PDA

View Full Version : NFL hopeful says Broncos’ Royal “toughest” he ever faced

Lonestar
03-02-2010, 06:26 PM
NFL hopeful says Broncos’ Royal “toughest” he ever faced
By JEFF LEGWOLD

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels has said he’d like to figure out more ways to get wide receiver Eddie Royal the ball in the 2010 season.

At least one NFL hopeful would agree.

University of Virginia cornerback Chris Cook, one of the bigger cornerbacks on this year’s draft board, was asked Monday to name the toughest receivers to cover that he faced in his college career.

“Calvin Johnson, my sophomore year, and Eddie Royal,” said Cook, who led the Cavaliers this season with four interceptions.

That’s some fast company for Royal. Johnson was the second pick overall in the 2007 NFL draft having been selected by the Lions just after the Raiders opened the draft by grabbing quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

Cook said Johnson’s size and athleticism made him difficult to cover while it was Royal’s quickness and ability to come out of his cuts full speed.

McDaniels said this past weekend one of the goals for the upcoming season was to find a way to get Royal and other players, like Peyton Hillis, more involved in the team’s offense.

“There’s a few players, obviously, the productivity maybe the year before they didn’t match it again last year,” McDaniels said. “We’re not happy about that either. Eddie Royal’s kind of the same way, we want those players to continue to work and try to get better at what they do and then we need to try to find a way to integrate them in because they’re all skillful players who do good things with the football in their hands.”

Royal finished with 37 catches this past season and did not have a receiving touchdown. In 2008, as a rookie, Royal had 91 receptions and five touchdowns.

“He was tough for me, I know that,” Cook said.
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/03/01/nfl-hopeful-says-broncos-royal-toughest-he-ever-faced/

silkamilkamonico
03-02-2010, 06:30 PM
Royal yes.

I honestly think he should just cut ties with Hillis. He had plenty of oppurtunities last year to at least give him a significant look, and never did.

If he can get a mid round pick for Hillis, do it.

honz
03-02-2010, 06:31 PM
I'm not sure what was up with Eddie last year. A lot of fans want to blame McD and Orton for his lack of production, but Gaffney and Lloyd were able to make far more and far bigger (yardage wise) plays with the snaps they got than Eddie was able to. Whatever it was, I hope Eddie is able to make some plays for us next year. I'm a big fan of his attitude and toughness.

Lonestar
03-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Royal yes.

I honestly think he should just cut ties with Hillis. He had plenty of oppurtunities last year to at least give him a significant look, and never did.

OK I'll bite just when where these Opportunities.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

silkamilkamonico
03-02-2010, 06:35 PM
OK I'll bite just when where these Opportunities.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

When Buckhalter went out with an injury and struggled with that the rest of the year. When Knogain Moreno wasn't rushing very well at all in games, nevermind the short yardage issues.

If McDaniels isn't going to give a guy like Hillis looks in the situations he could have last year, he never will. Lamont Jordan isn't going to be our #3 RB forever.

honz
03-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Hillis was our short yardage back early on and he got stuffed too.

silkamilkamonico
03-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Hillis was our short yardage back early on and he got stuffed too.

Yea I certainly don't see the lovefest with Hillis. He was a pounding bruising RB in Shanahan's ZBS offense. So was Rueben Droughns.

Ravage!!!
03-02-2010, 06:38 PM
yeah... what opportunitites?

Fact is.. we've heard this from McD before. We heard it over and over again, each week when he was asked. He said the same things then. I love Hillis, and feel that heis just FAR too good a football player to be sat down as he has, and we do just need to cut ties with him. Let him go so he can actually play.

There was no reason not to find a way to get Royal more involved last season. I'm still trying to understand why it didn't happen then? What is McD seeing now that he didn't see before? Honestly, it just sounds like words to say to the media since they keep asking about the two players. Something to appease and keep them off his back.

GEM
03-02-2010, 06:39 PM
When Buckhalter went out with an injury and struggled with that the rest of the year. When Knogain Moreno wasn't rushing very well at all in games, nevermind the short yardage issues.

If McDaniels isn't going to give a guy like Hillis looks in the situations he could have last year, he never will. Lamont Jordan isn't going to be our #3 RB forever.

They shit canned Jordan last week. :dance:

silkamilkamonico
03-02-2010, 06:43 PM

There was plenty. Hillis only had 13 carries all year last year. Keep in mind Denver only had 1 RB a lot of games because of Buckhalter's injury and Jordan's disappearance.

