PDA

View Full Version : Share your thoughts on todays game

broncosinindy
09-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Week one down now fellas. lots of good stuff. and not as much bad stuff as we seen in preseason. this defense just might be better then expected. although it was agasint Buffalo i know ill definetly take the win.

Impressed with DJ williams and the whole dline. we didnt get a great amount of pressure. but moss had a quiet 3 or 4 tackles

Simeon Rice although only one week of practice played solid with a batted pass.

Didnt see much pressure from doom yet they didnt pass a whole lot and came up with a great INT.

Jay Culter had shaky play at times. but this kid is gonna be for real. Wowsers kid has ice in his veins and never quit. Reminds me of a fella we used to have here.

1 career comeback now.

Travis Henry had 140 yards ran hard. loved the option play. still with out that play he still averages over 5 a carry

Javon Walker was up and down had 9 catches was clutch when we needed it in the end but needs to look the ball in.was bummed with a few of his drops

Man i am just happy with jay right now. made some rookie esqe plays but definetly didnt let him down.

Kapaibro
09-09-2007, 03:36 PM
One word:

Defibrillator!

NameUsedBefore
09-09-2007, 03:40 PM
We still need to learn how to finish our drives. So much production between the 20s, but whenever we get close to the endzone the offense fizzles.

Snapping Turtle
09-09-2007, 03:43 PM
I had multiple heart attacks. I looked at my roomie and said "im gonna cry, if we win or lose"
STRESSFUL WIN!

Rick
09-09-2007, 03:44 PM
The D was solid, and the O was as well.

When Jay gets a bit more consistent(have to remember this was only his 6th start, 1st opening day start) this O will score a great deal of points.

Cutler 304 yards * 16 games = 4864 yards.

Walker 9 Catches * 16 games = 144 catches.
Marshall 5 catches * 16 games = 80 catches.
Stokely 3 catches * 16 games = 48 catches.
Graham 3 catches * 16 games = 48 catches.

Henry 139 yards * 16 games = 2,224 yards.

Now there is no way in hell that these stats will all end up being as they currently average out but it shows one thing. The explosiveness of old is back in Denver. They just need to stop some of the inconsistent things they did and settle down.

broncosinindy
09-09-2007, 03:44 PM
We still need to learn how to finish our drives. So much production between the 20s, but whenever we get close to the endzone the offense fizzles.

I defeintly aggree with you there. at the begining of the game looked like we had alot of the same issues as last year. the way cutler is playing though i am stoked that he is on our side. i was bummed with his int but well hes gonna give them.

Nomad
09-09-2007, 03:45 PM
My question is: is the BILLS better than we thought or the BRONCOS not as good as we thought! I'd say Bills did a hell of a job but BRONCOS didn't play their best. Though they have alot of work to do to get better! I'm watching SD and the Raider games ! Let's hope it was first game jitters!

broncosinindy
09-09-2007, 03:47 PM
The D was solid, and the O was as well.

When Jay gets a bit more consistent(have to remember this was only his 6th start, 1st opening day start) this O will score a great deal of points.

Cutler 304 yards * 16 games = 4864 yards.

Walker 9 Catches * 16 games = 144 catches.
Marshall 5 catches * 16 games = 80 catches.
Stokely 3 catches * 16 games = 48 catches.
Graham 3 catches * 16 games = 48 catches.

Henry 139 yards * 16 games = 2,224 yards.

Now there is no way in hell that these stats will all end up being as they currently average out but it shows one thing. The explosiveness of old is back in Denver. They just need to stop some of the inconsistent things they did and settle down.
We moved the ball at will no doubt. we really like everyone is saying need to focus on our redzone D loved the Bmarsh td. this was a good game. im glad we had a chance to break in against a team that isnt as good.

Denver needs to work on ther ekiller instinct

Rick
09-09-2007, 03:51 PM
One thing I really liked about DJ was he was at the runner often making the tackle.

While Wilson was good I just never found him to be dominating. His best year he had 103 solo tackles, generally he got in the high 70s.

