PDA

View Full Version : Champ Bailey says he'll take Marshall under his wing

Tned
03-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Champ Bailey says he'll take Marshall under his wing
Associated Press

Updated: March 25, 2008, 7:58 PM EST

Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey said Tuesday he will step up to mentor beleaguered wide receiver Brandon Marshall in the aftermath of a freak accident that will keep Marshall from working out for four months.
Veteran Rod Smith mentored Marshall in his first two seasons, but Smith is on the injured retirement list. Bailey said he's willing to assume the role of big brother for Marshall, a third-year pro who caught 102 passes for 1,325 yards and seven touchdowns last year.

"I'm not really worried about him," Bailey said. "I'll keep my eye on him."

Marshall said he was roughhousing with family members on Saturday when he slipped on a fast-food bag and put his right arm through a home entertainment center. The Broncos confirmed Tuesday that Marshall lacerated an artery, a vein, a nerve, two tendons and three muscles in his right forearm.

He underwent surgery and could miss up to four months of offseason preparations while he heals.

"I think as a group we can definitely make sure he does his thing," Bailey said. "It's crazy something like this can happen.

"We know what he means to this team and we are going to need him. I just hope we do everything in our power as a team to get him back healthy and ready for the season."

Bailey was excited about Denver's recent signing of his younger brother, Boss, to a five-year, $17.5 million deal.

"He brings athleticism, he'll make some plays and that's big for us," Champ Bailey said. "He a guy that is definitely accountable."

Boss Bailey spent his first five seasons in Detroit after being selected in the second round of the 2003 draft. He had an outstanding career at Georgia, where he followed his older brother as an all-conference selection.

The 28-year-old linebacker has appeared in 58 games, including 51 starts, and has 258 tackles, seven sacks and two interceptions. Last season, he had a career-best 3 1/2 sacks and 47 tackles in 15 games.

"They didn't use him right in Detroit," Champ Bailey said. "We're going to use him right here. I'll make sure of that."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7953892/Champ-Bailey-says-he'll-take-Marshall-under-his-wing?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5#

Mike
03-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Good luck, Champ. But he might have found a guy he can't cover. :lol:

Skinny
03-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Champ puttin it down ... i like it ...

Bronco4ever
03-25-2008, 08:07 PM
When Champ first got here, he seemed awfully shy and timid. It's great seeing him step up to the plate and take the bull by the horns. I wish we could have a 53 man roster of Champ Bailey's.

dogfish
03-25-2008, 08:07 PM
good article T, thanks for posting. . . . i definitely consider that good news, as champ is a consummate professional-- hopefully he can be a positive influence on brandon. . . also, it's nice to see champ stepping up to a little more of a direct, vocal leadership role with rod smith being pretty much done at this point, and lynch likely in his last year as well. . . .

Tned
03-25-2008, 08:10 PM
good article T, thanks for posting. . . ..

No problem. I'm still good for something every once in a while, just not too often these days. :D

I hope Champ can get Marshal on to the fast track of maturity before he ruins his career with off field stuff.

dogfish
03-25-2008, 08:12 PM
No problem. I'm still good for something every once in a while, just not too often these days. :D

i miss your big essays. . . . :D

Tned
03-25-2008, 08:14 PM
i miss your big essays. . . . :D

I did a copy and paste job of a mini-essay in the top 10 QB thread. :laugh:

Be careful about encouraging me. Once I get into maximum verbosity (old Zork thing), I can't be stopped...

TXBRONC
03-25-2008, 08:21 PM
I hope that Brandon will listen very carefully to Champ's advice.

Scarface
03-25-2008, 09:13 PM
That's cool of Champ considering he was the first to start giving props to Brandon in training camp during his rookie year.

Drill-N-Fill
03-25-2008, 10:09 PM
I didn't feel this needed its own thread. Champ upset about kicker situation.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/mar/25/champ-concerned-over-loss-elam/

ENGLEWOOD — Champ Bailey despises losing.

The Pro Bowl cornerback hates losing teammates nearly as much, even if he understands the business side of the NFL.

