PDA

View Full Version : FFXIII- IGN Review

Shazam!
03-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Final Fantasy XIII Review
Branded by the gods and exiled from their homes. Can they still save the world?
by Ryan Clements
IGN

March 8, 2010 - For years, the Final Fantasy series has stood as a seemingly timeless pillar of Japanese role-playing games. With fantastic characters, intricate stories and complex battle systems, Final Fantasy is one of the most recognizable names in the videogame world -- and for good reason. Surprisingly, Final Fantasy XIII abandons a number of well-loved series traditions in favor of a more straight-forward approach. While fans might be concerned by this, the two most important aspects of the series -- the battle system and the narrative -- remain just as strong as they always have.

In Final Fantasy XIII, players take control of six different characters with the sharp-eyed Lightning taking the "lead role." Although the game does tend to stress Lightning as the primary heroine, Final Fantasy XIII is reminiscent of Final Fantasy VI in that you control all the characters at different times and you jump between the groups frequently. This multi-story approach, as well as a clever use of flashbacks, makes Final Fantasy XIII's story quite enjoyable, at least in terms of its structure.

Final Fantasy XIII can tiptoe (or "stumble," depending on the scene) into the melodramatic, but fans of the series shouldn't be too surprised. What was more intriguing to me, beyond the standard growth of the characters, was the dynamic established between the two worlds of Final Fantasy XIII -- Cocoon and Pulse -- as well as the relationship between humans and their fal'Cie counterparts. Like various religions of the world, the mythology of Final Fantasy XIII incorporates god-like beings (the fal'Cie) that protect humanity. These themes are extremely important to the plot of Final Fantasy XIII and I very much enjoyed them.

The game also benefits from its cast, and all the members are voiced by some very talented people. Even the actors providing work for the side characters and villains do a tremendous job.

Of course, a role-playing game would be nothing without a solid battle system, and fortunately Final Fantasy XIII delivers. What starts out as an extremely simple, menu-driven system slowly becomes one of the most complex, challenging systems I've ever experienced in a Final Fantasy title. At the system's root is the classic ATB (Active Time Battle) principle. When standing in a neutral position, a gauge fills above your list of commands. This gauge is segmented, so as it fills, more segments are available for use. Every action a character can take requires the expenditure of a certain number of segments from the gauge. This attack queue system is much preferable to selecting one command at a time, as it gives players the ability to build combos and multitask when the going gets rough.

Although you only control one character at a time, the actions of all three of your party members are dictated by their roles. There are six roles in Final Fantasy XIII and all six characters have access to each role by the end of the game (though they are gifted in three of the six). Unlike past Final Fantasy games that use a job system, Final Fantasy XIII's roles are all invaluable and must be used effectively to survive. These roles ultimately affect how you play the game, as someone controlling a Sentinel will be constantly provoking and distracting enemies while a Medic, alternatively, will be healing. These roles keep battles fresh and fun, which is vital in a good RPG.

But before entering battle, players must set up a deck of Paradigms, which is the fancy way of referring to a grouping of roles. The Aggression Paradigm, for example, refers to a party composed of two Commandos and one Ravager. The Combat Clinic Paradigm stands for two Medics and one Sentinel.

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/107/1075772/final-fantasy-xiii-20100308083523016-000.jpg

By preparing several Paradigms outside of battle, players can switch roles on the fly during combat in order to best meet the situation on the field. This might sound like a simple gimmick, but it's absolutely not. Switching Paradigms is critical to surviving in Final Fantasy XIII and it adds an element of tension to what could have been a mundane system.

This tension is heightened by the chain gauge, which is a separate meter above every enemy's head. As you attack an enemy, this gauge rises. Max it out and your opponent will enter a staggered state, meaning it's much more susceptible to damage. This is also critical to coming out on top in Final Fantasy XIII, as some difficult enemies can only be defeated effectively when staggered.

Every battle is rated. Each battle has a target time and if you manage to best your opponents before that time, your score will improve. This score not only affects the sort of spoils you earn from battle but it also helps build your technical points, which allow your characters to perform powerful moves like summons and more. These ratings give players real motivation to perform well during battle and avoid "going through the motions," which is a common problem in RPGs.