If McDaniels couldn't find ways to get hillis more carries last year in our injury riddled backfield, I don't see any other situation that Hillis would benefit by getting more.

silkamilkamonico
03-02-2010, 06:44 PM
They shit canned Jordan last week. :dance:

Good. Dreams really do come true.

atwater27
03-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Royal yes.

Oh Jesus. Hillis is a good back. Your savior wasn't going to let him get any time in his personally selected backfield and you know it.

DenBronx
03-02-2010, 07:39 PM
i wonder if shanahan will bite on a hillis or sheffler trade?

dogfish
03-02-2010, 08:40 PM
If McDaniels couldn't find ways to get hillis more carries last year in our injury riddled backfield, I don't see any other situation that Hillis would benefit by getting more.

couldn't? wrong. . . more like wouldn't. . .

just sayin'. . .

and if that's how it's going to be going forward, i agree with rav-- if we aren't going to give the guy a chance here, the right thing to do is release him and let him catch on somewhere that his ability will be appreciated and he'll be given a fair chance to earn playing time. . . dude has a highly useful NFL skill set, he deserves a chance to get on the field and he can be a valuable commodity for some team-- he brings us ZERO value sitting at the far end of the bench. . .

before last year, royal looked like a young core talent. . . i really hope we can find a way to get him going again-- IMO it should be one of our offseason priorities. . . .

atwater27
03-02-2010, 08:59 PM

just sayin'. . .

and if that's how it's going to be going forward, i agree with rav-- if we aren't going to give the guy a chance here, the right thing to do is release him and let him catch on somewhere that his ability will be appreciated and he'll be given a fair chance to earn playing time. . . dude has a highly useful NFL skill set, he deserves a chance to get on the field and he can be a valuable commodity for some team-- he brings us ZERO value sitting at the far end of the bench. . .

before last year, royal looked like a young core talent. . . i really hope we can find a way to get him going again-- IMO it should be one of our offseason priorities. . . .
I don't get the Royal thing. he ******* DROPPED OFF THE RADAR. McDaniels is supposed to be this passing game guru that feed the ball to any receiver that can catch. And being as quick and sure handed as Royal is, how in the hell did he not become the Wes Welker of Denver?

tsiguy96
03-02-2010, 09:40 PM
I don't get the Royal thing. he ******* DROPPED OFF THE RADAR. McDaniels is supposed to be this passing game guru that feed the ball to any receiver that can catch. And being as quick and sure handed as Royal is, how in the hell did he not become the Wes Welker of Denver?

gazette springs broncos writer completely disagrees with you, and he says it often since so many people cry about royal. royal needs to get open to ever have the ball thrown to him. NFL QBs dont purposely not throw to open guys.

royal needs to step up his game, did it ever occur to you that possibly having a year of tape on royal allowed teams to remove him from games? you cannot take marshall out of games, hes too good, but a sophmore small WR?

The Glue Factory
03-02-2010, 09:43 PM

Is McDaniels on the field throwing passes? Point is it might not have been all McDaniels' fault. Orton may not have looked Royal's way that much. Then again Royal may not have been open a heck of a lot either (which I seriously doubt considering his debut game against Oakland in 2008.)

silkamilkamonico
03-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Oh Jesus. Hillis is a good back. Your savior wasn't going to let him get any time in his personally selected backfield and you know it.

Congratulations! You're slowly figuring this out I think....! Let's dance!

:elefant:

silkamilkamonico
03-02-2010, 10:35 PM

just sayin'. . .

That's exactly what I've been saying. He had ample oppurtunities to play Hillis last year and he didn't. I'm not sure why now he's saying he wants to try to find oppurtunities next year to get him out there. He had a plethora of oppurtunities this last year.

If he isn't going to use him, try and get something for him.

tsiguy96
03-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Is McDaniels on the field throwing passes? Point is it might not have been all McDaniels' fault. Orton may not have looked Royal's way that much. Then again Royal may not have been open a heck of a lot either (which I seriously doubt considering his debut game against Oakland in 2008.)

so because royal destroyed oakland in his very first game in the NFL (who definitely didnt see it coming) we are supposed to believe he became unstoppable in his second season and didnt have his own sophomore slump? or is it possible that once teams had a lot of tape on him, they found a way to slow him down, and now in his 3rd year royal needs to respond?

Denver Native (Carol)
03-02-2010, 11:54 PM

I believe it was Vic Lombardi who stated that it was Bobby Turner, not Coach McD, who determined who would be running the ball. Also, I think I found an article which stated the same, but not sure if I could find it again.

Lonestar
03-03-2010, 03:39 AM
I believe it was Vic Lombardi who stated that it was Bobby Turner, not Coach McD, who determined who would be running the ball. Also, I think I found an article which stated the same, but not sure if I could find it again.

I'm comfortable stating that BT was in charge of the running game and saw who got reps in practice. No reps in practice NO game time. I think he had a love affair with Moreno as HIS rep was on the line for that pick. Therefore he wanted to showcase his rookie.

Could be a huge part of BT not being with us anymore, Josh seeing that while he's gifted RB coach he only knows ZBS and will not be of any help. Now I know that someone will bring up him going to mikes team but remember they were not going to let him go either, unless he got a promotion.

We all know that Hillis did not touch the ball at all in 08 till there was no one left.

Now the only constant in that equation is Turner.

That is unless Hillis was schlepping Mrs. Mc D and got caught.:D

Elevation inc
03-03-2010, 05:26 AM

Fact is.. we've heard this from McD before. We heard it over and over again, each week when he was asked. He said the same things then. I love Hillis, and feel that heis just FAR too good a football player to be sat down as he has, and we do just need to cut ties with him. Let him go so he can actually play.

There was no reason not to find a way to get Royal more involved last season. I'm still trying to understand why it didn't happen then? What is McD seeing now that he didn't see before? Honestly, it just sounds like words to say to the media since they keep asking about the two players. Something to appease and keep them off his back.

royal was used as a deep threat last year....problem is he isnt that type of reciver...he is a quick shifty underneath guy.....im sure we will see royal take the full time slot role with gaffney outside....

and royal actually just wasn't that good last year on his own...he ran some poor routes, looked lost in timing with orton etc.....

Dirk
03-03-2010, 06:20 AM
Maybe Turner is racist and didn't believe a "white boy" should be running the rock. It isn't any more far fetched than other theories being floated.

I recall McD saying that he didn't use Hillis because of the FB possibilities, but he never used the FB much if ever.

I don't know.

As far as Royal is concerned, I think it was a case of him needing to learn the routes and get open. Also he dropped balls, which will make any QB leary about throwing to him.

Let's hope that Royal gets his groove this year!!

CoachChaz
03-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Royal had a good...not great...rookie year. It happens from time to time. It's also been know for sophomore slumps to occur. Anyone remember Michael Clayton? Or is Royal above all that simply because he's a Bronco?

Hillis had 1.5 really good games in 2008 as the 7th string running back and suddenly he somehow became John Riggins. he was a 7th round draft choice and buried on the depth chart under Shanny for a reason.

But...it makes sense that people can use 2 players that have proven nothing to as scapegoats to fuel their hatred for a coach. it's sad, but it makes sense.

claymore
03-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Our offense produced less all around. We threw less, had less first downs, put up less yards and points all around. After marshall the receiving stats drop off drastically.

atwater27
03-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Then again, Royal had a better quarterback feeding him the ball his rookie season. And a better head coach.

claymore
03-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Then again, Royal had a better quarterback feeding him the ball his rookie season. And a better head coach.

LOL, that is the short cut answer!

CoachChaz
03-03-2010, 09:51 AM

Yeah...Cutler is an AWESOME QB. His attitude, leadership and numbers have proven that. :rolleyes:

...and Shanahan has accomplished so much the last 10 years. Why he didnt win more is beyond me. Must have been because of the bad players and defenses that OTHER people put on the field.

Mike
03-03-2010, 10:21 AM
It is totally confusing how a first year HC installing a new offense with new players could have a less productive year than a HOF caliber coach who has run the same offensive system for years. Totally confusing. :rolleyes:

claymore
03-03-2010, 10:29 AM
It is totally confusing how a first year HC installing a new offense with new players could have a less productive year than a HOF caliber coach who has run the same offensive system for years. Totally confusing. :rolleyes:

Its called Progress Mike.

CoachChaz
03-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Its called Progress Mike.

...and completely changing a mediocre, decade long trend is suppose to happen in less than a year. yeah...that makes sense.

honz
03-03-2010, 10:54 AM
How many playoff wins had we had since Elway retired?

Also, how do you explain Gaffney and Brandon Lloyd being far more productive than Royal with their snaps if it was all the QB and coach's fault?

claymore
03-03-2010, 10:54 AM
...and completely changing a mediocre, decade long trend is suppose to happen in less than a year. yeah...that makes sense.

Making it worse makes even less sense.

honz
03-03-2010, 10:57 AM

Go check our records from the last season with Shanny and first season with McD. They look pretty similar, if not identical.

claymore
03-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Go check our records from the last season with Shanny and first season with McD. They look pretty similar, if not identical.

Thank you Mike Nolan.

honz
03-03-2010, 11:01 AM
Thank you Mike Nolan.

Our D sucked in the 2nd half of the season. Also, who brought in Nolan and all of the new defensive players? And wasn't the tipping point for Shanny getting fired because he wouldn't make any changes to a defense that sucked ass, or do you miss Slowick?

CoachChaz
03-03-2010, 11:03 AM

It's called transistion. To expect a 14 year culture and all of it's components to be completely improved and replaced in less than a year is insane. Sometimes you have to take one step back in order to take 2 steps forward.

SO the offense regressed, the defense improved and a supposedly "weaker" team with a hoorible rookie head coach went into a season with a very tough schedule and posted the same record the previous false idol was posting. That's making it worse?

claymore
03-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Our D sucked in the 2nd half of the season. Also, who brought in Nolan and all of the new defensive players? And wasn't the tipping point for Shanny getting fired because he wouldn't make any changes to a defense that sucked ass, or do you miss Slowick?

Brian Xanders brought in Nolan, and all the new players. And just because I think McD is a crappy coach that wont last another 2 years doesnt mean I miss Slowick.

Mike
03-03-2010, 11:05 AM

Not really. It is makes sense that installing a new offense with new players will result in a less productivity than running with a coach who has used his system for 10+ years. At least to anyone who is unbiased.

The jury is out on McD. I am no blind supporter of his...I have liked some of what I have seen and not like other stuff. However, to use his first year against him is not logical. Let's see how the offense fairs this year and I will be more inclined to fall one way or the other.

claymore
03-03-2010, 11:06 AM
It's called transistion. To expect a 14 year culture and all of it's components to be completely improved and replaced in less than a year is insane. Sometimes you have to take one step back in order to take 2 steps forward.

SO the offense regressed, the defense improved and a supposedly "weaker" team with a hoorible rookie head coach went into a season with a very tough schedule and posted the same record the previous false idol was posting. That's making it worse?

Unfortunatley the step back might be a 3 year process.

honz
03-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Brian Xanders brought in Nolan, and all the new players. And just because I think McD is a crappy coach that wont last another 2 years doesnt mean I miss Slowick.
Oh so all the bad pickups and trades you blame on McDaniels, but the moves you liked you credit to Xanders? Convenient. Who brought in Xanders?

weazel
03-03-2010, 11:08 AM
if Royal was the hardest player this guy ever faced, he is going to get lit up in the NFL...

honz
03-03-2010, 11:08 AM

Again, I haven't seen a step back yet. 8-8 is 8-8 whether you put up pretty passing numbers or not.

CoachChaz
03-03-2010, 11:12 AM

But there is no sign of that. We had the same record with a lesser accomplished offense. That doesnt mean that the personnel, game plan and offense in general cant and wont improve. Just like any other facet of life, you have to make mistakes to learn.

If we come out of the 2010 season with similar results as this past season, then I'll start asking deeper questions, but until we see any kind of a negative trend, it's a waste of time, stress and energy to ASSUME the team is headed in the wrong direction.

Nomad
03-03-2010, 11:18 AM
If people are willing to give players time (years) to develop and make excuses for them then I don't see how a rookie head coach isn't given the same opportunity especially when all coaches come in with their own philosophies/schemes. As many have said give the man his time. I'm not sold on Mcdaniels either because he hasn't proven himself then again he's a rookie!!

claymore
03-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Not really. It is makes sense that installing a new offense with new players will result in a less productivity than running with a coach who has used his system for 10+ years. At least to anyone who is unbiased.

The jury is out on McD. I am no blind supporter of his...I have liked some of what I have seen and not like other stuff. However, to use his first year against him is not logical. Let's see how the offense fairs this year and I will be more inclined to fall one way or the other.He sold Bowlen on the playoffs and working with Cutler.

Oh so all the bad pickups and trades you blame on McDaniels, but the moves you liked you credit to Xanders? Convenient. Who brought in Xanders?I think Shannahan brought in Xanders?

and Yes.

Again, I haven't seen a step back yet. 8-8 is 8-8 whether you put up pretty passing numbers or not.
Worst meltdown in Broncos history tied for worst meltdown in NFL history.

But there is no sign of that. We had the same record with a lesser accomplished offense. That doesnt mean that the personnel, game plan and offense in general cant and wont improve. Just like any other facet of life, you have to make mistakes to learn.

