PDA

View Full Version : It's time for Brandon Marshall to go

Lonestar
03-07-2010, 04:26 AM
Paige: Paige: It's time for Brandon Marshall to go
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
POSTED: 03/07/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

"I'll never be your beast of burden. Never, never, never, never, never, never, never be."

— The Rolling Stones

Brandon Marshall was The Beast. And he was The Burden. Ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever was.

Now, we will find out how badly (or goodly) Seattle wants to embrace Dr. Jekyll-Mr. Hyde.

Please, pretty please, Seahawks, take Marshall, don't leave him.

There hasn't been such a furious, frenzied argument over whether a Broncos player should be kept on or sent off since way back . . . a year ago.

Let's set aside the troubles with Brandon for the moment and ponder the positives.

Marshall was one of two major players in the most successful fourth-round draft trifecta in Broncos history. With their three picks in 2006, the Broncos chose Marshall 4a, Elvis Dumervil 4b and wide receiver Domenik Hixon (who moved on to the Giants) 4c. That trio certainly beat out 2003's Quentin Griffin, Nick Eason and Bryant McNeal and 1968's Gordon Lambert, Drake Garrett and Gus Hollomon.

Marshall belongs in the sentence with all-time fourth- round picks — Tom Jackson, Rick Upchurch, Lyle Alzado, Billy Bryan, Ben Hamilton (who could be in Seattle too) and Dumervil.

Marshall had three consecutive 100-reception, 1,000- yard receiving seasons — a team record. Rod Smith was the Broncos' most accomplished wide receiver (two Super Bowl titles and 11,389 career yards) and should be a Hall of Famer, and Steve Watson, Lionel Taylor, Haven Moses and Ed McCaffrey were great (beloved) players.

Marshall is the most gifted of the bunch.

Is he currently one of the top five receivers in the NFL, as he and many others in Denver believe? In 2009 — despite missing the final game — he finished third in the league in catches, tied for fifth in touchdowns, was second in yards after receptions and had no fumbles. He set a league record with 21 catches (200 yards) against the Colts.

However, he was 14th overall in yards (1,120) while being the fifth-most-targeted receiver in the NFL (154), and 11th in yards per game, and was not in the top 15 in first downs or the top 50 in yards per catch.

The overall numbers — and his selection to the Pro Bowl, and that he will turn only 26 this month — would suggest Marshall ranks in the Nos. 5-10 grouping among wide receivers.

Marshall's statistics are comparable in almost every category to those of Roddy White, who last season signed a six-year, $50 million contract extension with the Falcons. The deal included $18.6 million in guarantees — $6 million bonus and $12.6 million of salary for two seasons.

Before last season, according to what two sources told The Post's Mike Klis the past week, the Broncos offered Marshall a multiyear contract at $9.5 million per season. Marshall turned down the offer because he sought additional upfront money.

White's contract was the third-richest among receivers. Larry Fitzgerald averages $10 million, and Marshall's salary would have been in the neighborhood.

Brandon Marshall, the player, has been a beast.

Brandon Marshall, the person, has been a burden — and that can't be set aside.

His transgressions in society since he was in college have been well-documented — and Marshall's obtuse actions again were focused on last week when he testified in the Darrent Williams murder trial.

After being arrested in another domestic dispute a year ago this month, Marshall was in danger of a second commissioner-ordered suspension. But he was given, as always before, a break.

What did he do? Marshall refused to report for a mandatory minicamp, then acted like a clown in training camp and rejected a serious long- term contract proposal, trying his hardest to be traded or cut. At the end of an exceptional season, when the Broncos needed him most, he was nowhere to be found. Josh McDaniels deactivated him for the last humiliating loss that eliminated the Broncos from making the playoffs.

This is the guy you want to cheer, your kids to love, to represent your community?

Marshall is only a bad day on the field or a bad night on the town away from causing more disruption or disorder. Based on the risk-reward, why should the Broncos guarantee him a fortune?

