PDA

View Full Version : Would You Want a Humbled Brandon Marshall?

WARHORSE
03-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Im not starting a BM thread just to start one.

Well, maybe I am.

Crap.:coffee:

But in looking at everything that has come to our eyes and ears in the past couple of months, Im thinking Brandon may very well mean it when he says hes willing to play in Denver.

Did the Broncos really offer him a deal worth 9 plus mil a year?

Did he really think he is going to command more?

Does he, or his agent understand just how damaging a little video of him punting balls in practice can be?

Does he really think catching 100 plus balls again erases those images?

Did he really think that coaches who watched McD bench him in the final game were going to look favorably on him because of that? Does he think that MRIs that show no damage on your supposedly injured hamstring doesnt make coaches blink?

And if they do, and they think theres a possibility that you were faking it for your own selfish reasons, dont you know thats a death sentence in most organizations viewpoints?

My thoughts are this: IF, and thats a big IF........Brandon is hearing an offer on the table from Seattle that is not more than what the Broncos offered last year, and hes seeing that no one is jumping through hoops to sign him.......is it possible he is starting to see himself without the #15 sunglasses on?

And if thats the case.....and hes being humbled by it.....is it possible that he can rediscover his early career attitude of wanting to be a HOFer and hunker down and play ball?

IF he gets an awesome deal from Denver, not the mega deal that makes him the highest paid WR in the league, but one like Mr. White in Atlantas, and he ends up being content with that.......TRULY content.....Id love to keep him if he had a new view.

When you dont hear anyone stepping up to the plate to give you 10 million a year.......all of a sudden 9.5 million a year sounds REALLY.......REALLY good doesnt it?

The question is this: If we had a humbled out, team player, hard working Brandon Marshall not only willing to play in Denver but WANTING to play in Denver..........wouldnt this be the best case scenario?

Would you want him in that scenario or the 6th pick?

Traveler
03-09-2010, 05:17 PM
I'd keep him only if he could guarantee that "BAD BRANDON" was dead forever.

shank
03-09-2010, 05:17 PM
i would be surprised if anyone WOULDN'T want his production on the field without all the other stuff.

atwater27
03-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Bye Bye Brandon. Plenty of bitches to smack up somewhere else.

Ravage!!!
03-09-2010, 05:22 PM
It wasn't the money per year that was the problem, it was the fact that it had little up-front. Thats putting all the risk in Marshall. When he has already been mis-diagnosed with injury, and put his entire career on the line because this medical staff messed up (and those MRI's didn't show anything either, so MRI's don't show everything, an certainly won't change the mind of anyone)... he's not going to be willing to play with no up-front money. If he gets injured, he's been shown that the Broncos arent going to pay. He knows that no team will pay a player after he's injured.

Seattle is going to come forward with an offer. Its not going to be to offer him one that places them in a position that forfeits the #6 pick, though. I think that Denver ends up getting the 38th pick for him, in the long run, and probably another pick in 2011. It might come to the point that Seattle gives up the 14th, but we'll see.

I just don't think McD wants him here. Not so much that Brandon doesn't want to be here.

WARHORSE
03-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Now I need to ask you another question:

If we had that Brandon......the humbled one......and he was signed long term........what do you think he would do if he found out his fiance, or new bride was out riding other horses?

Do you really think he would be able to keep his anger in check?

Or do you think he would go blank on her?

That scenario is in the minds of every team that looks at Brandon.

Frankly....look at what that would lead to.

SOCALORADO.
03-09-2010, 05:24 PM
I dont want a humbled Marshall.
Frankly, i could care less about Marshalls attitude.
I want a Marshall that stays out of trouble off the field and acts like a mature, "team guy" when hes playing for the Denver Broncos.
Thats it. Act like a law abiding adult, and Bowlen will treat him like one.

underrated29
03-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Give me the 6th.

Here is my reasoning.

Brandon albeit a stud WR. Is overrated. He is a posssesion WR and ELite at RAC!. However, he still takes plays off and does not give it his all. Now this is not reason enough for the 6th alone. So then I take this into account....