If we come out of the 2010 season with similar results as this past season, then I'll start asking deeper questions, but until we see any kind of a negative trend, it's a waste of time, stress and energy to ASSUME the team is headed in the wrong direction.If you cant see the negative trend with McDaniels you never will.

claymore
03-03-2010, 11:24 AM
If people are willing to give players time (years) to develop and make excuses for them then I don't see how a rookie head coach isn't given the same opportunity especially when all coaches come in with their own philosophies/schemes. As many have said give the man his time. I'm not sold on Mcdaniels either because he hasn't proven himself then again he's a rookie!!

From now on Id like my HC's to make their rookie mistakes on other teams!

Nomad
03-03-2010, 11:27 AM

I hear what you mean, but we have a rookie HC and have to give him his due!!

CoachChaz
03-03-2010, 11:29 AM

Good news...he's no longer a rookie

claymore
03-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Good news...he's no longer a rookie

But he still sucks! :D J/K... Hopefully it gets better. I hate all the drama.

CoachChaz
03-03-2010, 11:37 AM
But he still sucks! :D J/K... Hopefully it gets better. I hate all the drama.

No one can begrudge someone for disliking drama. It stresses me out as a fan as well. I think the problem most haters have is the change. It's all new and that creates fear and doubt. Just have to give it time and see what happens.

claymore
03-03-2010, 11:56 AM
No one can begrudge someone for disliking drama. It stresses me out as a fan as well. I think the problem most haters have is the change. It's all new and that creates fear and doubt. Just have to give it time and see what happens.

Yes. My main issue is that Ive always hated the patriots offense. Couple that my second favorite player of all time was traded, and I have issues.

CoachChaz
03-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Yes. My main issue is that Ive always hated the patriots offense. Couple that my second favorite player of all time was traded, and I have issues.

It's understandable. But as long as it benefits the team...I'm all for the necessary changes

claymore
03-03-2010, 12:11 PM
It's understandable. But as long as it benefits the team...I'm all for the necessary changes
In the end thats what im concerned with. It would be a costly experiment (to me) if it didnt benifit the team greatly.

CoachChaz
03-03-2010, 12:17 PM
In the end thats what im concerned with. It would be a costly experiment (to me) if it didnt benifit the team greatly.

Look at how it' paying off already. Defense has changed and is improved and McD will surely get the offense turned around. I can understand frustration with some things, but I find it hard to see how open-minded people cant be excited about the potential this team has in the future

claymore
03-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Look at how it' paying off already. Defense has changed and is improved and McD will surely get the offense turned around. I can understand frustration with some things, but I find it hard to see how open-minded people cant be excited about the potential this team has in the future

The best players on our defense are close to retirement, we lost the best DC we've had in years. Only thing I can think of to be positive about is maybe Ayers? A. Smith maybe? McBath???

Its really a reach for me to get excited about any direction this team has moved in.

I just dont see it.

CoachChaz
03-03-2010, 12:36 PM
The best players on our defense are close to retirement, we lost the best DC we've had in years. Only thing I can think of to be positive about is maybe Ayers? A. Smith maybe? McBath???

Its really a reach for me to get excited about any direction this team has moved in.

I just dont see it.

I think the mentality is what it comes down to. Martindale shares the philosophy that Nolan had and I think may actually have more passion. Add in the potential of Ayers, Doom and the new DB's along with another draft and future FA's and the defense should be fine.

If all we are going to do is dwell on the what-if's, we have a choice to make those what-if's positive or negative. The decision we come to is what will drive our argument. To each their own...just look at both sides of the coin

claymore
03-03-2010, 01:12 PM
I think the mentality is what it comes down to. Martindale shares the philosophy that Nolan had and I think may actually have more passion. Add in the potential of Ayers, Doom and the new DB's along with another draft and future FA's and the defense should be fine.

If all we are going to do is dwell on the what-if's, we have a choice to make those what-if's positive or negative. The decision we come to is what will drive our argument. To each their own...just look at both sides of the coin

For every step forward I thought we made (Moreno) I thought we took several steps back (Nolan, Trades for Smith and Quinn).

I am positive about the Martindale promotion, but disapointed with the QB coach hire. and for all I know Martindale will wash out, but Ben McDaniels will be a winner.

Just my opinion. I try not to get upset or overly excited about it anymore.

arapaho2
03-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Royal yes.

yea we can really judge a guy off of 13 attempts in 09 :rolleyes:

but his 68 attemts with a 5.0 ypc ave and 5 rushing tds in limited time as a rookie means nothing right

me :lol: @ silk