PDA

View Full Version : Kuper, orton, Sheffler tendered

CoachChaz
03-03-2010, 02:47 PM
By Mike Klis

The Broncos have tendered three of their six restricted free agents. They slapped first-round tenders on starting quarterback Kyle Orton and right guard Chris Kuper. The Broncos also gave a second-round tender to tight end Tony Scheffler.

The tenders on Orton and Kuper mean if another team is able to sign them away, it would have to give the Broncos a first-round pick in the upcoming NFL draft. Orton is guaranteed a $2.621 million salary as a fifth-year player while Kuper would get $2.521 million as a fourth-round player.

The Broncos tender to Scheffler included roughly $600,000 in goodwill. Because Scheffler was drafted in the second round in 2006, the Broncos could have designated him as a “same round” restricted free agent, which would have given him a $1.176 million salary. Instead, the Broncos designated him as a “second round” tender which guarantees him a $1.759 million.

None of the tendered players, however, are happy because they would have been in position for multi-year, mega-million-dollar contracts as unrestricted free agents if not for the breakdown in the league’s collective bargaining agreement.

The Broncos have yet to finalize tenders with linebacker Elvis Dumervil and star receiver Brandon Marshall. Dumervil could get the highest tender that would include a first- and third-round designation and a $3.168 million salary.

Ziggy
03-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Adam Shefter says Marshall was tendered for a 1st also.

dogfish
03-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Adam Shefter says Marshall was tendered for a 1st also.

wow. . . so much for all the positive vibes! if that doesn't say "somebody please take him off our hands," nothing ever will. . . .

if they don't at least give doom the highest tender, i am going to break many things, and possibly several people. . . .

claymore
03-03-2010, 03:02 PM
wow. . . so much for all the positive vibes! if that doesn't say "somebody please take him off our hands," nothing ever will. . . .

if they don't at least give doom the highest tender, i am going to break many things, and possibly several people. . . .

Expect anything Dog, that way you are not suprised!

claymore
03-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Expect anything Dog, that way you are not suprised!

Having said that, why was Orton tendered so high? And why was Sheffler tendered at all?

I mean who is going to go after Orton? If they do why not get value for him??? Sheffler I can see I guess... Just weird IMO.

silkamilkamonico
03-03-2010, 03:17 PM

I'm surpried by that too. I'm going to start questioning w.t.f. is going on if we end up losing him for a 1st round pick that's below say the 15th mark.

silkamilkamonico
03-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Having said that, why was Orton tendered so high? And why was Sheffler tendered at all?

I mean who is going to go after Orton? If they do why not get value for him??? Sheffler I can see I guess... Just weird IMO.

The tender on Orton is just to make sure we don't lose him. This way teams can't surprise Denver if it was a lower tenure and drive up his price.

The tender on Scheffler makes me curious. Perhaps Quinn is someone McDaniels drafted and is not happy with. Perhaps Denver thinks someone will bite for Scheffler, in which is a good thing for Denver.

Ziggy
03-03-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm surpried by that too. I'm going to start questioning w.t.f. is going on if we end up losing him for a 1st round pick that's below say the 15th mark.

The tender speaks volumes. Looks like the Broncos will be happy to get any first round pick and part ways, rather than paying Marshall millions guarunteed.

dogfish
03-03-2010, 03:24 PM
PFT reports we just gave doom the 1st and 3rd tender. . . .

claymore
03-03-2010, 03:25 PM
The tender on Orton is just to make sure we don't lose him. This way teams can't surprise Denver if it was a lower tenure and drive up his price.

The tender on Scheffler makes me curious. Perhaps Quinn is someone McDaniels drafted and is not happy with. Perhaps Denver thinks someone will bite for Scheffler, in which is a good thing for Denver.

No offense to anyone, I just dont see any teams trying to sign him as a starter. So we are being uber safe/overkill safe.

Which is good, Im just suprised.

Tned-Mobile
03-03-2010, 03:26 PM

Yea. How/why they wouldn't put a first and third, I don't understand. If he stayed, he is easily worth the $3 million or so, and if someone signed him to an offer sheet, the Broncos get a first and third.

As a fan, I find this very, very frustrating.

Ziggy
03-03-2010, 03:27 PM
No offense to anyone, I just dont see any teams trying to sign him as a starter. So we are being uber safe/overkill safe.

Even though it's a first round tender, it's still a bargain price for a starting NFL QB. I wonder if the plan is to draft a kid and let him learn under Orton for a year.

Ziggy
03-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Yea. How/why they wouldn't put a first and third, I don't understand. If he stayed, he is easily worth the $3 million or so, and if someone signed him to an offer sheet, the Broncos get a first and third.

As a fan, I find this very, very frustrating.

Maybe Bowlen just doesn't want to shell out millions guarunteed for a player that has had numerous run-ins with the law. He might still have a bad taste in his mouth from the whole Travis Henry debacle, who knows?

silkamilkamonico
03-03-2010, 03:30 PM
The tender speaks volumes. Looks like the Broncos will be happy to get any first round pick and part ways, rather than paying Marshall millions guarunteed.

Great, trade him to the Saints for the 32nd overall pick.

We have needs all over the ******* place along both oline/dline, our LB unit needs to be upgraded, and now we have a significant need at WR.

In whatever case, if these are the decisions that are to be made, I am changing my expectations, and will be expecting at least 10 wins next year and a playoff appearance in the very least.

claymore
03-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Even though it's a first round tender, it's still a bargain price for a starting NFL QB. I wonder if the plan is to draft a kid and let him learn under Orton for a year.

Id like to see what our QB coach knows before we draft another QB.

silkamilkamonico
03-03-2010, 03:31 PM

I agree. I wouldn't give up a 3rd round pick for Orton. I do think it was just that, Denver being uber safe.

Spiritguy
03-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Gary Miller from channel 4 here in Denver posted this (http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/nfl.denver.broncos.2.1534728.html) about the tenders

The Denver Broncos are protecting their assets as the NFL's free agency period approaches this Friday. CBS4 Sports has learned that several key restricted free agents have been tendered one year contract offers to remain with the team.

The Broncos tendered wide receiver Brandon Marshall, quarterback Kyle Orton and offensive lineman Chris Kuper to first round offers. That means if another team should hope to sign the player, the Broncos would receive a first round draft pick in return as compensation. Should any such offer be made by another team, the Broncos would have 7 days to match and keep the player in Denver.

CBS4 Sports has learned the value of the one year contract offer to Orton is for $2.6 million. Marshall and Kuper were tendered at $2.5 million.

Tight end Tony Scheffler was tendered at the second round level. Another team would have to compensate the Broncos with a second round draft pick in order to sign Scheffler. Scheffler's offer is for $1.75 million.

The Broncos are in the process of tendering linebacker Elvis Dumervil. He's expected to be tendered at the highest level, a first AND third round draft pick.

None of this action Wednesday would prevent the Broncos from making a trade for any of the players listed above. The process of tendering players simply sets the market value for what the Broncos believe these players are worth.

Lonestar
03-03-2010, 03:37 PM
I'm surprised abit on Marshall but the rest are about what I expected.

They do not want to lose Kyle as he is getting the scheme, Kuper may blossom into a great ORG but I think they really want to see one more year under a Coach that knows his ass from apples about teaching a real OLINE hoe to play Real OLINE techniques.

That is not to take away from Dennison and his forte ZBS, but having never played the positions it is hard to learn and then teach something, The finer points are not something you get out of a book, OLINE for Dummies.

Doom will either get a decent contract offer or be tendered at the highest rate 1st and 3rd, this year again NEXT as he is still a 4th year guy.

