with.

If we take Dez and leave him on the board I will be dissapointed. He would rapidly become the leader of the new era BRONCOS defense for the next decade and join the legacy of Tommy Jackson, Randy Gradishar, Bill Romanowski and Al Wilson. :salute:

Not only is he who I want, I really think he'll be available. Also, with our new defensive coordinator's LB coach background :cool: he's a likely pick.

Picture Ayers and Doom outside plus DJ and Rolando inside. We'd have a real opportunity to have the best young set of 34 LBs in the league!

:defense::defense::defense::defense:

Dirk
03-10-2010, 05:31 PM
With the choices you put up, McClain is the choice I would make. I'll leave it at that.

Ravage!!!
03-10-2010, 05:35 PM
I just read that McClain has Crohns disease

Star Alabama MLB Rolando McClain stunned the pro scouting fraternity when he disclosed after he became ill during the Tide’s pro day today that he has had Crohn's Disease, an inflammatory intestinal condition, since his freshman year in high school. McClain reportedly treats the condition with medication and obviously has been able to play with it a very high level to date, however, its certain to be a major red flag for pro teams heading into the 2010 draft at which McClain had been rated as a top 10-15 prospect

http://www.gbnreport.com/

xzn
03-10-2010, 05:42 PM
With the choices you put up, McClain is the choice I would make. I'll leave it at that.

Who do you think I should add :confused:

atwater27
03-10-2010, 05:42 PM

Star Alabama MLB Rolando McClain stunned the pro scouting fraternity when he disclosed after he became ill during the Tide’s pro day today that he has had Crohn's Disease, an inflammatory intestinal condition, since his freshman year in high school. McClain reportedly treats the condition with medication and obviously has been able to play with it a very high level to date, however, its certain to be a major red flag for pro teams heading into the 2010 draft at which McClain had been rated as a top 10-15 prospect

He has had it since his freshman year of high school and has been able to live with it and play at a high level. Given the serious complications shouldn't really occur until he is older, I see no red flag with drafting a very motivated guy who has succeeded despite his ailment.

xzn
03-10-2010, 05:44 PM

I did not know that, and I'm not a doctor but I am an insurance agent and I know that if it is treated that condition can still qualify for long term care and life insurance so I don't think that's a deal breaker as long as the prognosis is stable.

Thanks for that info though, it does give one pause... :coffee:

Nomad
03-10-2010, 05:49 PM

Man, I hear that sucks and can put you in pain in the slightest moments! I don't know about McClain now though he did good in college! I wonder if it gets worse as you get older!!:confused:

Denver Native (Carol)
03-10-2010, 05:52 PM
With the defensive FAs the Broncos have signed, I would imagine their position in the draft, at least early on, will be on the offensive side, unless they sign some offensive FAs.

Nomad
03-10-2010, 05:57 PM
With the defensive FAs the Broncos have signed, I would imagine their position in the draft, at least early on, will be on the offensive side, unless they sign some offensive FAs.

Yeah, I wouldn't spend it on Bryant though (he'll holdout of TC, I'll bet on it and will be more trouble than he's worth)! I'm on the Iupati bandwagon and to me he'll be worth the 11th ( too bad he wasn't in the poll)

SoCalImport
03-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Iupati

underrated29
03-10-2010, 06:02 PM
clausen.... With the way our team is moving. I do not think we will be in the position to grab an elite QB again for a while. Lets take one now, instead of having to trade our first, and 2nd and future 2nd to move up to top 10 to take one.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't spend it on Bryant though (he'll holdout of TC, I'll bet on it and will be more trouble than he's worth)! I'm on the Iupati bandwagon and to me he'll be worth the 11th ( too bad he wasn't in the poll)

I am not sure we will be needing to draft a WR - just have that feeling

shank
03-10-2010, 06:07 PM
i'm older than jimmy clausen :Cry:

that being said, i would def take clausen over dez if they were both there. still leaning towards mcclain if they are all there somehow.

Mike
03-10-2010, 06:16 PM
clausen.... With the way our team is moving. I do not think we will be in the position to grab an elite QB again for a while. Lets take one now, instead of having to trade our first, and 2nd and future 2nd to move up to top 10 to take one.

You really think Clausen is elite?

I won't be upset with McClain pick. I would solidify the line and go with Iupati even if 11 is high for that position.

dogfish
03-10-2010, 06:18 PM

enh. . . david garrard has crohn's, and it hasn't hindered his NFL career. . . it's very treatable-- who the hell cares if the guy has intestinal discomfort? not to sound cold or anything :laugh:, but it obviously doesn't affect him as a football player. . .

don't know which of those guys i'd pick at #11-- probably depends on what happens with marshall. . . as of right now, i'd probably pick mcclain out of those choices. . . although honestly, i'm not in love with taking him that high, at all. . . the kid is a hell of a football player, and i think he's one of the safer picks in the draft, but. . . i just don't know if i see him becoming a special player at the next level-- very solid, yes, but does he have upside beyond that? is he going to be a differencemaker? 'cuz you can find solid tackling machines later in the draft. . .

i see mcclain as a GOOD pick, not a GREAT pick. . . which might be as good as we can do this year. . . with two good tackles already on the roster, haden looking shaky and dez bryant bringing the usual question marks that so many receivers seem to, i don't know that there's going to be a great value there for us in a position of need. . . if you look at ILBs in the draft recently, it's pretty typical for them to drop. . . patrick willis was hands down the best inside 'backer prospect in forever (FAR better than mcclain, sorry), and he went at either 10 or 11. . . lauranaitis and mauauauluauauagggga both dropped out of the first round entirely. . .

is mcclain really that much better than those guys?

okay, granted-- i think both of them went later than they should have, and they quickly proved to be two of the more immediately effective players from last year's draft. . . of course, where they rank in comparison to other draftees is still an unknown-- given that they slid because of perceived lack of upside/overall ability, it's still possible that less-polished guys with higher ceilings may still eclipse their value in years to come. . .

either way, those guys were good value picks where they were taken. . . i won't be disappointed if we take mcclain because i feel comfortable that we'll know what we're getting-- a quality football player. . . would i be a hell of a lot happier getting brandon spikes at the end of the 1st round or in the 2nd? yea, i sure would-- i don't necessarily see a ton of seperation between them as prospects other than the fact the mcclain is coming off a better year. . .

i think the comments i've heard from some people that mcclain will be the next ray lewis are ridiculous and laughable. . . just because he's a strong prospect and the top ILB of this year's class doesn't EVEN warrant any comparison to lewis, and anyone who actually watched ray play in his younger years when he was building his rep understands that his unparalleled explosion to the ball combined with some of the finest instincts and split-second diagnostic skills the game has ever seen were what made ray truly special. . . mcclain is tough, smart and reliable-- the guy is a top prospect and has earned plenty of respect and accolades. . .

he's never going to be ray lewis, though. . . he's just nowhere near fast or athletic enough. . . i think a good 3-4 ILB like james farrior is a much better comparison, although mcclain is obviously bigger. . . maaaybe if people want to compare him to the 2009 ray lewis, a player with decent quickness who makes a big impact due to his veteran savvy, leadership, smarts, toughness and technical precision-- but certainly not a comparison to the legendary gamechanger of ray's earlier years. . .

if we trade marshall, i do have to admit that dez bryant would be awfully tempting at #11, even though most people here would shit their pants if it happened. . . without a clearer indication of whether his rumored work ethic problems are legit or just a smokescreen by a team that wants him to drop, i can't say who i'd take. . . i think it'd be a reach pick, but i wouldn't be pissed off with williams either-- don't think it's very likely after we just added three FA DLs, but i wouldn't cry about it. . .

honestly, i'd much rather trade back if at all possible than take any of those guys at #11. . . i'd rather spend a late 1st on golden tate than #11 on bryant, just like i'd rather spend a late 1st on spikes than #11 on mcclain, or a late 1st on iupati or pouncey than #11 on dan williams. . .

