PDA

View Full Version : elam a falcon

shank
03-21-2008, 04:16 PM
just got a text from cbs that jason has signed with the atlanta falcons...

UnderArmour
03-21-2008, 04:18 PM
shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit...

NightTrainLayne
03-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Glad it's over. He's not irreplaceable.

turftoad
03-21-2008, 04:19 PM
JASON ON THE ELAM
Posted by Mike Florio on March 21, 2008, 5:14 p.m.
Kicker Jason Elam has spent his entire NFL career with the Denver Broncos.

And he’s now heading home.

The guy who went to high school in Snellville, Georgia will play for the Atlanta Falcons, according to Adam Schefter of NFL Network.

And Elam will be well paid to do it. Per Schefter, it’s a four-year, $9 million contract, with $3.3 million in guaranteed money.

It’s unknown what if anything the Broncos offered to retain his services. Earlier this week, owner Pat Bowlen said that he was paying attention to the situation, and he presumably wanted to keep Elam around.

BroncoJoe
03-21-2008, 04:20 PM
I love Elam, but there is no way in hell he's worth that kind of money at 38.

Hey Jason - enjoy your payday, cause you ain't winning any games in the ATL.

underrated29
03-21-2008, 04:20 PM
ok mare or kerney, or drago (does he kick)

UnderArmour
03-21-2008, 04:21 PM
ok mare
Hell no.

Escobar
03-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Oh, but what about Cutler leading those game winning drives to set up the FG? Everyone seems to forget about him....

i think its more of that reciever in your sig.....but you can't say elam wasn't clutch.....he made it when he had too and he did. He had a nice run with the broncos

Escobar
03-21-2008, 04:23 PM
ok mare or kerney, or drago (does he kick)

lol........i think gramatica is in the market :lol: right med?

keithbishop
03-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Matching the offer wouldn't have been justifiable.

That being said, thank you for everything, Jason.

SR
03-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Good.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-21-2008, 04:32 PM
I am very disappointed in Jason. The Broncos took very good care of him moneywise. In fact, in an interview last year after the season ended, Jason stated he wanted to stay with the Broncos and he was sure a deal could be worked out. Guess that meant a deal could be worked out if the Broncos met his high price demand, and he would not give an inch.

BroncoJoe
03-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Yeah, kind of leaves a sour taste in my mouth toward him. Appreciate all his FG's while he was here, but guess he didn't appreciate us in return.

GEM
03-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks for everything Jason.....now here's the part that really pisses me off about it. We kept him the last couple years. Had to have 3 guys on the kicking squad at times and have missed some long yarders......just for the sake of keeping Jason. I'm happy he was just as loyal to us as we've been to him.

Thanks for the years of service Jason.....hope you enjoy living in murder capital usa vs denver. Great place to raise your kids.

Ok that was anger talking. Here's how I really feel. I'm sorry to see him go, had wished that he would have retired a bronco...wish he would have done this last year so maybe we would have taken a look at Crosby. This really leaves us in a friggen crunch. GRRR!

Lonestar
03-21-2008, 04:42 PM
I wonder what kind of stories he will tell about mikey now that he is gone..

Buff
03-21-2008, 04:44 PM
C'mon people, let's be realistic... You'd take almost $1 million more in guaranteed money in a heartbeat...

He didn't owe us anything, just as we didn't owe him anything. He's had a great career, I respect the hell out of him... And I respect his decision to milk every last dollar out of, what will probably end up being, his last contract in the NFL.

GEM
03-21-2008, 04:47 PM
C'mon people, let's be realistic... You'd take almost $1 million more in guaranteed money in a heartbeat...

He didn't owe us anything, just as we didn't owe him anything. He's had a great career, I respect the hell out of him... And I respect his decision to milk every last dollar out of, what will probably end up being, his last contract in the NFL.

I guess mine is anger towards both sides. I guess the Broncos should not have been so loyal for so long and anger that Jason wasn't as loyal as we were.

Shrugs.....not much ya can do about it now, but fear for our field goals next season and watch as we spend a draft pick on a kicker instead of a position of need.....which is now a REAL position of need. UGH.

