PDA

View Full Version : Jamal Williams in Denver - UPDATE: Denver signs Williams

Buff
03-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Per Mike Lombardi

DT Jamal Williams of formerly of San Diego is expected to be in Denver today to take a physical.

http://twitter.com/michaelombardi

broncofaninfla
03-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Interesting...........

jrelway
03-08-2010, 04:39 PM
i like it.

underrated29
03-08-2010, 04:41 PM
I like it too. Even if his knees might not be able to hold up for much longer. He is better than anything we currently have. And can allow our young guys or draftees get a look at how to play the NT.

Buff
03-08-2010, 04:41 PM
I'm pretty sure our DL coach Wayne Nunnely was Williams' coach at SD for most of his time there... So I'd imagine that's one of the reasons we're giving him a look.

GEM
03-08-2010, 04:45 PM
I dunno...he's missed a lot of time because of those knees and there is a reason SD would just let him go. If there isn't a lot of money invested, I could be ok with it.

MileHighCrew
03-08-2010, 04:50 PM
If the money is right i LOVE this.

claymore
03-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Nothing bad can come of this. But its hard to get excited about another has been. If he can cantribute, and doesnt unnecessarily tie up a roster spot then Im all for it.

Ziggy
03-08-2010, 05:07 PM
I dunno...he's missed a lot of time because of those knees and there is a reason SD would just let him go. If there isn't a lot of money invested, I could be ok with it.

San Diego has said that they are trying to bring him back at a lower price. Nunnely knows this guy as well as anyone. If he checks out well in the physical I love this move. Even if he only has a couple of years left, he's a huge upgrade to what we currently have.

Rick
03-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Let Williams, Fields rotate the NT and guys like Banon, Thomas and Baker get a shot at DE where I think they would be a better fit in 3-4, I think we would be much better off than last year.

NT
Williams 348
Fields 314
Rookie(Cody 354 second round?)

DE

Banon 310(I bet he plays DE rather than NT)
Thomas 316
Baker 329
Mcbean 297
Peterson 295

If they bulk up Ayers and move him to DE(would need 15 to 20 pound upgrade) then I think Peterson would be cut.

SOCALORADO.
03-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Let Williams, Fields rotate the NT and guys like Banon, Thomas and Baker get a shot at DE where I think they would be a better fit in 3-4, I think we would be much better off than last year.

NT
Williams 348
Fields 314
Rookie(Cody 354 second round?)

DE

Banon 310(I bet he plays DE rather than NT)
Thomas 316
Baker 329
Mcbean 297
Peterson 295

If they bulk up Ayers and move him to DE(would need 15 to 20 pound upgrade) then I think Peterson would be cut.

As long as he doesnt cost much.

Italianmobstr7
03-08-2010, 05:36 PM
I LOVE this.

SOCALORADO.
03-08-2010, 05:39 PM
I LOVE this, as long as he doesnt cost much.

:D:defense::D

HORSEPOWER 56
03-08-2010, 05:43 PM
As long as he doesnt cost much.

Who cares about cost? There's no salary cap! Sign him to a BIG ONE YEAR DEAL! ;):D

SOCALORADO.
03-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Who cares about cost? There's no salary cap! Sign him to a BIG ONE YEAR DEAL! ;):D

Well, if DEN can sign him to a solid contract that doesnt break the bank, and he gives DEN 9 games, then its a win. He still clogs the middle with the best.

Buff
03-08-2010, 06:12 PM
I just don't want this to turn into the Sam Adams or Dewayne Robertson experiments all over again... The good news is we have a deeper DL now than when we brought in the other two guys, so as long as we're not putting all of our eggs in his basket then I think it would be a good move to bolster our depth.

Slick
03-08-2010, 06:16 PM
This is the year to gamble if we're going to do it. I'd rather take a chance on Williams than have to trade picks for a Shaun Rogers experiment.

dogfish
03-08-2010, 06:42 PM
i have a feeling that he doesn't have much left in the tank, but i'd be happy to be proven wrong on that. . . certainly doesn't hurt to kick his tires-- the guy's a born run-stopper, and we obviously could use some help there. . . even if he's at 75-80%, i like him rotating with fields and bannan playing one of the ends better than 310 pound bannan at the nose. . .

dogfish
03-08-2010, 06:42 PM
This is the year to gamble if we're going to do it.

true that. . .

Slick
03-08-2010, 06:45 PM
true that. . .

We'll gamble a lot less than other teams do though, Bowlen is not rich as far as NFL owners go.

Spiritguy
03-08-2010, 06:49 PM
The other nice possibility with him is he has spent the past several years working against the OL for SD. Would know their tendencies well.

xzn
03-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Even a nutless monkey can see that he would only be a rental, but one that would immediately upgrade our NT rotation, allow Bannan to play LDE and WEAKEN A HATED RIVAL!!

Get this done... and sign Hadnot!

BroncoAV06
03-08-2010, 09:38 PM
I just don't want this to turn into the Sam Adams or Dewayne Robertson experiments all over again... The good news is we have a deeper DL now than when we brought in the other two guys, so as long as we're not putting all of our eggs in his basket then I think it would be a good move to bolster our depth.