Do not read anything into Schefflers offer that he is not happy with his choice, whiter he is or is not Tony is not a blocking TE period and thus is expendable they just want something for him of value because in other systems he can be a great receiving TE.

And NO the is not a great enough reason for Josh to redesign his scheme to keep the guy, if there was he would have been used more last year.

ANd last but not least they have the option to meet the offer sheet, that each might get and thus keep them a BRONCO. This is a great way to do business IMO from an Owners point of view. You can find out for sure the value of your players and then keep them IF you want.

Ziggy
03-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Anyone heard anything on Prater?

Spiritguy
03-03-2010, 03:44 PM
teaching a real OLINE hoe to play Real OLINE techniques.

that's just a funny typo. :laugh:

Carl
03-03-2010, 03:59 PM
I think its safe to say "Farewell Brandon. Please make friends with the terrible teams." Ya know so we get a good pick. I read an article on here that said if he was tendered at a 1st and 3rd it would be giving the signal that we were sincere with our kissing and making up. I see this as advertising to other teams. I do not expect him to be signed tho. I expect him to be traded. If the Saints or Colts wanna give up their pick for Bmarsh theres no way we let him go without some extra picks in there. We'll get a fair deal. Remember guys. Josh is experienced at trading away probowlers.

CoachChaz
03-03-2010, 04:08 PM
I think its safe to say "Farewell Brandon. Please make friends with the terrible teams." Ya know so we get a good pick. I read an article on here that said if he was tendered at a 1st and 3rd it would be giving the signal that we were sincere with our kissing and making up. I see this as advertising to other teams. I do not expect him to be signed tho. I expect him to be traded. If the Saints or Colts wanna give up their pick for Bmarsh theres no way we let him go without some extra picks in there. We'll get a fair deal. Remember guys. Josh is experienced at trading away probowlers.

Even if they were undeserved, "fluke" Pro-Bowlers.

Carl
03-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Even if they were undeserved, "fluke" Pro-Bowlers.

That's what Im Talkin About!!!! Dump the Cancer at its highest value. His stats were inflated because he was "the guy" in our offense. This system does not "need" a superstar WR. Someone like Gaffney who can catch the ball will do just fine for now. Its nice to have a great WR but it is not nearly as essential as a superstar Offensive Line Unit in our offense. If trading away a cancerous Bmarsh for Iupati or Pouncey is ever an option.............. How could you not hop on that? To quote WARHORSE, "Get rid of the flash, and bring the SMASH!"

MileHighCrew
03-03-2010, 04:25 PM
I don't think there is such a thing as a "fluke" pro-bowler. Maybe a system player, but not a fluke pro bowler. Even if there is such a thing, Marshall did make the pro bowl in 2 systems proving his worth. I love the smash but you still need to dash

UnderArmour
03-03-2010, 04:27 PM
This looks like Scheffler is going to be back because the word is that Greg Olsen is also available for a 2nd rounder. We could settle for a 3rd and that's a possibility, but I think when it's all said and done he's back. We still have a chance to match offer sheets and there will be a few teams that try to sign Marshall, there is still chance we bring him back.

T.K.O.
03-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Dumervil is not going anywhere
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 3, 2010 3:17 PM ET
The Broncos showed how much they value linebacker Elvis Dumervil Wednesday, placing a first- and third-round tender on the restricted free agent. He's due $3.168 million in 2010.

The designation is in contrast to Kyle Orton and Brandon Marshall, who got lesser first-round tenders Wednesday.

A with that, we promise not to post any more on Denver's tenders for Wednesday.

Barring a long-term deal, this is probably the last we'll hear about Dumervil for a while. Unlike Marshall, it's safe to say Dumervil is not going anywhere.

GEM
03-03-2010, 04:31 PM

Numerous reports out of the combine stated that no teams were biting on Marshall, no interest. Don't know if they just aren't showing interest in order to keep the price low or whatever, but they stated there was no solid interest in him.

Spiritguy
03-03-2010, 04:32 PM
direct fm DB.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Denver Broncos have tendered qualifying offers to five players who will be restricted free agents at the start of the 2010 league year on Friday.

Outside linebacker/defensive end Elvis Dumervil was tendered with a first and third-round draft choice while guard Chris Kuper, wide receiver Brandon Marshall and quarterback Kyle Orton each were tendered with a first-round draft choice. Tight end Tony Scheffler was given an original round tender (second round).

“Tendering these restricted free agents was a step we took to solidify our roster during these uncertain times with a group of players who are valued a great deal by the Broncos,” General Manager Brian Xanders said. “Our ultimate goal as an organization remains to acquire and keep players who give us the best chance to win.

“These are all high-quality football players, and we look forward to their contributions during the 2010 season and beyond.”

underrated29
03-03-2010, 04:35 PM
I don't think there is such a thing as a "fluke" pro-bowler. Maybe a system player, but not a fluke pro bowler. Even if there is such a thing, Marshall did make the pro bowl in 2 systems proving his worth. I love the smash but you still need to dash

How about David Gerrard this year....Thats a fluke.

Spiritguy
03-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Numerous reports out of the combine stated that no teams were biting on Marshall, no interest. Don't know if they just aren't showing interest in order to keep the price low or whatever, but they stated there was no solid interest in him.

With the current negotiations between the players org and owners it doesn't surprise me that no one wants to bring in guys that want big contracts. Just too many unknowns to commit to the big contracts.

T.K.O.
03-03-2010, 04:36 PM
direct fm DB.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Denver Broncos have tendered qualifying offers to five players who will be restricted free agents at the start of the 2010 league year on Friday.

Outside linebacker/defensive end Elvis Dumervil was tendered with a first and third-round draft choice while guard Chris Kuper, wide receiver Brandon Marshall and quarterback Kyle Orton each were tendered with a first-round draft choice. Tight end Tony Scheffler was given an original round tender (second round).

“Tendering these restricted free agents was a step we took to solidify our roster during these uncertain times with a group of players who are valued a great deal by the Broncos,” General Manager Brian Xanders said. “Our ultimate goal as an organization remains to acquire and keep players who give us the best chance to win.

“These are all high-quality football players, and we look forward to their contributions during the 2010 season and beyond.”

basically i think he meant....our nuts are in a vice because of the lack of a new cba,and we cant get anyone to sign a contract that allows us not to pay them if there is a lockout,so we cant really give the players a multi-year deal even if we wanted to.

claymore
03-03-2010, 04:39 PM

Not shocked in the least. The end of year drama didnt help. I really thought we could get people to forget who Marshall was.

Someone will take him, if he was a high quality guy he wouldnt be on the block though.

Spiritguy
03-03-2010, 04:40 PM
basically i think he meant....our nuts are in a vice because of the lack of a new cba,and we cant get anyone to sign a contract that allows us not to pay them if there is a lockout,so we cant really give the players a multi-year deal even if we wanted to.

pretty much sums up where I think all of the teams are sitting.

Carl
03-03-2010, 04:43 PM
our nuts are in a vice.

Woah!!!! Dude..... Easy on the word pictures. I aint diggin the visual:shocked:

T.K.O.
03-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Bears to make a play for Brandon Marshall?Brandon Marshall - WR - Denver BroncosMore team newsToday - 10:50 AM ET
One NFL source told Neil Hayes of the Chicago Sun-Times that he believes Brandon Marshall will end up as a Bear in 2010.

Marshall would be an intriguing fit in Chicago. He obviously has a good rapport with Jay Cutler and new offensive coordinator Mike Martz would love a toy like Marshall. According to Hayes, the McCaskey family has given GM Jerry Angelo the OK to spend $25 million in up-front money this offseason, so working out a trade with the Broncos may be the biggest obstacle. The Bears do not currently have an early-round pick in the draft.

Traveler
03-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Why all the complaints about Marshall's tender offer? It's a win-win for the team in my book.

They set the market by letting teams know BM is available by not tendering him so high. If they don't receive the type of compensation they want, they still have the right to match the contract offer he receives if they deem the money negotiated with the new team to be not so unreasonable.

They would also keep Marshall for another season at $2.5 million instead of $3.6 million if he doesn't receive an offer. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Nice planning on the part of the front office. Bravo!

Carl
03-03-2010, 04:51 PM
so working out a trade with the Broncos may be the biggest obstacle. The Bears do not currently have an early-round pick in the draft.

I think a rule is that a 1st round pick in 2011 is valued as a 2nd round pick in 2010. With that in mind. I would be more than happy to take their 2010 3rd off of there hands along with their 1st and 2nd in 2011. Realistic? Probably not. Awesome scenario? Hell Yeah!

dogfish
03-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Why all the complaints about Marshall's tender offer? It's a win-win for the team in my book.

They set the market by letting teams know BM is available by not tendering him so high. If they don't receive the type of compensation they want, they still have the right to match the contract offer he receives if they deem the money negotiated with the new team to be not so unreasonable.

They would also keep Marshall for another season at $2.5 million instead of $3.6 million if he doesn't receive an offer. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Nice planning on the part of the front office. Bravo!

i didn't complain, and i honestly don't think there has been much complaining in this thread, but if people are it's probably because they don't want him traded in the first place, and this is an indication that there's a good chance it goes down. . . .

Denver Native (Carol)
03-03-2010, 04:57 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/03/broncos-offer-first-round-tender-to-marshall/

The Broncos have extended offers to several key restricted free agents. The team tendered LB Elvis Dumervil with a first- and third-round designation, while WR Brandon Marshall and QB Kyle Orton each received a first-round tender.

The difference is worth noting, especially with Marshall, because the Broncos didn’t use the highest-possible tender as they did on Dumervil. The team could have also put a first- and third-round tender on Marshall, which would have paid him $3.168 million for one year and required any team that attempted to sign him to an offer sheet to surrender those draft picks if the Broncos decided not to match the offer.

Instead, Marshall received the second-highest tender, which will pay each $2.521 million and would require any team that signed him to send their first-round pick to the Broncos.

Marshall’s rocky relationship with the Broncos has been well documented as he sought a new contract. The wideout, publicly feuding with management for an extension, was suspended for the end of the 2009 preseason. After going over 100 receptions for the third straight season, Marshall was then deactivated for the team’s regular-season finale against the Chiefs by coach Josh McDaniels with a playoff spot still a possibility.

Marshall’s contentious relationship with McDaniels has led many to speculate the receiver will ultimately be traded this offseason, and Wednesday’s designation may only fuel the fire.

Dumervil, like Marshall, made the Pro Bowl this season after leading the league with 17 sacks.

The team also gave a first-round tender to guard Chris Kuper, while tight end Tony Scheffler was given an original round tender (second round).

“Tendering these restricted free agents was a step we took to solidify our roster during these uncertain times with a group of players who are valued a great deal by the Broncos,” general manager Brian Xanders said in a team release. “Our ultimate goal as an organization remains to acquire and keep players who give us the best chance to win.

Traveler
03-03-2010, 04:57 PM
i didn't complain, and i honestly don't think there has been much complaining in this thread, but if people are it's probably because they don't want him traded in the first place, and this is an indication that there's a good chance it goes down. . . .

Okay. How bout I wordsmith and change complain to consternation?:D

Carl
03-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Bears to make a play for Brandon Marshall?Brandon Marshall - WR - Denver BroncosMore team newsToday - 10:50 AM ET
One NFL source told Neil Hayes of the Chicago Sun-Times that he believes Brandon Marshall will end up as a Bear in 2010.

Marshall would be an intriguing fit in Chicago. He obviously has a good rapport with Jay Cutler and new offensive coordinator Mike Martz would love a toy like Marshall. According to Hayes, the McCaskey family has given GM Jerry Angelo the OK to spend $25 million in up-front money this offseason, so working out a trade with the Broncos may be the biggest obstacle. The Bears do not currently have an early-round pick in the draft.

Id actually be shocked if this happened. Look at the trades the Bears have made. 2009 1st, 2010 1st and Orton for a QB who didnt play any better than Orton. Then their 2010 2nd for Gaines Adams..... who died......

My point is I think the Bears just lay low for a while and keep their picks. Too much of this and somebody is gonna be lookin for work over there.

getlynched47
03-03-2010, 05:14 PM
That's cute and all, but the Denver Post completely forgot about Matt Prater.

Matt Prater is a restricted free agent! He was solid for us last season. Are we going to tender him or what?

Glad we aren't tendering Le Kevin Smith. We wasted a 5th round pick for that piece of crap. He was horrible.

Traveler
03-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Bears can still get Marshall, but it won't be easy
Posted by Mike Florio on March 3, 2010 4:50 PM ET

With the Broncos applying only a first-round tender to receiver Brandon Marshall and the Bears already sending their 2010 first-rounder to Denver as part of the Jay Cutler deal, the Bears can't sign Marshall to an offer sheet.

In order to sign Marshall to an offer sheet, they need a first-round pick. More accurately, they need their own first-round pick. The Bears don't have it, so they can't do it.

But it doesn't mean the Bears can't get him. They can work out a trade with the Broncos on different terms.

That said, would the the Broncos really send Marshall to Chicago, where he'd reunite with Cutler? Given that coach Josh McDaniels is carrying a 2-8 mark from the last ten games of his first season, the Broncos don't need to have Cutler and Marshall ringing up hundreds of yards and 15 or more touchdowns.

There's still a way it can happen. Someone else could work out a deal for Marshall, and then that team could trade Marshall to the Bears. It's complicated, but it's possible.

Unless, of course, the Broncos include a term like the one the Packers inserted into the 2008 trade of Brett Favre to the Jets, which increased the trade price to three first-round picks if the Jets had shipped Favre to Minnesota, Detroit, or Chicago.

Meanwhile, it's unclear whether anyone will really want Marshall. One league source described Marshall as a "shirthead" via text message today. Then again, there's a chance that it wasn't a typo, and that Marshall actually wears a shirt on his head.

That would explain the whole slipping-and-falling on a McDonald's bag.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/03/bears-can-still-get-marshall-but-it-wont-be-easy/

Nomad
03-03-2010, 05:32 PM
The Bears won't have a 1st rd pick for the next 3 yrs! :D Just think of the mischief Marshall can get into in Chicago on a Sat night!!

Boy, these tenders woke up BRONCO Nation today:lol:

Denver Native (Carol)
03-03-2010, 05:36 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9894

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- With free agency set to begin on Friday, the Broncos have tendered qualifying offers to five players who will be restricted free agents.

Elvis Dumervil has been tendered with a first and third-round draft choice. Chris Kuper, Brandon Marshall and Kyle Orton each have been tendered with a first-round draft choice. Tony Scheffler was given an original round tender (second-round draft choice).

"Tendering these restricted free agents was a step we took to solidify our roster during these uncertain times with a group of players who are valued a great deal by the Broncos," General Manager Brian Xanders said. "Our ultimate goal as an organization remains to acquire and keep players who give us the best chance to win."

All five players played in at least 15 games last season, and all played significant roles on the 2009 squad.

Dumervil earned his first Pro Bowl nod while leading the league in sacks with 17 and setting the Broncos franchise record in the process. Kuper has allowed just five sacks in 42 career starts, and started 15 games at right guard for the team in '09. Marshall headed to his second consecutive Pro Bowl after he tied for third in the NFL with 101 receptions, becoming the fifth player in league history to post three consecutive 100-catch seasons. Orton set career highs in nearly every passing statistic in 2009, and is now one of two quarterbacks in team history -- along with John Elway -- to record 10 games with a 90-plus passer rating in a single season. Scheffler tied for fourth on the club with 31 receptions while ranking third on the team with 416 receiving yards.

"These are all high-quality football players, and we look forward to their contributions during the 2010 season and beyond." Xanders said.

Starting Friday, clubs across the league have the option of signing restricted free agents to offer sheets. If one of the five aforementioned players signs an offer sheet, the Broncos would have the "right of first refusal," meaning that Denver has a seven-day period to match the offer and retain the player, or choose not to match.

If the offer isn't matched, the player would head to his new team, and the Broncos would receive the draft choice tendered for that player.

One important note: all the draft picks must be from the upcoming 2010 NFL Draft.

The last day for restricted free agents to sign an offer sheet is April 15, and the deadline for teams to exercise the right of first refusal to restricted free agents is April 21.

Spiritguy
03-03-2010, 05:44 PM
One important note: all the draft picks must be from the upcoming 2010 NFL Draft.

Of that whole article this is the most interesting thing to me. It doesn't seem to allow for a 1st this year and 2nd next kind of deal

Nomad
03-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Of that whole article this is the most interesting thing to me. It doesn't seem to allow for a 1st this year and 2nd next kind of deal

I'm I correct in saying this, that it sounds like the BRONCOS want to keep everyone but if a team is hard up enough they'll pay the price the BRONCOS have set!!

T.K.O.
03-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Woah!!!! Dude..... Easy on the word pictures. I aint diggin the visual:shocked:

thats nothin' check out jr's post in the humor thread....now thats a disturbing visual
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30243&page=2&highlight=humor:shocked::eek::shocked:

dogfish
03-03-2010, 06:04 PM

that's only a requirement if teams want to sign one of our RFAs to an offer sheet. . . once the player has signed their tender offer, we can trade them for any compensation we want, just like a regular trade. . .

so, we could trade brandon for someone's 1st next year, but no one can sign him away from us for that compensation. . .

Lonestar
03-03-2010, 06:18 PM
I gathered during the combine that most teams are/were not talking trades at all and agents were getting the cold shoulder from teams when they tried tot al with them.

Unless some team comes up with a blockbuster contract for BM he will be back, So that does not seem likely at this point committing to a "shirthead" big Guaranteed money as well as giving up their #1.

He is a great talent of dubious character as demonstrated over the past 4 years.

As for Orton or Kuper leaving I suspect that will not happens and as Much as I'd like TS to go I suspect he will be with us until someones TE get injured in TC.

Nomad
03-03-2010, 06:31 PM
I gathered during the combine that most teams are/were not talking trades at all and agents were getting the cold shoulder from teams when they tried tot al with them.

Unless some team comes up with a blockbuster contract for BM he will be back, So that does not seem likely at this point committing to a "shirthead" big Guaranteed money as well as giving up their #1.

He is a great talent of dubious character as demonstrated over the past 4 years.

As for Orton or Kuper leaving I suspect that will not happens and as Much as I'd like TS to go I suspect he will be with us until someones TE get injured in TC.

As BSD said at BM, a 3 way trade with Seattle, Bears, BRONCOS and the BRONCOS get their 14th pick back! Don't ask me how that would work but it was an interesting scenerio!!

Lonestar
03-03-2010, 06:34 PM
As BSD said at BM, a 3 way trade with Seattle, Bears, BRONCOS and the BRONCOS get their 14th pick back! Don't ask me how that would work but it was an interesting scenerio!!

In order to trade him outright he will have to sign his tender contract with us. Not so sure he wants to play here next year.

Why would SEA trade for him and then send him to CHI they need a good WR also.

I believe in the term KISS. To many people here trying to make things tougher than they need be.

THE719!
03-03-2010, 06:53 PM
My foot is already half way out the door with this McDaniel era... if we lose Marshall, Tony and Doom I am pretty much done with this team till a new coach.... go Avs and Nuggets and Rockies.... oh the broncos? A while ago we kept good players and got and drafted more good players and actually wanted a shot at the super bowl every year..... Not anymore....

Carl
03-03-2010, 07:28 PM
My foot is already half way out the door with this McDaniel era... if we lose Marshall, Tony and Doom I am pretty much done with this team till a new couch.... go Avs and Nuggets and Rockies.... oh the broncos? A while ago we kept good players and got and drafted more good players and actually wanted a shot at the super bowl every year..... Not anymore....

Dumerville is not going anywhere. Denver will match any offer unless its rediculous and even if it is the other team has to give us a first and a third. No team is going to sign Doom to a huge contract AND give us a 1st and 3rd. Hes ours.

Bmarsh needs to go. He's a headache. We dont need him. We can get a solid 1st round pick for him. Enough said.

Scheffler really doesnt have a place on this team but evidenced by the 2nd round tender he is probably staying here. With that said I have to believe that any team that tries to sign him will get him. A 2nd is so much more valuable than Scheff at this point. Realisticly tho i think he stays.

So worst case we trade Brandon Marshall for a 1st. I think we can all live with that. If not........ well:confused:.

broncobryce
03-03-2010, 07:29 PM
I need a new couch too. lol

silkamilkamonico
03-03-2010, 08:01 PM
A while ago we kept good players and got and drafted more good players and actually wanted a shot at the super bowl every year..... Not anymore....

Dude, quit living in the 1990's. It's 2010.

tsiguy96
03-03-2010, 08:07 PM
My foot is already half way out the door with this McDaniel era... if we lose Marshall, Tony and Doom I am pretty much done with this team till a new couch.... go Avs and Nuggets and Rockies.... oh the broncos? A while ago we kept good players and got and drafted more good players and actually wanted a shot at the super bowl every year..... Not anymore....

so this 8-8 team that had nearly as many points scored but significantly less points allowed is FURTHER away from the super bowl than before?

doesnt make sense, you can stop liking the team because players from our string of 8-8 seasons are gone?

THE719!
03-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Dumerville is not going anywhere. Denver will match any offer unless its rediculous and even if it is the other team has to give us a first and a third. No team is going to sign Doom to a huge contract AND give us a 1st and 3rd. Hes ours.

Bmarsh needs to go. He's a headache. We dont need him. We can get a solid 1st round pick for him. Enough said.

Scheffler really doesnt have a place on this team but evidenced by the 2nd round tender he is probably staying here. With that said I have to believe that any team that tries to sign him will get him. A 2nd is so much more valuable than Scheff at this point. Realisticly tho i think he stays.

So worst case we trade Brandon Marshall for a 1st. I think we can all live with that. If not........ well:confused:.

Marshall will is not a headache and i will fight you over a lava with that one

I need a new couch too. lol

thanks for pointing that out haha

Dude, quit living in the 1990's. It's 2010.

i am living in the 2010 somewhere in th 719!... but the fact is this team should of been fixed by now.... 4 years ago what did? a d-line, some WR help and some other things i cant think of right on top of my head this moment and thoes seam things still apply today

THE719!
03-03-2010, 08:13 PM
so this 8-8 team that had nearly as many points scored but significantly less points allowed is FURTHER away from the super bowl than before?

doesnt make sense, you can stop liking the team because players from our string of 8-8 seasons are gone?

but my friend we will keep going 8-8 if we ship off good players and bring in a good player to replace him and the rest then we ship off bad players then replace with bad ones and same with mediocre players... that's why we are going 8-8... for the record i did want shanny fired

tsiguy96
03-03-2010, 08:17 PM
but my friend we will keep going 8-8 if we ship off good players and bring in a good player to replace him and the rest then we ship off bad players then replace with bad ones and same with mediocre players... that's why we are going 8-8... for the record i did want shanny fired

that depends, if we ship off a great WR, replace him with a good WR (gaffney) and get a great OL, we have upgraded the team. some positions have more relevance to winning, and dominant lines are the most important, and we know how much emphasis mcdaniels places on good physical lineman on both sides of the ball.

give him more than one year and stop proclaiming that all this speculation is fact. let the situations play out before freaking out, and even then wait til you see the results. if you dismiss the team because BM and TS are traded, then we win 13 games, what will you say then? mcdaniels has a plan, let him play it out to see if it works.

rationalfan
03-03-2010, 08:42 PM
ugh. why are these players given tenders interpreted as trade bait? as someone alluded to earlier in this thread, i think the structure of these tenders was more about assigning monetary value to the players who needed contracts than lining them up for potential trades.

