PDA

View Full Version : Target Number 1 at nose tackle?

rationalfan
03-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Don't know if he has any life left, but Jamal Williams always killed the Broncos.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/04/osgood-says-chargers-are-dumping-jamal-williams/

dogfish
03-04-2010, 05:06 PM
he's been in decline for a few years now. . . i don't know if his knees will allow him to continue playing or not, but even if they do i wouldn't trust them. . . if i really thought of us as serious contenders i might feel that he was worth the risk of a one or two year rental to bolster the depth at the position, but with this current team i'd rather look for some younger options and try to develop them now. . . .

arapaho2
03-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Don't know if he has any life left, but Jamal Williams always killed the Broncos.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/04/osgood-says-chargers-are-dumping-jamal-williams/

no...jamall is done...no longer will he be a every down player..chances are he will never complete a full season again with his knees

rationalfan
03-04-2010, 06:05 PM
assuming you two can be trusted, we know why the chargers kicked him to the curb.

however, i find one of the comments interesting; the one about developing a younger player. it's a fine theory. but this is a win now league. as several teams have shown, any team can go from putrid to playoffs in one year. and don't fool yourselves, the coaches are planning to win now, not in two years. it's called job security.

Ziggy
03-04-2010, 06:15 PM
If he's recovered completely from the surgery, he'd be a great addition to the Dline. Guys that big that can move like he can don't come around too often. Yes, he's 33, but if healthy he can still create a wall in the middle of the line.

arapaho2
03-04-2010, 06:18 PM
If he's recovered completely from the surgery, he'd be a great addition to the Dline. Guys that big that can move like he can don't come around too often. Yes, he's 33, but if healthy he can still create a wall in the middle of the line.

now we are wanting
kinda the same thing alot of people chastized shanny about..signing old released FA players

simion rice...sam adams...cometo mind

underrated29
03-04-2010, 06:26 PM
apparantly the bolts are gonig to try to get williams back at a lesser price.

I would not mind seeing him here for a season. The worst he can do is stop the run. Something we forgot how to do.

Poet
03-04-2010, 06:41 PM
He would be a good signing if you got him for the veteran minimum AND if he was ok with just being a role player.

So, probably not.

Carl
03-04-2010, 07:35 PM
apparantly the bolts are gonig to try to get williams back at a lesser price.

I would not mind seeing him here for a season. The worst he can do is stop the run. Something we forgot how to do.

No... wait.... its on the tip of my tongue..... I know this.... You stop the run by....... :confused: Dammit

Yeah, I got nothin.:tsk: Good Call. But for some reason the words Rolando McClain at 11 keep runnin through my head. God knows what that means.

Lonestar
03-04-2010, 07:45 PM
This team is not close to making a playoff run until the OLINE is seriously upgraded to protect the QB and open holes. So therefore it may not be a WIN NOW league.

As for NT yes it is a huge need pardon the pun.

I'm hoping we can get the LOS issuses fixed in the Draft and FA and then we should be improved enough to get to the PLayoffs.

Doing anything inside the PO is another thing considering the youth on the TEAM.

Y'all also have to remember that Josh comes the school of bringing in cast offs that the old team thought them to old to contribute.

There is no reason to think that it will not happen here.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

Italianmobstr7
03-04-2010, 08:18 PM
I say we get Gerrard Warren back. Heard the Raiders have cut him. Warren always played good for us and can be a 3-4 DT.

Ziggy
03-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Right now we need to upgrade the Dline in any and every way we can. Out of the 3 lineman, Fields was the most consistent. He wore down as the year went on, and the run defense suffered because of it. It's unrealistic to expect to get 3 quality starters on the Dline in one draft. Building through the draft is the way to go, but you have to supplement that with FA. If Williams can give us 2-3 good years while we draft/groom a younger player, it improves the defense by quite a bit. Add in the fact that Fields is going into the last year of his contract. NFL GM's know what the value of a 3-4 NT is. That's why 3 of the 6 players that were franchised this year are 3-4 NT's.

dogfish
03-04-2010, 09:53 PM
I say we get Gerrard Warren back. Heard the Raiders have cut him. Warren always played good for us and can be a 3-4 DT.

that lazy loafer?

:lol:

he can't be relied on to control one gap, let alone two!

Lonestar
03-05-2010, 12:27 AM

FWIW a 3-4 defense does not have a DT it is called a NT.

that lazy loafer?

:lol:

he can't be relied on to control one gap, let alone two!

Not only NO but HELL NO

xzn
03-05-2010, 12:46 AM
Gimme some big Jamal! Not only would he fill a large hole it also weakens our primary divisional rival. I think he can still play as long as he checks out medically. In a rotation with Fields and Marcus Thomas we'd be fairly well fortified I'd say at the critical nose tackle position.

It would also give us some additional flexibility during the draft...

rationalfan
03-05-2010, 09:32 AM
This team is not close to making a playoff run until the OLINE is seriously upgraded to protect the QB and open holes.

yeah, because the broncos were completely out of the playoff run until the 15th week last year, despite having a historic collapse (sarcasm). dude, i'm not trying to be "mr. positive" but your negativity is clouding facts.