PDA

View Full Version : Broncos 2010 Free Agency

Denver Native (Carol)
03-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Thought it would be good if we could keep the Broncos' 2010 free agency news in one thread. Feel free to add any Broncos' free agency news. Found the following on Vic Lombardi's twitter page:

http://twitter.com/VicLombardi

Confirmed Bronco visits tomorrow: Rex Hadnot, Justin Bannan, Nathan Jones, Tony Pathos....and they're not done yet. More to come.

SBboundBRONCOS
03-05-2010, 11:21 AM
not bad signings but mostly for depth got it on facebook

Buff
03-05-2010, 11:33 AM
I thought Lloyd played pretty well when asked last year. I like him as an experienced #5 WR. I can take or leave Hochstein, but I suppose it never hurts to keep experienced OL depth around.

SBboundBRONCOS
03-05-2010, 11:36 AM
our OL depth was just awful so he just shores it up a bit, hopefully we draft a big young guy somewhere in the middle of the line

T.K.O.
03-05-2010, 11:39 AM
do we have any punters coming in for a look ?:confused:

Ziggy
03-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Not lkely. We signed Colquitt and the kid that played in the preseason for Tennessee last season. Both are promising prospects.

Ziggy
03-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Hochstein's best contributions came before he replaced Hamilton at LG. He was very good as a short yardage and goal line FB.

Elevation inc
03-05-2010, 11:48 AM
this is good news.....lloyd is a solid vet and his maturity is vast improved.....he will give our Wr core good depth....but dont be suprised if we trade marshall to see us start gaffney and lloyd and have royal in the slot on day 1, while we get our rookie wr acclimated from the draft....

as for hochstein i really like the move he is good depth for guard and center which never hurts and the broncos according to rotoworld only owe him the contract if he ends up being healthy, so they basically protect themsleves if he cant come back from his ACL injury.....

xzn
03-05-2010, 11:51 AM
A.J. Trapasso was the kid who pulled off that 50+ yard fake punt that he took all the way to "the house".

I know this much about him, he can run. That's not a bad thing for a punter as long as he can also boot it like a mutha...

MileHighCrew
03-05-2010, 11:53 AM
It isn't that this is bad news, just waiting for something I can get excited about a little bit. This would have been great news on Monday but a little boring for the opening morning of FA

Elevation inc
03-05-2010, 11:58 AM
It isn't that this is bad news, just waiting for something I can get excited about a little bit. This would have been great news on Monday but a little boring for the opening morning of FA

they were already denver players so it seems to me just some routine tidying up....hopefully holliday is next, becasue we arent very smart if we let our best DE go

Denver Native (Carol)
03-05-2010, 12:13 PM

I started the following thread this morning. It shows who the Broncos will bring in so far.

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119867

MileHighCrew
03-05-2010, 12:33 PM
I started the following thread this morning. It shows who the Broncos will bring in so far.

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119867

I saw your thread and it is appricaited, I am just excited.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-05-2010, 12:37 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14516377

By the time the paper hit the driveway and this story hit the Web, the NFL season for improving rosters had begun.

The 2010 free-agent market officially opened at 10:01 p.m. MST on Thursday. Brandon Marshall is still a Bronco, and so now is running back J.J. Arrington. Defensive lineman Justin Bannan, center Rex Hadnot, offensive guard/tackle Tony Pashos and cornerback Nathan Jones could be soon.

Despite grave forecasts of a dull NFL offseason, the Broncos figure to be busier than most teams. One player the Broncos are pursuing is Bannan, the Baltimore Ravens and former University of Colorado defensive lineman.

Bannan, 30, will visit the team today. At 310 pounds, Bannan would give the Broncos the kind of run-stuffer they desperately need.

Hadnot most recently played for the Cleveland Browns and would fill the hole created by the release of Casey Wiegmann. Pashos played for the San Francisco 49ers, and Jones played last season with the Miami Dolphins. All three also visit today.

The Broncos got a quick start on free agency when they signed Arrington, a former Arizona third-down back. And the Broncos in the next few days are expected to sign an interior offensive lineman, a linebacker, a receiver and perhaps one more defensive lineman from free agency.

The Broncos are trying to arrange a visit with Dwan Edwards, another Ravens defensive lineman.

"For some reason, I believe they're going to address what needs to be addressed to make this team better," said Broncos safety Brian Dawkins, headliner of last year's free-agent group. "Call me naive or whatever, but I just have that feeling."

Upstairs at the Broncos' headquarters in Dove Valley, time is on their side. Broncos coach Josh McDaniels was hired Jan. 11 last season, and free agency opened less than two months later.

"Last year we put it all together in rapid fashion," Broncos general manager Brian Xanders said. "This year, we're far, far ahead in terms of time. I think it's going to pay off."

Some of the available unrestricted free agents who could fill the Broncos' needs: offensive guards Bobbie Williams and Stephen Neal; receivers Antwaan Randle-El, Torry Holt, Derrick Mason and Arnaz Battle; linebackers Tully Banta-Cain, Jason Babin and Larry Foote; and defensive lineman Jarvis Green.

The Broncos could lose longtime starting guard Ben Hamilton, defensive end Vonnie Holliday and cornerback Ty Law.

The Broncos' priority this offseason: running the ball, particularly in short-yardage situations, and stopping the run. More specifically, the Broncos want to get bigger at the line of scrimmage, on both sides of the ball.

"Winning football games begins up there," Dawkins said. "A lot of times we get all the credit in the back end. But that's where it starts. If they're dominating up front, they're making our job a lot easier."

It may be a week or two before teams begin to seriously consider acquiring two of the Broncos' restricted free agents, Marshall and tight end Tony Scheffler, via trade.

T.K.O.
03-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Broncos bring back Hochstein, Lloyd
Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2010 12:06 PM ET
At a time when the Denver Broncos are lining up more visits than a helicopter parent with a high school junior, they have struck deals with two of their own players who hit the market.

The team has announced that offensive lineman Russ Hochstein and receiver Brandon Lloyd have signed new contracts.

Both were acquired in 2009. Hochstein came via a trade with the Patriots, and Lloyd was signed as a free agent in June.

Terms are not yet available; Mike Klis of the Denver Post speculates that the players signed one-year contracts for the applicable veteran minimum of $760,000.

T.K.O.
03-05-2010, 12:58 PM
not one report of a team seriously looking at marshall.....kinda strange i think :confused:
the only thing i have heard is the chicago bit,but they dont have the 1st to give us....unless they couple olson and a 3rd .then they would have no picks until the 4th,so not likely.
and i doubt we would pull the trigger on that deal anyway.
still a bit surprising that there are not even "rumors" flying around about interested teams

Nomad
03-05-2010, 01:02 PM
not one report of a team seriously looking at marshall.....kinda strange i think :confused:
the only thing i have heard is the chicago bit,but they dont have the 1st to give us....unless they couple olson and a 3rd .then they would have no picks until the 4th,so not likely.
still a bit surprising that there are not even "rumors" flying around about interested teams

I believe Marshall will be the last resort for teams. Hell even the Ravens are entertaining Owens before Marshall!

Kinda a boring start to FA if you ask me around the league!!