In Marshall's four seasons, the Broncos have a 32-32 record and NO PLAYOFFS. Guess what: They can do that without him. There is at least one other player on the roster — Eddie Royal — who can catch 100 balls for 1,000 yards, and he's a great athlete and a wonderful guy. And there are free agents and college players who can replace Marshall — cheaper, possibly as effectively and with less of a mess.

And the Broncos may get the No. 6 pick in the draft.

The Beast is not worth The Burden.

Woody Paige: 303-954-1095 or wpaige@denverpost.com

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14527100#ixzz0hTtn6SMh

Italianmobstr7
03-07-2010, 10:43 AM
He is worth the burden. Without him this year we're not even an 8-8 team. Maybe would have won 5 or 6. He won the Dallas game, and he had huge plays against the Giants. Also against the Patriots. He almost single-handedlt beat the Colts. Marshall is worth the burden. We should give him a contract like Roddy Whites. Too bad it seems he's as good as gone now.

claymore
03-07-2010, 10:48 AM
He is worth the burden. Without him thi year we're not even an 8-8 team. Maybe would have won 5 or 6. He won the Dallas game, and he had huge play against the Giants. Also against the Patriots. He almost single-handedlt beat the Colts. Marshall is worth the burden. We should give him a contract like Roddy Whites. Too bad it seems he's as good as gone now.

I will get flamed for this... But I dont think we have the leadership in the locker room, or the front office to handle him.

Northman
03-07-2010, 11:01 AM
He is worth the burden. Without him thi year we're not even an 8-8 team. Maybe would have won 5 or 6. He won the Dallas game, and he had huge play against the Giants. Also against the Patriots. He almost single-handedlt beat the Colts. Marshall is worth the burden. We should give him a contract like Roddy Whites. Too bad it seems he's as good as gone now.

Man, i just know your going to have a meltdown when he's gone. :lol:

But no, you dont pay him like Roddy White because Roddy White doesnt have the baggage and puts up just as great numbers. Although i appreciate Brandon's talent he has been the one to do himself the most disservice when it comes to staying in Denver and getting his payday from them. Its seriously unfortuante you cant see beyond your love for the guy.

Northman
03-07-2010, 11:02 AM
I will get flamed for this... But I dont think we have the leadership in the locker room, or the front office to handle him.

When it comes to guys like TO and Brandon there isnt anyone who can handle them. And thus, they will continue to be journeymen with nothing to show for it.

atwater27
03-07-2010, 11:10 AM
I've said it many times before. Since when is a guy who drops sooooo many balls an elite wide receiver? Yes, he is a good, strong athlete. Yes, he runs good routes. No, he does not posess the hands of an elite receiver, he possesses the hands of Braylon Edwards. And he really isn't that fast. That being said, without the off filed stuff, I would say pay the man. But with the off field stuff and the fact that he is a sneeze away from half a year suspension, HE SIMPLY ISN'T WORTH IT!

Lonestar
03-07-2010, 11:13 AM

I'm not convinced anyone does.

If this maroon can get into this much trouble @ $200k a year just think about what it is going to be like at $9,000,000.oo+ each year.

LET me ADD if it is guaranteed like he wants, AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Let the buyer beware.

A head case is a head case, is a head case.

Italianmobstr7
03-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Man, i just know your going to have a meltdown when he's gone. :lol:

But no, you dont pay him like Roddy White because Roddy White doesnt have the baggage and puts up just as great numbers. Although i appreciate Brandon's talent he has been the one to do himself the most disservice when it comes to staying in Denver and getting his payday from them. Its seriously unfortuante you cant see beyond your love for the guy.

No meltdown here. I've already accepted that fact that he'll be leaving. It sucks, but that's the NFL. I'm a Broncos fan first, but I'll continue to keep my eyes on BM after he's gone to another team. Marshall did get into trouble and that's his own fault, but I'll take a few off the field issues for a guy this talented. I don't think most people understand what kind of talent BM posseses. We've just seen glimpses so far. No wr runs after catch the way BM does. Fans that are wanting him gone will wish he'd never left after they see how much our big, explosive plays drop. We didn't have a ton last year but the ones we did have were courtesy of BM.