G_Money
Morten Anderson is still coming back isn't he?

Elam could kick til he's 45+ if he really wants to.

The likelyhood of keeping a great kicker his whole career is slim. They're just too long.

Still, I'm with GEM - wish we'd addressed this last year with one of those picks we flushed because "we only had 3 spots on the active roster for draftees."

That sure looks stupid a year later.

~G

ikillz0mbies
Well its definitely sad to see him go. The Broncos have lost 2 great players in Al Wilson and now Jason Elam. But realistically, it had to happen. Broncos are pretty much moving on and looking to get younger. I think they should get a kicker by ways of draft. Although, I don't know what prospects are out there. Anyone mind filling me in?

GEM
03-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Morten Anderson is still coming back isn't he?

Elam could kick til he's 45+ if he really wants to.

The likelyhood of keeping a great kicker his whole career is slim. They're just too long.

Still, I'm with GEM - wish we'd addressed this last year with one of those picks we flushed because "we only had 3 spots on the active roster for draftees."

That sure looks stupid a year later.

~G

Isn't Anderson IN Atlanta?

G_Money
03-21-2008, 04:49 PM
He's ALWAYS in Atlanta. They actually signed Jason so they didn't have to bring Anderson back AGAIN as far as I know.

In 2034 73 year old Morten is gonna kick an extra point for the Falcons just because he can. They'll have to wheel him on and off the field, but he'll kick the damn thing.

~G

turftoad
03-21-2008, 04:54 PM
I wonder what kind of stories he will tell about mikey now that he is gone..

I think elam has enough class that he won't do that.

underrated29
03-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Well we better score a ton of freaking touchdowns now

SR
03-21-2008, 04:58 PM
I've got faith in Prater.

Davii
03-21-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm a little peeved with both sides. Elam for jumping ship, the Bronco's for A) not planning ahead B) not offering a little sweeter deal.

More peeved with Elam though. It's easy to say you would jump ship for more money, just ask John Lynch, or Cecil Sapp. Right?

Wait, they wouldn't agree....

SR
03-21-2008, 05:06 PM
Purple.

Astrass
03-21-2008, 05:22 PM
I'll miss Elam but not for that kind of money. I'm kind of glad he gets to wrap out his career in his home town (if thats what he ment to do). You gotta think tho...can he do what he did last year without the elevation help.

SR
03-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Elam can't kick a 55 yarder in less than ideal situations anymore, in Denver or otherwise. Makes no difference to me that he's gone. Yeah I'm grateful for what he did in Denver over all the years and all that shit, but he's not a Bronco anymore so "bye bye" Elam.

TXBRONC
03-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Come on people Jason didn't betray us. He got offered a sweet deal as UFA how is that betrayal?

MOtorboat
03-21-2008, 05:30 PM
I'm a little peeved with both sides. Elam for jumping ship, the Bronco's for A) not planning ahead B) not offering a little sweeter deal.

More peeved with Elam though. It's easy to say you would jump ship for more money, just ask John Lynch, or Cecil Sapp. Right?

:noidea:

I guess I missed the theory that keeping kickers into their 40s is "planning ahead."

Again, thank you Jason, you are a great Bronco, but its time for this organization to move on...

SR
03-21-2008, 05:38 PM
Come on people Jason didn't betray us. He got offered a sweet deal as UFA how is that betrayal?

It's not betrayal, but a little unclassy. He could've taken a bit of a hometown discount to stay with us. IMO, I'm kind of happy inside that he left.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-21-2008, 05:41 PM
*prays for Mehlhaff*

Oh baby, COME ON BABY I REMEMBER WHEN YOU BEAT ME IN HIGH SCHOOL FOOBALL, we want YOU T-HAFF.

Davii
03-21-2008, 05:43 PM
:noidea:

I guess I missed the theory that keeping kickers into their 40s is "planning ahead."

Again, thank you Jason, you are a great Bronco, but its time for this organization to move on...

No, thinking ahead would've been starting to look for another kicker, or signing him to a contract extension before the one he was on ended and let him become a free agent.

Jason has done one hell of a lot for the Bronco's and I will always be thankful for all the points he put up, but that doesn't change the fact that he jumped ship for what isn't truly a whole lot of money in the big scheme of things, again a bad point for both parties, not just Jason.

nevcraw
03-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Elam can't kick a 55 yarder in less than ideal situations anymore, in Denver or otherwise. Makes no difference to me that he's gone. Yeah I'm grateful for what he did in Denver over all the years and all that shit, but he's not a Bronco anymore so "bye bye" Elam.

Because that's the citeria these days?? Yup - get rid of the guy b/c he may not make a kick that the majority of the all of the kickers will probably miss as well.. Oh yeah..and he may only be called to do it once a season..

3 mil guarranteed to keep a clutch kicker. Should have matched the offer. All of you will say that when the new guy whiffs on a chip shot..

frauschieze
03-21-2008, 05:44 PM
At least he's not kicking for KC.

Retired_Member_001
03-21-2008, 05:45 PM
We lose a little bit of safety when it comes to clutch situations now because Elam is, in my opinion, the best clutch kicker in Football at the moment. The positives to this is that we can bring in a good young kicker and hopefully turn him into the next Elam.

Davii
03-21-2008, 05:45 PM
*prays for Mehlhaff*

Oh baby, COME ON BABY I REMEMBER WHEN YOU BEAT ME IN HIGH SCHOOL FOOBALL, we want YOU T-HAFF.

You played high school football? What were there, like 40 guys in your graduating class?

Sorry, had to ask. :laugh:

Hoshdude7
03-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Just a quick note: Jason Elam was born where I currently live.

topscribe
03-21-2008, 06:04 PM

What Bowlen said about FAs getting paid more than they're worth is an
understatement. When I read about what Elam is getting in Atlanta, that
statement raced back through my mind.

It's nuts . . . :shocked:

-----

pipes
03-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Well its definitely sad to see him go. The Broncos have lost 2 great players in Al Wilson and now Jason Elam. But realistically, it had to happen. Broncos are pretty much moving on and looking to get younger. I think they should get a kicker by ways of draft. Although, I don't know what prospects are out there. Anyone mind filling me in?

You're just scratching the surface by bringing up Wilson and Elam.....

How about Rod Smith and Matt Lepsis.

SR
03-21-2008, 06:08 PM
Because that's the citeria these days?? Yup - get rid of the guy b/c he may not make a kick that the majority of the all of the kickers will probably miss as well.. Oh yeah..and he may only be called to do it once a season..

3 mil guarranteed to keep a clutch kicker. Should have matched the offer. All of you will say that when the new guy whiffs on a chip shot..

How many times did we pooch kick or go for it on 4th when we were in Jason Elam range circa 2003?

Retired_Member_001
03-21-2008, 06:09 PM
You're just scratching the surface by bringing up Wilson and Elam.....

How about Rod Smith and Matt Lepsis.

That man in your sig is nearly as fat as Sam Adams.

nevcraw
03-21-2008, 06:17 PM
How many times did we pooch kick or go for it on 4th when we were in Jason Elam range circa 2003?

None.. How many time did we pooch kick it last year? Honestly? This is your rationale? Can you shit golden leg kickers like you do $400 rings? Let's hope so!!!
You will certainly hope for a pooch or to go for it while be break in the rook or even better let another re-tread Mare, etc. miss a gimme.

I'm all for hoping for a young stud rookie like Crosby last year but the odds are not with us. This is why most teams have new kickers every couple of year b/c The Elams are not easy to come by..

Tned
03-21-2008, 06:17 PM

I agree.

Does my memory serve me correctly that once upon a time we franchised him when we couldn't strike a deal? Everyone should remember that the NFL is a business, on both sides. There have been a 'few' occaissions of the Broncos carrying a player longer than they should out of 'apparent' loyalty, but by and large, they make decisions based on business, not loyalty. Why would we hold a player to a higher standard?

That out of the way, I hate to see him go. He will go down in history as one of the greatest kickers to play the game, and I would have loved to see him play his entire career as a Bronco.

Bronco9798
03-21-2008, 06:22 PM
I hate to see Elam go. When it was 4th and in FG range it seems I would always go ahead and think we got 3 and really never worry about it much. Could be a little different feeling now knowing the 3's might not be as automatic as they once were.

Watchthemiddle
03-21-2008, 06:23 PM
THere goes all of CUtlers comeback wins for the future.

A team that struggles to score inside the redzone just got worse.

:tsk:

Requiem / The Dagda
03-21-2008, 06:35 PM
You played high school football? What were there, like 40 guys in your graduating class?

For two years; and my graduating class was about 200. Probably half and half. Our football team sucked. That's why I quit. No need to play varsity for a team who hasn't won a game in 6-7 years.

topscribe
03-21-2008, 06:41 PM

I played high school football. Two years at Grover (Colo.) High School (now
Pawnee) and two years at Greeley (Colo.) High School (now Greeley
Central). My graduating class at Greeley Central counted 433.

Had I stayed my senior year at Grover, the graduating class there was 21,
the largest class in that school.

At Grover, we played 8-man on a dirt field. :nod:

-----

JONtheBRONCO
03-21-2008, 06:42 PM
I'm pretty sad to see him go. I can see it from both sides, so I'm not going to have any bad blood towards Jason. But, with that said, I still wish we could of worked something out. Even at 38, he kicked pretty well last season, winning us more games than we should have... take a look back at all the last second kicks, thats pressure, and a great kicker like Elam had the poise to win us those games...

Its frustrating to see people on this forum almost celebrate his departure. Money and age aside, the guy was a lifelong Bronco, and with him leaving for Atlanta, it opens up a gaping whole. No thanks on Matt Prater. Remember how bad our offense was inside the redzone... actually it seemed like every time we crossed the others teams 35, we couldn't score. If that happens again, I would like to have a reliable kicker... thats why it sucks to see Elam leave.

SR
03-21-2008, 06:47 PM
None.. How many time did we pooch kick it last year? Honestly? This is your rationale? Can you shit golden leg kickers like you do $400 rings? Let's hope so!!!
You will certainly hope for a pooch or to go for it while be break in the rook or even better let another re-tread Mare, etc. miss a gimme.

I'm all for hoping for a young stud rookie like Crosby last year but the odds are not with us. This is why most teams have new kickers every couple of year b/c The Elams are not easy to come by..

Seriously? You didn't see us pooch it or go for it on fourth while we were in FG range last year? I watched all the games from the friggin Middle East and saw shit you obviously didn't see.

HolyDiver
03-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Elam was drafted in the 3rd round.........Look for us to spend one of our 4th round picks on a kicker.

Lonestar
03-21-2008, 06:59 PM

Are you suggesting when John came to DEN it was for more money? Or when he just resigned was class?

aberdien
03-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Oh well, I would've taken the money.

Thanks Elam.

HolyDiver
03-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Let's be honest, I think most of us really like Elam as a FG kicker. But there is a difference kicking in Denver 8 out of 16 games, and kicking in Atlanta for ALL 16 games. He will still be accurate, but I doubt he makes many over 48 yards.

Coast Guard
03-21-2008, 07:06 PM
Personally, I hate to see him go. He's been a Bronco for 15 years. He's a class act and a clutch kicker. I realize that he has lost some of his distance, but I still hate to see him go. Did I mention he was a Bronco for 15 years?

As a Broncos fan...It sucks!

Scarface
03-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Sad to see a long time Bronco go. It was nice having an elite kicker for such a long time. I always felt confident with him kicking with the game on the line.

BTW, lol at those mad at him for taking the money.:laugh:

Hobe
03-21-2008, 07:11 PM

There are only been a few kickers that can hit a 55 yard field goal more then once in four tries in ideal conditions. The chances we will get a kicker that is as good as Elam was last year are not very good. We had better work on our red zone offense.

Scarface
03-21-2008, 07:12 PM
We had better work on our red zone offense.

We needed to do that with or without Elam.

