PDA

View Full Version : Seahawks in serious consideration to give Marshall an Offer Sheet (merged)

Sparky The Sun Devil
03-05-2010, 02:32 PM
on ESPN from Adam S, they are seriously thinking about giving him an offer. By rule we would get the 6th overall pick!!!!!!!!!!!

underrated29
03-05-2010, 02:32 PM
See ya Brandon!!!!

camdisco24
03-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Just saw that too.
Adam Schefter said he thinks we would go for Dez Bryant in the draft if this offer goes though.
The question is... would you rather have Bryant or Marshall on our team???

LTC Pain
03-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Hot damn, bye bye Brandon. The Broncos would also get the Seahawks 3rd round pick as well.

Sparky The Sun Devil
03-05-2010, 02:34 PM
See ya Brandon!!!!

he would be reunited with jeremy bates, our former OC. they got an owner with deep pockets, and another number 1 pick. i reallly hope this happens

underrated29
03-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Hot damn, bye bye Brandon. The Broncos would also get the Seahawks 3rd round pick as well.

why?

Sparky The Sun Devil
03-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Just saw that too.
Adam Schefter said he thinks we would go for Dez Bryant in the draft if this offer goes though.

I dont think McD would want Bryant with his own character issues. no one has mentioned that.

We wont get SEA's thrid round pick. We only gave him a first round tender

underrated29
03-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Just saw that too.

Screw bryant at #6. I want Bradofrd!!!!! That is if he makes it past STL and WAS....

Really I could see us picking at 6 then trading 11 back for some 2nds or so. Stock up. Maybe a team like Pitts- I know i keep saying them but i think so.

Ziggy
03-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Getting the 6th pick for Marshall would be incredible. The Broncos would have a ton of leverage to move up in a trade, or take a stud player that dropped. Eric Berry, or someone like that.

Sparky The Sun Devil
03-05-2010, 02:37 PM
From Adam's twitter account:

Filed to ESPN: Seattle is strongly considering signing Broncos restricted free-agent WR Brandon Marshall. A huge move.

If Seattle signs Brandon Marshall to the offer sheet, Broncos would have seven days to match -- or get back the draft's sixth overall pick.

tsiguy96
03-05-2010, 02:38 PM
please let it happen.

LTC Pain
03-05-2010, 02:39 PM
why?

I was wrong. Thought Marshall's RFA tender offer was a first and third round pick. It's only for a 1st round pick, sorry.

underrated29
03-05-2010, 02:42 PM
I was wrong. Thought Marshall's RFA tender offer was a first and third round pick. It's only for a 1st round pick, sorry.

No worries I thought you knew something that wasnt reported yet

Sparky The Sun Devil
03-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Adam just said BMarsh is going there tomorrow

Denver Native (Carol)
03-05-2010, 02:50 PM
http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2010/03/05/morning-links-with-burleson-out-is-wr-marshall-in/

With Nate Burleson now headed to Detroit, expect the Brandon Marshall to Seattle talk to heat up. Burleson’s departure opens up a spot for Marshall to slide into the starting lineup if the Seahawks choose to bring him in.

There are the obvious ties in Seattle, with offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates, who previously worked with Marshall in Denver, now in charge of the Seahawks’ offense, along with former Bronco coaches Jedd Fisch and Pat McPherson in the fold.

Aaron Wilson of the National Football Post reports that there’s a strong rumor the Seahawks are taking a long look at Brandon Marshall.

The Seahawks brass have some serious soul searching to do before they make a decision to potentially give up a first rounder to bring in someone like Marshall, who has had his share of off-the-field issues. But at 25-years-old, Marshall is one of the top receivers in the league, and a change of scenery might be the thing he needs to help get his life in order.

Bates had said during his interview with reporters that they would be a change at the X or split end position. I initially thought that meant Houshmandzadeh was moving to split end, or X, but perhaps he meant that the team was going to bring in someone like Marshall or draft someone to play split end.

Read more: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2010/03/05/morning-links-with-burleson-out-is-wr-marshall-in/#ixzz0hKjjN8ws

underrated29
03-05-2010, 02:50 PM
yeah he also said we are NOT likely to get the #6 pick from them. We are likely to get the #14 or some other compensation...

I would only want to send marshall for #6. I do not want #14 back for him.

That would then be alphonzo and whoever we take at #14 for marshall....I am not to fond of this and like it less and less now.

SOCALORADO.
03-05-2010, 02:52 PM
The 6th pick will net DEN a really solid player. Or DEN could move up to #3, and it wont be a huge deal.
Then trade back with the other 1st. Possibly net a really good player in the trade back too, maybe. Or more picks.
Wouldnt mind if DEN did indeed have the 6th pick, that DEN moved out of the 1st into the top of the 2nd round with a couple picks. Maybe with TB.

Dean
Trade a third for Bolden and use the two first as is or in trade to strengthen the team long term.

CoachChaz
Well, if Seattle signs him to an offer sheet...they have no choice...they have to give up #6. The only way we take 14 for him is if it's negotiated beforehand and most liely we'll ask for something in addition to that.

Seattle doesnt get to choose which pick they send us

elsid13
yeah he also said we are NOT likely to get the #6 pick from them. We are likely to get the #14 or some other compensation...

I would only want to send marshall for #6. I do not want #14 back for him.

That would then be alphonzo and whoever we take at #14 for marshall....I am not to fond of this and like it less and less now.

If they sign him to offer sheet, then we get their "pick" by the rules, not ours.

Ziggy
03-05-2010, 02:56 PM
I'd still be happy with the 14th pick for him in a trade. If the Broncos wanted to keep him, they more than likely would have tendered him for a 1st and 3rd.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Well, if Seattle signs him to an offer sheet...they have no choice...they have to give up #6. The only way we take 14 for him is if it's negotiated beforehand and most liely we'll ask for something in addition to that.

Seattle doesnt get to choose which pick they send us

Question - Since the Broncos want a 1st round pick for Brandon, and Seattle has two picks in the 1st round - #6 & #14 - do they have to give their highest pick in the 1st round to the Broncos, or just a pick in the 1st round?

T.K.O.
03-05-2010, 02:57 PM
combine 6 and 11 take the rams #1 and get suh !:elefant:

BroncoWave
03-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Question - Since the Broncos want a 1st round pick for Brandon, and Seattle has two picks in the 1st round - #6 & #14 - do they have to give their highest pick in the 1st round to the Broncos, or just a pick in the 1st round?

They have to give their pick that they earned with their record, which is #6.

MileHighCrew
03-05-2010, 02:58 PM
It is a mixed feeling for me. The #6 picks is awesome but I love Brandon, even when he is a jerk, like family. I like the idea of flipping a third for Boldin if this happens though

underrated29
If they sign him to offer sheet, then we get their "pick" by the rules, not ours.

Right, but what i was saying is what coach just said and what schefter thinks will happen.

They will negotiate something less than the 6th for marshall ahead of time as no one else has come calling for him, why would they give up their 6th.....

Obviously we can say hey- you want him sign him or dont and he will stay with us, but that is what was reported that we will probably do a pre negotiation..........

And that scares me shitless!

T.K.O.
or 14 and 11.....i wonder why schefter thinks its for the #6:confused:

silkamilkamonico
The talk is Denver will discuss letting Brandon go at the expense of Seattle's 14th and possible other compensation. Denver has the right to except lesser value then the offer.

If Denver does that, **** that.

#6 (maybe) or nothing.

Ziggy

To just sign him to an offer sheet they have to give up thier own pick. They can always ask for a trade for the 14th though.

BroncoWave
03-05-2010, 02:59 PM
combine 6 and 11 take the rams #1 and get suh !:elefant:

I would much rather trade up to 3 than 1 because St. Louis is almost certainly taking Bradford and that leaves us with either Suh or McCoy at 3.

I'd rather just keep our 2 first rounders though and take Dez Bryant and a top defensive player.

underrated29
03-05-2010, 03:01 PM
The talk is Denver will discuss letting Brandon go at the expense of Seattle's 14th and possible other compensation. Denver has the right to except lesser value then the offer.

#6 (maybe) or nothing.

Now people are getting it. And I agree silky 100%

elsid13
03-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Right, but what i was saying is what coach just said and what schefter thinks will happen.

They will negotiate something less than the 6th for marshall ahead of time as no one else has come calling for him, why would they give up their 6th.....

Obviously we can say hey- you want him sign him or dont and he will stay with us, but that is what was reported that we will probably do a pre negotiation..........

And that scares me shitless!

I would take a 2nd, 4th, 6th and Unger in second for Marshall

Ravage!!!
03-05-2010, 03:03 PM
NO WAY Seattle gives up the 6th pick when Denver may not get another 1st pick offered. That would be stupid of them, and considering we knew Marshall was gone a LONG time ago, I'm thinking 14 is looking much better than I expected.

Lets be honest. McD does not want Marshall here. Getting the 14th pick in the draft, along with the 11th, may give us chance to either move up and get a big boy, OR.. ammo to move down and gather more picks in a VERY VERY deep draft.

But Marshall will be gone, and we won't get the 6th pick for him.

Buff
03-05-2010, 03:11 PM

#6 (maybe) or nothing.

Especially after they took a hard line in the Alphonso Smith trade last year and wouldn't accept a conditional 1st round draft pick.

silkamilkamonico
03-05-2010, 03:13 PM
#14 pick doesn't really do anything for us at the expense of Marshall. It certainly doesn't make us better next year, and it ver likely will not make us better in the long run.

Ravage!!!
03-05-2010, 03:14 PM
:lol:

Let's be honest. McD does want Marshall here, whis is why he tendered him a first.

No... thats because he knows he can get a first for him. Thats why he didn't tender a 1st and 3rd :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get the value. If he wanted him here, he would have put a 1st and 3rd on him. Instead, he made the opportunity to snag him very tempting.

We saw it from last year. You dont' simply sit your star player down during the biggest game of the year, go to the media and blame it on him, and then simply turn around and believe everything is going to be 'fine.' McD knows Marshall is never going to "fall in line" to his liking.

Putting the 1st tender on him instead of the 1st and third is telling everyone, "he's available."

WARHORSE
03-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Look, Carroll is an offensive guy.

Think he wants to put his butt on the line for a rookie QB to develop?

Not only that, but the Houshyomama signing will look incredibly stupid without a threat playing opposite him, cause without that, hes average.

Brandon, the kid TE, Houshyo, a rookie RB they can get in round two, and an offensive tackle at 14 turns that into another offense.

And if its OT that Seattle is targeting, then why pay 6 money when you can get a great player at 14?

In this way, they avoid having to pay Marshall AND a number 6 pick.

Buff
03-05-2010, 03:16 PM
#14 pick doesn't really do anything for us at the expense of Marshall. It certainly doesn't make us better next year, and it ver likely will not make us better in the long run.

In reality, I expected that if any team signed him it would be someone in the #24-#32 range... Some team like Baltimore could still decide to sign him to a poison-pill offer sheet and we'd get a late first rounder without any say in the matter. So, while I would much rather have the #6 pick, I think Seattle has some decent leverage in not wanting to give that up.

Ravage!!!
03-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Look, Carroll is an offensive guy.

Think he wants to put his butt on the line for a rookie QB to develop?

Not only that, but the Houshyomama signing will look incredibly stupid without a threat playing opposite him, cause without that, hes average.

Brandon, the kid TE, Houshyo, a rookie RB they can get in round two, and an offensive tackle at 14 turns that into another offense.

And if its OT that Seattle is targeting, then why pay 6 money when you can get a great player at 14?

In this way, they avoid having to pay Marshall AND a number 6 pick.

So you are saying that you can get a great pick at 14, which will be their reasoning for trading only the 14 for Marshall, who was taken in the 4th round.

They can grab a QB at 6 if Clausen or Bradford is still there, if not they could probably still move down.

T.K.O.
03-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Seahawks "strongly considering" a move for Marshall
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 5, 2010 2:38 PM ET
Quiet in free agency, the Seahawks are readying to make a big splash on the trade market.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the Seahawks are strongly considering signing Broncos wideout Brandon Marshall to an offer sheet.

If the Seahawks signed Marshall and the Broncos didn't match the contract, Seattle would owe Denver the No. 6 overall pick in the draft. But that's not very likely to happen.

The Seahawks and Broncos can negotiate to send lesser trade compensation more befitting Marshall's value.

Seattle owns the No. 14 pick in the draft, which they got from Denver last year. They probably would have to use that in a trade unless they could convince the Broncos to take less.

Either way, Schefter writes Seattle is "absolutely" preparing to make a run at Marshall. There doesn't appear to be a lot of competition for him, so we don't see why it can't happen.

Then again, maybe the release of this report is aimed at creating more competition for Marshall's services.

UPDATE: Marshall is expected to visit Seattle Saturday. They aren't messing around.

silkamilkamonico
03-05-2010, 03:21 PM
No... thats because he knows he can get a first for him. Thats why he didn't tender a 1st and 3rd :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get the value. If he wanted him here, he would have put a 1st and 3rd on him. Instead, he made the opportunity to snag him very tempting.

We saw it from last year. You dont' simply sit your star player down during the biggest game of the year, go to the media and blame it on him, and then simply turn around and believe everything is going to be 'fine.' McD knows Marshall is never going to "fall in line" to his liking.

Putting the 1st tender on him instead of the 1st and third is telling everyone, "he's available."

I tried deleting to save you the argument, but you lost all credibility with that post when you stated "let's be honest. he didn't want him here".

I'm sure putting a first round tender on you surely says "I just don't want you here", regardless of everything he's said positive about Marshall. I mean, it isn't like McDaniels comes out and tells blatant lies to everyone.

silkamilkamonico
03-05-2010, 03:23 PM
In reality, I expected that if any team signed him it would be someone in the #24-#32 range... Some team like Baltimore could still decide to sign him to a poison-pill offer sheet and we'd get a late first rounder without any say in the matter. So, while I would much rather have the #6 pick, I think Seattle has some decent leverage in not wanting to give that up.

If a team signed him to the mid 20's, Denver truly has no intentions of actually winning, and I've been lied to by the organization since 2001.

Ziggy
03-05-2010, 03:24 PM
I don't buy that money plays into this at all. It's an uncapped year and the Seahawks owner is one of the richest men in the world.