With 6 and 11- we can most likely land Bradford or clausen. I like Orton, but we all know that the FO does not think he is the future of this franchise. And I believe we are kinda in the same boat as we were with plummer. Kyle will be able to get us really far, but never over the hump. Even with all this it is still not enough to replace brandon for 6. So then I factor in this.....

I still think that we can find a replacment for brandon in a guy like demaryus thomas. I know a few on here think he blows or whatever, and they may be right, but I really believe that we could find a replacement for him either this year in 2/3 or next year early on.

So when I weigh things out it looks like:

Brandon stays- awesome, Stud WR, Game changer on our side

6th- possible STUD QB, Possible replacement this year for him (6-clausen,11 bryant) or guys like thomas, mithcell in the second rounds, or replacement next year.

I just do not think we are going to get the most out of marshall if he stays with our current QB, and I know nothing is proven in prospects, but I also do not like that our whole offense revolves around him. Kyle or whoever is QB needs to spread the ball around more and stop locking in on him. If brandon were gone, i beleive we might actually be able to move the ball better as kyle will take what the d gives him and scan the field better....

**note this was not an easy decision and I would be happy with either scenario, but when i break it all down, this looks to benefit the team the most imo.

WARHORSE
03-09-2010, 05:27 PM
I want a Marshall that stays out of trouble off the field and acts like a mature, "team guy" when hes playing for the Denver Broncos.

I guess by saying humbled thats the type of guy I was referring to.

But still..........I saw his fiance in a report by Josina the moonlighting joke of a reporter, and frankly, her whole personality scared me.

I thought to myself.......wont be long.

Ravage!!!
03-09-2010, 05:30 PM
I don't think Marshall is only a possession reciever and we won't have Orton forever. If we get rid of every good player we have because we won't get the most of them with our current QB... then we are screwed.

dogfish
03-09-2010, 05:43 PM

yea, this. . . i don't give a shit if he's humble or the biggest egomaniac who ever lived, if he can stay out of legal trouble, keep working hard on the field and not be too much of a gigantic headache and distraction. . .

atwater27
03-09-2010, 05:47 PM
But what makes you guys think he would actually be humbled? Good God, some of you are like the gilfriend that gets the shit kicked out of her and then acually believes the guy when he says he loves her and that he'll never do it again.

WARHORSE
03-09-2010, 06:06 PM
But what makes you guys think he would actually be humbled? Good God, some of you are like the gilfriend that gets the shit kicked out of her and then acually believes the guy when he says he loves her and that he'll never do it again.

heh heh

Its a possibility, no?

HYPO>>>>>>>THETICAL:coffee:

Tned
03-09-2010, 06:14 PM
yea, this. . . i don't give a shit if he's humble or the biggest egomaniac who ever lived, if he can stay out of legal trouble, keep working hard on the field and not be too much of a gigantic headache and distraction. . .

Exactly.

This is the difference between where I am and a lot of people on this board. I don't care if he's humble. Shit, I want him and other good players to be cocky asses. As long as he works his ass off and keeps producing on the field (which by definition means he avoids a suspension), then I could care less if he is humble.

It's like when I or a family member goes under the knife. I want the cocky surgeon that jokes about how simple the surgery is compared to other surgeries he performs. I don't want the humble guy. Humble is overrated, IMO.

GEM
03-09-2010, 06:35 PM
He's been humbled a few times....hasn't changed his behavior. :shrugs: Shut up and play football man.

weazel
03-09-2010, 06:40 PM
YES

oh sorry, I thought you said "hobbled"

Northman
03-09-2010, 07:27 PM
I would of taken a humbled Marshall like 2 years ago. Too late homeboy, hit the road jack and gimme your first rounder.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-09-2010, 07:30 PM
I do not believe at all he will ever change, BUT IF HE DID...hell yes! Bring him back.

Ziggy
03-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Unfortunately, we probably won't be getting either one. Get a first rounder, any first rounder, and send him on his way.

broncophan
03-10-2010, 07:12 AM
Have gone through waaay to many "ifs" with Marshall..........his "kickball" episode during a game early in the season sealed the deal for me...100 catches per season or not.......pack your bags and c'ya later....