You have people like Ray Lewis that had a best year of 157 solos and usually gets around 115 that is a big difference.

If DJ keeps up what he did today he will get around 112 solo tackles. I care more about those then total tackles because it means he was the first guy there driving the dude down.

I just hope he can keep it up.

ThunderGirl
09-09-2007, 03:53 PM
I like Cutler, but he is young and makes some mistakes that make me crazy.

Last year I booed Stokley. In fact, I hated him(but he was a Colt). This year is a different story. I see good things with him!

Henry was awesome! He had a good game!

The announcers made Hixon look like he hurt that guy and that made me mad. What was up with the camera shot's of him the entire time the EMT's were on the field? Hixon felt bad you could tell, but it was so not his fault!

What was up with Javon? I love the man, but he dropped a lot today.

Elam is getting older and that scares me, but when it counted the most he came through!

All and all intense game!

Den21vsBal19
09-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Offense ~ I thought the Bills started by trying to take away the run, and force Jay to beat them through the air...........other than a few bad decisions, Jay accomplished this and forced them to play honest. Henry kept plugging away until the holes started to widen. Javon & BMarsh made some big plays, but Javon in particular dropped a few. Pass protection looked a little shaky, and Nalen's shotgun snaps were consistently a little low. We've got to finish drives off though.

Defense ~ LEARN TO FREAKING TACKLE!!!!!! We did a good job of taking away the deep ball, but our tackling :behindsofa: At the moment, Ian Gold's looking like a waste of a roster spot.

(Not so) Special Teams ~ See above. I'll let Elam slide, he's earned that, but our coverage and return teams sucked as usual. :2thumbs: for getting the FG off in something like 8 seconds though

Requiem / The Dagda
09-09-2007, 04:11 PM
www.broncosdraft.wordpress.com
(www.broncosdraft.wordpress.com)
Shameless plug, but my game day rants and article after the game are up for your viewing pleasure.

shank
09-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Shameless plug, but my game day rants and article after the game are up for your viewing pleasure.

hey dream!

thanks for the link, i enjoy reading your thoughts.

:cool: <fonzie.

lex
09-09-2007, 04:21 PM
I was pleasantly surprised with the defense. Although, Ian Gold misses way too many tackles. He was really pathetic today. I also noticed that Buffalo started running on second and longs when we would sub in our pass rushers.

They try to force it to Javon entirely too much.

Elam has me kind of worried.

Cutler is still freaking out in the heat of the moment...I was hoping that was a thing of he past.

They need to spread it around to Marshall and Graham.

Lee Evans was a non factor...we did a good job on him.

Overall, Id say its a positive win. I was worried more about the defense and they actually came through today. And I dont think we had that many injuries.

DenBronx
09-09-2007, 04:23 PM
dj was really impressive today...if he keeps this up he will have a probowl year.

i hope morgan starts returning punts and kickoffs. special teams is a disaster at the moment.

henry was a beast...i see him getting at least 1600 yards. wow selvin young likes to hit...and a good heads up play by hitting the ball out of bounds. that could have lost us the game if he didnt do that.

elam is usually money but we have the offense to get touchdowns not settle for field goals.

what a crazy game....i'll take a win over an opening day loss any day of the year.

Lorcust
09-09-2007, 04:25 PM
QB:

Cutler had his up and down moments, but when it mattered most, he lead us to the win we needed. He had some really bad passes, but plenty of good decisions and a few drops. He's #1 in the NFL in passing yards week 1 right now by the way.

RB:

Travis Henry was a monster, providing some consistancy as he wore out the Defense and a few explosive plays, as well as some clutch first downs. Clutch. When we leaned on him, he came through. I hope Shanahan will do this more. #2 in the NFL in rushing yards week 1.

WR:

Walker had some killer drops, but its not how you start. Its how you finished, and his clutch catches at the end led to a Denver win. Marshall and Stokely were also solid threats from their positions... just imagine when Rod Smith gets back. :eek:

Walker is #4 in the NFL in receiving yards week 1 right now.

TE:

Graham looked decent blocking and a couple nice receptions, nothing too special but I wasn't expecting much.

OL:

Played decent, Pears needs to get more consistant though and as much as I support Myers, he's no Ben Hamilton. Lepsis is back Baby!

Defense:

DL:

Had pressure at times, and some good plays like Rice knocking down a pass, Gordon doing some plays at run stopping, Moss making his prescense known and can't forget the little engine that could: Dumervil. They opened up plenty of room for DJ as well.

LB:

D.J. was lights out. As much as I respect him.... Al who? Nate Webster played like a man on the edge... Ian Gold.... :tsk:

DB:

Lynch was good in run support and with a nice sack. Nick Ferguson was also solid. Bly had several key knockdowns... as for Bailey...

Lee Evans: 2 catches 5 yards.

As well as some key special teams tackles I believe, one that saved us agianst McGee.

K:

Elam had his bad moments, but its not how you start like I said, its how you finish. And Elam had the clutch win.

P:

Sauerbraun did a solid job, nothing much else to say.

ST:

Ghastly. Roscoe Parrish tore us up and McGee nearly took us again. Now the Bills are good at ST, I'll admit, but O'Brien really needs to get this group together. Hixon also isnt going anywhere with nobody blocking.

Other notes:

We really need to improve in the redzone, and keeping our compsure in there. Once Hamilton returns and the D continues to gel together, this team will be monsterous as the season progresses.

Cutler is getting his growing pains out of the way, but I love what I saw in him so far.

I love this team this year.:elefant:

DenBronx
09-09-2007, 04:26 PM
marshal was wide open several plays today. i think cutler gets tunnel vision with walker too much. if he would have hit marshal on one particular play it would have been 6.

stokely is pretty impressive in the slot.

Chica_Ang
09-09-2007, 04:34 PM
honestly---i saw some good things in today's game:

cutler has good instincts and just needs more experience under his belt (did you notice his pass protection in the second quarter?) very good
henry was a machine, it's not his fault his feet kept getting grabbed
marshall has great feet

special teams needs to get it together. i felt huge relief when the ball was being thrown instead of being handed-off. the bills had a wall up today.

close win...sore throat...heart failure...can't wait for the next game :first:

Slick
09-09-2007, 08:17 PM

Interesting read Dream. I'm bookmarking that. :salute:

topscribe
09-09-2007, 08:23 PM
(http://www.broncosdraft.wordpress.com)
And don't forget your submissions to Wookie's article thread. :smile:

-----

SmithOverTO
09-09-2007, 08:27 PM
My thoughts:

1) It's surreal to watch an NFL game in Toyko at mid-night. Something every NFL fan should experience :laugh:

2) Jay Cutler to Javon Walker == The beginnings of a Peyton Manning to Marvin Harrison or even Joe Montana to Jerry Rice tandem.

Yes, I realize it's one game and yes, I realize it might not ever reach the plateau that those tandems have but.... after re-watching the drive to finish the game today, the throws that Jay to Javon were throws only Jay could have made and only catches Javon could have caught.

3) Travis Henry == worth every dime. He punishes tacklers and makes yards. Not alot of running backs these days make yards.

4) Selvin Young. Fantastic awareness in knocking that loose ball away.

5) Jay Cutler problems = temporary. I was once a Jake Plummer loyalist and I can firmly state that Jay will erase alot of (bad and good) memories of 16. And fast, too.

6) Stokely, Bly, Rice, Sauerbrun, Graham all have looked to fit into the game and team well. Granted its only one game, but all made contributions and all look as if they've been with the Broncos for seasons upon season.

7) Lastly, not completely Bronco related but I think that the Texans will be a team to be reckoned with in the South. In December, we should be very wary of them.

Watchthemiddle
09-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Cutler still looked like a rookie at times, but also looked like a 10 year vet also. I want more consistency out of him

Our offense stalled too much relying on the field goals or lack there of again. To rack up as much yards as we had and to only come out of there with 15 points is a little embarassing.

