PDA

View Full Version : TSN: Team Report

TXBRONC
03-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Rasizers report covers a lot of things that we have been over before, however some things seem confusing. I for instance the blurb on Shaun Rogers, hasn't he already been dealt to the Bengals?

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=391262

2008 Draft preview: Broncos' game plan
Posted: March 25, 2008
Lee Rasizer
For Sporting News

In-depth analysis of the Denver Broncos' plans for the 2008 NFL draft:

NEEDS

1. Defensive tackle. Nowhere over the last several seasons have the Broncos tinkered and failed as much as the middle of their front four. With the No. 12 pick, Denver may have a shot at USC's Sedrick Ellis, who could play nose tackle right away. A trade for help in the middle is also a possibility, particularly if Shaun Rogers gets his wish and is made available by the Lions.

2. Outside linebacker. Denver has some versatility here, depending on what it chooses to do with D.J. Williams, combined with free-agent additions Boss Bailey and Niko Koutouvides. In his first year manning the middle, Williams led the AFC in tackles, but his best position is probably at weak side. The Broncos could go with USC's Keith Rivers as a weakside option, but Penn State's Dan Connor could be the best linebacker at any position available in the draft.

3. Wide receiver. Brandon Marshall emerged as a star last season and Brandon Stokley is among the best slot receivers in the game. But there's the recent news of Marshall's right arm injury, and earlier, Javon Walker got his wish and got out to sign with rival Oakland, however. Even though the team took a chance on former Panther Keary Colbert, Denver could use another wideout to be safe.

4. Offensive tackle. Last year's third-round pick, Ryan Harris, is the favorite to start at left tackle in 2008, despite appearing mainly on special teams in 11 games last season. But right tackle Erik Pears is more of a stopgap option than a long-term building block, and the Broncos need another developmental prospect capable of starting in the near future and serving in the short term as a swing backup.

5. Safety. Hamza Abdullah took over for the injured Nick Ferguson midway through last season and showed enough to put himself in position to start this year, but he remains inexperienced. It's unsure what roles two free-agent additions, Marquand Manuel and Marlon McCree, will play. The Broncos need additional speed and range on the back end. Barring a free-agent move, Denver will get a first-day safety in all likelihood, whether it's Miami's Kenny Phillips or (if the team shoots lower) LSU's Craig Steltz or Alabama's Simeon Castille.

6. Defensive end. The Broncos are fairly set as a group here. However, the team's best run-stuffing end, Ebenezer Ekuban, is coming off a major Achilles injury, while John Engelberger is a high-motor player but hardly a star. Denver could use another big-bodied end to help against the run.

7. Running back. The addition of Travis Henry was supposed to provide the vision, cutback ability and toughness that makes Denver's zone-blocking scheme so lethal when operated properly. However, a knee injury and off-the-field issues puts his future in doubt. Selvin Young and Andre Hall provide excellent depth and big-play ability, but the Broncos need a more punishing runner who can move the chains in short yardage if Henry leaves. Bringing back Cecil Sapp helps only to a certain extent.

8. Punter/kicker. The Broncos have been able to identify young talent at this position; they just can't hang on to it. It may be time to expend another draft pick on someone such as Georgia Tech's Durant Brooks to bolster the special teams, especially with the club having two fourth- and fifth-round picks at its disposal and no real experienced punter currently on the roster. Recently, the team also saw long-time kicker Jason Elam leave for Atlanta as a free agent. So potentially, the rookie the Broncos add here would fill one of the above duties and also handle kickoffs.

OUTLOOK

Team owner Pat Bowlen said early this offseason that the Broncos have seen the enemy, and it's themselves. He was talking about overall attitude, but Bowlen just as well may have been speaking of the club's recent draft history. Too many missed picks and the dealing away of choices have finally caught up to the club.

The Broncos could actually try to stockpile picks this year instead of trading them. It wouldn't be a shock to see Denver move down a few spots from No. 12 if it can recover its missing third-round pick (which was dealt to the Vikings last year so the team could move up and take defensive tackle Marcus Thomas) in the process.

Den21vsBal19
03-25-2008, 07:46 PM
I'd say that's a pretty good sumation of where we're at........

Thanks for the read

TXBRONC
03-25-2008, 08:22 PM
I'd say that's a pretty good sumation of where we're at........

Thanks for the read

You're welcome mate. :beer:

shank
03-25-2008, 09:11 PM
i don't know how you can be a professional and not know that rogers was traded already weeks ago...

i will also not be too happy personally at this point if we take a day one safety. any day one safeties value is somewhat inflated due to the bad talent pool, which is shallow this year. signing mccree and manuel hopefully mean that we're sitting content for a year at safety and we will get a stud in next years deep safety draft, and use this year's early picks on areas of need that we haven't yet addressed through FA (DT, WR, OT, RB).

lex
03-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Rasizers report covers a lot of things that we have been over before, however some things seem confusing. I for instance the blurb on Shaun Rogers, hasn't he already been dealt to the Bengals?

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=391262

2008 Draft preview: Broncos' game plan
Posted: March 25, 2008
Lee Rasizer
For Sporting News

In-depth analysis of the Denver Broncos' plans for the 2008 NFL draft:

NEEDS

1. Defensive tackle. Nowhere over the last several seasons have the Broncos tinkered and failed as much as the middle of their front four. With the No. 12 pick, Denver may have a shot at USC's Sedrick Ellis, who could play nose tackle right away. A trade for help in the middle is also a possibility, particularly if Shaun Rogers gets his wish and is made available by the Lions.

2. Outside linebacker. Denver has some versatility here, depending on what it chooses to do with D.J. Williams, combined with free-agent additions Boss Bailey and Niko Koutouvides. In his first year manning the middle, Williams led the AFC in tackles, but his best position is probably at weak side. The Broncos could go with USC's Keith Rivers as a weakside option, but Penn State's Dan Connor could be the best linebacker at any position available in the draft.

3. Wide receiver. Brandon Marshall emerged as a star last season and Brandon Stokley is among the best slot receivers in the game. But there's the recent news of Marshall's right arm injury, and earlier, Javon Walker got his wish and got out to sign with rival Oakland, however. Even though the team took a chance on former Panther Keary Colbert, Denver could use another wideout to be safe.

4. Offensive tackle. Last year's third-round pick, Ryan Harris, is the favorite to start at left tackle in 2008, despite appearing mainly on special teams in 11 games last season. But right tackle Erik Pears is more of a stopgap option than a long-term building block, and the Broncos need another developmental prospect capable of starting in the near future and serving in the short term as a swing backup.

5. Safety. Hamza Abdullah took over for the injured Nick Ferguson midway through last season and showed enough to put himself in position to start this year, but he remains inexperienced. It's unsure what roles two free-agent additions, Marquand Manuel and Marlon McCree, will play. The Broncos need additional speed and range on the back end. Barring a free-agent move, Denver will get a first-day safety in all likelihood, whether it's Miami's Kenny Phillips or (if the team shoots lower) LSU's Craig Steltz or Alabama's Simeon Castille.

6. Defensive end. The Broncos are fairly set as a group here. However, the team's best run-stuffing end, Ebenezer Ekuban, is coming off a major Achilles injury, while John Engelberger is a high-motor player but hardly a star. Denver could use another big-bodied end to help against the run.

7. Running back. The addition of Travis Henry was supposed to provide the vision, cutback ability and toughness that makes Denver's zone-blocking scheme so lethal when operated properly. However, a knee injury and off-the-field issues puts his future in doubt. Selvin Young and Andre Hall provide excellent depth and big-play ability, but the Broncos need a more punishing runner who can move the chains in short yardage if Henry leaves. Bringing back Cecil Sapp helps only to a certain extent.

8. Punter/kicker. The Broncos have been able to identify young talent at this position; they just can't hang on to it. It may be time to expend another draft pick on someone such as Georgia Tech's Durant Brooks to bolster the special teams, especially with the club having two fourth- and fifth-round picks at its disposal and no real experienced punter currently on the roster. Recently, the team also saw long-time kicker Jason Elam leave for Atlanta as a free agent. So potentially, the rookie the Broncos add here would fill one of the above duties and also handle kickoffs.

OUTLOOK

Team owner Pat Bowlen said early this offseason that the Broncos have seen the enemy, and it's themselves. He was talking about overall attitude, but Bowlen just as well may have been speaking of the club's recent draft history. Too many missed picks and the dealing away of choices have finally caught up to the club.

The Broncos could actually try to stockpile picks this year instead of trading them. It wouldn't be a shock to see Denver move down a few spots from No. 12 if it can recover its missing third-round pick (which was dealt to the Vikings last year so the team could move up and take defensive tackle Marcus Thomas) in the process.

Rogers was dealt to the Browns.

TXBRONC
03-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Rogers was dealt to the Browns.

Thanks.

Cugel
03-26-2008, 12:25 PM
I don't know how anybody could write as if they haven't been paying any attention this offseason and still be taken seriously!

Shaun Rogers was dealt weeks ago, and Sedrick Ellis won't fall out of the top 10, in fact, he's likely to be the top DT taken and would be a good bet to go at #5 -#8 if not sooner. Some mocks have him in the top 5.

There's just NO chance the Broncos will get him unless they trade up, since the Bengals are sitting at #9 just waiting for either Dorsey or Ellis to fall to them.

So, right off, this article doesn't make any sense.

The majority of decent mocks I've seen at least address those simple concerns and don't have Sedrick Ellis available at #12.

There's an outside chance that Dorsey might fall that far due to injury concerns, but that's unlikely too.

Overall, the Broncos will be lucky if they have a choice between a LT - Clady or Williams, or RB - Mendenhall or Stewart. Anything else is a major reach.

If they can trade back in the round, then they could take a DT late in the first round - Kentwan Balmer or Trevor Laws come to mind, take an OT in the 2nd round, and still pick up a 3rd round pick to use on a WR or S or LB for instance. (Or another DT or OT, they need depth at both lines badly).

But, the Broncos might NOT be able to swing a trade unless someone desperately wants to take Mendenhall (possibly Dallas).

BOSSHOGG30
03-26-2008, 12:29 PM
7. Running back. the Broncos need a more punishing runner who can move the chains in short yardage if Henry leaves.

Jonathan Stewart?

BOSSHOGG30
03-26-2008, 12:36 PM
http://community.theolympian.com/albums/album84/stewart.jpg

honz
03-26-2008, 12:44 PM
http://community.theolympian.com/albums/album84/stewart.jpg
Dude needs to hit the weights a little harder...

Jesus christ! I didn't realize Stewart was that beastly. Snag him Shanny!:elefant:

BOSSHOGG30
03-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Jonathan Stewart Video collection

2005 Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwSKFOfc04Q

Amazing run versus Houston
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2yKRVAHItU&feature=related

Showing the wheels
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLS6C0HKrMc&feature=related

Dixon and Stewart highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgtsSxI6bAQ&feature=related

Run versus Arizona St.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCZJfJ4ZS0Q&feature=related

Interview after game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gljLn4aRLI8&feature=related

Post game comments
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_Zvn9vAIMA&feature=related

Declares for NFL draft
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9Q1tnz4108&feature=related

NFL College Gameday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE5hqLwig2U&feature=related

Sun Bowl Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykhQIzChUR4&feature=related

Monster stiff arm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFZJh2FxOR8&feature=related

Lonestar
03-26-2008, 01:39 PM
Regardless of whom falls to where and who is or is not available in FA.. They nailed the issues with this club down pretty well.

Can anyone fault that portion of it?

One must remember they are compiling data from 32 teams and I suspect they wrote some of this more than yesterday.

They just might have a good feeling about whom falls to where after talking with all of the clubs..

More so than some of the regurgitated mock drafters do..

I thought their insight on our needs was pretty good considering they do not eat sleep and breath Broncos like many on here do..

Cugel
03-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Regardless of whom falls to where and who is or is not available in FA.. They nailed the issues with this club down pretty well.

Can anyone fault that portion of it?

One must remember they are compiling data from 32 teams and I suspect they wrote some of this more than yesterday.