Dirk
03-10-2010, 08:17 AM
I would love to have a "humbled" BMarsh on the team. But humbled only in the sense that he understands other teams won't spend the high $$ on him like he thinks. Maybe if he was humbled on that aspect of it, his other in-game/in-practice hijinx would go away.

Other than that, he has to be cocky about his abilities while on the field. Most of the "stars" are cocky in that respect. It makes them excel on the field.

Now having said that, I don't see any of that happening, so I voted to get the 6th pick.

broncofaninfla
03-10-2010, 08:50 AM
We are a better team with Marshall playing WR for us. Lets face it, this offense needs all the help it can get.

Nomad
03-10-2010, 08:55 AM
We are a better team with Marshall playing WR for us. Lets face it, this offense needs all the help it can get.

We are better but Marshall will never change though I wish he would because I can forgive and forget! It's the WO mentality of the NFL (along with QBs) and there are only a handful that become elite and humble at the same time. I'm afraid Marshall won't be one of them and that's why teams aren't rushing for his services!!

CoachChaz
03-10-2010, 08:56 AM

Depends. If by losing Marshall, we turn the payment received into improvements at 2 positions, then technically...we'd be a better "team" by losing him.

Lose him for the #6 pick and turn that pick into 2 later picks and draft 2 solid players of need and I'm happy.

Nomad
03-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Depends. If by losing Marshall, we turn the payment received into improvements at 2 positions, then technically...we'd be a better "team" by losing him.

Lose him for the #6 pick and turn that pick into 2 later picks and draft 2 solid players of need and I'm happy.

While your TB's scenerio sounds good and Seattle does the deal of giving us #14, what makes you think they'll want the 14 instead of the 2 2nd rds. I would pick my 3rd pick of the draft and keep my 2nd rds unless there was a must have player at 14 worth 2 2nd rds!!

CoachChaz
03-10-2010, 09:32 AM
While your TB's scenerio sounds good and Seattle does the deal of giving us #14, what makes you think they'll want the 14 instead of the 2 2nd rds. I would pick my 3rd pick of the draft and keep my 2nd rds unless there was a must have player at 14 worth 2 2nd rds!!

Just speculating and throwing out examples.

Northman
03-10-2010, 09:39 AM

Unfortuantely it all depends on when he feels like playing or if its too cold outside.

Nomad
03-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Just speculating and throwing out examples.

That's cool! I would be excited if TB would bite on this scenerio. I still wish the draft was around the first of April!!

Nomad
03-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Unfortuantely it all depends on when he feels like playing or if its too cold outside.

I wonder what kind of player he'd be if he got paid a base salary and had incentatives through his production on the field (hell all players at that). The better you do the more you get paid! I know that's not possible but I bet it would be a different game as far as these highly paid players giving it 100% every game!!

Northman
03-10-2010, 10:13 AM
I wonder what kind of player he'd be if he got paid a base salary and had incentatives through his production on the field (hell all players at that). The better you do the more you get paid! I know that's not possible but I bet it would be a different game as far as these highly paid players giving it 100% every game!!

Yea, unfortuantely thats why the players have agents. I mean, when you look at Brandon's play on the field there is no question that he deserves more money. The problem is the other crap that he does that is a detriment to the team. However, the agent isnt going to allow Brandon to get in a contract to where there are clauses that if he screws up he wont get paid. This is why after TO left Philly that Dallas was the only team to pick him up because they werent going to put those stipulations in the contract. And as we saw TO became a spectacle once again caused interior problems in the lockeroom. With Brandon, it actually gets a little more concerning because if he screws up off the field (unlike TO) than he will face suspensions which would be a direct result of not being able to play games. So while he is keeping his nose clean right now he has a history of having issues every year and now add in the punting the ball and bad attitude stuff before and towards the end of the season and there just isnt anyway that Denver will risk signing him. I suppose if Brandon doesnt get dealt and keeps his nose clean as well as play well this year he might get reconsidered. But, i think its a little too late on his part to finally decide to fix himself.

