PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign Jarvis Green

bahama0811
03-09-2010, 02:58 PM
The Broncos have signed defensive end Jarvis Green.

PostBroncos on Twitter (https://twitter.com/PostBroncos)

shank
03-09-2010, 03:00 PM
i like it

dogfish
03-09-2010, 03:08 PM
nice one!

broncofaninfla
03-09-2010, 03:09 PM
yay.......yet another Patriot.

Lonestar
03-09-2010, 03:10 PM
This works for me.

Now we just seem to be a tad Light in the middle and then we will be fine with some good to great depth.

Now it is time to kick some ass on the OLINE and NT

UnderArmour
03-09-2010, 03:13 PM
He had better not be another worthless Le Kevin Smith type player.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-09-2010, 03:14 PM
http://twitter.com/ADAM_SCHEFTER

DE Jarvis Green's deal with Denver: Four years, max value of $20 million, $4.5 million in first year of deal and $7.5 million in first two.

broncofaninfla
03-09-2010, 03:16 PM

He played BEHIND Smith at New England if that tells you anything. His production fell off substantially last year on a line that had Wilfork. We don't have a Wilfork or anybody like him. I sure hope we didn't pay this cat like a starter because he isn't any better than anybody we fielded last year.

dogfish
03-09-2010, 03:16 PM

he's no star, but he's far better than le kevin smith. . .

he's been NE's 4th DL in the rotation for years now, he's not a bum. . .

CoachChaz
03-09-2010, 03:18 PM
he's no star, but he's far better than le kevin smith. . .

he's been NE's 4th DL in the rotation for years now, he's not a bum. . .

But he's a former member of the best team of the past decade...therefore people will find reasons to hate him and the signing.

Buff
03-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Clay is going to be so excited when he hears the news.

Italianmobstr7
03-09-2010, 03:20 PM
I like the signing. Still holding out hope we get Dwan Edwards, Rex Hadnot, Jamal Williams. At least 2 of the 3 would be nice.

Northman
03-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Yawn........

T.K.O.
03-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Green is going to Denver
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 9, 2010 3:14 PM ET
The New England to Denver pipeline is alive and well.

The Broncos announced Tuesday they signed defensive end Jarvis Green, who played the first eight years of his career with the Patriots. New England was hoping to keep him.

Green won't post splashy stats (he has three sacks the last two years), but he's a rock solid rotation end in a 3-4 defense. The Broncos simply needed competent warm bodies, and they've now added Justin Bannan and Green.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports Green will earn $7.5 million in the first two years of a four-year contract. The total value of the deal can reach $20 million.

broncofaninfla
03-09-2010, 03:25 PM
But he's a former member of the best team of the past decade...therefore people will find reasons to hate him and the signing.

His association with that team doesn't make him a great addition to our team. We did nothing to improve our team by signing him IMO and just spent $$$ that could have been used towards "Broncos" that have earned the money for Denver. Holliday is a better DE than this cat.....

dogfish
03-09-2010, 03:26 PM
He played BEHIND Smith at New England if that tells you anything.

no he didn't. . . in 8 years in NE, green only missed 7 games, and he started 46 games. . . in only 3 years in NE, smith missed 17 games and didn't have a single start. . . green averaged 19 tackles per year, smith put up 18 tackles in 3 years. . .

green has been the top non-starter in their DL rotation for years, has started plenty of games for them due to injury and/or matchups, and has always seen heavy action in their rotation. . .

smith was a pure backup who got on the field when somebody else needed a breather. . .

please don't make shit up just to make our guys look bad. . .

everybody knows this isn't a star signing, but he's a far more experienced, accomplished and competent pro lineman than the likes of le kevin smith. . .

silkamilkamonico
03-09-2010, 03:27 PM
He played BEHIND Smith at New England if that tells you anything. His production fell off substantially last year on a line that had Wilfork. We don't have a Wilfork or anybody like him. I sure hope we didn't pay this cat like a starter because he isn't any better than anybody we fielded last year.

No, he never played behind Smith. I'm not sure where you got that information. Smith not once started a game in NE. And his sack numbers dropped off last year because off a chronic ankle injury he sprained in the early part of the year, which led to him losing his starting spot to Wright.