WARHORSE
03-05-2010, 03:24 PM
NO WAY Seattle gives up the 6th pick when Denver may not get another 1st pick offered. That would be stupid of them, and considering we knew Marshall was gone a LONG time ago, I'm thinking 14 is looking much better than I expected.

Lets be honest. McD does not want Marshall here. Getting the 14th pick in the draft, along with the 11th, may give us chance to either move up and get a big boy, OR.. ammo to move down and gather more picks in a VERY VERY deep draft.

All the teams that are playing 'disinterested' in Brandon are about to come out of the woodwork.

Seattle is going to try and get a deal done quickly, cause they dont want Brandon going anywhere else.

Seattle is putting pressure on those other teams to show their hands now.

Its going to heat up.

If a few other teams come into the mix, Denver will demand top compensation, and rightly so.

This is fantastic news, cause Seattle has a huge bankroll, and Carroll wants to win now.

Buff
03-05-2010, 03:30 PM
If a team signed him to the mid 20's, Denver truly has no intentions of actually winning, and I've been lied to by the organization since 2001.

I'm talking draft spots. A team in that range of draft slots will sign him is what I was saying... Not $$.

silkamilkamonico
03-05-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm talking draft spots. A team in that range of draft slots will sign him is what I was saying... Not $$.

Right. IMHO anything less than the 15th overall pick does nothing for our team in terms of improvement. Now to come and think about it, I'm not even the least bit interested in the 14th.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-05-2010, 03:33 PM

It's kind of sad that your views are that short sighted and simple minded. I hardly think the team has no interest in winning because they trade BM to a team w/ a pick in the 20s.

CoachChaz
03-05-2010, 03:34 PM
When did we get so greedy that the #14 pick is worthless?

CoachChaz
03-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Why does Seattle want to tie up 16-17 million dollars in two WR's when they dont have a QB, RB ot LT?

T.K.O.
03-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Right. IMHO anything less than the 15th overall pick does nothing for our team in terms of improvement. Now to come and think about it, I'm not even the least bit interested in the 14th.

for a player that may not want to be here?a player that champmfbailey said "had it coming" when asked about his final game benching? a player who disrupted tc with childish bs?
i agree he is a top reciever,but there are many out there that dont come with the headaches and a #14 at this point might be well worth it

WARHORSE
So you are saying that you can get a great pick at 14, which will be their reasoning for trading only the 14 for Marshall, who was taken in the 4th round.

They can grab a QB at 6 if Clausen or Bradford is still there, if not they could probably still move down.

Think Carroll wants a QB?

All that does is put pressure on him and Hassellbeck.

No new coach wants to start off with a rookie QB unless its Peyton.

silkamilkamonico
It's kind of sad that your views are that short sighted and simple minded. I hardly think the team has no interest in winning because they trade BM to a team w/ a pick in the 20s.

In terms of roster improvement...yea. Trade for the 14th pick, to get a guy that will probably contribute maybe even be a great impact player in 2-3 years.

And the 14th pick is hardly "worthless". It just makes a similiar comparison at the expense of our only legitimate offensive talent.

Can you imagine the Lions trading Calvin Johnson away for the 14th pick, even under these circumstances? Then again, at least they have a hopeful future star playing Qb for them.

Biz1
03-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Why does Seattle want to tie up 16-17 million dollars in two WR's when they dont have a QB, RB ot LT?

Good question, my initial reaction is they wouldn't. Plus I'm hearing nothing further on Seattle from any source.

silkamilkamonico
03-05-2010, 03:39 PM
for a player that may not want to be here?a player that champmfbailey said "had it coming" when asked about his final game benching? a player who disrupted tc with childish bs?
i agree he is a top reciever,but there are many out there that dont come with the headaches and a #14 at this point might be well worth it

1) He wants to be here.

2) Champ Bailey said nothing about Marshall "had it coming". That's absurd. He's already stated there was no names dropped in that meeting, and the specualtion is it was a meeting based on Scheffler, not Marshall.

Again, character players are great and all, but at some point you need talent. Our lines are filled with "high character players", and our lines are garbage.

Ziggy
03-05-2010, 03:40 PM
In terms of roster improvement...yea. Trade for the 14th pick, to get a guy that will probably contribute maybe even be a great impact player in 2-3 years.

And the 14th pick is hardly "worthless". It just makes a similiar comparison at the expense of our only legitimate offensive talent.

Can you imagine the Lions trading Calvin Johnson away for the 14th pick, even under these circumstances? Then again, at least they have a hopeful future star playing Qb for them.

Calvin Johnson isn't 1 incident away from an 8 game or longer suspension. He also hasn't been a disruption in training camp. Now you're reaching.

BroncoWave
03-05-2010, 03:40 PM
So if we get the 14 from them, does that basically mean we traded Brandon Marshall for Alphonso Smith?

WARHORSE
03-05-2010, 03:41 PM
When did we get so greedy that the #14 pick is worthless?

Since Seattle decided to fly Brandon in right away and showed everyone they couldnt keep their itchy fingers out of the cookie jar.

We got on our P-P-P-P-OKER FACES on, and its a 6 or NUTHIN!

silkamilkamonico
03-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Fine, we'll leave it at me reaching.

Like I've said in the past, this team better have 9+ wins next year, or I'm turning from supporting McDaniels and company, to wanting him fired.

I would hate to have to go and bag on him every oppurtunity I got like I do with Shanahan. If that happens, I would hate thinking, "I actually thought this guy could turn it around".

silkamilkamonico
03-05-2010, 03:42 PM
So if we get the 14 from them, does that basically mean we traded Brandon Marshall for Alphonso Smith?

LMAO classic.

I think I'm starting the turn around already.

dogfish
03-05-2010, 03:44 PM
i'll be really surprised if we get #6 from them-- i just don't see that happening. . . i'm assuming that if they want to go through with this, we'll work out a trade for #14. . .

that would put us in pretty great shape for the draft-- we'd have plenty of mmo to move around, OR we could stick there and get two strong prospects. . . with another 1st in hand, i wouldn't mind reaching a little bit for dan williams. . . i'd try to trade back from the other 1st towards the latter part of the round, and target mike iupati, maurkice pouncey, golden tate or brandon spikes. . .

honestly, in a dream scenario i'd rather trade back from both picks and try to stockpile picks from 20 to around 45-50-- add terrance cody and brandon graham to the target list, and get whoever we can. . .

****, i gotta stop. . . .

roomemp
1) He wants to be here.

2) Champ Bailey said nothing about Marshall "had it coming". That's absurd. He's already stated there was no names dropped in that meeting, and the specualtion is it was a meeting based on Scheffler, not Marshall.

Again, character players are great and all, but at some point you need talent. Our lines are filled with "high character players", and our lines are garbage.

So you are saying all the Super Stars in the NFL are character risks?

Champ is a character risk....Oh.....so is Peyton Manning. Elway was one too.

WARHORSE

My thought is they will cut Deion Branch for sure.

CoachChaz
03-05-2010, 03:48 PM
My thought is they will cut Deion Branch for sure.

Yeah...but TJ makes 8 million and Brandon will get at least that. Without Branch, they will be spending a ton on 2 WR's that wont be able to get the ball

silkamilkamonico
03-05-2010, 03:49 PM
So you are saying all the Super Stars in the NFL are character risks?

Champ is a character risk....Oh.....so is Peyton Manning. Elway was one too.

Peyton Manning didn't shake hands with Drew Brees, so he immediately turns into a big issue in terms of character.

It's too bad we can't get a gu like Peyton or Elway again. Champ is good character, but dude's no longer a top 5 CB in the NFL. We long went and wasted his prime years trying to find our way to the playoffs, abnd failing miserably.

roomemp
03-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Peyton Manning didn't shake hands with Drew Brees, so he immediately turns into a big issue in terms of character.

It's too bad we can't get a gu like Peyton or Elway again. Champ is good character, but dude's no longer a top 5 CB in the NFL. We long went and wasted his prime years trying to find our way to the playoffs, abnd failing miserably.

3 seasons where we made it to the post season and an AFC championship game is failing miserably?????

Well lets just say I hope we "fail" next year

dogfish
03-05-2010, 03:53 PM
Yeah...but TJ makes 8 million and Brandon will get at least that. Without Branch, they will be spending a ton on 2 WR's that wont be able to get the ball

why does trading one pick for marshall preclude them from also improving their line?

that's hardly the only pick they have, and if they did send us #14 it's not even their highest pick. . . they could send us 14 for marshall, take clausen at #6 and get somebody like vlad ducasse in the 2nd to groom at OT. . . or, they could take bulaga or anthony davis at #6, go back for more OL or DL help in the 2nd and hope they can keep hasselback upright for another year or two-- he's been a productive starter for them when he has something to work with, and he's still about thirty years younger than brett favre. . . . :laugh:

Ravage!!!
03-05-2010, 03:53 PM
I tried deleting to save you the argument, but you lost all credibility with that post when you stated "let's be honest. he didn't want him here".

I'm sure putting a first round tender on you surely says "I just don't want you here", regardless of everything he's said positive about Marshall. I mean, it isn't like McDaniels comes out and tells blatant lies to everyone.

I think it does. I t hink that putting just the first round tender on him says "I'm ready to trade you away, and thus only putting th first round tender on you."

If you wanted to keep a player like Marshall, you put more than just the 1st. The honesty DOES ome from admitting that he doesn't want Marshall here.

Plus..his "positive" comments on Marshall, have only come recently... AFTER he lowered the value with his mess-up at the end of the year with his public, media bash, of Marshall.

As far as McD telling blatant lies... yes.... he does. Rmember the whole "I just picked up the phone" comment? He's just like Belicheck. He lies, and then tries to deal with the lies once the truth comes out. If you want to believe the "positive" things he's said to the media, great. More power to you. If you want to be gullible, thats your right. But don't tell me how MY credibility is lost when I don't simply buy into the BS.

Ziggy
03-05-2010, 03:55 PM

Yeah, not shaking hands at the end of a game is the same as having numerous arrests. Champ is still top 5. He's the only starting corner in the NFL that didn't give up a TD despite being matched against some of the top receivers in the game. C'mon Silk, take a deep breath and relax. Ooo-sah, ooo-sah.

Nomad
03-05-2010, 03:59 PM
#14th pick here we come!! I guess Dez Bryant will be a BRONCO at #11 afterall, hopefully he knows how to show up for practices and such!!

BTW, Allen's a rich SOB he can afford to pay 5 times what Marshall will ask

Ravage!!!
03-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Think Carroll wants a QB?

All that does is put pressure on him and Hassellbeck.

No new coach wants to start off with a rookie QB unless its Peyton.

Thats wrong. The Jets and Ryan, just went to the AFC Championship with a rookie QB that the new coach drafted. Smith, with the Falcons, drafted a rookie QB. Harbaugh with the Ravens, drafted Flacco. Schwartz with the Lions, just drafted Stafford.

All of these, as examples, are first time HCs that drafted QBs.

Your comment holds no fact to it.

roomemp
03-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Thats wrong. The Jets and Ryan, just went to the AFC Championship with a rookie QB that the new coach drafted. Smith, with the Falcons, drafted a rookie QB. Harbaugh with the Ravens, drafted Flacco. Schwartz with the Lions, just drafted Stafford.

All of these, as examples, are first time HCs that drafted QBs.

Your comment holds no fact to it.

It helps when you have the #1 Defense and #1 rushing attack

Poet
03-05-2010, 04:05 PM

I believe you can no longer do the poison pill. I THINK that the NFL changed the rules on that after the Hutchinson poison pill signing.

Ravage!!!
03-05-2010, 04:06 PM
This is said to be one of the best, deepest, drafts in a VERY VERY long time. 14 is pretty damned good.

I don't think you EVER get the right compensation for a Marshall-type of talent. No first round pick is ever a given, and a bird in the hand is MUCH MUCH better than 2 in the bush. No matter what pick we get for Marshall, the chances of them ever being a top 5 player at their position is probably not going to happen. We'll never get the quality of player that we have in Marshall. I feel that is almost an absolute given.

Ravage!!!
03-05-2010, 04:08 PM
It helps when you have the #1 Defense and #1 rushing attack

Thats not the point. You missed it completely. Atlanta didn't have that, Detroit didn't have that. Baltimore didn't have that.. .MANY teams didn't have that when the new coach came in and picked a QB with their pick, and started the season with a rookie.

Ravage!!!
03-05-2010, 04:09 PM
I believe you can no longer do the poison pill. I THINK that the NFL changed the rules on that after the Hutchinson poison pill signing.

I've been saying the same thing. I remember reading that the NFL made the poison pills against the rules. But it sure seems a lot of people talk about them. I think the NFL ruled that Minnesota found a nice lil 'pill' to add, but after that deal was done, the NFL closed that door.

Nomad
03-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Forgive me for not having the NFL IQ like some of you, but what is the 'poison pill' some of you are using as cliche's!!

CoachChaz
03-05-2010, 04:11 PM

There arent any rules agianst the poison pill. The NFL just "frowns" on it.

Ravage!!!
03-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Forgive me for not having the NFL IQ like some of you, but what is the 'poison pill' some of you are using as cliche's!!

The original poison pill came when the Vikings offered a Very good OL an offer sheet. The Seahawks had planned on matching any offer that was given to keep him there, but the Vikings added one tiny thing..... that he would be the HIGHEST paid OL on the team. THe Seahawks had Walter on their roster already, who is considered one of the all-time greats, and by far the best OL in the NFL. No way they were going to pay him more than Walter. The Vikings didn't have anyone on the roster that would earn more than him, so it was an easy promise. A promise that the Seahawks couldn't match.

Poet
03-05-2010, 04:16 PM
I've been saying the same thing. I remember reading that the NFL made the poison pills against the rules. But it sure seems a lot of people talk about them. I think the NFL ruled that Minnesota found a nice lil 'pill' to add, but after that deal was done, the NFL closed that door.

Yeah, the poison part of it was the "We will pay you 2 million dollars per game you play in Seattle," or something nutty like that.

rationalfan
03-05-2010, 04:17 PM
hmmmmm. i'm not as excited about these prospects as most of you are. drafting that high scares me. too many busts come of the top ten of the draft; and for what the team's paying that pick, a bust can cripple a team.

in some ways i prefer the team to hold on to marshall. to use an old saying, it's better to live with the devil you know than the devil you don't.

from another perspective, i can't fault marshall for wanting out. living with the idea that a local gang has you targeted for death has to be unnerving.