Northman
03-07-2010, 11:23 AM
No meltdown here. I've already accepted that fact that he'll be leaving. It sucks, but that's the NFL. I'm a Broncos fan first, but I'll continue to keep my eyes on BM after he's gone to another team. Marshall did get into trouble and that's his own fault, but I'll take a few off the field issues for a guy this talented. I don't think most people understand what kind of talent BM posseses. We've just seen glimpses so far. No wr runs after catch the way BM does. Fans that are wanting him gone will wish he'd never left after they see how much our big, explosive plays drop. We didn't have a ton last year but the ones we did have were courtesy of BM.

I dont know about that. How long is Denver supposed to wait for this guy to grow up? I love his playmaking ability but they guy lies through his teeth every other week about learning from one experience or another and then resorts back to what got him in hot water to begin with. At some point any organization has to make a decision to cut their losses and determine if said player is worth the headache. It seems just like Shanny that Brandon ran out of time to right his own ship. And frankly, if your a big fan of his than a change of scenery is probably what he needs to fully become the player that we all think he can be. Its unfortuante that he couldnt fix it here but again there's only one guy to blame for that and he has too look in the mirror.

Lonestar
03-07-2010, 11:32 AM

I beg to differ

AFC Leaders
Yards After Catch (Receivers)
Rank Name Team Games YAC
1 Wes Welker NE 16 758
2 M Jones-Drew JAC 16 582
3 Kevin Faulk NE 15 500
4 Andre Johnson HOU 16 493
5 L Tomlinson SD 16 484
6 Steve Slaton HOU 16 454
7 Brandon M DEN 15 439
8 Owen Daniels HOU 16 430
9 Hines Ward PIT 16 427
10 Dwayne Bowe KC 16 396
11 Marshawn Lynch BUF 15 393
12 Bo Scaife TEN 16 378
13 Dallas Clark IND 15 377
14 T.J. Houshmand CIN 15 376
15 Darren Sproles SD 16 360
16 Eddie Royal DEN 15 359
17 Randy Moss NE 16 358
18 Leon Washi NYJ 16 355
19 Jerricho Cotchery NYJ 16 349
20 Reggie Wayne IND 16 336

NFC Leaders
Yards After Catch (Receivers)
Rank Name Team Games YAC
1 Anquan Boldin ARI 12 595
2 Calvin Johnson DET 16 511
3 Chris Cooley WAS 16 475
4 Larry Fitzgerald ARI 16 461
5 Matt Forte CHI 16 441
6 Steve Smith CAR 14 439

http://sports.iwon.com/nfl/stats/league/yardsaftercatchreceivers.html

Will I regret his departure maybe but then I will not ever have to worry about him knuckling up his girlfriend, fiance or wife, again either.

Or going to a night club and getting shot at.

We will never have to be concerned about him getting suspend on game days.(can't catch a ball from the stands or home can you.)

atwater27
03-07-2010, 11:32 AM

He runs well after the catch. Wht in the heck does the guy average 12 yards a catch then? Dude is strong, but he is slow. I understand seeing that kind of strength in a wideout is cool and refreshing to watch and everything, but it really doesn't translate to much. Seriously, the guy caught 100 passes 3 times in his career. He averaged 7.5 TDs those 3 years. How is that explosive? Just last year, Roddy White, Randy Moss, Miles Austin and Vernon Davis all had more receiving TD's than Brandon on 85, 83, 81 and 78 receptions. I would consider that explosive.
What I am saying is that as exciting as it is to watch Brandon run over a few guys or toss them around like a rag doll once in awhile, he simply isn't as explosive or the playmaker that people think he is.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Fans that are wanting him gone will wish he'd never left after they see how much our big, explosive plays drop.

I HIGHLY doubt that. But I'm sure everyone appreciates you giving them no credit whatsoever. Those who want him gone can actually see past his on the field play and get the bigger picture. We know what he can do. We also know he's an ******* who is likely gonna be suspended a couple more times, if history is any indication. We also know that teams have won SBs without him. It'll be OK.

Biz1
03-07-2010, 11:37 AM

Didn't he start up a Summer camp for kids last year?...it's a start.

I never felt it was a good thing to give away a proven product for the equivalent of playing the lottery at a 50/50 chance of getting the proven product back.