He's better than anything we've had, and he came from the Patriots organization. I mean, who wants players that have actually been a part of a winning culture...

Shazam!
03-09-2010, 03:39 PM
McDaniels could get a young Tom Brady out of a time machine and some people would find a way to bitch about it.

CoachChaz
03-09-2010, 03:41 PM
McDaniels could get a young Tom Brady out of a time machine and some people would find a way to bitch about it.

Because it would be arrogant and egotistical for McDaniels to want to sign a good player and win a football game. What a *******

Northman
03-09-2010, 03:41 PM

On the other hand, McD could sign of a piece of dogshit to the squad and some people proclaim it a "star" signing. :lol:

CoachChaz
03-09-2010, 03:46 PM
On the other hand, McD could sign of a piece of dogshit to the squad and some people proclaim it a "star" signing. :lol:

I think that number is far lower and would consist of the same people that would make that player out to be a star if Shanny or anyone else signed him.

nevcraw
03-09-2010, 03:47 PM
like it.. now sign williams and dude from baltimore.

claymore
03-09-2010, 03:48 PM
I hate the patriots.

atwater27
03-09-2010, 03:52 PM

Wow. You've singlehandedly dismissed any valid reason for criticism of the move.:rolleyes:

Denver Native (Carol)
03-09-2010, 03:52 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14641053

The Broncos dipped back into the New England player pool today, signing free-agent defensive end Jarvis Green from the Patriots.

The Broncos signed Green to a four-year deal. He can make an averagae of $3.5 million in the first two seasons.

Green visited with Broncos officials at Dove Valley on Monday. His agent told the Boston Herald last week that Green's priorities in the offseason were to re-sign with New England or move to Denver.

The 31-year-old Green, at 6-feet-3, 285 pounds, played eight seasons for the Patriots. His time there overlapped with Broncos coach Josh McDaniels from 2002-08.

He will join several former New England faces in Denver, including McDaneils, wide receiver Jabar Gaffney, long-snapper Lonie Paxton and offensive lineman Russ Hochstein.

The Broncos are still negotiating with San Diego nose tackle Jamal Williams, who still is in Denver talking with the Broncos.

atwater27
03-09-2010, 03:56 PM

Whatever, guy. I and every other fan critical of Josh would be stoked to get a player the quality of Tom Brady. So you are wrong.
Unfortunately, Josh only delivered us Kyle Orton. One could only dream he would swing us some actual talent. He is, though, pretty good at trading away our talent, or leaving it on the bench.

atwater27
03-09-2010, 03:57 PM

Post of the week.:salute:

atwater27
03-09-2010, 03:58 PM
LMAO!!! Comment from the pft story....

azbears says:
March 9, 2010 3:21 PM
I wonder if the signings between the teams come with gray hoodies

T.K.O.
03-09-2010, 03:58 PM
i just can't believe people are'nt excited about this news....josh mcdaniels has a time machine !:elefant::laugh:
we can go back and get a young john elway !
or would that cause some sort of disruption (paradox) in the space time continuum ?
maybe it would then negate johns original great career and he would somehow end up on the colts......

CoachChaz
03-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Wow. You've singlehandedly dismissed any valid reason for criticism of the move.:rolleyes:

Ya like that, huh?

Actually, ny point was more towards the people that will dislike the move simply because he's a former Patriot...regardless of his ability.

My opinion...decent signing. He's more of a pass rusher than a run stopper in my opinion, but he's probably better than McBean & Co., so based on what's available, I'm cool with the upgrade.

CoachChaz
03-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Whatever, guy. I and every other fan critical of Josh would be stoked to get a player the quality of Tom Brady. So you are wrong.
Unfortunately, Josh only delivered us Kyle Orton. One could only dream he would swing us some actual talent. He is, though, pretty good at trading away our talent, or leaving it on the bench.

What talent was left on the bench?

Nad by talent, I dont mean 250 pound running backs whose mediocre contributions are blown up into HOF careers.

getlynched47
Good signing, but I wouldn't count on his as a starter.

He's not great against the run, and he's been in decline as a pass-rusher since his 2006 and 2007 seasons of 7.5 and 6.5 sacks.

However, he's a very solid and valuable rotational player for us. Much better than the crappy ass rotation we had last season. Vonnie Holliday was our only legitimate rotational lineman last season.

atwater27
Ya like that, huh?

Actually, ny point was more towards the people that will dislike the move simply because he's a former Patriot...regardless of his ability.

My opinion...decent signing. He's more of a pass rusher than a run stopper in my opinion, but he's probably better than McBean & Co., so based on what's available, I'm cool with the upgrade.

Agreed. Can't complain about the signing. Nothing wrong with solid depth.

Medford Bronco
03-09-2010, 04:04 PM

he is better than him I can assure you.

He is not awesome but pretty good IMO

dogfish
03-09-2010, 04:05 PM

okay, so what's the valid criticism for the move?

people don't like it because he played in new england? no different than going after guys from baltimore, or jamal williams from san diego-- you need linemen, you get the best ones available and nevermind where they played before. . .

he isn't the big name signing people wanted? tell me what better 30-front linemen were avilable in FA, then. . .

or what-- are people going to complain that we overpayed. . . in an uncapped year?

:rofl:

i mean, shit. . . it's not like i'm all excited about getting justin bannan and jarvis green. . . i'd vastly prefer adding guys like wilfork and ngata. . . unfortunately, they weren't available, so i'm not going to complain that we're doing the best we can within the available means to improve ourselves. . .

atwater27
03-09-2010, 04:05 PM
What talent was left on the bench?

Nad by talent, I dont mean 250 pound running backs whose mediocre contributions are blown up into HOF careers.

You are certainly a man of extremes. But then again, so am I.

CoachChaz
03-09-2010, 04:07 PM
You are certainly a man of extremes. But then again, so am I.

Which is why our love for each other is so obvious.

I'm just in a poo-slinging mood this afternoon

silkamilkamonico
03-09-2010, 04:08 PM

people don't like it because he played in new england?

Better yet, I'm still waiting for these posters who supposedly proclaim Jarvis Green to be a "star" because McDaniels signed him...

atwater27
03-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Better yet, I'm still waiting for these posters who supposedly proclaim Jarvis Green to be a "star" because McDaniels signed him...

Just chew on some bubblegum and stare longingly at your poster on the ceiling of Zack Morris. It just makes more sense.

atwater27
03-09-2010, 04:12 PM

people don't like it because he played in new england? no different than going after guys from baltimore, or jamal williams from san diego-- you need linemen, you get the best ones available and nevermind where they played before. . .

he isn't the big name signing people wanted? tell me what better 30-front linemen were avilable in FA, then. . .

or what-- are people going to complain that we overpayed. . . in an uncapped year?

:rofl:

i mean, shit. . . it's not like i'm all excited about getting justin bannan and jarvis green. . . i'd vastly prefer adding guys like wilfork and ngata. . . unfortunately, they weren't available, so i'm not going to complain that we're doing the best we can within the available means to improve ourselves. . .

Your avy makes me feel funny in my pants.

CoachChaz
03-09-2010, 04:13 PM

...and those of us that actually like the signing will be in line with you guys to bash them. I dont think anyone can really bash this signing or get wood over it. Just a solid depth signing at a position of need.

silkamilkamonico
03-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Just chew on some bubblegum and stare longingly at your poster on the ceiling of Zack Morris. It just makes more sense.

LMAO You have a long ways to go to figure that one out. It goes right in long with your alleged "post of the week" comment that Northman stated in, "McD could sign of a piece of dogshit to the squad and some people proclaim it a "star" signing"....which has yet failed to happen...

silkamilkamonico
03-09-2010, 04:26 PM
...and those of us that actually like the signing will be in line with you guys to bash them. I dont think anyone can really bash this signing or get wood over it. Just a solid depth signing at a position of need.

Exactly, which makes the "McD could sign of a piece of dogshit to the squad and some people proclaim it a "star" signing" comment completely irrelevant.