CoachChaz
03-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Actually, the pill in the Hutchinson deal was that his ENTIRE contract would be guaranteed if he wasnt the highest paid lineman on the team. With Jones already making more, Seattle would have had to guarantee every dime of the contract if they matched it.

Seattle then turned around and did the same thing to Minnesota by signing Burleson to an offer that stated if he played more than 5 games in the state of Minnesota the entire contract would be guaranteed.

Spiritguy
03-05-2010, 04:57 PM
All the talk about 6th pick vs 14 is interesting. point wise for Seattle to offer the 14th pick instead of 6th they would have to give up the equivalent of the 55 overall pick. (23rd pick of 2nd rd). Or a player etc.. Of course Denver would have to agree to the change for it to happen as I understand all this stuff.

nevcraw
03-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Let's all take minute to remember all of the years when the broncos had terrible Wr's.
Better get ready as history is about to repeat itself.

I just wonder what it would have been like if they just paid him.. I ****ing hate seeing game changing talent walking out the door for who knows what in return.

underrated29
03-05-2010, 05:16 PM
The OM is reporting that 850 koa is stating that the Jets are now in contention for marshall....

They were saying that because the jets are afc and sea would offer the 6th overall that they really have to up the ante on him......Just a rumor but it seems like maybe the bidding war has begun.

T.K.O.
03-05-2010, 05:18 PM
from another perspective, i can't fault marshall for wanting out. living with the idea that a local gang has you targeted for death has to be unnerving.

problem with that is there are affiliate gangs nation wide and if someone wants the "cred" for capping marshall...it wont matter if he is in seattle,atlanta,dallas or any other city for that matter.
lets just hope and pray that when clark goes down for his crimes the issue will go away!:salute:

weazel
03-05-2010, 05:30 PM
this would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a first and a third for a head case? BRING IT ON!!!!

Spiritguy
03-05-2010, 05:32 PM
All the talk about 6th pick vs 14 is interesting. point wise for Seattle to offer the 14th pick instead of 6th they would have to give up the equivalent of the 55 overall pick. (23rd pick of 2nd rd). Or a player etc.. Of course Denver would have to agree to the change for it to happen as I understand all this stuff.

As a follow up to that Seattles 2nd rounder is #8 (40th overall) (500 pts) the 23 pick (55 overall) is 350 points, or equivalent to the 88 overall pick (23rd 3rd round).

Would they be willing to give up that much and do the 14th and 40th? or try and do like a 3rd and 4th round with 14? The potential becomes greater for something like the 14th and 40th if the rumors are true of other teams possibly putting their hat(s) in the ring so to speak. I'm not sure what other teams could "offer" to beat them, or what player(s) Seattle may offer instead of 40? So may possibilities.

edit: Seattle doesn't have a 3rd this year. RD 3 #6 pick Philadelphia - from Seattle (5-11)

Ravage!!!
03-05-2010, 05:33 PM
this would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a first and a third for a head case? BRING IT ON!!!!

where did you get a 1st and 3rd?

weazel
03-05-2010, 05:45 PM
where did you get a 1st and 3rd?

it was on the first page. My understanding was that they would have to match the tendered offer which was a 1st and third.

I dont care if they get anything more than a 1st, get the ******* dirtbag out of Denver.

Spiritguy
03-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Brandon was tendered a 1st only. It was Doom that got a 1st and 3rd offer.

dogfish
03-05-2010, 05:50 PM
The OM is reporting that 850 koa is stating that the Jets are now in contention for marshall....

They were saying that because the jets are afc and sea would offer the 6th overall that they really have to up the ante on him......Just a rumor but it seems like maybe the bidding war has begun.

bidding war. . . sweeeeet. . . . :drool:

[/daydream]

not to be off-topic, but i actually think this has some relevance here. . . .

Ravens closing in on Boldin
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 5, 2010 5:41 PM ET

The NFL Network reports that the three-team race for Anquan Boldin is down to two: Kansas City and Baltimore. It could be down to one team soon enough.

SI's Peter King writes that the Ravens are close to making a deal for Boldin.

The Patriots, who were briefly mentioned as favorites earlier in the day, have reportedly dropped out of the bidding. It's possible they didn't like to be used as leverage in other negotiations.

Trade compensation was never going to be the tough part in acquiring Boldin. Coming up with a contract that would satisfy the seven-year veteran is far trickier.

It's beginning to look like Baltimore is going to do just that, adding a much-needed weapon to Joe Flacco's arsenal. We wonder if Derrick Mason would still fit in Baltimore.

the sooner somebody trades for him and takes him out of play, the better it is for us, at least in theory. . .

underrated29
03-05-2010, 05:55 PM
bidding war. . . sweeeeet. . . . :drool:

[/daydream]

not to be off-topic, but i actually think this has some relevance here. . . .

Ravens closing in on Boldin
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 5, 2010 5:41 PM ET

The NFL Network reports that the three-team race for Anquan Boldin is down to two: Kansas City and Baltimore. It could be down to one team soon enough.

SI's Peter King writes that the Ravens are close to making a deal for Boldin.

The Patriots, who were briefly mentioned as favorites earlier in the day, have reportedly dropped out of the bidding. It's possible they didn't like to be used as leverage in other negotiations.

Trade compensation was never going to be the tough part in acquiring Boldin. Coming up with a contract that would satisfy the seven-year veteran is far trickier.

It's beginning to look like Baltimore is going to do just that, adding a much-needed weapon to Joe Flacco's arsenal. We wonder if Derrick Mason would still fit in Baltimore.

the sooner somebody trades for him and takes him out of play, the better it is for us, at least in theory. . .

ick. I do not want him here in the afcw with the chefs... Bowe and boldin--thats nasty!

Come on Dirty Birds. I predicted you would land him, dont let me down now.

Dean
03-05-2010, 05:59 PM
I would think that the more teams in contention to sign him the better for us.

weazel
03-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Brandon was tendered a 1st only. It was Doom that got a 1st and 3rd offer.

crap, my mistake... I knew someone was.

Ravage!!!
03-05-2010, 06:01 PM

Here's an article that was just written, talking about poison pills and there use, or rather, the lack of use.

I was wrong. I thought I had read that the use of poison pills was forbidden after the Vikings...but perhaps that was in between when it was used and when the arbitrator ruled on it.

eithe way.. here it is. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ross_tucker/03/03/tender/index.html

dogfish
03-05-2010, 06:05 PM
crap, my mistake... I knew someone was.

damn canadians never pay attention to details. . . :tsk:

dogfish
03-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Here's an article that was just written, talking about poison pills and there use, or rather, the lack of use.

I was wrong. I thought I had read that the use of poison pills was forbidden after the Vikings...but perhaps that was in between when it was used and when the arbitrator ruled on it.

eithe way.. here it is. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ross_tucker/03/03/tender/index.html

i know. . . but way to admit it!

:D

Tom Nalen
03-05-2010, 06:09 PM
I think people tend to forget the "free" part of free agent. Just because Seattle wants him does not mean Brandon wants to go to Seattle. Seattle does not have a QB that can stay healthy. Do you really think Brandon wants to a team with no set Quarterback?

UnderArmour
03-05-2010, 06:11 PM
I think people tend to forget the "free" part of free agent. Just because Seattle wants him does not mean Brandon wants to go to Seattle. Seattle does not have a QB that can stay healthy. Do you really think Brandon wants to a team with no set Quarterback?

Brandon wants to get paid. Do you really think he cares?

Traveler
Eh! I'll wait till there is an actual signed contract before getting caught up in this proposed trade with Seattle, jets or whomever.

weazel
damn canadians never pay attention to details. . . :tsk:

well it should have been written with an "eh" at the end. I would have understood it a lot better!

Dean
03-05-2010, 06:20 PM
well it should have been written with an "eh" at the end. I would have understood it a lot better!

It's aboot time you Canucks admitted it, eh!

rationalfan
03-05-2010, 06:41 PM
problem with that is there are affiliate gangs nation wide and if someone wants the "cred" for capping marshall...it wont matter if he is in seattle,atlanta,dallas or any other city for that matter.
lets just hope and pray that when clark goes down for his crimes the issue will go away!:salute:

i'm not convinced the gang members actually have him as a priority target - i really don't know one way or the other. but my point is that living with the idea that at any time some dudes in denver could drive up and shoot you is hellish, whether it's a true threat or not.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Are you guys ready for this? Seattle will offer their 2nd round pick, a late rounder (5th or 6th), and Deion Branch and Josh McDaniels will pull the trigger.

He and Deion are boys and the Seahawks will have no use for him if Brandon comes to town. Don't hold your breath on getting #6. The BEST we'll see will be #14, but I think they'll dangle Branch and Josh will be so eager to get another of "his guys" that he'll make the trade.

Deion Branch will be a Bronco by tomorrow night...

Oh BTW, Boldin is a Raven now. They won't be after Marshall.

UnderArmour
03-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Are you guys ready for this? Seattle will offer their 2nd round pick, a late rounder (5th or 6th), and Deion Branch and Josh McDaniels will pull the trigger.

He and Deion are boys and the Seahawks will have no use for him if Brandon comes to town. Don't hold your breath on getting #6. The BEST we'll see will be #14, but I think they'll dangle Branch and Josh will be so eager to get another of "his guys" that he'll make the trade.

Deion Branch will be a Bronco by tomorrow night...

Oh BTW, Boldin is a Raven now. They won't be after Marshall.

If Seattle negotiates a contract with Marshall and he signs it, we get their #6 pick. There is no trading involved if Marshall takes somebody's offer sheet, we either match or don't match.

Northman
03-05-2010, 10:05 PM
If Seattle negotiates a contract with Marshall and he signs it, we get their #6 pick. There is no trading involved if Marshall takes somebody's offer sheet, we either match or don't match.

Yea, its my understanding that if Brandon signs Denver gets the #6 pick. However, Seattle can try to work out a different deal using their #14 and any later picks, players, etc. At least that is how i understand it but Denver would have to want that. If Denver stands firm Seattle would have to give up the #6 which is Seattle's actual pick.

T.K.O.
03-05-2010, 10:10 PM
i'm getting drunk and will take a 12 pack and a #14 for brandon....if they throw in branch .....all the better:drinking:

Broncolingus
03-05-2010, 10:56 PM
I'd take a 6 (and 6-pack) for Marshall...and more?

Ravage!!!
03-05-2010, 11:05 PM

Seattle knows this as well... thus they won't offer the contract with Marshall. They will work out a trade directly with the Broncos... so they don't have to give up the 6.

We will NOT get the 6th pick for Marshall, and I'll be shocked if we get the 14th

Denver Native (Carol)
03-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Seattle knows this as well... thus they won't offer the contract with Marshall. They will work out a trade directly with the Broncos... so they don't have to give up the 6.

We will NOT get the 6th pick for Marshall, and I'll be shocked if we get the 14th

Explain this, as I don't know - I thought the whole purpose behind a team tendering a player was to put a value on that player, and during this FA period, if a team wants that player, they agree to the terms of the tender. How then can the tender be thrown out, and a trade instead be agreed upon?

jlarsiii
03-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Explain this, as I don't know - I thought the whole purpose behind a team tendering a player was to put a value on that player, and during this FA period, if a team wants that player, they agree to the terms of the tender. How then can the tender be thrown out, and a trade instead be agreed upon?

I think it is as simple as a sign and trade. Brandon signs his tender, then we trade him to Seattle for whatever they offer in return.

Buff
03-05-2010, 11:30 PM

Tendering a player is basically just a contract offer that serves as an announcement to the rest of the league saying "Our intention is to sign the player at 'X' salary, and if you want to sign him you will have to give us first right of refusal prior to April 15th and/or you have to provide 'X' compensation in return for us not matching the contract."

But, because it's not a signed deal, the Broncos still have time to negotiate a trade or different contract terms because technically there is not signed contract... Just a contract offer.

silkamilkamonico
03-05-2010, 11:34 PM

Apparently McDaniels doesn't want Marshall here, and will likely take the least offered value he can for him.

Also, if Seattle wasn't intending to sign Marshall to any offer sheet, and was looking to workout a trade for him with Denver, they would not be courting him in Seattle which he is failing to understand significantly.

dogfish
03-05-2010, 11:39 PM

a tender is a one-year contract for a restricted free agent, which specifies both the one-year salary the player will receive, and the compensation (1st round tender, in marshall's case) that will be given to the club if another club signs that restricted free agent to a long-term contract offer. . .

however, once the player signs the tender, his rights now belong to the broncos just like those of any other player on the roster, and we can agree to trade them for whatever compensation we want. . .

so, instead of signing him to an offer sheet, the seachickens can wait until he signs his tender with us, and then negotiate with us on a trade. . .

JDL
03-06-2010, 12:04 AM
on ESPN from Adam S, they are seriously thinking about giving him an offer. By rule we would get the 6th overall pick!!!!!!!!!!!

They'll work out a deal with Denver for less than the 6th... they are not giving up the 6th pick for him... sorry try again. Denver wants him gone ... Seattle wants him... it's a possibility..still believe Indy is a strong dark horse.

Ravage!!!
03-06-2010, 12:06 AM
They'll work out a deal with Denver for less than the 6th... they are not giving up the 6th pick for him... sorry try again. Denver wants him gone ... Seattle wants him... it's a possibility..still believe Indy is a strong dark horse.

Really? thats interesting.

Why would they be when they have Wayne, Garcon, Collie, and the one that was hurt this year?

UnderArmour
03-06-2010, 12:19 AM
Really? thats interesting.

Why would they be when they have Wayne, Garcon, Collie, and the one that was hurt this year?

Marshall tore them up badly when we played and Wayne is not a game changing WR. He was a complete non factor in the Super Bowl. But still, the Colts will not pay Marshall the way the Seahawks will so there is very slim chance Marshall would sign off on a deal from them.

DenBronx
03-06-2010, 12:41 AM

I think Seattle doesnt want to spend the money to sign pick #6. Pick 14 would cost them much less in gauranteed money and there might not be anyone of interest to them in the top ten that they feel worthy of that kind of money.