WARHORSE
03-10-2010, 06:27 PM
McClain is too slow.

Hand timed 4.74 in the forty, I think hes a bust waiting to happen. There are OLBers out there who are MUCH more explosive, productive and fast than McClain.

Say no to SLOW.

WARHORSE
03-10-2010, 06:31 PM
McClain is a
BUST!

Lancane
03-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Sorry, I have to refuse to vote...for a couple reasons. J. Clausen is all but guaranteed to be long gone; Dan Williams is a possibility, but not likely with Denver signing Justin Bannan to be the starting nose tackle; ILB is not as big a need as people believe, but McClain is an option none the less. And I doubt that Denver will take Bryant even if they trade Marshall...

IMHO, Denver if they stays at the 11th overall pick, because I think they will try and trade down, they will likely select Trent Williams from Oklahoma, with Ryan Harris being in the last year of his contract and Denver changing to a power blocking scheme...Williams makes sense.

spikerman
03-10-2010, 06:32 PM
McClain is too slow.

Hand timed 4.74 in the forty, I think hes a bust waiting to happen. There are OLBers out there who are MUCH more explosive, productive and fast than McClain.

Say no to SLOW.

I think McClain would be looked at as an inside linebacker in this defense.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-10-2010, 06:34 PM
I voted Clausen. You always have to go for the potential "franchise" QB if he's there.

Then I'd go with Dan Williams. J Wall and Fields aren't the long term solution at NT so you solidify the 3-4 NT for years to come.

Then I go McLain. You can't deny his accomplishments and his defensive knowledge after playing for Saban, but there have been a couple scouting reports that say he doesn't play hard all the time and sometimes takes plays off.

Then I go Iupati. 11th is high for a guard but he has the potential to be another Huchinson so he's hard to pass up.

Then I go Berry or Thomas. Not exactly a position of need, but if all the guys above are gone, whoever is there of these two is BPA.

Last I go Dez Bryant. 1st round WRs are very risky, and it's not like he's squeaky clean to this point, either. I'd rather go after Demariyus Thomas or Arrelious Benn later on (Thomas being my darkhorse - GT coaching staff say he's Megatron 2.0 but playing in an option offense he rearely could really show what he had.)

cuzz4169
03-10-2010, 06:46 PM
I have ulcertive colitis and it sux...it is almost identical to crohns. Everyone is different with it...some people the meds work and it puts them in remission. Others like myself haven't been in remission in a long time even with meds. So to break it down I'm sure he can deal with the stomach pain but when you gotta go to the bathroom you gotta go NOW!! Doesn't matter where you are he can be on the field if he runs off into locker room we all know what he's doing. It sux trust me.

spikerman
03-10-2010, 06:48 PM
I have ulcertive colitis and it sux...it is almost identical to crohns. Everyone is different with it...some people the meds work and it puts them in remission. Others like myself haven't been in remission in a long time even with meds. So to break it down I'm sure he can deal with the stomach pain but when you gotta go to the bathroom you gotta go NOW!! Doesn't matter where you are he can be on the field if he runs off into locker room we all know what he's doing. It sux trust me.

That's too bad man. I hope you have better health in the future.

Italianmobstr7
03-10-2010, 07:12 PM
I think that Mcclain may be ok but he's really slow. He was a playmaker in college, but I'm not sure his game will translate to the pros. He's not in the same class as guys like P. Willis, D. Ryans, and other star LB's to come out. Honestly, I'd rather have Shawn Lee from Penn State. That dude is a beast.

WARHORSE
03-10-2010, 07:23 PM
I think McClain would be looked at as an inside linebacker in this defense.

It wont matter, he cant get to the sideline.

He better bulk up to play DT or something.

Watch highlight tape of him and you'll see.

In the NFL, he wont even play.

I wouldnt be surprised to see him go in the later rounds, in fact, I bet he doesnt get picked in the top three rounds.

cuzz4169
03-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Honestly, I'd rather have Shawn Lee from Penn State. That dude is a beast.

Oh god no Penn State guys please!!!

xzn
03-10-2010, 07:27 PM
enh. . . david garrard has crohn's, and it hasn't hindered his NFL career. . . it's very treatable-- who the hell cares if the guy has intestinal discomfort? not to sound cold or anything :laugh:, but it obviously doesn't affect him as a football player. . .

don't know which of those guys i'd pick at #11-- probably depends on what happens with marshall. . . as of right now, i'd probably pick mcclain out of those choices. . . although honestly, i'm not in love with taking him that high, at all. . . the kid is a hell of a football player, and i think he's one of the safer picks in the draft, but. . . i just don't know if i see him becoming a special player at the next level-- very solid, yes, but does he have upside beyond that? is he going to be a differencemaker? 'cuz you can find solid tackling machines later in the draft. . .

i see mcclain as a GOOD pick, not a GREAT pick. . . which might be as good as we can do this year. . . with two good tackles already on the roster, haden looking shaky and dez bryant bringing the usual question marks that so many receivers seem to, i don't know that there's going to be a great value there for us in a position of need. . . if you look at ILBs in the draft recently, it's pretty typical for them to drop. . . patrick willis was hands down the best inside 'backer prospect in forever (FAR better than mcclain, sorry), and he went at either 10 or 11. . . lauranaitis and mauauauluauauagggga both dropped out of the first round entirely. . .

is mcclain really that much better than those guys?

okay, granted-- i think both of them went later than they should have, and they quickly proved to be two of the more immediately effective players from last year's draft. . . of course, where they rank in comparison to other draftees is still an unknown-- given that they slid because of perceived lack of upside/overall ability, it's still possible that less-polished guys with higher ceilings may still eclipse their value in years to come. . .

either way, those guys were good value picks where they were taken. . . i won't be disappointed if we take mcclain because i feel comfortable that we'll know what we're getting-- a quality football player. . . would i be a hell of a lot happier getting brandon spikes at the end of the 1st round or in the 2nd? yea, i sure would-- i don't necessarily see a ton of seperation between them as prospects other than the fact the mcclain is coming off a better year. . .

i think the comments i've heard from some people that mcclain will be the next ray lewis are ridiculous and laughable. . . just because he's a strong prospect and the top ILB of this year's class doesn't EVEN warrant any comparison to lewis, and anyone who actually watched ray play in his younger years when he was building his rep understands that his unparalleled explosion to the ball combined with some of the finest instincts and split-second diagnostic skills the game has ever seen were what made ray truly special. . . mcclain is tough, smart and reliable-- the guy is a top prospect and has earned plenty of respect and accolades. . .

he's never going to be ray lewis, though. . . he's just nowhere near fast or athletic enough. . . i think a good 3-4 ILB like james farrior is a much better comparison, although mcclain is obviously bigger. . . maaaybe if people want to compare him to the 2009 ray lewis, a player with decent quickness who makes a big impact due to his veteran savvy, leadership, smarts, toughness and technical precision-- but certainly not a comparison to the legendary gamechanger of ray's earlier years. . .

if we trade marshall, i do have to admit that dez bryant would be awfully tempting at #11, even though most people here would shit their pants if it happened. . . without a clearer indication of whether his rumored work ethic problems are legit or just a smokescreen by a team that wants him to drop, i can't say who i'd take. . . i think it'd be a reach pick, but i wouldn't be pissed off with williams either-- don't think it's very likely after we just added three FA DLs, but i wouldn't cry about it. . .

honestly, i'd much rather trade back if at all possible than take any of those guys at #11. . . i'd rather spend a late 1st on golden tate than #11 on bryant, just like i'd rather spend a late 1st on spikes than #11 on mcclain, or a late 1st on iupati or pouncey than #11 on dan williams. . .

If in fact we could trade back for a reasonable deal I'd agree that'd be a great move for us. Ray Lewis is a bonafide HOFer so any comparison to him can only go so far. That said, I do think that Mc Clain is comparable in terms of passion, leadership, size, to some perhaps limited extent his instincts and overall his apparent desire to work at it and be truly prepared from film study.

You are certainly right that he is not the transcendant athlete that a young Rayray was, or even Willis. But he is clearly the best LB prospect since Willis and maybe Urlacher before that. At least that is what I have understood from scouting reports as well as seeing him play myself quite a few times.

Now if one of the top four OTs was to magically drop to us :shocked: I'd change my pick to an agile, road grading 315 lber. :elefant:

cuzz4169
03-10-2010, 07:28 PM
It wont matter, he cant get to the sideline.

He better bulk up to play DT or something.

Watch highlight tape of him and you'll see.

In the NFL, he wont even play.

I wouldnt be surprised to see him go in the later rounds, in fact, I bet he doesnt get picked in the top three rounds.

Wow I think your nuts...so when did you have to run a 4.4 to play mlb in the nfl...its not about speed its about reading keys and getting off or avoiding getting blocked. I can name # of MLBs who were slow and were studs. 4.7 speed is fast enough a rb doesnt get to run full speed till he passes line....if we draft him shot i hope hes not chasing rbs from behind bc we will suck. lol....hes instinctive he doesnt miss tackles and he takes great angles to the ball carrier.

West
03-10-2010, 07:29 PM
McClain is a
BUST!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Thank you fortune teller.

McClain is too slow.

Say no to SLOW.

Yes because speed is all that matters for a ILB. Jesus H. Christ. Where the **** do these morons come from?

T.K.O.
03-10-2010, 07:29 PM
i wonder if he is on prednisone?its prescribed often for crohns disease.
its also a steroid which could have ramifications with the leagues substance abuse policy.
it also mahes your skin super thin after a while and the guy could get ripped open in the nfl

xzn
03-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Sorry, I have to refuse to vote...for a couple reasons. J. Clausen is all but guaranteed to be long gone; Dan Williams is a possibility, but not likely with Denver signing Justin Bannan to be the starting nose tackle; ILB is not as big a need as people believe, but McClain is an option none the less. And I doubt that Denver will take Bryant even if they trade Marshall...

IMHO, Denver if they stays at the 11th overall pick, because I think they will try and trade down, they will likely select Trent Williams from Oklahoma, with Ryan Harris being in the last year of his contract and Denver changing to a power blocking scheme...Williams makes sense.

First you say that you're sure that Clausen will be for sure gone, I agree he may well be. But then you talk about Trent Williams who is much more likely to be long gone after what he did his senior year, at the combine and today at his pro day. He improved his short shuttle to 4.4 which is stellar for a guy who is 315! He also improved his three cone to 7.4 from 7.6 he will do his bench press again on the 25th when Bradford throws.

If somehow he lasted to us and we got him I'd do cartwheels . . .:elefant:

West
03-10-2010, 07:31 PM
I think that Mcclain may be ok but he's really slow. He was a playmaker in college, but I'm not sure his game will translate to the pros. He's not in the same class as guys like P. Willis, D. Ryans, and other star LB's to come out. Honestly, I'd rather have Shawn Lee from Penn State. That dude is a beast.

Wait, so what part of his game DOESN'T translate to the NFL?

Who am I kidding? You're right. 6'5 260 ILBs with as much leadership skills and knowledge of the game as anyone on the field are thrown to the side now-a-days in the NFL. Hell, let alone his ability to read plays, get off blocks, make sure tackles, disrupt passing lanes, and ability to blitz.

cuzz4169
03-10-2010, 07:40 PM
i wonder if he is on prednisone?its prescribed often for crohns disease.
its also a steroid which could have ramifications with the leagues substance abuse policy.
it also mahes your skin super thin after a while and the guy could get ripped open in the nfl

I take prednisone during flare ups...yes its a steroid but not an anabolic steriod its an anti inflammatory. so i dont think it will be an issue. and by the way prednisone sux i hate taking it.

xzn
03-10-2010, 07:40 PM

Who am I kidding? You're right. 6'5 260 ILBs with as much leadership skills and knowledge of the game as anyone on the field are thrown to the side now-a-days in the NFL. Hell, let alone his ability to read plays, get off blocks, make sure tackles, disrupt passing lanes, and ability to blitz.

I totally agree with your overall take :beer: but FTR his official combine height / weight was 6'3 3/8 254 and that does nothing to diminish your point :cool:

cuzz4169
03-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Penn st. = blows in the pros

West
03-10-2010, 07:50 PM
I totally agree with your overall take :beer: but FTR his official combine height / weight was 6'3 3/8 254 and that does nothing to diminish your point :cool:

I just wasted my breath, though. We've already been told he'll be a bust. :rolleyes:

:lol::lol:

As if that clown knows what he's talking about.

xzn
03-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Dude, your signature gives me wood... and no I don't mean the picture of #25!

Traveler
03-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Star Alabama MLB Rolando McClain stunned the pro scouting fraternity when he disclosed after he became ill during the Tide’s pro day today that he has had Crohn's Disease, an inflammatory intestinal condition, since his freshman year in high school. McClain reportedly treats the condition with medication and obviously has been able to play with it a very high level to date, however, its certain to be a major red flag for pro teams heading into the 2010 draft at which McClain had been rated as a top 10-15 prospect.

Lancane
03-10-2010, 08:22 PM
First you say that you're sure that Clausen will be for sure gone, I agree he may well be. But then you talk about Trent Williams who is much more likely to be long gone after what he did his senior year, at the combine and today at his pro day. He improved his short shuttle to 4.4 which is stellar for a guy who is 315! He also improved his three cone to 7.4 from 7.6 he will do his bench press again on the 25th when Bradford throws.

If somehow he lasted to us and we got him I'd do cartwheels . . .:elefant:

Trent Williams stock is rising, that I admit...even then most scouts have said and he has admitted himself that he is best suited as a right tackle; it will middle out his stock because some teams will be looking for a bonified left tackles or someone who could play both the left tackle or left guard positions and so on and so forth. And even with his impressiveness, there remains those ahead of him on many boards...not just offensive tackles but also at other positions. With the teams ahead of Denver having questionable quarterback situations I just do not see Clausen falling to us, or I would say he is the sure pick. That is why I think Williams might be there compared with others.

xzn
03-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Trent Williams stock is rising, that I admit...even then most scouts have said and he has admitted himself that he is best suited as a right tackle; it will middle out his stock because some teams will be looking for a bonified left tackles or someone who could play both the left tackle or left guard positions and so on and so forth. And even with his impressiveness, there remains those ahead of him on many boards...not just offensive tackles but also at other positions. With the teams ahead of Denver having questionable quarterback situations I just do not see Clausen falling to us, or I would say he is the sure pick. That is why I think Williams might be there compared with others.

It seems that we agree that both Clausen and Trent will be gone.

These are the players that I think will be gone in whatever order before us:

Suh
Mc Coy
Bradford
Okung
Bulaga
Berry
A. Davis
Trent Williams
Clausen

That's nine. There is an outside chance that Clausen or one of the OTs might slip.

It would be more likely if players like Haden, Pierre-Paul, Derrick Morgan go in the top ten.

Please let the Faiders do something stupid like taking Taylor Mays or Bruce Campbell! :D

WARHORSE
03-11-2010, 06:22 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Thank you fortune teller.

Yes because speed is all that matters for a ILB. Jesus H. Christ. Where the **** do these morons come from?

Morons?

Your mother was a moron.

Watch the tape.

Tell me hes going to dominate against NFL caliber players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhG6bwopKTc&NR=1

Tell us which part translates to the NFL..............CLOWN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miJwMCgaxKo&feature=related

AND hes soft. His tackles are lame, shoestring tackles where he barely makes it to the ball in most of the highlights.

This guy is not a gamechanger in the NFL imo. That wont change.

WARHORSE
03-11-2010, 06:25 PM
I just wasted my breath, though. We've already been told he'll be a bust. :rolleyes:

:lol::lol:

As if that clown knows what he's talking about.

Hey, your mother was a clown at the block party.

We all laughed.:lol:

McClain: BUST!

