PDA

View Full Version : Broncos had better not pass up LeFevour

Lonestar
02-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Paige: Broncos had better not pass up LeFevour
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
POSTED: 02/28/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

On a Monday night season past, I was watching football in a downtown pub when a young man plopped onto the next stool and asked: "OK if I sit here?"

"Yes, but you wouldn't have been my first choice."

"Dan LeFevour," he said emphatically.

"Good to meet you, Dan."

"No. The Broncos should draft Dan LeFevour. Central Michigan quarterback. He's the next Ben Roethlisberger out of the MAC. Check him out."

I indulged him. "Yeah. Sure. I will."

The young man — a contractor, not an NFL scout or a doofus draftnik — bombarded me with e-mails and, finally, I paid attention.

The Broncos should draft quarterback Dan LeFevour.

We got The Fever.

On Super Bowl eve, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen told Mike Klis of The Post that he wanted Kyle Orton to return, but "I'd also like to think we might have the opportunity to draft a young quarterback." Yet, Bowlen had said of Jay Cutler, a day after Mike Shanahan was fired, "Obviously, he is the man around here now."

"Now" lasted three months.

And, "obviously," the Broncos "now" need a QB who will become "the man around here" for the long term. Orton, Chris Simms and Tom Brandstater are not the solution.

LeFevour could be.

Even though coach Josh McDaniels said Saturday during a news conference at the NFL combine that he has "high hopes" for Brandstater and that Orton will be an improved quarterback in 2010 (Simms was not mentioned), the coach added: "If there's another player that we felt could come and make that group better, we wouldn't turn our shoulder away."

The pronouncement was rather mushy.

The 6-foot-3, 229-pound LeFevour, who will be 23 next month, is the only player in NCAA history to pass for more than 12,000 yards (12,905) and rush for more than 2,500 yards (2,947). He threw for 102 touchdowns, ran for 47. Last season he completed 69.9 percent of his passes. LeFevour, out of Downers Grove, Ill. (which produced ex-Avs coach Tony Granato), was selected the MVP in two bowls during his four seasons at Central Michigan and voted the most outstanding player for the North team in the recent Senior Bowl. He hit on 5-of-10 passes for 97 yards and a TD and ran for another TD.

LeFevour, whose Chippewas finished 12-2 (and beat Michigan State) last season, was impressive — more so than Tim Tebow — in Senior Bowl practices and the game and shortly after in the college all-stars skills challenge, in which he threw a 60-yard pass and finished first in the scrambling competition.

"The Fever" can throw short, midrange, long (33 completions in his final game at Central Michigan); he has the size, smarts and durability; and he definitely can run.

Gaudy statistics, exceptional achievements.

Like Tebow, though, LeFevour was a spread-offense shotgun quarterback and will have to adjust. But McDaniels' system is primarily shotgun-centric.

But he played in the Mid-American Conference?

The MAC has become a breeding turf for NFL quarterbacks. Ask the Steelers, who've had four MAC quarterbacks — especially Roethlisberger — on the roster lately. Seven QBs from the conference were in the league in 2009.

The Broncos drafted a quarterback from Central Michigan in 1975, but Mike Franckowiak started only one game in two seasons . . . as a running back.

Most of us would prefer that the Broncos get a quarterback

SUBMIT YOUR QUESTION

Post sports columnist Woody Paige fields your questions. Look for Woody's Mailbag on Thursdays.

from Oklahoma or Notre Dame, but the Rams will pick Sam Bradford No. 1 overall, and Jimmy Clausen won't survive the fourth pick owned by the Redskins and you know who.
Somebody (probably the Jaguars) will take the highest-profile, high-risk, high-reward or high-failure Tebow.

Then there's LeFevour — expected to go in the second or third round. The Broncos are choosing at Nos. 11, 45 and 80 — unless, as last year in April, they do some trading up and down. They very well could add two picks by trading Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler.

If the best receiver in the draft, Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant, is still available, the Broncos, in all likelihood, seize him. If he's not, they can make a deal for a later first-round choice and grab the best nose tackle, Tennessee's Dan Williams.

Other quarterbacks to consider are Jarrett Brown of West Virginia (who wasn't anything special against weak Colorado), uneven Jevan Snead of Ole Miss, 6-6 Tony Pike of Cincinnati, Chatfield High School's own Zac Robinson (Oklahoma State) and Texas' Colt McCoy, who needs no introduction.

The Broncos could take a flyer on a quarterback in a later round. They did with Brandstater last year, and in exhibitions he was 26-of-46 for 298 yards, zero touchdowns, two interceptions, and QB'ed the Broncos to a 19-0 victory over the Cardinals in the finale. But, based on statements from Bowlen and McDaniels, the Broncos, as they must, continue to search for a "man."

The guy on the adjoining pub stool may be right about LeFevour. If so, next time I'll buy him a salad.

Woody Paige: 303-954-1095 or wpaige@denverpost.com

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14485507#ixzz0grwLTvnW

I've already sent woody my thoughts on this

broncobryce
02-28-2010, 04:52 PM
I've been looking at him lately. I was thinking Iupati in the first round, and Lefevour in the second. But then I remembered our D-line, so I dont know. But I agree we should take a hard look at this kid.

tsiguy96
02-28-2010, 05:36 PM
i like him a lot, i would definitely be happy if we picked him up.

T.K.O.
02-28-2010, 05:46 PM
williams or bryant in the 1st and i say grab "the fever" in the 2nd.sounds good.
on the other hand i wonder if "woody" buys alot of guys salad at a bar ?:laugh:

Carl
02-28-2010, 06:08 PM
I've been looking at him lately. I was thinking Iupati in the first round, and Lefever in the second. But then I remembered our D-line, so I dont know. But I agree we should take a hard look at this kid.

Agreed, Our Dline takes priority. The first and second rounds have to be dedicated to stopping the run and opening up holes for our run game. If "The Fever" falls to us in the 3rd however I think we take a strong look at him.

T.K.O.
02-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Agreed, Our Dline takes priority. The first and second rounds have to be dedicated to stopping the run and opening up holes for our run game. If "The Fever" falls to us in the 3rd however I think we take a strong look at him.

we might have 3 or 4 #2's by draft day .... then we can burn one on a qb;)

Carl
02-28-2010, 06:22 PM
we might have 3 or 4 #2's by draft day .... then we can burn one on a qb;)

Call me a skeptic but im hesitant to say i think thats how the offseason will pan out. If it does however i will be stoked. This is an incredibly deep draft that doesnt neccesarily have a clear "top" and "bottom." 3 or 4 picks in the 2nd round would be an awesome way to take advantage of the situation and breathe life into a rather talentless team. And if all goes as you say it will then spending a 2nd on Lefeavour would make plenty of sense.

Ziggy
02-28-2010, 06:27 PM
I doubt LeFevour goes in the 2nd, especially after not throwing at the combine. He should be available in the 3rd, possibly 4th round if we want him there. I really don't like Woody Paige, but I agree with his assessment on Lefevour.

TXBRONC
02-28-2010, 08:16 PM
I doubt LeFevour goes in the 2nd, especially after not throwing at the combine. He should be available in the 3rd, possibly 4th round if we want him there. I really don't like Woody Paige, but I agree with his assessment on Lefevour.

I assume he'll have a pro day so that could change everything.

Ziggy
02-28-2010, 08:30 PM
I assume he'll have a pro day so that could change everything.

Throwing at pro days don't raise a QB's stock nearly as much as throwing at the combine. Reason being, during the combine the QB's don't have a choice on which throws they make. They have to make them all. At thier pro day, they can map out thier own throws and disguise thier weaknesses. Not throwing at the combine was a big mistake for Lefevour and will do nothing but drop his stock. I'd still love to see the Broncos take a shot at this kid though.

Lonestar
02-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Call me a skeptic but im hesitant to say i think thats how the offseason will pan out. If it does however i will be stoked. This is an incredibly deep draft that doesnt neccesarily have a clear "top" and "bottom." 3 or 4 picks in the 2nd round would be an awesome way to take advantage of the situation and breathe life into a rather talentless team. And if all goes as you say it will then spending a 2nd on Lefeavour would make plenty of sense.

Hey guy be prepared for the onslaught your going to get on that remark.

Four

Three

Two

One

TXBRONC
02-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Throwing at pro days don't raise a QB's stock nearly as much as throwing at the combine. Reason being, during the combine the QB's don't have a choice on which throws they make. They have to make them all. At thier pro day, they can map out thier own throws and disguise thier weaknesses. Not throwing at the combine was a big mistake for Lefevour and will do nothing but drop his stock. I'd still love to see the Broncos take a shot at this kid though.

I can see where that probably true in many instances but a pro day has the same goal as the combine so I can't see how it wouldn't help a quarterback's stock if goes out at his pro day makes all the throws.

CrazyHorse
02-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Yes a quarterback! Plus his last name sounds like Favre, even better!

tsiguy96
02-28-2010, 10:33 PM
Yes a quarterback! Plus his last name sounds like Favre, even better!

his name looks atlast remotely how it sounds. whoever in favre's history spelled their name did it wrong, plain and simple.

CrazyHorse
02-28-2010, 10:41 PM
his name looks atlast remotely how it sounds. whoever in favre's history spelled their name did it wrong, plain and simple.