Also, why not just stay at 6 and 11?? Dez Bryant makes sense at 11 and maybe one of the top QB's slide to 6. That would be fantastic for the team to have two young wr's a young rb and a young qb.

DenBronx
03-06-2010, 12:43 AM

Washington is rumored to want him. That would be 4th overall pick so I think in Seattles mind they are willing to jump right in and make this move for "their guy" Bates wants him and Marshall is already in Seattle dude. Why is it so hard to believe?

Ravage!!!
03-06-2010, 12:49 AM
No way washington gives them the 4th pick in the draft. NO WAY Seattle gives us the 6th pick in the draft.

The only people that have rumored that Washington is interested in Marshall, are those that think Shanahan is going after every Bronco.

Ravage!!!
03-06-2010, 12:53 AM
Marshall tore them up badly when we played and Wayne is not a game changing WR. He was a complete non factor in the Super Bowl. But still, the Colts will not pay Marshall the way the Seahawks will so there is very slim chance Marshall would sign off on a deal from them.

Teams don't go after every player that 'tore them up.'

But Wayne is very very good... and teamed up with Gargon, collie, Clark, and the young 1st round WR that was injured this season. You can say he was a 'non-factor'...but thats not true. If teams have to account for you (which they do with Wayne).. you are a factor.

I just don't think the Colts are, in any way, interested in Marshall since they are pretty loaded at WRs.

DenBronx
03-06-2010, 01:12 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/teams-should-gladly-give-up-first-round-picks-for-proven-wideouts/

Peter Warrick. Travis Taylor. Sylvester Morris. R. Jay Soward.

David Terrell. Koren Robinson. Rod Gardner. Freddie Mitchell.

Donte' Stallworth. Ashley Lelie. Javon Walker.

Charles Rogers. Bryant Johnson.

Reggie Williams. Michael Clayton. Michael Jenkins. Rashaun Woods.

Troy Williamson. Mike Williams. Matt Jones.

Ted Ginn. Dwayne Bowe. Robert Meachem. Craig Davis.

Darrius Heyward-Bey.

The names become a blur of mediocrity and unfulfilled potential. Each are receivers who were first-round picks in the past 10 drafts. None ever performed like Brandon Marshall, Miles Austin, and Vincent Jackson.

We mention those three because any one of these restricted free agents can be had via a first-round pick (and, for Austin and Jackson, a third-round pick, too). The same first-round picks that over the past decade have become players like Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, and Reggie Williams.

So why not view Marshall, Austin, or Jackson as a player who was obtained via a first-round pick? That's what the Vikings did two years ago when acquiring defensive end Jared Allen from the Chiefs, and the Vikings presumably have no regrets.

It's therefore no surprise that the Seahawks are bringing in Marshall on Saturday, and we wonder how long it will be before Austin and Jackson are courted by other teams that need pass-catches.

The logic applies to all positions. Why take a chance on a rookie who might never become anything other than a guy who once was a great college football player? If the goal is to use the draft pick to get a good player, it makes more sense to use the draft pick on a player that we already know will be good.

The argument gets stronger for teams picking lower in a given round. If Colts president Bill Polian thinks his offensive line needs an upgrade, he should present an offer sheet to Chargers left tackle Marcus McNeill. Polian would get a quality linemen in exchange for the 31st and 93rd picks in the annual NFL crapshoot.

Throw in the poison pill, which if done properly makes it impossible (or, more accurately, ridiculously expensive in terms of guaranteed money) for the current team to match the deal.

Before citing the reality that this year's crop of rookies is deeper and more talented than in past seasons, there still will be plenty of busts. And no one knows who'll they'll be.

Given that reality, the safest move is to use those picks on guys who have already shown that they are capable of making the transition to the highest level of the game.

Especially in an offseason with a depleted crop of unrestricted free agents.

UnderArmour
03-06-2010, 01:22 AM
Teams don't go after every player that 'tore them up.'

But Wayne is very very good... and teamed up with Gargon, collie, Clark, and the young 1st round WR that was injured this season. You can say he was a 'non-factor'...but thats not true. If teams have to account for you (which they do with Wayne).. you are a factor.

I just don't think the Colts are, in any way, interested in Marshall since they are pretty loaded at WRs.
REC YDS AVG TD LG TGTS
R. Wayne 5 46 9.2 0 14 11

In the Super Bowl? He was a non factor. He was being single covered on most plays. Reggie Wayne isn't this elite #1 WR people give him credit for, Peyton Manning greatly pads his stats. Also, Marshall didn't just tear them up, he set a new NFL record for receptions in a game. While teams don't go after every player that 'tore them up,' having seen first hand what a player has done adds value.

Surely you don't think Josh McDaniels signing Andre Goodman and Renaldo Hill had nothing to do with past experience playing against them? Belichick signing Wes Welker and Sammy Morris from Miami? Rumors Shanahan was eying Darren Sproles? The Bears signing Chester Taylor? The Vikings signing Brett Favre? Ron Marinelli and Julius Peppers? The list goes on. There is a trend. Just because A doesn't happen all of the time doesn't mean that A happens rarely.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-06-2010, 10:01 AM

The tender is essentially just a 1 year contract offer from the Broncos.

The first round tender is there to protect the Broncos from being unable to match Marshall's offered contract from the other team. If Seattle throws a huge contract at Marshall and we don't match, if nothing else happens, they owe us a first round pick.

Understand that the Broncos can accept ANYTHING THEY WANT as compensation for that pick, be it lower picks and players or whatever. It doesn't have to be just the #6 overall pick. If Seattle offers our #14 back and we accept, done deal. If they offer a lower pick and a player or two and we accept, done deal.

IMO, Seattle WILL NOT offer a contract to Marshall in this case until they've already reached an agreement with the Broncos for the compensation (something other than the #6 overall pick).

Look out for their second rounder and Deion Branch... I can just feel it.

Nomad
03-06-2010, 10:10 AM

Reading around some Seattle blogs and reading what Seahawks fans are saying, they seem to believe this is what Mcdaniels is going to bite on. They are also under the assumption McD wants to wash his hands off Marshall in the fastest way

This would be a win for Seattle! More than likely get their OT or QB with #6 and more than likely Spiller with #14 (at least this is the wishes of Seattle fans).

Mike
03-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Reading around some Seattle blogs and reading what Seahawks fans are saying, they seem to believe this is what Mcdaniels is going to bite on. They are also under the assumption McD wants to wash his hands off Marshall in the fastest way

This would be a win for Seattle! More than likely get their OT or QB with #6 and more than likely Spiller with #14 (at least this is the wishes of Seattle fans).

Shefter was on 850 KOA and he confirmed that it was for the #6 pick. I will take his word over blowhards on the internet any day.

Nomad
03-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Shefter was on 850 KOA and he confirmed that it was for the #6 pick. I will take his word over blowhards on the internet any day.

I know it's just fans talking, same as here nothing to it but I'll believe it when I see it. No way Seattle gives up their #6 for Marshall, I'd be shocked!!

Mike
03-06-2010, 10:26 AM
I know it's just fans talking, same as here nothing to it but I'll believe it when I see it. No way Seattle gives up their #6 for Marshall, I'd be shocked!!

Fans can talk all they want. But it in no way has any bearing on reality. Fans usually know jack shit, but we all talk like we know what is going on or what is going to happen. Speculation is fine, but when the top NFL reporter reports something then I take him at face value. Maybe he is wrong, maybe not...but that changes nothing on what we fans really know about the situation.

Don't take this as a shot at you, Nomad. I am just cranky this morning. ;)

Mike
03-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Interesting tidbits in this article from Klis at the Post.

Broncos WR Marshalll to talk contract with Seahawks today

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

Posted: 03/06/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

In Seattle, where Brandon Marshall may soon be playing, he would have old friends and no more enemies.

In Denver, Marshall could leave behind the bittersweet start to his NFL career. The star receiver can move beyond his run-ins with coaches and girlfriends and nightclub thugs. He can wipe away his two suspensions in two years and numerous courtroom appearances in three years, most recently as a star witness in the murder trial of former teammate Darrent Williams.

Marshall can hang on to those three consecutive 100-catch seasons and numerous awe-inspiring plays if he wishes. But if all goes well during his visit today as a restricted free agent in the faraway, oft-drizzly city of Seattle, the most talented, and troubled, receiver in Broncos history will become a handsomely paid Seahawk.

That groan you heard was electronically delivered from the checking account of Harvey Steinberg, Marshall's Denver-based attorney.

As Marshall leaves Denver today for an opportunity elsewhere, the Broncos made a series of practical moves to solidify the middle of their fronts Friday. The team agreed in principle on a five-year contract with former University of Colorado and Baltimore Ravens defensive lineman Justin Bannan, who becomes the Broncos' new starting nose tackle.

"He's excited about it," said Tom Mills, Bannan's Boulder-based agent. "He played college here and really enjoyed his visit with the team (Friday)."

"Justin will fit into our scheme very well," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said in a statement.

And the Broncos were also close to signing former Miami and Cleveland center Rex Hadnot.

That's 630 combined pounds at the middle positions of the line of scrimmage.

The Broncos also strengthened their lone weak spot in their secondary when they signed former Miami Dolphins nickel back Nathan Jones.

"He makes plays on defense and has been a core contributor on special teams," Broncos general manager Brian Xanders said.

Yet, as often happened since the Broncos drafted Marshall four years ago, the team's positive developments were overshadowed by the somber circumstance surrounding the gifted playmaker.

For myriad reasons, Marshall would like to move on. His last three seasons have been both highly productive and disruptive. He held out from the team's offseason workouts last season and issued a trade request.

This time, the Broncos may be getting close to accommodating Marshall's desire to leave. First, the team slapped a fairly inviting, first-round tender on Marshall, who officially became a restricted free agent Thursday.

That means for a team to sign away Marshall, it would have to surrender a first-round draft pick to the Broncos — unless the two sides agree on alternative compensation.

The Seahawks not only have the financial wherewithal to submit an attractive contract proposal to induce Marshall into signing an offer sheet, they have two first-round draft picks — No. 6 and 14 overall.

Seattle's No. 14 pick was acquired from the Broncos during the 2009 draft in a deal that enabled Denver to move up and select defensive back Alphonso Smith early in the second round.

Although at least one other team has expressed serious interest in Marshall, Seattle would is a logical fit in part because former Broncos play-caller Jeremy Bates and former receivers coach Jedd Fisch are now with the Seahawks. Marshall was a big fan of both coaches in 2008 when he had 104 catches in 15 games.

The Broncos did offer Marshall a multiyear contract last summer worth approximately $9.5 million a season, according to two NFL sources.

Marshall rejected the proposal because the contract structure had relatively little money upfront, and also because the receiver preferred to play elsewhere.

Seattle may be where.

Nomad
03-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Fans can talk all they want. But it in no way has any bearing on reality. Fans usually know jack shit, but we all talk like we know what is going on or what is going to happen. Speculation is fine, but when the top NFL reporter reports something then I take him at face value. Maybe he is wrong, maybe not...but that changes nothing on what we fans really know about the situation.

Don't take this as a shot at you, Nomad. I am just cranky this morning. ;)

None taken, my NFL IQ is no match for Schefter:D! If Seattle would give up their #6, then Clausen here we come.....bummer because he's Cutler 2.0 as far as attitude and arrogance and skill wise I believe will not become what he is hyped up to be!! Oh well we'll see!

Mike
03-06-2010, 10:35 AM
None taken, my NFL IQ is no match for Schefter:D! If Seattle would give up their #6, then Clausen here we come.....bummer because he's Cutler 2.0 as far as attitude and arrogance and skill wise I believe will not become what he is hyped up to be!! Oh well we'll see!

I will be pissed if we take Clausen. Waste of a pick.

Traveler
03-06-2010, 10:43 AM
I will be pissed if we take Clausen. Waste of a pick.

I agree, but let see if we get the pick first.

tsiguy96
03-06-2010, 11:08 AM
I agree, but let see if we get the pick first.

clausen might be overrated in media ala brady quinn. a lot of scouts dont have him even as a 1st round pick according to the twitter scout guy.

Ravage!!!
03-06-2010, 11:26 AM
REC YDS AVG TD LG TGTS
R. Wayne 5 46 9.2 0 14 11

In the Super Bowl? He was a non factor. He was being single covered on most plays. Reggie Wayne isn't this elite #1 WR people give him credit for, Peyton Manning greatly pads his stats. Also, Marshall didn't just tear them up, he set a new NFL record for receptions in a game. While teams don't go after every player that 'tore them up,' having seen first hand what a player has done adds value.

Again...you aren't making points. 1) I dont' think you really know how much he was being single covered 2) Being single covered has more to do with the fact that they had Gargon, Collie, and Clark on the field as well. You just made my point for me. 3) Saying Wayn's stats are 'greatly padded' by Manning is ridiculous. I guess Rice was greatly padded by having both Montana and Young. If Wayne wasn't one of the tops in the league at getting open, he wouldn't be in the top 4 at most receptions over the last four years. The guy gets open, the guy runs great routes, the guy catches the ball, and the guy scores. Give credit to whomever you want to. But if thats the case, thats just another reason why Indy woudlnt' be intersted in Marshall. Why would the Colts need a dominant WR if Manning can "greatly pad" any WRs numbers? Receptions are receptions, right?

Just because Marshall set the record doesn't mean anything. They don't need him. They have a LOT of WRs on the team, and it would be foolish to spend a 1st round pick on a WR considering the drafted guys they have. Marshall caught a TON of balls against a lot of teams, doesn't mean they are in the contention for going after him based on that. I can watch film/tape of him and see that he's dominant. I don't need to have him catch a ton of balls against me to know that.

Surely you don't think Josh McDaniels signing Andre Goodman and Renaldo Hill had nothing to do with past experience playing against them? Belichick signing Wes Welker and Sammy Morris from Miami? Rumors Shanahan was eying Darren Sproles? The Bears signing Chester Taylor? The Vikings signing Brett Favre? Ron Marinelli and Julius Peppers? The list goes on. There is a trend. Just because A doesn't happen all of the time doesn't mean that A happens rarely.

You have listed a bunch of teams that have signed players from division rivals. Not to mention coaches that have coached players they hired, and rumors that have no clout. Either way, what does that have to do with you believing Indianapolis is interested in Marshall? We don't play Indy every year, and Indy wouldn't be stealing a division rival's player. You are taking a coincidence in the league,and turning it into something else.

But hey... if you think that would be a determining factor... thats your right.

**that being said, if the Colts do become a dark-horse in the running, I'll be the first to come to you and say I was wrong and you were right**

HORSEPOWER 56
03-06-2010, 11:30 AM

Have you not been reading, Mike? Yes, if the Broncos DO NOTHING and the Seahawks just sign Marshall to an offer sheet, then the Seahawks must give up #6.

IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN LIKE THAT. The Seahawks will propose a counter offer to the Broncos for different compensation prior to signing Marshall to an offer. In other words, it will work like a trade and not just a "sign for a Draft pick" RFA tender.

The Seahawks aren't dumb enough to give up #6 overall for Marshall and I guarantee you we'll take less. If they offer our #14 back but not the #6, we'll take it. Remember, we could do much worse. The Ravens could've inked Marshall and we'd have gotten their pick in the 20s. Another team with a late first can also try. If we have the #14 in hand or their #40 high second and a player we want, I guarantee we'll take it over just a late round first (like the Jets, Ravens, Colts, etc could offer).

Sparky The Sun Devil
03-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Have you not been reading, Mike? Yes, if the Broncos DO NOTHING and the Seahawks just sign Marshall to an offer sheet, then the Seahawks must give up #6.

IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN LIKE THAT. The Seahawks will propose a counter offer to the Broncos for different compensation prior to signing Marshall to an offer. In other words, it will work like a trade and not just a "sign for a Draft pick" RFA tender.

The Seahawks aren't dumb enough to give up #6 overall for Marshall and I guarantee you we'll take less. If they offer our #14 back but not the #6, we'll take it. Remember, we could do much worse. The Ravens could've inked Marshall and we'd have gotten their pick in the 20s. Another team with a late first can also try. If we have the #14 in hand or their #40 high second and a player we want, I guarantee we'll take it over just a late round first (like the Jets, Ravens, Colts, etc could offer).

maybe the seahawks dont want to give out 2 monster contracts, and they are willing to part ways with #6, or maybe they dont think any players worth that contract will be left at #6.

Why is every one assuming denver wont hold out and reject the 14 pick knowing SEA really wants marshall? We can turn down there trade offer, and wait and see if they budge

Northman
03-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Yea, i dont think its a forgone conclusion that Seattle will keep the 6th pick. Marshall is an established wideout and very worthy of the 6th overall. So while it may come down to something different i wouldnt totally write off that pick.

Ravage!!!
03-06-2010, 01:00 PM
The reason I would think they hold onto it, is that if they dont' want to use the 6th pick, they can trade down for more picks. Doesn't make sense to give it up...but its true, they might. I would be shocked. To me that oesn't make much sense because everyone knows that McD doesn't want Marshall here. If the 14th is the best pick offered, it would be hard for Denver to not accept it. I'm still not convinced that we get a 1st at all, at the end.

Northman
03-06-2010, 01:05 PM
The reason I would think they hold onto it, is that if they dont' want to use the 6th pick, they can trade down for more picks. Doesn't make sense to give it up...but its true, they might. I would be shocked. To me that oesn't make much sense because everyone knows that McD doesn't want Marshall here. If the 14th is the best pick offered, it would be hard for Denver to not accept it. I'm still not convinced that we get a 1st at all, at the end.

I dont think Denver would decline the 14th either but from i understand of the tender it does have to do with Seattle's actual pick with is the 6th. But your right, with Bmore taking on Boldin the leverage that Denver has is kind of gone. My guess is if Seattle keeps the 6th Denver will escape with probably their 14th and either another pick or a player.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-06-2010, 01:10 PM
maybe the seahawks dont want to give out 2 monster contracts, and they are willing to part ways with #6, or maybe they dont think any players worth that contract will be left at #6.

Why is every one assuming denver wont hold out and reject the 14 pick knowing SEA really wants marshall? We can turn down there trade offer, and wait and see if they budge

The reason i think Denver won't hold out is because I'm more inclined to believe that McDaniels would rather have Marshall gone than still on the team. Playing hardball with other teams isn't going to get Marshall out of town. He isn't Jay Cutler. He has one more year in Denver if he stays then he's gone for nothing. McDaniels would like to kill two birds that fell magically into his lap at the same time with one trade(Marshall should've been a UFA this year and gone for nothing). He can get compensation for Marshall and get him off the roster and out of the locker room at the same time.

Why wouldn't he pull the trigger on an offer for the #14 pick or a second rounder and a player? If he plays hardball with Seattle, they can look elsewhere and go after Vincent Jackson or Miles Austin. I can guarantee that AJ Smith will take the #14 off of Seattle in a heartbeat for VJ without having to throw in the 3rd rounder.

Remember, Denver could easily be offered a late 1st for Marshall by another team like the Jets or Colts. Frankly, I don't think anyone is going to get into a bidding war over Marshall. Now, with the Ravens out of the market, we need to take what we can get for him. I'd rather have some compensation than none at all.

Northman
03-06-2010, 01:30 PM
The reason i think Denver won't hold out is because I'm more inclined to believe that McDaniels would rather have Marshall gone than still on the team. Playing hardball with other teams isn't going to get Marshall out of town. He isn't Jay Cutler. He has one more year in Denver if he stays then he's gone for nothing. McDaniels would like to kill two birds that fell magically into his lap at the same time with one trade(Marshall should've been a UFA this year and gone for nothing). He can get compensation for Marshall and get him off the roster and out of the locker room at the same time.

Why wouldn't he pull the trigger on an offer for the #14 pick or a second rounder and a player? If he plays hardball with Seattle, they can look elsewhere and go after Vincent Jackson or Miles Austin. I can guarantee that AJ Smith will take the #14 off of Seattle in a heartbeat for VJ without having to throw in the 3rd rounder.

Remember, Denver could easily be offered a late 1st for Marshall by another team like the Jets or Colts. Frankly, I don't think anyone is going to get into a bidding war over Marshall. Now, with the Ravens out of the market, we need to take what we can get for him. I'd rather have some compensation than none at all.

You make some good points except i dont think Denver lets Brandon go for less than a 1st from anybody. He's just too valuable as a player to let go for peanuts. If McD really wanted him gone that bad he would just cut the guy and be done with it. But he know's he is a valuable commodity so i just dont see him settling for anything less than a #1 pick no matter who it is. Furthermore, its been stated from organization that if they cant unload Marshall they will just use him this year to play.

Ravage!!!
03-06-2010, 01:32 PM

Well put and I completely agree. We may not walk away with a 1st round pick in compensation. Until there are more tire-kickers, there is no reason for Seattle to be in a hurry to offer up anything big.

Ravage!!!
03-06-2010, 01:38 PM
You make some good points except i dont think Denver lets Brandon go for less than a 1st from anybody. He's just too valuable as a player to let go for peanuts. If McD really wanted him gone that bad he would just cut the guy and be done with it. But he know's he is a valuable commodity so i just dont see him settling for anything less than a #1 pick no matter who it is. Furthermore, its been stated from organization that if they cant unload Marshall they will just use him this year to play.

Cutting him gets you nothing.....other than a TON of media/press/fans and OWNER on your ass.

McD has to get something. Putting the tender on him is at least attempting to get the most for him. If all we get is a 2nd, then McD simply can say "thats the best we were offered, and we thought it best to let Marshall explore other avenues so that we may continue building with players that fit our 'philosophies'.. " Or something along those lines. The media benching is doing EXACTLY what we were afraid of when it happened. It lowered the value, because everyone knows Marshall isn't going to stay in Denver.

I don't think McD simply keeps him for another season. Marshall stated at the beginning of last season he wants out. He put on his web-page a goodbye to the fans. They don't get along, and I honestly believe there is no way McD wants to coach a guy that has publicly shown he won't bow.

Nomad
03-06-2010, 01:43 PM
I hope there is at least an offer today from the Rainy City, but according to Schefter he doesn't think there will be one!!

Slick
03-06-2010, 01:44 PM
I'd be extremely disappointed if we didn't get at least a 1st rounder for Marshall, be it the 6th, 14th or a lower first round pick from a new bidder. If we lucked out at got the 6th, I doubt we'd keep both it and the 11th. Bowlen is not nearly as rich as most other NFL owners.

It is sad that it has come to this. We have so many areas of need, and adding WR to that list gives us a little more flexibility on draft day, however it's just one more hole to try and fill.

MileHighCrew
03-06-2010, 01:45 PM
The Seahawks are not expected to tender an offer sheet to restricted free agent Brandon Marshall during his Saturday visit.
ESPN's Adam Schefter labels the visit a "get-to-know-each other" session as opposed to a full-court press to get Marshall to sign. The process is not expected to happen quickly, and the teams could engage in trade talks in lieu of Seattle surrendering the No. 6 overall pick. - ROTOWORLD

Northman
03-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Cutting him gets you nothing.....other than a TON of media/press/fans and OWNER on your ass.

Exactly. Which is why it wont happen

McD has to get something. Putting the tender on him is at least attempting to get the most for him. If all we get is a 2nd, then McD simply can say "thats the best we were offered, and we thought it best to let Marshall explore other avenues so that we may continue building with players that fit our 'philosophies'.. " Or something along those lines. The media benching is doing EXACTLY what we were afraid of when it happened. It lowered the value, because everyone knows Marshall isn't going to stay in Denver.

Nah, this isnt about the benching dude. Yes, the league knows that Brandon has attitude problems and other various attitude problems. Like i said in my last post, the talk is if Denver cant unload Brandon they will just keep him to fulfill his contract. So this tells me they simply wont let him walk for peanuts and frankly, do we really want to become the next Dan Snyder when it comes to getting ass-raped in trades?

I don't think McD simply keeps him for another season. Marshall stated at the beginning of last season he wants out. He put on his web-page a goodbye to the fans. They don't get along, and I honestly believe there is no way McD wants to coach a guy that has publicly shown he won't bow.

Both these guys have said a lot of things and then turned around and done something different. Denver just simply cant let him walk for nothing as its just not good business. Although im sure that if McD lets Brandon walk for next to nothing it will just add more fuel to the fire about how much he sucks as as HC. Frankly, i would like to skip all that and get what Brandon is worth so hopefully like Wash Denver can find a suitor who is willing to give up their #1 pick.

Northman
03-06-2010, 01:46 PM
I'd be extremely disappointed if we didn't get at least a 1st rounder for Marshall, be it the 6th, 14th or a lower first round pick from a new bidder. If we lucked out at got the 6th, I doubt we'd keep both it and the 11th. Bowlen is not nearly as rich as most other NFL owners.

It is sad that it has come to this. We have so many areas of need, and adding WR to that list gives us a little more flexibility on draft day, however it's just one more hole to try and fill.

Same here.

Nomad
03-06-2010, 01:48 PM
The Seahawks are not expected to tender an offer sheet to restricted free agent Brandon Marshall during his Saturday visit.
ESPN's Adam Schefter labels the visit a "get-to-know-each other" session as opposed to a full-court press to get Marshall to sign. The process is not expected to happen quickly, and the teams could engage in trade talks in lieu of Seattle surrendering the No. 6 overall pick. - ROTOWORLD

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4971561

HORSEPOWER 56
03-06-2010, 02:02 PM

Yep, about what I was expecting. If Seattle wants Marshall, they'll go through the Denver FO knowing that McDaniels will give him up for less than the #6 overall.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2010, 02:14 PM
The "get-to-know-each other" scenario is some what confusing. If this was a normal thing, why would the "get-to-know-each other" visit not take place regardless who the player is - regardless where the player is visiting? Also, Seattle definitely has to know more about Brandon, than many teams know about a player visiting them - i.e. Bates - OC with Broncos, Fitch - WR coach with Broncos.

On the video, Schefter also stated", if Brandon signs an offer sheet, Seattle gives up the #6 pick, OR a separate trade settlement could be done - that is something they would have to discuss - "BUT NO INDICATION EITHER SIDE IS WILLING TO DO THAT".

titan
03-06-2010, 02:16 PM
From Adam Shefter:

SEATTLE -- Despite a potentially huge price to acquire his services, the Seattle Seahawks are going to take their shot at impressing Denver wide receiver Brandon Marshall.

The star Broncos receiver, and restricted free agent, will visit with the Seahawks on Saturday, a team spokesman said on Friday night. ESPN.com first reported Marshall's visit.

The cost to get Marshall out of Denver could be significant. Denver slapped a first-round tender on Marshall earlier this week, meaning Seattle would have to surrender the No. 6 pick in April's draft as compensation to the Broncos if the two teams cannot work out a trade.

The reward for Seattle could be the big play receiver the Seahawks need even if he comes with past problems. Marshall has caught more than 100 passes in three straight seasons.

However, Marshall is not expected to sign an offer sheet Saturday with Seattle, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The visit is not meant as an immediate step toward a signing; rather it's a get-to-know-each other visit in a process that is not expected to be quick.

Marshall, who began and ended last season in coach Josh McDaniels' dog house but in between caught 101 passes and 10 touchdowns, received a first-round qualifying offer from the Broncos on Wednesday -- which would make it easier to facilitate a trade.

Marshall, who turns 26 this month, would get a 14.7 percent raise next season to $2.521 million if he's still in Denver.

The source of his discontent last summer was twofold: he was angry with the team's medical staff for misdiagnosing a hip injury that required surgery, and he wasn't happy with his contract.

A fourth-round draft pick in 2006, Marshall said he should be compensated like other elite wide receivers.

He set an NFL record by catching 21 passes for 200 yards and two touchdowns in a loss to Indianapolis, but just a few weeks later he showed up 20 minutes late for treatment on a pulled hamstring and was benched for the season finale.

If he comes to Seattle, Marshall would be reunited with offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates, who worked as an offensive assistant with the Broncos until last season when he went to Southern California to becomes the offensive coordinator for Pete Carroll. Now the duo are with the Seahawks, along with Seattle quarterbacks coach Jedd Fisch, who coached receivers in Denver until last season.

And receiver is quickly becoming a need for the Seahawks. They saw Nate Burleson leave for Detroit in the first hours of free agency and haven't made a decision on underperforming Deion Branch, whom the team spent a first-round pick to acquire in a trade from New England at the start of the 2006 season.

If Branch does not return, Seattle would have only one wide receiver -- T.J. Houshmandzadeh -- on its roster that caught more than 15 passes last season.

Northman
03-06-2010, 02:18 PM
The "get-to-know-each other" scenario is some what confusing. If this was a normal thing, why would the "get-to-know-each other" visit not take place regardless who the player is - regardless where the player is visiting? Also, Seattle definitely has to know more about Brandon, than many teams know about a player visiting them - i.e. Bates - OC with Broncos, Fitch - WR coach with Broncos.

On the video, Schefter also stated", if Brandon signs an offer sheet, Seattle gives up the #6 pick, OR a separate trade settlement could be done - that is something they would have to discuss - "BUT NO INDICATION EITHER SIDE IS WILLING TO DO THAT".

My guess is its pretty much what some of the guys have been eluding too. Seattle doesnt want to give up their #6 pick. However, I dont see Denver letting Marsh go unless Seattle seriously sweetens the deal which would have to include at least the 14th overall pick in my opinion.

Ravage!!!
03-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Nah, this isnt about the benching dude. Yes, the league knows that Brandon has attitude problems and other various attitude problems. Like i said in my last post, the talk is if Denver cant unload Brandon they will just keep him to fulfill his contract. So this tells me they simply wont let him walk for peanuts and frankly, do we really want to become the next Dan Snyder when it comes to getting ass-raped in trades?

The talk from who? McD? Isn't that what you would say if you were trying to get the most for your commodity? You aren't going to say "we'll take whatever we can get." You would say "if we don't get enough, we'll simply keep him. He's worth more to us than that." Of course you would. Of course McD would. Thats the smart thing to do.

But I do think that it comes down to the benching at the end. People always remember the latest with a person. Marshall's season was phenominal. The last thing people would have remembered, was his season. The pre-season stuff would have been pushed to the side. But it was brought up again, because of the media talk at the end. Thus completely negated the season's play. So it very much comes into play here.

Both these guys have said a lot of things and then turned around and done something different. Denver just simply cant let him walk for nothing as its just not good business. Although im sure that if McD lets Brandon walk for next to nothing it will just add more fuel to the fire about how much he sucks as as HC. Frankly, i would like to skip all that and get what Brandon is worth so hopefully like Wash Denver can find a suitor who is willing to give up their #1 pick.

exactly. If they don't get what they can fo rhim now, he walks for nothing next year. Then everyone will look back and say "why didn't we get what we could have when we had the chance?" Because Marshall isn't going to be happy about playing for the tendered price, and I don't think he signs a long term deal in Denver.

Nomad
03-06-2010, 02:37 PM

This is Seattle's way of saying we're not giving you #6 and more than likely #14 either! And probably will ask Marshall what he thinks about 200 + cloudy/rainy days and give him a psych eval and make sure he won't lose it because of the depressed mood there and take it out on his girlfriend!!

Many places I've read believe McD's going to take the 2nd and Branch and a pick next year. Marshall hates denver not only McD but because of the hip thing and if he's here next year I don't expect him to give much effort

Slick
03-06-2010, 02:43 PM
But I do think that it comes down to the benching at the end. People always remember the latest with a person. Marshall's season was phenominal. The last thing people would have remembered, was his season. The pre-season stuff would have been pushed to the side. But it was brought up again, because of the media talk at the end. Thus completely negated the season's play. So it very much comes into play here.

I think most of us were ready to move on and let Brandon do his talking on the field. He seemed to want it that way, but talking heads wouldn't let him. It's a damn shame so many people are employed in the business of sports sensationalism, and that they can't let his play on the field weigh more than some off the field incidents that occurred some time ago.

...and now we're in the situation we're in. Personally, I think we're a much better team with him on it, but here we are...

T.K.O.
03-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Then, during the Broncos' six-game winning streak, he was seen running onto the podium while head coach Josh McDaniels was in the middle of a press conference to give him a hug. Everything seemed to be going well in Bronco-land.Until the end of the year rolls around and Marshall, along with tight end Tony Scheffler, is ruled inactive in a game that could have had playoff implications.And now Marshall says that he was in the wrong all season long, saying his actions were "unprofessional," and is willing to do whatever it takes to stay in Denver."Last year I handled things totally wrong," Marshall said. "I just looked at the business side of things and took things too personally. This year I'm going to remove myself from the situation and let the Broncos decide the direction we're going to go in as an organization."It would make sense that Marshall was acting out because he took the lack of a new contract as a slap in the face and was unable to separate business from the football field, as has been the case with many players over the years.If that is the case, it's certainly something that he could have learned to deal with and may be the best team player in the entire league next season. Really, there's no way for us on the outside to know.The one person who does know, however, is head coach Josh McDaniels.Marshall's good-guy act may be just too little, too late. There are no signs that McDaniels wants Marshall back and he could find himself on the way out via trade this offseason.There are certainly 10-15 teams out there that would do a backflip to get Marshall, so trading him and getting some picks in return may be the course of action for Denver.

Ravage!!!
03-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Not surprising. The Seahawks aren't in a hurry. There would be no need to sign him to an offer sheet. They don't want to give up the #6 pick for him. They'll negotiate with Denver on different compensation.

Ziggy
03-06-2010, 03:26 PM
If they offer the 14th, I hope the FO jumps all over it. Denver's not going to get a higher pick for him than what the Hawks will offer.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2010, 03:28 PM
I wonder if the following has something to do with the assumption that Seattle will not offer Brandon anything today - i.e. with these players scheduled to be in Seattle, they may want to see how things go with everyone who comes in, before they decide how they want to spend their money?????

http://twitter.com/ADAM_SCHEFTER

Busy week ahead for Seahawks - hosting visits with former Patriots TE Chris Baker and Saints RB Mike Bell.

Northman
03-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Wow, wouldnt that be funny if Bell gets a big payday from Seattle. lol

gregbroncs
03-06-2010, 03:31 PM
I say make them make him the offer and then take their 6th pick. If they don't want it and somebody with a much lower pick does they can always just match the offer and attempt to trade him later. Denver has all of the power here why negotiate with a team that so obviously wants him. And has a pick that would really help your team.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-06-2010, 04:25 PM
I say make them make him the offer and then take their 6th pick. If they don't want it and somebody with a much lower pick does they can always just match the offer and attempt to trade him later. Denver has all of the power here why negotiate with a team that so obviously wants him. And has a pick that would really help your team.

On the contrary, Denver really doesn't have a lot of power. They have to take what the market will bear. Every other NFL team knows that McDaniels wants to get rid of Marshall. It's not a secret. That significantly shifts the balance of power for the Broncos at the bargaining table.

Sure, the Broncos could play hardball, no one will bite, and we'll keep Marshall for one more year (where he'll repeat what he did this year again, good and bad, and next year he'll be a UFA and we'll get nothing). The Broncos FO understands this. They don't want Marshall, but they won't just give him away, either. I think we're going to work out a trade, maybe for a 1st rounder, maybe for a lower round pick and a player or two, but it won't be for #6 overall.

I've got a feeling that if Marshall goes to Seattle, Deion Branch will definitely be part of the deal. The Seahawks need to get rid of his contract and he and McDaniels are familiar from NE.

Lonestar
03-06-2010, 04:42 PM

IIRC they do not have an option to give us anything but THEIR draft choice IF they tender him and offer. That does not mean we can't dicker with them about a trade to them for other choices. BUT in order to do that BM would have to sign our tender sheet/RFA agreement not sure what it called.

I saw this on the Broncos blog and thought is interesting

Q. Will some teams overspend?

It’s believed that most teams will exercise restraint. Several teams have said they’ll apply an artificial salary cap, better known in most businesses as a budget.

The reality, however, is that teams generating higher revenues will be in position to budget more money for players.

The Redskins are a team to watch in this regard. Some think that new G.M. Bruce Allen will counsel against excessive spending. Others think that owner Daniel Snyder won’t be able to resist the urge to splurge.

Another team that might be tempted to spend more than others is the Seahawks. Owner Paul Allen occupies a position among the richest owners in the league, and new coach Pete Carroll learned at the college level that recruiting better talent increases dramatically the chances of on-field success.

At the NFL level, the best recruiting tool is cash.

Lonestar
03-06-2010, 04:51 PM
On the contrary, Denver really doesn't have a lot of power. They have to take what the market will bear. Every other NFL team knows that McDaniels wants to get rid of Marshall. It's not a secret. That significantly shifts the balance of power for the Broncos at the bargaining table.

Sure, the Broncos could play hardball, no one will bite, and we'll keep Marshall for one more year (where he'll repeat what he did this year again, good and bad, and next year he'll be a UFA and we'll get nothing). The Broncos FO understands this. They don't want Marshall, but they won't just give him away, either. I think we're going to work out a trade, maybe for a 1st rounder, maybe for a lower round pick and a player or two, but it won't be for #6 overall.

I've got a feeling that if Marshall goes to Seattle, Deion Branch will definitely be part of the deal. The Seahawks need to get rid of his contract and he and McDaniels are familiar from NE.

Not so sure he walks next year iF there is still no CBA Players are RFA till they have played six years. Other wise Orton would be a UFA this year.

I may be wrong on this but pretty sure I saw a artical saying that the 4 and 5 year players would get screwed if it was uncapped.

dogfish
03-06-2010, 04:53 PM
If they offer the 14th, I hope the FO jumps all over it. Denver's not going to get a higher pick for him than what the Hawks will offer.

agreed. . . and if they offer anything less, josh needs to tell them to kiss his ass and immediately hang up the phone. . . don't even discuss it. . . .

Lonestar
03-06-2010, 05:03 PM
agreed. . . and if they offer anything less, josh needs to tell them to kiss his ass and immediately hang up the phone. . . don't even discuss it. . . .

Just so I can make sure, This year it is OK for Josh to answer the phone. :D

WARHORSE
03-06-2010, 05:47 PM
To clarify, if the Seattle Seahawks submit an offer sheet to Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall — and there's still plenty of "if" about that — they would do so knowing they would be forced to surrender their original first-round draft pick to the Broncos.
The Seahawks' original pick is No. 6 overall in the upcoming draft. They also have the No. 14 overall pick, which they received in a trade from the Broncos last year that involved Alphonso Smith.
As the Seahawks negotiate with Marshall and agent Kennard McGuire today, the Broncos are to steer clear from the matter. There is no compensation discussion in the offer-sheet process. Should the Seahawks submit an offer sheet for Marshall, the Broncos would have seven days to match — or let him go for the No. 6 overall pick. Period.
Considering the deal Arizona just made with Baltimore for Anquan Boldin, a No. 6 overall pick would be tremendous compensation for the Broncos. Boldin is the receiver who most closely resembles Marshall in that both are physical, 100-catch, post-up type receivers. Boldin has more wear; Marshall has more baggage.
Yet, all Arizona could get back from Baltimore for Boldin was a third- and fourth-round pick. And the Cards even had to throw in a fifth-round pick to make it happen. So a first-round pick, much less the No. 6 pick overall, would be plenty for Marshall.
In that scenario, the Broncos would again have two first round picks — the No. 6 and 11 overall — in this year's draft. Last year, they used the No. 12 and No. 18 overall picks to select Knowshon Moreno and Robert Ayers.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14525679#ixzz0hRG632VS

dogfish
03-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Just so I can make sure, This year it is OK for Josh to answer the phone. :D

yea, let him know i said it's cool. . . . :lol:

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2010, 05:49 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/15148/broncos-marshall-visiting-seahawks

Chris Egan of King-5 TV in Seattle has confirmed Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall's arrival by seaplane at Seahawks headquarters, and he thankfully did it without reference to the team making a splash in free agency.

Marshall is a restricted free agent tendered to a first-round draft pick, meaning the Seahawks would have to risk the sixth overall choice -- not the 14th, acquired from Denver via trade -- if they signed the receiver to an offer sheet. I would be shocked if Seattle took that route, particularly absent a market for Marshall. Working out a trade with Denver would make much more sense.

The Seahawks will spend the afternoon getting to know Marshall and renewing acquaintances (their offensive coordinator, Jeremy Bates, coached Marshall in Denver). Seattle might be wise to let the market for Marshall become more clearly defined. I haven't seen reports suggesting additional teams have serious interest. The Ravens acquired Anquan Boldin, diminishing any interest they might have had for a receiver with Marshall's credentials.

The Seahawks know Denver wants to trade Marshall. They know Marshall wants out of Denver badly.

Those circumstances could make it plausible for the Seahawks to negotiate a lower price for Marshall. The Antonio Cromartie situation in San Diego could be instructive here. The Chargers wanted to trade him. Cromartie, like Marshall, carried baggage. The Chargers wound up settling for a 2011 conditional draft choice.

Marshall should have more value than Cromartie, but how much more? It's an upset if Seattle parts with a 2010 first-round choice under the circumstances.

dogfish
03-06-2010, 06:14 PM
good luck with that, seattle media, but there's no comparison between cromartie and marshall. . . they both may be turds as people, but marshall is a damn good football player. . . .

Traveler
03-06-2010, 06:17 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/15148/broncos-marshall-visiting-seahawks

Chris Egan of King-5 TV in Seattle has confirmed Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall's arrival by seaplane at Seahawks headquarters, and he thankfully did it without reference to the team making a splash in free agency.

Marshall is a restricted free agent tendered to a first-round draft pick, meaning the Seahawks would have to risk the sixth overall choice -- not the 14th, acquired from Denver via trade -- if they signed the receiver to an offer sheet. I would be shocked if Seattle took that route, particularly absent a market for Marshall. Working out a trade with Denver would make much more sense.

The Seahawks will spend the afternoon getting to know Marshall and renewing acquaintances (their offensive coordinator, Jeremy Bates, coached Marshall in Denver). Seattle might be wise to let the market for Marshall become more clearly defined. I haven't seen reports suggesting additional teams have serious interest. The Ravens acquired Anquan Boldin, diminishing any interest they might have had for a receiver with Marshall's credentials.

The Seahawks know Denver wants to trade Marshall. They know Marshall wants out of Denver badly.

Those circumstances could make it plausible for the Seahawks to negotiate a lower price for Marshall. The Antonio Cromartie situation in San Diego could be instructive here. The Chargers wanted to trade him. Cromartie, like Marshall, carried baggage. The Chargers wound up settling for a 2011 conditional draft choice.