WARHORSE
03-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Heres a REAL LB prospect for Denver.

PQfcytu6ItI

All those loud pops youre hearing are coming from Graham.

Speed. Power. Production.
IMPACT.

McClain: BUST.

Northman
03-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Graham is good but McClain is just as good if not better. I see a win/win with both players.

West
03-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Heres a REAL LB prospect for Denver.

PQfcytu6ItI

All those loud pops youre hearing are coming from Graham.

Speed. Power. Production.
IMPACT.

McClain: BUST.

LMAO!!!! You downgrade McClain but post a video of a guy who rushes off the edge? Are you serious or am I dreaming?

West
03-11-2010, 06:44 PM

:facepalm: Really?

Northman
03-11-2010, 06:45 PM
LMAO!!!! You downgrade McClain but post a video of a guy who rushes off the edge? Are you serious or am I dreaming?

I just thought it was funny because of the first minute or so was against W. Michigan. :lol:

WARHORSE
03-11-2010, 06:46 PM

You have your opium of McClain, and I have mine.

We'll see.

McClain may be a team leader..........but thats about it from my point of view.

Graham would be an OLBer for us.......you got any sense?

You see the man posting OTs?

Leave McBust on the table. He aint jack.

WARHORSE
03-11-2010, 06:47 PM
:facepalm: Really?

No.

Rally.
:salute:

WARHORSE
03-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Graham is good but McClain is just as good if not better. I see a win/win with both players.

Not even close in my book.

Not even close.

West
03-11-2010, 06:48 PM
You have your opium of McClain, and I have mine.

We'll see.

McClain may be a team leader..........but thats about it from my point of view.

You don't have a clue about football if you like Graham more than McClain at LB. There is no hope for you.

WARHORSE
03-11-2010, 06:51 PM
You don't have a clue about football if you like Graham more than McClain at LB. There is no hope for you.

BWAHAHAHAHA.

We'll see champ.

Put a bookmark on this thread.

West
03-11-2010, 06:54 PM
BWAHAHAHAHA.

We'll see champ.

Put a bookmark on this thread.

Dude. What are basing you're thoughts off of that Graham will be a better LB than McClain? You posted a video of him playing DEFENSIVE LINE!!!! None of those highlights are of him playing in space, shedding blockers, running down ball carriers, reading plays, etc. Please. Give me more evidence that Graham is a better LB prospect than McClain.

Cause as of right now, nothing I see from that film leads me to believe that Graham will EVER play LB in the NFL.

Jesus H. Christ.

Italianmobstr7
03-11-2010, 06:56 PM

He's SLOW. The NFL is a fast league. I put in another thread already, I like him as a person. I think he'll be an okay player. Like an Andra Davis or something, but he's not a gamebreaker. He's a good leader and he's smart, but he's slow. I will say I wouldn't be super pissed if we drafted him, I just don't see him as a great NFL LB. Maybe we'll get him and he'll prove me wrong (if we do draft him, I hope he does!). Honestly I doubt we draft him though. Seems like every year the majority of us want someone and we don't get him, and we go get someone not many of us suspect. That will probably be the case again this year.

Italianmobstr7
03-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Dude. What are basing you're thoughts off of that Graham will be a better LB than McClain? You posted a video of him playing DEFENSIVE LINE!!!! None of those highlights are of him playing in space, shedding blockers, running down ball carriers, reading plays, etc. Please. Give me more evidence that Graham is a better LB prospect than McClain.

Cause as of right now, nothing I see from that film leads me to believe that Graham will EVER play LB in the NFL.

Jesus H. Christ.

I agree with you here. Mcclain will be a much better ILB than Brandon Graham who won't even play ILB in the NFL. If he plays any type of LB it will be an OLB in a 3-4 scheme, but even that's doubtful. I think he'll be a DE on a 4-3 team.

West
03-11-2010, 07:00 PM
He's SLOW. The NFL is a fast league. I put in another thread already, I like him as a person. I think he'll be an okay player. Like an Andra Davis or something, but he's not a gamebreaker. He's a good leader and he's smart, but he's slow. I will say I wouldn't be super pissed if we drafted him, I just don't see him as a great NFL LB. Maybe we'll get him and he'll prove me wrong (if we do draft him, I hope he does!). Honestly I doubt we draft him though. Seems like every year the majority of us want someone and we don't get him, and we go get someone not many of us suspect. That will probably be the case again this year.

You keep on saying he's slow. Sure, he isn't the fasting linebacker in the world but the fastest time recorded at the combine this year for LBs was 4.54. McClain ran a 4.68 at Alabama's Pro Day. He isn't some OLB where it is necessary for him to have excellent speed, he's a MLB. His job is take to on blockers, make sure tackles, and lead the defense. And that's exactly what he does.

West
03-11-2010, 07:00 PM
I agree with you here. Mcclain will be a much better ILB than Brandon Graham who won't even play ILB in the NFL. If he plays any type of LB it will be an OLB in a 3-4 scheme, but even that's doubtful. I think he'll be a DE on a 4-3 team.

Thank you. What is this bozo thinking about?

Italianmobstr7
03-11-2010, 07:02 PM
You keep on saying he's slow. Sure, he isn't the fasting linebacker in the world but the fastest time recorded at the combine this year for LBs was 4.54. McClain ran a 4.68 at Alabama's Pro Day. He isn't some OLB where it is necessary for him to have excellent speed, he's a MLB. His job is take to on blockers, make sure tackles, and lead the defense. And that's exactly what he does.

Like I said, if we got him I wouldn't be upset. I wouldn't be thrilled either. I get that you're a Bama fan and that you like the guy, but I just don't think he'll be a world beater. Maybe he will. If he becomes a Bronco, I hope he's great, I just have a hunch and I don't think he'll be that great of an NFL player. If he is, throw it back in my face. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

West
03-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Like I said, if we got him I wouldn't be upset. I wouldn't be thrilled either. I get that you're a Bama fan and that you like the guy, but I just don't think he'll be a world beater. Maybe he will. If he becomes a Bronco, I hope he's great, I just have a hunch and I don't think he'll be that great of an NFL player. If he is, throw it back in my face. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Yeah i'm a big Bama fan but that doesn't stop me from looking at players objectively. McClain is as close to a sure thing as it gets in this draft, Bama fan or not.

Italianmobstr7
03-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Thank you. What is this bozo thinking about?

No idea. I usually think Warhorse has good posts, but the thinking that Brandon Graham is going to be any kind of LB is out there. I don't even think Brandon Graham will be THAT great in the NFL. He had an okay year, in a league that was filled with 2 good teams (PSU & OSU). He had a good Senior Bowl, but that's about it. He has BUST written all over him.

Italianmobstr7
03-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Yeah i'm a big Bama fan but that doesn't stop me from looking at players objectively. McClain is as close to a sure thing as it gets in this draft, Bama fan or not.

I'm a Penn State fan, and I think Sean Lee translates to the NFL just as well as Mcclain, if not better. He's a sure tackler, a good leader, and reads plays well too. The one knock against him is speed too so I see why you think so highly of Mcclain.

West
03-11-2010, 07:07 PM
No idea. I usually think Warhorse has good posts, but the thinking that Brandon Graham is going to be any kind of LB is out there. I don't even think Brandon Graham will be THAT great in the NFL. He had an okay year, in a league that was filled with 2 good teams (PSU & OSU). He had a good Senior Bowl, but that's about it. He has BUST written all over him.

He even went as far to call him a better LINEBACKER prospect than McClain. The guy doesn't even play ILB. :lol::lol:

The wacky tobacky must be crazy out there on the islands.

West
03-11-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm a Penn State fan, and I think Sean Lee translates to the NFL just as well as Mcclain, if not better. He's a sure tackler, a good leader, and reads plays well too. The one knock against him is speed too so I see why you think so highly of Mcclain.

I don't follow much of the Big 10, SEC is my specialty so I can't comment on Lee.