But in his view, no offseason move the Broncos have made affected him more than the failure to retain kicker Jason Elam, who departed via free agency for the Atlanta Falcons.

"He's proven. He's done it for a long time," Bailey said Tuesday. "I'm very concerned."

Bailey called the move the "most significant" by the team this offseason, given the number of clutch kicks and experience in a variety of weather conditions to which Elam has been exposed in 15 years.

"There better be a guy who really impresses me when camp rolls around, because it'll really, really bother me then," Bailey said.

The Broncos will give unheralded Matt Prater a look as a replacement. They're also expected to meet this week with veteran Olindo Mare.

Bailey just hopes there isn't a repeat of his 2000 season with the Washington Redskins. Five different kickers attempted field goals that season, and they combined to miss 10 of 30, which contributed heavily to an 8-8 record.

"When you play for a long time, you understand how important the position is," he explained. "You lose games when you don't have one."

Bailey also didn't appear to be doing handstands over the team's collective offseason in free agency. In its biggest headline transactions, Denver added Bailey's brother, Boss, and another linebacker, Niko Koutouvides, as well as safeties Marquand Manuel and Marlon McCree and wide receiver Keary Colbert.

"Other than bringing in linebackers and receivers, I don't think we've done a whole lot," Champ Bailey said. "I think what we've done is let some key guys go that really helped us out last year. We're going to need guys step up to fill in those needs."

Bailey, a team captain, also realizes anything's possible after watching the 10-6 Giants go on a hot streak to reach the Super Bowl.

Still, he's not used to the fiscal restraint Denver has demonstrated the past couple of months.

"It's a little different. It's crazy," he said. "The (salary) cap number is high for every team this year and guys are demanding a lot of money, so you've got to go get it. It's good for the players, but as far as the team goes, you've got to just work with what you've got and what you can get."

shank
03-25-2008, 10:18 PM
i feel the same way champ does about the elam situation. if we go into the season with matt prater and olindo mare, i will not be a happy camper.

there's no reason we should have passed on crosby last year.

oh, wait. yeah there is. trading up for jarvis moss... worth it!

dogfish
03-25-2008, 10:37 PM
sucks to be champ-- he's such an incredible competitor, "rebuilding" isn't part of his vocabulary. . .

broncosfanscott
03-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Champ is a guy who is respected by players around the league and conducts himself in a classy manner. I am glad to see that Champ is going to try and mentor Marshall. I hope Champ rubs off on him.

shank
03-25-2008, 11:56 PM
Champ is a guy who is respected by players around the league and conducts himself in a classy manner. I am glad to see that Champ is going to try and mentor Marshall. I hope Champ rubs off on him.

see, that's just another scandal that we really don't need right now.

:D

TimBuff10
03-26-2008, 12:37 AM
Hopefully we dont read about Champ slipping on any Good Times wrappers and popping an ACL.

BroncoBJ
03-26-2008, 12:58 AM
Good stuff Tned. I read this too. Champs a pretty good guy. He was there for Javon after the D-will incident and now he's here to help Marshall out. Couldn't ask for a better teammate/friend. :salute:

Ricky
03-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Champ is really turning into a leader. He is one guy who backs it up on the field. Lets hope others will follow him.

JONtheBRONCO
03-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Marshall law: time to get hip
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post

Brandon Marshall's 24th birthday was Easter Sunday.

Don't you think it's about time to grow up, Brandon?

Marshall has been called "Baby T.O," a reference to his size and talent as a wide receiver.

The nickname is appropriate. He acts like a baby, and many of his actions are worse than Terrell Owens'.

Are we supposed to forgive Marshall his behavior and stupidity because he is the Broncos' best receiver? Perhaps he should visit Michael Vick in jail or Pacman Jones in exile. Marshall showed up in court Monday to request a continuance in his drunken-driving charge.

His arm was in a large cast. He didn't get the injury in a spring football drill.
At first, Marshall claimed he had suffered "small cuts" because, after he poured a glass of water, he accidentally slipped on a paper bag and his hand was scratched, and required stitches, when he fell into an entertainment center.

Later, Marshall admitted being involved in "horseplaying" with a relative, and his hand smashed through a TV screen. The "small cuts" severed an artery, nerves and tendons in five muscles of his right forearm.

