PDA

View Full Version : Nick Ferguson is now a Texan.

BroncoBJ
03-27-2008, 02:04 AM
Nick Ferguson was at a point in life where he needed his old friends.

Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak were there for him. A starting strong safety for most of the last five seasons with the Broncos, Ferguson signed a one-year contract Wednesday with the Houston Texans, whose administrative hierarchy is stacked with former Broncos Smith and Kubiak.

"It was a great five years with the Broncos," Ferguson said. "Apparently, I did enough in those five years to impress Coach Kubiak and Rick Smith. I had a great visit. They need some safety help. They want to get aggressive and I look forward to the opportunity."

Ferguson's departure leaves the Broncos with only five starting players — John Lynch, Tom Nalen, Champ Bailey, D.J. Williams and Domonique Foxworth — from their 2005 AFC title game.

Ferguson, 33, missed the final six games of the 2006 season with a knee injury, but returned to the starting lineup for seven of the first eight games of 2007. He was replaced early in that eighth game at Detroit by Hamza Abdullah, who started the rest of the season.

A walk-on at Georgia Tech and an undrafted rookie in 1996, Ferguson was brought to Denver in 2002 at the recommendation of Smith, who was then the Broncos' director of pro personnel. Now the Texans' general manager, Smith again added Ferguson to a roster that is coached by Kubiak, a former Broncos offensive coordinator.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8707309

Didn't see it yet. :elefant:
But hes a pretty classy guy. Plus the 1 game I took my mom to, he took a picture with her and my mom was pretty happy about that. I wish him the best. :salute:

Damn Kubes keeps stealin all of our players.

Stargazer
03-27-2008, 02:36 AM
Glad he's gone.

Hoshdude7
03-27-2008, 07:12 AM
Not surprising at all.
Bu Bye now!

honz
03-27-2008, 09:57 AM
No surprise here...we have plenty of other safties, even if they are all old fogies.
Arrivaderci!:wave:

SR
03-27-2008, 10:33 AM
The Texans just keep picking up our garbage...Salaam, Dayne, Ferguson, among others.

NameUsedBefore
03-27-2008, 10:35 AM
I thought Ferguson was pretty good the first few years but those injuries definitely knocked him down a level.

BTW:

Ferguson's departure leaves the Broncos with only five starting players — John Lynch, Tom Nalen, Champ Bailey, D.J. Williams and Domonique Foxworth — from their 2005 AFC title game.

How are we still a competitive team?

ChampWJ
03-27-2008, 10:50 AM
One can only hope that his professionalism and leadership qualities wore off on some of our younger players. Ferguson is a class act, and I wish him the best in Houston. :salute:

BOSSHOGG30
03-27-2008, 10:59 AM
It will be nice in a couple of years when the Texans are actually good and Denver can take players from Houston intead of Houston always taking ex-Broncos.

jrelway
03-27-2008, 11:08 AM
It will be nice in a couple of years when the Texans are actually good and Denver can take players from Houston intead of Houston always taking ex-Broncos.

ferguson was decent, but never good. the afc championship game in 05 proved that to me. man just cant cover worth a dam.

Dreadnought
03-27-2008, 01:48 PM
One can only hope that his professionalism and leadership qualities wore off on some of our younger players. Ferguson is a class act, and I wish him the best in Houston. :salute:

I really liked the guy, but man, was he past his Sell By date. This is not a severe blow to us at all.

Rex
03-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Good.

turftoad
03-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Nick Ferguson was at a point in life where he needed his old friends.

Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak were there for him. A starting strong safety for most of the last five seasons with the Broncos, Ferguson signed a one-year contract Wednesday with the Houston Texans, whose administrative hierarchy is stacked with former Broncos Smith and Kubiak.

"It was a great five years with the Broncos," Ferguson said. "Apparently, I did enough in those five years to impress Coach Kubiak and Rick Smith. I had a great visit. They need some safety help. They want to get aggressive and I look forward to the opportunity."

Ferguson, 33, missed the final six games of the 2006 season with a knee injury, but returned to the starting lineup for seven of the first eight games of 2007. He was replaced early in that eighth game at Detroit by Hamza Abdullah, who started the rest of the season.

