PDA

View Full Version : Schlereth: McDaniels doing it his way with Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
03-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Questions to Mark and his answers:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14515228?source=rss

What do you think about Josh McDaniels changing the Broncos' offensive line scheme (from zone blocking) to more of a "power" system?
-- Trent, Denver

Mark Schlereth: Trent, it doesn't bother me at all. What you have to understand is that the Broncos majored in the zone scheme when I was there and Mike Shanahan was there. But now they have tried to move away from that. Blocking in the NFL takes a lot of skill -- something people don't always understand -- and it takes a lot of time to develop those skills. So if (power blocking) is what Josh knows, has coached and is comfortable with, than that's what he must go with.

Another thing that people have to understand is that there isn't a team in the NFL that doesn't run some sort of zone blocking, or counters or power or trap blocking. Everybody runs a bit of everything.

Mark, it's well documented that the fans generally disagreed with Coach McDaniels' minimal use of Peyton Hillis last season. What's your opinion on that, and do you think Hillis will be traded, cut, or still a Bronco next season?
-- Fred, Prairie du Chien, WI

MS: I don't know for sure what happened, we can all speculate. But I do expect him to be here and get opportunities. We don't know what goes on in practice, and he put the ball on the ground early in the season. So that's a factor. But remember, we don't always see the full picture of what goes on with a team.

Do I think he deserves more opportunities? Yes. He's a big, physical back and he catches the ball out of the backfield.

What are your feelings about Josh McDaniels as the head coach of the Broncos? It sure seems like there's some insecurity there with all the examples he feels he has to set.
-- Buzz, Fort Collins

MS: I think this, and I learned this from spending time in TV with Bill Parcells: If you go in as a head coach, you had better do it your way. Bill said, 'You go in fire everybody and let everyone know that the old ways are not going to be tolerated.' I respect that, I think there is a lot to that. That being said, you have to be smart enough and mature enough to not fight your battles in the media.

Do you think the Broncos will draft a quarterback in the upcoming draft, or trade for an established QB?
-- Mark, Trinidad

MS: That's an interesting question. First of all, I don't think there is an established QB out there who is really worth anything. And I think you are always looking for a QB in the draft. If somebody is there that you like, would you take him, certainly. So I bet you will see them take somebody in round four or round five.

I think this football team under Josh McDaniels is not only going to look at positions, but I think they will take who they think is the best football player. You can never have enough good football players.

Broncolingus
03-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Thx,C...

I've always liked 'Stink...'

pnbronco
03-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Thx,C...

I've always liked 'Stink...'

Me too, thanks C......

Ziggy
03-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Very complimentary overall. He took his shot at the coach for airing things out in the media, which is fair.

Northman
03-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Bill said, 'You go in fire everybody and let everyone know that the old ways are not going to be tolerated.' I respect that, I think there is a lot to that. That being said, you have to be smart enough and mature enough to not fight your battles in the media.

Unfortuantely, this is a big issue right now with McD. You can set the rules, but keep it in house.

rationalfan
03-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Unfortuantely, this is a big issue right now with McD. You can set the rules, but keep it in house.

yeah, but if mcd kept it in house what would we argue about?

Dean
03-05-2010, 12:21 PM
yeah, but if mcd kept it in house what would we argue about?

As far as I know, and I have been following the Broncos since writing was done on papyrus, that has never been a problem.

Ravage!!!
03-05-2010, 12:57 PM
As far as I know, and I have been following the Broncos since writing was done on papyrus, that has never been a problem.

:lol: papyrus

Ravage!!!
03-05-2010, 12:59 PM

MS: I think this, and I learned this from spending time in TV with Bill Parcells: If you go in as a head coach, you had better do it your way. Bill said, 'You go in fire everybody and let everyone know that the old ways are not going to be tolerated.' I respect that, I think there is a lot to that. That being said, you have to be smart enough and mature enough to not fight your battles in the media.

I think you and Mark have it right.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Mark had many good things to say about Coach McD; however, the one negative, is what seems to be standing out here.