Lonestar
03-10-2010, 11:28 AM
If BM had kept his nose clean this past season, teams would be lining up to out bid each other.

But he had the EOY FUBAR, that showed his true colors after ALMOST redemming himslef after the really STUPID antics in TC.

He is the only one to blame for making US and every other team worry about giving him Guaranteed money.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

claymore
03-10-2010, 11:57 AM
If BM had kept his nose clean this past season, teams would be lining up to out bid each other.

But he had the EOY FUBAR, that showed his true colors after ALMOST redemming himslef after the really STUPID antics in TC.

He is the only one to blame for making US and every other team worry about giving him Guaranteed money.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

McDaniels is the one that had the issue not Marshall.

Broncolingus
03-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Tough question...

I voted 'gimme the 6th' only because that's where I think realistically we are - I don’t think dude (regardless of what he says) wants to play here anymore.

Of course, however, if someone had a crystal ball and said dude was going to become a team-player - of which I think humility is a big part of - and stop being a dumbass, then of course we'd want him to stay.

Bottom line, though, seems to me by his actions, BM feels he is 'above' all that team stuff and rules for good social behavior stuff, AND knows he's a tremendously gifted athlete, and just is going to do his own thing...

JMO...

Lonestar
03-10-2010, 02:08 PM

Sure it was, like your Josh can do no good attitude. Make sense to only a few.

We all know that BM caused it all via his attitude over the past 4 years. While he says he will change and does for a while he reverts back to being baby TO when the chips are down.

Northman
03-10-2010, 02:17 PM

Not totally, at the beginning of the season it was Marshall who was acting like an asshat. Im assuming McD thought he was pulling the same shenanigans later in the season based off history. Doesnt make what McD right but when you have a player who constantly has issues of one thing or another it wouldnt be surprising that a young coach would assume that Brandon was pulling his BS again.

Lonestar
03-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Not totally, at the beginning of the season it was Marshall who was acting like an asshat. Im assuming McD thought he was pulling the same shenanigans later in the season based off history. Doesnt make what McD right but when you have a player who constantly has issues of one thing or another it wouldnt be surprising that a young coach would assume that Brandon was pulling his BS again.

If it was JUST these two times he has screed the pooch then I'd be the first to say it was not his issue. But one can't not count the number of fubars that marshall has had during/since college.

I can see why Josh took a hard line with him, had it been me I think I would have suspend him for the game. to Try and get this clowns attention.

Time for him to move on and be someone else problem or hero.

broncobryce
03-10-2010, 02:25 PM

Exactly. But what does being a "young coach" have to do with it? Anyone who cries wolf too many times gets that reputation.

Northman
03-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Exactly. But what does being a "young coach" have to do with it? Anyone who cries wolf too many times gets that reputation.

It just means he didnt know the player very well and only went by reputation. An experienced coach probably would of handled that situation much differently and that was the point of my comment.

Northman
03-10-2010, 02:43 PM
If it was JUST these two times he has screed the pooch then I'd be the first to say it was not his issue. But one can't not count the number of fubars that marshall has had during/since college.

I can see why Josh took a hard line with him, had it been me I think I would have suspend him for the game. to Try and get this clowns attention.

Time for him to move on and be someone else problem or hero.

Again, im not putting the brunt of the blame on McD. However, you dont air your dirty laundry and call out players either. Thats just not a good thing and most players and coaches will tell you the same thing. I think because of his inexperience as a HC and from his earlier dealings with Marshall Mcd did something he should not have. But i havent put the ownage on McD, Marshall is the problem and has been for a long time now.

Lonestar
03-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Again, im not putting the brunt of the blame on McD. However, you dont air your dirty laundry and call out players either. Thats just not a good thing and most players and coaches will tell you the same thing. I think because of his inexperience as a HC and from his earlier dealings with Marshall Mcd did something he should not have. But i havent put the ownage on McD, Marshall is the problem and has been for a long time now.

I can see your point not something you want to do but sometimes tough love is how you have to deal with problem kids. and regardless of his skills he has still got problems.

