PDA

View Full Version : Broncos to miss several key players in offseason program -- MERGED

Denver Native (Carol)
03-08-2010, 10:13 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14631792

Across the NFL, dozens of restricted free agents are expected to skip their teams' offseason conditioning programs.

The Broncos will not be immune from it. When they open their offseason conditioning program next Monday, among the missing will be Elvis Dumervil, Tony Scheffler and Brandon Marshall.

Those players belong to a four-year player group that feels trapped in a time when NFL owners have moved the eligibility for unrestricted free agency from four years of service to six years until they receive a new collective bargaining agreement.

While Dumervil was tendered with a $3.168 million salary as a restricted free agent in 2010, he could have commanded at least 10 times that in unrestricted free agency. Another team could still try to sign Dumervil, but that team would have to surrender the near prohibitive compensation of first- and third-round draft picks to the Broncos.

Dumervil, who led the NFL with 17 sacks last year, said he doesn't want to create any fuss or controversy. He just wants to stay back home in Miami and work out there.

"I'm going to work out with my dad," Dumervil said. "I've worked out with him most of my life. The last couple years, I spent more time working out in Denver than I did back here. This year, it's going to be the other way around."

The Broncos need not worry about Dumervil slacking off. His father, Frank, served 13 years in the U.S. Marines.

Scheffler, a tight end who was tendered at $1.01 million and is likely to be traded, will work out with his former high school coach in Ann Arbor, Mich. Scheffler brought along the offseason workout program he was taught last year by Nuggets strength and conditioning coach Steve Hess.

Marshall hopes by the time the Broncos begin their offseason training program he will be with the Seahawks, whom he visited over the weekend.

Another Broncos restricted free agent, guard Chris Kuper, is expected to report next Monday. Kuper doesn't figure to draw much interest from other teams because the Broncos slapped him with a first-round tender, which the NFL industry considers steep compensation for an interior lineman.

The offseason intentions of quarterback Kyle Orton are not yet known. Orton, a fifth-year restricted free agent, was given a first-round tender and $2.621 million salary.

Italianmobstr7
03-08-2010, 10:14 AM
This kind of sucks. Dumervil should be working out with the team.

Nomad
03-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Dumervil is in fine hands with his dad!!

BroncoWave
03-08-2010, 10:17 AM
This kind of sucks. Dumervil should be working out with the team.

Until he is under contract with the Broncos he can't, can he?

Broncolingus
03-08-2010, 10:22 AM
I'm not overly concerned...BM and Chef are gone.

...and I think it's apparent the Bronc's are really trying to keep Doom.

Agree I like the 'message' of attending mini-camp with your teammates, but as he comes to camp healthy and in football shape, I'm happy.

Italianmobstr7
03-08-2010, 10:22 AM

really? Do you know his dad personally? Do you know fr an absolute fact that he won't slack off when he's not under a coaches watchful eye? No you don't, so don't go making assumptions.

All he has to do is sign the 1 year tender. They can still negotiate a long term contract after he's signed it. He should be like Chris Kuper is and get into camp and work hard while the coaches are watching him and helping him get even better.

CoachChaz
03-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Agents are pushing their RFA clients to skip all OTA's, so it wont surprise me if most of them throughout the league find alternative means of workouts until camps.

dogfish
03-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Agents are pushing their RFA clients to skip all OTA's, so it wont surprise me if most of them throughout the league find alternative means of workouts until camps.

and it won't surprise ME when all the super-sensitive sandy gines around here spend the next year whining about it. . . it's just business and guys all around the league will be doing it, but our guys will be held to a higher standard. . .

GEM
03-08-2010, 10:54 AM
really? Do you know his dad personally? Do you know fr an absolute fact that he won't slack off when he's not under a coaches watchful eye? No you don't, so don't go making assumptions.

All he has to do is sign the 1 year tender. They can still negotiate a long term contract after he's signed it. He should be like Chris Kuper is and get into camp and work hard while the coaches are watching him and helping him get even better.

Doom has never given any hints as to being a slacker or lazy, I highly doubt he's going to start now. Give the guy some credit, it's his career he'd be fooling with to come in not ready.

broncophan
03-08-2010, 11:04 AM

really? Lol.........you rip Nomad for making assumptions......and then you assume Chris Kuper is "working hard" while the coaches are watching him.
Do you know Chris Kuper personally?Do you know "fr" an absolute fact that he is not slacking off while under a coach's watchful eye?..No you don't, so dont go making assumptions.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-08-2010, 11:15 AM
DAMN - why do so many threads have to turn into posters attacking each other??????????:tsk:

broncophan
03-08-2010, 11:20 AM
DAMN - why do so many threads have to turn into posters attacking each other??????????:tsk:

I am sorry Carol.......but sometimes "we" have to stick up for each other around here......:D

Nomad
03-08-2010, 11:32 AM

No i don't know his dad but going off he was a Marine tells me he'll work Dumervil just as hard as any strength and conditioning coach possibly harder!! BTW you can go piss off with your assumptions!!