Nomad
03-05-2010, 01:08 PM

Something most of us have been saying all along. It's cool that McD wants to implement his 'own' scheme/philosophy but when it comes to disagreements within the organization they all need to keep it at Dove Valley because like Stink said we can all specualte and blame one side or the other but when it comes down to it, we don't know what really is going on!!

But the sad thing is, not just the BRONCOS or the NFL, every sport has turned to the media whether coach or player to fight their battles which becomes a war/division amongst fans and within the organizations

Lonestar
03-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Y'all act like no coaches ever call players out.

Perhaps dungy did not but I can't other coaches that have placed more blame on the coaches and himself than Josh does.

He spreads the blame around to where it belongs. If someone is blocking like crap they deserve to be called out. If someone is a diva he needs to told to grow up.

Since NONE of us are priviy to his meetings private and units. We have no idea if any of his public statements have not been talked about there.

He is not ab exprienced guy in front of a mic. Give him the same respect as you would any other guy that is getting OJT.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

Lonestar
03-05-2010, 01:27 PM
The media feeds on this crap.

The OLINES policy of years ago was great. Whatever the issuse they just did not feed the fire.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

Northman
03-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Something most of us have been saying all along. It's cool that McD wants to implement his 'own' scheme/philosophy but when it comes to disagreements within the organization they all need to keep it at Dove Valley because like Stink said we can all specualte and blame one side or the other but when it comes down to it, we don't know what really is going on!!

But the sad thing is, not just the BRONCOS or the NFL, every sport has turned to the media whether coach or player to fight their battles which becomes a war/division amongst fans and within the organizations

I dont think it really matters who's at fault. The bottom line is its not a great practice for a HC to make. McD is inexperienced that is for sure but its a pretty big question mark because if he doesnt correct and learn from it we will start to see it spiral out of control and alienate any possibility of keeping players in Denver. Just like no coach likes to be thrown under the bus no player likes to be called out in the media either so lets hope that Josh can learn from this and learn to be a great HC. Time will tell.

silkamilkamonico
03-05-2010, 01:47 PM

How is it a "big issue"? It was really one situation that I can think of. He wasn't the one airing things out in the Cutler situation, that was Cutler. He didn't air out the Marshall suspension in preseason, that was the leaked video. He made the one "questionable" move at the end of season, and that somehow translates into a "big issue"?

I understand that pissed people off, but lets not sit here and pretend there are perfect head coaches in the NFL, because that would be absurd.

Northman
03-05-2010, 02:00 PM
How is it a "big issue"? It was really one situation that I can think of. He wasn't the one airing things out in the Cutler situation, that was Cutler. He didn't air out the Marshall suspension in preseason, that was the leaked video. He made the one "questionable" move at the end of season, and that somehow translates into a "big issue"?

I understand that pissed people off, but lets not sit here and pretend there are perfect head coaches in the NFL, because that would be absurd.

And i said he was inexperienced and will learn from it. So whats your problem? The big issue is that it came later in the year at the worst possible time.

silkamilkamonico
03-05-2010, 02:02 PM
And i said he was inexperienced and will learn from it. So whats your problem? The big issue is that it came later in the year at the worst possible time.

The "big issue" part. A concern about a "questionable" problem is hardly some "big issue". The timing of it doesn't make it a "big issue", especially considering the circumstances.

Is it all of a sudden a "big issue" that Peyton Manning is a poor loser and doesn;t shake hands to congrulate winning teams and class guys like Drew brees?

Denver Native (Carol)
03-05-2010, 02:10 PM

As I posted earlier, there were many positives by Stink in regards to Coach McD, but the one negative is almost the only thing drawing attention :tsk:

Northman
03-05-2010, 02:16 PM
The "big issue" part. A concern about a "questionable" problem is hardly some "big issue". The timing of it doesn't make it a "big issue", especially considering the circumstances.

Is it all of a sudden a "big issue" that Peyton Manning is a poor loser and doesn;t shake hands to congrulate winning teams and class guys like Drew brees?

One is nothing like the other so im not sure why you would use the comparison. When you have a HC you expect more from them than you would from a player. And considering the slide that Denver was on it was the worst possible time for McD to behave like that and considering it happened later than sooner i do see it as a big problem. Look, you can shrug all his nonsense off if you wish i dont care but im just addressing something that Stink brought up that i agree with. I expect more from my HC than that and if you dont thats ok too.

Northman
03-05-2010, 02:17 PM
As I posted earlier, there were many positives by Stink in regards to Coach McD, but the one negative is almost the only thing drawing attention :tsk:

Sorry Carol, i must of missed the "we can only address the positives" from the article. :rolleyes:

Northman
03-05-2010, 02:18 PM

Sorry Carol, i must of missed the "we can only address the positives" from the article. :rolleyes:

Maybe you should clarify that next time.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-05-2010, 02:21 PM

Maybe you should clarify that next time.

Where did I indicate that only the positives could be addressed?

Ziggy
03-05-2010, 02:22 PM
It was a huge mistake that McD made. There's no denying it. Coaches should not air dirty laundry out to the media. They are held to a higher standard than players. That's one of the reasons that they are chosen to lead players. McD had some good and some bad last season. It comes with being a rookie head coach at the age of 33. I expect him to learn from it and grow as a coach.

Northman
03-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Where did I indicate that only the positives could be addressed?

By your constant crying about me addressing the negative. I can read through the whining.

Northman
03-05-2010, 02:24 PM
It was a huge mistake that McD made. There's no denying it. Coaches should not air dirty laundry out to the media. They are held to a higher standard than players. That's one of the reasons that they are chosen to lead players. McD had some good and some bad last season. It comes with being a rookie head coach at the age of 33. I expect him to learn from it and grow as a coach.

careful Ziggy, you might get the :tsk: icon. :lol:

Denver Native (Carol)
03-05-2010, 02:26 PM
By your constant crying about me addressing the negative. I can read through the whining.

I did not quote any of your posts.

Northman
03-05-2010, 02:29 PM
I did not quote any of your posts.

You didnt have too. It was obvious. Thanks for playing.

silkamilkamonico
03-05-2010, 02:31 PM
One is nothing like the other so im not sure why you would use the comparison. When you have a HC you expect more from them than you would from a player. And considering the slide that Denver was on it was the worst possible time for McD to behave like that and considering it happened later than sooner i do see it as a big problem. Look, you can shrug all his nonsense off if you wish i dont care but im just addressing something that Stink brought up that i agree with. I expect more from my HC than that and if you dont thats ok too.

That's a good point. Thanks to Shanahan, this organization has had big issues since the retirement of John Elway.

Northman
03-05-2010, 02:47 PM
That's a good point. Thanks to Shanahan, this organization has had big issues since the retirement of John Elway.

Shanahan did have his faults no doubt, but he also got a pair or rings during that time. When we can say that about McD then we can bring Shanahan back in the arguement.

silkamilkamonico
03-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Shanahan did have his faults no doubt, but he also got a pair or rings during that time. When we can say that about McD then we can bring Shanahan back in the arguement.

I think it's jsut overlooking the last decade because of the 2 SuperBowls, and then criticizing a young coach in 1 year is kind of goofy.

If I would have known I was trading a decade of even good football for 2 SuperBowls, I would have planned to enjoy them a little better. The year after year garbage Shanahan fed the fanbase with his "1 player away" BS, I was over that crap by 2002.

Ravage!!!
03-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Nothing wrong with criticizing the coach during his first year. Just as there, apparently, seems to be nothing wrong with the coach criticizing the player to the media during his first year.

If you are going to have the profession of being an NFL football coach, expect to be criticized...especially when you do something stupid. Young or not, he deserves criticism over it. Jumping to his defense on the matter doesn't take it away, doesn't minimize it, and doesn't make it better. Its certainly not gong to change anyone's mind.

Until McD has proved something as a coach, he's going to get criticism. Any coach gets more criticism until they actually prove something. McD had a very rocky first year with decisions, and he'll have to live with the criticisms that follow those decisions. Thats just part of the job.

Northman
03-05-2010, 03:13 PM
I think it's jsut overlooking the last decade because of the 2 SuperBowls, and then criticizing a young coach in 1 year is kind of goofy.

If I would have known I was trading a decade of even good football for 2 SuperBowls, I would have planned to enjoy them a little better. The year after year garbage Shanahan fed the fanbase with his "1 player away" BS, I was over that crap by 2002.

Dude, no one is above being criticized regardless of tenure. Is it goofy that some people are saying he is the greatest thing since sliced bread? Because if you read some of the comments around here you would think the guy has already won a SB. As far as Shanny's decline i cant argue with that but even then he was still able to put together some winning seasons so it wasnt a total loss. At the end of the day Shanny's message became stale and his reluctance to address the defense more cost him his job in the end. But, i personally just couldnt see canning the guy in 02' because of a couple of down years at that point without a great team but i know what your saying.

claymore
03-05-2010, 03:16 PM
McDaniels doesnt have the resume to make the moves he has made. Thats why he gets criticized.

silkamilkamonico
03-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Dude, no one is above being criticized regardless of tenure. Is it goofy that some people are saying he is the greatest thing since sliced bread? Because if you read some of the comments around here you would think the guy has already won a SB. As far as Shanny's decline i cant argue with that but even then he was still able to put together some winning seasons so it wasnt a total loss. At the end of the day Shanny's message became stale and his reluctance to address the defense more cost him his job in the end. But, i personally just couldnt see canning the guy in 02' because of a couple of down years at that point without a great team but i know what your saying.

Very goofy. Sliced bread isn't even that great.

On a serious note, it's not the problem I have so much with people criticizing McDaniels for what's happened the last year, it's more, where has all this criticizing been for Shanahan in recent years? I've been criticizing the guy since 2003, and all I heard was how I didn't know what I was talking about, Shanahan's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and that I should expect at least 2 more SuperBowls in his time with Denver.

I didn't even get 2 measley playoff wins.

Nomad
03-05-2010, 03:55 PM
McDaniels doesnt have the resume to make the moves he has made. Thats why he gets criticized.

I guess I could say none of us here do either!!:eviltongue:

CoachChaz
03-05-2010, 04:12 PM

Interesting...I didnt realize a head coach had to have an extensive resume before he could run his team and his players the way he sees fit. Must have missed that rule

T.K.O.
03-05-2010, 05:26 PM
did they used to eat loaves of bread whole ?:confused:

e-Lou-sive1
03-05-2010, 05:43 PM
JMD is doing things his way even it means to rebuild the team twice although no one but the organization understand why.It is not hard to see what's going on from our perspective when players have to apologize for a mediocre season and other players have to sit out on a game that could have earned us a playoff spot.

I respect Mark Schlereth and I know that he has to be diplomatic toward the organization without stepping on any toes.He is not the person that would flat out speak their mind and say what he thinks is actually going on and how MCD's inexperience caused the Broncos to lose focus at the end of the season.

JMD is probably going to get his way If Brandon Marshall is picked up by Seattle but what happens during the offseason will impact MCD's career because all eyes will be watching and will be quick to applaude or heckle his decisions.

Ravage!!!
03-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Interesting...I didnt realize a head coach had to have an extensive resume before he could run his team and his players the way he sees fit. Must have missed that rule

He can run it his way, and he is. Bu that doesn't mean he can't be criticized for running it his way. Thats part of the deal, whether you are a first year coach or a 10th. You don't simply get a bye.

dogfish
03-05-2010, 06:03 PM

it's pretty much the opposite of your situation-- you've got a resume that justifies almost any move, but you never make any, you just sit around drunk all day and mate with socks. . . . :drinking:

Dean
03-05-2010, 06:12 PM

I believe where the extensive resume comes in is with job retention. Any coaching job is put up or shut up. I would have thought that as a coach you would be aware of that. It is part and parcel of the job description.

Broncolingus
03-05-2010, 11:01 PM

I think McD has learned some lessons like all first year coaches do...

Here's to a better 10' Bronc's - :beer: