PDA

View Full Version : No NFL salary cap means virtually no trade talk

Lonestar
03-01-2010, 10:24 AM
No NFL salary cap means virtually no trade talk
POSTED: 03/01/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

INDIANAPOLIS — Can't talk trade if there is no talk.

The NFL scouting combine all but ended Sunday for NFL agents representing current players who are trying to move to a new team or get a new contract through unrestricted or restricted free agency.

In the various downtown hotel lobbies, there wasn't even a rumor of a deal.

At this point, don't expect the Broncos to trade receiver Brandon Marshall or tight end Tony Scheffler anytime soon after the free agent/trading period opens at 10:01 p.m. MST on Thursday.

Blame the no-buzz free agency on the NFL's new way of doing business. For the 2010 season, the league will operate without a salary cap. It's a system that has severely squeezed what would have been an attractive group of free agents and dropped them into restricted free agency, in which teams continue to have control on fourth- and fifth-year players.

The Broncos are still expected to sign three to six significant unrestricted free agents this weekend. Their biggest area of need is the line of scrimmage, on both sides.

McDaniels and the draft.

Count the Broncos among the teams that concentrated their time here on the upcoming draft. The Broncos have one pick in each of the seven rounds, including the No. 11 overall selection in the first.

"The big thing for me here is the interviews at night," said Broncos coach Josh McDaniels.

Each team is allotted 60 interviews with college prospects, 15 minutes in length. Some teams use only half that amount. The Broncos use all 60, generally 20 a night.

What about Dez?

One college prospect who could generate more discussion than most among the Broncos' brass is Oklahoma State receiver Dez Bryant.

He's widely considered the most talented receiver in this draft, worthy of the No. 11 overall selection. But Bryant received a season-ending suspension from the NCAA last year for lying about his involvement with Deion Sanders concerning agents.

The Broncos would have to be careful. They would need Bryant only if they trade away Marshall for character reasons. The Broncos are then supposed to replace Marshall with another receiver with character concerns? That might bring that No. 11 pick back to the line of scrimmage.

Mike Klis, The Denver Post

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14489483#ixzz0gwFudaQJ

GEM
03-01-2010, 10:27 AM
If there's no chance that we get rid of Marshall this year, I wouldn't like the Dez pickup. Too many other needs to take a chance on another receiver if it's not immediately known we need one.

T.K.O.
03-01-2010, 10:52 AM
if marshall is" forced" to stay at 3.3 mil i doubt we see the same guy on the field.he has already waited an extra year to be paid like other top recievers.
i see nothing but troube if he has to play another "discount" year.
which would mean drafting dez might be smart either way,unfortunately the #11 pick and the best reciever in the draft will want even more money in an uncapped year....so we might be kinda screwed.
with the current situation i think there will be alot of teams fielding 2nd string talent next year . they might be the only ones willing to show up

CoachChaz
03-01-2010, 11:20 AM
if marshall is" forced" to stay at 3.3 mil i doubt we see the same guy on the field.he has already waited an extra year to be paid like other top recievers.
i see nothing but troube if he has to play another "discount" year.
which would mean drafting dez might be smart either way,unfortunately the #11 pick and the best reciever in the draft will want even more money in an uncapped year....so we might be kinda screwed.
with the current situation i think there will be alot of teams fielding 2nd string talent next year . they might be the only ones willing to show up

Problem is...there's likely to be about 200 other RFA's that are forced to play on a "cheap" one year deal this year as well. Cant exactly hold the teams responsible. If I was an owner, I'd be hesitant to shell out mega-million dollar contracts without a CBA in place as well.

T.K.O.
03-01-2010, 11:26 AM
i agree thats why there are gonna be some very "unhappy training campers" from rookies to vets on multiple teams.
i think thats why there have been so few deals done,its the owners way of putting pressure on the players to get a deal done before tc or the start of the 2010 season.
and i hope it works

WARHORSE
03-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Dez Bryant wont be coming here.

The word is out that hes irresponsible, and unmotivated to show up to team activities on time, that he needs a baby sitter.

I wouldnt give him millions of dollars in a million years.

NO to Bryant.

That being said, we need LOS players. DT, OL, LB.