If the dudes anything like Favre we'll have a franchise QB for the next 20 years.

tsiguy96
02-28-2010, 10:55 PM
If the dudes anything like Favre we'll have a franchise QB for the next 20 years.

hes a different player. not a great arm. think kyle orton, except far more mobile.

Ziggy
02-28-2010, 10:57 PM
I can see where that probably true in many instances but a pro day has the same goal as the combine so I can't see how it wouldn't help a quarterback's stock if goes out at his pro day makes all the throws.

The combine also helps show how quickly a QB can adapt to the receivers around him. At a pro day, they are throwing to guys that they have thrown to for anywhere from 1-4 years. They know thier speed and habits. Even if they make all the throws, it's still a big advantage being familiar with the guys running the routes and catching the ball. Not throwing at the combine is backing down from a challenge and a chance to prove to the scouts that you can throw in any situation at any time. One of the reasons that Jay Cutler and Brady Quinn's stock rose so high prior to the draft was because they accepted the challenge and stepped up to the plate. It shows a fearless mentality, which is what you want in your QB. I'm not discounting Lefevour. I'm actually a big fan of his, but it's disappointing that he didn't throw today.

WARHORSE
03-01-2010, 02:59 AM
I dont see us drafting a QB early, unless its Clausen or Bradford.....which wont happen.

But Fevour later, in the third perhaps, would be a good pickup.

I believe we will have an extra first and third when we go into this draft.

Maybe more.

Fevour would bring a new dimension to the offense.......a running QB.

Lonestar
03-01-2010, 04:21 AM
How do your get a running game from a QB.
Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

Elevation inc
03-01-2010, 06:14 AM
most scouts have him in rd 4 right now.....

CoachChaz
03-01-2010, 08:22 AM
The combine also helps show how quickly a QB can adapt to the receivers around him. At a pro day, they are throwing to guys that they have thrown to for anywhere from 1-4 years. They know thier speed and habits. Even if they make all the throws, it's still a big advantage being familiar with the guys running the routes and catching the ball. Not throwing at the combine is backing down from a challenge and a chance to prove to the scouts that you can throw in any situation at any time. One of the reasons that Jay Cutler and Brady Quinn's stock rose so high prior to the draft was because they accepted the challenge and stepped up to the plate. It shows a fearless mentality, which is what you want in your QB. I'm not discounting Lefevour. I'm actually a big fan of his, but it's disappointing that he didn't throw today.

Incorrect. The combine shows how well you do in DRILLS. Yes, the teams would like to see the kids throw, but they already have game film for all that and most teams understand that kids are more comfortable working out where they have been for 3,4,5 years.

I can promise you...no prospect is going to drop because he didnt throw or run at the combine

SOCALORADO.
03-01-2010, 09:29 AM
LeFevor didnt throw cause he has a wet noodle for an arm. I have watched a bunch of his games, and he is absolutely one of the best college, spread QBs out there.
He can throw a 7 yard quick slant with the best of them.
The deep pass however he cannot throw. Just cant, and he and his agent know this.

Elevation inc
03-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Incorrect. The combine shows how well you do in DRILLS. Yes, the teams would like to see the kids throw, but they already have game film for all that and most teams understand that kids are more comfortable working out where they have been for 3,4,5 years.

I can promise you...no prospect is going to drop because he didnt throw or run at the combine

i might disagre... i have heard many scouts drop players on the board slightly if they dont participate in drills for any other reason other than injury...it may not be much...but im quite sure scouts dont exactly go great so and so isnt participating he shoudl stay where he is at on our board......strikes me as odd thats all....

CoachChaz
03-01-2010, 12:06 PM
i might disagre... i have heard many scouts drop players on the board slightly if they dont participate in drills for any other reason other than injury...it may not be much...but im quite sure scouts dont exactly go great so and so isnt participating he shoudl stay where he is at on our board......strikes me as odd thats all....

If Bradford was healthy and still didnt throw at the combine...would his stock drop? Not likely. it's what game film is for. Scouts and coaches put more value in what a kid can do in a game than they do in how he does at drills.

However...you'll always see players rise up the boards when they have good combines. And they are usually busts. Jacoby Ford will be that guy this year. No better than a 3rd or 4th round player and now people are talking about him getting drafted in the 2nd.

Another thing to consider...find the head scout for any team and compare his top 100 list to the head coaches. Odds are god the 2 lists wont be anything alike.

SOCALORADO.
03-01-2010, 12:37 PM
If Bradford was healthy and still didnt throw at the combine...would his stock drop? Not likely. it's what game film is for. Scouts and coaches put more value in what a kid can do in a game than they do in how he does at drills.

However...you'll always see players rise up the boards when they have good combines. And they are usually busts. Jacoby Ford will be that guy this year. No better than a 3rd or 4th round player and now people are talking about him getting drafted in the 2nd.