T.K.O.
03-05-2010, 01:12 PM
I believe Marshall will be the last resort for teams. Hell even the Ravens are entertaining Owens before Marshall!

Kinda a boring start to FA if you ask me around the league!!

agreed....but i think teams that are looking at owens over marshall is a direct reflection of the fact that owens will take a 1 year deal in a heartbeat and marshall wants a multi/mega deal !
if the cba was in place the it would be a no brainer to go after marshall before a guy like owens

Biz1
03-05-2010, 02:35 PM

The same source that broke the Peppers deal is now reporting the Bears are going after Marshall.

LTC Pain
03-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Didn't Hochstein tear an ACL toward the end of last season? When's he gonna be ready to play again?

broncophan
03-05-2010, 02:38 PM
A.J. Trapasso was the kid who pulled off that 50+ yard fake punt that he took all the way to "the house".

I know this much about him, he can run. That's not a bad thing for a punter as long as he can also boot it like a mutha...

Trapasso was a helluva punter for Ohio St........hope he does well for the broncos.....we sure need a consistant punter....
Seems to me he averaged 40+yards.......had to be a good punter to play for tressel and "tressel ball.".......Pretty sure he was national special teams player of the year.....and a Ray Guy award finalist one year as well....

Ziggy
03-05-2010, 03:11 PM
The same source that broke the Peppers deal is now reporting the Bears are going after Marshall.

The Bears don't have a 1st round pick. They'd better come in with one heck of a trade offer.

Buff
03-05-2010, 03:19 PM
The Bears don't have a 1st round pick.

...Or a second rounder.

They have absolutely no shot at landing Marshall. Zero.

T.K.O.
03-05-2010, 03:34 PM
the rams just sigen aj feeley to a 2 yr 6mil deal +

underrated29
03-05-2010, 05:03 PM
good let them keep signing those QBs. Weather we get the #6 or not I want bradford!!!

Ziggy
03-05-2010, 06:38 PM
The Nuggets play at home tonight. I wonder how many new and future Broncos will be in attendance.

rationalfan
03-05-2010, 06:43 PM
no idea how good this kid is.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/03/05/broncos-bannan-agree-on-5-year-deal/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+dp-blogs-broncos+(Denver+Post:+Sports:+Broncos:+Blog)

dogfish
03-05-2010, 06:48 PM
solid depth/rotational utility DL with experience in both 30 and 40 fronts. . .

Traveler
03-05-2010, 06:48 PM
New starting NT?

tsiguy96
03-05-2010, 06:54 PM
exactly what this team needs, a solid starter/rotational guy. high motor, typical ravens dlineman

topscribe
03-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Reports are the Ravens think a lot of Bannon. If that is true, then being well
thought of by the likes of the Ravens is quite enough for me . . .

-----

rationalfan
03-05-2010, 07:05 PM
sounds like the broncos could be landing another raven lineman:

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/03/bannan_visiting_broncos_edwards_could_be_next.html

Ziggy
03-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Depth for the Ravens, starting DE for us.

spikerman
03-05-2010, 07:09 PM
uh oh. If he's the projected starter I have a feeling we're looking at another patchwork line.

elsid13
03-05-2010, 07:15 PM
He's solid professional, but nothing special.

honz
03-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Just put him in the bag.

dogfish
03-05-2010, 07:20 PM
uh oh. If he's the projected starter I have a feeling we're looking at another patchwork line.

didn't you already know that?

unless we want to get into the RFA market, there is zero defensive line help available in FA this year. . .

doesn't mean i love it, but there's not much we can do about it. . . .

hopefully we add some DL talent in the draft. . .

Ziggy
03-05-2010, 07:23 PM
He may not be a star, but he's better than what we have now. It's a solid improvement, especially against the run.

xzn
03-05-2010, 08:44 PM
I love that they are at least trying to get more bulk and mass up front on both lines.

WHERE'S THE BEEF?!?!

LRtagger
03-05-2010, 09:03 PM

What would you propose we do?

Italianmobstr7
03-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Hope we get Dwan Edwards too. He replaced T. Pryce midway through last year, would be a solid addition.

tsiguy96
03-05-2010, 09:10 PM
we also signed CB nathan jones. i dont think its any gaurantee he makes it out of camp though. replaces ty law?

Italianmobstr7
03-05-2010, 09:11 PM
According to Frank Schwab of the Colorado Springs Gazette on Twitter. Here's his actual post:

fs3142
Broncos sign CB Nathan Jones, too. A Smith will have to have a good camp now, pressure's on.

tsiguy96
03-05-2010, 09:13 PM
wonder if smith really sucks this year, if mcdaniels would have the balls to cut him. would show hes not afraid to admit when he made a mistake atleast. well see what happens...hopefully smith steps up soon.

Italianmobstr7
03-05-2010, 09:16 PM
He was a rookie man... Gotta give him more than a year.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-05-2010, 09:23 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=338&storyID=9949

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Denver Broncos on Friday agreed to terms with unrestricted free agent defensive lineman Justin Bannan and cornerback Nathan Jones, it was announced. As per club policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.

“We are excited with these two additions and expect Justin Bannan and Nathan Jones to make positive contributions to the Broncos both on the field and in the locker room,” Head Coach Josh McDaniels said. “Justin will fit into our scheme very well, and having played his college ball at Colorado, he’s thrilled to return to this state as a Bronco. Nathan’s versatility in the secondary will make us better. He is a quality player who is eager to compete and make an impact on this team.”

General Manager Brian Xanders added, “Besides being a quality football player who is versatile, tough and smart, Justin Bannan is a quality person. He is the type of player we are looking for as we build our football team. Nathan Jones has experience playing outside cornerback, nickel cornerback and safety. He makes plays on defense and has been a core contributor on special teams.”

Bannan (6-foot-3, 310 pounds) is a ninth-year defensive lineman who played for Baltimore during the last four years after spending his first four NFL seasons with Buffalo. He was selected by the Bills in the fifth round (139th overall) of the 2002 NFL Draft from the University of Colorado.

In 113 career regular-season games (27 starts), Bannan has posted 230 tackles (138 solo), 5.5 sacks (28.5 yds.), one interception, three pass breakups, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery. He also has registered 12 tackles (10 solo) in five postseason games (2 starts).

During the 2009 season, Bannan played all 16 games for the second consecutive season and registered 37 tackles (23 solo) for the Ravens. He also appeared in both postseason contests for Baltimore, contributing one solo tackle.

Bannan started a career-high 15 games and appeared in all 16 contests for the Ravens in 2008, totaling a personal-best 56 tackles (30 solo), one sack, one interception and three pass breakups. His play helped Baltimore rank second in the NFL in total defense and third in the league against the run.

A four-year starter at Colorado, Bannan attended Bella Vista High School in Fair Oaks, Calif., and was born on April 18, 1979.

Jones (5-foot-10, 185 pounds) is a seventh-year cornerback who appeared in every game during the last two seasons with Miami after spending his first four NFL seasons with Dallas. He was selected by the Cowboys in the seventh round (205th overall) of the 2004 NFL Draft from Rutgers University.

In 83 career regular-season games (7 starts), Jones has totaled 104 tackles (91 solo), six sacks (34 yds.), three interceptions, 13 pass breakups, three forced fumbles and one fumble recovery. He owns 53 career tackles on special teams and has returned 10 kickoffs for 178 yards (17.8 avg.).

The cornerback also has appeared in three playoff games for his career, registering two defensive tackles, four special-teams tackles and two kickoff returns for 45 yards (22.5 avg.).

Last season, Jones appeared in all 16 games for the Dolphins and registered career highs in games started (5), tackles (35), pass breakups (10), special-teams tackles (19) and forced fumbles (2). Jones, whose 19 special-teams tackles tied for 10th in the NFL, also added one sack with Miami in 2009.

A four-year letterwinner at Rutgers, Jones attended Fanwood High School in Scotch Plains, N.J., and was born on June 15, 1982.

spikerman
03-05-2010, 09:35 PM
What would you propose we do?

I'm not against the signing, but the fact that it's already anticipated that he'll be the starter tells me that the Broncos may not emphasize dline in the draft as much as I had hoped.

arapaho2
03-05-2010, 09:36 PM
He was a rookie man... Gotta give him more than a year.

he also was a rookie who costed a 14th overall 1st round pick....you expect him to show something more then he did

silkamilkamonico
03-05-2010, 09:42 PM
ASmith got beat out by undrafted rookie free agent Tony Carter by the end of year, didn't he?

LRtagger
03-05-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm not against the signing, but the fact that it's already anticipated that he'll be the starter tells me that the Broncos may not emphasize dline in the draft as much as I had hoped.

I'm not sure how it could tell you anything about the draft. You go after the guys in FA that fit needs and your system. You have to look at free agency completely seperate from the draft.

McDaniels will approach the draft as a BPA pool. Picking up people that will work for us in FA allows us to get the players we want without having to reach. But it doesn't mean that we wont be drafting any DL talent.

dogfish
03-05-2010, 10:04 PM
we also signed CB nathan jones. i dont think its any gaurantee he makes it out of camp though. replaces ty law?

i hear we're also looking at cornerbacks mike davis, pete smith and john doe. . .

Broncolingus
03-05-2010, 10:57 PM
sounds like the broncos could be landing another raven lineman:

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/03/bannan_visiting_broncos_edwards_could_be_next.html

...at least he's not a 'Browns' lineman.

I'm more optomistic as the Raven's seem to always be solid (starters and reserves) in the DL...

rationalfan
03-05-2010, 11:12 PM
uh, wasn't this thread about nathan jones? so, how good is he?

Broncolingus
03-05-2010, 11:32 PM
I was following this until I got to the 'CougarLife.com' ad at the bottom of the thread and lost all thought to something else...

What were we talking about?

silkamilkamonico
03-05-2010, 11:32 PM

Most likely your average NFL nickel CB.

JDL
03-05-2010, 11:55 PM

Better than A. Smith apparently ;)

JDL
03-05-2010, 11:59 PM
He may not be a star, but he's better than what we have now. It's a solid improvement, especially against the run.

This...

We're trying to improve from atrocious... KP and the other DL are overachievers... and when push comes to shove... they get pushed... but they work hard and hard to fault guys YOU, I THEY EVERYONE knows don't have the talent to hold up... they are depth guys. This is a step up from that, but the same idea. I like the move though.

Keep in mind these are not GREAT FAs ... if you get ANYONE who is productive and not wasting a roster spot/opportunity like Arrington is... then you are ahead of the game... good pickup.

Poindexter
03-06-2010, 02:03 AM
Our last D pickup from Miami (V. Holliday) turned out to play well. Hopefully that trend can continue with Jones.

xzn
03-06-2010, 03:36 AM
So, does anyone have an informed take on the likelihood of Bannan playing NT or 34DE?

He seems a little small to be a starting NT, but has above average mass and proven effectiveness as a five technique. Sounds like a power base left end to me...

I still want a zero tech, two-gap, block eating, toilet clogger like Jaamal Williams, Dan Williams, or Terrence Cody.

Ziggy
03-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Seattle hosts trio of free agents, including Dwan Edwards
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 6, 2010 8:30 AM ET
The Broncos hoped to host Ravens defensive end Dwan Edwards Friday, but his trip got diverted Northwest at some point.

Edwards spent the day in Seattle, near where he went to college at Oregon State. Edwards played defensive end in Baltimore, but he would be a tackle in Seattle. He's one of the few decent young linemen available. (His teammate, Justin Bannan, already signed in Denver.)

Other players scheduled to visit Seattle according to the Seattle Times include Panthers defensive end Tyler Brayton and Broncos guard Ben Hamilton.

Maybe Hamilton and Brandon Marshall can carpool Saturday.

Nomad
03-06-2010, 09:10 AM
What a nice day to be in Seattle!! It'll be sunny and 57, Marshall and Hamilton can hit Pioneer Square later this evening without having to fight the rain!!

Here's a pretty good write up from last night and something most of us already know but it doesn't mention anything about players who are one mug shot from a half a season suspension. Oh well, we'll see who'll take the chance on Marshall!!

__________________________________________________ ___

Teams should gladly give up first-round picks for proven wideouts
Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2010 11:31 PM ET
Peter Warrick. Travis Taylor. Sylvester Morris. R. Jay Soward.

David Terrell. Koren Robinson. Rod Gardner. Freddie Mitchell.

Donte' Stallworth. Ashley Lelie. Javon Walker.

Charles Rogers. Bryant Johnson.

Reggie Williams. Michael Clayton. Michael Jenkins. Rashaun Woods.

Troy Williamson. Mike Williams. Matt Jones.

Ted Ginn. Dwayne Bowe. Robert Meachem. Craig Davis.

Darrius Heyward-Bey.

The names become a blur of mediocrity and unfulfilled potential. Each are receivers who were first-round picks in the past 10 drafts. None ever performed like Brandon Marshall, Miles Austin, and Vincent Jackson.

We mention those three because any one of these restricted free agents can be had via a first-round pick (and, for Austin and Jackson, a third-round pick, too). The same first-round picks that over the past decade have become players like Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, and Reggie Williams.

So why not view Marshall, Austin, or Jackson as a player who was obtained via a first-round pick? That's what the Vikings did two years ago when acquiring defensive end Jared Allen from the Chiefs, and the Vikings presumably have no regrets.

It's therefore no surprise that the Seahawks are bringing in Marshall on Saturday, and we wonder how long it will be before Austin and Jackson are courted by other teams that need pass-catches.

The logic applies to all positions. Why take a chance on a rookie who might never become anything other than a guy who once was a great college football player? If the goal is to use the draft pick to get a good player, it makes more sense to use the draft pick on a player that we already know will be good.

The argument gets stronger for teams picking lower in a given round. If Colts president Bill Polian thinks his offensive line needs an upgrade, he should present an offer sheet to Chargers left tackle Marcus McNeill. Polian would get a quality linemen in exchange for the 31st and 93rd picks in the annual NFL crapshoot.

Throw in the poison pill, which if done properly makes it impossible (or, more accurately, ridiculously expensive in terms of guaranteed money) for the current team to match the deal.

Before citing the reality that this year's crop of rookies is deeper and more talented than in past seasons, there still will be plenty of busts. And no one knows who'll they'll be.

Given that reality, the safest move is to use those picks on guys who have already shown that they are capable of making the transition to the highest level of the game.

Especially in an offseason with a depleted crop of unrestricted free agents.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2010, 10:26 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14523027

Josh McDaniels clearly has grown tired of watching his team get pushed around.

As the free-agency period opened late Thursday night and continued Friday, the Broncos began making some big moves.

Or, at the very least, moves to get bigger.

Two of the first players contacted by the Broncos, center Rex Hadnot and tackle/guard Tony Pashos, would provide substantial beef at the line of scrimmage.

These aren't big-name, splashy moves that match the megadeals done elsewhere (such as with Julius Peppers in Chicago) on Friday, yet the Broncos have made clear their offseason plan is to bulk up in order to fix a core weakness from 2009.

As the Broncos lost eight of their final 10 games last season, they consistently struggled to run the ball in short-yardage situations.

Hadnot, who also plays guard, weighs 320 pounds, a 35-pound increase from former Broncos center Casey Wiegmann. Offensive tackle Pashos is 326 pounds, 25 pounds heavier than both right tackle Ryan Harris and Tyler Polumbus, who replaced Harris in the second half of 2009 when Harris was injured.

Signed.

Last year, the Broncos decided to bring back only one of their unrestricted free agents.

On the first full day of free agency this year, they re-signed two: guard Russ Hochstein and wide receiver Brandon Lloyd.

Hochstein started 10 games in 2009 and is spending his offseason in Denver while recovering from knee surgery. Hochstein was injured in the second-to-last game of the season. Hochstein, first acquired by Denver in a trade with New England in August, adds depth to the line and ensures the Broncos have experience in the power run-blocking scheme McDaniels plans to employ in 2010.

Lloyd also has been retained to add depth to the receiver corps. Lloyd did not dress for the first 14 games of 2009, but in the final two games, while filling in for injured Eddie Royal, Lloyd caught eight passes for 117 yards.

Hamilton visits.

Until late Thursday evening, Ben Hamilton was the longest-tenured Bronco.

On Friday, with his contract with the Broncos officially expired, Hamilton agreed to visit the Seattle Seahawks.

Hamilton spent nine seasons in Denver after being drafted by the Broncos in 2001. But 2009 was rough for Hamilton, who was demoted midseason.

Hamilton, 6-4, 290, is built for a zone blocking scheme and is likely to extend his career by playing center elsewhere. If he signs with Seattle, he will be reunited with former Broncos offensive assistant coaches Jeremy Bates and Jedd Fisch.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2010, 10:37 AM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/jsaccomano/prep-time-matters-in-free-agency/

Now that all the National Football League teams are into full blown free agency for 2010, I would like to point out a small factor that really is not so small for the Denver Broncos.

Every part of every season happens each year, from the games themselves to the off-season creation of the team. We all know that during the season, with the exception of the bye week, each team has a week to prepare for its game, and the game comes on Sunday (or Monday) whether you are ready or not. So sometimes, due to injuries or other unforeseen events, like the weather, a team can only get so ready. But it has to play on Sunday no matter how ready it is, so the value of and proper use of preparation time is vital.

So too is the off season player acquisition phase of the business.

Both Head Coach Josh McDaniels and General Manager Brian Xanders are very meticulous and organized men with a great passion for what they do.

Most fans do not get a chance to meet them personally, but I have been in this game a long time and I have seen some real characters. I have also seen top flight individuals and Josh and Brian are in that category, absolutely.

But there are only 24 hours in a day, 168 hours in a week.

Last year when they took over their roles the clock was already running.

Remember, Josh had to do every single detail that goes into being a head coach. He had to hire a staff, establish his own policies and procedures, evaluate the entire team which he had just taken over, and begin the process of looking at other players, both collegians and pro free agents, as well.

And even though Brian had already been on staff, he too had to make myriad adjustments, working with Josh on meeting after meeting as they began to determine what kind of player fit what they were trying to build.

But meanwhile, the clocked on, and it greatly favored teams that had been in pace for a long time regarding personnel decisions.

This year, with every member of the personnel evaluation team (way beyond the GM and head coach) having been in place for a year now, this makes a huge difference in your preparation for scouting and free agency. The time really does matter, and a lot.

It is somewhat like operating a restaurant and doing some remodeling. We have all entered a business that featured the little signs that say “Pardon our dust, we’re remodeling.” Of course, no problem. But it is difficult to be 100% into remodeling and still take care of all your present customers who just want their food. They really don’t care that you are remodeling.

The NFL schedule is like that as well.

It does not care if you are remodeling. Somebody is always remodeling. The challenge for any team is to play while you build. When looked at that way, last year’s 8-8 should be viewed in a very positive light, I believe.

Certainly, we all want more, always. Owner, coach, team, fans, press, we perpetually want more. But last year’s record, and the roster that made the won-lost record, was done during the most extensive remodeling process that the Broncos have undergone in a decade and a half.

This year, everything is in place right now.

I do not know who we have targeted or who we will sign, but I know the key players in the unfolding story of free agency have had a year to get ready, as opposed to six weeks.

There is an old saying that you cannot waste time without damaging eternity.

Time matters, and in this case the preparation time which the Broncos have had could yield big benefits in 2010 free agency.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2010, 11:44 AM
http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=951721&nid=4367089&fhn=1

DEN: LB Visit Scheduled
by Ed Thompson of ScoutNFLNetwork.com, March 6, 2010 at 10:55am ET

Marques Murrell Profile

Scout.com has been told by an NFL source that unrestricted free agent Marques Murrell has a visit scheduled with the Denver Broncos.

During his first three seasons in the league, the 6-foot-2, 250-pound linebacker has appeared in 26 games, making 17 special teams tackles and another 21 tackles from the linebacker position.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2010, 03:02 PM
http://den.scout.com/2/951752.html

Hochstein (6-foot-4, 305 pounds) is a 10th-year offensive lineman who played in 15 games (10 starts) in his first season with the Broncos in 2009 after he was acquired from New England in a trade on Aug. 25.

He has seen action in 121 career regular-season and playoff games, including 35 starts at five different positions.

Lloyd (6-foot-0, 194 pounds), who originally was signed by the Broncos on June 15, 2009, is an eighth-year wide receiver who played in two contests during the 2009 season, including a start in Denver’s regular-season finale against Kansas City.

He has played in 81 career regular-season games (48 starts) and has totaled 164 receptions for 2,370 yards (14.5 avg.) with 15 touchdowns.

SoCalImport
03-06-2010, 03:17 PM
any one of these restricted free agents can be had via a first-round pick (and, for Austin and Jackson, a third-round pick, too).

I can't be the only one here that takes notice that Austin could potentially become a Bronco.
I love the way the guy plays. Runs great routes and just gets open! then can run away from most of the D.
If we're not keeping Brandon (and we're not) I'd love to see JMD and Xanders make a play for Austin.

broncofaninfla
03-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Uhhh..... Why did we resign Hochstien? His play in 2009 was nothing short of pathetic. He flopped last season, why do they think this season will be any better?

