PDA

View Full Version : Does the Boldin Trade Hurt Marshall's value?

ydave77
03-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Boldin was traded to the Ravens for just a 3rd and 4th, with the Ravens sending back a 5th.
Boldin does have more of an injury history, although Mars isn't quite mint either.
But do you think that Seattle looked at the compensation that Boldin garnered, and maybe lowered their value for Mars?
I always thought #6 would be a lot for them to pay, but Schefter and other seemed to believe it was possible. Now it seems like everyone thinks Seattle will definitely negotiate down if possible. Even though that seemed logival from the beginning, I can't help but wonder if maybe they revised their value of Marshall after the Boldin deal.

Northman
03-07-2010, 11:12 AM
I dont think so. Had it been Fitzgerald than i would say yes but Boldin isnt as nearly as good as one might believe. You do have to take the injury factor into it and even then he wasnt nearly the threat that Fitz was. Most commentators truly believe that Marshall is a much better receiver than Boldin. The only way it really hurts is that it takes a valid wr off the market thus making the pickins much more slim.

atwater27
03-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Boldin is 29 and has only played in all 16 games twice in his career.
Marshall is only 25.

ydave77
03-07-2010, 11:26 AM
I agree Marshall>Boldin. I am just wondering by how much. Mars obviously has more risk in terms of suspension, and of the field behavior.

The draft is a funny thing. I truly don't think the player you get at #6 most years will be as productive as Marshall, yet I still feel the #6 pick is too high to pay for him.

Northman
03-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Could be and maybe thats what Seattle thinks as well. The thing is, no team really wants to give up a first round for anyone no matter who the player is. Its a total mindgame as too who calls the bluff first and so on. Seattle will most likely try to persuade Denver to do a trade of some kind and still allow themselves to hold onto the #6 pick. Its just common sense as most clubs dont just cut loose of 1st rounders because of the talent level there. I think Brandon is worth the #6 (off field problems aside) but it also has to be the right situation and Seattle actually needs more help on offense than just wr so im sure they are going to try and wiggle their way out of giving up that high pick. Time will tell i guess.

tsiguy96
03-07-2010, 11:40 AM
what the hell is Mars?

is it that hard to type the additional 4 letters of the mans name?

Slick
03-07-2010, 11:48 AM
I think it's safe to say Marshall has been more productive than Boldin, the problem is, the league knows that we are desperate to dump him.

DenBronx
03-07-2010, 11:50 AM
look what the cowboys gave for roy williams. when a team thinks they have an elite wr or in this case not only elite but top 5 wr then teams will break the bank. like someone already said, marshall is only 25. he is a record breaking machine and would put a shot of nitro in any offense he went to.

so yeah 6 or 14 isnt too high for a guy like that and with the history marshall has with bates and ties to the qb coach i would say it's a no brainer for seattle. looks like they will dump branch and that would leave them with housh and the beast.

5 years 63 mill...i just feel it.

DenBronx
03-07-2010, 11:58 AM
I think it's safe to say Marshall has been more productive than Boldin, the problem is, the league knows that we are desperate to dump him.

slick i hear ya but all teams know when players are on the block. i hate to refer back to roy williams but everyone knew he was available yet someone broke the piggy bank. no way we settle for a 2nd rounder when teams from 20-32 can easily snag him away. take the colts for example at 31. if they wanted a wayne/harrison type dou again then they could take the for sure proven pro bowler like marshall while easily edging out seattle. might not happen but anything is possible.

i think all teams are looking at marshall. especially those teams late in the 1st.

SoCalImport
03-07-2010, 12:06 PM
as someone else mentioned in another thread. IF we're willing to take the 14th pick for BM then we should also be willing to entertain the idea of Seattle's 2nd and 3rd round picks.
They're both very early. Mind you if I were the Seahawks GM I'd probably rather let the second 1st rounder go that to gut my day one draft like that.

Lonestar
03-07-2010, 12:12 PM
look what the cowboys gave for roy williams. when a team thinks they have an elite wr or in this case not only elite but top 5 wr then teams will break the bank. like someone already said, marshall is only 25. he is a record breaking machine and would put a shot of nitro in any offense he went to.

so yeah 6 or 14 isnt too high for a guy like that and with the history marshall has with bates and ties to the qb coach i would say it's a no brainer for seattle. looks like they will dump branch and that would leave them with housh and the beast.

I'd take their (our)#14 and their #3 which should be in the 68 0r so range in the draft in a heart beat or for that matter their 2, 3 and 4 instead. and throw in our 5th for good measure. Maybe our 4th. Do we have a 5th?

Ravage!!!
03-07-2010, 12:12 PM
The Colts have enough WR options without having to give up any for Marshall. They have Wayne, Gargon, Collie, and the first round pick in 2007 Anthony Gonzalez. They won't spend for a WR.

Although I understand your point, if there were other teams interested, why aren't they showing interest? They waiting? There is a way that we take a 2nd for him, especially if no one else is in the running. I can see a division rival of the seahawks stepping up, and showing interest... purely to force the Seattle to put a 1st round tender on him. But right now....tthere is nothing there.

DenBronx
03-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Most of the NFL network said "Bargain" when Denver tendered Marshall with a for sale sign of 1st rounder only. Guys like Vincent Jackson, who is no Marshall were tagged with 1st and 3rd. So to get a much better WR for only a 1st and not take a chance on a 1st round bust or PAY 1st round money then it makes sense for teams needing a play maker.

I say stay the course and if we don't get what we need I'd be stoked if we match the offer to keep him. Marshall is only 25 and it looks like he has made a turn around with the off field problems. Either way, we need to do what's best for the team and that's maximizing Marshalls trade value. If someone wants to low ball us then they can walk.

Slick
03-07-2010, 04:11 PM
slick i hear ya but all teams know when players are on the block. i hate to refer back to roy williams but everyone knew he was available yet someone broke the piggy bank. no way we settle for a 2nd rounder when teams from 20-32 can easily snag him away. take the colts for example at 31. if they wanted a wayne/harrison type dou again then they could take the for sure proven pro bowler like marshall while easily edging out seattle. might not happen but anything is possible.

i think all teams are looking at marshall. especially those teams late in the 1st.

I'd disagree with the colts part, but I see your point.

...and teams would be dumb not too, especially those with lower first round picks. I'm a bit bitter about this situation because I fail to see how this helps us, or how the trade last year helped us. I don't want to drag up old news and I know neither one of those guys wants/wanted to stay in Denver, but there's a reason for that, and the man in charge better straighten this shit out.

What's next? Shopping Clady or Doom next year for a first and a third?

SR
03-07-2010, 04:54 PM

We aren't desperate to dump him at all...

SR
03-07-2010, 04:55 PM
what the hell is Mars?

Who the hell are you to criticize people's spelling?! :laugh:

tsiguy96
03-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Who the hell are you to criticize people's spelling?! :laugh:

im not criticizing spelling at all, i understand typos happen and its a message board. im criticizing a ridiculous nickname that doesnt even make sense that was shortened for no real reason.

SR
03-07-2010, 04:57 PM
That's like on car forums when people call distributors "dizzy". Makes me ******* irate.

ydave77
03-07-2010, 08:40 PM
im not criticizing spelling at all, i understand typos happen and its a message board. im criticizing a ridiculous nickname that doesnt even make sense that was shortened for no real reason.

Is your comment really necessary? Or helpful? Or on topic? Or are you just that bored?
Either way I call him Mars, if that nickname was too difficult for you to figure out, I am surprised you were able to even log onto a message board.

I think the 14th, might be as good value as we can get. Giving up draft picks is such an inexact science, its crazy.
On the one hand Randy Moss was traded for a 4th rder. Then a never great player like Roy Williams gets traded for a 1st and 3rd. Deion Branch was traded for a 1st. Who knows what we'll get. If a team is desperate enough you never know what you'll get.

JDL
03-07-2010, 11:39 PM

HA HA HA HA

Sorry... Cowboys are the ONLY team to ever do that... (Galloway/Williams) ... I think they've learned their lesson and SO has the rest of the league.

Marshall is way less of a person and teammate than Boldin. Better player.. but it is closer than some of you seem to realize... Boldin was doing it long before Fitz even arrived...so please. Marshall has missed games too, was pretty ineffective the beginning of last season for his lack of effort that led to a suspension, the league suspended him before that and he got lucky to have it reduced. He's 1 slip up from probably getting anything from 8games to a full season suspension. Let's be honest about the guy's character... it sucks... teams KNOW it... there are NOT a lot of teams that want those guys... and we may get a 1st rd pick only if a team with a strong vet presence and the money to take the risk or a team with a gm/coach so desperate to win they take on the risk. Even those teams are not really lining up. We'll know more over the course of the next 2 weeks, but I wouldn't expect any avalanche of interest... too many damn warts.

I hope Marshall gets moved even though I think he is a hell of a player... his actions last year are unforgivable... but it is still a business and I don't think dumping him solves anything. SO, maybe Marshall has to stay yet another year and take a somewhat reasonable contract if he really wants his money... he's definitely earned some sort of raise even though he is a total @ss and having him under a good contract could only help his future value. Williams was traded midseason to a contender and WR is one of those positions that can be done with... particularly heading into a strike ... lot's of teams will be up against it to win this year because there may not be another season til 2012.

Ravage!!!
03-07-2010, 11:45 PM
Unforgivable? Damn.. I'm glad you guys aren't my friends. If kicking footballs is considered to be something 'unforgivable'... I'm not sure I would want to try and constantly cater to the high maintanence.

broncophan
03-08-2010, 01:43 AM
what the hell is Mars?

I know what you mean tsig..........