Buff
03-11-2010, 07:48 PM
I'd rather take Bryant or Williams.

WARHORSE
03-11-2010, 07:49 PM

Only a fool that doesnt know anything about football would think that a MLBer in the NFL doesnt need to get to the sideline.

As for taking on blockers, make sure tackles and leading defenses, you must be watching tape of RAY LEWIS, cause it sure aint McClown.

FAIL.

WARHORSE
03-11-2010, 07:54 PM
He even went as far to call him a better LINEBACKER prospect than McClain. The guy doesn't even play ILB. :lol::lol:

The wacky tobacky must be crazy out there on the islands.

Nobody said ILB.

Graham is a 3-4 OLB prospect o knowledgable one.

Even in limited reps like Doomerville he would be more of an impact player than McClown.

Youre a BAMA bama.

Take off your crimson panties and watch the film.:laugh:

WARHORSE
03-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Athletic ability: Is a deceptively good athlete who has better foot quickness, flexibility and agility rushing passer then he shows when dropping off the ball and playing behind the line of scrimmage. Combines foot quickness with instincts/snap anticipation to explode off the ball when focused and beat the OT around the corner. Has the strong and quick hands, foot quickness and agility to defeat OT with pass-rush moves. Grade: 7.5

Against the run: Comes off the ball low and hard and works to get his hands on the blocker. Plays square to the line of scrimmage and is quick to shed and make the tackle. Has strong hands and works to throw the blocker to the ground. Is a solid tackler who can hold the point of attack. Is frequently double-teamed; has the lower-body strength to hold his ground and allow the linebackers to flow and make the tackle if he cannot. Is not dominant against the run, but does his job. Makes a lot of tackles behind the line of scrimmage thanks to hustle and good hand usage. Grade: 8.0

Pass rush: Gets sacks in bunches but is erratic and will disappear in some games. Does not have long arms; can be stunned and held in check by larger offensive linemen. Is a little slow off the ball but is quick and strong with his hands. Uses his hands as weapons and understands how to turn his shoulders and hips to slide past the blocker. Hits a different gear to make sack when he gets a whiff of the quarterback. Grade: 8.5

Initial quickness: Lacks elite explosiveness, but good lateral quickness, foot quickness and snap anticipation help him burst off ball quickly. Has enough upper-body shake and power to get his hands on the blocker's chest plate and drive him back after the snap. Grade: 7.5

Run/pass recognition: Does not have trouble deciphering plays. Makes plays in both the running and passing games and understands his role in the defense. Lines up strictly on the left side, helping him read the quarterback quickly. Plays under control and is rarely off his feet. Will crash down the line of scrimmage on runs away from him while still maintaining his reverse responsibilities. Plays with good balance and is aware of his surroundings. Grade: 8.5

Pursuit/tackling: Excels in this area. Makes a lot of plays behind the line of scrimmage because of effort and toughness. Has a different gear and closes with burst when he is free of the blocker and has a bead on the ball carrier or quarterback. Is a sure tackler who finishes with power. Grade: 8.5

Bottom line: Graham was a highly productive defender at Michigan despite being the primary focus of every opponent's offense. He is tough and aggressive, and he plays with intensity on every snap, which helps him outwork the OT to pressure the QB. He is also a high-character young man with excellent leadership skills and intangibles. Before the Senior Bowl, there were some questions about his ability to pressure the QB due to his lack of ideal height and size, but he dominated all week in practice and in the game, showing that he has all the tools to be productive playing DE in a 4-3 scheme or rush linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. He does not, however, have the all-around athleticism to play outside linebacker in a 4-3 scheme. Overall, Graham is a better prospect than the Steelers' LaMarr Woodley, who was considered a steal as a second-round pick in 2007, so do not expect to see Graham last past the 20th pick this year.

hotcarl
03-11-2010, 07:59 PM
*opposing running back breaks to the second level*

ronny mcclain: *shits*

WARHORSE
03-11-2010, 08:05 PM
What on the draft film shows anyone any NFL skills to translate?

Blitzing? Yeah, if hes blitzing an Olineman or a RB in pass protection.

Pursuit? Where?

Tackling for McClain requirements: The runner must run right to him, or someone else must get a hand on him first, giving McClown time to get there.

Pass coverage? Non existent.

Awareness? No, lack thereof.

This guy would be a fantastic MLB in the NFL if all his responsibilities in the defense were guard to guard, and nothing five yards behind or in front of the center.

In that case, sign him up.

McClain= FAIL

dogfish
03-11-2010, 08:37 PM

how old are you?

xzn
03-11-2010, 09:05 PM
I think someone hacked Warhorse's account...

WARHORSE
03-11-2010, 09:09 PM
how old are you?

Old enough to respond to ignorance with more ignorance.

That old enough?:confused:

shank
03-11-2010, 10:36 PM

no.

dogfish
03-11-2010, 10:54 PM

to be making petty insults about somebody's momma over a draft disagreement?

i'd say too old, but that's just me. . .

WARHORSE
03-11-2010, 11:13 PM
to be making petty insults about somebody's momma over a draft disagreement?

i'd say too old, but that's just me. . .

Petty insults?

I dont need a mother dogfish, and youre sure actin like one.

Draft disagreement is one thing, callin me a moron, clown, bozo and the like wont get you anything out of me but the same. And if we were face to face, Im sure his tune would change, cause I just may slap the vernacular from his vocabulary.

Opinions and insults dont mix with me.

Sorry mom.

turftoad
03-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Alright fellers. I know you both respect eachother and eachothers opionions.

Keep it cool K?

xzn
03-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Getting back on topic...

The revelation about his illness is a non-issue according to all three experts on NFLN he has not missed a game EVER due to the condition which he has been diagnosed with since he was a freshman in High School.

High 4.6 to low 4.7 is plenty fast enough to play Mack backer.

dogfish
03-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Getting back on topic...

The revelation about his illness is a non-issue according to all three experts on NFLN he has not missed a game EVER due to the condition which he has been diagnosed with since he was a freshman in High School.

agreed on both counts. . .

how well a guy runs in pads matters more thn a 40 time, and mcclain runs well enough-- he's not gonna chase chris johnson to the sideline, but neither would demeco ryans or lofa tatupu, and those guys have both gone to the pro bowl as interior linebackers (and moreso, are widely recognized as good 'backers). . . i don't know that he has the speed or change of direction to stay with faster TEs in man coverage, but he should be okay against the rest, and should be able to get adequate depth on most zone drops-- we're not asking the guy to play MIKE in the cover-2 and roam deep down the middle of the field like brian urlacher. . .

i don't necessarily see him being much of a big play guy, but he should be a tackling machine and a defensive captain. . .

WARHORSE
03-12-2010, 12:54 AM
Getting back on topic...

I gotta disagree with you XZN with him bein fast enough.

When I see his tape, I dont see anything dynamic about him at all.

Watchin his highlight draft tape is like watching someone run in mud.

No explosion.

If we're going to spend a pick at 11, in a draft this deep with defensive talent, McClain just doesnt get my vote.

Gimme Graham any day of the week.

Either way, we'll all find out sooner or later.

xzn
03-12-2010, 01:09 AM

No explosion.

If we're going to spend a pick at 11, in a draft this deep with defensive talent, McClain just doesnt get my vote.

War, I get what you're saying :coffee: and I might even agree that several of the edge rushers might likely be more dynamic prospects: JPP, Kindle, Graham, heck even Morgan. But only JPP has a higher grade from Scouts Inc. as a prospect.

But we already have Doom, and I'm assuming he'll be locked up for at least 5 years once we have a new CBA, if not sooner. On the other side we have Ayers who we just spent a high one on last year.

So, to me, edge rushing OLB is very low on the list of needs. That said, value can compensate if there is a huge gap in talent. But comparing Rolando to any of the OLBs there isn't a value gap and he's at a position of much greater need.