I think Josh was very restrained all year after BM came back from being suspend and FRANKLY I thought he "got it" (BM). Because he towed the line and said all the right things, I think that Josh believed it also. Thought they had repaired their relationship, only to see him FUBAR again on the cold air lungs, then a few days later "tweak" his hammy.

I think Josh felt betrayed by his lack of TEAM focus and IMHO justly called him out.

Sometimes crap happens and when your around BM long enough it is goon happen more often that sometimes.

Does anyone really believe that BM is going to clean up his act and fly right from here on out?

Come on be honest with yourself.

The old adage "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on ME. applies here.

Tned
03-10-2010, 03:08 PM

Responding to a lot of the posts in this thread, not just this one of yours.

First, like in week 17, we don't know all the details of what happened in training camp leading up to the punting incident. What was reported was that Josh put Brandon on the scout team running as a safety and as a punt gunner and then withdrew from the offense and started hanging out with the defense (he was a safety afterall).

We don't know if Marshall did something to deserve this, but most NFL talking heads would argue that you don't take your number one offensive star and put him on the scout team.

After that, he pulled the punting incident. Now, did Josh have a good reason to publicly humiliate his number one offensive weapon by putting him on the scout team? Maybe, we don't know, because Josh was tight lipped about the details.

However, that action was very similar to his week 17 actions against Marshall. I have NO problem with the team playing hard ball with players and think they should. I have a problem when it appears that the coach is getting into a pissing contest with a player, or trying to prove that he is the boss.

As with the Cutler incident, I find fault with both parties, but some people on here take a "Josh can do no wrong" attitude, because of their hate for Marshall and anything related to the previous front office.

Lonestar
03-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Responding to a lot of the posts in this thread, not just this one of yours.

First, like in week 17, we don't know all the details of what happened in training camp leading up to the punting incident. What was reported was that Josh put Brandon on the scout team running as a safety and as a punt gunner and then withdrew from the offense and started hanging out with the defense (he was a safety afterall).

We don't know if Marshall did something to deserve this, but most NFL talking heads would argue that you don't take your number one offensive star and put him on the scout team.

After that, he pulled the punting incident. Now, did Josh have a good reason to publicly humiliate his number one offensive weapon by putting him on the scout team? Maybe, we don't know, because Josh was tight lipped about the details.

However, that action was very similar to his week 17 actions against Marshall. I have NO problem with the team playing hard ball with players and think they should. I have a problem when it appears that the coach is getting into a pissing contest with a player, or trying to prove that he is the boss.

As with the Cutler incident, I find fault with both parties, but some people on here take a "Josh can do no wrong" attitude, because of their hate for Marshall and anything related to the previous front office.

HE IS the BOSS seems that BM has not figured that out yet.

I do not know of anyone that thinks Josh can do not wrong, or ahs not made mistakes.

And most likely it is not hate for the kid just plain tired of putting up with crapola.

You mistake "hate" for tough love.

Ravage!!!
03-10-2010, 04:54 PM
The old adage "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on ME. applies here.

I've said the same thing about McD

Tned
03-10-2010, 05:16 PM
HE IS the BOSS seems that BM has not figured that out yet.

I do not know of anyone that thinks Josh can do not wrong, or ahs not made mistakes.

And most likely it is not hate for the kid just plain tired of putting up with crapola.

You mistake "hate" for tough love.

No, your hate for Marshall, aka Moron, et. al., is pretty clear. I didn't mistake anything.

Thanks for making my point. He is the boss, so he shouldn't be acting like he needs to prove it. Something I was told early in my business career is that here is a difference between being boss and being bossy.

weazel
03-10-2010, 06:15 PM

I would have to believe that the truth lies somewhere in between

Tned
03-10-2010, 06:26 PM
I would have to believe that the truth lies somewhere in between

There is no scenario in which Marshall is an innocent victim in what happened last year.

Lonestar
03-10-2010, 07:06 PM
No, your hate for Marshall, aka Moron, et. al., is pretty clear. I didn't mistake anything.

Thanks for making my point. He is the boss, so he shouldn't be acting like he needs to prove it. Something I was told early in my business career is that here is a difference between being boss and being bossy.

