PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Broncos Free Agent RUMOR MILL

Italianmobstr7
03-05-2010, 01:20 AM
Thought this would be a good idea to put rumors we hear about who we're bringing in to look at to be new Denver Broncos! I've got a few already!

C Rex Hadnot (Browns) 6'2 320 lbs 28 yr old
DT Justin Bannan (Ravens) 6'3 310 lbs 30 yr old
DE Dwan Edwards (Ravens) 6'3 290 lbs 28 yr old
DE Jason Babin (Eagles) 6'3 267 lbs 29 yr old
OT Tony Pashos (49ers) 6'6 336 lbs 29 yr old
CB Nathan Jones (Dolphins) 5'10 185 lbs 27 yr old

Italianmobstr7
03-05-2010, 01:21 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/bannan-to-visit-the-broncos/

Spending time on the Ravens defense is good for your reputation. That's why we expect defensive linemen Justin Bannan and Dwan Edwards to get heavy action early in free agency.

Bannan, 30, already has a visit scheduled with the Broncos, according to NFP's Aaron Wilson. The rotational defensive tackle has played well the last two years behind Haloti Ngata and Kelly Gregg. Denver is desperate for defensive line depth.

The Broncos also are interested in setting up a meeting with Edwards.

Italianmobstr7
03-05-2010, 01:23 AM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/03/04/hadnot-to-visit-pathos-and-jones-also-coming-in/

In replacing the void in the middle of their offensive line, the Broncos are pursuing the best center available in the free agent market. Run-blocking mauler Rex Hadnot, a center who most recently played with the Cleveland Browns, will visit the Broncos today. The Broncos currently do not have a center after they recently released Casey Wiegmann.

Also visiting the Broncos today are San Francisco offensive tackle Tony Pashos, Miami cornerback Nathan Jones and Baltimore defensive lineman Justin Bannan.

JDL
03-05-2010, 01:54 AM
like the targeted group overall. Pashos is curious - makes me wonder about Ryan Harris because he is one of our more valuable trade commodities. RTs are not that hard to find and Harris was drafted to be a LT (didn't pan out initially), but some teams like Washington (Shanahan) could be willing to give a high 2nd rd pick for him believing he is able to play LT... Pashos/2nd rd pick is better than Harris actually. You can then use a 3rd/4th rd pick for a backup future RT. If he is willing to sign as a backup, then kudos, because he WAY better than Polumbus. I'm not against trading Harris simply from that standpoint and he is one more injury from really being injury prone and probably already is considered that... really developed nicely at RT but guy has a hard time staying healthy.

None of these guys are great players mind you - so don't expect much. They are average players but at positions where we have below average players.

Nathan Jones is a bit of a curiousity... more from what it reveals about the other backup CBs. Maybe Ty Law will be brought back maybe not. Maybe the team is really REALLY down on Alphonso Smith. or a combination.

Italianmobstr7
03-05-2010, 01:58 AM
like the targeted group overall. Pashos is curious - makes me wonder about Ryan Harris because he is one of our more valuable trade commodities. RTs are not that hard to find and Harris was drafted to be a LT (didn't pan out initially), but some teams like Washington (Shanahan) could be willing to give a high 2nd rd pick for him believing he is able to play LT... Pashos/2nd rd pick is better than Harris actually. You can then use a 3rd/4th rd pick for a backup future RT. If he is willing to sign as a backup, then kudos, because he WAY better than Polumbus. I'm not against trading Harris simply from that standpoint and he is one more injury from really being injury prone and probably already is considered that... really developed nicely at RT but guy has a hard time staying healthy.

None of these guys are great players mind you - so don't expect much. They are average players but at positions where we have below average players.

Nathan Jones is a bit of a curiousity... more from what it reveals about the other backup CBs. Maybe Ty Law will be brought back maybe not. Maybe the team is really REALLY down on Alphonso Smith. or a combination.

I've seen Pashos play a bit, my friend is a 49ers fan, and he flat out sucks. I actually hope we don't sign him. Ryan Harris is a beast. We were a much better team with him playing than with him not playing.
Also, articles saying that Nathan Jones signing is not a knock on Alphonso Smith, just need another CB or 2 to replace Law and add depth.

dogfish
03-05-2010, 02:19 AM
not bad. . . they aren't stars, but i wouldn't mind bannan or edwards-- some tough, experienced 30-front linemen who are under 35, don't have busted-up knees and won't cost a mint. . . they're just more lunchpail rotational type guys-- band-aids-- but at least they aren't ancient. . . i know everybody wanted a big nasty nosetackle, but there is just nothing available, and an additional usable five-technique or two would still be helpful. . .

hardly franchise-changing signings, but you do what you can in this type of market, and hope you can draft and develop so these guys can hand off to legitimate young talents instead of more placeholders. . .

in an uncapped year i'd naturally prefer that we go after carlos dansby and antrell rolle, but i'm pretty sure that is NOT happening. . . lol. . .

i've never had an especially high opinion of hadnot, but i can't say i've seen him play a ton either. . . at the worst, it can't hurt to at least have a veteran on hand because we have zero experience there right now. . . gotta hedge your bets, and you always need some depth. . . whether hadnot would be an actual, quality starter and not just a warm body, i can't say. . .

but if we get him, have no fear that the local rag will come out with some fluff piece so we can all go around telling each other how good he's going to be. . .

:D

WARHORSE
03-05-2010, 02:35 AM
Depth along the defensive and offensive lines is a good place to start.

Perhaps Pashos will play guard.

I like the movement, and I like the way we go after specific FAs.

Lets just say, JMD hit a nice load of FAs last year, which he had specifically targeted according to our scheme.

I want a run mauling center too...........he can compete with Pouncy.:salute:

Italianmobstr7
03-05-2010, 02:52 AM
Depth along the defensive and offensive lines is a good place to start.

Perhaps Pashos will play guard.

I like the movement, and I like the way we go after specific FAs.

Lets just say, JMD hit a nice load of FAs last year, which he had specifically targeted according to our scheme.

I want a run mauling center too...........he can compete with Pouncy.:salute:

Hadnot is a run mauling center. If we get him we won't be drafting Pouncey. Hadnot is the #1 FA I want that were looking at so far.

WARHORSE
03-05-2010, 02:56 AM
Hadnot is a run mauling center. If we get him we won't be drafting Pouncey. Hadnot is the #1 FA I want that were looking at so far.

Even better. Im all for it.

Whether Pouncey or Iupati or Asomoah, we can find guard/center types to play.

I think Pashos will play guard while backing up tackle.

If thats the case, I REALLY would like that signing.

silkamilkamonico
03-05-2010, 03:10 AM
Ryan Harris is a beast. We were a much better team with him playing than with him not playing.

Agreed, and quite honestly, there aren't a lot of RT's period that I'd rather have over Harris.

Any trade involving Harris is an immediate downgrade in an already questionably thin unit.

xzn
03-05-2010, 03:10 AM
Pashosh has to be considered a potential starter at OLG, otherwise we wouoldn't have him in so soon. Why would we go create a hole by trading Harris?

If we get Tony and Hadnot it addresses two critical needs and greatly fortifies the offensive front.

silkamilkamonico
03-05-2010, 03:12 AM
Pashosh has to be considered a potential starter at OLG, otherwise we wouoldn't have him in so soon. Why would we go create a hole by trading Harris?

If we get Tony and Hadnot it addresses two critical needs and greatly fortifies the offensive front.

COuldn't agree more. Harris' investment to the team is far more than any trade value we'd get for him.

xzn
03-05-2010, 03:16 AM
Keep developing Olsen and let him compete with Pashos at OLG. If Seth can hold it down and we have Hadnot and the staff is right in identifying THESE guys then our Oline could have what we need with some depth.

Ziggy
03-05-2010, 03:43 AM
Ryan Harris is a very good young RT- when he's healthy. At this point though he's had 1 full season, 2 back surgeries and 1 toe surgery. He just hasn't proven that he can be counted on to stay healty. Pashos would be an improvement over Polumbus and nice insurance should Harris get injured again. Bannan and Edwards are both better than what we have right now at DE. Hadnot still has some tread left in the tires. If we sign him, I think we still may draft a rookie center and groom him for a year or 2. Babin is the one that puzzles me.

Bringing in 2nd and 3rd tier free agents from other teams improves our base talent from what it was 2 years ago. Need evidence? Just look at the list of players that Denver cut last season. Very few made it onto other teams rosters as anything other than injury replacements or camp fodder. It'll take at least 2-3 years of upgrading talent through both the draft and FA to level the playing field with the elite teams. Even then we're going to need some luck, but I like the process that is taking place.

Of course, none of these players are signed yet. They're just scheduled for visits. Hadnot, Bannan and Edwards would all be a nice improvement over what we have in those positions now. I'm hoping that we'll also take a gamble on a guy like Jamaal Williams or Ma'ake Kemoeatu who are both coming off of injuries.

WARHORSE
03-05-2010, 04:16 AM
Looks to me like we're preparing ourselves to take the best available players in the draft.

Wonder what Josh would do if Clausen were available at 11.............

I like Clausen. But I sure dont like risky picks.

Id rather spend my risky picks in the later rounds..........

SmilinAssasSin27
03-05-2010, 01:34 PM
I like Dwan Edwards

Buff
03-05-2010, 01:38 PM
One of the fun parts about free agency is that you can begin to see how we're going to approach the draft. Obviously it's not an exact science since we signed 18 running backs and still drafted one in the 1st round last year, but with us targeting 2 FA O-lineman and a couple of D-lineman, I'm thinking we're going to pick up a LB, S or DE with our first pick. There's always a chance we could go with the DT Williams, or maybe draft another RB just to make everyone really happy, but I have a feeling we're going LB or DE with pick #11.

WARHORSE
03-05-2010, 02:23 PM
One of the fun parts about free agency is that you can begin to see how we're going to approach the draft. Obviously it's not an exact science since we signed 18 running backs and still drafted one in the 1st round last year, but with us targeting 2 FA O-lineman and a couple of D-lineman, I'm thinking we're going to pick up a LB, S or DE with our first pick. There's always a chance we could go with the DT Williams, or maybe draft another RB just to make everyone really happy, but I have a feeling we're going LB or DE with pick #11.

Right.

We took the BPA according to our draft board.

Looking back on it, were we really looking to go into the season with just Buck, Lamont and Hillis? Nope.

I think there are some really highly graded offensive and defensive linemen.

I dont believe us picking up players along the LOS will remove us from the possibility of drafting those positions.

Trent Williams would be a beast here.

JDL
03-06-2010, 12:07 AM
Even better. Im all for it.

Whether Pouncey or Iupati or Asomoah, we can find guard/center types to play.

I think Pashos will play guard while backing up tackle.

If thats the case, I REALLY would like that signing.

Pashos is really just too tall to play very effectively inside... sorry... that wouldn't make a lot of sense to me. Guy is 6'6 DTs will get under him far too easily inside.

Buff
03-06-2010, 02:38 AM
The Redskins are still in hot pursuit of another tackle. San Francisco's Tony Pashos was spotted by a Comcast SportsNet crew Friday night having dinner with Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan and offensive line coach Chris Foerster.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/free-agency/report-chad-clifton-re-signs-w.html

tsiguy96
03-06-2010, 08:13 AM
look for rex hadnot to sign today.

DP article said as long as the finances are right, hell be here. mcdaniels and xanders are pretty good about accommodating veteran contracts.

xzn
03-06-2010, 12:15 PM
look for rex hadnot to sign today.

Dp article said as long as the finances are right, hell be here. Mcdaniels and xanders are pretty good about accommodating veteran contracts.

so let it be written, so let it be done!

Slick
03-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Hopefully we are targeting at least one veteran WR. When whatever happens with Marshall gets hammered out, we are thin as hell.

T.K.O.
03-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Colt named the Broncos and Redskins as two teams he has had good conversations with and would love to play for.
8:16 AM Mar 7th via web
this is off twitter.....sooooooooo

HORSEPOWER 56
03-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Any word on Dwan Edwards? I was really hoping to hear something positive especially with Hadnot leaving town without a deal.

SOCALORADO.
03-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Colt named the Broncos and Redskins as two teams he has had good conversations with and would love to play for.

No. No and NO.

xzn
03-08-2010, 07:46 PM
No. No and NO.

Let me guess you don't like Texas.

:cool:

T.K.O.
03-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Any word on Dwan Edwards? I was really hoping to hear something positive especially with Hadnot leaving town without a deal.

yep...he left town as well......

tsiguy96
03-08-2010, 10:19 PM
really upset hadnot didnt sign, hes visiting AZ next. guess we didnt offer enough cash.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-08-2010, 10:20 PM

I'd actually be very cool with this. It'd likey be a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Given the fact that we've attacked FA looking for DLine depth, we could take a chance on a QB like McCoy in the draft. Dude is a straight up winner. And I like winners.

dogfish
03-08-2010, 10:38 PM
I'd actually be very cool with this. It'd likey be a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Given the fact that we've attacked FA looking for DLine depth, we could take a chance on a QB like McCoy in the draft. Dude is a straight up winner. And I like winners.

i would HATE him as a 1st round pick, and i was scared that he'd get hyped into that range, but with a 2nd or 3rd i'd have no problems taking a chance on a developmental guy who was very successful in the college spread and would seem to project pretty well to our scheme. . .

i'm not saying that i necessarily think he's going to be the mythical franchise quarterback or anything, but i think his production justifies rolling the dice. . .

looks like we're probably going to sign at least one more solid rotational DL between jamaal williams, dwan edwards and jarvis green. . . IF we do, we can trade down from 11 if possible, and if not take the FO's favorite from, say, mcclain, bryant, dan williams, haden, graham or whoever-- get mccoy in the 2nd with an interior OL like asamoah, walton or jerry in the 3rd, or vice versa. . . something like that. . .

and if we trade marshall, use the pick we get back to target golden tate. . .

SmilinAssasSin27
03-08-2010, 10:45 PM
The way FA seems to be going, my gut says we're going after McClain or an RT.

I don't think we go OLB in round 1. Doom is getting PAID and Ayers has a first round price tag. And I do believe Ayers will be just fine.

silkamilkamonico
03-08-2010, 10:50 PM
The way FA seems to be going, my gut says we're going after McClain or an RT.

I don't think we go OLB in round 1. Doom is getting PAID and Ayers has a first round price tag. And I do believe Ayers will be just fine.

If we go OLB with our first round pick, the front office/staff need their head examined.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-08-2010, 11:02 PM
If we go OLB with our first round pick, the front office/staff need their head examined.

Agreed. Unfortunately the 3-4 OLBs are often the guys that make GMs salivate.