Just like that past years with "oh we did not upgrade the line just stop gaps". Untill you draft and or land that one stud thats the way its going to be, hope that you can get a line that holds up through 16 games.

Tned
03-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Does he have anything left at 33, going on 34? Man, I remember (sort of) when 34 sounded old! :sad:

SmilinAssasSin27
03-08-2010, 10:08 PM
eh!

THE719!
03-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Oh I would love this, at least we we would have somebody on the line people would know.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Using that reasoning we should sign LT and Edgerrin James as well. How'd Jerry Rice work out for us?

turftoad
03-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Does he have anything left at 33, going on 34? Man, I remember (sort of) when 34 sounded old! :sad:

I don't want him unless he's cheap. He's over the hill and injury prone because of it.

He was great in his his prime though.

Rick
03-08-2010, 11:33 PM
We are finnaly starting to get some decent depth of players on the line.

So long as they keep a nice rotation going through the game I don't think the age will be that big a factor.

Elevation inc
03-09-2010, 07:25 AM
him fields and baker would give us a solid NT rotation....currently we dont have anything near elite...fields is solid but wears down if forced to play all teh snaps every game, we brought in thomas last year to help fields rotate, but thomas was way out of position and was pretty poor there. fields was a absolute beast the first six seven weeks....giving him some relief like jamal williams and chris baker, will make our NT position even stronger....more than some realize....

broncofaninfla
03-09-2010, 08:38 AM
I'd take him if he was cheap. We would have plenty of depth at NT and I really feel Bannon could be a soild DE for us.

CoachChaz
03-09-2010, 08:41 AM
This would be similar to Sam Adams Part 2. Difference is...Williams seems to want to be out there. His potato chip knees just wont allow him. If he was able to play 30% of the snaps, I'd be surprised. Here's hoping he fails the physical.

NorthernLights
03-09-2010, 09:16 AM
I hate this!

Williams is an absolute stud. He was put on IR last year with a bicep injury. He went into camp last year feeling the best he had in years. His knees have milage, but is still one of the best to ever play the position. He takes up two guys every time and still gets a push into the backfield.

I was really disappointed when the Bolts cut him loose. The Broncos would be a much better team with him, and that's not good for the rest of the AFC West.

rationalfan
03-09-2010, 10:57 AM
why is everyone referencing williams' knees as brittle? am i missing something here? because he missed all of last year because of a triceps injury, not a knee injury.

NorthernLights
03-09-2010, 11:16 AM
why is everyone referencing williams' knees as brittle? am i missing something here? because he missed all of last year because of a triceps injury, not a knee injury.

He has had a history of knee problems. I can't count how many times he has gone under the knife to fix them.

SOCALORADO.
03-09-2010, 11:18 AM
He has had a history of knee problems. I can't count how many times he has gone under the knife to fix them.

I am pretty sure their is some kind of bionics in that left knee.

Traveler
03-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Someone on the OM says that Williams signed a 3 year deal with us. Nothing official to confirm it yet.

Biz1
03-09-2010, 11:19 AM
I'd take him if he was cheap. We would have plenty of depth at NT and I really feel Bannon could be a soild DE for us.

He's already signed according to Wikipedia...how in the hell do they do these entries so fast?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamal_Williams

Denver Native (Carol)
03-09-2010, 11:31 AM

Possibly another Mark "Stink" Schlereth, and that worked out fine for the Broncos - "Stink" had 20 knee surgeries.

bahama0811
03-09-2010, 11:38 AM
I hope he gets signed, and if the Broncos manage to sign Jarvis Green as well that D-line will start to look a whole lot better.

rationalfan
03-09-2010, 11:49 AM
if it's true he's signed, excellent news. this is the 2010 signing i'm most excited about so far. hopefully that excitement will be sustained through november.

as for williams' knees, i did find reference to his knee injuries that were sourced outside this board.

xzn
03-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Is there any furtherr corraboration than wikipedia?

Wouldn't this be a noteworthy signing that would be on ESPN and such?

Tned
03-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Is there any furtherr corraboration than wikipedia?

Wouldn't this be a noteworthy signing that would be on ESPN and such?

Anybody can write anything on Wikipedia, which is why most schools won't accept it as a source/reference for school work. So, while it might be true, it could also be someone trying to play a joke by putting that on Wikipedia.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Someone on the OM says that Williams signed a 3 year deal with us. Nothing official to confirm it yet.

On the NFL site, they have a free agent tracker area, which you can search by name. Nothing on there yet to indicate Williams has signed with the Broncos.

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency

arapaho2
03-09-2010, 12:14 PM
On the NFL site, they have a free agent tracker area, which you can search by name. Nothing on there yet to indicate Williams has signed with the Broncos.

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency

i wouldnt even consider that site...it still lists wilforks team as TBA...yet he signed a new extension days ago

Denver Native (Carol)
03-09-2010, 12:42 PM
i wouldnt even consider that site...it still lists wilforks team as TBA...yet he signed a new extension days ago

Not sure when you checked it, but this is what they have on Wilfork - i.e. - 2009 team NE, 2010 team NE:confused:

Wilfork, Vince DT Franchise 6-2 325 6th Season NE NE

Broncolingus
03-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Sign him for the min and see how he does thru camp...doesn't ever hurt to take a look.

getlynched47
03-09-2010, 01:29 PM
If you're getting your football news from Wikipedia, there's something wrong with you.