A walk-on at Georgia Tech and an undrafted rookie in 1996, Ferguson was brought to Denver in 2002 at the recommendation of Smith, who was then the Broncos' director of pro personnel. Now the Texans' general manager, Smith again added Ferguson to a roster that is coached by Kubiak, a former Broncos offensive coordinator.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8707309

Didn't see it yet. :elefant:
But hes a pretty classy guy. Plus the 1 game I took my mom to, he took a picture with her and my mom was pretty happy about that. I wish him the best. :salute:

Damn Kubes keeps stealin all of our players.

He wasn't our anymore. He was FREE.................to do whatever he wanted. And, he wasn't starting for us toward the end of the season either.

dogfish
03-27-2008, 03:54 PM
How are we still a competitive team?

we're not. . . .

Nature Boy
03-27-2008, 03:56 PM
The Texans just keep picking up our garbage...Salaam, Dayne, Ferguson, among others.

Yep, and they kicked our asses last season, remember?

honz
03-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Yep, and they kicked our asses last season, remember?
C'mon...It wasn't that bad. I only puked twice during that game, plus it was on the NFL Network so hardly anyone saw it.

Retired_Member_001
03-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Kubiak really is taking after Shanahan.

Taking a garbage teams garbage players.

Watchthemiddle
03-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Say what you want about Ferguson and the Texans, but don't be upset when they make the playoffs before we do.

They are one team that is flying under the radar and is going in the right direction.

We on the other hand, seem to be going in the opposite direction.

The Veteran leadership is going away fast on a team that desperatly needs leadership. Time for these young guys to step up and take over that roll.

I wish Ferguson all the best in TX.

Retired_Member_001
03-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Say what you want about Ferguson and the Texans, but don't be upset when they make the playoffs before we do.

They are one team that is flying under the radar and is going in the right direction.

We on the other hand, seem to be going in the opposite direction.

The Veteran leadership is going away fast on a team that desperatly needs leadership. Time for these young guys to step up and take over that roll.

I wish Ferguson all the best in TX.

They will definitely make the playoffs before we do in my opinion especially since we are AT LEAST two years off of the playoffs at this point in time. A guy like Ferguson will provide the Texans some leadership and experience. I wish him every bit of sucess there. The only thing I would say is he is quite old now and I question how much he will be able to play.

weazel
03-28-2008, 12:02 AM
is there any players that once played for the Broncos that hasn't signed with the Texans? Does Kubiak even realize there are other teams in the league from which he can look to?

shank
03-28-2008, 12:31 AM
i liked ferguson a lot. i like the texans a lot. i hope he sees the field and has success.

broncosfanscott
03-28-2008, 02:01 AM
Well I wish Fuguson all the best as a Texan.

Kubiak is taking some of our players like Shanahan took players from the Browns, however I think Kubiak will somehow do better. He is a smart coach.

Nature Boy
03-28-2008, 02:07 AM
C'mon...It wasn't that bad. I only puked twice during that game, plus it was on the NFL Network so hardly anyone saw it.

I don't know what was worst, losing to the Texans or the Lions and oh... the Chargers, again. All 3 games of which were decisively a beat down receive by the Broncos.

pnbronco
03-28-2008, 03:07 AM

Ferguson was a total class act. No matter how tough things got he would always be good to the fans. He also did a lot of community work. I wish him only the best.

dogfish
03-28-2008, 03:09 AM
Ferguson was a total class act. No matter how tough things got he would always be good to the fans. He also did a lot of community work. I wish him only the best.

he had a cool nickname, too. . . .

broncosfanscott
03-28-2008, 08:16 PM
I don't know what was worst, losing to the Texans or the Lions and oh... the Chargers, again. All 3 games of which were decisively a beat down receive by the Broncos.

All of those were bad......It always sucks when the Broncos lose.

Kubiak is a very smart coach and I know he is going to make that team successfull. As far as Detroit, Cutler was out for a majority of the game. I think he came out in the 2nd qtr. Chargers, I always hate losing to divisional teams.