When you consider the constant tension, fast pace and high reward of the Final Fantasy XIII battle system, it's easy to see why this game is fun to play. It's also constantly satisfying, as players can sink collectively earned experience points into the Crystarium system, which is like a very pretty version of the Sphere Grid from Final Fantasy X. Or, for those unfamiliar with the series, it's basically the way you choose your skills and level up your character. I got a huge sense of satisfaction from manually leveling up each character's roles in this manner.

Final Fantasy XIII, however, is not without its fair share of problems -- problems which keep it from being as great as its legendary predecessors. The well-known mention of "linearity" when it comes to Final Fantasy XIII might be old hat by now, but it is a notable issue. The first 25 to 30 hours of the game are so linear, they might as well be on rails. Dungeons are nothing more than a series of pathways through various environments, with occasional detours hiding a floating treasure chest. This linearity wasn't particularly bothersome for me because I was enjoying the story and battles along the way, but this will be a huge blow to Final Fantasy veterans.

It's important to note that the game does open up quite a bit in Chapter 11 (out of 13), giving players the freedom to explore several huge environments and undertake tons of side missions. For some, this will be a classic case of "too little, too late." Exacerbating this issue is the fact that players are unable to select their party leader and party members before Chapter 10.

A bigger issue for me, was the glaring lack of Final Fantasy's trademark mini-games. While VII had the Gold Saucer, VIII had Triple Triad and X had Blitzball (to name a few), Final Fantasy XIII doesn't really have much to do outside of battle-oriented side missions. It would have been nice to have something extra to enjoy in order to mix up the game's pacing.

Also troubling is the lack of a New Game + option, which is usually common in RPGs. Although you can save a cleared game file and then continue playing after defeating the final boss, players are unable to go back and re-experience the early sections of the game without starting from scratch.

Don't let these problems discourage you from playing Final Fantasy XIII. The game's battle system and the intriguing story are certainly worth enjoying and the production values that have gone into Final Fantasy XIII are simply unreal. The linearity does make the game more accessible to newcomers, but there's a massive difficulty spike near the game's conclusion that Final Fantasy beginners should be wary of. As a fan of the series, this immense challenge was enjoyable for me, but I could see it frustrating the new crowd that the beginning of the game is designed to draw in.

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/107/1075772/final-fantasy-xiii-20100308083523797-000.jpg

If you happen to own both a PS3 and a 360, make sure to snag the PS3 version. Both run well and the content is identical, but the 360 version has a lower resolution and it's also spread out across three discs. With such a beautiful game that contains some truly remarkable environments (including a crystal forest and some awe-inspiring cities), you'll definitely want the best visual fidelity possible.

Closing Comments
Final Fantasy XIII is a great JRPG and sports a fast-paced, challenging, satisfying battle system. The game also boasts an intricate story, a likeable cast of characters and the best visuals in the series yet (of course).

But hardcore Final Fantasy fans might be disappointed by the game's abandonment of franchise traditions like open worlds, town exploration and complex mini-games. The game is still worth buying, but it doesn't quite feel as complete as its well-loved predecessors.

Presentation- 9.5
Unbelievably gorgeous cutscenes, polished interfaces and a great story.

Graphics- 8.5
Character models are excellent and some of the in-game environments are breathtaking. Occasional slowdown isn't enough to detract from the visuals overall.

Sound- 9
Incredibly impressive voice acting all around. Vanille's perkiness can take some getting used to, but the entire cast is great. Music is not as memorable as past Final Fantasy titles, but it's good.

Gameplay- 8.5
Fantastic battle system that combines frantic speed with plenty of rewards. Linear structure and lack of content outside of main quest is somewhat disappointing.

Lasting Appeal- 8.5
My first play through took me about 60 hours to complete. Although it's a shame there are no fun mini-games to serve as distractions, there are still plenty of side missions to enjoy.

OVERALL- 8.9

Rated T for Teen- Mild language, suggestive themes, violence

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/107/1075775p1.html

Ravage!!!
03-09-2010, 01:51 PM
is this available for the PC?

Shazam!
03-09-2010, 02:30 PM
PC probably in 2011.

The best is already available to PC gamers.

Bioware>Square Enix

Mass Effect>Final Fantasy

For every PC-only title, there are console-only titles too that aren't on PC.