"I understand I've had my problems, but what people are saying, they're trying to twist this thing around to make me sound like some kind of bad guy," Marshall said Monday.
Marshall has been some kind of bad guy in part because he has had lots of problems and isn't always forthcoming.

While he was a student-athlete at the University of Central Florida in 2004, Marshall was arrested in Orlando (where the recent "accident" occurred) on charges of assault on a law enforcement officer, disorderly conduct and resisting an officer. According to The Orlando Sentinel, Marshall's friends were arguing outside with others at a Denny's, and police were called. As the result of a shouting match, Marshall was arrested and handcuffed. Charges against Marshall were dropped, but he was suspended for one game. In another incident, he was charged with driving with a suspended license. There have been other unkind descriptions about Marshall's stay at UCF. Those occurrences can be dismissed as college foolishness and irresponsibility.

However, 2007, off the field, was particularly ugly for Marshall, and can't be dismissed so readily.

Shortly after midnight on New Year's Day, Broncos teammate Darrent Williams was murdered. Another Denver wide receiver, Javon Walker (released recently), and Williams' friends told HBO's "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel" that trouble began when two men got into an argument with Marshall and his cousin at a nightclub in downtown Denver. Media reports stated that Marshall sprayed champagne on the men, and they flashed gang signs. The dispute later was continued outside, and Walker said he pulled Williams away and into a limousine as Marshall and his cousin left in another car. Soon after a shot was fired into the limo Walker and Williams jumped in, and Williams was killed.

Marshall has declined to talk publicly (but, no doubt, to investigators) about events that night leading up to the tragedy.

In March of last year, Marshall was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence and false imprisonment. Marshall attempted to prevent a taxi, which picked up his girlfriend, from leaving his property in suburban Denver. Marshall said he was trying to retrieve his cellphone. Chargers were dropped when Marshall completed an anger management course.

Marshall was charged with DUI in October after being stopped in LoDo, but pleaded not guilty, and his attorney is challenging the Breathalyzer test result. With the Broncos, at training camp last year, Marshall sat out the first two weeks with a quadriceps injury. Coach Mike Shanahan then ordered Marshall to practice.

After the Broncos' 41-3 loss to San Diego at home on Oct. 7, Marshall ripped the spectators, most of whom departed long before the humiliating game ended. "If you're going to be a Broncos fan, be a Broncos fan. Don't boo us when we're down. When we start winning, then what?"

In December Marshall got into a brief shouting match in a receivers meeting with assistant coach Jeremy Bates, but denied rumors that he told Bates to cut him from the team.

Marshall's year on the field was spectacular. He finished fifth in the NFL in receptions, 102, and sixth in yardage, 1,325. He started all 16 games and scored seven touchdowns in his second season after being selected by the Broncos in the fourth round in 2006.

The 6-foot-4, 229-pound Marshall was a solid high school basketball player and the state triple jump champion in Florida after moving from Pennsylvania. His father was the all-city quarterback in Pittsburgh and played college ball and was, Marshall once said, "my biggest influence."

Marshall is gifted as a football player. He should have been chosen to the Pro Bowl. He could be the Broncos' No. 1 receiver for years. He could earn millions of dollars and become a star. He is Jay Cutler's favorite target and has worked on passing patterns in the offseason with the quarterback and tight end Tony Scheffler.

Marshall will be out with his injury until training camp, and maybe beyond.

Definitely, not perhaps, during his rehabilitation, Marshall should talk with Haven Moses, Steve Watson, Ed McCaffrey and Rod Smith — four of the Broncos' all-time great receivers and good people — about what it takes to be a quality man in this city, on this team and in society. Catching passes isn't enough.

Marshall must clean up his act and mature before his next birthday, or he will remain Baby T.O.

Retired_Member_001
03-26-2008, 05:37 PM
If Champ and Rod Smith can't make a man out of Brandon Marshall, I don't think anyone can.

Lonestar
03-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Good stuff Tned. I read this too. Champs a pretty good guy. He was there for Javon after the D-will incident and now he's here to help Marshall out. Couldn't ask for a better teammate/friend. :salute:

Well the javon thing did not work out so well..

Champ is really turning into a leader. He is one guy who backs it up on the field. Lets hope others will follow him.

Lets hope he can nail down the day care door and he keeps an eye on his brother also. Now that he has some extra cash to spend that could be an issue also.

Not being in DEN and getting most of my Bronco or for that matter NFL news via the INTERNET, I guess I did not realize Marshall had this much history ALSO.

I think I understand why Goodell is taking such strong actions..

Npba900
03-26-2008, 07:41 PM
Oh boy, first Marcus now Marshall. Marshall will miss 3 or 4 months healing and rehabbing. He won't be ready until June or July! It won't be until August when Brandon rounds into form and thats if everything goes thru w/o any off the field problems or healing issues.

Then there is always the possibility he pisses off Shanahan for perceived loafing or not rehabbing in a dedicated manner. Then of course Marshall is thin skin and immature so he'll saulk in the corner with his feelings hurt b/c when you're young and immature you think everyone is against you. The season starts in September, this is not looking good.

This Brandon's third season, if his numbers drop this season due to his injury and his immaturity, he's in danger with not landing that big contract by his fourth season. I really hate what could be brewing down the road. Bowlen and Shanahan will not want to risk making Brandon one of top 5 highest paid WR if he continues on the same track.

Marshall then becomes an unrestricted FA and believe me, his generation along with their agents will want their money NOW! And some team out there might make Brandon and offer he can't refuse.....then he's gone!!

Brandon will mature one day. The only question, will he mature as a Bronco? or will Brandon mature with another team.

Hold on fans, don't invest in a Brandon Marshall too soon. The only safe bet Jersey to purchase is JAY CUTLER!!

Lonestar
03-26-2008, 07:59 PM
I'd guess we are going toe know pretty soon if he has command of the motor skills to catch balls the rest is mental maturity and conditioning he has a pretty good feel what Jay can do and vice versa to bad he will not be able to continue the next few months but hoping the off season workouts in ATL will have cemented the relationship.

Might be time for PAT to re-do the contract with lots of incentives built in that are fair for both parties..

Npba900
03-26-2008, 08:09 PM
You know, Marshall cutting and his tendons and muscle could cause nerve damage or cause weakness or numbness with his hand as a result of his injury. I hope this isn't the case.

dogfish
03-26-2008, 08:23 PM
I'd guess we are going toe know pretty soon if he has command of the motor skills to catch balls the rest is mental maturity and conditioning he has a pretty good feel what Jay can do and vice versa to bad he will not be able to continue the next few months but hoping the off season workouts in ATL will have cemented the relationship.

Might be time for PAT to re-do the contract with lots of incentives built in that are fair for both parties..

NO WAY he's going to take an incentive-heavy contract after the season he just had-- i'm afraid that's nothing more than wishful thinking, unless the injury really does reduce his effectiveness. . .

Lonestar
03-26-2008, 08:35 PM
NO WAY he's going to take an incentive-heavy contract after the season he just had-- I'm afraid that's nothing more than wishful thinking, unless the injury really does reduce his effectiveness. . .

sometimes 5 guaranteed mil in the bank earning interest with more in incentives, is worth a "maybe" at the end off next season looking a leg cast cause you nuked your ACL trying to get an extra yard....

There are more than one way to look at it correct?

dogfish
03-26-2008, 08:44 PM
sometimes 5 guaranteed mil in the bank earning interest with more in incentives, is worth a "maybe" at the end off next season looking a leg cast cause you nuked your ACL trying to get an extra yard....

There are more than one way to look at it correct?

sure, but when's the last time a rising young star took an incentive-laden deal? i sure can't remember. . . and a lot of these guys purchase millions of dollars worth of insurance against potential injuries. . .

Lonestar
03-26-2008, 08:45 PM
sure, but when's the last time a rising young star took an incentive-laden deal? i sure can't remember. . . and a lot of these guys purchase millions of dollars worth of insurance against potential injuries. . .

when was the last time one of the young studs had an accident like this?

as in golf Never Up Never IN.

Does not hurt to ask does it..