03-09-2010, 02:34 AM
Paige: Broncos still have time to make splash in NFL free agency
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
POSTED: 03/08/2010 01:00:00 AM MST
UPDATED: 03/08/2010 08:41:30 AM MST

Splash!

No, more like a ripple.

The Broncos barely have disturbed the surface of the free-agent waters in the opening days.

But the second wave is coming this week.

Get wet, C-McD and The X Man.

How about wide receiver Antonio Bryant, running back Thomas Jones, quarterback Jake Delhomme, guard Keydrick Vincent, center Hank Fraley and defensive end Marques Douglas?

Splatter!

Those six should be persons of interest for coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders.

I like what the Broncos are trying to do — becoming bigger and bulk- ier on both sides of the line — but, observably, they have more needs.

It's understandable that the Broncos didn't sign the purported prize of free agency — Julius Peppers. The defensive end certainly plays at an all-pro level . . . some of the time. The rest of the time he prefers to rest. He signed a six-year contract with $42 million guaranteed — although he can't catch passes from the Bears' quarterback.

The Broncos can get better return spreading the money around.

McDaniels and Xanders have figured out what most of us knew a year ago. The Broncos had to beef up the defensive line — in free agency and the draft — in 2009.

Instead, they drafted a running back, a linebacker and a cornerback with their first three picks. The Broncos' new brain trust signed a career backup nose tackle, Ronnie Fields, and hardly scratched at defensive end — bringing in Le Kevin Smith, who won't be invited back, and Vonnie Holliday, the quote machine, but not a run-stopping machine. They didn't draft a nose tackle or a true defensive end. (Robert Ayers was switched to linebacker.)

So the Broncos are playing catch-up on both lines with the signing last week of nose tackle Justin Bannan, the ex-Buff immediately installed as the Bronc starter. They met over the weekend with Dwan Edwards, a 315-pound defensive end occasionally called "The Hulk."

They have signed sturdy (and somewhat slow) nickel back Nate Jones, which doesn't say much for Alphonso Smith, acquired in the second round last year for a first-round choice this year.

And the Broncos resigned running back J.J. Arrington, who they signed as a free agent last year — and released because he didn't recover from microfracture knee surgery. We must suppose his knee is improved, but J.J. has run the ball only 71 times in the past four seasons.

The Broncos lost out Sunday on offensive lineman Tony Pashos, who signed with Cleveland. Free-agent center Rex Hadnot, who visited and went away, seeks more cash than the Broncos are offering.

If the Broncos had to open the season today, the ball would have to be picked up at the line of scrimmage by Kyle Orton. The Broncos don't have a center.

In fact, McD and X and the Broncos don't have much of a swell — yet. And that's not swell.

By the way, they could use another wide receiver, assuming . . .

Antonio Bryant's production was down last year with an inept Bucs offense, but he had about the same yardage (1,248 yards) as the Broncos' guy in 2008. And he is a quality receiver. Put Bryant with Eddie Royal, Jabar Gaffney, Brandon Stokley, Brandon Lloyd and a draft pick, and the Broncos don't miss a beat.

Thomas Jones, a class act on the field and in the locker room, was the middle of the Jets' three-headed monster at RB last year. He was cut because of money, no other reason. Jones ran for 1,402 yards. How about a fire- breathing Chimaera here?

If Hadnot is a have-not for the Broncos, Hank Fraley is a 6-foot-3, 310-pound veteran, late of the Browns. He can start at center and has played everywhere on the line, including tight end.

Does 6-5, 330 pounds sound OK for the Broncos in the power-blocking scheme? If so, Keydrick Vincent, a former starting guard for the Panthers, is available. He played in front of two 1,000-yard runners in 2008.

And Jake "Not a Snake" Delhomme also is on the free market. Almost free. The Panthers owe the one-time Super Bowl quarterback $12.7 million, and he's looking for another chance somewhere else after an awful season. Denver could be the place — for a pittance.

The Broncos never will trust Chris Simms again, and they are thinking about drafting a quarterback for the future. Delhomme could back up Orton for the present.

On the other side, since Edwards likely won't join the Broncos, they should secure veteran defensive end Marques Douglas, who had 64 tackles and 1 1/2 sacks with the Jets last season. He is 290 pounds, strong and quick and another locker room leader.

The Solid Six are worth the Broncos' attention if they want to cause a serious splash in free agency and the NFL this week.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14631784#ixzz0hf8MgT4X

Ziggy
03-09-2010, 02:44 AM
Woody is a hack, but I'd love to see the Broncos bring in Hank Fraley and Antonio Bryant. Bryant would give us a true deep threat on the outside (insert Orton and bubble screen jabs here), and we do need a veteran center other than Dustin Frye. Thomas Jones is a very solid RB, but I think he'll go back to the Jets in the end.

dogfish
03-09-2010, 04:34 AM
solid six?

more like the acceptable two or three, and the rest he can keep. . .

especially jake ****ing delhomme!

:rofl:

seriously? i truly believe "how much worse could we do with tom brandstater, and how much would it even matter at that point?" is a pretty legitimate question. . .

antonio bryant i will take. . .

i like TJ's hardnosed running style, but another old back isn't what our running game needs-- good YOUNG linemen will help a hell of a lot more. . .

Nomad
03-09-2010, 07:45 AM
I see the Bengals taking Bryant!

CoachChaz
03-09-2010, 08:39 AM
I'd be okay with Keydrick Vincent. The rest can disappear

Northman
03-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Woody is a hack, but I'd love to see the Broncos bring in Hank Fraley and Antonio Bryant. Bryant would give us a true deep threat on the outside (insert Orton and bubble screen jabs here), and we do need a veteran center other than Dustin Frye. Thomas Jones is a very solid RB, but I think he'll go back to the Jets in the end.

What is this deep threat you speak of?....:lol:

Broncolingus
03-09-2010, 01:29 PM
I'd like to see the Bronc's at least 'look' a little more involved in FA this coming week...that is, on the aquisition side.

...of course, there's probably a reason I'm not a GM on any NFL teams, and I'm not really sure what (if anything) is out there now.

Italianmobstr7
03-09-2010, 02:23 PM
I'd be okay with Keydrick Vincent. The rest can disappear

Vincent I'd take, and Bryant IF we lose Marshall. If not, Vincent is the only one I'd take.