If we didn't already have DJ and were looking for a Jack backer then Mc Clain would be a bad fit perhaps. But everything about him is perfect for what's expected of a Mack in a 34. I know you've coached and I don't mean to be condescending... but like Dog said, it's not like we're asking him to play in a Tampa Two and take drops into the deep middle third from the Mike.

Bottom Line: Rolando Mc Clain is one of the safest picks in the draft and a certain starter who can contribute immediately at a position of need.

Production > "upside"

WARHORSE
03-12-2010, 01:33 AM
War, I get what you're saying :coffee: and I might even agree that several of the edge rushers might likely be more dynamic prospects: JPP, Kindle, Graham, heck even Morgan. But only JPP has a higher grade from Scouts Inc. as a prospect.

But we already have Doom, and I'm assuming he'll be locked up for at least 5 years once we have a new CBA, if not sooner. On the other side we have Ayers who we just spent a high one on last year.

So, to me, edge rushing OLB is very low on the list of needs. That said, value can compensate if there is a huge gap in talent. But comparing Rolando to any of the OLBs there isn't a value gap and he's at a position of much greater need.

If we didn't already have DJ and were looking for a Jack backer then Mc Clain would be a bad fit perhaps. But everything about him is perfect for what's expected of a Mack in a 34. I know you've coached and I don't mean to be condescending... but like Dog said, it's not like we're asking him to play in a Tampa Two and take drops into the deep middle third from the Mike.

Bottom Line: Rolando Mc Clain is one of the safest picks in the draft and a certain starter who can contribute immediately at a position of need.

Production > "upside"

Heh heh.

You arent going to change my mind XZN. :D

If he came here and ended up a kick butt baller, Id gladly tell you I dont know jack.

But dont need edge rushers here?

Graham AND Doom is exactly what we want. Ayers may very well be a dynamic player as well, but he doesnt have the same explosion as Graham.

Teams couldnt keep Doom off their QBs. Imagine if we had TWO stud rush LBers to unleash. Graham is 271 lbs of meat grinder comin off the edge.

We got the Dline to address the rush, now I want a killer rotation of rushers to unleash.

But thats just me.................and Coachaz.:coffee:

xzn
03-12-2010, 01:36 AM
Okay, so for the sake of discussion, what would you do with Ayers then?

And with Davis gone who plays Mack?

atwater27
03-12-2010, 02:45 AM

No explosion.

Wow. It's amazing how 2 people can watch the same thing and see totally differently. I was poring through some particularly boring prospect vids on youtube and happened to click on McClain. I sat up in my chair and salivated. The guy is explosive, the guy is fast, big, athletic and instinctive. I usually agree with you on stuff, but don't know if you ate some pufferfish before watching the video or not.

atwater27
03-12-2010, 02:48 AM
Scouting Report: Each draft there is a linebacker who sets the bar for the rest of the class. McClain is that guy this year, like Aaron Curry was last year, and Patrick Willis before that. Sort of like Joe Haden, McClain is very clearly the best linebacker in this draft. McClain is a big thick dude, with a powerful lower body and low body fat. He has an explosion when he plays, and an intensity that is unrivaled in this class. There are few flaws to McClains skill set. He is great at diagnosing the play, getting to it in a hurry whether that means shedding a blocker, working around one, or simply in pursuit. When he gets to the ball, he usually brings the pain with a devastating paired up with great technique. He can drop and cover in the short zone, shows solid instincts for the game, and does very well on blitzes and twists. McClain has been the undisputed leader of the Crimson Tide defense and their defense is very complex highlighting his football IQ. On the downside, McClain is a Mike linebacker and probably not able to play on the outside citing some lack of versatility. Also, when you consider that McClain is about 3 biscuits shy of 260lbs, you won't see him setting any records on his triangle numbers.

Draft Status: This is a little uncertain, because some think that Missouri LB Sean Weatherspoon or Florida LB Brandon Spikes are better linebackers than McClain, and because they either already to play on the outside, or look to be able to, will be taken ahead of him, and push him to the bottom of the round. I have a hard time believing that. McClain could have a huge impact on a defense, especially a team that runs the 3-4 and you can pair him up with another Mike and let him blitz and run and make plays. If he can continue to play like he has, and have a good offseason showing I see no reason he should be drafted anywhere outside the first 20 picks.

Final Analysis: I love McClain's game. I love the fact that he always knows what to do at the right time, and is almost never caught out of position. I love he's big and strong enough to hold the point of attack even against offensive linemen, and that he can deliver a blow like no other player in the draft. He's a throwback kind of guy. Not flashy, and not all about the triangle numbers. Just an incredibly talented and productive linebacker.

Reminds me of: Ray Lewis, LB Baltimore Ravens-McClain has the look of a super star, like Lewis does and is an explosive powerful and smart playmaker, just like Lewis. Also, he may end up slipping in the first round like Lewis did, but for different reasons.
http://draftboardinsider.com/cgi-bin/prospect.cgi?id=1003

WARHORSE
03-12-2010, 04:29 AM
Okay, so for the sake of discussion, what would you do with Ayers then?

And with Davis gone who plays Mack?

First of all, Mario is better inside than out, AND he is a FAR better blitzer than Andra ever was. Can Ayers play inside? I totally think that fits him better, but he can play both. Doom struggles against the run. Graham does not. If Graham can be an every down player, then the situational Doomerville gets even more dangerous. If we have Graham, Doom, Haggans and Williams on passing downs, the pass rush would be unbelievable imo.

Wow. It's amazing how 2 people can watch the same thing and see totally differently. I was poring through some particularly boring prospect vids on youtube and happened to click on McClain. I sat up in my chair and salivated. The guy is explosive, the guy is fast, big, athletic and instinctive. I usually agree with you on stuff, but don't know if you ate some pufferfish before watching the video or not.

OMG. I almost CHOKED when I read PUFFERFISH! My abs just got a workout, I was ROLLING. Nice touch. But I DISAGREE.

Scouting Report: Each draft there is a linebacker who sets the bar for the rest of the class. McClain is that guy this year, like Aaron Curry was last year, and Patrick Willis before that. Sort of like Joe Haden, McClain is very clearly the best linebacker in this draft. McClain is a big thick dude, with a powerful lower body and low body fat. He has an explosion when he plays, and an intensity that is unrivaled in this class. There are few flaws to McClains skill set. He is great at diagnosing the play, getting to it in a hurry whether that means shedding a blocker, working around one, or simply in pursuit. When he gets to the ball, he usually brings the pain with a devastating paired up with great technique. He can drop and cover in the short zone, shows solid instincts for the game, and does very well on blitzes and twists. McClain has been the undisputed leader of the Crimson Tide defense and their defense is very complex highlighting his football IQ. On the downside, McClain is a Mike linebacker and probably not able to play on the outside citing some lack of versatility. Also, when you consider that McClain is about 3 biscuits shy of 260lbs, you won't see him setting any records on his triangle numbers.

Draft Status: This is a little uncertain, because some think that Missouri LB Sean Weatherspoon or Florida LB Brandon Spikes are better linebackers than McClain, and because they either already to play on the outside, or look to be able to, will be taken ahead of him, and push him to the bottom of the round. I have a hard time believing that. McClain could have a huge impact on a defense, especially a team that runs the 3-4 and you can pair him up with another Mike and let him blitz and run and make plays. If he can continue to play like he has, and have a good offseason showing I see no reason he should be drafted anywhere outside the first 20 picks.

Final Analysis: I love McClain's game. I love the fact that he always knows what to do at the right time, and is almost never caught out of position. I love he's big and strong enough to hold the point of attack even against offensive linemen, and that he can deliver a blow like no other player in the draft. He's a throwback kind of guy. Not flashy, and not all about the triangle numbers. Just an incredibly talented and productive linebacker.