THE719!
03-03-2010, 08:57 PM
that depends, if we ship off a great WR, replace him with a good WR (gaffney) and get a great OL, we have upgraded the team. some positions have more relevance to winning, and dominant lines are the most important, and we know how much emphasis mcdaniels places on good physical lineman on both sides of the ball.

give him more than one year and stop proclaiming that all this speculation is fact. let the situations play out before freaking out, and even then wait til you see the results. if you dismiss the team because BM and TS are traded, then we win 13 games, what will you say then? mcdaniels has a plan, let him play it out to see if it works.

hahahaha gaffney is good? ok....

ya maybe giving up on him a year is too soon... but it is what have you done for me lately league... and what has he done? in a year he looks like he need some social skills

tsiguy96
03-03-2010, 09:02 PM
hahahaha gaffney is good? ok....

ya maybe giving up on him a year is too soon... but it is what have you done for me lately league... and what has he done? in a year he looks like he need some social skills

gaffney was the lone bright spot in the final game where we were destroyed by the chiefs. he should have been starting over royal, royal did nothing this year.

nevcraw
03-03-2010, 09:06 PM
ugh. why are these players given tenders interpreted as trade bait? as someone alluded to earlier in this thread, i think the structure of these tenders was more about assigning monetary value to the players who needed contracts than lining them up for potential trades.

then why not give marshall the higher tender?

dogfish
03-03-2010, 09:14 PM
then why not give marshall the higher tender?

probably because we're hoping to trade him. . . . :lol:

WARHORSE
03-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Lets just hope the Seahawks like Brandon...............

Or the 49ers.........................

Bring it to me baby.

DenBronx
03-04-2010, 02:25 AM
if we deal marshall then i'll be pissed if we dont draft dez bryant. gaffney IS NOT the short or long term answer here. he had 1 good game...and marshall wasnt playing.

Elevation inc
03-04-2010, 04:57 AM
lol i find all the tenders reasonable....at the combine there was little interest by any team over any player....as Jr alluded to many agents got the cold shoulder and left the combine early.....

we tendered orton a 1st rd pick becasue he earned the raise..he was making what 900,000 last year??? shows good faith by the org....

we even gave sheffler a extra 600,000 more than we needed to, we could have tendered him at original pick....which would have been 600,000 less than what we gave him...

seems to me that is another sign of good faith...kuper as well got a awsome pay raise for a former 5th rd pick.....

the tenders of sheff, kuper, and orton also ensure they stay in denver for anotehr year for a cost effective price....good moves my the FO here

now as for marshall.....a first and third would have guarenteed him staying in denver, but im not so sure a first doesnt guarentee that....combine interest by many sources was more along the lines of a 2nd rd pick....also many teams dont want to offer long tern contratcs with a 110% chance of a 2011 lockout right now....the head of NFLPA stated on a scale of 1-10 for a chance of lockout in 2011...well he put it at 14....many owners dont wanna lock someone up for 4 years when 1 of those years the player wouldnt play....and money would be needed for replacement players as well....

in my view the FO made some needed moves...in a time of much league uncertainty....

Dirk
03-04-2010, 06:45 AM
One league source described Marshall as a "shirthead" via text message today. Then again, there's a chance that it wasn't a typo, and that Marshall actually wears a shirt on his head.

That would explain the whole slipping-and-falling on a McDonald's bag.

Best lines in the whole thread! :lol::lol:

Dirk
03-04-2010, 06:46 AM
if we deal marshall then i'll be pissed if we dont draft dez bryant. gaffney IS NOT the short or long term answer here. he had 1 good game...and marshall wasnt playing.

The only bad thing about that scenario, is that Dez would be suspended almost weekly because he wouldn't show up to meetings and practices on time. :coffee:

claymore
03-04-2010, 07:44 AM
The only bad thing about that scenario, is that Dez would be suspended almost weekly because he wouldn't show up to meetings and practices on time. :coffee:

There is only room for one inflated ego in Denver!

nevcraw
03-04-2010, 08:04 AM
lol i find all the tenders reasonable....at the combine there was little interest by any team over any player....as Jr alluded to many agents got the cold shoulder and left the combine early.....

we tendered orton a 1st rd pick becasue he earned the raise..he was making what 900,000 last year??? shows good faith by the org....

we even gave sheffler a extra 600,000 more than we needed to, we could have tendered him at original pick....which would have been 600,000 less than what we gave him...

seems to me that is another sign of good faith...kuper as well got a awsome pay raise for a former 5th rd pick.....

the tenders of sheff, kuper, and orton also ensure they stay in denver for anotehr year for a cost effective price....good moves my the FO here

now as for marshall.....a first and third would have guarenteed him staying in denver, but im not so sure a first doesnt guarentee that....combine interest by many sources was more along the lines of a 2nd rd pick....also many teams dont want to offer long tern contratcs with a 110% chance of a 2011 lockout right now....the head of NFLPA stated on a scale of 1-10 for a chance of lockout in 2011...well he put it at 14....many owners dont wanna lock someone up for 4 years when 1 of those years the player wouldnt play....and money would be needed for replacement players as well....

in my view the FO made some needed moves...in a time of much league uncertainty....

Scheffler received the lowest tender of "original round" compensation. Although Scheffler was a second-round pick in the 2006 draft, by designating him as an "original round" restricted free agent instead of "second round" restricted free agent, the Broncos are guaranteeing his pay at $1.176 million instead of $1.759 million.

That's nearly a $600,000 shove to the edge of the trading plank.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14509001

Not so fast.. Unless I am missing something - and (no math is not my strong suit) They undercut Sheff by 600K not the otherway around.

Elevation inc
03-04-2010, 08:15 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14509001

Not so fast.. Unless I am missing something - and (no math is not my strong suit) They undercut Sheff by 600K not the otherway around.

lol weird rotoworld, PFT, NFP, shefter and many others reported it as second rd tender not original rd tender.......if he did in fact get original rd tender then yes he doesnt bank the extra 600,000....and that probally isnt cool....lol

also bill williamson reported that he was second rd tender not original rd tender....so with so many stories out im not sure what to belive.....

i guess we can concur no matter what that he aint gonna be happy about his tender....lol

guess the DP has the latest and greatest...those other sites are now reporting original second rd tender instead of second rd tender....so i guess its just lost in the burst of info that came out yesterday....full story probally wasnt hashed yet when i saw it on those sites.......being overseas i get info a bit ah shall we say differently....lol

Spiritguy
03-04-2010, 02:09 PM
direct from db.com "Tight end Tony Scheffler was given an original round tender (second round)".

G_Money
03-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Yeah, we weren't generous to Tony, we shorted him 600k over what some other non-2nd-round draftee would have gotten as far as I can tell.

Which makes sense, since he's not coming back. We want to make him a good bargain to someone else price-wise while still getting a 2nd rounder for him if possible.

I don't think it'll happen, and we'll ship him off for a 4th or something, but for the organization it's a smart play.

Sucks for Tony.

~G

topscribe
03-04-2010, 03:58 PM
Hmmm . . . first round tender for Orton.

So much for this alleged low opinion of him . . . :coffee:

-----

claymore
03-04-2010, 04:00 PM

-----

LMFAO!! If they liked him he'd be under contract! Or if he was good, another team would give us a first!

topscribe
03-04-2010, 04:00 PM
LMFAO!! If they liked him he'd be under contract! Or if he was good, another team would give us a first!

Yes that's true. If they liked Dumervil, he would be under contract, too.

And it is true Orton has received no offers from around the league. But then, of
course, neither has Dumervil, Marshall, Scheffler, or Kuper.

Guess it's a bit early? ;)

-----

claymore
03-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Yes that's true. If they liked Dumervil, he would be under contract, too.

And it is true Orton has received no offers from around the league. But then, of
course, neither has Dumervil, Marshall, Scheffler, or Kuper.

Guess it's a bit early? ;)

-----

We will see starting tomorrow. Scheffler, Kuper Meh whatever, but Marshall and Doom might actualy garner some intrest.

NOONE Will come to Denver wanting Orton. Maybe if he had a 3rd round tender, but he wouldnt leave to be a backup. The first round tender on Orton is just playing it safe cause we have Chris Simms is our alternate.

dogfish
03-04-2010, 04:45 PM

-----

means virtually nothing. . . at a unique time in NFL labor relations, no name scrubs and career special teamers are getting second round tenders from plenty of teams. . . with a complete dearth of talent available in free agency plus a one-time opportunity to restrict the movement of 5th year players through the RFA system, almost any player with even the slightest perceived value is being tendered, and most of them are being tendered high-- with little help available and a low price tag on even the higher tenders, it's pretty much a no-brainer that teams are going to keep whoever they can. . .

orton's the only thing even resembling a competent starting QB on our roster, of course we're going to keep him at a low price! it certainly doesn't mean that the FO views him as an indispensible long term part of the team. . .

if anything. . . if you want to "prove" his worth, i'd think mcD's comments about orton after the end of the season would be more useful-- he basically said orton will be our QB next year. . . as if most of us hadn't already figured that out-- there's zero available either through FA or the trade market, and this isn't generally viewed as a strong QB class. . . the writing was on the wall-- but just because orton was the best option available, that doesn't make him a great option. . .

besides which, i'm not sure what "alleged" low opinion of him this supposedly reputes. . . i can't remember anyone ever alleging that mcD and the front office don't like orton-- there's been no indication of that, unless you count bowlen's comment that we he wants to draft a quarterback. . . other than that single line, there's been no indication that the team has a low opinion of kyle. . .

and if you were referring to a low opinion about him among some of the posters here, that's not alleged at all-- it's entirely real, just ask clay if you don't believe me. . . :lol:

claymore
03-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Word! Microsoft Word! :werd:

Lonestar
03-04-2010, 04:52 PM
NO one except perhaps Al d, jerry and daniel are gone do much with RFA, because they flat do not want to be tied to BIG contract next year 2011. jerry is restricted to signing only the amount of players he loses.

Time to realized folks that the owners are going to play hard ball and the pie in the sky "uncapped" year is not going to happen the way some thought it would.

We will get some players to fill some holes on the LOS and then draft what else we need. not to hard to see that is what is planned

As for Orton if they wanted to see him go they would have put a lower price tag on him.

Lest you forget he is worth a first and the contract they offer him. SO not many will shop for him.

EVEN IF some one does sign him WE have first right of refusal to MATCH. If the contract is a not on the moon. We will keep him.

Since in a few Orton haters minds he is a back up only, just be prepared to see him under center next season. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ravage!!!
03-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Oh I'm prepared. I"m prepared to see a back-up quality QB start for us. Doesn't mean its anything other than "a have to" situation.

Like I said earlier... no one 'wants' to start the season with an Orton or a Campbell as starting QB. Sometimes you just dont have a choice or any options. We dont have any options. So although its not ideal, and although we don't want to have to have an Orton as our starter.... we are left without other choices.

claymore
03-04-2010, 04:57 PM
NO one except perhaps Al d, jerry and daniel are gone do much with RFA, because they flat do not want to be tied to BIG contract next year 2011. jerry is restricted to signing only the amount of players he loses.

Time to realized folks that the owners are going to play hard ball and the pie in the sky "uncapped" year is not going to happen the way some thought it would.

We will get some players to fill some holes on the LOS and then draft what else we need. not to hard to see that is what is planned

As for Orton if they wanted to see him go they would have put a lower price tag on him.

Lest you forget he is worth a first and the contract they offer him. SO not many will shop for him.

EVEN IF some one does sign him WE have first right of refusal to MATCH. If the contract is a not on the moon. We will keep him.

Since in a few Orton haters minds he is a back up only, just be prepared to see him under center next season. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I cant think of an available QB id rather have. Thats not saying much though. And I dont want to see a rookie because we dont have a good QB coach, or a real OC.

I think pretty much everyone expected and wanted Orton back for another year. For no other reason than its our only realistic option.

topscribe
03-04-2010, 05:10 PM
means virtually nothing. . . at a unique time in NFL labor relations, no name scrubs and career special teamers are getting second round tenders from plenty of teams. . . with a complete dearth of talent available in free agency plus a one-time opportunity to restrict the movement of 5th year players through the RFA system, almost any player with even the slightest perceived value is being tendered, and most of them are being tendered high-- with little help available and a low price tag on even the higher tenders, it's pretty much a no-brainer that teams are going to keep whoever they can. . .

orton's the only thing even resembling a competent starting QB on our roster, of course we're going to keep him at a low price! it certainly doesn't mean that the FO views him as an indispensible long term part of the team. . .

if anything. . . if you want to "prove" his worth, i'd think mcD's comments about orton after the end of the season would be more useful-- he basically said orton will be our QB next year. . . as if most of us hadn't already figured that out-- there's zero available either through FA or the trade market, and this isn't generally viewed as a strong QB class. . . the writing was on the wall-- but just because orton was the best option available, that doesn't make him a great option. . .

besides which, i'm not sure what "alleged" low opinion of him this supposedly reputes. . . i can't remember anyone ever alleging that mcD and the front office don't like orton-- there's been no indication of that, unless you count bowlen's comment that we he wants to draft a quarterback. . . other than that single line, there's been no indication that the team has a low opinion of kyle. . .

and if you were referring to a low opinion about him among some of the posters here, that's not alleged at all-- it's entirely real, just ask clay if you don't believe me. . . :lol:

Maybe I've accidentally wandered onto the wrong board, or maybe a lot of
posts have managed to slip past you, but I have read several comments over
the past year that Orton isn't necessarily well thought of around the league
by those who claim they know everything about it. (See, for instance, Post
nos. 79, 86, & 87.)

I don't know of the "scrubs" whereof you speak, but a first-round tender is a
statement that the Broncos value a player. How high do they value him? Well,
looks like first round, doesn't it? After all, which Tony Scheffler got a second-
round tender?

Oh, and McDaniels' comments about Orton in his latest interview could be
described as glowing. Came at the tail end of it. I think you can catch it at
DenverBroncos.com if you would like to hear it.

-----

arapaho2
03-04-2010, 05:12 PM
its a safe play..no more no less

no team whatso ever would be looking towards orton as a starter...but as a ufa they may be looking for a backup...with the ..aaahem..chance at starting...but noone would pay a 1st for a backup

all we did was guarantee we will retain him cheap for at least another year

its not lile the broncos think he is actually worth a 1st round

arapaho2
03-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Maybe I've accidentally wandered onto the wrong board, or maybe a lot of
posts have managed to slip past you, but I have read several comments over
the past year that Orton isn't necessarily well thought of around the league
by those who claim they know everything about it. (See, for instance, Post #79.)

I don't know of the "scrubs" whereof you speak, but a first-round tender is a
statement that the Broncos value a player. How high do they value him? Well,
looks like first round, doesn't it? After all, which Tony Scheffler got a second-
round tender?

Oh, and McDaniels' comments about Orton in his latest interview could be
described as glowing. Came at the tail end of it. I think you can catch it at
DenverBroncos.com if you would like to hear it.

-----

put it in reverse

do you think we would give up a 1st to aquire orton??? no freakin way

topscribe
03-04-2010, 05:18 PM
put it in reverse

do you think we would give up a 1st to aquire orton??? no freakin way

I have no idea. I don't choose to speak for the Broncos FO.

I'll let you go ahead and do that . . . :coffee:

But, you see, this shows the whole point is lost on you. The issue isn't what the
Broncos would give for Orton, but to what measure they will take to keep him.
And that measure amounts to slapping a first-round tender on him. That
implies to me that they have a higher opinion of him than you would have us
to believe . . .

-----

arapaho2
03-04-2010, 05:27 PM
I have no idea. I don't choose to speak for the Broncos FO.

I'll let you go ahead and do that . . . :coffee:

-----

yet you have no issue proclaiming they think he's worth a 1st rounder simply because they tendered him:confused:

topscribe
03-04-2010, 05:29 PM
yet you have no issue proclaiming they think he's worth a 1st rounder simply because they tendered him:confused:

See my edit in my last post.

And please do not tell me what I think. At least before you figure out what you think . . .

I'm getting a little bit tired of some of you people lying about what I have said.

-----

topscribe
03-04-2010, 05:52 PM
What is interesting is that first-round tenders were placed on Marshall and Orton,
respectively, for opposite reasons.

Consider: They put a first and a third on Dumervil. Why? Because they have no
intention of letting him go under any circumstances, unless it is a 1st and a 3rd,
and teams don't give up that for anybody--well, no one except Snyder and the
team that opted for our previous quarterback.

Anyway, why only a 1st on Marshall, then? Because a 1st and a 3rd would
all but prevent any other teams going for him. The Broncos seem to want to
deal Marshall if they get the right price. Hence, the single first.

Orton, on the other hand, was tendered a 1st so that nobody would go after
him. The Broncos want to keep him, so they locked out virtually any chance
of his going anywhere. Someone might give a first for Marshall, but they likely
won't for Orton.

That's the way it looks to me, anyway, at least one scenario . . .

-----

yardog
03-04-2010, 05:55 PM
What is interesting is that first-round tenders were placed on Marshall and Orton,
respectively, for opposite reasons.

Consider: They put a first and a third on Dumervil. Why? Because they have no
intention of letting him go under any circumstances, unless it is a 1st and a 3rd,
and teams don't give up that for anybody--well, no one except Snyder and the
team that opted for our previous quarterback.

Anyway, why only a 1st on Marshall, then? Because a 1st and a 3rd would
all but prevent any other teams going for him. The Broncos seem to want to
deal Marshall if they get the right price. Hence, the single first.

Orton, on the other hand, was tendered a 1st so that nobody would go after
him. The Broncos want to keep him, so they locked out virtually any chance
of his going anywhere.

That's the way it looks to me, anyway . . .

-----

I agree Top under price Marshall to move him and over price Orton to keep him because we have no other options at the QB position. :tsk:

arapaho2
03-04-2010, 06:06 PM
See my edit in my last post.

And please do not tell me what I think. At least before you figure out what you think . . .

I'm getting a little bit tired of some of you people lying about what I have said.

-----

so because you can edit your post after i respond that means what again?

topscribe
03-04-2010, 06:09 PM
so because you can edit your post after i respond that means what again?

Um . . . it means I edited my post? :confused:

-----

arapaho2
03-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Um . . . it means I edited my post? :confused:

-----

your making a point about my post by saying "didnt you read my edit"...which was placed there..after i posted

oh well cant teach an old dog new tricks:D

topscribe
03-04-2010, 06:31 PM
your making a point about my post by saying "didnt you read my edit"...which was placed there..after i posted

oh well cant teach an old dog new tricks:D

Here is what I said:"See my edit in my last post."

Where in that do you read, "didn't you read my edit"?

----

Ravage!!!
03-05-2010, 11:41 AM
EVERYONE knew we would put a 1st round tender on Orton. Even those of us that admit he's a second string talent. That doesn't mean we've changed our tune. Just means we understand we are stuck with him.

topscribe
03-05-2010, 12:12 PM
EVERYONE knew we would put a 1st round tender on Orton. Even those of us that admit he's a second string talent. That doesn't mean we've changed our tune. Just means we understand we are stuck with him.

Thanks for helping us to get back to the topic.

The fact remains, if the Broncos did not want to keep Orton, they would not
have placed such a high tender on him. They would not have placed a 1st
round tender on a backup QB. Backup QBs are a dime a dozen. Starting QBs
are what are at a premium.

The Broncos slapped the 1st rounder on Orton because they consider him a
starter. You might notice that he received the same tender as Marshall and a
higher one than Scheffler.

What is important is not what we think of him but what the Broncos think of
him. And people such as Xanders and McDaniels have forgotten more about
that end of the business than we'll ever know. So it is really their opinion that
holds credibility with me, not yours or mine.

-----

Ravage!!!
03-05-2010, 01:05 PM

that end of the business than we'll ever know. So it is really their opinion that

-----

It shows that they think he is the best option we have, as our starter. It doesn't mean he's not second string caliber player. It means he's the best we got.

Hell, Shanahan placed the same 1st round tender on Campbell. That tells you a lot, since Campbell is awful! It just means that coaches don't have options right now.

T.K.O.
03-05-2010, 01:09 PM
nd the F.O. may be under the impression that if the D (and ortons ankles)can hold up and entire season he might be one of the best qb's in the league as shown below.

Mike Sando's MVP Watch
October, 14, 2009 Oct 1412:00PM ETEmail Print Share By Mike Sando
Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

Listing Kyle Orton as a potential MVP candidate once would have seemed about as plausible as the Broncos opening 5-0 with victories over the Cowboys and Patriots.

Orton makes his MVP Watch debut -- at the expense of Tom Brady, no less -- because we're far enough into the season for results to matter more than reputations.

The Bears castoff has seven touchdown passes, one interception and that 5-0 starting record. His predecessor, fellow MVP Watch member Jay Cutler, was 17-20 as the Broncos' starter, never winning more than half of his starts in a season. Orton has now won 26 of 38 regular-season starts for a career winning percentage (.684) exceeding not only Cutler's but also John Elway's (.644).

To make Orton comfortable, MVP Watch welcomes fellow 2005 Bears draft class alum Cedric Benson, the NFL's leading rusher for a 4-1 team, to the list. There wasn't room for Mark Bradley, chosen by the Bears between selections of Orton and Benson, although the Kansas City receiver does have as many touchdown receptions as Randy Moss this season.

1. PEYTON MANNING
QB | Indianapolis Colts (Last Week: 1)
2009 PASSING
CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
133 181 1,645 73.5 9.09 80 12 4 2 114.1
Manning has earned a week off and he'll get one with the Colts' bye week, followed by a date with the Rams.

2. BRETT FAVRE
QB | Minnesota Vikings (Last Week: 2)
2009 PASSING
103 149 1,069 69.1 7.17 47 9 2 11 104.1
Passer rating jumps from 101.7 against standard pressure to 109.8 against added pressure. Blitz at your peril.