CoachChaz
03-08-2010, 11:37 AM
No i don't know his dad but going off he was a Marine tells me he'll work Dumervil just as hard as any strength and conditioning coach possibly harder!! BTW you can go piss off with your assumptions!!

I can attest to that. I'm always telling my boys that the conditioning programs the schools run are "pussified". I offer a little Marine Corps assistance, but they fear it.

GEM
03-08-2010, 11:48 AM
I can attest to that. I'm always telling my boys that the conditioning programs the schools run are "pussified". I offer a little Marine Corps assistance, but they fear it.

Could you please come over to the high school my boys are going to....I can't believe their S&C. I push them to run the steep hills up to the field multiple times a night. They laughed at me and said let me see you do it....so I did. :lol: *********!

broncophan
03-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Could you please come over to the high school my boys are going to....I can't believe their S&C. I push them to run the steep hills up to the field multiple times a night. They laughed at me and said let me see you do it....so I did. :lol: *********!

Maybe there was a reason they wanted to watch you run.....:D:eek:

UnderArmour
03-08-2010, 11:51 AM

Because you have several factions of Broncos fans nowadays. The ones pissed off about Shanahan being fired, the ones pissed off about McDaniels being hired, the ones pissed off about people being pissed off about Shanahan being fired and McDaniels taking over, the ones pissed off at McDaniels over Marshall, the ones pissed off at Marshall, the ones angry that we might lose Marshall, the ones who think we have hope to keep Marshall and we still might, and of course the ones angry about the Jay Cutler trade including trading for Alphonso Smith. The ones mad about Hillis, the ones telling people to shut up about Hillis. The ones mad about Tony Scheffler, the ones telling people to shut up about Tony Scheffler. Oh, and the ones who are made we went 8-8 after starting 6-0... Pretty sure I accounted for every Broncos fan.

Also, we need to sign Dumervil to a long term deal to get him back into offseason workouts. He certainly earned one after last year. Depending on what happens with the CBA, we might not even be able to tag anyone next year which could make the likes of Vincent Jackson, Miles Austin, our own Brandon Marshall(while he's here) and Elvis Dumervil, and every RFA out there playing on a tender an UFA.

CoachChaz
03-08-2010, 12:00 PM

I always had kids run hills where we practiced. They all remember it to this day. Alot of the problem with the schools is the strict guidelines they are under...especially in Texas. When HS kids start dying from heat, etc., it's under a microscope. not to mention the way parents are today. "My kid shouldnt have to run that hill because he has a gland problem". Boohoo

SOCALORADO.
03-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Because you have several factions of Broncos fans nowadays. The ones pissed off about Shanahan being fired, the ones pissed off about McDaniels being hired, the ones pissed off about people being pissed off about Shanahan being fired and McDaniels taking over, the ones pissed off at McDaniels over Marshall, the ones pissed off at Marshall, the ones angry that we might lose Marshall, the ones who think we have hope to keep Marshall and we still might, and of course the ones angry about the Jay Cutler trade including trading for Alphonso Smith. The ones mad about Hillis, the ones telling people to shut up about Hillis. The ones mad about Tony Scheffler, the ones telling people to shut up about Tony Scheffler. Oh, and the ones who are made we went 8-8 after starting 6-0... Pretty sure I accounted for every Broncos fan.

Also, we need to sign Dumervil to a long term deal to get him back into offseason workouts. He certainly earned one after last year. Depending on what happens with the CBA, we might not even be able to tag anyone next year which could make the likes of Vincent Jackson, Miles Austin, our own Brandon Marshall(while he's here) and Elvis Dumervil, and every RFA out there playing on a tender an UFA.

That right there explains why the OM is basically crappola now.
This site to a large extent has managed to avoid the massive meltdown, although there are flare ups here and there.

GEM
03-08-2010, 12:05 PM
I always had kids run hills where we practiced. They all remember it to this day. Alot of the problem with the schools is the strict guidelines they are under...especially in Texas. When HS kids start dying from heat, etc., it's under a microscope. not to mention the way parents are today. "My kid shouldnt have to run that hill because he has a gland problem". Boohoo

My 9 year old daughter gets out there and does the pushups, situps, etc with them and if one complains or shuts down she razz's the hell out of them. :laugh:

The laziness of this next generation is outrageous. They all act like a bunch of primadonna privileged asses. It makes it tough on the guys who really do want to work because they are slowed down by the whiners.

pnbronco
03-08-2010, 12:11 PM

I'm agree Nom....I mean if I had to make a guess if was probably his Dad that got him on the path to being dedicated, unselfish and doing the best job he could to begin with.