Marshall should have more value than Cromartie, but how much more? It's an upset if Seattle parts with a 2010 first-round choice under the circumstances.

Hence my point that everyone should chill until we know exactly what we'll get for Marshall. Premature to think SEA would part with the #6 pick for Marshall.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2010, 06:18 PM
good luck with that, seattle media, but there's no comparison between cromartie and marshall. . . they both may be turds as people, but marshall is a damn good football player. . . .

I agree with you. If this person in Seattle knows what he is talking about, and Seattle is the only team interested in Brandon, if the Broncos really want to give up on him, Seattle can basically offer whatever they want via a trade.

underrated29
03-06-2010, 06:19 PM
and marshall has no kids depending on him. Where as Cro has like 11 kids in like 11 states..... I bet he might have one or two in mexico too..

Northman
03-06-2010, 06:26 PM
I agree with you. If this person in Seattle knows what he is talking about, and Seattle is the only team interested in Brandon, if the Broncos really want to give up on him, Seattle can basically offer whatever they want via a trade.

True, but again Denver would have to agree to it. If we let Marshall go without getting a first than we got owned in the deal. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2010, 06:34 PM
True, but again Denver would have to agree to it. If we let Marshall go without getting a first than we got owned in the deal. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

I know that Denver must agree to it, but it might be the only deal that comes their way - i.e. do we want to take whatever, or do we want to keep him.

Northman
03-06-2010, 06:41 PM
I know that Denver must agree to it, but it might be the only deal that comes their way - i.e. do we want to take whatever, or do we want to keep him.

Well, from what ive heard Denver will keep Brandon if need be so this is why i dont think they will be in a rush to accept just anything especially if it doesnt include a 1st rounder. Thing is, a guy like Edwards was traded midway through the season so even if Denver doesnt unload Marshall before the draft they may end up finding a suitor later down the road. I dont think McD will rush this at all.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2010, 07:07 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/10698/marshalls-situation-will-be-a-process

Brandon Marshall is getting the royal treatment in Seattle as his visit there commences.

However, don’t expect a fast resolution. Just because Seattle struck quickly to arrange a visit for the restricted free agent receiver, it doesn’t mean he will sign quickly. This situation may percolate for a few days or longer.

There are going to be layers to this situation. First, Seattle has to feel comfortable with Marshall. That is the purpose of this visit. He has had several off-field issues, so Seattle has make sure it has a good feeling about Marshall. It has a good start because former Denver assistants Jeremy Bates, Jedd Fisch and Pat McPherson are on Seattle’s staff. They know Marshall and they like him.

Then, if Seattle does get a good feel for Marshall, it will start to negotiate a long-term deal. It wouldn’t make sense for Seattle to deal for Marshall and not give him an extension with just one year remaining on his contract. The contract discussions could take a while. Like any team dealing with Marshall, Seattle will likely pursue contract protection in case Marshall gets in trouble in the future.

Finally, if Seattle gets through the first two steps, it will be time to negotiate trade terms with Denver. Don’t expect Seattle to sign Marshall to a classic offer sheet for the first-round tender. Seattle very likely won’t want to surrender the No. 6 overall draft pick. Seattle also has the No. 14 pick, which was acquired from Denver last year on draft day when the Broncos traded for the chance to take cornerback Alphonso Smith at No. 37.

Seattle could be willing to trade a second draft pick. I wouldn’t be surprised if receiver Deion Branch was part of a deal. He flourished in New England when Denver coach Josh McDaniels was there and he could help in McDaniels’ system.

Still, there is a lot to hash out and it could take awhile. Seattle may not feel any urgency to finalize this deal until another team comes forward with interest. Thus far, that has not happened. Baltimore was expected to be interested, but that interest probably waned since the Ravens traded for Anquan Boldin on Friday.

Ravage!!!
03-06-2010, 07:20 PM
They will NOT offer the 6 pick.... :laugh: no way, no how.....

Brace yourself folks... we are NOT getting the 6th pick, and will be lucky to get a first round

SmilinAssasSin27
03-06-2010, 07:45 PM
I actually don't want the 6th pick. Way to expensive for who will be there. The top 6-7 prospects aren't necessarily need fillers in Denver. We don't need 4-3 DTs, QBs w/ huge questions marks or franchise LTs. The McClains, Bryants, Iupatis, Dan Williams' are all obtainable at the 11 and/or 14 spot.

Personally, I'd be fine with their 2nd and 3rd rounders. They pick very early in each of those rounds and guys like Cody, LaFell, Demaryius Thomas, DuCasse, Colt McCoy and Spikes could be there at #40....and at half the cost. Just my 2 cents

underrated29
03-06-2010, 08:11 PM
**** NO to DEON BRANCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is done, his knees are shot and he himself said that very same thing. They may never be right. Besides that, branch is overrated and always was.

getlynched47
03-06-2010, 08:42 PM
I find it comical that people actually believe Seattle was ever considering giving us the #6 overall pick for Brandon Marshall. Just not going to happen.

Most likely scenario is that the Seahawks work on a trade for Brandon Marshall's rights, which hopefully involves the #14 pick AT LEAST.

EMB6903
03-06-2010, 09:32 PM
I find it comical that people actually believe Seattle was ever considering giving us the #6 overall pick for Brandon Marshall. Just not going to happen.

Most likely scenario is that the Seahawks work on a trade for Brandon Marshall's rights, which hopefully involves the #14 pick AT LEAST.

Why dont you think its realistic? during a time like this teams are going to be very cautious over who they spend their money on and regardless of his pety off the field issues hes a top 3 WR in this league.

Seattle would rather dump their #6 overall pick and sign a proven talent for just as much money esspecially if they already have a mid 1st rounder to use.

dogfish
03-06-2010, 09:35 PM
I actually don't want the 6th pick. Way to expensive for who will be there. The top 6-7 prospects aren't necessarily need fillers in Denver. We don't need 4-3 DTs, QBs w/ huge questions marks or franchise LTs. The McClains, Bryants, Iupatis, Dan Williams' are all obtainable at the 11 and/or 14 spot.

Personally, I'd be fine with their 2nd and 3rd rounders. They pick very early in each of those rounds and guys like Cody, LaFell, Demaryius Thomas, DuCasse, Colt McCoy and Spikes could be there at #40....and at half the cost. Just my 2 cents

agreed. . . i don't especially want clausen at #6 (i WOULD take bradford there, in a heartbeat, but i don't really expect him to be there at 6), suh and mccoy will be gone, too high for mcclain and i wouldn't particularly want bryant there either, and i wouldn't want the risk of one of the top edge rushers there-- if we want an edge rusher, i'd rather take graham or kindle later in the round. . .

and while i wouldn't hate taking a top tackle prospect if the FO thinks harris' injuries concerns are a legit source of worry going forward, i'd rather hedge our bets with iupati later-- he may fit just as well at ORT as OG (coach thinks maybe better), but he can beef up the interior in the meantime. . . if harris holds up we get a potential mauler inside, and if he doesn't we have a nasty prospect who fits our scheme better anyway, and maybe he can buy us a year or two to fortify the interior. . .

i'd also rather take pouncey in the 20's than bulaga at 6 or trent williams at 11. . .

the only really intriguing possibility at 6, IMO, might be eric berry. . . i think it's an outside chance, though, unless he drops just a little bit because teams decide to spend those top five picks on a couple of quarterbacks or OTs along with the two big DTS, instead of a smallish safety. . .

in any case, it's a probably a moot point, 'cuz i'd be pretty shocked if we got #6. . .

rcsodak
03-06-2010, 09:56 PM

You think too much, Buff. :lol:

Balti was a final 8 team. They have rules telling them how much they can even pay for a RFA, if I'm reading right.

For the four clubs that lost in the Divisional Playoffs, in addition to having the ability to sign free agents based on the number of their own free agents signing with other clubs, they may also sign players based on specific financial parameters. Those four only will be permitted to sign one unrestricted free agent for $5.5 million (estimated) or more in year one of the contract, plus the number of their UFAs who sign with another team. They also can sign any unrestricted free agents for less than $3.7 (estimated) million in year one of the contract with limitations on the per year increases.

In the case of all final eight teams, the first year salary of UFAs they sign to replace those lost cannot exceed the first year salary of the player lost with limitations on the per year increases.

McD can sit back and let other teams come forward with their offers. It's day fricking 2!!!!! More than likely, it'd be a team with 2 1'st rd pics.
Or, they can do a sign-n-trade. Then they can take something different than another team's original #1. In the case of Seattle, they could say #14 and a #4, or a player, etc.

rcsodak
03-06-2010, 10:00 PM

Which starting wr has NYJ lost to FA?

dogfish
03-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Which starting wr has NYJ lost to FA?

RC, as far as i know the final eight/final four rules only limit those teams' ability to sign free agents. . . i didn't see anything in there restricting the acquisition of players via trade. . .

rcsodak
03-06-2010, 10:17 PM
The tender is essentially just a 1 year contract offer from the Broncos.

The first round tender is there to protect the Broncos from being unable to match Marshall's offered contract from the other team. If Seattle throws a huge contract at Marshall and we don't match, if nothing else happens, they owe us a first round pick.

Understand that the Broncos can accept ANYTHING THEY WANT as compensation for that pick, be it lower picks and players or whatever. It doesn't have to be just the #6 overall pick. If Seattle offers our #14 back and we accept, done deal. If they offer a lower pick and a player or two and we accept, done deal.

IMO, Seattle WILL NOT offer a contract to Marshall in this case until they've already reached an agreement with the Broncos for the compensation (something other than the #6 overall pick).

Ya'll are forgetting another option.

McD is using this time to figure out BM's market worth. He can just see what Seattle is offering him for a contract, and add $1 and keep him. That could save them from overpaying him.

I see NE looking at bringing Branch back. They could use a veteran wr.

rcsodak
03-06-2010, 10:26 PM

I agree.

If McD "just wants him gone", then he would have simply tendered him with a 2nd!

....but when you have so many know-it-alls....... :coffee:

Tned
03-06-2010, 10:26 PM

That sounds about right. Then, at the end of the day, it will be Marshall for Alphonso Smith.

One of only 5 WR's in the history of the game to have back-to-back-to-back 100 reception seasons, traded for a cornerback that couldn't beat out a half-retired Ty Law or practice squad player for the nickel spot.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Tned
03-06-2010, 10:30 PM
Ya'll are forgetting another option.

McD is using this time to figure out BM's market worth. He can just see what Seattle is offering him for a contract, and add $1 and keep him. That could save them from overpaying him.

I see NE looking at bringing Branch back. They could use a veteran wr.

He's an RFA they don't have to add $1. If a team signs Marshall to an offer sheet, the Broncos have something like 7 days to 'match' the contract and he remains a Bronco. That said, the Denver press puts that chance at pretty close to zero.

Northman
03-06-2010, 10:34 PM

Why dont you think its realistic? during a time like this teams are going to be very cautious over who they spend their money on and regardless of his pety off the field issues hes a top 3 WR in this league.

Seattle would rather dump their #6 overall pick and sign a proven talent for just as much money esspecially if they already have a mid 1st rounder to use.

Kind of my thoughts as well. Im not sure Seattle wants the 6th pick either unless they know exactly what they are getting. Thats a high price tag for a "what if". If they get Brandon they know he is worth the money and can let Denver take the 6th with the potential bust.

rcsodak
03-06-2010, 10:42 PM
RC, as far as i know the final eight/final four rules only limit those teams' ability to sign free agents. . . i didn't see anything in there restricting the acquisition of players via trade. . .

Is BM NOT a FA? :confused:

And what the hell good are these "rules", if teams can just fannagle their way out them? UGH

dogfish
03-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Is BM NOT a FA? :confused:

And what the hell good are these "rules", if teams can just fannagle their way out them? UGH

he is NOT a free agent. . .

he is a RESTRICTED free agent, one to whom we have made a tender offer (hehe-- sounds romantic). . . once he signs that he will be under contract, therefore, no longer a free agent of any type-- at which point we possess his rights just like we would any other player under contract with us. . . and we can do with those rights just like anyone else-- cut 'em, trade 'em. . . actually, i'm not 100% sure whether you can re-sign them or not (i don't think you can past a certain point with franchised players) if you don't do it before the season starts, but. . . i know the pats just re-signed wilfork from under his RFA tender deal. . .

getlynched47
03-07-2010, 12:15 AM
Kind of my thoughts as well. Im not sure Seattle wants the 6th pick either unless they know exactly what they are getting. Thats a high price tag for a "what if". If they get Brandon they know he is worth the money and can let Denver take the 6th with the potential bust.

If Seattle wouldn't want the 6th pick because of all the guaranteed money and the "bust factor" being more significant since it's a top-10 pick, why the hell would Denver think otherwise?

Northman
03-07-2010, 01:24 AM
If Seattle wouldn't want the 6th pick because of all the guaranteed money and the "bust factor" being more significant since it's a top-10 pick, why the hell would Denver think otherwise?

Because they want to unload Brandon and take a chance?

Ravage!!!
03-07-2010, 01:34 AM
If he wanted to keep Marshall, why would he not tender him with a 1st and third? Instead, he tendered the 1st... which made it very tempting and, very attractive to suitors. A first for Marshall's talent isn't hard to attract.

Just because McD is attempting to get the MOST value he can for Marshall, doesn't mean he's doing his best to keep him. He's not doing his best to keep him. If he wanted to keep him, he would have tendered him higher.

That tells you he's looking to trade him away. It tells everyone he wants to trade Marshall away. But when you want to sell anything (house, car, boat... jewelry) you always start HIGH with your asking price. Not too high that it scares any potentials away, but high enough so that you have room to negotiate lower.

Also... lets not forget that the owner of Seattle Seahawks... is EXTREMELY rich. Not just Bowlen rich. He can afford the 6th pick, MUCH MUCH better than Bowlen can. If anyone, in this deal, doesn't want the 6th pick.. it would be Bowlen.

Northman
03-07-2010, 11:19 AM
I dont think he wants to keep Marshall, but he isnt against having him fulfill his contract either. So basically they are dangling Marshall out there to see who's biting but again if he just wanted to unload the guy and "settle" for later picks he would be getting far more business by tendering him at a 2nd or 3rd draft choice. Hell, if your just trying to get "anything" for the guy give him up for a 4th round pick and move on. Its not rocket science dude. Getting rid of a player is just not that hard unless you truly want to get what he is worth.

T.K.O.
03-07-2010, 12:36 PM
it is also very possible that since marshall turned down a multi year deal at 9.5 million from the broncos ,that the FO is just letting see what other teams offer.
if they go higher or throw in a big signing bonus we get the pick and everyone's (well not everyone;) ) happy.
if other teams are'nt willing to go as high as marshall may think....he will comeback to denver and sign our offer. it is still a very real possibility that marshall stays:salute:

Lonestar
03-07-2010, 01:27 PM
it is also very possible that since marshall turned down a multi year deal at 9.5 million from the broncos ,that the FO is just letting see what other teams offer.
if they go higher or throw in a big signing bonus we get the pick and everyone's (well not everyone;) ) happy.
if other teams are'nt willing to go as high as marshall may think....he will comeback to denver and sign our offer. it is still a very real possibility that marshall stays:salute:

He wants out of town and unless NO ONE offers him anything he is gone.

rcsodak
03-07-2010, 02:29 PM
He wants out of town and unless NO ONE offers him anything he is gone.

Well, jr, it depends on which time you listen to him on whether he wants to leave or not.
:rolleyes:

Nomad
03-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Well, jr, it depends on which time you listen to him on whether he wants to leave or not.
:rolleyes:

I guarantee if Mr Bowlen would tell Xander to offer Marshall what he wants plus a little extra, he'd think Denver was the next thing closest to heaven. Someone mebtioned Bowlen thinks Marshall is maturing, well if that's the case why let him go because he does have the final say!!

Sparky The Sun Devil
03-07-2010, 02:43 PM
The Broncos will not settle for less than a first-round pick in Brandon Marshall trade talks, according to the National Football Post.
"It's either an offer sheet or he plays in Denver next season," Michael Lombardi writes. The Broncos will not negotiate. Lombardi also expects the Seahawks to have competition for Marshall shortly, although he doesn't say which team would jump in. The Patriots, Falcons, and Bengals make sense.

rotoworld

Ravage!!!
03-07-2010, 02:54 PM
That report is just speculation. Where is the source? I hope they are right, but 14 is a first round pick.... so thats a trade. I just don't believe tht Denver passes on 14.

TXBRONC
03-07-2010, 07:32 PM
I guarantee if Mr Bowlen would tell Xander to offer Marshall what he wants plus a little extra, he'd think Denver was the next thing closest to heaven. Someone mebtioned Bowlen thinks Marshall is maturing, well if that's the case why let him go because he does have the final say!!

There is only one time that I can think of that Bowlen has ever inserted himself into player personnel matters and that was a long time ago.

Nomad
03-07-2010, 07:35 PM
There is only one time that I can think of that Bowlen has ever inserted himself into player personnel matters and that was a long time ago.

He does have a say and if he wants marshall to stay he would be!!

BTW, Tned cool Mariners gear in your advertisements!!

rcsodak
03-07-2010, 09:48 PM

Which is why I've repeatedly said, that the reason McD put the #1 on him was to garner his market value. If it's too steep, they'll let him go for the 1, otherwise, they'll keep him. Not to mention, it might put BM in his place by the LACK of offers coming in for him. That may just be the wakeup call that McD is hoping for, but couldn't do on his own. Methinks McD is smart beyond his years.

A 1/3 keeps teams away, and only begs for the team to overpay.

I like how McD is sticking to his guns. Anybody that says BM isn't worth a #1 by his on the field output is simply naive.

rcsodak
03-07-2010, 09:50 PM
That report is just speculation. Where is the source? I hope they are right, but 14 is a first round pick.... so thats a trade. I just don't believe tht Denver passes on 14.

Don't backtrack now, rav. Stick to your guns! :laugh:

rationalfan
03-07-2010, 10:58 PM
i'm not sure if this was posted earlier, but this is mike lombardi on twitter replying to a question of where marshall plays next year:

"tough one. I think Denver. But not sure"

remember, lombardi used to work for denver.

CoachChaz
03-08-2010, 09:27 AM

Interesting take. Maybe Denver makes him an offer and he turns it down. So Denver says "here's a 1st round tender, go see if someone offers something better. If they do...then go for it. If not, we still have our offer on the table".

it's a long shot, but I caould see that scenario playing out

T.K.O.
03-08-2010, 09:36 AM

you mean almost a year ago !

Bowlen says Broncos will trade Cutler
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Posted By Mike Florio 9:23 PM
Wow.
The calendar doesn't yet say April 1, but we're not sure that the Broncos haven't gotten a head start on the process.
In a statement released Tuesday night, owner Pat Bowlen says that the team will accommodate quarterback Jay Cutler's request for a trade:
"Numerous attempts to contact Jay Cutler in the last 10 days, both by [coach] Josh McDaniels and myself, have been unsuccessful.
"A conversation with his agent earlier today clearly communicated and confirmed to us that Jay no longer has any desire to play for the Denver Broncos .
"We will begin discussions with other teams in an effort to accommodate his request to be traded."

TXBRONC
03-08-2010, 12:51 PM

Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Wow.
The calendar doesn't yet say April 1, but we're not sure that the Broncos haven't gotten a head start on the process.
In a statement released Tuesday night, owner Pat Bowlen says that the team will accommodate quarterback Jay Cutler's request for a trade:
"Numerous attempts to contact Jay Cutler in the last 10 days, both by [coach] Josh McDaniels and myself, have been unsuccessful.
"A conversation with his agent earlier today clearly communicated and confirmed to us that Jay no longer has any desire to play for the Denver Broncos .
"We will begin discussions with other teams in an effort to accommodate his request to be traded."

NO I MEAN OVER 20 YEARS AGO. The only time Bowlen EVER stepped in to stop a trade was way back when Dan Reeves tried to traded John Elway. :coffee:

Ravage!!!
03-08-2010, 01:18 PM

Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Wow.

Uhmm.. this was WELL after McD had already tried to trade Cutler away for Cassel. This wasn't Bowlen stepping in.

T.K.O.
03-08-2010, 01:46 PM
NO I MEAN OVER 20 YEARS AGO. The only time Bowlen EVER stepped in to stop a trade was way back when Dan Reeves tried to traded John Elway. :coffee:

there is a big difference between
"Originally Posted by TXBRONC

and

"EVER stepped in to stop a trade "

so dont get all snippy with me ;)
i was commenting on what you said .....not what you apparently meant

WARHORSE
03-09-2010, 02:21 PM
From The News tribune...

Exploring every possible opportunity to improve your roster amounts to due diligence for new management striving to rebuild a struggling NFL franchise.

But trying to do it with the likes of Brandon Marshall would be inviting headaches, risks and potential public-relations nightmares in exchange for questionable gains.

Aside from being a distracting malcontent with the Denver Broncos, Marshall’s history of arrests includes disorderly conduct, drunken driving, and, most alarmingly, a number of incidents of alleged domestic violence … with two different women.

I don’t care how talented this guy is, or how badly the Seahawks need a receiver, or how many of the charges against him have been dropped, this much involvement with domestic-violence charges should be an absolute non-negotiable deal-breaker from the start.

Seahawks: You looked him over, now let him be somebody else’s problem.

The Seahawks have not made an offer for the restricted free agent, but they did invite him up for a visit last weekend. At the least, it means they’re considering surrendering the first-round draft pick it would take to get him from the Broncos – a team that has grown weary of his antics.

Deposed Seahawks president Tim Ruskell placed primacy on character when acquiring players. As the team slipped to nine wins in the past two seasons, it was easy to criticize Ruskell for going too far in search of Eagle Scouts.

With coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider now in charge, it’s obvious Ruskell’s character mandate is no longer the first criterion when shopping for talent.

The notion these are the “new” Seahawks was reinforced Monday with reports that long-time back-up quarterback Seneca Wallace had been traded to Cleveland, to be reunited with his old coach, Mike Holmgren, who now runs the Browns franchise.

While Marshall is a player with three consecutive 100-catch seasons, he also has been suspended by both the NFL and the Broncos for his behavior.

ESPN’s “Outside the Lines” program did a detailed report on Marshall’s issues with a long-time girlfriend, digging up police reports of seven cases of alleged domestic violence. Some involved dueling reports, and in most cases charges weren’t pressed.

Almost all are disputed, and nobody can be certain what went on behind closed doors, but there are frightening 911 tapes that appear to tell of violent episodes involving Marshall. Search YouTube for the full accounts.

He was arrested in 2007 and charged with false imprisonment and domestic violence, charges which were dropped after he completed an anger-management class.

Just a bad relationship with one woman?

Last March he and another woman, his fiancée, were arrested after a public fight in which several witnesses, including an off-duty policeman, reported seeing them “kicking and punching each other.” The case was dismissed. But that doesn’t look like managed anger.

He also was on hand for the New Year’s Day 2007 altercation that led to the fatal shooting of teammate Darrent Williams.

Some fans will be more interested in his ability to catch the ball and help the team win games. I’m not convinced of that, either.

As Marshall pulled in 307 catches the past three seasons, Denver went 23-25 and never made the playoffs.

You also might find some enlightening video on-line showing Marshall’s disruptive behavior during Broncos’ practice, where his pouting and petulance had to divert the focus of everybody on the field. This is not a guy who is going to put the needs of the team anywhere near the top of his own agenda.

There are several connections between Marshall and the new Seahawks staff. Offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates and quarterback coach Jedd Fisch previously were on the Denver staff. They must see value in at least taking a look at Marshall.

Carroll, though, will be the man making the decision on Marshall. As I researched a recent feature story on Carroll, I was impressed by his genuine efforts to help those who work to rehabilitate criminal offenders.

This is a coach for whom second-chances and human redemption are not just talk. This might make Carroll the coach in the league best suited to face the challenges Marshall presents.

But Marshall has had a number of chances already. He’s not worth the risk.

The Seahawks did not make him an offer before he left. Good. Here’s hoping he doesn’t come back.

Lonestar
03-09-2010, 02:43 PM
:dito:

Great article

but I'm hoping ANYONE will take him off our hands and in the process get us more Draft Choices to rebuild this team with some top talent.

TXBRONC
03-09-2010, 02:47 PM
there is a big difference between
"Originally Posted by TXBRONC

and

"EVER stepped in to stop a trade "

so dont get all snippy with me ;)
i was commenting on what you said .....not what you apparently meant

You have this fixation on bringing up Culter for everything get past that you might actually read what's put in the post.

Lonestar
03-09-2010, 03:01 PM
time to get

:focus:.

T.K.O.
03-09-2010, 03:02 PM
i read very well,thank you.
and rather than continue your attempt to belittle me why dont you back up your original statement....let me refresh your memory "There is only one time that I can think of that Bowlen has ever inserted himself into player personnel matters and that was a long time ago. "
you didnt say that bowlen "did,nt stop the trade of cutler"
and i have only pointed out that he (bowlen) was one of the main parties involved in the decision to "accommodate" cutlers trade request.
you can try and "twist" your statements to make them appear correct,but please dont "twist" mine
and i will leave it at that.

Lonestar
03-09-2010, 03:12 PM
time to get

Lets have a little time out and come back here in a few minutes.

Lonestar
03-09-2010, 03:58 PM
time to get

lets play nice now OK and its time to get

rcsodak
03-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Uhmm.. this was WELL after McD had already tried to trade Cutler away for Cassel. This wasn't Bowlen stepping in.

Still waiting for your irrefutable evidence SHOWING McD "tried to trade Cutler away for Cassel".

I mean, it MUST be out there, since you are always so quick to make it as a factual statement.

TIA

Denver Native (Carol)
03-09-2010, 11:16 PM
Schefter also talking about Brandon on the video on the link - Adam said that if the Broncos do not receive a first round pick, they will bring Brandon back.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4974292

The Cincinnati Bengals, badly in need of a wide receiver, are discussing a run at restricted free agent Brandon Marshall, as well as other options.

Marshall spent Sunday in Seattle, where the Seahawks have been the front-runner for his services. But NFL sources said the Bengals have contemplated, and will continue contemplating, pursuing Marshall. Terrell Owens and Antonio Bryant are among the other players being considered.

How serious the Bengals will be still is a matter of discussion within the organization.

Marshall, who was tendered at the first-round pick level by the Denver Broncos last week, spent the past two days in Seattle. Teams rarely pursue restricted free agents this early, and Seattle's interest is said to be genuine. Should Seattle extend an offer sheet to Marshall, the compensation would be non-negotiable: Denver would receive the Seahawks sixth overall pick.

With the top unrestricted free agents signing over the first weekend of free agency, the spotlight now shifts to the most high-profile restricted free agent available -- Marshall, who has more than 100 catches in each of the past three seasons.

Tned
03-09-2010, 11:33 PM
Still waiting for your irrefutable evidence SHOWING McD "tried to trade Cutler away for Cassel".

I mean, it MUST be out there, since you are always so quick to make it as a factual statement.

TIA

McDaniels said that they had discussions and also said that after the trade for Cassel fell through, he was only interested in trading Cutler for picks, not another player. I've posted the quotes several times.

NightTrainLayne
03-09-2010, 11:45 PM
McDaniels said that they had discussions and also said that after the trade for Cassel fell through, he was only interested in trading Cutler for picks, not another player. I've posted the quotes several times.

I hesitate to comment because I am so tired of this subject, but Tned, you really do a disservice to the story by trying to compress it all into such a short statement. I've seen all the comments that you've posted, and I do not feel that they really support the statement you made above. I understand that this is your interpretation of what happend based on reading all of those comments, and that it's an honest interpretation, but I think you are shading it to your understanding. When all the data is taken in full, more than one interpretation is plausible.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-10-2010, 12:02 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3983805

"That's what we have communicated ever since the deal with Cassel didn't happen," McDaniels said. "Other teams have called but we're not interested in getting draft picks for Jay. I never made a statement [Saturday] that 'you can be traded at any time.' They asked a question and I told them it was the time of year when people inquire about your team. Your job, as a head coach and general manager, is to listen and not bypass any opportunity to help your team improve. I think most people [in the NFL] feel the same way. You make smart, educated decisions that are best for your football team."