They just might have a good feeling about whom falls to where after talking with all of the clubs..

More so than some of the regurgitated mock drafters do..

I thought their insight on our needs was pretty good considering they do not eat sleep and breath Broncos like many on here do..
Aside from DE where I think the Broncos are set and don't take anybody, it's sure easy to see where they have needs: DT, OT, LB, S, #2 WR.

As for whether he has a better view of what teams are dong than the mock drafters, we'll see if Sedrick Ellis falls out of the top 8. I'm betting NO. Any takers?

topscribe
03-26-2008, 02:24 PM
Pretty fair assessment in the article.

Except the greater need at LB is ILB, in my opinion. D.J. and Boss are good
OLBs . . . D.J. is better at WLB than inside, IMO (although he did pretty well
inside). There is good depth outside, too. In fact, the depth inside is pretty
good . . . the Broncos just need a starter there, IMO.

-----

BOSSHOGG30
03-26-2008, 02:30 PM
Pretty fair assessment in the article.

Except the greater need at LB is ILB, in my opinion. D.J. and Boss are good
OLBs . . . D.J. is better at WLB than inside, IMO (although he did pretty well
inside). There is good depth outside, too. In fact, the depth inside is pretty
good . . . the Broncos just need a starter there, IMO.

-----

I agree.... Williams and Boss are good outside backers then if you throw Webster and Winborn into that mix we have good depth. I'm not so sure about MLB unless they think Kootie is an iron man and won't get hurt.

Lonestar
03-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Aside from DE where I think the Broncos are set and don't take anybody, it's sure easy to see where they have needs: DT, OT, LB, S, #2 WR.
As for whether he has a better view of what teams are dong than the mock drafters, we'll see if Sedrick Ellis falls out of the top 8. I'm betting NO. Any takers?

Oh I suspect he will not fall either, but my point it was that while we here know the donkeys intimately he/she is looking at 32 teams and ever thing is not going to be 100% current, when they publish.

I'm guessing that fans of 31 other teams are saying this guy is full of crap also..

Now the real question is will the Broncos realize they have needs: DT, OT, LB, S, #2 WR.

Nice to see you posting here.. You have always brought value to the forum. More so from the legal side..

Have missed seeing your post from mania..As you can see we have many quality guys here.. stick around..

topscribe
03-26-2008, 02:34 PM
I agree.... Williams and Boss are good outside backers then if you throw Webster and Winborn into that mix we have good depth. I'm not so sure about MLB unless they think Kootie is an iron man and won't get hurt.

Yes, Koutouvides is whom I was talking about regarding depth at Mike (and
Webster has been there in a pinch, too). I just don't know how that will work
out: starting a career backup at Mike. That is just too important a position,
IMO.

-----

Lonestar
03-26-2008, 02:37 PM
IMO.

-----

HEy Top the only reason he was not starting was because he was behind an ALL world MIKE..

topscribe
03-26-2008, 02:38 PM
HEy Top the only reason he was not starting was because he was behind an ALL world MIKE..

I hope you're right. But all that means to me is the jury is still out . . .

-----

TXBRONC
03-27-2008, 08:39 PM
IMO.

-----

When Glenn Cadrez became our starting Mike 1998 he had more or less been a career back up.

gobroncsnv
03-28-2008, 06:57 AM
Agree about Cadrez, although we could get by with him there because our Dline was a force to be reckoned with back then. We don't have that going for us now. But the analogy about Cadrez and Koutie is valid, player for player.

TXBRONC
03-28-2008, 07:17 AM
Agree about Cadrez, although we could get by with him there because our Dline was a force to be reckoned with back then. We don't have that going for us now. But the analogy about Cadrez and Koutie is valid, player for player.

Our defensive line was kind of mixed bag. We didn't give up huge amounts of yards but the ypc against them was around 4 if I remember correctly.

Tned
03-28-2008, 07:38 AM
Our defensive line was kind of mixed bag. We didn't give up huge amounts of yards but the ypc against them was around 4 if I remember correctly.

Getting out to early and large leads does wonders for the run defense.