Slick
03-07-2010, 11:38 AM
We aren't getting their 6th, and how exactly does this make us a better team Woody? Our draft history sucks ass.

Lonestar
03-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Royal had 80 less yards on 64 less catches

Lets be honest here who has better YAC.

Lonestar
03-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Didn't he start up a Summer camp for kids last year?...it's a start.

I never felt it was a good thing to give away a proven product for the equivalent of playing the lottery at a 50/50 chance of getting the proven product back.

Overall I have to agree with giving up a KNOWN entity , but we ALL know that BM is going to get suspended AGAIN in increasingly loner time frames.

Hell, he has seen the commish so many times he has a permanent NFL pass to the league office an anywhere any time type.:laugh:

If he is a moron making 2.3 million add in the guaranteed and 10 million and year and see just how bad he is.

HE is a known quantity in DEN maybe a change of scenery will help BUT I doubt it.

atwater27
03-07-2010, 11:48 AM

If that isn't a giant red siren alarm for Josh to throw to Eddie more, I don't know what is.

Lonestar
03-07-2010, 11:52 AM
If that isn't a giant red siren alarm for Josh to throw to Eddie more, I don't know what is.

I think that BM was easy for Josh and KO to see and at the end of the year we were scrambling to keep our heads above water.

Remember that the OLINE was not giving an inordinate amount of protection time either.

I believe the guy when he said after looking at the year he will get both Eddie and Hillis more touches.

Nomad
03-07-2010, 11:56 AM

HE is a known quantity in DEN maybe a change of scenery will help BUT I doubt it.

Dreary Seattle is where I'd want to go if I had mood swings. Awesome place in the summer but I hope he likes cloudy and rain!!

spikerman
03-07-2010, 12:13 PM
I've said it many times before. Since when is a guy who drops sooooo many balls an elite wide receiver? Yes, he is a good, strong athlete. Yes, he runs good routes. No, he does not posess the hands of an elite receiver, he possesses the hands of Braylon Edwards. And he really isn't that fast. That being said, without the off filed stuff, I would say pay the man. But with the off field stuff and the fact that he is a sneeze away from half a year suspension, HE SIMPLY ISN'T WORTH IT!

I agree that his drops should keep him from being considered elite, but Terrell Owens may have the worst hands ever for a professional receiver and he was considered elite. With Owens there's only a 50-50 chance he'll catch a ball that hits him in the hands. Marshall isn't quite that bad, but like you said - I'm not sure he's "elite".

Ravage!!!
03-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Marshall doesn't drop any more passes than any of the top WRs do, to the number of passes thrown at them. Just look at the %. Marshall is elite. Marshall doesn't drop NEARLY as much as some of you believe he does. Did you see the HUGE HUGE pass that Fitz dropped in a prime moment in the playoffs?

Marshall is elite. Do you guys not recall the acrobatic catches he makes over defenders? The way he makes defenders miss? He's one of the very BEST in the NFL...a league full of the best in the world.

Personally... I don't understand the belief that we are better off with picks over a proven player. Since when are draft picks considered to be a 'given?'

oh well. I've pretty much just accepted that he's gone, and have accepted another offseason of losing premiere talent.

spikerman
03-07-2010, 12:35 PM
He is EXCEPTIONAL once he gets the ball in his hands and he does make some spectacular catches. I assume it's a lack of focus, but he does sometimes struggle to make the "routine" catch. I think he had a better year last year, but if I remember correctly he was right there with Braylon Edwards two years ago in the number of drops.

I think he's a terrific receiver, even if he's a little bit of a headcase, but I'm not sure I would put him at the Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, or Calvin Johnson level.

Northman
03-07-2010, 12:38 PM
He is EXCEPTIONAL once he gets the ball in his hands and he does make some spectacular catches. I assume it's a lack of focus, but he does sometimes struggle to make the "routine" catch. I think he had a better year last year, but if I remember correctly he was right there with Braylon Edwards two years ago in the number of drops.

I think he's a terrific receiver, even if he's a little bit of a headcase, but I'm not sure I would put him at the Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, or Calvin Johnson level.

Ironically, it sounds a lot like DaddyTO.

Italianmobstr7
03-07-2010, 12:48 PM
I HIGHLY doubt that. But I'm sure everyone appreciates you giving them no credit whatsoever. Those who want him gone can actually see past his on the field play and get the bigger picture. We know what he can do. We also know he's an ******* who is likely gonna be suspended a couple more times, if history is any indication. We also know that teams have won SBs without him. It'll be OK.

I'm not taking credit from anyone on the team... The only big TD we had other than Marshalls TD's was a big run by Correll Buckhalter against the Browns in week 3. People are going to miss being able to just throw it up to a HUGE receiver and have him nab the ball. I have all the faith in the world in Eddie Royal to make big plays as well. I hope he gets a ton more chances this year (and I think he will) but we won't have the type of a WR that can take over a game like BM. Again, go watch the games against Dallas, New England, NY Giants, and Colts. I don't care what his production was over the past 3 years. Last year the guy was a beast. I don't care that it shows his ypc is 12 yards, or that people have more YAC. I'm talking about having a guy on the team who DOMINATES on offense. Right now, he's the only one we have. That's a reason I don't want him to leave.

He may get in trouble again, but he may not. He did a pretty good job this year after TC until the last week when he showed up 20 minutes late for a treatment session... He knows he's on thin ice, so I doubt he'll be putting himself in situations to get suspended from now on. It's too bad our best offensive player (besides Clady) won't be here any longer, but I'm sure we'll be fine. I trust in Josh and I think Eddie Royal is going to have a huge season this year.

Lonestar
03-07-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm not taking credit from anyone on the team... The only big TD we had other than Marshalls TD's was a big run by Correll Buckhalter against the Browns in week 3. People are going to miss being able to just throw it up to a HUGE receiver and have him nab the ball. I have all the faith in the world in Eddie Royal to make big plays as well. I hope he gets a ton more chances this year (and I think he will) but we won't have the type of a WR that can take over a game like BM. Again, go watch the games against Dallas, New England, NY Giants, and Colts. I don't care what his production was over the past 3 years. Last year the guy was a beast. I don't care that it shows his ypc is 12 yards, or that people have more YAC. I'm talking about having a guy on the team who DOMINATES on offense. Right now, he's the only one we have. That's a reason I don't want him to leave.

He may get in trouble again, but he may not. He did a pretty good job this year after TC until the last week when he showed up 20 minutes late for a treatment session... He knows he's on thin ice, so I doubt he'll be putting himself in situations to get suspended from now on. It's too bad our best offensive player (besides Clady) won't be here any longer, but I'm sure we'll be fine. I trust in Josh and I think Eddie Royal is going to have a huge season this year.

Someone whispered in his ear CONTRACT year. he played nice nice till he had his 100 catches for the year. Then he did a BM in the last week.

Give him that guaranteed money or a lot of it up front and his inhibitions disappear. IMHO

Way to much risk for a TEAM when 20-30 Million are riding on it.

turftoad
03-07-2010, 01:33 PM

Those are crap stats. First off, they threw BM short passes more than not expecting him to break some tackles and get the yards after the catch. Sometimes he made the most of it. Most of the time the defenses knew exactly what we were trying to do with him.
Second, Orton can't throw the ball over 20 yards so there weren't many deeps routes going on.
I haven't looked, but what were his yards per catch before McD's offensive scheme was implemented?

It's not all Marshalls fault that his yards per catch sucked.

turftoad
03-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Overall I have to agree with giving up a KNOWN entity , but we ALL know that BM is going to get suspended AGAIN in increasingly loner time frames.

Hell, he has seen the commish so many times he has a permanent NFL pass to the league office an anywhere any time type.:laugh:

If he is a moron making 2.3 million add in the guaranteed and 10 million and year and see just how bad he is.

Bowlen, himself, believes that BM is maturing. Lets hope he's right, no matter where he will be playing.

Ravage!!!
03-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Someone whispered in his ear CONTRACT year. he played nice nice till he had his 100 catches for the year. Then he did a BM in the last week.

Give him that guaranteed money or a lot of it up front and his inhibitions disappear. IMHO

Way to much risk for a TEAM when 20-30 Million are riding on it.

I guess that explains the two years prior

I rmember Micheal Irvin saying the EXACT same thing about Brees when he had his big year in San Diego, and then the following year. Saying he was only playing well because it was a "contract year." yeah.... ok :coffee:

turftoad
03-07-2010, 03:32 PM
I guess that explains the two years prior

I rmember Micheal Irvin saying the EXACT same thing about Brees when he had his big year in San Diego, and then the following year. Saying he was only playing well because it was a "contract year." yeah.... ok :coffee:

Exactly!!

If someone can promise me that the #6 pick overall is going to be a future 2 time Pro Bowler in his frst 4 years then I'll agree with letting him go.

Elevation inc
03-08-2010, 03:08 AM
i dont get it we offered him a contract for 9.5 million a year and he turned it down becasue he wanted more upfront money...the guy is 1 incident away from a 8 game suspension.....he is huge talent but what good is that when he is watching at home....

some of you just have to prepare for life after marshall and stop being big babies....

we dont need a message sent to our young players that its okay to act out becasue you still get paid...get a grip people....

tsiguy96
03-08-2010, 07:00 AM
brandon lloyd played in 2 games this year, and in one f those got more yards than eddie in any of the previous 14. eddie slumped this year. NFL qb's dont refuse to throw to the open receiver, thats not how football works. hopefully eddie comes back full steam next year.

CoachChaz
03-08-2010, 08:44 AM
Interesting reading all the negatives people say about Marshall along with the opposite spectrum positives. I think the answer lies in the middle though.

IMO, his stats are inflated. 3 seasons ago, he was pretty much the only target that a young strong armed QB had. They developed a rapport and it worked. Marshall has the ability to out-muscle DB's and "post up" on them. So, he's open for the 7-12 yard out's and hitches. 2 years ago, the offense completely relied on the pass to do ANYTHING. Once again, marshall was looked for in the "low post" for the easy layup...which he usually delivered. This past season was a transition. A new QB to a new system and Marshall was the safety net. It was pretty obvious that Orton was more comfortable looking for Marshall and probably for the same reasons Cutler was.

Bottom line...Marshall is a very large target. He can run a 10 yard out, shield off a DB and make the catch. He is the consumate "possession receiver". Yes, he'll break one here and there for a TD...but history dictates, it's not usually going to happen in the red zone...if it happens at all. (327 receptions, 25 TD's?). I really think Marshall's three 100 reception seasons are the direct result of a combination of QB comfort level and lack of other options. Put a guy like Marques Colston in Marshall's exact same situation the past 3 years and his numbers likely look the same. Write it down if you want, but if Marshall goes to Seattle and plays with TJ...he will not have another season with 90+ receptions as long as Hasselbeck and TJ are on the roster.

So, I'll agree he has value as a solid possession receiver that can get you the 8 yard catch on 3rd an 7...and can even catch 21 balls in a game if needed (and the defense lets him have his way while stopping every other aspect of the offense), but is he an elite receiver? Are his skills (not his numbers) in the same class as the top 10-15 receivers in the league? probably not. But if someone is willing to compensate us as though he's a top 5 player...I'm all for it.

LordTrychon
03-08-2010, 09:25 AM

Um... Where are you getting this stat?

Royal had 350 or so yards this year...

LAST year he had nearly 1000 yards... but he also had nearly 100 receptions.

Broncolingus
03-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Agree with Woody's article...time to go, BM.

JMO...

Elevation inc
03-08-2010, 01:45 PM
i like marshall but the reality is if we pay him...what stops other players from thinking they cant act up and still get paid...we are suppsoedly transfering to a tough, high character football team....no????

Ravage!!!
03-08-2010, 02:02 PM
they will get paid... on other teams. I would prefer if the coach simply earns respect, rather than demanding it. This "changing to a high-character" team sounds great on paper. People want to believe thats what they have in NE. But NE has players asking for more money...and.. the coaches simply trading away top names away without them knowing (to the Raiders of all teams). They have NTs going public with how disrespectful they think it would be to get the franchise tag. They have coaches that got caught cheating.

Every team has their drama. Pittsburgh who is considered to be a top franchise in the NFL... has a 2-time Super Bowl winning QB in trouble again.

Elevation inc
03-08-2010, 03:26 PM
they will get paid... on other teams. I would prefer if the coach simply earns respect, rather than demanding it. This "changing to a high-character" team sounds great on paper. People want to believe thats what they have in NE. But NE has players asking for more money...and.. the coaches simply trading away top names away without them knowing (to the Raiders of all teams). They have NTs going public with how disrespectful they think it would be to get the franchise tag. They have coaches that got caught cheating.

Every team has their drama. Pittsburgh who is considered to be a top franchise in the NFL... has a 2-time Super Bowl winning QB in trouble again.

you know there comes a time where players are just selfish tools ya know....and its not always the coach...in this case some instances were MCD but marshall started this train long before many even knew who josh mcdaniels was....

the fact is your right they will get paid elsewhere...but we shouldnt give them a free pass to act out if they perform on the field just becasue they could get the money elsewhere

Lonestar
03-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Um... Where are you getting this stat?

Royal had 350 or so yards this year...

LAST year he had nearly 1000 yards... but he also had nearly 100 receptions.

YAC is what I was quoting he had 80 less yards on 60 some odd less passes.
Sorry if I did not make it clear as we were discussing Yards after contact. At the time.

T.K.O.
03-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Dukeshire says:
March 8, 2010 at 8:41 am
Yes Eric, Scout.com's mock is great. It consolidates and homogenizes many other mocks into one grand display of guesswork and suppositional nonsense.

Moving on; it's hard to imagine that the Seahawks were so undecided about Marshall and whether to give the 6 for him (especially with Bates and Fischs' personal history with him) that they had to meet him face to face to decide. More likely, this was about selling the 'Hawks to him and frame a contract, then see if a trade can be struck with Denver. I believe they had to know they weren't prepared to give the 6 for him before they brought him to town. I think it's pretty clear, Carroll and Schneider are not willing to leverage the draft for a complimentary player, regardless how great the production. They seem prepared to lose him if necessary, in order to work a deal that is deemed fair, to them. I have a lot more confidence in them today than I did Friday morning.

Flag commentSeahawkFan12 says:
March 8, 2010 at 8:43 am
Pass on Marshall. Let's stop thinking like sheep and think critically. Is he a bright talent? Hell yes. Could he make a big impact here? Yes. Is he worth the #6 OVERALL pick? Not even close.

The hype around this transaction comes from a classic "fear of loss" attitude.

Use both 1st round picks to bolster the O-line. If Claussen is available, take him. Draft an RB. ANY of these are better LONG TERM solutions for this team. We are not that far out of contention, especially with AZ on the decline.

Pass on Marshall. Let him go to the Bengals, where the local law enforcement is already prepared for players like him.

Flag commentDukeshire says:
March 8, 2010 at 8:44 am
Scout.com's mock is great. It consolidates and homogenizes many other mocks into one grand display of guesswork and suppositional nonsense.

Moving on; it's hard to imagine that the Seahawks were so undecided about Marshall and whether to give the 6 for him (especially with Bates and Fischs' personal history with him) that they had to meet him face to face to decide. More likely, this was about selling the 'Hawks to him and frame a contract, then see if a trade can be struck with Denver. I believe they had to know they weren't prepared to give the 6 for him before they brought him to town. I think it's pretty clear, Carroll and Schneider are not willing to leverage the draft for a complimentary player, regardless how great the production. They seem prepared to lose him if necessary, in order to work a deal that is deemed fair, to them. I have a lot more confidence in them today than I did Friday morning.

Flag comment

Read more: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2010/03/08/morning-links-are-hawks-willing-to-pony-up-for-marshall/#ixzz0hcktvN1A

Lonestar
03-08-2010, 05:11 PM
you know there comes a time where players are just selfish tools ya know....and its not always the coach...in this case some instances were MCD but marshall started this train long before many even knew who josh mcdaniels was....

the fact is your right they will get paid elsewhere...but we shouldnt give them a free pass to act out if they perform on the field just becasue they could get the money elsewhere

You have to remember to some wins, right now, are all that count. Not giving a damn about what happens next year.

