PDA

View Full Version : Jay throws to Earl Bennett on Pro Day

Hoshdude7
03-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Broncos' Cutler helps college teammate on pro day

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Jay Cutler found himself battling a case of nerves Friday, standing in front of representatives of every NFL team.

Not for himself, the starting quarterback of the Denver Broncos, but for his buddy and ex-college teammate, Earl Bennett.

Chris Graythen / Getty Images
Vanderbilt WR Earl Bennett had the benefit of catching passes from former teammate and current Broncos QB Jay Cutler during Vanderbilt's pro day Friday.
Cutler hadn't played with Bennett since Cutler's final season at Vanderbilt in 2005. But Cutler and Bennett share an agent in Bus Cook. So when the Southeastern Conference's all-time leading receiver decided to turn pro a year early, he called up Cutler for a little help prepping for the NFL Draft.

They put in nearly three weeks of training for Vanderbilt's Pro Day, and Cutler completed all 22 passes to Bennett to help wrap up the session including a nice shoestring catch by Bennett on a windy day.

"He was more relaxed than I was," Cutler said of Bennett after the workout. "I had a lot of responsibility on my shoulders to get some good balls to him. I threw a few bad ones. He made some catches for me, and it turned out really well I think."

It is very rare for a starting NFL quarterback to go back and help out an old college teammate. But Bennett was the best receiver Cutler ever had while at Vanderbilt, even though the quarterback was around only for Bennett's freshman season. Cutler is why Bennett caught 79 passes for 876 yards in 2005, a strong start to setting the SEC record with 236 receptions.

That is why Cutler was one of the first people Bennett called when he decided to turn pro.

"We talked about the situation me coming out. He said if I ever need him for anything, give him a call. I called him up and asked if he could throw to me at Pro Day," Bennett said.

Not just on Pro Day. Cutler and Bennett started getting back into rhythm in Atlanta for Friday's session, and Cutler has given Bennett and other Vanderbilt draft prospects tips on dealing with the NFL Combine, team interviews and visits.

Cutler said he was happy to help someone he sees as a great guy who had a great career at Vanderbilt.

"I'm excited for him," Cutler said.

On a breezy, warm day, the duo capped off a busy Pro Day that featured each NFL team.

Cutler threw 22 passes after the two cracked some jokes during their own warmup, and Bennett caught every one with three deep balls just to help show off Bennett's acceleration. The performance had to help dispel some myths about a receiver who had been tabbed as slow at the combine, where he ran 4.48 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

Bennett didn't run the 40 Friday. But he showed nice acceleration in chasing down slants and those long passes.

"They're used to each other and of course Earl played pretty good for Jay a few years back," Cook said. "I'm sure he helped Jay back in the day. But you don't find very often for a guy to come back and help out a teammate like Jay did. It was beneficial to Earl I'm sure."

The 6-foot, 204-pound receiver has a batch of visits lined up starting Monday with the hometown Tennessee Titans, who had scouts on hand Friday. Bennett said any chance to work with a pro like Cutler helps.

"I thought we did a pretty good job today, and I'm grateful he came out here," Bennett said.

Bennett wasn't the only prospect being studied Friday. Linebackers Jonathan Goff and Marcus Buggs showed off good hands, while defensive lineman Theo Horrocks and offensive tackle Brian Stamper were among 12 players working out for scouts.

But Vanderbilt's top draft prospect is left tackle Chris Williams, a 6-6, 320-pound lineman projected to go within the top 15 selections who possibly could top Cutler, who was the 11th pick overall in 2006 by Denver.

Williams is breaking up the wait until draft day by getting married on April 5.

"I would've had a month off until the draft. I've got the wedding in the middle, so it's helping a lot," Williams said.