Ravage!!!
03-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Dragon Age and Mass Effect were/are awesome. But I would like to try this one, since its a well known RPGa and I've never played any in the series. I've just grown to like the PC over the consoles.

Shazam!
03-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Dragon Age and Mass Effect were/are awesome. But I would like to try this one, since its a well known RPGa and I've never played any in the series. I've just grown to like the PC over the consoles

It is missing a lot of the FF classic mystique. This is not the FF of old. Sure it looks amazing, but that isnt enough.

For a classic FF-type experience, I recommend Lost Odyssey for the 360 (on PC too I think), its a gorgeous, massive, classic turn based RPG made by the same guy who made the original FF. I turned someone here onto it and they loved it immensely.

MasterShake
03-09-2010, 04:39 PM
It is missing a lot of the FF classic mystique. This is not the FF of old. Sure it looks amazing, but that isnt enough.

For a classic FF-type experience, I recommend Lost Odyssey for the 360 (on PC too I think), its a gorgeous, massive, classic turn based RPG made by the same guy who made the original FF. I turned someone here onto it and they loved it immensely.

About 10 hours into FFXIII now and as a JRPG purist, I must say it is a worthy entry into the Final Fantasy lore.

Yes, the game is painfully linear, but I guess towards the end it opens up the world a bit and you can explore and level grind. The thing that I must remember is that many Final Fantasy games have been relatively linear. For example in FF VII you were stuck on Midgar for a good chunk of the game until the world really opens up.

I already know I'm gonna miss cruising around in an airship and looking for rare items, but you can't deny that FFXIII is a fun game. The combat is frenetic but fluid and whereas some of the random battles of previous final fantasies got old, I've loved every encounter so far.

I'll do a full review after I'm done, but though a lot of the things that made Final Fantasy are gone (non-linear exploration, etc.) the heart of the series is here. So far these are the best characters since part VII or VIII, the music is superb, and the story is really engrossing. All of the core elements of final fantasy are there, hopefully they can take this momentum and combine it with some of the classic elements and make the perfect Final Fantasy with part XV (since XIV is already announced as a MMORPG).

The last time we had something truly resembling a true Final Fantasy was part IX (complete with mages and knights and open world travel) and that game was not so great. Maybe these new attempts are working towards something that can be fun while retaining the spirit of the earlier games.

So here's my thoughts on FF XIII so far:

Pros:
-gorgeous graphics and cutscenes, can't tell when the game stops and the movies begin sometimes.

-the best combat system in Final Fantasy since the Active Time System. You literally change tactics seamlessly on the fly using paradigm shifts and a lot of tactics goes into even the smaller enemies. Bosses are a blast.

-Great story and music. Always the best part of any Final Fantasy.

-The linear exploration, while jarring at first, really keeps the story and action going at a nice pace.

-Cool weapons and good upgrades to go with them.

Cons:

-only one direction to go in this game, forward. Like I said later on you get to stretch out and grind levels and explore but the first 10 chapters are laid out before you.

-The leveling up system can be a bit tedious. A cross between the license system in 12 and the sphere deal in part 10. I miss picking a class and either allocating attributes or having them go up automatically per level. Too much customization for me.

-The learning curve is steep on some of the bosses, but that could be a good thing. Definitely not an easy game.

In a few weeks after I finish, I'll post my complete thoughts but as a long time Final Fantasy fan I must say I'm relieved after some of the things I've heard about the game.

Shazam!
03-09-2010, 06:36 PM
1- I think I'll pass on this one.

2- I thought FFIX was a great game and worthy of being mentioned with VII and VIII.

MasterShake
03-09-2010, 08:02 PM
1- I think I'll pass on this one.

2- I thought FFIX was a great game and worthy of being mentioned with VII and VIII.

I misspoke on FFIX. What I meant was that it was the closest game to capturing the old school Final Fantasy vibe, and while I loved that game it felt like a big step sideways.

Part X was fun once, but gives me a headache now. Part XII was innovative but had no lasting appeal. So far part XII seems to want to go a whole new direction while keeping only a shadow of it's past. I love it so far, but I know it's not the Final Fantasy game I wanted or expected. On it's own merits it's awesome, but I won't know until years from now how I feel about it as it relates to the series.

It's like star wars. The prequels ended 5 years ago and I'm starting to feel a nostalgia for them I never expexcted despite their flaws. Final Fantasy is the video game equivalent of those movies for me. Good or bad, they always have a place on my lifes to do list.