Our defense showed up when it mattered - THE REGULAR SEASON -

broncosfanscott
09-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Our defense showed up when it mattered - THE REGULAR SEASON -

I am glad to see that as well as the third down conversion % go down (3-11) and time of possesson go up to help the defense stay fresh.

Once the offense starts finishing those drives with touchdowns then we will be set. That catch by Marshall was just plain sick.

SmithOverTO, I hear ya on the Texans. They aren't messing around anymore and Kubiak is definatly going to make that team successful.

BANJOPICKER1
09-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Marshall sure was fun to watch today,loved his(I just blocked you big time)dance!!LOL:D

TXBRONC
09-09-2007, 10:46 PM
My thoughts on today's game.

I liked what I saw out of Jay, yes he made some mistakes but I thought he handled himself like 10 year pro on that last drive of the game.

We ran the ball extremely well which I all of us expected.

Surprisingly I think the defense played a lot better than I expected them too. They are still a work in progress, but nevertheless they seem to show signs of gelling in my opinion. They did get pressure fairly consistently on Losman and they were able to stuff the Bills and get the ball back near the end of the game.

broncosfanscott
09-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Marshall sure was fun to watch today,loved his(I just blocked you big time)dance!!LOL:D

......and that TD catch was awesome!!!!! :salute:

I didn't watch the game because they had the Pats game down here in SD. From what I saw of the highlights, I am very pleased with what I saw. There were good and bad parts, yet all in all, a nice start. The defense impressed me with the improvement of those 3rd downs.

The offense looks like what I will expect this year except for only one TD on all those drives in their half of the field....one thig to work on.

The game is on the NFL Network Replay tomorrow at 5:30pm EST so I will get a better look at the game.

Next stop: Home opener thrashing of the Raiders.

Hawgdriver
09-10-2007, 06:01 AM
Thought #1:

We should have had a lot more to show for 470 yards of offense. We scored 15 points. The other teams with ~450 yards, Dallas, Indy, and NY Giants, all scored 35 points or more.

Thought #2:

We lead the league in fewest yards allowed. Go Bates! Go DJ! Go Champ & Dre!

Thought #3:

Special teams was horrific. Besides the game winning field goal, there is nothing to be happy about. Our net punting average was 11 yards on 6 punts. The net punting against us was 42 yards. We missed some field goals. We didn't give Hixon much of a chance to shine.

Thought #4:

Jay Cutler is something special.

Thought #5:

The defense needs to do a better job stopping the run...but I'll take 7 points allowed any day.

Final thought:

It was awful to see Everett get hurt. My prayers go out to him and his family and friends. Things like that make you appreciate how dangerous the game is, and how meaningless the game is in comparison to someone's life. I hope he has a good recovery.

omac
09-10-2007, 09:53 AM
One thing that this game never was ... boring. This was a fun filled rollercoaster ride, and I was enjoying it, whether we'd have won or lost. I enjoy it more that we won, though. :D

I only wish Everett didn't have that injury. I made sure to say a quick prayer for him.

topscribe
09-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Mashall didn't block the guy . . .

He blew him up! :dance:

-----

SBboundBRONCOS
09-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Mashall didn't block the guy . . .

He blew him up! :dance:

-----

im pissed i missed that block on sopcast <<< picture is not great

but anyways did you see selvin blow up #20 whitner on his outside run lol that i think changed a lot of momentum over to our side

topscribe
09-10-2007, 01:44 PM
im pissed i missed that block on sopcast <<< picture is not great

but anyways did you see selvin blow up #20 whitner on his outside run lol that i think changed a lot of momentum over to our side
That is exactly what I like to see in a running back, and it is so rare. Most
head out of bounds to avoid the hit. He actually turned IN to INIITIATE the
hit! :whoot:

It brings back memories of Jim Taylor of the old Green Bay Packers. They
showed a picture sequence in a magazine at the time, where he was headed
full long for the sideline. Bearing down on him were two linebackers. All the
sudden, Taylor veered BACK INTO THE FIELD and plowed head-long, at full
speed, into those linebackers. :shocked: He had a habit of doing that, actually.

We now have at least TWO who will do that in Henry and Young. :cool:

-----