JONtheBRONCO
03-21-2008, 06:47 PM
nice read

Scarface
03-21-2008, 07:30 PM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/J_Cutler_080321_IA.jpg

Astrass
03-21-2008, 07:49 PM
Nice chemistry.....Having a friend like Cutler on the team that drafts you would probably help him adjust to the NFL extremely quickly. I wouldn't mind seeing him as a bronco because of that.

Hobe
03-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Good man! Don't forget your buds!

lex
03-21-2008, 07:59 PM
I wonder how many incompletions Cutler had? I wonder if he would go before Ryan?

Seriously, it was good of Cutler to do this for an old teammate but there are other receivers Id rather have than Bennett...and there are also other Vandy players Id rather have.

Drill-N-Fill
03-21-2008, 08:27 PM
My understanding was that when Cutler was there he had no WR's and was one of the QB's that was sacked the most. All of a sudden you have a WR and OT going in the first 2 rounds. :confused:

broncosfanscott
03-21-2008, 08:33 PM
That was a nice read. I am glad to see he went back to help out an old teammate. This just shows you the kind of person Cutler is.

I would love to see some video of the sesson if there is any out there. With the chemistry the two of them have that would be cool to have him as a Bronco.

Watchthemiddle
03-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Good read.

I wonder if this is a way of "scouting" for us since we are cutting back on $$?

:laugh:

Drill-N-Fill
03-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Good read.

I wonder if this is a way of "scouting" for us since we are cutting back on $$?

:laugh:

Your probably joking. But scouts is someplace where we won't cut back on, especially when Pat says we will concentrate heavily on the draft.

Hoshdude7
03-21-2008, 09:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-2yd_EPqB8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDRIjZlJsAA

Scarface
03-21-2008, 10:08 PM
I wonder how many incompletions Cutler had? I wonder if he would go before Ryan?

I don't.

broncosfanscott
03-22-2008, 02:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-2yd_EPqB8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDRIjZlJsAA

The second pass in the first video is absolutly perfect. :D

threefolddead
03-22-2008, 09:49 AM
That was a nice read. I am glad to see he went back to help out an old teammate. This just shows you the kind of person Cutler is.

I would love to see some video of the sesson if there is any out there. With the chemistry the two of them have that would be cool to have him as a Bronco.

I'd much rather have chemistry over quality to an extent. The receivers who are drafted purely out of one being better than the other seem to take a while to pan out. To have a guy who could come in and know his quarterback already and have a good friend there for him, thats worth a lot in my eyes.

turftoad
03-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Bennet looks real good. Make all the catch's, even the ones he shouldn't. Tracks the ball in the air real good and not afraid to go over the middle. It might be a reach but if we want him we'll have to take him in the second. He won't be there in the 4th.

Williams in the first and bennet in the second.

I'd be fine with that (i bet Cutler would too) even if we don't get a DT till the 4th, maybe two.

TXBRONC
03-22-2008, 11:07 AM
I'd much rather have chemistry over quality to an extent. The receivers who are drafted purely out of one being better than the other seem to take a while to pan out. To have a guy who could come in and know his quarterback already and have a good friend there for him, thats worth a lot in my eyes.

I think you have to have a balance of the two. What good is chemistry if you don't have a quality receiver who can beat coverages?

While I agree with you that Earl already having a relationship Jay could be helpful in the long run this receiver still would have to learn the offense before he and Jay could redevelop their chemistry.

NameUsedBefore
03-22-2008, 11:57 AM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/J_Cutler_080321_IA.jpg

Catch it, friend-o.

TXBRONC
03-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Catch it, friend-o.

Did you see "No Country for Old Men"?

Hoshdude7
03-22-2008, 12:54 PM

I did.
I also had a dream where that bad dude took me to a bar and danced with me.:elefant:
No lie.

NameUsedBefore
03-22-2008, 01:13 PM

Yes. Loved it a ton. :cool:

TXBRONC
03-22-2008, 01:16 PM
I did.
I also had a dream where that bad dude took me to a bar and danced with me.:elefant:
No lie.

That's creepy.:eek: