PDA

View Full Version : Plenty for Broncos to see at scouting combine

Lonestar
03-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Plenty for Broncos to see at scouting combine
By JEFF LEGWOLD

INDIANAPOLIS — The defensive backs just wrapped up their workouts at Lucas Oil Field this afternoon, putting a tidy bow on this year’s NFL scouting combine and the Broncos as well as everyone else in the NFL came away with some clear impressions about this year’s draft class.

–This was as prepared a group of players, as a whole, that has ever worked out at the combine. It’s rare anyone shows up out of shape or not ready to go. So much so that the few healthy players who chose not to work out may have hurt themselves in some teams’ eyes.

Even a player like quarterback Dan LeFevour, who elected not to throw to moving receivers, has even a little more to prove on his pro day.

–Teams, like the Broncos, looking for help in the offensive and defensive lines, have a quality draft board to peruse. There is depth in both areas and teams will find productive players deep into the selection weekend.

The groups are led by defensive tackles Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy, who dazzled scouts both on the field and in the team interviews.

–After Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford the quarterback picture is still unclear. There is still room for one or two to move up on the boards.

–Speed still thrills. The buzz this afternoon was all about USC safety Taylor Mays, who blistered the 40-yard dash. Some scouts had him at 4.28 or 4.26 — hand-timed — after he had tipped the scales at over 230 pounds.

Even the most jaded of scouts was still talking about Mays as they made their way back to their downtown hotels.
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/03/02/plenty-for-broncos-to-see-at-scouting-combine/

WARHORSE
03-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Im not too sure on Mays.

I like a big, head knocking safety, but I just dont see it enough out of him.
Not enough plays on the ball.

Perhaps opposing teams specifically tried to keep their WRs from roaming into his area so as not to get them killed?

I guess its a possibility. He sure looked alot smoother in the drills than he does in pads.

Was it his coaching?

We better go look at his tape more.

Maybe top of the second if hes there and things pan out. I doubt the NFL teams will allow him to drop that far.

I want the trench players.

Ziggy
03-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Everyone knew Mays would put up eye popping numbers at the combine. He's a physical freak. Unfortunately for him, his production on the field doesn't match his production in shorts. A team will still probably spend a 1st on him come draft day. I just hope it's not the Broncos.

hamrob
03-02-2010, 09:04 PM
I've liked Mays for the last 3yrs. He reminds me of Atwater. I understand what Mayock is saying...but, he's basing it solely on Int's. Mays was looking to take peoples heads off...not at intercepting the ball. He's going to be a stud...more so, in a 4-3 where he can come up and be that 8th man in the box. He's worth a 1st round pick...somewhere in the 15 to 25 range. A year ago he would have went 10-15. This is a deep draft.

If we were selecting in the 20's I'd be fine with taking Mays. Can you imagine this kid learning from Dawkins....ouch!