They fixed the wikipedia page for Jamal Williams. It was just somebody playing a prank.

Biz1
03-09-2010, 01:52 PM
If you're getting your football news from Wikipedia, there's something wrong with you.

They fixed the wikipedia page for Jamal Williams. It was just somebody playing a prank.

The 3 year contract should have tipped me off on that ...my fault for posting it. I simply pasted it off a quick google search.

bahama0811
03-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Looks like they let another one get away...

The Denver Broncos may have allowed another free agent to slip through their fingers.

Former San Diego Chargers defensive lineman Jamal Williams is expected to visit the New Orleans Saints later today, reports NFL.com’s Jason La Canfora. Williams was working out with the Broncos Monday; La Canfora’s tweet would suggest that Williams has left or will leave Denver without a contract.

broncotalk.net (http://broncotalk.net/2010/03/14411/broncos-buzz/jamal-williams-expected-in-new-orleans-tuesday/)

shank
03-09-2010, 02:49 PM
we must be some low-ballin mofo's...

TXBRONC
03-09-2010, 02:52 PM

That's first thing that came to mind after reading the original post.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-09-2010, 02:55 PM
we must be some low-ballin mofo's...

OR - it was stated that he would have to pass a physical - possibly he did not pass, or the Broncos had medical concerns.

bahama0811
03-09-2010, 02:56 PM
OR - it was stated that he would have to pass a physical - possibly he did not pass, or the Broncos had medical concerns.

I'd say that's the more logical reason behind it.

shank
03-09-2010, 02:59 PM

good point. i was going off the possible trend set by hadnot, pashos, and edwards of just coasting through town without a contract. i doubt any of them failed their physicals... but jamal might have.

GEM
03-09-2010, 02:59 PM

I think you are right Carol.

He's not going to walk out of here with a big contract. If they guys who look at him day in and day out (Chargers) and know what he's been capable of in the past want him to take a pay cut, when he doesn't, they release him....there is a reason behind it. I think those knees are a lot worse off than some believe. I am perfectly ok not overpaying again for what is just a stop gap to the big picture. Let's rebuild right, not the same as we have the past 10 years.

Lonestar
03-09-2010, 03:17 PM
him fields and baker would give us a solid NT rotation....currently we dont have anything near elite...fields is solid but wears down if forced to play all teh snaps every game, we brought in thomas last year to help fields rotate, but thomas was way out of position and was pretty poor there. fields was a absolute beast the first six seven weeks....giving him some relief like jamal williams and chris baker, will make our NT position even stronger....more than some realize....

I have been a fan of Baker since i first heard of him.

I think he can grow into the position mentally and physically If he has the time to do so.

IIRC he played at a smaller school in a lesser conference with out the benefit of great coaching. Most of what he did there was just because he was gifted athlete.

He is Super Cheap as an UDFA and as long as he is maturing we can hopefully keep him on the roster to do so.

Lonestar
03-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Possibly another Mark "Stink" Schlereth, and that worked out fine for the Broncos - "Stink" had 20 knee surgeries.

Sometimes a few days before games an amazing guy. Have to wonder what his pain threshold had to be.

CoachChaz
03-09-2010, 03:22 PM
The flipside is the guy that knows Williams as much or even more than the Chargers, happens to be our DL coach. If he is going to get rave reviews from anyone...it's likely to be him.

He is definately one FA I'm okay with low-balling.

shank
03-09-2010, 03:24 PM
The flipside is the guy that knows Williams as much or even more than the Chargers, happens to be our DL coach. If he is going to get rave reviews from anyone...it's likely to be him.

He is definately one FA I'm okay with low-balling.

i'll clear what i said up, cause i agree with you. if there's one guy we've brought in who is not worth as much as they probably think they are; it's williams. i didn't want to sign him no matter what, it is just another person leaving denver without a contract...

CoachChaz
03-09-2010, 03:27 PM
i'll clear what i said up, cause i agree with you. if there's one guy we've brought in who is not worth as much as they probably think they are; it's williams. i didn't want to sign him no matter what, it is just another person leaving denver without a contract...

Well, depending on the parameters...I'm okay with that. If Hadnot, Edwards and williams want money that doesnt warrant their skill...then I'm cool with them walking.

It is interesting that the Saints are having Williams come in. They dont run a 3-4 and at the moment, they are only allowed to sign ONE FA. Curiious as to why they'd choose Williams as a possibility for that

Denver Native (Carol)
03-09-2010, 03:53 PM
This article was updated at 1:47 pm TODAY

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14641053

The Broncos are still negotiating with San Diego nose tackle Jamal Williams, who still is in Denver talking with the Broncos.

getlynched47
03-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Get it done.

To be quite honest, our problem last year was not that our starting defensive line was crap. It was that our rotational players were crap. The only legitimate rotation player we had last season was Vonnie Holliday.

With a crappy rotation led by Marcus Thomas and Le Kevin Smith, the starting defensive line had to play a lot more. And as a result, they wore down.

With signings of Justin Bannan, Jarvis Green, and hopefully Jamal Williams, we've solved our rotational problem. I expect Justin Bannan to start, hopefully replacing Kenny Peterson. I would love our starters to be Bannan, Williams, and Fields (Fields played some DE in San Fran) with our rotation being McBean, Baker, and Green/Peterson!

Better rotation = no late season collapse for our defensive line!

CoachChaz
03-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Not amazing sognings, but if we can address all 3 DL positions and a DB this week and maybe get Hadnot to come back and sign something, we'll have addressed alot of our issues. That allows McD to get creative in the draft and that opens up one hell of a potential shit storm on this site after the draft. This is going to be fun!!

dogfish
03-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Not amazing sognings, but if we can address all 3 DL positions and a DB this week and maybe get Hadnot to come back and sign something, we'll have addressed alot of our issues. That allows McD to get creative in the draft and that opens up one hell of a potential shit storm on this site after the draft. This is going to be fun!!

true. . . i think it's becoming obvious that josh likes to hedge his bets by signing a number of second and third tier vets in FA to patch up the most glaring holes-- which is probably the most common strategy and as such is great as far as it goes. . .

the only problem is that that approach adds a lot more pressure for you to find your top quality talent in the draft. . . you have to have at least a few IMPACT players to realistically be a serious contender-- you can only go so far building around blue collar rotational guys, you have to have some legit playmaking talent to get over the hump. . .

we do have a few guys still with doom, marshall, champ, dawk and clady, but champ and dawk are old and can't be counted on much longer, and nobody knows whether doom or marshall will be here going forward. . . with the number of aging players we're going to be relying on, mcD's going to need a LOT more out of his draft classes than what we got last year, whether it be some of last year's guys growing into considerably bigger roles over the next year or two, or the upcoming class being ready to contribute more in their first year or two. . .

disclaimer: i understand what the situation was last year, and i'm not bringing it up to take a hack at our draft-- just making the point that i don't see this type of team-building strategy getting us over the hump without some significant contributions from the young guys over the next few years-- especially not with a lot of the established veteran talent either gone or likely to go in the next year or two. . .

i agree that this draft should be a lot of fun. . . with tons of needs but not necessarily any glaring, immediate holes other than center, we SHOULD be in a perfect position to move around, draft for BPA and maybe hopefully snag a good value pick or two due to our flexibility. . . or take advantage of someone else's need by trading back a couple times. . .

we'll see. . . this draft could potentially make or break JMFMCD in denver IMO, so hopefully we really clean up. . .

CoachChaz
03-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Jamal Williams still in Denver
Posted Tue Mar 9th by Kyle

Although the NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora has reported that 348-lbs. behemoth/nose tackle Jamal Williams will visit the New Orleans Saints Tuesday, as of 1:15 p.m. MT the Denver Post’s Mike Klis is reporting that Williams is still in Denver, negotiating with the Broncos.

We’re guessing Josh McDaniels isn’t concerned over Williams missing a flight.

Not that anyone can blame the Broncos for not getting a deal done yet — they’ve been busy. Earlier Tuesday the team announced the signing of former New England Patriots defensive end Jarvis Green.

The Broncos may not be letting Williams slip between their fingers after all. We’ll keep you posted…

rationalfan
03-09-2010, 05:40 PM
it's amusing how people like to include chris baker in their 2010 dline rotation lineups. what has he done post-college that suggests he's better than marcus thomas or, even, a late-career sam adams?

i hope i'm missing something here, but it just feels like another player people think will be good because they like to think they know.

again, i hope you're all right. i'm just skeptical.

Tned
03-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Schefter says Williams is signed.

underrated29
03-09-2010, 05:45 PM
it's amusing how people like to include chris baker in their 2010 dline rotation lineups. what has he done post-college that suggests he's better than marcus thomas or, even, a late-career sam adams?

i hope i'm missing something here, but it just feels like another player people think will be good because they like to think they know.

again, i hope you're all right. i'm just skeptical.

Who do you work for btw? Has to be sports radio right?

Anyhow, i do not think we have another Wesly Duke situation on our hands here with Baker. Of all the really good draft guys, scouts, and people that pay a hell of a lot of attention to football. Both pro and college all seem to think that baker has the goods and maybe just maybe will release them...

I am with you- I do not know why he is getting all the much either, but you learn who the people are that are right more often that not and you start to take their word for things after they continue to produce with quality eyes of scouting.

mopatt24
03-09-2010, 05:51 PM
http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Got em

arapaho2
03-09-2010, 05:51 PM
he's a bronco for three years accourding to adam ...and he would be the one i trust to know

hope he holds out

underrated29
03-09-2010, 05:52 PM
http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Got em

Sho'nuff

rationalfan
03-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Who do you work for btw? Has to be sports radio right?

sports radio? ouch. not in a million - but definitely would for a $million.

rationalfan
03-09-2010, 05:54 PM
adams signed. nice. as i mentioned earlier (can't remember what thread) i like this signing. but, have to admit, i'm buying into the legacy of williams and hoping he still has a good year or two left.

still, isn't a downgraded williams better than anything denver's had at NT in years?

Tned
03-09-2010, 05:54 PM
Shawn Merriman just tweeted this:

"Jamall Williams just signed with Denver...Dammit"

shank
03-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Shawn Merriman just tweeted this:

"Jamall Williams just signed with Denver...Dammit"

lol, that's pretty funny.

xzn
03-09-2010, 06:02 PM
**** Yeah!

He may be a short term rental, but he buys us:

- a fighting chance to stop any run game in rotation with Fields

- a little time to develop Marcus Thomas as a potential 5 technique behind Bannan

- the chance for Justin Bannan to be a dominant DE instead of a servicable NT

- a role model and mentor for talented but extremely raw Chris Baker

I'm as happy as I was when we got Dawkins last year!

... now about Hadnot....

Poet
03-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Nothing bad can come of this. But its hard to get excited about another has been. If he can cantribute, and doesnt unnecessarily tie up a roster spot then Im all for it.

He's not a has been. He's no longer going to be one of the best at his position, but he can still play.

Tned
03-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Per Adam Schefter's tweet:

DT Jamal Williams done in Denver: 3 years, $16 million, including $7 milliion gtd, with a max value to deal over $22 million.

Lonestar
03-09-2010, 06:53 PM
SOMEONE mentioned Baker.

These are some interviews giving a better glimpse into our new NT acquisition in Undrafted Free Agency. Largely considered the most talented Free Agent available, we apparently snagged him. Baker was very impressive as a Sophomore at Penn State in 2007 and he was very effective at Hamption, though against lesser competition in the MEAC.

Read and Enjoy:

Here are three different interviews with Baker, if nothing else, it gives a better insight to the player since he is now our best hope at having an effective NT.

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:.../2/853598.html

http://draftzoo.com/2009/04/chris-baker-interview/

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Draft-B...interview.html

75 CHRIS BAKER, DE
Height/Weight: 6-2/329 | Birthdate: 10/08/1987 | Birthplace: Windsor, CT, USA | Team: Denver | College: Hampton | NFL Experience: 2

Chris Baker was a solid undrafted FA signing by Denver (he could've been a 4th rounder) and I think that he stands a good chance to both make the roster and to contribute. Baker has collegiate experience at DE and NT in the 3-4 alignment and was productive as a junior in 2008 as well. (by SMJenkins 08/15/2009 10:33 pm EST)

Chris Baker was heralded by some as the second best nose tackle in the entire 2009 draft. Yet off-field issues left him suspended and ultimately expelled from Penn State in 2007. After playing (and dominating) for Hampton University in 2008, Baker declared for the NFL draft, where some considered him a second-or-third round talent. It wasn’t to be, though; Baker fell out of the draft completely and signed a free agent contract with the Broncos shortly thereafter.

Baker’s past is complicated, and you can read more about it here. But, just as Baker has asked, we’re going to look beyond the events of two years ago and judge him on the football field. There, Baker is proving to be a powerhouse and is deservedly generating some buzz.

Denver Broncos rookie defensive lineman Chris Baker walks onto the practice field on August 3, 2009. (BroncoTalk/Kyle Montgomery)

Josh McDaniels after Sunday’s practice: “Chris has shown the ability to knock people back. That is something that you hear (Defensive Line) Coach (Wayne) Nunnely say a lot is that if we can change the line of scrimmage, then you can certainly help our run defense in some areas and push the pocket in the pass rush. Chris has done some good things in this camp. It is going to be really an interesting deal to see how a lot of these rookies play in the preseason and see how much they can do within our scheme against somebody else’s scheme that they are not used to seeing every day. Chris is one of many that we are looking forward to seeing.”

Ross Tucker on SI.com: “Broncos second-string nose guard Chris Baker, an undrafted free agent, certainly appears to look and play the part…. He has the natural power to play the nose in a 3-4 defense; he made a number of plays at the practice I attended.”

BroncoTalk: The BT Staffers are on the Chris Baker bandwagon as well. Jonathan listed him as his top “favorite lesser-known Bronco” of 2009. During my visit to Broncos training camp, I mentioned Baker in my very first practice report as one of the unknowns who made a play and was worth keeping an eye on. The preseason is the perfect opportunity to do just that.

For the time being, though, Fields is the man. The coaches know it and give him extra attention before and after every snap and drill. Fields hasn’t done anything to lose the starting job, but he really hasn’t done anything to win it, either. His career resume certainly wouldn’t imply “starting nose tackle” to any other NFL team. He hasn’t started a game since 2006 and has only registered one sack in 49 professional games.

Physicality
Both players are 6-2 and over 300 lbs., but Baker has a solid 15 lbs. on the veteran. With the nose tackle expected to eat up double teams and disrupt the line of scrimmage (especially in running plays), Baker has the edge physically.

Experience
This one’s huge, as Baker has the rookie woes to deal with. Nearly every defensive tackle in the league struggles in Year One, almost without exception and certainly more than any other position on the field. Fields is a veteran. He may not have been stellar in San Francisco, but Defensive Coordinator Mike Nolan saw enough to bring him here, and he certainly has more experience than Baker.

The experience factor gives Fields a huge edge, and he’ll be given every chance to earn and keep the starting job. But if the defense struggles with Fields up front and Baker continues to impress, don’t be surprised if the Broncos switch their gatekeeper to the promising rookie. It’s one of the most interesting and important competitions to watch this preseason.

The kid is RAW talent and IF he can get a year more under a TRUE NT like JW he could be something special. HE played at Pent State got into throttle there and move to Hampton

Baker didn't want to transfer to another big program where he'd have to sit out a season, so he went to Hampton, where he had 69 tackles, including 16 1/2 for loss and 8 1/2 sacks as a junior.

he came out as a Junior and did to really play all that much college ball.

xzn
03-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks for putting that all in one place JrWiz\!

Lonestar
03-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Thanks for putting that all in one place JrWiz\! well there is more out there on the kid but those were the hilights.

MAybe he is a bust, but he is raw and with some great coaching and seeing how it is supposed to be done from a Great NT who knows what can be after Williams hangs it up.

While fields did a good job last year, was he really a DOminate NT? Or was it just finesse (smoke and mirrors) and if not What could he have learned from him. Now he has one of the top 15 of all time to learn from.

xzn
03-09-2010, 07:10 PM
I completely agree.

Other than the whole sticking it to the chuggers angle that is my favorite part of this signing. Wayne Nunnely must have sold Josh and Xman on him being a positive influence on Baker, and Fields for that matter!

If he has anywhere near left in the tank as Dawkins had for us last year then this really becomes a great signing, not just a very good one, which is what it is now.

xzn
03-09-2010, 07:20 PM
This is a little more official, AT HE BOTTOM, it confirms 3 yr. contract with $7 mill. in guar. $$$

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=4979830

Northman
03-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Best signing this offseason so far.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-09-2010, 07:25 PM
and the peasants rejoiced...

Lonestar
03-09-2010, 07:26 PM

and the chargers weep.

xzn
03-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Ex-Charger Jamal Williams now a Bronco
March, 9, 2010 Mar 96:53PM ETEmail Print Share By Bill WilliamsonThis move will likely hurt San Diego fans more than it will help the Denver Broncos.

WilliamsJamal Williams -- one of the great all-time Chargers -- is now a Denver Bronco. He just signed a three-year deal, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

The Chargers cut Williams last week because he was due a hefty bonus.

Continuing its focus on revamping the defensive line, Denver’s acquisition of Williams is intriguing. The 6-foot-3, 348-pound Williams was one of the game’s premier nose tackles. He was a great run-stuffer and anchor to a fine defense. Denver defensive line coach Wayne Nunnely is no stranger to Williams’ greatness. He coached him in San Diego.

Williams was known as a big-time Bronco killer. He ate up Denver’s small offensive linemen. The Denver line was usually effective using its zone blocking schemes, but Williams always had success against Denver.

Still, there are plenty of risks in this deal. Williams will turn 34 next month and he missed all but one game last season with a triceps injury. He has also had knee issues.

But if Denver uses Williams in a rotation and limits him 15 to 25 snaps a game he could be effective. Denver has also added defensive linemen Justin Bannan and Jarvis Green. With all of these additions, the Broncos likely will not be looking for defensive linemen in the early stages of the draft.

The Williams deal can help if he can stay healthy. Even if Williams’ better days are behind him, the sight of him in blue and orange will likely be crushing to San Diego fans.

Ravage!!!
03-09-2010, 07:27 PM
I like that signing. I'm concerned with his health.. and ability to stay healthy... but never anythign wrong with grabbing someone that can help our DL

Spiritguy
03-09-2010, 07:30 PM
a few funny quotes from the bolts forum

Originally Posted by Blue Bolt http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2958509#post2958509)
I guess because Shannarat is no longer there, he doesn't hold a grudge against the team......... he should though. http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif
and a response

Of course he should, it's the DENVER BRONCOS, not the Mike Shanahan Broncos. JWall was a bolt for 12 years, he SHOULD despise the Donks followed by

another ex charger bout to do work on us twice a year..**** you aj

THE719!
03-09-2010, 07:32 PM
wait the broncos actually want to have a two names that people actually know on our D- Line this year? sounds crazy but I like it, good sign.

Timmy!
03-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Gotta like that McD is actually doing things to address the Dline. All 3 of these signings should help, didn't expect to land Williams. If nothing else I'm sure the guy will play like a mad man against the sparklers :D

silkamilkamonico
03-09-2010, 07:36 PM
How many dlinemen will be back with Denver next year from last year, anyone know?

HORSEPOWER 56
03-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Good to know that we're stocking up on D-line. We're going to need them this year. KC just signed Thomas Jones. TJ and Jamal Charles? Fudge....:tsk:

Could get ugly.

Ziggy
03-09-2010, 07:50 PM
I'd say center is our most pressing need now. We have solid tackles and 2 very good young prospects at guard. After the recent signings, I think the Broncos can go BPA available with the 11th pick of the draft and not reach for a player. I'll be looking for the Broncos to sign a Mawae, Hadnot, Fraley type of center here soon.

Tned
03-09-2010, 08:11 PM
I'd say center is our most pressing need now. We have solid tackles and 2 very good young prospects at guard. After the recent signings, I think the Broncos can go BPA available with the 11th pick of the draft and not reach for a player. I'll be looking for the Broncos to sign a Mawae, Hadnot, Fraley type of center here soon.

Center, followed by WR, assuming Marshall is gone as most of us believe.

spikerman
03-09-2010, 08:29 PM
I do like the signings because it shows a commitment to improving the d-line. I still hope they draft one or two, but it's a good first step. I still don't see WR as a pressing need (I know I'm in the minority), but with this (extremely) short passing game style of offense I don't know that the team needs "game breakers" on the outside.

underrated29
03-09-2010, 08:47 PM
IMO center is our biggest need still. Then its closely followed by both DE and NT....Yes, including the guys we just signed. They are good vets, but nothing amazing. We need some big time players there on the line, someone who commands double teams (besides jamal)....

Lonestar
03-09-2010, 09:29 PM
IMO center is our biggest need still. Then its closely followed by both DE and NT....Yes, including the guys we just signed. They are good vets, but nothing amazing. We need some big time players there on the line, someone who commands double teams (besides jamal)....

I'd still like to pick up an OG also and it would not surprise me to see an OT taken in the draft and use harris as a back up.

While he has been a great OT that was also in the ZBS and not sure if he is big and mean enough to do the power blocking justice.

But having an OR or TWO that is in the 320+ range will not hurt us either. Would allow us to be a bit smaller at center. not sure how goo a player the kid that put up 45 reps at the combine is but I think/know for sure he is strong enough to hand the middle.:D

Biz1
03-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Anybody can write anything on Wikipedia, which is why most schools won't accept it as a source/reference for school work. So, while it might be true, it could also be someone trying to play a joke by putting that on Wikipedia.

True, but in this case it was posted there before ESPN even got a hold of it.

Lonestar
03-09-2010, 10:01 PM

Maybe they are the new ESPN:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tned
03-09-2010, 10:02 PM

Yep, but again, that doesn't mean it was true. About 10 years ago, someone updated Mike Shanahan's page (maybe it was Mike Ditka's page, it was one of the Mikes) and posted that he was dead -- had died in an accident or something like that.

Wikipedia 'can' be a great source of information, but many times is riddled with jokes or intentionally false information. It just can't be relied upon. I could go to Plummer's page right now and edit it to say he came out of retiremnet and has been invited to Broncos training camp. Doesn't make it true, but it would be on Wikipedia.

dogfish
03-09-2010, 10:20 PM

i saw NTL rejoicing a little bit earlier, and he's definitely no peasant. . .

Wikipedia 'can' be a great source of information, but many times is riddled with jokes or intentionally false information. It just can't be relied upon. I could go to Plummer's page right now and edit it to say he came out of retiremnet and has been invited to Broncos training camp. Doesn't make it true, but it would be on Wikipedia.

i think you should do that. . . :lol:

gobroncsnv
03-09-2010, 11:23 PM
and the chargers weep.

Yeah, but they're getting pretty good at it... and pretty much used to it... (not aNOTHer playoff loss!!!!)

Biz1
03-09-2010, 11:51 PM
Yep, but again, that doesn't mean it was true. About 10 years ago, someone updated Mike Shanahan's page (maybe it was Mike Ditka's page, it was one of the Mikes) and posted that he was dead -- had died in an accident or something like that.

Yep, I have found misinformation in the past on that site as well. I never would even consider it as a source of NFL trade information. It just popped up this morning(I think on an MSN search). I figured it had to be false considering there was no other confirmation for hours.

Very strange that the article insert turned out to be true...:confused:

Tned
03-10-2010, 07:59 AM
Yep, I have found misinformation in the past on that site as well. I never would even consider it as a source of NFL trade information. It just popped up this morning(I think on an MSN search). I figured it had to be false considering there was no other confirmation for hours.

Very strange that the article insert turned out to be true...:confused:

Not strange at all. There are a lot of people that put in many hours trying to make real contributions to Wikipedia. Unfortunately, it is sometimes hard to tell what is real and what isn't, especially when it is 'breaking news' type entries.

broncofaninfla
03-10-2010, 08:34 AM
VERY happy about the Williams signing. Him and Bannon are great additions to our line and just as I suspected Bannon will be used at DE. Wasted money on Green IMO, money would have better spent on Holliday. I touched base with some NE, Balt and Charger fans last night. The Charger fans weren't happy at all, they feel the guy still has plenty in the tank and are pissed they now have to play him twice a year. Seems like we got a solid player in Bannon as well or at least that was the consensus with Baltimore fans. I pretty much received a good riddance messgae from Patriot fans and the words "nothing special" were used more than once. All in all I'm happy with the emphasis on the D line and feel barring injuries we have improved at some key postions.

CoachChaz
03-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Still hoping Holliday is signed as a 3rd down specialist

Tned
03-10-2010, 08:43 AM

Yep, he played well and I would like to have him back.

broncofaninfla
03-10-2010, 09:00 AM
I guess that my main issue with Green. Holiday IMO is a better DE, I would rather bring Holliday back with the money that was spent on Green. Hopefully we'll have both...............

SOCALORADO.
03-10-2010, 09:02 AM

So with these signings, is Ayers playing DE still in play?

CoachChaz
03-10-2010, 09:03 AM
I guess that my main issue with Green. Holiday IMO is a better DE, I would rather bring Holliday back with the money that was spent on Green. Hopefully we'll have both...............

Problem is that both are best used on the pass rush. Not sure I'd have either of them out there on 1st and 2nd down unless we were playing pass happy teams. i could see the line of Bannan and Petersen at DE and Williams at NT on running downs and Green and Holliday at DE and Bannan at NT on passing downs.

broncofaninfla
03-10-2010, 11:36 AM

I'm guessing he's just too light in the pants to play DE in this defense

Broncolingus
03-10-2010, 11:58 AM
I have no issue with Denver bringing him in and taking a look...

No surprise to anyone the only question is his knee's and if they can hold up...

Bottom line, lets get thru a season (or at least thru camp) and see how dude has done before any decisions on good/bad signing this is...

JMO...

CoachChaz
03-10-2010, 12:36 PM

I'd like to see Ayers move to DE. I think he plays better at the line and I'd love to see Denver draft Brandon Graham. Having Doom rush from the weakside and Graham on the strongside with Williams, Bannan and Ayers up front could create alot of very favorable mismatches.

Ziggy
03-10-2010, 01:23 PM

Ayers showed flashes last season, even though he was learning a new position. He's strong at the POA, and helped Doom to a few of his sacks by tying up lineman at the line of scrimmage. I think we keep him at OLB again and let him develop.

SOCALORADO.
03-10-2010, 01:28 PM
I'd like to see Ayers move to DE. I think he plays better at the line and I'd love to see Denver draft Brandon Graham. Having Doom rush from the weakside and Graham on the strongside with Williams, Bannan and Ayers up front could create alot of very favorable mismatches.

I like this. I like Graham in the 1st. The D-Line would be absolutely lethal!
I also think Ayers should be tried at DE on either side, theres plenty of room there, and if he thrived a number of good options could come from it.

broncobryce
03-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Ayers would have to gain like 20 pounds, I don't see it happening.

CoachChaz
03-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Ayers would have to gain like 20 pounds, I don't see it happening.

Not necessarily. he's 275 right now. Another 5-10 would bulk him up a bit, but I think his quickness would make up for being a hair too light.

rationalfan
03-10-2010, 02:57 PM
don't give up on ayers as a linebacker, yet. mike mayock repeatedly said he thought ayers would eventually be the best defensive player in last year's draft. and i still believe his development is comparable to the linebackers pittsburgh drafts - they don't play for a year or two, but when they take over they're very good.

shank
03-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Not necessarily. he's 275 right now. Another 5-10 would bulk him up a bit, but I think his quickness would make up for being a hair too light.

i like his versatility where he's at. hopefully wink can find ways to move him around to create mismatches and maximize his production.

underrated29
03-10-2010, 03:01 PM
don't give up on ayers as a linebacker, yet. mike mayock repeatedly said he thought ayers would eventually be the best defensive player in last year's draft. and i still believe his development is comparable to the linebackers pittsburgh drafts - they don't play for a year or two, but when they take over they're very good.

I forgot the name of the website, but there is a site that breaks down every players plays and takes into account mental breakdowns, blown assaignments etc from both sides of the ball on the play....

Ayers stats showed he was one of our best at getting to the QB. He just didnt finish it off.

He will be a major stud!

Tned
03-10-2010, 03:10 PM

Mayock said that in three years, people would look at Ayers as the best defensive player to come out of the '09 draft. Let's hope he's right.

Lonestar
03-10-2010, 03:15 PM
I forgot the name of the website, but there is a site that breaks down every players plays and takes into account mental breakdowns, blown assaignments etc from both sides of the ball on the play....

Ayers stats showed he was one of our best at getting to the QB. He just didnt finish it off.

He will be a major stud!

If you find it please let us know.:salute:

Biz1
03-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Not strange at all. There are a lot of people that put in many hours trying to make real contributions to Wikipedia. Unfortunately, it is sometimes hard to tell what is real and what isn't, especially when it is 'breaking news' type entries.

I can see why people would make those entries, it places their page at the top of search engines....which in turn wound up being posted here furthering the Wikipedia page hit.

free advertising:lol:

broncofaninfla
03-10-2010, 03:54 PM

I didn't realize he was 275, I guess DE could be feasible will a little more bulk...

xzn
03-10-2010, 05:37 PM
I'd like to see Ayers beat out Haggan for SOLB in base 34 and also be able to play with his hand down in Nickle and Dime situations instead of being on the sideline. If we play any straight 43 I think he and Elvis would be able to start at DEs.

Ideally, if we draft Mc Clain he and DJ could play nickle with a pass rushing line like Coach suggests of Ayers, Bannan, Green and Elvis as a down or stand up depending on the matchup and gameplan.

xzn
03-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Ayers has ideal bulk as a 34 OLB

He has adequate size as a 43 DE but he's undersized for a 34 DE.

If he did put on 20 lbs what would it do to his burst?

silkamilkamonico
03-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Yea I don't like Ayers at end. We're already taking a gamble with his potential by moving him to LB, which could take a couple more years to see any real payoff if it happens. Moving him to DE in a 3-4 is adding another project to what he has to learn. He needs to stay at OLB IMHO and figure out how to make an impact there.

xzn
03-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Ayers and Doom have a ton of potential as a pass rushing tandem. Also, both can be used as hand on the ground rushers in extra DB situations. Time for Ayers to start to live up to Mayock's prediction and for the FO to lock up Elvis for the long-term. DOOOOMMM....