PDA

View Full Version : Washington Number One Destination For Brandon

WARHORSE
03-04-2010, 01:20 PM
The Washington Redskins is the number one probable destination for Brandon Marshall.

Why? First, Brandon knows the offense inside and out.

Second, cause Brandon would LOVE to go with Shanahan.

Third, Snyder will buy his new son MS any toy he wants in the entire store.

Fourth, Brandon will get paid.

Fifth, the Skins need a real wideout.

Sixth, who is going to outbid Snyder in willingness to pay money to a player?

I can just see Mike Shanahan fidgeting behind his desk trying to figure out how to get Brandon, Eddie, Hillis, and Scheff.

Some thoughts:

Brandon Marshall for their second rounder and a swap out of first rounders. This would favor us, but Washington is the number one destination for Brandon. Since Shanny wants a QB, this will depend on how he looks at Bradford and Clausen, and any other prospect. He will want a big arm.

Brandon, Hillis, Scheffler, and our third for Washingtons first.......Brandon, Hillis, Scheffler, Royal, Hillis for Washingtons first and second.

In that scenario, we are really only trying to replace Brandon, and Royal on a small level cause Eddie did not contribute. A lot depends on how JMD looks at Royals receiving abilities.

Btw..........Houston is the second destination. They have all the parameters as well. If Walter goes, Brandon will replace him. Houston has the money. Houston can draft their RB and Safety in the second and third rounds. AND once again, Brandon already knows the offense.

CoachChaz
03-04-2010, 01:23 PM
I dont see where it's written or assumed that Shanny wants all of his old players back

and I definitely dont see Houston paying out the money for two top 10 WR's.

Italianmobstr7
03-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Washington isn't going to give up their 1st round pick for BM especially not #4 overall. They want a qb and will probably get Clausen.

underrated29
03-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Washington isn't going to give up their 1st round pick for BM especially not #4 overall. They want a qb and will probably get Clausen.

I agree, except that I think they go OT.

Poet
03-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Baltimore. I don't care what they are saying currently, it's Baltimore.

underrated29
03-04-2010, 01:30 PM
I am not sure that Brandon goes there at all.

Was has lots of WR threats.

santana, dev thomas, malcolm kelly, randle el, cooley (even though hes a TE)....I seem to remember that they have another young WR like thomas who they are developing.....

I just dont see Brandon being on their list. I see OL, QB, more OL, CB and LB as their targets.

Poet
03-04-2010, 01:33 PM

santana, dev thomas, manningham, randle el, cooley (even though hes a TE)....I seem to remember that they have another young WR like thomas who they are developing.....

I just dont see Brandon being on their list. I see OL, QB, more OL, CB and LB as their targets.
Are you thinking of Malcolm Kelly?

underrated29
03-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Are you thinking of Malcolm Kelly?

Yessir. Thanks

T.K.O.
03-04-2010, 01:42 PM

yeah but clausen isnt going #4...and if we did work a deal to give them our #11 we could get a beast d-line player at #4 and probably pick up an extra 2nd,all the while putting brandon in a position to play for a guy he wants to play for and getting $$$,and relieving us of the worry about wether or not he will even show up for the 2.5 mil

MasterShake
03-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Wasn't there a rumor that Shanny was going to ship Marshall out before he got fired?

Mike
03-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Don't see it happening.

nevcraw
03-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Houston is even more far fetched than DC.. They are not going tie up all of there cash at the WR postion - also not enough football to go around for Johnson and Marshall..

underrated29
03-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Wasn't there a rumor that Shanny was going to ship Marshall out before he got fired?

Yes, but it was dispelled shortly there after. Shanny even backed it up that he had no intention of releasing brandon outright.

rationalfan
03-04-2010, 02:12 PM
interesting scenarios. but one factor wasn't in the equation: money. there's no way bowlen would want to pay for two first round picks this year. my opinion.

dogfish
03-04-2010, 02:31 PM

santana, dev thomas, malcolm kelly, randle el, cooley (even though hes a TE)....I seem to remember that they have another young WR like thomas who they are developing.....

their receivers all sucks balls, other than when moss has his two good games per year. . . .

i don't see them giving up #4 for brandon, though, and no way a team that has andre johnson is trading for another bigtime receiver. . . .

underrated29
03-04-2010, 02:36 PM
their receivers all sucks balls, other than when moss has his two good games per year. . . .

i don't see them giving up #4 for brandon, though, and no way a team that has andre johnson is trading for another bigtime receiver. . . .

hey hey hey, dont be hatin on my boy Devin Thomas. He will come around. This will be his 3rd year and he might just break out.

Timmy!
03-04-2010, 02:46 PM
I just don't see how Shanny would want all those guys back. As previously mentioned in this thread, word was that Shanny was planning on shipping out Marshall before he got the axe.

With the way players are being tendered, and most owners not wanting to shell out huge contracts with a possible work stoppage looming, all the Broncos tendered fa's should end up right back in Denver. The only exception I see could be Marshall, but IMO, it's a 60% chance he ends up wearing a Bronco uniform in 2010

BroncoWave
03-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Yes, but it was dispelled shortly there after. Shanny even backed it up that he had no intention of releasing brandon outright.

Yes, because coaches never lie. :lol:

Even after Shanny said that, Mort still stood by his report.

Marshall is not going to Washington, not a chance.

Ravage!!!
03-04-2010, 02:48 PM

Bingo on both points. It seems that a lot of people around here feel that Shanahan is a first time HC, and will do whatever he can to get former Broncos... like McD did with Patriots.

If the Redskins go after Marshall (which they would be smart to do), the aren't going to give up the #4 pick to do it. Just because Houston has the same system, doesn't mean that Kubiak is going to go after every Bronco.

WRs change teams each and every year.... and they do fine. We saw rookie WRs come in after missing 6 games, and immediately make an impact. We saw WRs being traded, and make an immediate impact for their team the following week. Marshall doesn't need the system to succeed. Houston isn't a thought in Marshall.

But... on draft day... what if the Redskins offer their 1st in the 2011 draft for Marshall? Could probably get a 1st and third for him since its the following year. Then Mike has the possibility to draft Bradford in the first, and get Marshall to go along with him.

Northman
03-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Its not like Washington is just a receiver away from the Super Bowl. And as previously stated they have a receiving core with Moss and some up and comers but they need a guy who can find them down the field. Im not totally down on Campbell as he has a really crappy Oline to work with so dont be shocked if Shanahan goes offensive line first round. It doesnt matter what QB or receivers you have, if you cant protect the thrower they will never see it down the field.

Ravage!!!
03-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Its not like Washington is just a receiver away from the Super Bowl. And as previously stated they have a receiving core with Moss and some up and comers but they need a guy who can find them down the field. Im not totally down on Campbell as he has a really crappy Oline to work with so dont be shocked if Shanahan goes offensive line first round. It doesnt matter what QB or receivers you have, if you cant protect the thrower they will never see it down the field.

Yeah.. but then, just like in Denver.. .. how many times do you have an opportunity to grab a franchise QB? We didn't have many chances here, and when we finally did, Shanahan grabbed it.

I think the OL is easier to build with 3rd-4th round guys, than a QB is. I personally think Campbell is bad... really bad.

Nomad
03-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Shanahan better fix his missing OT (oline) or I don't care who is QBing, he'll be picking in the top 10 again next year. At first I thought QB as well but Bradford and Clausen aren't that good to overcome a weak oline!

BTW, Shanny doesn't want Marshall, if any, it'll be a team between 25-32 pick!!

Northman
03-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Yeah.. but then, just like in Denver.. .. how many times do you have an opportunity to grab a franchise QB? We didn't have many chances here, and when we finally did, Shanahan grabbed it.

I think the OL is easier to build with 3rd-4th round guys, than a QB is. I personally think Campbell is bad... really bad.

Well, i wouldnt put Jay in the franchise mold just yet but i get your drift.

Ravage!!!
03-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Well, i wouldnt put Jay in the franchise mold just yet but i get your drift.

Doesn't really matter if they live to the expectations. Whether you think Jay is there or not, Mike took the chance to draft "that guy."

Thats why I was thrilled when we drafted Cutler. Not so much that I hated Jake (didn't hate him, just thought we needed upgrade)... it was the fact that our coaches/franchise was looking to IMPROVE at the most important position in football rather than sit back and 'make-do' with what we got. The making and attempt to get better, is what you need to do...especially at QB. It was taking that chance that got me excited. Something Washington needs.

Thats where I'm at now with the franchise. Orton is ok, but I don't want to just "make do" with what we have. I want to go after a guy that can make a difference. The OT could be huge if they just don't feel Bradford or Clausen is their type...but how many chances do you expect to have (as a GM/coach) at drafting a top QB prospect?

Thats why I would expect Shanahan to draft Bradford. Also why I would think St. Louis would be wise to draft Bradford (if they can't trade for McNabb) instead of Sue.

Suh is a stud, but when you are only winning 2-3 games a year... a DT isn't going to win you more games. A QB can win you more games.

Northman
03-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Thats why I was thrilled when we drafted Cutler. Not so much that I hated Jake (didn't hate him, just thought we needed upgrade)... it was the fact that our coaches/franchise was looking to IMPROVE at the most important position in football rather than sit back and 'make-do' with what we got. The making and attempt to get better, is what you need to do...especially at QB. It was taking that chance that got me excited. Something Washington needs.

Totally agree and i was the same way.

Thats where I'm at now with the franchise. Orton is ok, but I don't want to just "make do" with what we have. I want to go after a guy that can make a difference. The OT could be huge if they just don't feel Bradford or Clausen is their type...but how many chances do you expect to have (as a GM/coach) at drafting a top QB prospect?

Depends. So far McD hasnt proven he can be better than what Shanahan ended up at. So we could either improve this year or have yet another set back. If we continue to decline we will be drafting in the top ten every year just like the Lions and Raiders. Time will tell i guess.

Thats why I would expect Shanahan to draft Bradford. Also why I would think St. Louis would be wise to draft Bradford (if they can't trade for McNabb) instead of Sue.

I agree but then again as time wore on Shanny found out just how valuable a guy like Clady can be even though going back to the Elway era it sholud of been apparent how important the line in front of the QB is.

Suh is a stud, but when you are only winning 2-3 games a year... a DT isn't going to win you more games. A QB can win you more games.

Most of the time true depending on your needs. Im not sold that even if Jay had stayed last year that we would of made the playoffs. Jay is far too reckless right now with his decision making so in theory you are correct just so as long as the QB plays it smart. But it wouldnt hurt my feelings to see Suh drop to us. :)

Poet
03-04-2010, 03:41 PM
.but how many chances do you expect to have (as a GM/coach) at drafting a top QB prospect?

Every year there is an 'amazing' prospect at every position. If you're a HC or GM who coached for 13 years you had 13 shots at it. Don't tell you can't trade up for 'your' guy, Denver did it, Cleveland did it and so did the Jets.

A DT will make you win more games, it's just not as obvious. Go ahead and get that STUD QB, unless that STUD is as good as Manning or Brees (Read two HOFers and one guy who has a claim to being the G.O.A.T.) you aren't winning anything of significance.

That DT can make pedistran DE's look really good and he can stop the run. I'm not saying a QB isn't more important than a DT, I'm just saying that you're making it sound like a DT isn't near that importance, and the truth of the matter is that they are. If I'm going to rank the importance of players, it's 1. QB. 2 DT if the D is 3-4 or DE if the offense is 4-3 3. LT. 4. cornerback.

Ravage!!!
03-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Most of the time true depending on your needs. Im not sold that even if Jay had stayed last year that we would of made the playoffs. Jay is far too reckless right now with his decision making so in theory you are correct just so as long as the QB plays it smart. But it wouldnt hurt my feelings to see Suh drop to us. :)

Well.. I do. I'm really not getting into the 'jay vs orton' thing, because we both know thats been played out.

But I think the difference is that Jay is still so much more a threat to a defense than Orton is.

But regardless, I was more talking about the Rams or Redskins taking a QB (more the rams) with the 1st overall pick. If Bradford is gone at 4, then I think OT is absolutely the pick.

I think what it comes down to, is NO team wants to go into the season with either Orton or Campbell as your starters. You may HAVE to, but you don't want to. Sometimes you just don't really have a choice, even if your first choice is "god no."

Ziggy
03-04-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm not sure that Shanahan would even want Marshall if he had a mid to late 1st rounder. He knows his talent, but also his immaturity and arrest record. I haven't seen one quote from Shanahan saying that Marshall is a franchise WR worth giving guaranteed millions to. We'll find out tomorrow which teams think that Marshall is worth doing it for. It's not likely that any team is going to give up a high first for him. On the other side of the coin, the final 8 teams can't even try until they've lost a free agent themselves. That leaves only about 30-50% of the league to bid right away. How is Brandon and his agent going to react if there is no interest in him for just a 1st round pick?

Buff
03-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Shanahan doesn't want that cancer anywhere near his locker room. Best buhlee dat.

Ravage!!!
03-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Every year there is an 'amazing' prospect at every position. If you're a HC or GM who coached for 13 years you had 13 shots at it. Don't tell you can't trade up for 'your' guy, Denver did it, Cleveland did it and so did the Jets.

A DT will make you win more games, it's just not as obvious. Go ahead and get that STUD QB, unless that STUD is as good as Manning or Brees (Read two HOFers and one guy who has a claim to being the G.O.A.T.) you aren't winning anything of significance.

That DT can make pedistran DE's look really good and he can stop the run. I'm not saying a QB isn't more important than a DT, I'm just saying that you're making it sound like a DT isn't near that importance, and the truth of the matter is that they are. If I'm going to rank the importance of players, it's 1. QB. 2 DT if the D is 3-4 or DE if the offense is 4-3 3. LT. 4. cornerback.

(first, I dont' think Brees is a HoF'er yet. I don't see what he's done to even be suggested in that capacity at this time) but regardless....

I absolutely do not think that a DT is as important as the QB! I think that the general NFL GMs/Coaches/owners and commissioners agree. QB is the most important position in football, and probably all of sports.

If you are a 2-3 win a season type game, you draft a DT with the 1st overall, and you most likely will still win 2-3 games a season. A QB is a MUCH bigger game changer than a DT is.

The Patriots didn't win the Super Bowls because they had Wilfork on their team. In fact, they haven't won one since he's been there. Brady made all the difference for that ball-club. They even got Wilfork when they were WINNING, and he didn't make their defense a Super Bowl quality D.

Now don't get me wrong. I know the trenches are important, but I'm talking about what makes the BIGGEST impact on a team, and its not DT. DT is NOT going to win you as many games as a QB will.

** edit** If I personally were going to rank, I would go 1) QB 2) LT 3)DE 4) DT ( I agree it makes a difference on if its a 34 or 43) 5) FS

Poet
03-04-2010, 04:17 PM
(first, I dont' think Brees is a HoF'er yet. I don't see what he's done to even be suggested in that capacity at this time) but regardless....

We'll get to that one at a different time, but yeah no need to hi-jack the thread.

I absolutely do not think that a DT is as important as the QB! I think that the general NFL GMs/Coaches/owners and commissioners agree. QB is the most important position in football, and probably all of sports.
It's a lot closer than you would care to think. A dominant DT affects the entire defense. He opens up holes and creates mismatches which help his other DL and LBs which helps the secondary. Why do you think that the Steelers and Ravens have gotten away with and made deep playoff run/SBs with TERRIBLE cornerbacks? QB is the most important, but don't discount those big nasties.

If you are a 2-3 win a season type game, you draft a DT with the 1st overall, and you most likely will still win 2-3 games a season. A QB is a MUCH bigger game changer than a DT is.
Odds are good that no matter who you draft you're going to end up being crappy the next year. It takes a whole lot of awful to get the number one pick. However, they're not much bigger game changers. They're bigger, but a DT impacts every last play on the field. A QB hands the ball off a decent amount of time. A QB can't really be phenomenal unless he has a good offensive line. A DT can be phenomenal even if the rest of his line blows.

The Patriots didn't win the Super Bowls because they had Wilfork on their team. In fact, they haven't won one since he's been there. Brady made all the difference for that ball-club. They even got Wilfork when they were WINNING, and he didn't make their defense a Super Bowl quality D.
No, Brady didn't. Brady had little impact in his first SB. In fact, Ty Law won that SB. Their defense won that SB. It was based on turnovers and they had good defensive play.

Wilfork got there when their players were on the decline. He showed up around the time that the Patriots decided plugging in guys like Seau, Deltha O'Neal, Tory James etc etc etc. Then that gamechanging QB got pounded in the SB by the Giants.

Now don't get me wrong. I know the trenches are important, but I'm talking about what makes the BIGGEST impact on a team, and its not DT. DT is NOT going to win you as many games as a QB will.

Actually, in the first few years, that DT will win you more games. Young QBs typically LOSE you games and they typically take longer to develop. Yes, you have Matt Ryan. But Flacco's only been average and he's ONLY been average because he doesn't have to do much with the passing game BECAUSE of his defense. Hey, where's that Ngata guy play? Oh, he's a hybrid DT/DE. ;)

** edit** If I personally were going to rank, I would go 1) QB 2) LT 3)DE 4) DT ( I agree it makes a difference on if its a 34 or 43) 5) FS

That list is completely acceptable. As always, it's been a pleasure.

tsiguy96
03-04-2010, 04:18 PM
twitter scout guy said a lot of scouts dont even have a 1st round grade on clausen.

Nomad
03-04-2010, 04:41 PM
twitter scout guy said a lot of scouts dont even have a 1st round grade on clausen.

I believe Clausen is a little overhyped!!

Ravage!!!
03-04-2010, 04:42 PM
It's a lot closer than you would care to think. A dominant DT affects the entire defense. He opens up holes and creates mismatches which help his other DL and LBs which helps the secondary. Why do you think that the Steelers and Ravens have gotten away with and made deep playoff run/SBs with TERRIBLE cornerbacks? QB is the most important, but don't discount those big nasties.

I could point out that they had some of the best LBs in the NFL.

Odds are good that no matter who you draft you're going to end up being crappy the next year. It takes a whole lot of awful to get the number one pick. However, they're not much bigger game changers. They're bigger, but a DT impacts every last play on the field. A QB hands the ball off a decent amount of time. A QB can't really be phenomenal unless he has a good offensive line. A DT can be phenomenal even if the rest of his line blows.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. A QB can make the OL much better. Look at Manning and Marino as examples. They rarely got sacked because of THEIR play. There are MANY QBs in the same example. Hell, Cutler made a HUGE difference on our own OL in Denver.

No player is going to turn you around the next season, granted. But if you are going to pay BIG bucks to a player to make the MOST difference, the QB is where you start.

A QB does a HELL of a lot more than the DT does. He doesn't just hand off the ball, and when he does, its the DBs watching what he does that could make the difference between a short or long run. A DT could be good, but if the rest of the defense blows, its VERY VERY easy to avoid the DT. The QB always has the ball in his hands, you can't avoid him.

No, Brady didn't. Brady had little impact in his first SB. In fact, Ty Law won that SB. Their defense won that SB. It was based on turnovers and they had good defensive play.

Completely disagree. THey don't win that Super Bowl with Bledsoe.

But if you want to say their defense won that Super Bowl.. they did it without a dominant DT.

Wilfork got there when their players were on the decline. He showed up around the time that the Patriots decided plugging in guys like Seau, Deltha O'Neal, Tory James etc etc etc. Then that gamechanging QB got pounded in the SB by the Giants.

Exactly. So what does a 2-3 win team have around him in St. Louis? If the dominant DT isn't going to do well/better/win with better players around him like they do in NE, why would a DT be the key in St. Louis?

Actually, in the first few years, that DT will win you more games. Young QBs typically LOSE you games and they typically take longer to develop. Yes, you have Matt Ryan. But Flacco's only been average and he's ONLY been average because he doesn't have to do much with the passing game BECAUSE of his defense. Hey, where's that Ngata guy play? Oh, he's a hybrid DT/DE. ;)

But I don't draft for the one year. I don't use the first overall pick thinking about he FIRST season. I use that pick to build my team around. I use that pick with expectations of it being a PILLAR for years. If I want something to be a major CHANGE for the franchise for years to come, and not just the first year, I go with QB knowing they make SOOOO much more difference than a DT does.

Not only do we have Ryans, we have FLaccos (whom I think is not very good and totally over-rated), and we now have whats-his-name in NYJ. All, but Ryan, have leaned on their defense for success.. right now. The Ravens leaned on their defense forever to win, with great DTs and LBs. How has that worked out for them? In the Super Bowl this season, we had two great QBs and two teams that don't have much in the DT department.

I'm not saying that a great DT isn't needed. But there is no comparison as to what position is more important to the team. IMO, DTs just don't hold that kind of clout to the overall picture.

SR
03-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Quit making threads that make it seem like it's an ESPN article or something.

Northman
03-04-2010, 05:30 PM

You keep getting sucked in too huh. lol

WARHORSE
03-04-2010, 05:34 PM

All I gotta say is, their defense is not the problem.

Shanahan believes in late draft picks for Olinemen.

They can get a good tackle at one, OR two. So whether they beef up an offer packaged with their high second, or send their first, they still have a lot to consider..........and will.

And for all those talkin about Brandon not being wanted by Shanny.......yeah right.

300 plus receptions guaranteed in the next three years.

WARHORSE
03-04-2010, 05:38 PM

I guess its a skill..........:salute:

Guess that means we shouldnt expect another post from ya in here then?
:shocked:

Northman
03-04-2010, 05:44 PM
All I gotta say is, their defense is not the problem.

Shanahan believes in late draft picks for Olinemen.

They can get a good tackle at one, OR two. So whether they beef up an offer packaged with their high second, or send their first, they still have a lot to consider..........and will.

And for all those talkin about Brandon not being wanted by Shanny.......yeah right.

300 plus receptions guaranteed in the next three years.

They arent quite set at defense. They need some serious safety help. But overall they are better there than they are on the offensive side of the ball. Shanny could take some Oline in the later rounds but those are more crapshoots than first rounders and in reality they need someone who could start from day 1. No sense drafting a QB only to get him killed in the first season. I think Shanny will play it safe his first year and not try and shock and awe his team to death. The receivers are there so even if he might respect Brandon's ability i know he wont give up the farm to get him and certainly not a top 10 pick.

WARHORSE
03-04-2010, 06:01 PM
They arent quite set at defense. They need some serious safety help. But overall they are better there than they are on the offensive side of the ball. Shanny could take some Oline in the later rounds but those are more crapshoots than first rounders and in reality they need someone who could start from day 1. No sense drafting a QB only to get him killed in the first season. I think Shanny will play it safe his first year and not try and shock and awe his team to death. The receivers are there so even if he might respect Brandon's ability i know he wont give up the farm to get him and certainly not a top 10 pick.

Thats a possibility for sure.
:beer:

SR
03-05-2010, 06:16 PM
I guess its a skill..........:salute:

Guess that means we shouldnt expect another post from ya in here then?
:shocked:

I don't think it's a skill as much as it is intentionally misleading.

JDL
03-06-2010, 12:01 AM

But he did NOT deny he thought about or would look to move him... many rumors have a little kernel of truth in them if you know how to spot it. Washington is probably damn near the BOTTOM of most probable teams.

WARHORSE
03-06-2010, 12:22 AM
I don't think it's a skill as much as it is intentionally misleading.

Youre able to see peoples intentions now?

I didnt write it to mislead anything.

A threads a thread.

Sorry there was a big letdown for ya waitin.:coffee: