PDA

View Full Version : Report: Cardinals want a third-round pick for Boldin

Mr D
03-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Report: Cardinals want a third-round pick for Boldin

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 3, 2010 10:33 PM ET

Cardinals G.M. Rod Graves has made it clear that his team is willing to trade wide receiver Anquan Boldin.

But what would it take to get Boldin out of Arizona?

Michael Lombardi reported on NFL Network that the Cardinals "only want a third-round pick" for Boldin. That's not too high a price for a starting wide receiver.

But, Lombardi said, the big sticking point is whether a team acquiring Boldin will be willing and able to fork over the money necessary to make Boldin happy. In other words, Boldin won't just cost a third-round pick. He'll cost a third-round pick plus a big new contract.

Boldin said after the season ended that he wouldn't request a trade. But the Cardinals may have come to the realization that their offense is just fine without him, and that they ought to get whatever they can for him. If what they can get is a third-round pick, the Cardinals would apparently be fine with that.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/03/report-cardinals-want-a-third-round-pick-for-boldin/

underrated29
03-03-2010, 10:47 PM
He is worth it!

Denver Native (Carol)
03-03-2010, 10:48 PM
The third round pick sounds great. But if he would expect a big new contract, I would prefer to give that big contract to Brandon.

Mr D
03-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Yeah - it's pretty much you're giving a 3rd and you have to sign him to a new fairly large contract.

ikillz0mbies
03-03-2010, 11:16 PM
As good as Boldin is, his injuries and his big pay-day make me say "pass."

dogfish
03-03-2010, 11:33 PM
The third round pick sounds great. But if he would expect a big new contract, I would prefer to give that big contract to Brandon.

i was just going to say, giving up the third is easy, but trying to satisfy the financial appetite of a guy who's been STARVING for a new deal :rolleyes: forever now isn't going to be pretty. . .

if it wasn't for the fact that he's already made tons of loot by normal people standards, i might actually feel a bit sorry for the guy. . . he's always been a warrior and left it all out there, which is admirable, but he's getting close to the point where his ship will have sailed. . . he's still going to get a big contract, but if he still thinks he's worth just as much as larry fitz, i'm afraid that he may have to face certain realities that are out there for guys who are going to be on the wrong ide of thirty early during the coming season who've had an awful lot of wear and tear on their bodies. . .

he plays a physical game and takes a lot of punishment, and his production-- though consistent and excellent-- has typically been a notch below that true elite level. . . he's still a very good player with some good years left in him, and from a purely on the field perspective i'd be more than glad to have him on the broncos, but. . . if we did lose a year to a lockout, how much money to you want to invest in a guy who'll turn 32 a month after they hit the field again?

if boldin thinks he's getting the ten mil per year range that sets the bar for wideouts, i have a feeling he's going to be one of the guys that learns a bitter lesson about spending during times of labor strife. . . someone will give him a nice wheelbarrow of cash, but i doubt it's going to be what he's been expecting. . .

if he's willing to accept a shorter deal that's more in the seven or eight a year range it wouldn't be too painful (especially with no cap), but if he thinks somebody will give him four or five years at nine or ten per, good luck to him! at best, i would expect him to end up signing a deal with a lot of fluff, one that might LOOK like that kind of money in the total numbers but won't actually PAY anywhere close to that when it's all said and done. . .

turftoad
03-04-2010, 12:06 AM
i was just going to say, giving up the third is easy, but trying to satisfy the financial appetite of a guy who's been STARVING for a new deal :rolleyes: forever now isn't going to be pretty. . .

if it wasn't for the fact that he's already made tons of loot by normal people standards, i might actually feel a bit sorry for the guy. . . he's always been a warrior and left it all out there, which is admirable, but he's getting close to the point where his ship will have sailed. . . he's still going to get a big contract, but if he still thinks he's worth just as much as larry fitz, i'm afraid that he may have to face certain realities that are out there for guys who are going to be on the wrong ide of thirty early during the coming season who've had an awful lot of wear and tear on their bodies. . .

he plays a physical game and takes a lot of punishment, and his production-- though consistent and excellent-- has typically been a notch below that true elite level. . . he's still a very good player with some good years left in him, and from a purely on the field perspective i'd be more than glad to have him on the broncos, but. . . if we did lose a year to a lockout, how much money to you want to invest in a guy who'll turn 32 a month after they hit the field again?

if boldin thinks he's getting the ten mil per year range that sets the bar for wideouts, i have a feeling he's going to be one of the guys that learns a bitter lesson about spending during times of labor strife. . . someone will give him a nice wheelbarrow of cash, but i doubt it's going to be what he's been expecting. . .

if he's willing to accept a shorter deal that's more in the seven or eight a year range it wouldn't be too painful (especially with no cap), but if he thinks somebody will give him four or five years at nine or ten per, good luck to him! at best, i would expect him to end up signing a deal with a lot of fluff, one that might LOOK like that kind of money in the total numbers but won't actually PAY anywhere close to that when it's all said and done. . .

Yup. If we're going to pay big money for a WR, I rather keep Brandon, and the third.
Brandon is also younger than than Bolden so he should have many more productive years.

dogfish
03-04-2010, 03:19 AM
Yup. If we're going to pay big money for a WR, I rather keep Brandon, and the third.
Brandon is also younger than than Bolden so he should have many more productive years.

younger, and he has a LOT less mileage on his frame-- boldin misses at least a few games almost every year, and that's not likely to decrease as he gets older. . .

of course. . . if marshall was the type of citizen boldin is, he'd already have his deal. . . as it is, paying the guy is very legitimately viewed as a serious risk. . .

i'd love to have his play and his presence on the field here for the long haul, but i'd admittedly be plenty nervous if we signed him to a big deal. . .

i kinda wish we'd given him the higher tender just because it's a CHEAP way to hedge our bets on him for one more year-- it'd almost be worth it to give him one more chance to grow up, just because we happen to be in a rather unique circumstance where we'd be able to do it without committing anything to him long term. . .

OTOH, if giving him the lower tender indicates that we want to move him, as it would certainly seem, i do kinda understand. . . if we can get a quality pick in what's being reported as a strong draft year, i can see minimizing the damage and moving on. . .

boldin would be a nice short term fix if we do-- or antonio bryant-- but at some point in the near future we'll want to invest a first day pick on the position. . .

claymore
03-04-2010, 07:48 AM
Lets not pay any WR's till we have a good QB.

Nomad
03-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Lets not pay any WR's till we have a good QB.

I agree not paying a WR until certain things are fixed say like an oline to protect the QB better and give better run support!! The jury is out on our QB this year!!

If we don't fix any of this it'll be like buying a porsche driving on gravel roads, pay all that money and can't use it to it's full potential!!

claymore
03-04-2010, 08:00 AM
I agree not paying a WR until certain things are fixed say like an oline to protect the QB better and give better run support!! The jury is out on our QB this year!!

If we don't fix any of this it'll be like buying a porsche driving on gravel roads, pay all that money and can't use it to it's full potential!!

We arent a Marshal or Boldin away from anything. But we are an O-Line, D-line, QB and possibly coach away. So hopefully we do the boring drafting and get the trench guys the next couple years and see what happens.