3. ELI MANNING
QB | New York Giants (Last Week: 7)
2009 PASSING
87 135 1,212 64.4 8.98 55 10 2 2 111.7
Only his brother is averaging more yards per attempt (9.1 to 9.0) this season and Eli is gaining.

4. DREW BREES
QB | New Orleans Saints (Last Week: 3)
2009 PASSING
87 129 1,031 67.4 7.99 58 9 2 4 108.4
Can move into the second spot on this list with a victory over the Giants in Week 6.

5. JAY CUTLER
QB | Chicago Bears (Last Week: 5)
2009 PASSING
83 129 901 64.3 6.98 68 8 5 8 89.3
It's a good thing he's playing well; otherwise he'd be hearing about Kyle Orton and the Broncos.

6. BEN ROETHLISBERGER
QB | Pittsburgh Steelers (Last Week: NR)
2009 PASSING
127 172 1,470 73.8 8.55 51 8 5 13 102.6
Apologies to "Big Ben" for leaving him off the list last week. He leads the league in completion percentage.

7. KYLE ORTON
QB | Denver Broncos (Last Week: NR)
2009 PASSING
104 165 1,236 63.0 7.49 87 7 1 8 97.4
Ranks eighth in passing yards, but no stat can approach that 5-0 record. Now 26-12 as an NFL starter.

i realize seasons are more than 5-6 games but the guy was doing his job well until his 2nd injury and now has had a full year to digest the system,so why would,nt they think he can be a very good starting qb here next year?

arapaho2
03-05-2010, 01:16 PM

-----

the problem is your thinking they gave him a 1st rnd tender because they think highly of him....wrong...who else is there??

sure we can draft a qb...but we let orton go..whos he gonne learn from or sit behind...simms?

what fa qb could we aquire as good to replace him..kyle boller?
its not like there are scads of talented starting qbs floating around

he's all we got until we get a good qb drafted, and give him some expirience..whether we want him or not, ortons all we got

Ravage!!!
03-05-2010, 01:23 PM
That was written in October of 2009.

As far as why wouldn't they? I guess that its possible the coaches and FO see the same things that most people do.

Even the owner, himself, has stated he would like to see us draft a QB. He's not talking about a hope to draft a back-up to Orton. The owner doesn't talk about drafting a 6th round practice-squadder. Even Bowlen can see (and SAY) that Orton isn't his hope for the future. I would guess he doesn't think Orton can be a very good QB.

T.K.O.
03-05-2010, 01:39 PM

As far as why wouldn't they? I guess that its possible the coaches and FO see the same things that most people do.

Even the owner, himself, has stated he would like to see us draft a QB. He's not talking about a hope to draft a back-up to Orton. The owner doesn't talk about drafting a 6th round practice-squadder. Even Bowlen can see (and SAY) that Orton isn't his hope for the future. I would guess he doesn't think Orton can be a very good QB.

but orton has proven that he "can be good" before his injury he was in alot of mvp talks.that cant be denied .he CAN be very good its just a question of can he maintain that level and stay healthy.
all owners want a good backup as well,and i would say bowlen's comments are far more likely and indictment of how simms played when needed last year and that all teams have to draft for the future than about how orton played

Lonestar
03-05-2010, 01:48 PM
If they did not think kyle was a good QB and agreat leader they would not have praised him nor stated that they expect improvement in his play after a full season and full offseason working in the film room as well as weight room.
Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

topscribe
03-05-2010, 06:53 PM
the problem is your thinking they gave him a 1st rnd tender because they think highly of him....wrong...who else is there??

Well, that and the fact McDaniels provided a glowing report of Orton in his last
interview, to couple with "we expect great things from him" in an earlier
interview. I know you're going to respond that he naturally would say positive
things about him, which might generally be true.

Two factors enter here: First, McDaniels is unusually candid about players. He
has not shown signs of being overly complimentary when compliments are not
due. Second, he did not have to pour it on like he did in the interview. (It is
right at the end of it, and the interview should still be available at
DenverBroncos.com.)

I believe you are projecting your beliefs onto the FO. They do not seem to
have doubts about Orton to the degree you do . . .

-----

topscribe
03-05-2010, 06:59 PM

There is a reason Mr. Bowlen hired a GM and HC, rather than doing the job
himself. It is because he knows they know far more about football and talent
than he does. In addition, McDaniels is the one who works personally with
the QBs and observes them every practice and every hour of every practice.

For that reason, I am more inclined to believe McDaniels than I am Mr. Bowlen--
not from an integrity standpoint, of course, but from one of knowledge.

-----

Denver Native (Carol)
03-05-2010, 10:47 PM
http://community.kdvr.com/_Schefflers-Agent-Begins-Looking-for-Better-Deal/blog/1934412/96399.html

It’s been 33 days since Broncos tight end, Tony Scheffler, missed the team’s regular season finale for disciplinary reasons. Within that time, both the Broncos and their disgruntled player have weighed their futures without one another.

Fox31’s Josina Anderson spoke to Scheffler’s agent, Bus Cook, to update where he and his client stand in this process.

“We haven’t gotten into that too deep just yet. We are just getting started. I think there is decent interest out there for Tony (Scheffler), but it’s hard to tell what team is going to be willing to give up that second-round pick. Hopefully I will know something soon,” said Cook to Anderson early Friday afternoon.

On Mar.3, the Broncos announced their decision to tender Scheffler at the second-round $1.76 million level, which could be viewed as a favor by some.

Although Cook acknowledged the lower tier makes it easier for Scheffler’s acquisition by another team, he’s unsatisfied with the possibility of his client earning less money if he can’t generate another offer.

“It is what it is. I am not still sure whether they want Tony or not. Obviously they don’t value him the way they value their other guys. Elvis Dumervil, Kyle Orton and Brandon Marshall were all drafted lower than my client, but tendered at a higher level,” said Cook.

At least Cook can look forward to exploring other options, and finding Scheffler an opportunity for a fresh start.

According to sources, the veteran tight end was overheard saying he wanted out of Denver following their 30-27 loss to the Eagles Dec.27. Some say this outburst was connected to Scheffler’s benching against the Chiefs a week later, and now indications are that Scheffler’s anger hasn’t totally subsided since then.

“We have the opportunity to negotiate with 31 other teams for agreeable contract terms; then if we do the Broncos have seven days to match. Either way we have to April 15th to pursue an offer. By rule we can’t generate another offer from our end after that except through the Broncos,” explained Cook.

Cook didn’t seem too concerned about Scheffler’s market status, because he’s always very emphatic in expressing his belief in his client’s performance.

Interestingly, Scheffler had his best year in Shanahan’s last season with the Broncos as one of Jay Cutler’s favorite targets, catching 40 passes for 645 yards in 2008.

However, last season his numbers declined under McDaniels when he caught just 31 passes for 416 yards from Kyle Orton, and scored a career-low two touchdowns.

His raising productivity prior to the arrival of the Broncos’ new regime is undeniable. So perhaps this serves some indication that Scheffler’s star may shine brighter elsewhere.

“Tony has led the league in yards per catch for tight ends for four straight years. If the Broncos decide they don’t want Tony, and they want to discount what he has done statistically, then that is their choice,” added Cook.

When Cook, who also represents Cutler, was asked if Scheffler’s personal feelings have been ruffled to the point of no return, Cook evaded the question on one end, but threw the hammer done on the other.

“I have no idea about Tony’s personal feelings, but I know that he is one of the best tight ends in the NFL and that he shouldn’t be coming off the bench.”

Ravage!!!
03-05-2010, 11:47 PM
I guess that answers that dilemma. They did put the drafted round, tender on him... thus offering him the less money instead of the more money.