PDA

View Full Version : Moves spell out Broncos' offseason strategy

Denver Native (Carol)
03-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Also on link, Klis lists what he feels is the Broncos "Wish List", plus all of the Bronco's Free Agents

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14509001

Beneath the otherwise dull mechanism of contract tendering lies so many double meanings, inferences and stories.

The Broncos tendered contracts to five of their six restricted free agents Wednesday. The Broncos' Big Five — Elvis Dumervil, Kyle Orton, Brandon Marshall, Chris Kuper and Tony Scheffler — are not exactly the Happy Five.

None of them figure to sign those tenders any time soon.

Two, Marshall and Scheffler, are set up to be traded. The other three — Dumervil, Orton and Kuper — are likely to consider joining the dozens of fourth- and fifth-year NFL restricted free agents in holding out from offseason workouts.

The only potential restricted free agent not tendered a contract by the Broncos was backup defensive end Le Kevin Smith. He may have been the only one of the group who would have been happy with a tender. Instead, he becomes an unrestricted free agent — which is what the other five players wish they had the opportunity to try.

"It's bittersweet," said Leo Goeas, Kuper's agent. "Chris likes being there, he likes being a Bronco. A lot of this is out of his control. The good thing about this is the Broncos sent the message with that first-round tender that they value him and they don't want him leaving. The other side is by putting such a high tender on him, it does limit his opportunities."

Welcome to what promises to be another tumultuous offseason at Dove Valley.

Take the case of Dumervil. He's the player the Broncos most coveted, and most feared losing. The team acted accordingly by slapping the highest tender of first- and third-round compensation on the NFL's sack leader. Should another team lure away Dumervil with a lucrative deal, that team would have to compensate the Broncos with a first- and third-round pick in the upcoming NFL draft. Teams just don't give up that much for any player.

Nice to be loved, right? If only love could buy a beach house on the Miami waterfront. Last July, Baltimore avoided losing Terrell Suggs to free agency by signing the outside linebacker to a six-year, $62.5 million contract, $38.1 million of which is guaranteed.

Suggs had eight sacks in the season leading into free agency. Dumervil had 17.

Dumervil would have been an unrestricted free agent this offseason until a breakdown in the league's collective bargaining agreement changed the rules. Now, fourth- and fifth- year players — as is the case with the Broncos' Big Five — are not unrestricted but restricted free agents.

As a restricted free agent, Dumervil is guaranteed only a one-year, $3.168 million deal. No doubt, $3.1 million is nice — unless it's $3.1 million instead of $38.1 million.

Three other Broncos — Orton, Marshall and Kuper — received the next-highest tender of first-round draft pick compensation.

First-round compensation, though, had different meanings. For a potential superstar like Marshall, who is coming off three consecutive 100-catch seasons, or Orton, a three-year starting QB, a first-round tender could invite a team or three to go after them.

But for Kuper, who plays at a relatively lower-paid position, a first-round tender would be considered all but prohibitive for other teams to pursue.

Scheffler received the lowest tender of "original round" compensation. Although Scheffler was a second-round pick in the 2006 draft, by designating him as an "original round" restricted free agent instead of "second round" restricted free agent, the Broncos are guaranteeing his pay at $1.176 million instead of $1.759 million.

That's nearly a $600,000 shove to the edge of the trading plank.

Many agents already have recommended to their restricted free-agent clients to skip the team's offseason workout sessions. The agents don't want these players in harm's way in case a new CBA changes their status from restricted free agency to unrestricted free agency.

The agents know there's a better chance of heaven using pitchforks at the dinner table than the league and union have of reaching a new CBA. But negotiating leverage is not in the player's favor.

Broncolingus
03-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Thx for the read, C...

Good summary by Klis...

Dean
03-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Yesterday it was posted that Shef recieved a second round designation rather then the original pick designation. I wonder which it actually is?

weazel
03-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Yesterday it was posted that Shef recieved a second round designation rather then the original pick designation. I wonder which it actually is?

I was thinking the same thing. These media types dont even get half their facts correct anymore. The internet has turned it into a hack business.

Dean
03-04-2010, 11:00 AM
I think Klis is wrong.

Marshall, Dumervil, Orton among five tendered by Broncos
Associated Press

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Denver Broncos are doing everything they can to keep Pro Bowl pass rusher Elvis Dumervil in blue and orange.

Brandon Marshall, not so much.

On Wednesday, the Broncos slapped a first- and third-round tender on Dumervil, who led the league in sacks last season. Other teams would have to surrender those two levels of picks in the upcoming draft if they signed the restricted free agent who stands to make $3.168 million next season with the Broncos.

Marshall would get a 14.7 percent raise next season to $2.521 million if he's still in Denver.

The source of his discontent last summer was twofold: he was angry with the team's medical staff for misdiagnosing a hip injury that required surgery, and he wasn't happy with his undervalued contract.

A fourth-round draft pick in 2006, Marshall argued he should be compensated like other elite wide receivers.

He set an NFL record by catching 21 passes for 200 yards and two touchdowns in a loss to Indianapolis, but just a few weeks later he showed up 20 minutes late for treatment on a pulled hamstring and was benched for the season finale.

Quarterback Kyle Orton ($2.261 million) and guard Kris Kuper ($2.521 million) also received first-round tender offers, and tight end Tony Scheffler ($1.759 million) was given a second-round tender.

All five players would have been unrestricted free agents if the owners hadn't opted out of the collective bargaining agreement with the players in 2008. Among the ramifications for the upcoming season are no salary cap or floor and players have to have six years of service instead of four to reach unrestricted free agency.

Late last season, Orton said it was a shame that players in his situation would have to wait to cash in on the free agent market because of the uncapped year that's coming in 2010, the result of a breakdown in the collective bargaining agreement between players and owners.

"It's a bad thing for the 275 players that are in that position with me," Orton said on Dec. 30. "Free agency has always been something for the players. It's always been a great thing. If you get one crack at free agency as a player, that's what you dream of."

Along with Marshall, Scheffler was benched for the season finale against Kansas City, for his attitude.

After the Broncos lost their last game, finishing 8-8 again after a 6-2 start under McDaniels, Scheffler sounded as though he'd played his last game for the Broncos.

"If they want to go in a different direction, you kind of start with this game and I wasn't involved in it," he said.

Scheffler was among several holdover starters who were drafted by Mike Shanahan but who saw their roles greatly reduced under McDaniels.

"That's something you've got to deal with," Scheffler said in January. "That's why there's 32 teams."

On Wednesday, general manager Brian Xanders said the five players "are high-quality football players, and we look forward to their contributions during the 2010 season and beyond."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

Elevation inc
03-04-2010, 11:05 AM
exactly, i posted that in another thread.....and was told klis said it was original rd tender...if we did give tony a legit second rd tender we gave him a 600,000 dollar bonus....even after he was benched a game.....shows good faith i think

GEM
03-04-2010, 11:08 AM

Yea, that's what I read on the Denver Broncos site, I would think they have it correct. It stated that they tendered him at the higher $ amount, giving me the impression that they upped the compensation as a goodwill measure.

underrated29
03-04-2010, 01:03 PM
I dont understand guys.

We did draft scheff in the 2nd round. Which is the same we tendered at.

shank
03-04-2010, 01:39 PM
I dont understand guys.

We did draft scheff in the 2nd round. Which is the same we tendered at.

just cause they're the same doesn't mean they're not different

Elevation inc
03-04-2010, 01:48 PM
just cause they're the same doesn't mean they're not different

this is true, where they were drafted in teh rd is a difference....2nd rd tender essentially gives them the highest possible second rd amount, original second rd tender means he could have been drafted with the last pick of the second rd and the pay would be different, thats why there is so much confusion....

rationalfan
03-04-2010, 02:24 PM
I was thinking the same thing. These media types dont even get half their facts correct anymore. The internet has turned it into a hack business.

as a "media type" i'm a bit defensive about this subject. but the reason the facts are often jumbled/updated is because the people who are wannabe media hacks with blogs or whatnot are ruining the game. they'll post inaccurate information fast because they don't have to be accountable. therefore, the journalists who have to confirm facts before reporting them post later and are branded as "hacks" for the 2 out of 20 amateur blog posts that are actually correct.

the inverse of that is media types posting information faster than they should (to beat their rivals) and mistakes are made in the rush to deliver.

ultimately, we're the ones to blame. we want the information immediately.

and, just to clarify, i do think amateur blogs have real journalistic purpose. just not all of them.

CoachChaz
03-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Would anyone here spend a 2nd round pick on Tony Sheffler today? I'll be very surprised and very confused if anyone says yes

underrated29
03-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Would anyone here spend a 2nd round pick on Tony Sheffler today? I'll be very surprised and very confused if anyone says yes

If i was the saints and didnt have shockey, i might consider it. And Maybe AZ or Balt. But realistically I could probably draft a like player in the 3rd.....

I do not know, i have not even looked at 1 single TE in the upcomming draft as I do not see it as a need. But hey pettigrew went in the first to det so maybe there is a like player, but i have no clue.

G_Money
03-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Yea, that's what I read on the Denver Broncos site, I would think they have it correct. It stated that they tendered him at the higher $ amount, giving me the impression that they upped the compensation as a goodwill measure.

Per the Broncos site:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9894

By Gray Caldwell
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- With free agency set to begin on Friday, the Broncos have tendered qualifying offers to five players who will be restricted free agents.

Elvis Dumervil has been tendered with a first and third-round draft choice. Chris Kuper, Brandon Marshall and Kyle Orton each have been tendered with a first-round draft choice. Tony Scheffler was given an original round tender (second-round draft choice).

I'm with Coach, we're not getting a 2nd rounder for Tony. But I do expect him to be traded.

The idea is just to make him cheap and decently tradable, IMO, which is why he got offered 1.1 instead of 1.7 mil.

~G