PDA

View Full Version : ProBowl Goes Back To Hawaii for 2011

Spiritguy
03-02-2010, 06:59 PM
The NFL has declared the experiment of playing the Pro Bowl a week before the Super Bowl a success, announcing today that in 2011, the Pro Bowl will be played one week before the Super Bowl for the second consecutive year. As previously announced, the Pro Bowl is moving back to Hawaii in 2011.

"Playing the Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl generated more excitement and interest in the event and also kicked off Super Bowl week in an innovative new way," NFL Senior VP of Events Frank Supovitz said in a statement. "We are pleased to return to the State of Hawaii, which has embraced the Pro Bowl for 30 years."

The 2010 Pro Bowl on ESPN was watched by an average of 12.3 million viewers, the most for a Pro Bowl since 2000 and a 40 percent increase from 2009.

Next year's Pro Bowl will be shown live on Fox at 7 p.m. Eastern on Sunday, January 30, 2011. Super Bowl XLV will be a week later on Sunday, February 6, at Cowboys Stadium, also televised by Fox.

Found Here (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/02/2011-pro-bowl-will-be-played-week-before-super-bowl/?related=1)

Ravage!!!
03-02-2010, 07:01 PM
I"m shocked. The reports were that the pro-bowl had the highest ratings this year since forever. Not to mention record setting attendance. I figured that was the end of the Hawaii trip. I guess the players had more clout than I thought they would.

Spiritguy
03-02-2010, 07:05 PM
It is a bit odd that they kept the PB before the Superbowl but then changed the location back to HI. I wonder what the thought process was for that choice.

Like you said Rav, the money and attendance was higher in Fla this year. hmmmm.

WARHORSE
03-02-2010, 07:16 PM
I"m shocked. The reports were that the pro-bowl had the highest ratings this year since forever. Not to mention record setting attendance. I figured that was the end of the Hawaii trip. I guess the players had more clout than I thought they would.

Hey, hey, hey........slow down here.:coffee:

Of course the attendance and viewership was up. Number one, it was cranked out before the superbowl. AFTER the superbowl, its a huge LETDOWN.....the probowl is perfunctory after that.

Also, everyone wants to see whats up with a pro bowl in Miami.......of course the Florida residents were up there in viewership.

Anyways, I think the probowl will ALWAYS bring more attendance as long as its held around the superbowl and in the mainland, cause fans that want to see the players will drive from out of state to get there.

When its in Hawaii, theres only one way to get there...........on a plane.

For the players.........Hawaii is the best.

For the fans............I have to admit that its more accessible in the mainland, and if you move the location around, youre more apt to gain new attendance, always bringing in more people.

That being said.......BRING IT BACK TO HAWAII GOODELL!:salute:

Ravage!!!
03-02-2010, 07:27 PM
It is a bit odd that they kept the PB before the Superbowl but then changed the location back to HI. I wonder what the thought process was for that choice.

Like you said Rav, the money and attendance was higher in Fla this year. hmmmm.

Yeah.. I can't understand this. The two biggest complaints on the PB this year were that it wasn't in Hawaii, and the players that are in the SB won't be seen in the PB game. So why move it to hawaii, where the fans can't really go to the game?

I guess they figure they will still get more viewers on TV because its right before the SB, but the players still get the "reward" of going to hawaii for the PB.

Ziggy
03-02-2010, 07:32 PM
The true effects of having the pro bowl the week before the super bowl will be seen in about a decade. It waters down numbers for players trying to get into the hall of fame. For instance, 7 players made it this year that would not have if the pro bowl would have been after the super bowl as usual. I'm surprised that no one has talked about it in the media. I guess it's all about the money and the ratings.

titan
03-03-2010, 12:53 AM
I think the NFL liked how they could promote the Super Bowl during the Pro Bowl (like the halftime interview of the Super Bowl quarterbacks). Added to the build up for the big game.

Northman
03-03-2010, 07:12 AM
I guarantee the numbers will go down again next year. It gained some viewers just based off the change but it will be short lived.

gobroncsnv
03-03-2010, 07:47 AM
you mean people still watch this thing?

After the season's over, I just can't bring myself to care. It's more of a demonstration than a game. Oh well, to each their own...

CoachChaz
03-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Want players to play and fans to watch? Move it to Amsterdam

silkamilkamonico
03-03-2010, 02:06 PM
People actually watch the Pro Bowl?

I watched it once, and it was at that moment I decided to never watch another one. No blitzing? That's not football. Can they possibly make it any easier for the offensive side, which already prospers because of the rule changes? I'd call it a failure for whichever team can't break the 50 point barrier.

IMHO, no thanks to the Pro Bowl.

Lonestar
03-03-2010, 06:26 PM
I'm PISSED because that totally screws up Hotel space in Hawaii for a week before and a week after.

No one goes to see the game the stands are almost always empty other than low on the sidelines, after they buy cheap tickets and then move closer.

Where was the Superblow planned in 2011.

Broncolingus
03-04-2010, 10:22 AM
...I guess it's all about the money and the ratings...

...like everything else, eh Zig?

I think - overall - the actual game of the Pro Bowl is a joke and have never watched an entire game.

...I'd rather be golfing.