Dog....you are so right. It's a business and that's what we will probably be seeing a lot of in the next year. It could get really ugly.

Oh Gem, that image of your 9 yr old daughter will make me smile all day....:D

CoachChaz
03-08-2010, 12:14 PM
My 9 year old daughter gets out there and does the pushups, situps, etc with them and if one complains or shuts down she razz's the hell out of them. :laugh:

The laziness of this next generation is outrageous. They all act like a bunch of primadonna privileged asses. It makes it tough on the guys who really do want to work because they are slowed down by the whiners.

I've been fighting that battle for years. problem is...too many parent s have "child fetishes" nowadays. It's just not a fight other parents and coaches are ever going to win. You teach your kids that if you work the hardest and perform the best...you'll get the playing time. Then some kid out there for no reason other than Daddy wants to live vicariously through him, get half the play time because "everyone get a chance".

No my kid is screwed because when he gets to real life, he figures "why try hard if someone else is going to get my piece of the pie" and the other kid is screwed because "I dont have to try and I'll still get my opportunities".

Society in general is screwing kids up and I blame on the pussified mommys and daddys

GEM
03-08-2010, 12:36 PM
I've been fighting that battle for years. problem is...too many parent s have "child fetishes" nowadays. It's just not a fight other parents and coaches are ever going to win. You teach your kids that if you work the hardest and perform the best...you'll get the playing time. Then some kid out there for no reason other than Daddy wants to live vicariously through him, get half the play time because "everyone get a chance".

No my kid is screwed because when he gets to real life, he figures "why try hard if someone else is going to get my piece of the pie" and the other kid is screwed because "I dont have to try and I'll still get my opportunities".

Society in general is screwing kids up and I blame on the pussified mommys and daddys

We had a kid on the team a year ago who played receiver...he couldn't catch anything that came his way. His mom (drugged out fruit loop) was always pulling up to practice in her trans am and giving the coaches holy hell because they were running them too hard. Her son eventually got benched because his mom held him out of certain parts of practice and come game time, he was either tired or dropping balls. The mom took it to the league master. I had become friends with the league master who sent me an email asking if the coach was really too hard on the kids. This mom put it to the league master that the coach was abusive, both verbally and pushed these kids too hard.

I immediately replied in the coach's defense. These boys got to experience winning state 6 times in 8 years. This coach had everything to do with that. It really pissed me off because when a league master gets that kind of complaint, if he can't verify the abuse not to be true, he has to call the authorities in. This woman could have ruined this man's career because of her babying her kid bullshit. There is a huge HUGE difference between being hard on a group of kids for an end result and being abusive. She forgot to mention that every night they ended practice with a game of coaches vs. players, that these kids had dinner together once a week and a lot of activities that would show that while hard on the kids, this coach loved every single one of them.

Some parents just suck.

CoachChaz
03-08-2010, 12:40 PM
We had a kid on the team a year ago who played receiver...he couldn't catch anything that came his way. His mom (drugged out fruit loop) was always pulling up to practice in her trans am and giving the coaches holy hell because they were running them too hard. Her son eventually got benched because his mom held him out of certain parts of practice and come game time, he was either tired or dropping balls. The mom took it to the league master. I had become friends with the league master who sent me an email asking if the coach was really too hard on the kids. This mom put it to the league master that the coach was abusive, both verbally and pushed these kids too hard.

I immediately replied in the coach's defense. These boys got to experience winning state 6 times in 8 years. This coach had everything to do with that. It really pissed me off because when a league master gets that kind of complaint, if he can't verify the abuse not to be true, he has to call the authorities in. This woman could have ruined this man's career because of her babying her kid bullshit. There is a huge HUGE difference between being hard on a group of kids for an end result and being abusive. She forgot to mention that every night they ended practice with a game of coaches vs. players, that these kids had dinner together once a week and a lot of activities that would show that while hard on the kids, this coach loved every single one of them.

Some parents just suck.

You and me just need to make a few babies and get them out there in society. They'd be tough as nails and be just psychotic and twisted enough to probably make it somewhere.

GEM
03-08-2010, 01:45 PM
You and me just need to make a few babies and get them out there in society. They'd be tough as nails and be just psychotic and twisted enough to probably make it somewhere.

Damn skippy!! :D

Lonestar
03-08-2010, 09:22 PM

He is under contract with the team. As RFA he will get a certain salary for this coming year and maybe even next year, if they do not have a CBA by then.

Tned
03-08-2010, 09:27 PM
He is under contract with the team. As RFA he will get a certain salary for this coming year and maybe even next year, if they do not have a CBA by then.

Actually, while I think in 'practical' terms you can consider him under contract, in 'technical' terms I don't think he is under contract until he signs/accepts the tender offer the Broncos made him. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe it's the case.