For what is worth I do not use the term as a "hate " merely an apt description of what he is.

mo·ron   [mawr-on, mohr-]
–noun
a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgment.

Word Origin & History

moron
1910, from Gk. (Attic) moron, neut. of moros "foolish, dull" (probably cognate with Skt. murah "idiotic;" L. morus "foolish" is a loan-word from Gk.).
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/moron

While I grew up int the streets, my foul mouth only was enhanced while in the navy. I gave up cursing decades ago when I figured out it was unbecoming and Upper management Guy in a huge Corporation. I substituted word like moron, dillweed, clown, knucklehead, doofus, for you dumb ************.

Instead of using profanity in front of my wife or kids the guy that cuts me off on the highway or drives 45 in the fast lane becomes a moron, or doofus. It is certainly not a term of endearment, when used in that way.

I'm truly sorry that you think that moron is a "hate" word if you feel that strongly then perhaps it should be added to the word filter.

Let me add that some folks do not get that he is the boss and it occasionally has to be reiterated and for those that do not get it they bear the responsibility as well for forcing him to do so.

sneakers
03-11-2010, 12:53 AM
I thought this thread said "Would You Want a HUNDRED Brandon Marshall?

JDL
03-11-2010, 09:25 PM
No...

He betrayed his teammates... I just don't think you can ever forgive that.

But, you don't give him away. But, to me... a 1st rd pick is all you could expect and all the dreamers thinking top 10 are just freaking nuts (I swear common sense would be nice now and again!) I think more value could be gotten though in a player for player trade... I still think the Bears are serious and I still wouldn't be surprised to hear Brian Urlacher's name or David Harris of the Jets. I mean look what the Raiders could get for a malcontent hall of famer... you have to make a move that makes sense and sometimes rookies(draft picks) can be fairly overrated... it's their contracts that teams value so much and makes teams so unlikely to trade picks particularly 1st rd picks because it is standard for those players to be signed to 5yr deals.

Tned
03-11-2010, 09:28 PM
No...

He betrayed his teammates... I just don't think you can ever forgive that.

How did he betray his teammates?

turftoad
03-11-2010, 09:32 PM
For what is worth I do not use the term as a "hate " merely an apt description of what he is.

mo·ron   [mawr-on, mohr-]
–noun
a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgment.

Word Origin & History

moron
1910, from Gk. (Attic) moron, neut. of moros "foolish, dull" (probably cognate with Skt. murah "idiotic;" L. morus "foolish" is a loan-word from Gk.).
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/moron

While I grew up int the streets, my foul mouth only was enhanced while in the navy. I gave up cursing decades ago when I figured out it was unbecoming and Upper management Guy in a huge Corporation. I substituted word like moron, dillweed, clown, knucklehead, doofus, for you dumb ************.

Instead of using profanity in front of my wife or kids the guy that cuts me off on the highway or drives 45 in the fast lane becomes a moron, or doofus. It is certainly not a term of endearment, when used in that way.

I'm truly sorry that you think that moron is a "hate" word if you feel that strongly then perhaps it should be added to the word filter.

Let me add that some folks do not get that he is the boss and it occasionally has to be reiterated and for those that do not get it they bear the responsibility as well for forcing him to do so.

So this could describe our head coach also then, right? He must be a moron too.

Lonestar
03-12-2010, 01:16 AM
So this could describe our head coach also then, right? He must be a moron too.

Just how many times has he been arrested, or for that matter how many police reports filed, how many times suspended by the team and last but not least how many times in the league office defending himself against being suspended.

Just admit you can't get past mike not being here and Josh replacing him.

Look you do not like him fine by me, but get used to him as he will be here a long time.

On some things we will have to agree to disagree and this is one of them.

BroncoAV06
03-12-2010, 10:41 AM
At least he is not Ben Roethlisberger!

roomemp
03-12-2010, 12:36 PM
How did he betray his teammates?

He instigated a situation which led to the death of one of his teammates.

BroncoAV06
03-12-2010, 08:47 PM
He instigated a situation which led to the death of one of his teammates.

Epic fail = you.