THE719!
03-09-2010, 04:29 PM
I like it. Green is a underrated player.... and I am actually shocked we are getting decent players for the D- line for once not a bunch of no names

atwater27
03-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Exactly, which makes the "McD could sign of a piece of dogshit to the squad and some people proclaim it a "star" signing" comment completely irrelevant.

Good Christ, we all got the point 10 posts ago. Settle down! Your valiant defense of Josh McDaniels has not gone unnoticed. You will get a limited edition Broncos keychain in the mail soon. Don't fret, and keep up the good work!

CoachChaz
03-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Good Christ, we all got the point 10 posts ago. Settle down! Your valiant defense of Josh McDaniels has not gone unnoticed. You will get a limited edition Broncos keychain in the mail soon. Don't fret, and keep up the good work!

Come on now. If anyone knows that some evils are completely necessary, you are one of them. Let people have their way with your comments and you continue to do the same and balance will remain. You know you enjoy it

Medford Bronco
03-09-2010, 04:35 PM
I like it. Green is a underrated player.... and I am actually shocked we are getting decent players for the D- line for once not a bunch of no names

You mean you did not love Sam Adams a few years ago:lol:

and the pancake house fighting guy from the Cowboys. I always forget his name. I know he was a stiff though.

silkamilkamonico
03-09-2010, 04:37 PM

You can save the keychain and place it next to your "Mike Shanahan and Jay Cutler gave us the best below .500 years ever" shrine. My "valiant defense" of Josh McDaniels argues his 8-8 season is identical to Mike Shanahan's 8-8 season, and not actually worse like the McDaniels haters want to so diligently believe.

atwater27
03-09-2010, 04:49 PM
You can save the keychain and place it next to your "Mike Shanahan and Jay Cutler gave us the best below .500 years ever" shrine. My "valiant defense" of Josh McDaniels argues his 8-8 season is identical to Mike Shanahan's 8-8 season, and not actually worse like the McDaniels haters want to so diligently believe.

You don't want the keychain? You dare question the broncos brass decision to reward it's syncophants with whatever it deems necessary?! This will not do. You are going to have to work doubletime defending Josh McDaniels' honor against every criticism, small or big, real or imagined, to get back into his good graces. I have no doubt you are up to the task, and will try your best. I am still going to have to report this transgression to Mr. Bowlen.

Rick
03-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Sounds good to me.

Not a star...but where we don't have stars we can have a nice rotation of fresh solid players.

rationalfan
03-09-2010, 05:36 PM
i like to imagine that if this board existed in 1998 there would have been people claiming shanahan was a terrible coach and that the team should beg dan reeves to return.

nevcraw
03-09-2010, 07:13 PM

But to his credit MCd's epic second half meltdown ranks him at the top of this category.

Lonestar
03-09-2010, 07:22 PM

Gives us breathing room for going after the BPA more than HAVING to sign a DE or NT in the first or second round.

Nothing more or less he is a quality player that is way better than the existing guys.

I wonder how many of the DL folks will go on to play for other teams after we cut them. Like last year almost none of our defensive starter from the year before found jobs ion the NFL and IIRC only one started.

Northman
03-09-2010, 07:23 PM
You don't want the keychain? You dare question the broncos brass decision to reward it's syncophants with whatever it deems necessary?! This will not do. You are going to have to work doubletime defending Josh McDaniels' honor against every criticism, small or big, real or imagined, to get back into his good graces. I have no doubt you are up to the task, and will try your best. I am still going to have to report this transgression to Mr. Bowlen.

Maybe you should ante up with the nifty Broncos eraser. Should seal the deal my man. :beer:

Lonestar
03-09-2010, 07:25 PM
But to his credit MCd's epic second half meltdown ranks him at the top of this category.

Just like mike never had late season fades, ahahahahahahahahahaha

turftoad
Gives us breathing room for going after the BPA more than HAVING to sign a DE or NT in the first or second round.

Nothing more or less he is a quality player that is way better than the existing guys.

I wonder how many of the DL folks will go on to play for other teams after we cut them. Like last year almost none of our defensive starter from the year before found jobs ion the NFL and IIRC only one started.

Not really.

All of our FA DL signings are 30+ in age. DLmen don't ussually excel in thier first year or two anyway.