Lonestar
03-21-2008, 07:17 PM
Let's be honest, I think most of us really like Elam as a FG kicker. But there is a difference kicking in Denver 8 out of 16 games, and kicking in Atlanta for ALL 16 games. He will still be accurate, but I doubt he makes many over 48 yards.

Actually only 8 of the 16 games are played in ATL.

Besides that team is gonna suck BIG TIME..

topscribe
03-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Sad to see a long time Bronco go. It was nice having an elite kicker for such a long time. I always felt confident with him kicking with the game on the line.

BTW, lol at those mad at him for taking the money.:laugh:

I don't believe many are angry with Elam, at least not in the long term. I think
it is just a knee-jerk reaction from the shock of losing him.

Actually, if there is anger, I think it comes all the way back to us, the fans.
Were we not so eager to shower the league with our own bucks so they
can entertain us, you wouldn't see all the mercenaries you see today under
the guise of free agency.

In fact, I could then probably afford to take my grandchildren to a game . . .

-----

DenverBronkHoes
03-21-2008, 07:20 PM
sorry frau.....

i dont know what to say... this is terrible news for me

DenverBronkHoes
03-21-2008, 07:21 PM
only thing i can think of that would sting worse would be "rod smith signs with the Raiders"

Hobe
03-21-2008, 07:21 PM
We needed to do that with or without Elam.

True, very true.:salute:

Davii
03-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Are you suggesting when John came to DEN it was for more money? Or when he just resigned was class?

That John's current contract was nothing but class and loyalty on his part.

If I remember correctly, which I probably don't, John was never even offered a contract by the Bucs after the neck injury, he was just straight up released.

sneakers
03-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Now we need a punter AND a kicker....

Davii
03-21-2008, 07:31 PM

Imagine the money and the roster spot we could save if we found both in ONE GUY!!!!!!!!

HolyDiver
03-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Actually only 8 of the 16 games are played in ATL.

Besides that team is gonna suck BIG TIME..

LOL !!!!!!!!!!! yeah, I messed that up bigtime. I just meant none, or, one at the most, will be played at such an altitude that he has any kind of advantage.

Broncoschic7
03-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Wow, I'm a little bummed about this deal. I was excited to think the young guys on the team now had a year down, we have a lot of great guys on the offense, and we "had" a automatic FG kicker, etc. and so forth. Just one less worry... Now Elam leaves the Broncos,,....just goes to show you how much of a "business" it actually is. I guess if we acquire a young guy he'll only be a year behind the other young ones. It was inevitable,,,just wish it would have been another year or two down the road.

broncosfanscott
03-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Well, this sucks. I know Elam is up there in age, yet it would have been nice if something could have been worked out. I mean when Elway was at the end of this career he took a paycut just to get other players here (Neil Smith from KC is one of them, I think). I know Elway was still trying to win a Super Bowl, however too bad nothing could have been done. I wish him all the best in Atlanta......except for when we play this year. It will be weird seeing him colors not orange and blue.

DenverBronkHoes
03-21-2008, 08:44 PM
i feel used and defeated

Den21vsBal19
03-21-2008, 09:02 PM
Real shame, pressure kickers are worth their weight in gold, and we've just lost one of the best in the business............

Hopefully, when the time comes, we can sign him to a one day deal, and he can retire in Orange & Blue, ala Steve Atwater

scott.475
03-21-2008, 09:11 PM
No player has ever scored more points for his team than Elam did for the Broncos...pretty awesome.

Anyway, he is a class guy, but I can't say I am hugely disappointed. This is clear evidence the Broncs are working hard to R-E-B-U-I-L-D with young talent that will last for a while. If I had to choose between a keeping Jason as well as a 3rd kicker, or letting him go to get a decent lineman and only carry two kickers...well, I would have done the same thing I guess.

I too hope he will retire a Bronco though.

Presuming Rod does not return, is Jason then the last member of our SB teams?