Reminds me of: Ray Lewis, LB Baltimore Ravens-McClain has the look of a super star, like Lewis does and is an explosive powerful and smart playmaker, just like Lewis. Also, he may end up slipping in the first round like Lewis did, but for different reasons.
http://draftboardinsider.com/cgi-bin/prospect.cgi?id=1003

Count me among those that dont have McClain rated high. Ray Lewis comparisons????
Watch the explosion......not even close.
Check the sideline to sideline coverage and speed of Lewis. Look at the explosive hits hes puttin on people. There aint nothin like that in the tape of McClain that I saw. Someone better find some better McClain highlights than Ive seen.
eeexDrlNx5E&feature=related
qHBDMW4dyT8&feature=related

WARHORSE
03-12-2010, 04:38 AM
And I am gonna DIE if we draft him.

I'll be his biggest fan then...........grrrrr.

WARHORSE
03-12-2010, 04:43 AM
War Room analysis

ROLANDO MCCLAIN

Athletic ability: Is a good all-around athlete, but not an elite one. Has rare instincts and football smarts to play quicker and faster than his timed speed. Has outstanding flexibility, which helps him bend knees to take on lead blockers and tackle with very good strength at the line of scrimmage.

Combines knee bend with good agility and balance to sift and move through traffic with surprising ease. Combines instincts and foot quickness to get started toward the ball and accelerate to full speed quickly.

Has good playing speed once he gets going, but not elite speed; will struggle to make plays along the sideline in the NFL. Has smooth and fluid athleticism to drop quickly and easily into pass coverage; can flip hips to change directions and adjust well to receivers. Has quick feet to close quickly on receivers and make hard hits right as the ball arrives.

Has athleticism and flexibility to keep knees bent and stay over feet to break down and tackle well in space; does a good job staying over feet and under control. Grade: 7.0

Against the inside run: Is a physical force who is very productive on inside runs. Has instincts and foot quickness to fill holes fast and take on lead blockers strong at the line when he attacks aggressively. Does not fill aggressively on every snap, though.

Has a very thick, well-built lower body, which gives him good lower-body strength that, combined with good hand use, allows him to hold his ground against lead blockers; can shed and disengage to make the tackle on inside runs. Does a good job of using hands and athleticism to keep blockers off him and to move and slide to avoid blockers in tight quarters. Can get ridden out of the play when linemen get their hands on him. Grade: 8.5

Against the outside run: Is not a quick-twitch athlete and lacks the top-end speed to consistently chase down fast players in pursuit. Does have the foot quickness and great instincts to read and react very quickly to the run; gets started toward the ball very quickly, which helps him play faster than his 40 time and chase down running backs outside by the hash marks. Has instincts to get outside the OT very quickly to take on lead blocker strong at the point of attack; can maintain outside position to force the ball-carrier to turn the run back inside. Grade: 7.5

Blitz/coverage: Is not an explosive pass rusher with the moves to consistently defeat pass blocks. Is an aggressive pass rusher with very good playing strength, which enables him to jolt RB and drive him back into the QB's lap. Is very smooth, fluid and athletic dropping into zone coverage; reads the QB excellently, breaks and closes quickly and gets to the receiver in time to make hard hit right after ball arrives. Is effective when he decides to get on TE and slow his release. Can cover TE well on short pass routes; lack of elite playing speed hinders his ability to stay with fast TEs on intermediate and deep routes. Is naturally instinctive in all types of coverage; has a feeling when the pass is arriving and can react in time to make a play on the ball. Grade: 7.5

Run-pass recognition/instincts: Separates himself from just about every other linebacker in college and the NFL in this area. Makes all the calls on defense. Seems able to figure out what audibles the offense is switching to before the play; can get the defense reset and into the correct position. Has rare instincts to play significantly more quickly than his 40 time; is able to track down ball carriers outside by the hash marks consistently. Does not get fooled by play-action fakes and consistently maintains his responsibility against trick plays. Grade: - 9.0

Pursuit/tackling: Is involved in making tackles by chasing down ball carriers in backside pursuit. Reads and reacts to the play in a flash, which enables him to get started toward the ball carrier quickly and play faster than his 40 time. Is able to chase down plays in pursuit between the hash marks; while he was able to make plays along the sideline at Alabama, lacks the elite speed to consistently make such plays in the NFL. Is a very good tackler who keeps his knees bent, staying over his feet and under control to break down and finish the play out in space. Slows up a bit as he gets close to ball carrier in pursuit to avoid over-running. Grade: 7.5

Bottom line: McClain left school early for the draft, and based on his incredible performance in 2009, we do not believe he could have helped his draft status by staying for another season. He has the intelligence and instincts that NFL teams drool over, and he can basically be a coach on the field who knows and carries out his assignment perfectly on every snap. He is a big, strong linebacker who seems to enjoy making hard, physical tackles. We are always leery of over-drafting a player whose great instincts and intelligence help him be more productive than his athleticism suggests he should. We would not draft McClain in the top 10 because he lacks the elite speed and top-end athleticism typically necessary to become highly productive in the NFL. In our view, he is a late first-round pick who could slide into the top of the second round if he does not shine at the Combine or in his personal workout. He should become a good starting inside linebacker in either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme.

NEWS

McClain decided to skip his senior season after anchoring for the national champion Crimson Tide's defense.

He led Alabama with 105 tackles and 14.5 stops for losses in 2009. He also had two interceptions and two sacks. He won Butkus Award as the nation's top linebacker.

"I came to school with a goal of being a first-team All American, winning the Butkus and winning a national championship and I've accomplished those goals and I think I'm going leave the university pretty satisfied with what I've done here," McClain said at a news conference.

Alabama coach Nick Saban credited McClain's on-field leadership for much of the team's success during the past two seasons and said he supports McClain's decision.

===========================Count me with these guys. I dont think its gonna translate. His lack of speed will be exposed by opposing offenses. If he had to play in a box......maybe he excels. He is NOT worth the 11th selection in the draft.

xzn
03-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Scouts Inc. Analysis of Rolando Mc Clain

Position Rank #1

Prospect Rank #13

Prospect Grade 95

Overall Football Traits

Production 1 (Elite)

"2007: (13/8) 75 tackles, 5 TFL, 1 sack, 6 PBU, 2 INTs; First-team Freshman All-SEC. 2008: (14/14) 95 tackles, 12 TFL, 3 sacks, 7 PBU, 1 INT, 2 FR. Third-team AP All-America, First-team All-SEC."

Height-Weight-Speed 2 (Above average)

Prototypical size and good top-end speed.

Durability 1 (Elite)

2008: Sustains minor injuries in offseason motorcycle accident. Suffers laceration on hand while breaking up a pass during the Mississippi State game but misses only part of one series and returns to the game after getting stitches at halftime.

Intangibles 1 (Elite)

Makes all of the defensive calls for Alabama. 2009: Gets flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct after bumping an official during the Virginia Tech game. 2008: Awarded the Lee Roy Jordan Headhunter Award following spring practice. Named the Crimson Tide's Outstanding Defensive Performer and Defensive Player of the Year by the team. Earned the Alabama Coaches' Defensive Player of the Week Award nine times in 14 games. Earned Academic All-SEC honors.

Inside Linebacker specific Traits

Instincts/Recognition 1

Quarterback of the defense and can be seen getting teammates aligned on film. Coaches rave about his understanding of the team's defensive scheme and work ethic in the film room. Locates the ball quickly and practices sound gap discipline. Can take a step towards the line of scrimmage against play action but recovers quickly. Quickly recognizes screens.

Strength/Toughness 2

Plays too high at times and can get neutralized by offensive linemen when technique isn't sound (see: 2008 LSU game) but doesn't shy away from contact and can hold his own in phone-booth situations when technique is sound. Uses hands well and has the upper-body strength to shed blocks quickly. Can play through pain.

Range vs. Run 2

Lacks ideal range but makes up for it with sound pursuit angles and effort. Shows above-average lateral mobility when scraping down the line of scrimmage and is athletic enough to slip blocks in space. Could do a better job of using hands to protect legs against cut blocks.