The signings are OK, not great. We still need some young upcomming guys on the defensive front.

Northman
Stay on topic.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-09-2010, 07:28 PM
solid addition.

Lonestar
03-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Not really.

All of our FA DL signings are 30+ in age. DLmen don't ussually excel in thier first year or two anyway.

The signings are OK, not great. We still need some young upcomming guys on the defensive front.

I did not say we would not draft DE or NT now did I I said it took some of the heat off and will allow us to get BPA that could be one or other of those two maybe even 2 or 3 of them to play behind some quality guys for a change.

We have had zero talent on the DL for almost as far back as I can remember if we had any it was ONE guy like price that was getting doubled and triple teamed. One of the Broncos was great but had bad knees, Beyond that the DL has stunk it up.

I have always maintained that this team needed a complete rebuild, since the Super blow player retired. But everyone else was always touting us reloading instead. Well folks we pretty much hit rock bottom in 08 and it will take a while to stock the cupboards in case some one gets hurt the team does not melt down.

Time will tell one of us is wrong about Josh and I do not think it is me.

turftoad
03-09-2010, 07:39 PM
I did not say we would not draft DE or NT now did I I said it took some of the heat off and will allow us to get BPA that could be one or other of those two maybe even 2 or 3 of them to play behind some quality guys for a change.

We have had zero talent on the DL for almost as far back as I can remember if we had any it was ONE guy like price that was getting doubled and triple teamed. One of the Broncos was great but had bad knees, Beyond that the DL has stunk it up.

I have always maintained that this team needed a complete rebuild, since the Super blow player retired. But everyone else was always touting us reloading instead. Well folks we pretty much hit rock bottom in 08 and it will take a while to stock the cupboards in case some one gets hurt the team does not melt down.

Time will tell one of us is wrong about Josh and I do not think it is me.

We needed a defensive rebuild, not offense.

The signings are good for a year or two and are OK in my book.

Ziggy
03-09-2010, 08:06 PM

That's what I love about you Turf. Even though you don't like McDaniels, you're willing to give him credit when he does something good for the Broncos. Thanks for being objective. :beer:

Tned
03-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Stay on topic.

The "on topic" rule only applies to ppl saying anything critical of McDaniels or positive about Marshall or former coaches/QBs. In all other cases, it's just the natural 'flow' of the thread.

Fan police unite, and burn the haters at the stake!!!

hotcarl
03-09-2010, 08:20 PM
*farts*

:behindsofa:

Tned
03-09-2010, 08:23 PM

While losing 8 of the last 10 was an epic failure, winning 6 straight was an amazing feat. Maybe it's like a batting average, in that over the course of the season it will average out.

I had predicted us as a 7 to 9 win team. While I didn't expect us to get to .500 the way we did, the fact is we played over our heads early on (and got some lucky breaks) and played below our level in the 2nd half.

Hopefully, these DL pickups will allow the defense to hold up better in the second half of the season, because they really looked worn down and less disciplined than they did in the first half.

Tned
03-09-2010, 08:23 PM
*farts*

:behindsofa:

Don't try and blame that on my poodle....

Lonestar
03-09-2010, 09:55 PM

You are entitled to your OPINE and I am to mine.

Where y'all seemed to think our Offense was great under mike I did not.
having thousand yeards runners each year and some times almost two are great but they simply did not get the red zone issues handled for almost a decade now.

and that is the bottom line red zone scoring, TOP and winning the battle on the LOS , Things that IMO we failed at on offense.

Defense is a whole different can of worms and that we agree on.

So let agree to disagree and let it go at that.:salute:

dogfish
03-09-2010, 10:14 PM
That's what I love about you Turf. Even though you don't like McDaniels, you're willing to give him credit when he does something good for the Broncos.

that, and he dances a mean macarena. . .

Denver Native (Carol)
03-09-2010, 10:20 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/video/?id=69009 Looks like interview was at DIA

Bozo Jr.
03-09-2010, 10:56 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/video/?id=69009 Looks like interview was at DIA

Thanks for the link DNCarol. Great interview, seems like
quite the mature character, and a Bronco lover as well!

I 'm liking the fact that this is where he wanted to be. Shows
a great respect for the organization, and the coaching staff.

rcsodak
03-09-2010, 11:21 PM
no he didn't. . . in 8 years in NE, green only missed 7 games, and he started 46 games. . . in only 3 years in NE, smith missed 17 games and didn't have a single start. . . green averaged 19 tackles per year, smith put up 18 tackles in 3 years. . .

green has been the top non-starter in their DL rotation for years, has started plenty of games for them due to injury and/or matchups, and has always seen heavy action in their rotation. . .

smith was a pure backup who got on the field when somebody else needed a breather. . .

please don't make shit up just to make our guys look bad. . .

everybody knows this isn't a star signing, but he's a far more experienced, accomplished and competent pro lineman than the likes of le kevin smith. . .

I sure hope Green averaged more than 19 tackles/year! :shocked:
Or, I guess at the very least, he should be fresh. :elefant:

rcsodak
03-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Good signing, but I wouldn't count on his as a starter.

He's not great against the run, and he's been in decline as a pass-rusher since his 2006 and 2007 seasons of 7.5 and 6.5 sacks.

However, he's a very solid and valuable rotational player for us. Much better than the crappy ass rotation we had last season. Vonnie Holliday was our only legitimate rotational lineman last season.

That's weird.....

...the article I read said he's a good run-stopping 5-technique. :rolleyes:

rcsodak
03-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Your avy makes me feel funny in my pants.

You have something in your pants named "funny"?

:confused:

dogfish
03-09-2010, 11:53 PM
I sure hope Green averaged more than 19 tackles/year! :shocked:
Or, I guess at the very least, he should be fresh. :elefant:

haloti ngata - 35
ty warren - 46
kendall langford - 33
shaun ellis - 53
luis castillo - 25
cullen jenkins - 32
johnny jolly - 39
justin smith - 55
darnell dockett - 51
calais campbell - 37

tackle totals for most of the league's better five-technique ends from last season-- and keep in mind that guys like ngata, smith and dockett get moved around some in their schemes. . . all of those guys played 14 or more games last year and started all of them-- most of 'em started all 16 games. . .

it's not a position that gets many glamor numbers. . . for a guy who started an average of less than six games a year, 19 tackles per isn't out of line. . . in '07 he started a career-high ten games, and also had a career-high 39 tackles. . . he's a guy that was never good enough to unseat seymour or ty warren, but there's no shame in that. . . when he's played, he's been fairly productive. . . not a guy that i'd want to look to as a long term starter, but he should be fairly effective at what we ask him to do. . .

hell, it's nice just to be bringing in guys that already know how to play the 3-4, instead of having to teach it to a lot of them for the first time. . . that alone puts us ahead of where we were last year, in addition to keeping a lot of the concepts and terminology with martindale. . .

fortifications in the trenches on both sides were the most urgent priority coming into the offseason, and if we can sign a competent veteran center i'd say we'll have done a satisfactory job so far. . . of course i'd rather we'd signed carlos dansby and antrel rolle as well, since there's no cap this year. . . :heh: but, i was pretty sure that wasn't going to happen. . .

most teams will be looking at the draft as their primary source of aditional talent this year. . . cleaning up a few things like size and scheme fit in FA doesn't exactly make me wildly enthusiastic about what we're going to do next year, but at least it's progress. . .

we'll see what happens with the rest of the restricted free agent process-- and i'd expect things to start moving pretty soon if they're going to, but no action for us would be okay with me too. . . but pending anything big going down in RFA besides a possible marshall trade, the draft is going to be the big action for us this year. . .

lots of talent evaluators are billing this as the deepest draft in quite a while-- hopefully this year we'll be more prepared and more judicious with our picks, and we can get some legit young talent to develop behind some of these older guys on defense. . .

xzn
03-10-2010, 12:16 AM
Good post dogfish. With what is available for us to go get I like what we've done so far. Like ya said, we still need that anchor in the pivot. It's weird how little we've heard since Hadnot left town. I really wish that'd get done, I love the idea of a 320 lb. road grader in the middle of our offense as much as I do a competent 348 beast in the middle of our defense!