PDA

View Full Version : Klis on ESPN

SmilinAssasSin27
03-23-2008, 10:50 AM
(hijacked from the Mane) Mike Klis from the Post was on ESPN2's First Take as a Denver media representative doing a mock draft. He listed OT and DT as the team's two biggest needs but said they could go any number of directions with the pick. He mentioned Denver will be looking to draft a WR and P later in the draft.

Getting back to the pick, he said the Broncos love Jake Long who obviously won't be around at #12. Of the remaining OT's (which according to this mock draft was all but Long) he said they like Ryan Clady the best, however the Broncos believe Ryan Harris is a better player than Clady which may deter them from taking an OT. He said the Broncos would really like to trade down, possibly with Atlanta, Houston or Dallas. Forced to stay at #12, he believed the Broncos would take a RB. He said they were very high on Jonathan Stewart as their #12 pick until his recent injury but now believes they are very high on Rashard Mendenhall who would be an excellent fit for the Broncos one-cut-and-go system.

As his pick, he had the Broncos taking Mendenhall.

underrated29
03-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Wow i have got to tip my hat to all of the people here who suggested the same thing. That we like stewart better, belive harris is a good LT, and that trading down is choice number 1.

I think if they get what they want they trade down, pick up stewart, and trevor laws (if there) with next pick.

all this being based off what klis says is true.

But just for lex, i like many wouldnt be disappointed with mend.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-23-2008, 11:04 AM
typo...Thread title should have read Kils ON ESPN. If a mod can fix...please do. Thanx

shank
03-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Wow i have got to tip my hat to all of the people here who suggested the same thing. That we like stewart better, belive harris is a good LT, and that trading down is choice number 1.

I think if they get what they want they trade down, pick up stewart, and trevor laws (if there) with next pick.

hat tip accepted :D

(i'm not right very often... leave me alone haha)

claymore
03-23-2008, 11:44 AM
(hijacked from the Mane) Mike Klis from the Post was on ESPN2's First Take as a Denver media representative doing a mock draft. He listed OT and DT as the team's two biggest needs but said they could go any number of directions with the pick. He mentioned Denver will be looking to draft a WR and P later in the draft.

Getting back to the pick, he said the Broncos love Jake Long who obviously won't be around at #12. Of the remaining OT's (which according to this mock draft was all but Long) he said they like Ryan Clady the best, however the Broncos believe Ryan Harris is a better player than Clady which may deter them from taking an OT. He said the Broncos would really like to trade down, possibly with Atlanta, Houston or Dallas. Forced to stay at #12, he believed the Broncos would take a RB. He said they were very high on Jonathan Stewart as their #12 pick until his recent injury but now believes they are very high on Rashard Mendenhall who would be an excellent fit for the Broncos one-cut-and-go system.

If thats a fact, then I am happy as hell. I just dont know about Harris, to include the surgery. Id take Mendenhall, but would love to get Long. Im sure Atlanta could use Foxworth in a proposed trade.

nevcraw
03-23-2008, 11:46 AM

This all but assures the Broncos will select a TE or CB.

Bronco9798
03-23-2008, 12:44 PM
I hope Harris can step up and do the job if we don't draft a LT then. I'm just not sold on Harris protecting Cutler for the next 10 years. Maybe he can, who knows. I'm not sold on it though.

dogfish
03-23-2008, 01:08 PM
:woot: :woot:

Drill-N-Fill
03-23-2008, 01:08 PM
Shanny is way too anal to let out any draft secrets. Shanny doesn't let the cat out of the bag till after the draft. What Kills says sounds nice. Just like all of us were saying. OT and DT primary needs. Clady sounds nice. Stewart is the best value pick. I'm glad they are not talking WR in round 1!

I would love to trade down if the player we target is not available.

TXBRONC
03-23-2008, 03:45 PM

Mendenhall would be ok but I would like Stewart better.

ydave77
03-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Shanny is way too anal to let out any draft secrets. Shanny doesn't let the cat out of the bag till after the draft. What Kills says sounds nice. Just like all of us were saying. OT and DT primary needs. Clady sounds nice. Stewart is the best value pick. I'm glad they are not talking WR in round 1!

dont get too excited...the position we talk about the least..is the way shanny may end up going...

i would love it though if the team truly believes Harris is as good/better than every LT after Long...

MHCBill
03-23-2008, 04:59 PM

Thanks!!!

honz
03-23-2008, 05:03 PM
I really don't think Stewart's injury will effect his career in any way.

dogfish
03-23-2008, 05:16 PM
I really don't think Stewart's injury will effect his career in any way.

other than maybe allowing him to drop a little ways and go to a better team. . . .

topscribe
03-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Mendenhall would be ok but I would like Stewart better.

I'm impressed with Stewart. I like any RB whom it takes half the defense to bring down . . .

-----

Scarface
03-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Shanny told Klis all of this....and didn't lie either.

broncohead
03-23-2008, 06:09 PM
that would be sweet if we could get an extra pick in the first day.

lex
03-23-2008, 07:57 PM

I question how much Denver going WR is his own wishful thinking.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-23-2008, 08:05 PM
well...we almost hafta go WR at some point.

Bronco9798
03-23-2008, 08:15 PM
well...we almost hafta go WR at some point.

Day 2...They are there.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-23-2008, 08:41 PM
So how pissed will ya be when they draft Mendenhall and Doucet w/ our first 2 pix?

Bronco9798
03-23-2008, 08:44 PM
So how pissed will ya be when they draft Mendenhall and Doucet w/ our first 2 pix?

If we take Mendenhall at #12, I won't be pissed at all. I just don't like taking a RB that high personally. I think we cuold wait another year for a RB and see how Henry and Young do this year.

Scarface
03-23-2008, 08:47 PM

I'd prefer one of the tackles but I would be very happy if we landed those two.:beer:

dogfish
03-23-2008, 08:47 PM

make it mendenhall with cherilus, baker, collins, nicks, laws or simms, and i'll be stoked. . . .

Skinny
03-23-2008, 08:50 PM
So how pissed will ya be when they draft Mendenhall and Doucet w/ our first 2 pix?I would'nt be pissed long, i could live with those two. Not who i'd want but we could do worse. Those are two pretty good players ...

shank
03-23-2008, 08:53 PM
man, what caused devin thomas' stock to rise so much in the last few days?!

i'm seeing him in the mid-late 1st all of the sudden:confused:

Simple Jaded
03-23-2008, 08:56 PM
...cuz I'm sure you've spent the time analyzing tape on both as well as spent time with each of them personally getting to know em, right? I'm glad you're so damn sure than you know more than the folks who have actually met these players.

A drunk monkey throwing darts at players names on a dart board could draft better than Mike Shanahan......

yardog
03-23-2008, 08:58 PM
...cuz I'm sure you've spent the time analyzing tape on both as well as spent time with each of them personally getting to know em, right? I'm glad you're so damn sure than you know more than the folks who have actually met these players.

I was thinking the same thing but couldn't find the nice way to say it. Thanks again Smilin.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-23-2008, 08:59 PM
A drunk monkey throwing darts at players names on a dart board could draft better than Mike Shanahan......

perhaps that's been his new strategy, cuz there hasn't been much to complain about over the past 3 drafts (MoC aside).

Simple Jaded
03-23-2008, 09:00 PM
perhaps that's been his new strategy, cuz there hasn't been much to complain about over the past 3 drafts (MoC aside).

We can only hope......

SmilinAssasSin27
03-23-2008, 09:00 PM
OK...who is taking all the posts away?

Don't u mods know I'm a post whore?

yardog
03-23-2008, 09:02 PM
It could also be a smoke screen.. Maybe we should judge our moves after the fact.

Simple Jaded
03-23-2008, 09:19 PM
It could also be a smoke screen.. Maybe we should judge our moves after the fact.

Good point, I just get carried away about Shanahan's philosophy on Olineman......

lex
03-23-2008, 09:23 PM

Of all the receivers in the draft, I think Doucet is the most overrated. Im not saying he wont be good, its just that for someone who is slotted for 1st/2nd, I see people Id rather have in the 3rd or 4th (yeah I know we dont have a 3rd).

lex
03-23-2008, 09:27 PM

Yeah, its amazing what happens after the last college game in terms of how players are perceived. But its good and bad. It seems with Thomas people have been pouring more over film coupled with his combine. During the season the buzz tends to be around guys who were on winning teams or guys who had buzz before the season. Thomas kind of flew under radar since Michigan State wasnt front and center during the season. But now that there seems to have been more film study, people like him more.

yardog
03-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Good point, I just get carried away about Shanahan's philosophy on Olineman......

I will agree with you that the Broncos should be a more talented team without some of the draft bust we have had. I disagree that Shanahan should bear all the blame. Even thought I'm sure he would tell you he does. The process is to large and to involved for one person to obtain all the facts and only one opinion to matter. I'm sure the inpute of the people who job it is to gather these facts had a lot to do with who we select. I'm hoping that some of the house cleaning will fix our draft issues.

TXBRONC
03-23-2008, 09:43 PM
I hope Harris can step up and do the job if we don't draft a LT then. I'm just not sold on Harris protecting Cutler for the next 10 years. Maybe he can, who knows. I'm not sold on it though.

If we drafted Clady, Long, Otah, or Williams I would have doubts because like the Harris they have not played left tackle at this level.

WARHORSE
03-23-2008, 11:47 PM

Yeah, but you forget one thing. Sundquist was fired, and its Klis that he went and cried to. Think its coincidence that all of a sudden THIS year he comes on ESPN and tells everyone what the Broncos like? I dont remember him doing that last year on ESPN.

It doesnt matter though. No one can go into the draft thinking the Broncos are gonna do a specific thing.......everyone needs to be flexible.

WARHORSE
03-23-2008, 11:55 PM
If we got Mendenhall and Laws, or one of the DTs, with the first coupla picks I would be stoked.

I even think we can get a WR, LB and OL in the latter rounds.

Perhaps we trade our second rounder and move down for Atlantas or Miamis second and third?

If we did move down, then I hope we pick up a chunk of Atlantas picks.

Scarface
03-24-2008, 07:09 AM

His stock has been on the rise longer than the last few days. A lot of scouts think he has the biggest upside of any of the WRs.

underrated29
03-24-2008, 08:23 AM

he is going to go at number 11 to the bills

turftoad
03-24-2008, 08:24 AM
he is going to go at number 11 to the bills

I hope so, leaves one more guy on the board for us.

underrated29
03-24-2008, 09:11 AM
yeah i do and i dont. Before the combine i thought we were locked to take him with our 2nd, but now there is no way in hell he lasts that long....I really wanted this guy, but to the bills leaves us with one more chance to get someone we really want-eliis,dmac- idont know...

LRtagger
03-24-2008, 10:41 AM
Yesssss

I still like Stewart more than Mendenhall, but would not be opposed to drafting Mendenhall at #12 if we end up selecting there. Trading back in the 1st, picking Stewart late in the first, and gaining an extra day one pick would be ideal IMO.

Easier said than done.

honz
03-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Yesssss

I still like Stewart more than Mendenhall, but would not be opposed to drafting Mendenhall at #12 if we end up selecting there. Trading back in the 1st, picking Stewart late in the first, and gaining an extra day one pick would be ideal IMO.

Easier said than done.
That is the best idea I have heard in years!:salute:

Unless, of course one of the stud DT is on the board...

Scarface
03-26-2008, 03:50 AM
Yeah, but you forget one thing. Sundquist was fired, and its Klis that he went and cried to. Think its coincidence that all of a sudden THIS year he comes on ESPN and tells everyone what the Broncos like? I dont remember him doing that last year on ESPN.

It doesnt matter though. No one can go into the draft thinking the Broncos are gonna do a specific thing.......everyone needs to be flexible.

Very good point! That would be crazy if Klis was telling the truth cause Sundquist was bitter and vengeful for getting fired. We won't know until draft day but this makes the wait even more intriguing.

Cugel
03-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Very good point! That would be crazy if Klis was telling the truth cause Sundquist was bitter and vengeful for getting fired. We won't know until draft day but this makes the wait even more intriguing.

Well, since about 1/3 of the Broncos Country Message Boards have been insisting on the same thing, I doubt there's anybody in the league who'd be surprised to learn that the Broncos are considering moving down and picking up a 3rd round pick, plus getting a DT or an OT with their first two picks.

That pretty much goes without saying. As for liking RBs Stewart or Mendenhall who else would they take at #12? That too is consensus. In fact all that entire article reflects the standard conventional wisdom going into the draft.

Unless you need a CB, the real value at #12 is going to be RB or OT, with a possible reach for a WR. All this unless somebody falls unexpectedly out of the top 10.

Unfortunately, the person most likely to fall is QB Matt Ryan if the Ravens don't take him at #8. He might fall like a stone.

Since the Broncos don't need a QB that just means somebody else got taken in the top 10 the Broncos could have used.

Everybody knows the Broncos would love to get Sedrick Ellis, or maybe Glenn Dorsey, but that both will be off the board.

Everybody knows Shanahan is unlikely to trade up in the first to get either player because he doesn't have a 3rd round pick and has multiple other needs.

If he could move up in exchange for a 3rd and a 4th round pick, he might consider it, but overall, it's not likely to happen -- and simply won't happen unless he can make a trade with the Ravens at #8 with Dorsey say, still on the board.

And this is assuming Shanahan even wants to take a chance considering Dorsey's injury issues. (He got burned badly with Paul Toviesi remember).

Lonestar
03-26-2008, 05:55 PM

I just have to wonder just who was really responsible for all of those, seriously bad drafts..

A: Mikey

B: Ted

C: Scouting staff

D: Gary

E: DC of the day..

We all know who made the final call.

Who was the biggest influence on making that call?