CoachChaz
03-12-2010, 11:33 AM
While I dont agree with War completely on his assessment of McClain, I do agree that Graham would be the better choice. A guy on the outside that can be effective on all 3 downs. I would also run Ayers on the otherside if he cant add weight to play DE. Not sure if he could make the move to the inside, but Ayers and Graham are both very good against the run and I think they could rotate around.

Doom is a one trick pony. I love the guy and want him in there on passing downs, but he's just not sutting the mustard in run support. 17 sacks looks great, but when they are the only 17 plays you are involved in...it doesnt help as much. I would take 12 sacks and 60 tackles from Graham and Ayers over 17 sacks and 30 tackles from Doom any day

SOCALORADO.
03-12-2010, 11:40 AM
While I dont agree with War completely on his assessment of McClain, I do agree that Graham would be the better choice. A guy on the outside that can be effective on all 3 downs. I would also run Ayers on the otherside if he cant add weight to play DE. Not sure if he could make the move to the inside, but Ayers and Graham are both very good against the run and I think they could rotate around.

Doom is a one trick pony. I love the guy and want him in there on passing downs, but he's just not sutting the mustard in run support. 17 sacks looks great, but when they are the only 17 plays you are involved in...it doesnt help as much. I would take 12 sacks and 60 tackles from Graham and Ayers over 17 sacks and 30 tackles from Doom any day

Ok i agree, but lets just keep Doom, and then draft Graham to play on the other side. Those 2 pressuring would be an absolute nightmare for opposing O-lines. DJ and Larsen i think would be more than adequate to play the ILB roles.
And if Ayers can just add 15 LBS and play DE, DEN would be set on defense, with only drafting 1 player.

WARHORSE
03-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Range vs. Run 2

Lacks ideal range but makes up for it with sound pursuit angles and effort. Shows above-average lateral mobility when scraping down the line of scrimmage and is athletic enough to slip blocks in space. Could do a better job of using hands to protect legs against cut blocks.

I believe this will be exposed at the NFL level.

Instincts can help you play faster on the pro level, but good teams will expose a player like this.
NFL offenses are better at confusing players with multiple sets and movements. Teams will get their speedy TEs locked on McClain, and he simply will not be able to stay with them.

Also, in our scheme, the four LBers need to be able to bring some heat.....McClain is not a good blitzer. If theres a gaping hole in front of him, he can get into the backfield. Put ANY player in front of him on the way to the QB, and he gets stopped 49 times out of 50.

I HOPE McClain has a fantastic career and can prove me wrong. Wont be the first time. But I dont want to draft him.

At all.

xzn
03-13-2010, 03:13 AM
I believe this will be exposed at the NFL level.

Instincts can help you play faster on the pro level, but good teams will expose a player like this.
NFL offenses are better at confusing players with multiple sets and movements. Teams will get their speedy TEs locked on McClain, and he simply will not be able to stay with them.

Also, in our scheme, the four LBers need to be able to bring some heat.....McClain is not a good blitzer. If theres a gaping hole in front of him, he can get into the backfield. Put ANY player in front of him on the way to the QB, and he gets stopped 49 times out of 50.

I HOPE McClain has a fantastic career and can prove me wrong. Wont be the first time. But I dont want to draft him.

At all.

I don't know where you get that :confused: everything I've read says he is an effective blitzer. If I didn't know you better I'd think he'd porked your sister or something :eek: J/K

I guess we just see Graham and Mc Clain differently.

Aint either one of us got any say in what'll go down so there's not much point in fussin' 'bout stuff that hasn't even come to pass.

xzn
03-13-2010, 03:19 AM
I have major reservations about thoughts of moving Ayers to a base DE.

To gain 15 lbs of quality muscle mass is no easy thing and there's no telling what could happen to his burst even if he could add 5% to his current body. It's a lot easier for a guy like T. Cody to LOSE 5% than for an already highly conditioned athlete to gain that much muscle mass.

Additionally, it would make him a rookie all over again as he'd be at square one as far as being a five technique at the pro level.

That said, I really am counting on him being a base OLB for us this season and also contributing with his hand down in extra DB situations.

WARHORSE
03-13-2010, 04:44 AM
I don't know where you get that :confused: everything I've read says he is an effective blitzer. If I didn't know you better I'd think he'd porked your sister or something :eek: J/K

I guess we just see Graham and Mc Clain differently.

Aint either one of us got any say in what'll go down so there's not much point in fussin' 'bout stuff that hasn't even come to pass.

Why dont you look at the second of the draft highlight videos and watch the portion called: BLITZING

The guy had three sacks on a very talented defense.

Sure looks to me like he gets owned pretty much the entire time.

Perhaps you can point out the parts that excite you to me so I can share your enthusiasm? :D

The guy is not a blitz threat at this point and time. And doesnt look like a POTENTIAL threat to blitz effectively in the NFL either.

xzn
03-13-2010, 05:01 AM
So you're basing your entire rationale that he can't on one random highlight that some random dude put together?

I'm not going to pretend that I've seen every game he's ever played but the scouting reports I've read state that he is a good blitzer.

Frankly, even if he wasn't it wouldn't make much difference because what we need is a plugger who can make sure the team is aligned correctly and be the heart of the defense, especially once Dawkins is gone.

We already have Doom and Ayers to rush the passer.

BTW, you can't be serious about moving Ayers to Mack?!?

WARHORSE
03-13-2010, 05:10 AM
So you're basing your entire rationale that he can't on one random highlight that some random dude put together?

I'm not going to pretend that I've seen every game he's ever played but the scouting reports I've read state that he is a good blitzer.

Frankly, even if he wasn't it wouldn't make much difference because what we need is a plugger who can make sure the team is aligned correctly and be the heart of the defense, especially once Dawkins is gone.

We already have Doom and Ayers to rush the passer.

BTW, you can't be serious about moving Ayers to Mack?!?

Yes Im basing my entire rationale on what I see on tape. What am I supposed to do..........deduct that hes a good blitzer when all his highlight reels show no aptitude for the art?

As for Doom and Ayers rushing the passer, how many times did Ayers sack someone?

Bat a pass?

Pressure the QB?

Ayers, while he may develop into a good rusher, is nothing of the sort now.

Graham is like Doom in rushing the passer, but a better run stopper.

You go ahead and keep hoping McClain..........and I'll keep hoping Graham, unless I can get Suh, or Morgan or McCoy.:salute:

Elevation inc
03-13-2010, 05:53 AM
trade back to around 15 or 16 and get sean weatherspoon please....no thanks to mcclain....

xzn
03-13-2010, 07:41 AM
Yes Im basing my entire rationale on what I see on tape. What am I supposed to do..........deduct that hes a good blitzer when all his highlight reels show no aptitude for the art?

As for Doom and Ayers rushing the passer, how many times did Ayers sack someone?

Bat a pass?

Pressure the QB?

Ayers, while he may develop into a good rusher, is nothing of the sort now.

Graham is like Doom in rushing the passer, but a better run stopper.

You go ahead and keep hoping McClain..........and I'll keep hoping Graham, unless I can get Suh, or Morgan or McCoy.:salute:

Well, first off what I'm really "hoping" for is Trent Williams or Jimmy Clausen to slide. :D

Tonight I went and watched everything I could find of videos of Mc Clain, Graham and Morgan. You say you've looked at ONE video of Mc Clain, you need to see more. In 15 min. or so of footage I saw a TON of great tackling, a clinic on stack-shed, excellent awareness in zone, passes defensed in man and "yes" effective blitzes. More importantly I saw the quarterback of the defense that went undefeated under Nick Saban make sure his teammates knew what they were supposed to do based on his legendary work ethic in film preparation. I'd post a link but a simple visit to youtube will get anyone who wants all of the above. :cool:

I also really liked what I saw of Morgan and Graham. They are very good players. Neither one is rated as highly as Ayers was taken last year. There's no guarantee that either of them would do better, or even as well, in their rookie seasons as Ayers will in his first veteran campaign.

I want to thank you for standing on the table for Graham. It made me take a closer look than I had previously and I'll be cheering for him if that is the direction that we go on draft day. ;)