PDA

View Full Version : Velvet Revolver is no longer

aberdien
03-21-2008, 11:52 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=93384

:wave:

MOtorboat
03-22-2008, 08:27 AM
Well, this sucks. Maybe...getting back with STP...can that be a good thing or a bad thing...

According to several fan accounts and online media reports, VELVET REVOLVER frontman Scott Weiland stunned fans at last night's (Thursday, March 20) VR concert in Glasgow, Scotland, UK by dropping a huge hint the band's time may be up.

He told the sell-out crowd: "You're watching something special... the last tour by VELVET REVOLVER."

A fan who attended last night's show wrote on the band's forum, "Once [Scott announced from the stage that this was VR's last tour], Slash [guitar], Duff [McKagan, bass], Matt [Sorum, drums] and Dave [Kushner, guitar] all looked at each other. They sang 'Fall to Pieces', then Scott goes over to the side of the stage and argues with the sound guy. After a couple of songs, he threw his mic down and walked off. After a long wait, Duff came out with the band and sang the start of 'It's So Easy'. Scott shows up about half way through, sang really half-assed then gone again..."

In an online posting from earlier today, VELVET REVOLVER drummer Matt Sorum stated about the Glasgow concert, "So last night was interesting. Had a little band turmoil on stage, as you probably all could tell.

"Being in a band is a lot like being in a relationship. Sometimes you just don't get along. I guess there has been more turmoil lately, I guess, with the cancellations and all. It has been frustrating, I am not going to lie.

"My career and life in rock 'n' roll has come with its ups and downs. Unfortunately, some people in this business don't realize how great of a life they have. Touring the world, meeting great people and fans all over the world. And just playing music for a living. I feel truly blessed. But sometimes the road can be draining for some. Being away from home and family does grind on you sometimes. With all the travelling and different beds. Personally, I love this shit and sometimes can’t believe I am so lucky to still be doing what I do for a living.

"Everybody could see who was unhappy last night, but all I can say is let's keep the rock alive, people!!!! In this life, you just pick up and keep moving. And don't ever let anybody stand in your way."

Weiland, who recently spent time in rehab at an undisclosed location, has struggled with substance abuse problems for more than a decade, although was reportedly clean for nearly four years until a few months ago. Questions about his condition flared in January when he missed a VELVET REVOLVER performance at the Sundance Film Festival in Utah, claiming transportation problems.

Weiland will reunite with his STONE TEMPLE PILOTS bandmates for the first time this spring/summer for a number of shows, including an appearance at the Rock on the Range festival, to be held May 17-18 at Columbus, Ohio's Columbus Crew Stadium.

MOtorboat
03-22-2008, 08:29 AM
Sounds like Scott might be back on the drugs...

Slither, one of the better rock songs written recently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vewm5l-i-yw

Davii
03-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Sounds like Scott might be back on the drugs...

Slither, one of the better rock songs written recently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vewm5l-i-yw

I hope he's not back on the drugs. If he is whether they get STP back together or not won't matter.

Either way, if Velvet Revolver calls it quits, that sucks.

Skinny
03-22-2008, 09:44 AM
I'm suprised they lasted this long ...

aberdien
03-22-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm not too hurt about it. Slither was really their only good song, IMO.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Velvet Revolver sucked.

Davii
03-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Velvet Revolver sucked.

Don't make me come voice my opinion in your precious cRap threads.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Don't make me come voice my opinion in your precious cRap threads.

Do whatever you want, that doesn't take away from the fact that Velvet Revolver was a circle jerk excuse for a band.

Davii
03-22-2008, 05:30 PM
Do whatever you want, that doesn't take away from the fact that Velvet Revolver was a circle jerk excuse for a band.

As is cRap for anything related to music, or talent.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-22-2008, 05:31 PM
As is cRap for anything related to music, or talent.

If it doesn't take talent, I'll send you an MPC and let you have at it -- give you a few weeks and come up with some lyrics and beats.

frauschieze
03-22-2008, 05:45 PM
I always thought Scott's music was better when he was on the drugs. *shrugs* I love old school STP.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-22-2008, 05:47 PM
I always thought Scott's music was better when he was on the drugs. *shrugs* I love old school STP.

Yes, STP is awesome.

frauschieze
03-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Yes, STP is awesome.

Core and Purple were great albums. After that though, there was a huge drop off. "Lady Picture Show".....oh man, someone shoot me. That song was awful. I wasn't a fan of that album either.

Davii
03-22-2008, 05:53 PM
If it doesn't take talent, I'll send you an MPC and let you have at it -- give you a few weeks and come up with some lyrics and beats.

I've been making music since I was 14, I don't need a computer to do it for me. Thanks though!

Requiem / The Dagda
03-22-2008, 06:15 PM
I've been making music since I was 14, I don't need a computer to do it for me. Thanks though!

And we just adore the music you make!

aberdien
03-22-2008, 08:06 PM
They aren't the most original band ever.

MOtorboat
03-22-2008, 08:10 PM
So Velvet Revolver sucks. OK...I will reassess my musical tastes now. My bad.

aberdien
03-22-2008, 08:14 PM
I'm not saying it's a sin to listen to them or that they ARE terrible. I actually prefer them to alot of stuff, but just not something i'd listen to on a regular basis.

Escobar
03-22-2008, 08:31 PM
oh hes on drugs? dam i thought only rappers did that....those ignorant hoodlums ....dam....we are some hypocrits

:coffee:

MOtorboat
03-22-2008, 08:32 PM
oh hes on drugs? dam i thought only rappers did that....those ignorant hoodlums ....dam....we are some hypocrits

:coffee:

Who said that?

Simple Jaded
03-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Core and Purple were great albums. After that though, there was a huge drop off. "Lady Picture Show".....oh man, someone shoot me. That song was awful. I wasn't a fan of that album either.

I like Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart quite a bit, though, the rest of the CD was just so-so.

I thought No4 was pretty F'ing good......

Timmy!
04-16-2008, 07:44 PM
STP kicks ass. That is all.

MOtorboat
04-16-2008, 07:47 PM
STP kicks ass. That is all.

Yes they did.

I like Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart quite a bit, though, the rest of the CD was just so-so.

I thought No4 was pretty F'ing good......

Lady Picture Show is a damn good song. Trippin' on A Hole was good, as was Pop's Love Suicide and Big Bang Baby...Art School Girl I thought was kind of trippy, I thought, too...

I thought it was an excellent album.

Broncospsycho77
04-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Holy hell... I tried to get tickets to Rock on the Range (in Columbus)... can't find them anywhere. Supposedly, you could grab one on some knock-off sites... but I don't think it's working...

So many good bands at this festival... Disturbed, Killswitch Engage, Serj Tankian, Airbourne, Theory of a Dead man... and that's just the first day.

The second day isn't as solid, but with a couple of good ones like Five Finger Death Punch (a little too hard metal for me, but not bad overall) and Bobaflex.

Gotta find some tickets... this will never happen again in the Columbus area (outside of Ozfest).

MOtorboat
04-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Holy hell... I tried to get tickets to Rock on the Range (in Columbus)... can't find them anywhere. Supposedly, you could grab one on some knock-off sites... but I don't think it's working...

So many good bands at this festival... Disturbed, Killswitch Engage, Serj Tankian, Airbourne, Theory of a Dead man... and that's just the first day.

The second day isn't as solid, but with a couple of good ones like Five Finger Death Punch (a little too hard metal for me, but not bad overall) and Bobaflex.

Gotta find some tickets... this will never happen again in the Columbus area (outside of Ozfest).

Eh...:confused:

Broncospsycho77
04-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Eh...:confused:

I didn't even realize that VR would be there... they're not my favorite, but to see Slash (THE Slash) in person would be ridiculous, even though he's a bit fat now.

Eh, maybe I'll settle for Warped Tour in Cincy...

MOtorboat
04-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Tumble in the Rough was tight too.

MOtorboat
04-16-2008, 08:11 PM
I didn't even realize that VR would be there... they're not my favorite, but to see Slash (THE Slash) in person would be ridiculous, even though he's a bit fat now.

Eh, maybe I'll settle for Warped Tour in Cincy...

OK...you didn't say Velvet Revolver would be there...I assumed so...but...you know...

Velvet Revolver rocks.

Despite the drug problems, Weiland might be the best vocalist of his era...

Broncospsycho77
04-16-2008, 08:18 PM
OK...you didn't say Velvet Revolver would be there...I assumed so...but...you know...

Velvet Revolver rocks.

Despite the drug problems, Weiland might be the best vocalist of his era...

Oh shoot, my bad... Weiland will be with STP, not Velvet Revolver... damn.

Anyway, you're right... the vocals by Weiland will be missed... but the official website says that only Weiland will be going and the rest will remain as Velvet Revolver. So hopefully they won't hire some crapshoot wannabe and get a solid replacement.

http://www.velvetrevolver.com/

Timmy!
04-16-2008, 08:21 PM
I'll cut off my left pinky toe and eat it to get STP back together....

MOtorboat
04-16-2008, 08:22 PM

Looking to lose some weight?

Broncospsycho77
04-16-2008, 08:24 PM

They kind of are. Already had a "comeback tour preview" concert in LA, and already have a tour planned out...

Timmy!
04-16-2008, 08:26 PM
They kind of are. Already had a "comeback tour preview" concert in LA, and already have a tour planned out...

Looks like I get to test out my sword...:eek:

Broncospsycho77
04-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Looks like I get to test out my sword...:eek:

They'll be in Denver July 2nd at Red Rocks Ampitheater.

MOtorboat
04-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Listening to Tiny Songs from the Vatican...what I notice is STP's ability to step away from grunge and make a pop album. Weiland even shows some ability to sing swing with "And So I Know." Meanwhile, they merge that grunge sound with pop music, by incorporating power chords with melody, something not really seen during the grunge era. You also hear Robert Deleo bring back a few guitar solos into the bands music, which had been lacking in the first two albums. I think it was actually progressive in and of itself. It was released two years after Cobain's death, yet it sounds like it was five or six years later as grunge died off. Too bad other bands didn't have that foresight. I hear a lot of Foo Fighters in this album, actually...

Timmy!
04-16-2008, 08:56 PM

No fuggin way! :woot:

frauschieze
04-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Lady Picture Show is a damn good song. Trippin' on A Hole was good, as was Pop's Love Suicide and Big Bang Baby...Art School Girl I thought was kind of trippy, I thought, too...

I thought it was an excellent album.

:tsk:

To each, his own, I guess. I thought that was one of the worst songs they ever did. It didn't help that it was horribly overplayed as well.

MOtorboat
04-16-2008, 09:16 PM
:tsk:

To each, his own, I guess. I thought that was one of the worst songs they ever did. It didn't help that it was horribly overplayed as well.

The overplayed was the real problem. I think it was progressive in the fact that it played off of post-grunge pop before post-grunge pop ever happened...:D

Buff
04-17-2008, 03:29 PM
So hopefully they won't hire some crapshoot wannabe and get a solid replacement.

Yeah, Alice in Chains went that route and it just pisses me off to hear that joker sing Man in the Box...

GEM
04-17-2008, 03:48 PM

That's my birthday....I might have to see some reviews and if it looks good, I might have some birthday plans. :D