Now I'm not advocating losing seasons after each other.

But some times you have to bit the bullet to get better long term.

mike was a quick fix guy and did not seem to have long term goals, IMO. it was always going for the Expensive FA to fill a holes created by lack of planning for the future.

The only time I can remember him doing this was when he drafted Al Wilson at the time the LB corp was very strong. Then again when he picked a replacement for AL in the second round to use as leverage to get him signed.

But we all know that was a lousy choice, as were most of his picks in the draft.

I kinda like the motto No pain, no gain.

MBM is the root of all the issues with the team, is was not Joshes fault that he is an immature person that is constantly making trouble or problems for himself.

Could Josh handled the benching better, maybe but when the mircoscope is on BM and his antics just maybe Josh thought he needed tough love for the last time.

Does anyone really think he could have gotten off the podium without divulging why his just announced pro blower was being bench?

It would have come out somehow some way, but then I guess for some it would have been all right for Josh not to bench him of scheduler and allowed the TEAM to go into total disarray.

For those of you that can't wrap your jehad's around it. Sometimes when things are so out of control you just have to lay down the law.

I suspect that is what it was, when Pat had to fire mike and hire a tough little sheriff to clean up Dodge city.

Ravage!!!
03-08-2010, 05:35 PM
YEs.. you have MANY reasons you could say. use the NE "he has an injured extremity"... upper extremity if you want to talk about his head. You can say MANY things. You DON'T accuse a player of faking an injury. Because thats what it is, an unfounded accusation. Thats something that not only Marshall sees, but other players in the locker room as well. If that wasn't true, you wouldn't see ex-NFL players JUMP all over that part of McD's press conference. Even those that have been critical of Marshall.

This "cleaning up the Broncos" thing sounds great, and cute.... but the execution of it is all I care about. Thats somethign I haven't been impressed with at all.

T.K.O.
03-08-2010, 05:48 PM
YEs.. you have MANY reasons you could say. use the NE "he has an injured extremity"... upper extremity if you want to talk about his head. You can say MANY things. You DON'T accuse a player of faking an injury. Because thats what it is, an unfounded accusation. Thats something that not only Marshall sees, but other players in the locker room as well. If that wasn't true, you wouldn't see ex-NFL players JUMP all over that part of McD's press conference. Even those that have been critical of Marshall.

This "cleaning up the Broncos" thing sounds great, and cute.... but the execution of it is all I care about. Thats somethign I haven't been impressed with at all.

actually the media from dove valley said"he insinuated that marshall was exaggerating his injury" nowhere will you find a "" saying mcd accused brandon of "faking an injury"
here's a piece about it....
"There's a number of players that are going to play on Sunday with things that are much more difficult to deal with than what he has," McDaniels said, a phrase he repeated three times during his news conference.

"It's never going to be acceptable while I'm here and while this staff is here and while we're trying to build our staff with this philosophy. I don't know if it was acceptable before, but it isn't going to be now and it never will be. And this isn't about sending a message, it's about fielding a team that wants to go out there and win and give us the best opportunity to do that."

Ravage!!!
03-08-2010, 06:28 PM
actually the media from dove valley said"he insinuated that marshall was exaggerating his injury" nowhere will you find a "" saying mcd accused brandon of "faking an injury"
here's a piece about it....
"There's a number of players that are going to play on Sunday with things that are much more difficult to deal with than what he has," McDaniels said, a phrase he repeated three times during his news conference.

"It's never going to be acceptable while I'm here and while this staff is here and while we're trying to build our staff with this philosophy. I don't know if it was acceptable before, but it isn't going to be now and it never will be. And this isn't about sending a message, it's about fielding a team that wants to go out there and win and give us the best opportunity to do that."

Tell that to Schlereth and other NFL players that. When they heard his conference, thats EXACTLY what they said.... McDaniels accusing Marshall of faking an injury. YOu can word it however you wish.. but we can see what is being said.