Another thing to consider...find the head scout for any team and compare his top 100 list to the head coaches. Odds are god the 2 lists wont be anything alike.

True to a specific extent.
I think the combine in specific positions can highlight a players weaknesses and highlight a players positives as well.
The QB position is a perfect example.
Alot of scouts never get to see specific routes on tape because that player plays for a team the doesnt run those specific routes...ever!
So, coaches can really see just what a QB is capable of.
However at his 'pro-day" well, he isnt going to throw those routes cause its all controlled by the school.
Their are a limited few situations at the combine that you really take away info on a player.
BUT YES, game tape is where its at.

CoachChaz
03-01-2010, 12:57 PM
True to a specific extent.
I think the combine in specific positions can highlight a players weaknesses and highlight a players positives as well.
The QB position is a perfect example.
Alot of scouts never get to see specific routes on tape because that player plays for a team the doesnt run those specific routes...ever!
So, coaches can really see just what a QB is capable of.
However at his 'pro-day" well, he isnt going to throw those routes cause its all controlled by the school.
Their are a limited few situations at the combine that you really take away info on a player.
BUT YES, game tape is where its at.

At Pro-Day they do focus on a players strengths, but they also have them do things that they typically wouldnt do. These usually happen at scout/coach request. If I have an offense that throws 10 yard out timimg routes and I dont have film on the prospect doing that...and then I ask him to do it and he wont...I'm simply not drafting him. I know it, he knows it, the school knows it and the agent knows it. So, it's not like the kids avoid certain things at Pro-Day.

Bradford is a perfect example. The only real film of him is from 2008. Tough to get good stuff because he was rarely under pressure and they scored an average of like 65 points a game over most of the season. So, you have to take the tape from his 2 losses. In those, he still played well in probably 7 of the 8 quarters. he made throws on the run and while under pressure. His ability to dominate, make throws and play under pressure are why he's the top QB prospect...regardless of what he does or doesnt do at the combine or Pro-Day

SOCALORADO.
03-01-2010, 01:23 PM
At Pro-Day they do focus on a players strengths, but they also have them do things that they typically wouldnt do. These usually happen at scout/coach request. If I have an offense that throws 10 yard out timimg routes and I dont have film on the prospect doing that...and then I ask him to do it and he wont...I'm simply not drafting him. I know it, he knows it, the school knows it and the agent knows it. So, it's not like the kids avoid certain things at Pro-Day.

Bradford is a perfect example. The only real film of him is from 2008. Tough to get good stuff because he was rarely under pressure and they scored an average of like 65 points a game over most of the season. So, you have to take the tape from his 2 losses. In those, he still played well in probably 7 of the 8 quarters. he made throws on the run and while under pressure. His ability to dominate, make throws and play under pressure are why he's the top QB prospect...regardless of what he does or doesnt do at the combine or Pro-Day

I agree. I do however think that coaches go to the pro day to also meet these guys up close, and in specific situations see if they will do something they have not done before that makes or breaks them as a player to that coach.
But yes, i agree (again) that game tape is where its at.

Ziggy
03-01-2010, 02:07 PM
I think we all agree that game tape is more valuable than combine workouts. Bradford is a completely different story than Lefevour. He's played in big games against the best competition with the national title on the line. Lefevour has no such tape. I don't put too much stock into combine workouts, but if you think that a small school prospect refusing to throw at the combine doesn't hurt his stock, we will have to agree to disagree.

CoachChaz
03-01-2010, 02:24 PM
I think we all agree that game tape is more valuable than combine workouts. Bradford is a completely different story than Lefevour. He's played in big games against the best competition with the national title on the line. Lefevour has no such tape. I don't put too much stock into combine workouts, but if you think that a small school prospect refusing to throw at the combine doesn't hurt his stock, we will have to agree to disagree.

I agree...to disagree. Regardless of him throwing or not there is still game footage of him. No, it's not against elite competition, but it's game film nonetheless. I cant think of any reason to see how throwing a few passes, indoors, without pads, without pressure...will tell any coach or scout anything different from what they've already seen on film.

Based on this, I think it's silly for kids to choose NOT to throw, but I dont think it hurts them one way or another. Example: Ben Roethlisberger. A junior from a small MAC school that threw like total crap his combine workout and was still a first round pick.

Elevation inc
03-01-2010, 02:37 PM

i disagree with that to becasue for instance there is alot of question surrounding the velocity of bradfords deeper throws and some tend to waver on his tape...throwing at the combine could have removed all doubt so yes i belive he isnt where he could be had he thrown....he dropped a bit...a solid pro day for example solidfies him as possibly the top Qb but right now....there are questions and his value is wavering a bit because of the questions...