SmilinAssasSin27
03-21-2008, 09:15 PM
and Atwater played for the Jets. Thanx for the memories Elam...and screw you while you wear a different team's jersey. It's all good. I'll still be there for ya on induction day.

nevcraw
03-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Seriously? You didn't see us pooch it or go for it on fourth while we were in FG range last year? I watched all the games from the friggin Middle East and saw shit you obviously didn't see.

again, how many times? Facts not your opinion.. and no I cannot recall your honor any time last year where they pooched a kick in decent field goal range..

saving the 50+ yd. kick, what part of Elam's game was worth turning the field goal kicking over to a youngster or a kicker that no other team deemed worthy to keep on the roster vs. an automatic kicker in the redzone.

Den21vsBal19
03-21-2008, 09:21 PM
No player has ever scored more points for his team than Elam did for the Broncos...pretty awesome.

Anyway, he is a class guy, but I can't say I am hugely disappointed. This is clear evidence the Broncs are working hard to R-E-B-U-I-L-D with young talent that will last for a while. If I had to choose between a keeping Jason as well as a 3rd kicker, or letting him go to get a decent lineman and only carry two kickers...well, I would have done the same thing I guess.

Tom Nalen's last man standing

BANJOPICKER1
03-21-2008, 09:32 PM
My view on this is that Elam is 100% Bronco/history/team...He wants the payoff and I really respect that,he is not looking at anything else..He got what he wanted and the Broncos got what they wanted..We should always support Elam as a Bronco and move on..I will miss him,he wont miss us on pay day...Move on with saddness..:D

DenverBronkHoes
03-21-2008, 10:03 PM
and Atwater played for the Jets. Thanx for the memories Elam...and screw you while you wear a different team's jersey. It's all good. I'll still be there for ya on induction day.

i feeel that way in playful funny way..... screw him but i love him and wish him the best.... but screw him......

maybe he goes on to become a champion hand ball player after ATL

Lonestar
03-21-2008, 10:34 PM
That John's current contract was nothing but class and loyalty on his part.

If I remember correctly, which I probably don't, John was never even offered a contract by the Bucs after the neck injury, he was just straight up released.

Just wanted to clarify what you were saying I thought this was what you meant, but the first time I read it I caught it as John as being greedy with his First FA contract here..

Lonestar
03-21-2008, 10:35 PM

We need alot more than that.. with the rats deserting a sinking ship..

Requiem / The Dagda
03-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Sam Paulescu was a rookie last year from the Beavers; he can improve.

Lonestar
03-21-2008, 10:39 PM
Real shame, pressure kickers are worth their weight in gold, and we've just lost one of the best in the business............

Hopefully, when the time comes, we can sign him to a one day deal, and he can retire in Orange & Blue, ala Steve Atwater

Not unless he weighed 205 pounds.

Lonestar
03-21-2008, 10:40 PM

nalen

AlWilsonizKING
03-21-2008, 10:44 PM
Worst news I heard all night......:mad:

PEACE!!!

Az Snake
03-22-2008, 12:20 AM
Georgia boy has to go to college in Hawaii, hits the big time in Denver, got some Super Bowl rings and the prodigal son returns to Georgia.

"What a long strange trip it's been".

Best of luck Jason.

Thanks for the memories !!!

tubby
03-22-2008, 12:20 AM
That sucks. :tsk:

D1g1tal j1m
03-22-2008, 12:45 AM
Good luck to Elam. He is getting the best financial deal he can while he can still kick. He obviously didn't have the range that he had 5 years ago but he did make the clutch kicks when needed. That being said, it will finally be nice to have one kicker who can kickoff and kick FG's. Kickers are the most replaceable players in the NFL next to punters. Having a reliable one is great but I don't thing a kicker is ever worth over 2 million a year.

Thanks for the SB's and some great memories. Can't wait to see you in 4 years at your Ring of Fame induction.

D1g1tal j1m
03-22-2008, 12:49 AM
Kicker analysis (http://theredzonereport.com/2008/02/25/2008-nfl-draft-analysis-special-teams-these-guys-put-the-special-in-special-teams/)

1. Arthur Carmody, Louisville: Carmody had a very successful career at Louisville. He had a slight down year in 2007 but is still an accurate kicker who kicks off as well. He will be a 5th round pick.

2. Brandon Coutu, Georgia: Recently recovered from a hamstring injury but has a tremendous amount of power. He also handles kickoffs. Coutu will be drafted in the 5th or 6th round.

3. Alexis Serna, Oregon State: Consistent, but not as powerful as the previous two. He will be drafted in the 6th round.

4. Taylor Mehlhaff, Wisconsin: Very solid kicker who was 5 of 6 from beyond 40 yards this year. Very powerful kicker. He will be a 6th rounder as well.

5. Jeremy Ito, Rutgers: A very successful kicker at Rutgers and is the all time leader in field goals made. He made several big kicks on the big stage as well. He will be a 6th or 7th rounder.

OB
03-22-2008, 12:51 AM
Matching the offer wouldn't have been justifiable.

That being said, thank you for everything, Jason.

Hi KB :wave:

what did I tell u about talking sense - its all about the heart baby -

Bye Jason :pout:

D1g1tal j1m
03-22-2008, 12:54 AM
Another draft analysis breakdown (http://walterfootball.com/draft2008K.php)

#1 Taylor Mehlhaff, Wisconsin
Height: 5-10. Weight: 185.
Projected Round: 5-6.
Taylor Mehlhaff nailed 14-of-15 attempts from between 35 and 50 yards at the combine.

#2 Art Carmody, Louisville
Height: 5-9. Weight: 165.
Notched 21-of-25 field goals in 2006. Hadn't missed a kick from inside 40 yards his entire career until this season. He's 10-of-14, but only 2-of-5 from beyond 40.

#3 Alexis Serna, Oregon State
Height: 5-8. Weight: 170.
Nailed 22-of-29 field goals in 2006, making 4-of-6 from beyond 50 yards with a long of 58.

#4 Brandon Coutu, Georgia
Height: 6-0. Weight: 200.
Projected Round: 6.
Through the middle of November, Brandon Coutu is just 4-of-9 from beyond 40 yards.

Missed seven games in 2006 because of a hamstring injury. Was 10-of-11 overall, and 2-of-3 from beyond 50 yards. In 2005, Coutu hit 23-of-29, nailing 3-of-5 from 50-plus.

#5 Jeremy Ito, Rutgers
Height: 5-11. Weight: 190.
Projected Round: 6-7.
Rutgers' all-time leader in field goals made. Was 22-of-29 with 2-of-3 coming from beyond 50 in 2006.

#6 Jason Reda, Illinois
Height: 6-0. Weight: 200.
Only missed one kick in 2007; hit 3-of-3 from 50-plus and 8-of-9 from beyond 40.

#7 Garrett Hartley, Oklahoma
Height: 5-9. Weight: 198.
Really improved in 2006; was 19-of-20 after going just 14-of-22 the previous campaign.

#8 Connor Barth, North Carolina
Height: 6-0. Weight: 195.
Projected Round: 7-FA.
Connor Barth nailed 19-of-22 attempts in 2007. He didn't miss any kicks inside 48 yards.

#9 Jared McLaughlin, BYU
Height: 6-4. Weight: 198.
Projected Round: FA.
Hit 14-of-18 each of his first two seasons. Was 2-of-4 from beyond 50 in 2006.

#10 John Sullivan, New Mexico
Height: 5-9. Weight: 158.
Was perfect between 40-49 yards in 2007, nailing all nine attempts. Didn't try one from 50-plus.

#11 Tom Schneider, California
Height: 6-1. Weight: 191.
After two mediocre seasons, hit on 15-of-20 with a long of 55.

#12 Sergio Aguayo, UNLV
Height: 6-1. Weight: 200.
Was 12-of-16 and 2-of-3 from beyond 50 in 2005, but had a disappointing 2006 campaign, nailing just 8-of-16.

shank
03-22-2008, 01:03 AM
coutu or mehlhaff please

UnderArmour
03-22-2008, 01:03 AM
#5 Jeremy Ito, Rutgers
Height: 5-11. Weight: 190.
Rutgers' all-time leader in field goals made. Was 22-of-29 with 2-of-3 coming from beyond 50 in 2006.

I've seen this guy in big game situations and he really does a great job in the clutch. I hope he is the kicker we choose to succeed Elam.

broncosfanscott
03-22-2008, 02:15 AM
nalen

last man standing.

Hobe
03-22-2008, 02:48 AM
Had a nightmare! It’s week ten. We are 6 and 3. All three of the loses have been by less then a touchdown. The new young leg (who great in preseason) is 7 for 13 with his longest at 41 yards. Desperately, we look for a kicker with a track record to bring in and the only one available is…

…Morten Anderson.

atwater27
03-22-2008, 03:38 AM
WHat the hell is wrong with me. This news made me truly sad.
Maybe because Elam, clutch kicker, icon of the Broncos, is gone.
Or maybe because an entire career of a kicker happened in my adult lifetime and I feel old, therefore depressed. Kind of the same feeling I got when E.T. came out with the 20th anniversary of it's theatrical release.

Den21vsBal19
03-22-2008, 04:30 AM
Not unless he weighed 205 pounds.
I think Buffalo fans would have traded Norwood's weight in gold if he'd slotted that 47 yarder against the Giants ;)

TimBuff10
03-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Elam's gone... Unless we somehow get a fresh new superstar kicker then we start going for it a little more when drives start to fizzile out between the 30 and 45 yard lines.

I just hope we don't have to go for it when we are inside the 30 to often.

Either way, it seems we dropped the ball when they didn't draft Mason Crosby last year. Dumb move if they weren't sure about being able to lock up Elam.

Day1BroncoFan
03-22-2008, 11:14 AM
I wish Elam all the best unless he's playing against Denver.

NameUsedBefore
03-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Damn... this blows. I think a lot of people have undervalued Elam way too much lately by putting too much value on 50+ yard field goals. I think we lost a dependable and clutch player, but at the same time I don't see how Denver could have paid that much for a kicker... Elam did earn that money though, no doubt about it, and that's why somebody ponied up the dough.

nevcraw
03-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Damn... this blows. I think a lot of people have undervalued Elam way too much lately by putting too much value on 50+ yard field goals. I think we lost a dependable and clutch player, but at the same time I don't see how Denver could have paid that much for a kicker... Elam did earn that money though, no doubt about it, and that's why somebody ponied up the dough.

On the money! Well said!!

BroncoWave
03-22-2008, 08:39 PM

How the hell did Atlanta get 16 home games and where can we sign up for that? :D

broncosfanscott
03-22-2008, 08:43 PM
How the hell did Atlanta get 16 home games and where can we sign up for that? :D

Yeah, me too. I am all over that one. :D

Reidman
03-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Now who's going to win half of our games for us....???

I'm still a little bummed to see one of the last superbowl era members go but I agree he's not getting any younger and his clutch days are numbered. I hope he finishes his career on a good note.

Lonestar
03-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Now who's going to win half of our games for us....???

I'm still a little bummed to see one of the last superbowl era members go but I agree he's not getting any younger and his clutch days are numbered. I hope he finishes his career on a good note.

actually more than half 4 of 7..

Npba900
03-25-2008, 03:42 AM
I hate to see Elam go as well. Last season, Elam gave us hope! especially with his clutch kicks which gave us 4 wins. Each time he made those game winning kicks, I felt the Broncos were about to go on roll and string together enough wins to turn the season around and contend for the AFC div. title.

With the way the season went last season, Denver could have gone 3-13, had it not been for "Clutch Elam". Boy, imagine all the suicide watches faithful Denver fans would have par-taken in.

Then again at 3-13, Denver would be in a nice position to draft one of top players in the draft. How many fans would have liked to have be picking in the top 5 right now?

Oh well, thanks for all the memories Elam. I wish you and Denver could have worked things out. But hey, this is the NFL which stands for "Not For Long"! Good luck in Atlanta, and please make sure you miss the game winning FG or extra point win should Denver play the Falcon's this season.

nevcraw
04-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Noticed something watching highlights of the Minn. game. Elam finished 07 w/ 15 straight FG's..
Hope the newbie can hit 2 in a row..

AlWilsonizKING
04-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but are there plans to change the header pic? Seeing as Elam is a Falcon now and all......

:confused:

PEACE!!!