PDA

View Full Version : MCD Talks to College Prospects

Spiritguy
03-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Indianapolis _ Just had some coffee talk with Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and his trusted assistant Mark Thewes.

It was nice. We talked.

“”The big thing for me here is the interviews at night,” McDaniels said. Each team is allotted 60 interviews with college prospects, 15 minutes in length. Some teams only use half that amount. The Broncos use all 60, generally 20 a night.

That comes out to 5 hours each night of interviews. Make no mistake, there are plenty of late-night dinners during the NFL scouting combine.

found here (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/02/28/mcdaniels-meets-the-college-kids/)

(interesting thing to me is that they used all 60 interviews. Looks like they are doing their homework.)

underrated29
03-01-2010, 02:39 PM
nice.

We have talked with mantario hardesty and another one of the big backs. Forgot who....MUG reported it.

I like that they are using all the time. This should be a good draft!

Carl
03-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Is there anyway to find out who were interviewing? Or is that all part of the secrecy?

underrated29
03-01-2010, 04:06 PM
I dont know.

but Dywer is the other back we had a little sit down with.

Ziggy
03-01-2010, 04:15 PM
It would be fun to find out the list of names that they did sit down with. Last year, Denver didn't draft a single player that they hadn't met with at some time before the draft.

underrated29
03-01-2010, 04:50 PM
It would be fun to find out the list of names that they did sit down with. Last year, Denver didn't draft a single player that they hadn't met with at some time before the draft.

from what i have heard its been..

Jacoby ford
montario hardesty
dywer

I think there has been another couple reported, but I can not remember.

CoachChaz
03-01-2010, 04:52 PM
We have a young RB and Ford will never be more than a KR/PR

SOCALORADO.
03-01-2010, 05:07 PM

Well, Hardesty would be $$money$$ in the 3rd or 4th round to have 2 reliable RBs.

Lonestar
03-01-2010, 05:32 PM
I suspect that they are indeed doing their homework on the combine folks.
After all they got raked over the coals on this forum about only having 100 players on their board. :D.

If they did interview everyone they drafted, then they felt good about the guys they talked to then having a lesser number on the board is ok.

Josh was very logical last year when he stated, they would NOT take someone that they did feel could play their scheme just to cut them.

Which frankly in the past I'm not so sure it did not happen that way.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

GEM
03-01-2010, 06:07 PM

If we draft a RB anywhere before the 5th round I will pull my effing hair out. Too many needs to be drafting another RB earlier than that.

Nomad
03-01-2010, 06:17 PM
If we draft a RB anywhere before the 5th round I will pull my effing hair out. Too many needs to be drafting another RB earlier than that.

McDaniels heard you and will draft CJ Spiller with #11!!:D and wants pics to see a hairless GEM!:lol:

tsiguy96
03-01-2010, 07:57 PM
After all they got raked over the coals on this forum about only having 100 players on their board. :D.

If they did interview everyone they drafted, then they felt good about the guys they talked to then having a lesser number on the board is ok.

Josh was very logical last year when he stated, they would NOT take someone that they did feel could play their scheme just to cut them.

i think i posted it here (or maybe BM) but every team has similar size boards. the patriots board is about 75 players, the ravens a bit more tahn 100. mcdaniels just said it in public and the whiners had another reason to cry.

its not wrong for a coach to find a specific group of guys that fit the systems the team plays then go after those guys in the draft.

nevcraw
03-01-2010, 09:23 PM
i think i posted it here (or maybe BM) but every team has similar size boards. the patriots board is about 75 players, the ravens a bit more tahn 100. mcdaniels just said it in public and the whiners had another reason to cry.
its not wrong for a coach to find a specific group of guys that fit the systems the team plays then go after those guys in the draft.

In all fairness the the whiners and coal rakers -- McD wouldn't have taken any flack if it weren't for the multiple head scratchers on daft day.. His draft picks and reaches clearly showed unpreparedness.. and no, it's not an excuse he had less than time then some..

silkamilkamonico
03-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Looking back on the comments he's made about how the draft went down last year, I wonder which players McDaniel's feels he made a mistake drafting?

tsiguy96
03-01-2010, 09:39 PM
In all fairness the the whiners and coal rakers -- McD wouldn't have taken any flack if it weren't for the multiple head scratchers on daft day.. His draft picks and reaches clearly showed unpreparedness.. and no, it's not an excuse he had less than time then some..

yea, it is a valid excuse because other teams have 2-4 month leads on him, or some stability in the FO which knows teh current roster and can draft around it.

sure the draft wasnt great, most people are aware of that and would change parts if they could (ie alphonso), but he gets more than one draft to prove whether he can draft or not, we all know shanahan had years of absolute worthless drafting and he got a lot of passes. mcdaniels FA signings last year were nothing short of amazing, especially considering waht he paid for them.

like i said, theres nothing wrong with a guy picking guys he truely thinks can contribute, instead of trying to find reachs that MAY fit, he wants guys that WILL (atleast in his scouting reports and evaluations, of course they all wont turn out that way)

PKchamp13
03-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Hardesty would be a great pick in the 3rd/4th round, he is very underrated IMO.

Eventually Buckhalter will be gone and when Moreno needs a break, Montario can come in with fresh legs and bust out his signature spin move.

Dean
03-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Is it too late to give 'Phonso to the Sea Chickens for our first round pick back. This draft is loaded particularly in O-line and D-line/LBs.

Lonestar
03-02-2010, 03:22 AM
Hardesty would be a great pick in the 3rd/4th round, he is very underrated IMO.

Eventually Buckhalter will be gone and when Moreno needs a break, Montario can come in with fresh legs and bust out his signature spin move.

From what I have seen and heard about this guy he will not last till the third.

SOCALORADO.
03-02-2010, 08:37 AM
From what I have seen and heard about this guy he will not last till the third.

Only since the combine, darnit. But this draft is pretty deep at RB, so DEN is in good shape.
Still, i think Hardesty is worth a late 3rd. Hopefully, DEN can aquire another.
Or Hardesty lasts untill the 4th. He might since theres alot of big backs out there. (Tate,Gerhard)

silkamilkamonico
03-02-2010, 01:39 PM
I agree with the comment of, "we have so many needs, if Denver drafts a RB before the 5th round I will pull my hair out", or something to that extent.

Dean
03-02-2010, 03:09 PM
. . . but then we still won't have the necessary people in the trenches and you will be bald.

:D

SBboundBRONCOS
03-02-2010, 04:13 PM
i love hardesty . . . and im sure it has nothing to do with me going to UT haha

dude is a beast, doesnt have spectacular speed but good enough hes tough and yes he has a nasty spin move!