PDA

View Full Version : Would Clady start over Harris?

WARHORSE
03-21-2008, 02:50 PM
This was brought up by an ESPN analyst that Ive never seen. He predicted that the Broncos would throw a wrench in the draft and select Rashard Mendenhall, simply because he said from what hes gathered, the Broncos think Harris would start next year over a drafted Clady. Clady still needs to get stronger.

We know this for a fact, whoever gets drafted at 12 by Denver if we must pick there, they will be a player that the Broncos are expecting to take a starting position.

Can you say that theres a player who will come in and start day one at WR?
OT?
S/F S?
LB?
RB?
OG?
DT?
DE?
CB?
OG?

Fullback dont count.

If we do take an OT, Denver will have to be convinced that he will be able to start now...........

Is the trade up to get Ellis or Dorsey worth it?

Who will start, day one at this spot?

BOSSHOGG30
03-21-2008, 02:56 PM
No.... If we draft a LT in the first round, with that high of a pick, you would have to imagine that he is being drafted with one thing in mind... LT. We have needs at other positions as well and pretty much any of those positions a guy as high as a 12th overall pick would more likely be able to start right away. Whoever that person is will get some serious playing time.

BOSSHOGG30
03-21-2008, 03:05 PM

S/F S? Reggie Smith, Kenny Philips, DeJaun Morgan
LB? Dan Connor, Keith Rivers, Gholston
RB? Mendenhall, Stewart, McFadden
DT? List would be too long

mclark
03-21-2008, 03:07 PM
None would.

OT? The Bronco staff knows more about Harris than I do. I'm judging from his lack of playing time last year that he was either hurt or they didn't think he was ready. If the Broncos staff really loves Harris, then we won't take a LT in the first round. If they are blowing smoke, then I'd expect Clady or Williams to come in and start.

S/F S? No. Phillips would be starting by the end of the year.
LB? No. Connor might be starting by end of year. Rivers would start immediately if we decided to keep DJ in the middle (not something I'm for really).
RB? With injuries, Mendenhall would be starting by mid-year.
OG? No.
DT? Dorsey, Ellis, Balmer, Laws, etc would be starting by mid-season or end of year.
DE? Ghoulston would be playing on passing downs with Dumervil almost immediately.
CB? No, not without injuries.

Fullback dont count.

BOSSHOGG30
03-21-2008, 03:09 PM
WR= Malcom Kelly, Devin Thomas, and Limas Sweed could probably start as #2 and would push Stokely back to the slot were he is a stud.

lex
03-21-2008, 03:36 PM
We have three viable receiving threats now already and considering a RB will get the ball 20 times a game vs a WR who gets it 3-6 times a game, RB makes more sense. With Marshall already in the fold we need a WR who is a willing blocker and will improve and work on improving.

dogfish
03-21-2008, 03:40 PM
i'm more concerned with getting a guy who will start-- and dominate!-- for the next ten years, than i am with getting a guy who can start immediately. . . it's a long term investment, they need to make it with that kind of mindset IMO. . .

that said, i'll be thrilled with clady, williams, mendenhall or stewart. . . . and barring ellis or dorsey falling, at least a little disappointed with anyone else. . .

i still have a feeling we'll be looking at receivers. . . . :frusty:

TXBRONC
03-21-2008, 03:50 PM
This was brought up by an ESPN analyst that Ive never seen. He predicted that the Broncos would throw a wrench in the draft and select Rashard Mendenhall, simply because he said from what hes gathered, the Broncos think Harris would start next year over a drafted Clady. Clady still needs to get stronger.

We know this for a fact, whoever gets drafted at 12 by Denver if we must pick there, they will be a player that the Broncos are expecting to take a starting position.

OT?
S/F S?
LB?
RB?
OG?
DT?
DE?
CB?
OG?

Fullback dont count.

If we do take an OT, Denver will have to be convinced that he will be able to start now...........

If Denver takes an offensive tackle now I don't they have to be convinced he could start right away They would just have to be convinced that he would be ready to start the following year. I think the likelihood a rookie offensive tackle starting now on Denver's offensive line is slim. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but I just doubt it will.

As I have stated in other threads the only position on Denver's offense where a player can make an immediate impact is at running back.

That being said I would still take an offensive tackle first and my preference is for Jeff Otah.

broncohead
03-21-2008, 04:20 PM
I think that the value at RB is greater than OT in the first rd. but I also think that Stewart will fall to the end of rd. 1 because of his surgery. I would rather grab Clady, Williams, or Otah at #12 and trade up from the 2nd rd to grab Stewart. We have a lot of ammo to do this. Our 2nd rd. 4th rd. and Foxworth may be able to get us into the end of the 1st. Just a thought.