Northman
03-06-2010, 03:28 PM
I can't be the only one here that takes notice that Austin could potentially become a Bronco.
I love the way the guy plays. Runs great routes and just gets open! then can run away from most of the D.
If we're not keeping Brandon (and we're not) I'd love to see JMD and Xanders make a play for Austin.

My only problem is that Austin would go to waste in this offense right now. Austin is a burner but needs to have a QB who can hit him in stride to allow him to flourish in the offense. He's not a big guy so we still need a possession receiver in case Brandon is traded away. I would love to have him here but i just feel his services would go to waste based off what ive seen this offense do.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2010, 05:17 PM
http://twitter.com/ColoSportsDesk/statuses/10090754775

Come Back Rex! RT @JosinaAnderson Fox31 Alert : Source: Free agent C Rex Hadnot has left Denver without signing a deal at this time.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2010, 09:48 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/06/dwan-edwards-to-visit-broncos/

After sleeping in Seattle Friday night, Dwan Edwards is headed to the Rockies.

The Denver Post reports the defensive end will visit with the Broncos Saturday and Sunday, possibly setting up a reunion with his former Ravens teammate Justin Bannan.

Bannan signed quickly in Denver to play nose tackle, and Edwards could be the next piece to Denver's remodeling of their defensive line. The Broncos defense did fairly well with a no-name group in 2008, but wore down late in the season.

Baltimore appeared to want to keep both Bannan and Edwards, but it appears they well get outspent.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2010, 11:38 PM
San Francisco right tackle Tony Pashos has yet to make it to Denver. A visit was agreed upon Thursday but apparently negotiations with the 6-6, 325-pound unrestricted free agent have bogged down. Pashos visited Friday with the Washington Redskins but left without a deal.

The Broncos are hosting Baltimore defensive end Dwan Edwards for a visit this weekend.

T.K.O.
03-07-2010, 12:48 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/06/dwan-edwards-to-visit-broncos/

After sleeping in Seattle Friday night, Dwan Edwards is headed to the Rockies.

The Denver Post reports the defensive end will visit with the Broncos Saturday and Sunday, possibly setting up a reunion with his former Ravens teammate Justin Bannan.

Bannan signed quickly in Denver to play nose tackle, and Edwards could be the next piece to Denver's remodeling of their defensive line. The Broncos defense did fairly well with a no-name group in 2008, but wore down late in the season.

Baltimore appeared to want to keep both Bannan and Edwards, but it appears they well get outspent.
he will sign....nice early moves by the FO ! bring on the BEEF !

honz
03-07-2010, 02:53 PM
he will sign....nice early moves by the FO ! bring on the BEEF !

It's what's for dinner.

Nomad
03-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Pashos is a Cleveland Brown!!

broncofaninfla
03-08-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm still bothered by the Hochstien signing. The guy already auditioned for us last year and stunk it up. Why are we wasting money and a roster spot on this scrub?

Traveler
03-08-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm still bothered by the Hochstien signing. The guy already auditioned for us last year and stunk it up. Why are we wasting money and a roster spot on this scrub?

Money isn' guaranteed until the season begins. He just camp fodder and because his injury won't be fully healed by the start of TC, I doubt he'll see any of that money.

Ziggy
03-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Dwan Edwards leaves Denver without deal
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 8, 2010 10:43 AM ET
I ranked Ravens defensive tackle in my top-ten unrestricted free agents, so it didn't surprise me that he's received so much early interest.

It's more surprising that Edwards has visited two places (Seattle and Denver) and has yet to sign a contract.

Edwards completed his visit with the Broncos Sunday, and it "doesn't appear" there will be a deal, according to Mike Klis of the Denver Post.

Teams may be hesitant to hand Edwards the money he's looking for because of a spinal fusion surgery he underwent in 2008.

CoachChaz
03-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Dwan Edwards leaves Denver without deal
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 8, 2010 10:43 AM ET
I ranked Ravens defensive tackle in my top-ten unrestricted free agents, so it didn't surprise me that he's received so much early interest.

It's more surprising that Edwards has visited two places (Seattle and Denver) and has yet to sign a contract.

Edwards completed his visit with the Broncos Sunday, and it "doesn't appear" there will be a deal, according to Mike Klis of the Denver Post.

Teams may be hesitant to hand Edwards the money he's looking for because of a spinal fusion surgery he underwent in 2008.

I'm okay with not overpaying for unproven commodities

Slick
03-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Has the Bannan deal been finalized, and are we excited about it?

SOCALORADO.
03-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Can we get an update on all the players signed by DEN as of Monday morning?
I was busy all weekend and i was only able to see the short list of big signings.
Anyone?

CoachChaz
03-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Can we get an update on all the players signed by DEN as of Monday morning?
I was busy all weekend and i was only able to see the short list of big signings.
Anyone?

Same number that was signed by Friday evening

SOCALORADO.
03-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Same number that was signed by Friday evening

So just Bannan
hock
jj
lloyd

Traveler
03-08-2010, 12:56 PM
So just Bannan
hock
jj
lloyd

...and Nathan Jones

broncofaninfla
03-08-2010, 02:24 PM
I'm not certain Bannan will be used at NT. I know a majority of the press reports have slotted him there but I wouldn't be surprsied to seem at DE, especially if Baker comes on strong and makes his case to be the starting NT this season.

SOCALORADO.
03-08-2010, 02:45 PM
I'm not certain Bannan will be used at NT. I know a majority of the press reports have slotted him there but I wouldn't be surprsied to seem at DE, especially if Baker comes on strong and makes his case to be the starting NT this season.

You know its funny, but i think Nolan used Fields at DE occasionally too.
So feasibly DEN could have a line up of
Fields RDE
Baker NT
Bannan LDE

Huh.

Ziggy
03-08-2010, 03:10 PM
I think Bannan spends most of his time at DE also. l sure wish I knew what this coaching staff thinks of Chris Baker.

xzn
03-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Bannan has ideal bulk for a run-stopping five technique LDE but is only adequate size for a zero or one technique NT. Still, if we can't come up with a better answer he may play there. I think Fields stays in a rotation at NT and have hopes for Baker. If we get Jamaal Willliams for a couple of years it would buy us time to develop Baker and allow Bannan to play his better position, perhaps backed-up by Marcus Thomas.

Jarvis Green would look good for our RDE spot in rotation with Mc Bean and Peterson.

Lonestar
03-08-2010, 09:03 PM
I think Bannan spends most of his time at DE also. l sure wish I knew what this coaching staff thinks of Chris Baker.

I'd guess for now he is to cheap to cut. let us see if he develops or not.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-08-2010, 10:26 PM
You know its funny, but i think Nolan used Fields at DE occasionally too.
So feasibly DEN could have a line up of
Fields RDE
Baker NT
Bannan LDE

Huh.

Rotation. Rotation. Rotation.

Bannan, Green, Jamal Williams, Fields, Baker, Peterson, McBean, rookie

All these dudes will play all over the dline...including some time from Reid. Keep the Dline fresh and we'll be stronger in the 4th quarter.

Lonestar
03-09-2010, 02:38 AM
Rotation. Rotation. Rotation.

Bannan, Green, Jamal Williams, Fields, Baker, Peterson, McBean, rookie

All these dudes will play all over the dline...including some time from Reid. Keep the Dline fresh and we'll be stronger in the 4th quarter.

I want them fresh in games 12 thru 19

Traveler
03-09-2010, 06:50 AM
Lombardi: Bengals won’t spend to get Marshall

Michael Lombardi, The National Football Post
Mar 8, 12:04 pm EST

Usually, after the first weekend of free agency, the big money spending is over and players without the expected big contracts start to get a little nervous. As a fan, just because your favorite team hasn’t been active at the beginning of free agency, it doesn’t mean it won’t be making moves; it just won’t be making expensive moves. Here are more of my thoughts from the first weekend:

Brandon Marshall of the Broncos would make sense to many teams picking at the bottom of the first round, and clearly he would improve the Bengals. I’m sure the team’s coaches would agree with his assessment, but the Bengals front office will shy away from spending the money. There’s no wide receiver in this draft the Bengals could pick that could make a significant impact to their team like Marshall….

The Tim Tebow private workouts begin, with the Bills and Seahawks the first to visit the Florida campus. Expect the Panthers and the Broncos to follow. In a private workout setting, Tebow will be revealed as teams make him throw their route tree and in their rhythm of offense….

The Jags giving Aaron Kampman more than $11 million in guarantee is a surprise, but those guarantees have to be time sensitive and protect the club if his knee doesn’t respond in time. The Jags are confident Kampman will be ready for the beginning of camp, but being ready and being back to his normal playing level are quite different….

If I were a team in the AFC South, I would sign Jim Sorgi(notes), the former Colts backup quarterback. He’s had inside access to the Colts’ methodology of offense, and he could really provide assistance on and off the field….

Shaun Hill’s tenure with the 49ers might be over now that former Texans quarterback David Carr has signed with San Francisco. Playing behind the 49ers offensive line might get Carr sacked again if he plays. The 49ers have to fix that line before they can take the next step. They allowed 40 sacks last year….

Ryan Clark of the Steelers is in Miami, and I expect him to be signed some time today as the Dolphins need economic value at safety since releasing the overpaid Gibril Wilson. As I wrote the other day, and as Antrel Rolle confirmed, the Fins were never involved in pursuing his services because he was viewed as too expensive….

The Browns took a huge plunge into free agency Sunday, signing Scott Fuijta of the Saints and Tony Pashos of the 49ers. Fuijta got such a strong offer from the Browns that he had no choice but to take the deal. The Saints were never going to be in that market….

Not sure how former Jets wide receiver Laveranues Coles could help the Jets offense since he was no help to the Bengals. At this point in his career, Coles lacks burst in and out of his cuts to separate. He’ll have a hard time improving the Jets if he signs with them….

Why would the Lions trade for corner Chris Houston when the Falcons, who need corners, are willing to trade him? Well, Houston needs to play press corner and has to be able to get his hands on wide receivers, which fits the Lions’ Cover 2 scheme more than it does the Falcons. This is all about scheme fit.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AhmKeoWNZY00Z15uStgQky9DubYF?slug=nfp-lombardi_bengals_wont_spend_to_get_marshall_html-201038&prov=nfp&type=lgns

T.K.O.
03-10-2010, 12:13 PM
...and Nathan Jones

i think nate was brought in to replace ty law,law had a paltry 9 solo tackles and 1 int last year...thats pretty bad when champ is on the other side.
bye bye ty !

Traveler
03-10-2010, 01:34 PM
I now need them to acquire a "NOT" thirty something player at the Center position.

Lonestar
03-10-2010, 02:04 PM
i think nate was brought in to replace ty law,law had a paltry 9 solo tackles and 1 int last year...thats pretty bad when champ is on the other side.
bye bye ty !

Got to be fair here just how many plays was he in on as a nickel CB and how many games did he play in.

I'm not advocating keeping him but not like he played a whole season opposite Champ

Denver Native (Carol)
03-10-2010, 06:51 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/03/10/broncos-release-guard-erickson/

My colleague Jeff Legwold was out hustling through the Colorado State Pro Day today when he came across word that the Broncos had just released guard Mitch Erickson, who had spent the past two seasons on Denver’s practice squad.

Just talked to Erickson’s agent, Tom Mills, and he said the Broncos were fair in that because they are going to a new blocking style that is more about power and brute strength, the team felt it was best for the former South Dakota State, and still promising guard to catch on elsewhere. Erickson is big at 6-5, but 286 pounds isn’t the Broncos’ kind of blocker anymore. Only 300 pounds-plus need apply.

Legwold was going to attend the University of Colorado’s Pro Day but he received word their best NFL prospect, 6-3, 260-pound tight end Riar Geer wasn’t going to run. Geer decided to rest on his combine performance. He was second among tight ends in the 20-yard shuttle with a time of 4.29 seconds.

The CU player who most helped himself on Pro Day was cornerback Ben Burney, son of longtime former Broncos’ defensive line coach Jacob Burney. Ben Burney clocked a 4.38 seconds time in the 40.

Traveler
03-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Sorry if this has already been posted
--------------------------------------------------------------
Sources: Broncos Indicate They'll Honor Champ Bailey's Contract
03/04/10, 1:49 p.m. MST

For any Denver Broncos fan fathoming the slightest concern that the organization could consider trading cornerback Champ Bailey, or could irritate the nine time Pro Bowler by merely asking him to take a pay cut, rest assured that isn’t the case--for now.

Thursday morning, sources indicated to Fox31’s Josina Anderson that the Broncos have given early “good faith” indications that they intend to “honor” the last year of Bailey’s seven-year $63 million contract.

On Mar.7, Bailey is due a $3 million roster bonus, and the expectation is that he should be collecting it in full.

Couple that with the $9.5 million base salary Bailey is set to earn this upcoming season, and the $500,000 workout bonus on top of that, Bailey’s total tops out at $13 million for this year.

As a result of that, there was chatter surfacing in advance of the NFL scouting combine, and at the event as well, about the Broncos giving the impression that they were a bit hesitant to pay the 31 year-old veteran that sum of money given his age and his peak chart.

Last season, Bailey was the 4th leading tackler on the team with 74 total tackles, but he led his position at that total.

By comparison, Bailey’s production picked up under the Mike Nolan regime with three interceptions and 74 total tackles, up from one interception and 44 total tackles the season before.

However, Bailey is four complete seasons removed from his most productive year when he had 10 interceptions and 85 total tackles in 2006. Certainly it must also be taken into consideration that Bailey is set to play under his 5th defensive coordinator going into his 7th season in Denver.

Taking everything into account, sources told Anderson early last week that the Broncos had not yet conveyed a 100 percent assurance of their intentions to their nine-time Pro Bowler.

Not to mention Fox31 sports was hearing that other agents are “set” to entice the Broncos with the prospect of their younger defensive backs.

However, now the indication is that confidence has measurably grown in Bailey’s camp over the Broncos’ immediate plans with him.

Hopefully the team is smart enough not to ponder otherwise any longer

http://community.kdvr.com/_Sources-Broncos-indicate-theyll-honor-last-year-of-Champ-Baileys-deal/BLOG/1931892/96399.html?widgetId=216686

claymore
03-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Wow... I say I wont be suprised but then... something like this... Bailey is NOT worth that muc money.

T.K.O.
03-11-2010, 11:37 AM

For any Denver Broncos fan fathoming the slightest concern that the organization could consider trading cornerback Champ Bailey, or could irritate the nine time Pro Bowler by merely asking him to take a pay cut, rest assured that isn’t the case--for now.

Thursday morning, sources indicated to Fox31’s Josina Anderson that the Broncos have given early “good faith” indications that they intend to “honor” the last year of Bailey’s seven-year $63 million contract.

On Mar.7, Bailey is due a $3 million roster bonus, and the expectation is that he should be collecting it in full.

Couple that with the $9.5 million base salary Bailey is set to earn this upcoming season, and the $500,000 workout bonus on top of that, Bailey’s total tops out at $13 million for this year.

As a result of that, there was chatter surfacing in advance of the NFL scouting combine, and at the event as well, about the Broncos giving the impression that they were a bit hesitant to pay the 31 year-old veteran that sum of money given his age and his peak chart.

Last season, Bailey was the 4th leading tackler on the team with 74 total tackles, but he led his position at that total.

By comparison, Bailey’s production picked up under the Mike Nolan regime with three interceptions and 74 total tackles, up from one interception and 44 total tackles the season before.

However, Bailey is four complete seasons removed from his most productive year when he had 10 interceptions and 85 total tackles in 2006. Certainly it must also be taken into consideration that Bailey is set to play under his 5th defensive coordinator going into his 7th season in Denver.

Taking everything into account, sources told Anderson early last week that the Broncos had not yet conveyed a 100 percent assurance of their intentions to their nine-time Pro Bowler.

Not to mention Fox31 sports was hearing that other agents are “set” to entice the Broncos with the prospect of their younger defensive backs.

However, now the indication is that confidence has measurably grown in Bailey’s camp over the Broncos’ immediate plans with him.

http://community.kdvr.com/_Sources-Broncos-indicate-theyll-honor-last-year-of-Champ-Baileys-deal/BLOG/1931892/96399.html?widgetId=216686

i must admit i am surprised that bowlen is willing to pay 13 mil,champ is a great player and leader,but 13 mil ?
i'll be very happy if this turns out to be the case.we could also see an extension by mid season ensuring he will retire a bronco.
champ seems to think this team is "going places" and thats the kind of attitude needed to win .

dogfish
03-11-2010, 01:13 PM
i still can't figure out why anyone thought we were going to cut one of our best players in an uncapped year. . .

:confused:

Foochacho
03-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Bailey is definitely worth that much when we have no one worthy to replace him. With an improved D line we need a good secondary if we really want to be a dominant d.

Spiritguy
03-11-2010, 02:23 PM
just reported on broncos twitter that they brought back Le Kevin Smith

yardog
03-11-2010, 02:25 PM
just reported on broncos twitter that they brought back Le Kevin Smith

:tsk:

Spiritguy
03-11-2010, 02:27 PM
:tsk:

my thoughts exactly.

underrated29
03-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Josina says the broncos just released Andra davis...??

WHy???

Maybe we are gearing up for a rolondo mclain? But why do it so soon and reveal draft strategy?

broncophan
03-11-2010, 04:14 PM

I am sure Champ's x-wife will appreciate thiat.............

Traveler
03-11-2010, 04:15 PM
I am sure Champ's x-wife will appreciate thiat.............

Is she still MIA with his children?

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Is she still MIA with his children?

Have not read any update that Champ has located her. Champ is in Denver during the off season, as they have showed him and Bly a couple of times at the Nuggets game.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2010, 06:57 PM
http://twitter.com/ColoSportsDesk/statuses/10395615969

RT @AloDraft: Scott Wright: Don't be surprised if Maurkice Pouncey goes as high as #11 to the Denver Broncos. A sure-fire 1st round pick.

dogfish
03-12-2010, 07:14 PM

RT @AloDraft: Scott Wright: Don't be surprised if Maurkice Pouncey goes as high as #11 to the Denver Broncos. A sure-fire 1st round pick.

pouncey at eleven?

wow. . .

now THAT would be guaranteed to draw it's share of criticism. . . :eek:

i like pouncey a lot, and would love to draft him at the top of the 2nd, or even if we moved back past #20, or got an additional pick in the first, but. . . a center at #11? really?

i'm not convinced that he's that caliber of prospect. . . if anything, i'd rather take iupati at 11, let him be a mauler inside this year, and if harris gets hurt again or leaves as a free agent we can slide iupati out to ORT. . .

i mean, if they reeeally, honestly thought that he was going to come in and be the best center in the league in a few years (a patrick willis type of prospect), then i suppose i could be okay with it, but. . . if it was just a desperation pick because we have an immediate need and no answer, then that's exactly how you DON'T want to spend your high draft picks. . .

i know a number of people on here would absolutely defend almost any move made on draft day just out of general principle. . . i also know that, if pouncey's stock doesn't completely spike for some reason in the next six weeks, we would get very heavily criticised both in the national media and by a good chunk of our fan base for a major reach pick. . .

doesn't mean that either side is right, and five years later if he's an all-pro nobody cares that much where he was drafted. . . but the FO would take plenty of heat in the meantime. . .

in any case, i don't buy it. . . i check out scott wright's sight FWIW, and i do think it serves a very useful purpose as a barometer of conventional media wisdom regarding the draft, but i've never really thought of him as a guy with a bunch of "inside connections" like a professional reporter. . . maybe i'm wrong about this, but i've always thought of wright as more of a glorified blogger than a real source of quality info. . . he puts a lot of work into his site and i'm sure he's generating more than enough hits to make it his full-time profession, but i don't know that he's really a football guy who has any hands-on experience. . .

i know he does go to mobile for the combine, and i suppose he could have picked up a rumor as well as anyone else, but i don't know that i'll lend this report much credence unless further evidence surfaces. . .

Ziggy
03-12-2010, 08:40 PM
We may be in a great position to trade down in the 1st. If Dez Bryant, Dan Williams, Rolando McClain, or Joe Haden are there, there will be plenty of interest in the pick from other teams. As deep as this draft is, this would be the year to trade down. I just don't know if McD and Xanders have the patience to go that route. They were overly aggressive in last year's draft. Trading down requires being more patient and less aggressive. Its going to be fun to watch.

xzn
03-13-2010, 05:08 AM
We may be in a great position to trade down in the 1st. If Dez Bryant, Dan Williams, Rolando McClain, or Joe Haden are there, there will be plenty of interest in the pick from other teams. As deep as this draft is, this would be the year to trade down. I just don't know if McD and Xanders have the patience to go that route. They were overly aggressive in last year's draft. Trading down requires being more patient and less aggressive. Its going to be fun to watch.

I think that is my favorite scenario, to trade back, unless someone like Trent Williams slides to us. As we discussed previously, Olsen has apparently taken reps at center over the last year and if we could land one of the big four OTs at 11 to play OLG, maybe Olsen could play center. But I'd be nervous with any youngster making all the line calls.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-13-2010, 07:38 PM
I like Pouncey and am a big proponent of making sure you get YOUR guy, but 11 seems a bit much. At worst we could trade back a few/handful of spots and get a second rounder for our troubles...even if it was a 2011 pick.

nevcraw
03-14-2010, 02:39 PM

If McD sees Williams or Mcclain as his guy he will pull the trigger.. There have been reports on the NFL channel and even from McD and Xanders about all the research being put into this draft from the Broncos compared to last year - according to Michael Lombardi - McD's brother and the QB coach are at every QB prospect's workout.. They are scouring the earth this go around for what should be and has to be a solid draft.
Bryant will not be a bronco unless Mcd cares more about talent than atttitude/reliability - which will be contrary to his claims..
McClain fits the bill from top to bottom and he comes from the orginal McD mentor. and Williams seems to be a top NT prospect w/ a high motor..
I will be shocked if it's not Williams or Mclain if one or both are still on the board..

but whoever it is Mcd will have have decided it's his BPA.
will def. be fun to watch..

dogfish
03-14-2010, 03:26 PM
If McD sees Williams or Mcclain as his guy he will pull the trigger.. There have been reports on the NFL channel and even from McD and Xanders about all the research being put into this draft from the Broncos compared to last year - according to Michael Lombardi - McD's brother and the QB coach are at every QB prospect's workout.. They are scouring the earth this go around for what should be and has to be a solid draft.
Bryant will not be a bronco unless Mcd cares more about talent than atttitude/reliability - which will be contrary to his claims..
McClain fits the bill from top to bottom and he comes from the orginal McD mentor. and Williams seems to be a top NT prospect w/ a high motor..
I will be shocked if it's not Williams or Mclain if one or both are still on the board..

but whoever it is Mcd will have have decided it's his BPA.
will def. be fun to watch..

this is certainly good to hear, and i hope it's accurate. . . we really do need to have a strong draft if we want to see any improvement. . .

but identifying good players is still only one part of it. . . we also need to draft more wisely than last year, and maximize our value the way the top teams do instead of burning value trading up half a dozen times, or reaching to fill needs. . .

Traveler
03-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Jets | Not interested in Marshall
Comment (0)
Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:11:39 -0700

Chris Mortensen, of ESPN, reports via Twitter that the New York Jets do not have interest in pursuing Denver Broncos WR Brandon Marshall.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0iMhkJzEf

underrated29
03-16-2010, 02:48 PM

This would be the Ultimate Mistake!!!

Pouncey is no where good enough for #11, not even good enough for 20. Med and dream from OM were both saying just how bad the technique was for pounce. ANd how he is not cerebral enough right now to call out the plays and assaignments. He is also not a mauler in the run game. He lacks the mean nasty- that walden has.....Obviously, neither would come in and start right away, and they can fix their problems but....

If we take him at 11, when walden could potentially be as good or better I will set people on fire and kick babies.

Nomad
03-16-2010, 02:51 PM
Scouts don't even know if Pouncey can play center other than in a shotgun offense and if not he'd be a guard!!

Traveler
03-17-2010, 05:28 AM
Brandon Marshall-WR-Broncos Mar. 16 - 10:14 pm et

According to FoxSports.com's John Czarnecki, there is "no way that Pete Carroll is parting with the sixth overall pick for a disgruntled receiver who really can't stretch the field."

Czar was obviously referring to Brandon Marshall, though the latter part of his statement is debatable. If the Seahawks are truly willing to commit to the headcase long term, they're smart to wait out the Broncos. Josh McDaniels is loath to hold onto a bad-tempered player expected to pout until he hits the jackpot on an extension.

Source: FoxSports.com

SOCALORADO.
03-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Report: Anderson appears headed for Cardinals
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 17, 2010 12:02 PM ET
The following tweet comes from Darren Urban of the Cardinals' official team website:

"QB Derek Anderson reportedly agrees with Cards."

We're not entirely sure if Urban is reporting the news himself or if someone else is, so we'll hold off saying this one is official just yet.

The move would make a lot of sense, though. The Cardinals don't want to risk losing Anderson and Charlie Whitehurst. There has been speculation that Seattle's acquisition of an extra draft pick Tuesday in exchange for Darryl Tapp will be used to get Whitehurst.

The Cardinals want a viable option at quarterback in case Matt Leinart doesn't pan out. Anderson's track record is spotty, but he does fit a vertical offense like Arizona's attack best.

UPDATE: Sports 620 KTAR reporter Paul Calvisi reports the Cardinals will announce Anderson's signing Wednesday.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/17/report-anderson-appears-headed-for-cardinals/

GEM
03-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Jets | Not interested in Marshall
Comment (0)
Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:11:39 -0700

Chris Mortensen, of ESPN, reports via Twitter that the New York Jets do not have interest in pursuing Denver Broncos WR Brandon Marshall.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0iMhkJzEf

Wow...no Jets, no Seattle, his interested parties are running dry. Maybe that's a hint Marshall...they will pull the trigger at a cheaper price, but that has to sit in his mind that these teams are valuing a never played in the pros unnamed rookie higher than they value Marshall, especially since in the Top 10 picks are going to be expensive. During these times, you'd think some would be jumping at the chance to save some money by getting out of the top 10 and spending it on a proven commodity.

Ravage!!!
03-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Wow...no Jets, no Seattle, his interested parties are running dry. Maybe that's a hint Marshall...they will pull the trigger at a cheaper price, but that has to sit in his mind that these teams are valuing a never played in the pros unnamed rookie higher than they value Marshall, especially since in the Top 10 picks are going to be expensive. During these times, you'd think some would be jumping at the chance to save some money by getting out of the top 10 and spending it on a proven commodity.

Seattle is still interested, just not going to give up the 6th pick of the draft, which everyone already knew. Not a single first-round tender has been signed in the entire NFL, at any position. It's not just Marshall. Teams know that the Broncos will trade Marshall away. They aren't going to give up more than they have to.

GEM
03-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Seattle is still interested, just not going to give up the 6th pick of the draft, which everyone already knew. Not a single first-round tender has been signed in the entire NFL, at any position. It's not just Marshall. Teams know that the Broncos will trade Marshall away. They aren't going to give up more than they have to.

I guess you didn't read my post. I stated that they will still sign him at a lower price. My guess would be that Marshall thought teams would jump at the chance pretty quickly and I wonder how it sits on his mind that teams don't value him quite as high as he probably thought they would. Just like he probably wondered how he got himself down to the 4th round in the draft. All his own doing and all his own mistakes that in the end have cost him a great deal of money.

That isn't being down on Marshall, that is simply the way it is and the situation he has put himself into.

OldschoolFreak
03-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Here's an idea, why don't the Broncos throw a little money his way and sign him to a 2-3 year deal after he whiffs on every team that looked at him as a RFA. That way we don't have him for a year and then watch him walk in a year with no compensation. Don't you think it makes sense for him to take a 3 year 20 mil deal that extends his rights? That way he has another 100 catch season and we either keep him for real or he at least ups his value in a trade next year after contributing again.

We all know he can play and it just seems like there are ways to get more value for him long term than assuming that no one tendered him as an RFA so we should just take whatever we can get now.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-17-2010, 05:41 PM
We can, and will, franchise his ass in the future, if necessary.