Lonestar
03-09-2010, 02:52 AM
Actually, while I think in 'practical' terms you can consider him under contract, in 'technical' terms I don't think he is under contract until he signs/accepts the tender offer the Broncos made him. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe it's the case.

If his our property until he signs a tender sheet with someone and then we have the right of matching the contract.

Kinda sounds like he is "under contract" to me.

A screwy mess if you ask me, he is ours till further notice.

Tned
03-09-2010, 09:49 AM
If his our property until he signs a tender sheet with someone and then we have the right of matching the contract.

Kinda sounds like he is "under contract" to me.

A screwy mess if you ask me, he is ours till further notice.

That's why I said that in 'practical' terms, he is under contract.

Think of it like a draft pick. We pick someone in April, but there is a pretty good chance that he won't sign until right before training camp. So, all summer, he isn't under contract, yet his 'rights' belong to the Denver Broncos.

Meaning, if he is going to play in the NFL, he can only play for the Denver Broncos, but there is no actual contract between the team and player.

I think these RFA's are basically the same. The Broncos own their rights, but there is no contract between them and the club. Meaning, there may be no guaranteed money if they go to a practice and get hurt (like with rookies that attend OTAs -- even though clubs typically compensate a rookie that gets hurt, even though he isn't under contract).

Anyway, it's my understanding that there is no contract between the club and player until they sign/accept the tender offer.

rationalfan
03-10-2010, 11:12 AM
From PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/10/dumervil-scheffler-will-stay-away-from-offseason-programs/

On a personal note: this really bothers me when players complain about their RFA status. Again, the players' union is as much at fault in this chess match as are the owners. If the players don't like what's going on, they need to complain to their player union reps too.

Broncolingus
03-10-2010, 12:09 PM
On a personal note: this really bothers me when players complain about their RFA status. Again, the players' union is as much at fault in this chess match as are the owners. If the players don't like what's going on, they need to complain to their player union reps too.

I have no problem with that statement and agree 100%...it's not a one-sided issue as some would make believe.

...as far as the thread, I don't give a shit what Cheff does, but...

...while I appreciate why Doom isn't attending and can't fault him, I do get the feeling Denver's really trying to work with him and get something done long term that's good for both sides that'll keep him in Denver, so...

-JMO-

broncobryce
03-10-2010, 12:27 PM
They BETTER be trying to get something done to keep him long term.

weazel
03-10-2010, 12:28 PM
too bad about Dumervil...

as for Scheffler, who cares. Who wants a guy who quit on his team anyway. He wanted the season over with early, maybe if were lucky his career will follow suit.

Buff
03-10-2010, 12:30 PM
As a fan, I'd like to see them show up as a good faith gesture. As a businessman, I completely understand what they're doing and would advise them to do the same if I were their agent.

Nomad
03-10-2010, 12:32 PM
As a RFA, do you have a contract with a team still? Anyway, I read somewhere that they aren't getting paid to participate in offseason workouts by contract and if they do work out they do get paid extra. Nothing in the past has given me any indication Dum slacks of on his offseason workouts and I'm sure his dad knows how to PT him to get him into shape better than most BRONCOS have seen! Scheff on the other hand ?? But if these guys are still under contract and require them to be at the workouts then they should be there!!

silkamilkamonico
03-10-2010, 01:08 PM
as for Scheffler, who cares. Who wants a guy who quit on his team anyway. He wanted the season over with early, maybe if were lucky his career will follow suit.

Couldn't agree more.......hopefully the organization does the right thing and gets rid of the guy any way shape or form.

Ziggy
03-10-2010, 01:16 PM
I like the fact that Marshall and Scheff are staying out. It ensures that they won't get injured, thus making it even more impossible to trade them. It also helps the guys who have contracts and actually want to play in Denver this season start building some chemistry with the new guys. I hope the FO is working to re-sign Doom at a fair price.

Lonestar
03-10-2010, 02:00 PM
As a RFA, do you have a contract with a team still? Anyway, I read somewhere that they aren't getting paid to participate in offseason workouts by contract and if they do work out they do get paid extra. Nothing in the past has given me any indication Dum slacks of on his offseason workouts and I'm sure his dad knows how to PT him to get him into shape better than most BRONCOS have seen! Scheff on the other hand ?? But if these guys are still under contract and require them to be at the workouts then they should be there!!

Well there seems to be two schools of thought onion they are officially under contract or not.

I say if they are property of the Broncos as a RFA they should abide by what the team does and be a part of it until such time as they are traded, sign a tender sheet or a contract. Then they should parcipate with their new club.

Others do not seem to believe in loyalty to ones team of record.

Personally I think they run as much risk, if not more working out on their own than in supervised programs at Dove Valley.

NOW I could reasonably see where they may not to do any contact BUT IIRC OTAs are non contact and Meetings with coaches and coordinators.