I understand wanting to pass now, but if you ever see FFXIII for $20 pick it up. :)

sneakers
03-10-2010, 01:15 AM
I have not get the game yet, but I am not liking this linear part of it....I loved going around in FF12 exploring to no end trying to collect rare items dropped by enemies (and combining them and making awesome weapons)!

MasterShake
03-10-2010, 09:21 AM
I have not get the game yet, but I am not liking this linear part of it....I loved going around in FF12 exploring to no end trying to collect rare items dropped by enemies (and combining them and making awesome weapons)!

Yeah, that was fun. I remember hunting down all the notorious monsters.

Anyway, last night while playing FF XIII I realized its just as linear as Mass Effect 2, its just more honest about it.

Sure you can recruit and tackle missions in any order, but the game is still propelling you forward. On my second Mass Effect 2 play, I got through the game in 11 hours because I chose to skip a lot of the side mission crap. In Final Fantasy XIII they could have made it so you could gather your party by choosing what chapter to play but the story would have suffered.

Actually, the more I play it the more I realize it is very similar to other Final Fantasies. I've already used the example of being stuck in Midgar for nearly the entire first disc on FF VII, and most of the side stuff in that game as getting a black chocobo or finding Knights of the Round at the end of the game.

Late in FF XIII you end up on the Gran Pulse or something where you can ride chocobos, fight notorious monsters, and find some of the best equipment in the game. There is also a set of 60 side missions that count towards rare weapons and achievements. I can't wait to get to that part, but in the meantime I really like the pacing and linearity (with the illusion of choice).

Oblivion was the king of open world RPG's, and Lost Odyssey was the best example of what a modern "classic" Final Fantasy would be. So far, FF XIII is a good preview of a new direction with really fun battles. I mean, you see the enemies on screen and can avoid them, but I often find myself charging right in to try out some new tactics. You could tell the team that did FF VII and X worked on this game because its nearly a hybrid of the two in terms of story and fun.

That being said, I do not recommend this game if you already feel like you won't like it going in. I went in with a pretty clean slate, and am really enjoying myself. Honestly I remember having fun when Final Fantasy VII came out, but it seemed just as strange to me then as part XIII does now. I was used to Final Fantasy II and III on the SNES, and part VII was pretty jarring the first time I played it. Now, its a classic. I'm not saying XIII is a classic, but the feelings I have towards it are similar to those I had towards VII.

Shazam!
03-11-2010, 01:15 AM
You keep comparing it to Midgar but that isnt a valid comparison IMO. I dont think Midgar was linear at all, an inexperienced player wouldve been lost in Midgar and not have a clue where to go. I think the result was to blow your mind that Midgar was just a spec on the whole world and you didnt even do anything yet.

MasterShake
03-11-2010, 10:34 AM
You keep comparing it to Midgar but that isnt a valid comparison IMO. I dont think Midgar was linear at all, an inexperienced player wouldve been lost in Midgar and not have a clue where to go. I think the result was to blow your mind that Midgar was just a spec on the whole world and you didnt even do anything yet.

I guess what I'm trying to say is its not like you could leave Midgar whenever you wanted. You had to track down the right NPC to propel the story forward, and even when you were done and in the great big open world the main storyline was very linear.

I don't want to sound like some Square fanboy. I have plenty of issues with Final Fantasy X and X-2 and I really miss the open world exploration. I'm just saying that if all they did was spruce up the graphics and make new characters every time while keeping the core things might get stale.

I can appreciate the new direction, but my hope for the next installment (not the MMORPG) as I've stated before is that they take the best elements of this (the fighting system and characters) and combine it with the best of the earlier games and give us a TRULY remarkable Final Fantasy game.

I still liken this game as what Mass Effect 2 tried to do. There is still a heavier RPG element in FF XIII, but its more streamlined and story driven. Do I miss the old stuff? Hell yeah. Do I like the new direction? So far I honestly do.

The best RPG I've played in the last 5 years is still Lost Odyssey, and thats saying something.

Shazam!
03-11-2010, 02:49 PM
The best RPG I've played in the last 5 years is still Lost Odyssey, and thats saying something.

LO is the most unappreciated RPG of the decade.