Fan in Exile
03-21-2008, 04:40 PM
I think if we get Cherilius, Nicks, or Otah they start right away on the right side.

Retired_Member_001
03-21-2008, 05:05 PM
i'm more concerned with getting a guy who will start-- and dominate!-- for the next ten years, than i am with getting a guy who can start immediately. . . it's a long term investment, they need to make it with that kind of mindset IMO. . .

that said, i'll be thrilled with clady, williams, mendenhall or stewart. . . . and barring ellis or dorsey falling, at least a little disappointed with anyone else. . .

i still have a feeling we'll be looking at receivers. . . . :frusty:

I get that same excruciating feeling.

TXBRONC
03-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Where does this feeling that we're going to draft a wide receiver come from? I haven't read anything that has even eluded to it at this point.

Scarface
03-21-2008, 07:03 PM

OT?
S/F S?
LB?
RB?
OG?
DT?
DE?
CB?
OG?

Fullback dont count.

If Harris beats out Clady for LT, Clady will probably play RT for a year. It's a win-win situation. The Ravens had Ogden play guard his rookie year so if Clady or Williams don't start LT year one I'm not that concerned.

dogfish
03-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Where does this feeling that we're going to draft a wide receiver come from? I haven't read anything that has even eluded to it at this point.

we only have one good starting receiver on the team-- in fact, we only have one starting receiver on the team, period-- and the only other wideout we have who is worth anything is getting old and has a long history of injuries. . . if marshall goes down, our receiving corps is instantly one of the worst in the league. . . and which positions has shenanigans spent more 1st day picks on than any others? wide receiver, linebacker and cornerback-- over the years he's been far more likely to spend his high picks on those skill positions than on the lines. . .

understand, i'm not advocating for a 1st day receiver-- i just think there's a good chance we'll take one. . . taking a DT high makes an awful lot of sense, IF the value is right (or an OT, because the value will be there at either 12 or 42)-- but there certainly isn't a great precedent for it. . . doesn't mean that it can't happen, but i tend to take a fairly cynical view of our drafting-- it's easier to not be disappointed when things don't go the way i'd hoped on draft day. . . .

WARHORSE
03-21-2008, 08:37 PM
I dont see Clady starting at RT simply for the fact that hes not strong enough. He would start at LT before he would RT. He never did rep the 225 lbs, and theres a reason for it. Even in college he couldnt keep bull rushers out of his chest. He is without a doubt the best OT athlete in the class, but Id have to say if we were going to pick a guy looking to start now, it would be Cutlers prior teamate Williams.

That being said, a good Olineman can be had deep into this draft, and some think this is the deepest OT class theyve seen in 15 years.

If we were to take a WR, it would not be at 12. We would all be squeezing our butt cheeks together until week one if that happened, praying we didnt waste a pick on a WR. Im thinking Ellis and Dorsey would be targeted if we dont add a DT in the offseason, and frankly, if we dont get one of them, its going to be later than 12 we chase one.

Denver is looking to move down, or up. Up to get a DT, or down for everything else if they have their way.

WARHORSE
03-21-2008, 08:38 PM
we only have one good starting receiver on the team-- in fact, we only have one starting receiver on the team, period-- and the only other wideout we have who is worth anything is getting old and has a long history of injuries. . . if marshall goes down, our receiving corps is instantly one of the worst in the league. . . and which positions has shenanigans spent more 1st day picks on than any others? wide receiver, linebacker and cornerback-- over the years he's been far more likely to spend his high picks on those skill positions than on the lines. . .

understand, i'm not advocating for a 1st day receiver-- i just think there's a good chance we'll take one. . . taking a DT high makes an awful lot of sense, IF the value is right (or an OT, because the value will be there at either 12 or 42)-- but there certainly isn't a great precedent for it. . . doesn't mean that it can't happen, but i tend to take a fairly cynical view of our drafting-- it's easier to not be disappointed when things don't go the way i'd hoped on draft day. . . .

Uh........HULLOH??

Keary Colbert???

We're set!:coffee:

TXBRONC
03-21-2008, 09:10 PM
we only have one good starting receiver on the team-- in fact, we only have one starting receiver on the team, period-- and the only other wide out we have who is worth anything is getting old and has a long history of injuries. . . if marshall goes down, our receiving corps is instantly one of the worst in the league. . . and which positions has shenanigans spent more 1st day picks on than any others? wide receiver, linebacker and corner-back-- over the years he's been far more likely to spend his high picks on those skill positions than on the lines. . .

I know you have been crystal clear about your preferences which I both respect and agree with, but honestly I don't get the sense that Shanahan will draft a wide receiver that high. If I have understood you and others who keep up with the rating of pro prospects there is one who really warrants that being taken with the 12th overall pick.

That being said, and looking at the lack of production the offense has had I could see Denver taking a offensive tackle or running back with our first selection.

TXBRONC
03-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Uh........HULLOH??

Keary Colbert???

We're set!:coffee:

I don't know War. I like Colbert but statistically speaking he hasn't done much since his rookie season. I hope that the change of scenery and new offense help him to turn his career around but I don't think its a given that he will come in and be solid number two receiver.

dogfish
03-21-2008, 09:35 PM
If we were to take a WR, it would not be at 12. We would all be squeezing our butt cheeks together until week one if that happened, praying we didnt waste a pick on a WR.

no question about the second comment, but that certainly doesn't mean that shanahan won't do it. . .

If I have understood you and others who keep up with the rating of pro prospects there is one who really warrants that being taken with the 12th overall pick.

it's debatable-- and in any case, pre-draft rankings are arbitrary, at best-- but i pretty much agree with that. . . however, as i just said, i'm not sure that means shenanigans won't do it-- he's shown some pretty long arms in the past. . .

if you guys can't tell, what i'm getting at is that you're making logical arguments. . . to predict the behavior of a guy whose actions i've often considered to be illogical. . . we can all talk about what's best for the team, makes the most sense etc etc, but when our number comes up you never really know what the hell shenanigans might do. . . in other words. . . somebody hold me, i'm scared!! :lol: :laugh:

That being said, and looking at the lack of production the offense has had I could see Denver taking a offensive tackle or running back with our first selection.

i'm keeping my fingers crossed, although it makes it a bit hard to type. . . .

SmilinAssasSin27
03-21-2008, 09:48 PM
No.... If we draft a LT in the first round, with that high of a pick, you would have to imagine that he is being drafted with one thing in mind... LT. We have needs at other positions as well and pretty much any of those positions a guy as high as a 12th overall pick would more likely be able to start right away. Whoever that person is will get some serious playing time.

I kinda disagree. Otah can be a LT in the long run, but for now he is a perfect RT. He may be perfect RT for a decade and I'd be happier than horse shit if he is for us, but I believe Shanny is giving Harris every opportunity to start at LT in 2008.

TXBRONC
03-21-2008, 09:49 PM
no question about the second comment, but that certainly doesn't mean that shanahan won't do it. . .

it's debatable-- and in any case, pre-draft rankings are arbitrary, at best-- but i pretty much agree with that. . . however, as i just said, i'm not sure that means shenanigans won't do it-- he's shown some pretty long arms in the past. . .

if you guys can't tell, what i'm getting at is that you're making logical arguments. . . to predict the behavior of a guy whose actions i've often considered to be illogical. . . we can all talk about what's best for the team, makes the most sense etc etc, but when our number comes up you never really know what the hell shenanigans might do. . . in other words. . . somebody hold me, i'm scared!! :lol: :laugh:

i'm keeping my fingers crossed, although it makes it a bit hard to type. . . .

No doubt, it would easier to predict the winning numbers for the Texas Lottery than it is to predict what Shanahan will do.

Now as far as holding you well um there isn't much I can do to help you my man. :laugh:

WARHORSE
03-22-2008, 02:28 PM
I don't know War. I like Colbert but statistically speaking he hasn't done much since his rookie season. I hope that the change of scenery and new offense help him to turn his career around but I don't think its a given that he will come in and be solid number two receiver.

I was absolutely SURE, that everyone knew I was bein sarcastic........

guess its just you n JR.........;)

mclark
03-22-2008, 04:06 PM
WR= Malcom Kelly, Devin Thomas, and Limas Sweed could probably start as #2 and would push Stokely back to the slot were he is a stud.

There are wide receivers who could start for us. I just can't imagine us taking a wide receiver at #12.

Lonestar
03-23-2008, 07:16 PM
There are wide receivers who could start for us. I just can't imagine us taking a wide receiver at #12.

Not unless mikey has a brain fart his luck.skill whatever you wish to call it sucks on picking WR's he is like 1-14 or so.. Let hope he is not stupid enough to wast a #1 on a player that most likely would not start for us in 2008

Bronco9798
03-23-2008, 07:24 PM

There's no way we go WR at 12. It just ain't happening. You never know what Shanny will do, but I can almost guarantee he won't go WR at #12.

TXBRONC
03-23-2008, 10:30 PM
I was absolutely SURE, that everyone knew I was bein sarcastic........

guess its just you n JR.........;)

I'm sorry that it went right by me.

Simple Jaded
03-23-2008, 10:41 PM
I dont see Clady starting at RT simply for the fact that hes not strong enough. He would start at LT before he would RT. He never did rep the 225 lbs, and theres a reason for it. Even in college he couldnt keep bull rushers out of his chest. He is without a doubt the best OT athlete in the class, but Id have to say if we were going to pick a guy looking to start now, it would be Cutlers prior teamate Williams.

That being said, a good Olineman can be had deep into this draft, and some think this is the deepest OT class theyve seen in 15 years.

If we were to take a WR, it would not be at 12. We would all be squeezing our butt cheeks together until week one if that happened, praying we didnt waste a pick on a WR. Im thinking Ellis and Dorsey would be targeted if we dont add a DT in the offseason, and frankly, if we dont get one of them, its going to be later than 12 we chase one.

Denver is looking to move down, or up. Up to get a DT, or down for everything else if they have their way.

Not to kick the Broncos in the teeth again, but they don't seem to care about strength in offensive lineman.

You make perfect sense, WarHorse, the Broncos do not......

WARHORSE
03-24-2008, 12:21 AM
I'm sorry that it went right by me.

NP...........lol........

BOSSHOGG30
03-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Will Clady still be a 1st rounder?

dogfish
03-24-2008, 02:32 PM

absolutely! does anyone besides fans even pay any attention to the wondershmuck?

BOSSHOGG30
03-24-2008, 02:40 PM
absolutely! does anyone besides fans even pay any attention to the wondershmuck?

I don't think we are just talking wonderlic here....

Clady struggled versus the better teams of the WAC. Many teams are looking pasted Clady, (gave up 7.5 sacks) and moving on to Chris Williams who not only dominated in the SEC, only gave up 1 sack and Jeff Otah, only gave up only 2 sacks. Clady didn't only score bad in the wonderlic, but really bad. 13 is horrible, especially for a kid who went to Bosie St. Boise State has been called the Harvard of Idaho. Clady also has questions about his strength at the next level. With so many offensive lineman not only putting up nice wonderlic scores, but also playing against better competition as well as putting up nice combine numbers one would have to wonder just how far Clady will drop.

underrated29
03-24-2008, 02:46 PM

Answer: Who cares!

As long as shanny thinks that harris is better, (if that is actually true), then who cares. We wont be taking him then, we will probably wait and take a RT to compete with pears.

The way i see it, going off of that statement is Harris is LT, kupes to back him up at LT in a pinch. Pears is RT with new draft guy to compete with him as pears wasnt quite ideal. The other guy is backup, and harris is too in an even further emergency.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-24-2008, 02:49 PM
I don't think we are just talking wonderlic here....

Clady struggled versus the better teams of the WAC. Many teams are looking pasted Clady, (gave up 7.5 sacks) and moving on to Chris Williams who not only dominated in the SEC, only gave up 1 sack and Jeff Otah, only gave up only 2 sacks. Clady didn't only score bad in the wonderlic, but really bad. 13 is horrible, especially for a kid who went to Bosie St. Boise State has been called the Harvard of Idaho. Clady also has questions about his strength at the next level. With so many offensive lineman not only putting up nice wonderlic scores, but also playing against better competition as well as putting up nice combine numbers one would have to wonder just how far Clady will drop.

How do you know many teams are looking past Clady? Do you have access to all their war rooms or what?

dogfish
03-24-2008, 02:50 PM
How do you know many teams are looking past Clady? Do you have access to all their war rooms or what?

no, boss just doesn't like clady. . . . :laugh:

BOSSHOGG30
03-24-2008, 02:52 PM

My bad dream, I forgot that I had to explain myself in great detail so that guys like you can follow along better.

I should of stated that it is rumored from numerous sources that teams like guys like Chris Williams and Jeff Otah more than Ryan Clady. Therefor if this infomation is true, then there are many teams that hold more value in a guy like Chris Williams or Jeff Otah.

BOSSHOGG30
03-24-2008, 03:05 PM
no, boss just doesn't like clady. . . . :laugh:

You got that right....

I keep hearing all this man love for Clady, but i think he's the 4th best tackle in the draft. He had an 84% blocking grade while playing in the WAC. Chris Williams had 85% blocking grade playing in the SEC, and Sam Baker had an 86% blocking grade playing in the PAC-10.
The knock on Sam Baker is his arm length, but Clady's arm length is identical to Baker's. Clady is big, but not terribly strong, especially in his lower body. He only squats 475. I have a couple high school kids who squat more and our school isn't known for having a lot of talent or winning teams. He has a max bench mark of 355 which is not even good for a tackle, while Baker benched 485 and squatted 600. Chris williams even did 425 on the bench and 500 on the squat, he also has questions about his strength. Baker has shown that he'll play with injuries, and was slated as one of the top 2 tackles prior to the season. Baker and Williams are both quicker and less susceptible to double moves. Baker and Williams are both guys who are suited for the Broncos scheme. Which gets me back to my original question, what's all the fuss about Clady? Really?

Clady is an all HYPE player.