PDA

View Full Version : League could change postseason overtime format

Denver Native (Carol)
02-27-2010, 10:17 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d816a29f8&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

INDIANAPOLIS -- An NFL spokesman says the league could change its overtime format for playoff games at a meeting next month.

Greg Aiello said Satuday that under the new format, both teams would get the ball at least once unless the first team to get the ball scores a touchdown.

If the first team to get the ball makes a field goal and the other team ties the game, action would continue until a team scores again.

Under the current rules, the first team to score wins.

The competition committee will discuss the new concept with teams and players at league meetings March 21-24 in Orlando, Fla., when it could come to a vote. At least two thirds of the teams would need to agree to the changes for new rules to be adopted.

Lonestar
02-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Hope they leave it alone.

Of course the defense could make a stop to to allow the FG.

If they can't they do not deserve to win.

MasterShake
02-27-2010, 10:25 PM
I still like the first to 6 rule. Two FGs or a TD!

CrazyHorse
02-27-2010, 10:27 PM
I hope they change it. The Vikings totally got robbed.

Lonestar
02-27-2010, 10:31 PM
I hope they change it. The Vikings totally got robbed.

All they had to do was stop them from scoring.

For that matter stop them from tying the game.

As much as I would have loved for farve to win that game they did not deserve it.

How do you think that it would not have been tied up with another FG. and then Manning beat them.

OrangeHoof
02-27-2010, 11:05 PM
aka the "please keep Favre from losing" rule.

silkamilkamonico
02-27-2010, 11:56 PM
I'm not sure why they would change it for post season but not for regular season.

Anyone know stats of how often the team wins the coin toss goes on to score on the first possession anyways?

KCL
02-28-2010, 12:28 AM
I'm not sure why they would change it for post season but not for regular season.

Anyone know stats of how often the team wins the coin toss goes on to score on the first possession anyways?

Hey I agree with you...;)

If they changed it for the regular season as well that could be the difference in who goes to the playoffs.

Lonestar
02-28-2010, 12:34 AM

Last thing I heard was about 60%.

But again if you play for a tie instead of going for the win, what does tht make you?

IF your defense is worth a crap then who wins the toss, it should not matter.

A complete team win.

gregbroncs
02-28-2010, 12:59 AM
Last I heard it was like 75 or 80% but that was a few years ago. I hate the OT rules in the NFL. Biggest problem with the league right now if you ask me. The coin toss should not determine the winner of the games. I like the 1st to 6 rule or whomever is winning after the 15 minute OT.

KCL
02-28-2010, 01:28 AM
Last thing I heard was about 60%.

But again if you play for a tie instead of going for the win, what does tht make you?

IF your defense is worth a crap then who wins the toss, it should not matter.

A complete team win.

what if your defense is worth a crap and your offense turns the ball over ;)...when I read your post...I automatically thought of the Vikes/Bears game when Peterson fumbled the ball in OT to give Chicago the win.

KCL
02-28-2010, 01:29 AM
Last I heard it was like 75 or 80% but that was a few years ago. I hate the OT rules in the NFL. Biggest problem with the league right now if you ask me. The coin toss should not determine the winner of the games. I like the 1st to 6 rule or whomever is winning after the 15 minute OT.

the coin toss doesn't determine the winner of the game though...But I agree..play the whole 15 minutes of OT...I believe this is what you're saying.

OrangeHoof
02-28-2010, 01:38 PM
The reason they may do different rules for regular season and postseason is television. The networks love nailbiting games with drama but they really want them finished in 3-1/2 hours or less. If you make OT longer, you are going to play havoc with their schedules. You could have "60 Minutes" starting at 8:30 Eastern time and that would be unacceptable when advertisers bought ad time believing it would be shown at one point of the evening and it got shown at a different point of the evening, particularly if it bumped a show out of prime time.

broncofanatic1987
02-28-2010, 01:53 PM
If they change it for the post season they should change it for the regular season. There shouldn't be special rules for the post season that don't exist for the regular season except for the no tie rule.

gregbroncs
02-28-2010, 03:02 PM
the coin toss doesn't determine the winner of the game though...But I agree..play the whole 15 minutes of OT...I believe this is what you're saying.Either play the whole thing or go with a variation of the college system or go with the 1st to 6 points wins. At one time the % of wins by the team that won the coin toss was over 70%. With the rules encouraging more scoring winning that toss is determining the winner at a unacceptable rate. Anything over 55% of the time is unacceptable.

Any of these solutions is a better option than the current format. Also changing it for the post season only is a pathetic way of saying the current system does not work. All or nothing I don't want a different set of rules for the post season.

Lonestar
02-28-2010, 03:17 PM
what if your defense is worth a crap and your offense turns the ball over ;)...when I read your post...I automatically thought of the Vikes/Bears game when Peterson fumbled the ball in OT to give Chicago the win.

Say la vie.

Shat happens, maybe they could have also fumbled it twice.

In that case you stated IIRC the defense made a great play, thus my comment/whole Idea about being a complete team.

Apollo
02-28-2010, 03:48 PM
As someone mentioned, play the full 15 minutes, whoever comes out on top wins. In the case it is tied after that period, teams take turns to get the ball on the 50 yard line and drive down for a touchdown. Whoever scores and prevents the other team from scoring wins.

Way more fair than the current system.

rcsodak
02-28-2010, 05:43 PM
the coin toss doesn't determine the winner of the game though...But I agree..play the whole 15 minutes of OT...I believe this is what you're saying.

OMG!

By the time the frickin' game is over, it'll be half time of the Broncos' game!

The buttheads need to be smart about it, and when the early game goes to OT, they need to then switch to the local/regional late game. I'm tired of having to run out to the bar just so I don't miss the 1st qtr.

Either that, or put an hour in between the two games. They could fill that time with early game stats, interviews, etc.

rcsodak
02-28-2010, 05:45 PM
The reason they may do different rules for regular season and postseason is television. The networks love nailbiting games with drama but they really want them finished in 3-1/2 hours or less. If you make OT longer, you are going to play havoc with their schedules. You could have "60 Minutes" starting at 8:30 Eastern time and that would be unacceptable when advertisers bought ad time believing it would be shown at one point of the evening and it got shown at a different point of the evening, particularly if it bumped a show out of prime time.

Screw 60mins.

If I want to see propaganda on my TV, I'll switch it to pMSNBC. :rolleyes:

KCL
02-28-2010, 06:04 PM
OMG!

By the time the frickin' game is over, it'll be half time of the Broncos' game!

The buttheads need to be smart about it, and when the early game goes to OT, they need to then switch to the local/regional late game. I'm tired of having to run out to the bar just so I don't miss the 1st qtr.

Either that, or put an hour in between the two games. They could fill that time with early game stats, interviews, etc.

Here in KC..if they play the late game...and the earlier game goes to OT...they switch it to the Chiefs game...guess we all can't be happy about what happens beyond our control.

stay at the bar...might mellow you out... :couch:

Ravage!!!
02-28-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm glad that they are looking to change it. They should do this for the regular season, but at least they are being smart about doing it for the playoffs. This was the system I was wanting for all games.

Its not hard to get into FG range. That shouldn't be the determining factor for a win. This "they should have made a stop" thing sucks, because you can't say the same thing about the OTHER team.

"They should have made a stop." Makes me want to go and punch that person in the face and say "You should have made a block" then tell you you aren't allowed to punch back because you didn't block my punch.

rcsodak
02-28-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm glad that they are looking to change it. They should do this for the regular season, but at least they are being smart about doing it for the playoffs. This was the system I was wanting for all games.

Its not hard to get into FG range. That shouldn't be the determining factor for a win. This "they should have made a stop" thing sucks, because you can't say the same thing about the OTHER team.

"They should have made a stop." Makes me want to go and punch that person in the face and say "You should have made a block" then tell you you aren't allowed to punch back because you didn't block my punch.

They should have made a stop.

:coffee:

CrazyHorse
02-28-2010, 10:46 PM
I like no overtime in the regular season, and a full 15 minute quarter in the postseason.

rcsodak
02-28-2010, 10:56 PM
I like no overtime in the regular season, and a full 15 minute quarter in the postseason.

Hell yea!

Let the team/coaches all go to the locker room after regulation, and let the kickers decide the game. Start at the 30...then the 40....then the 45...then the 50....whoever makes the most, wins. :D

Maybe that'd help getting a kicker or three into the HoF, to boot.

Lonestar
02-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Hell yea!

Let the team/coaches all go to the locker room after regulation, and let the kickers decide the game. Start at the 30...then the 40....then the 45...then the 50....whoever makes the most, wins. :D

Maybe that'd help getting a kicker or three into the HoF, to boot.

Well, that makes about as much sense as the proposed one.

rcsodak
02-28-2010, 11:37 PM

.....precisely, Watson! :D

KCL
02-28-2010, 11:42 PM

hell just let the games end in a tie and that'll solve the OT stuff!

Biz1
03-01-2010, 12:04 PM
What happens in the event of a safety or 2 point conversion?

Looks like the NFL hasn't figured that one out yet.

Ravage!!!
03-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Playing an extra quarter is just too much. THey players are already tired, and the owners don't want an entire extra quarter to get players hurt when they are already beat. They will never extend to an entire extra quarter of football.

I like this. I like it because it adds the same kind of strategies that the 2 pt conversions added to the NFL (and so many people opposed that as well).

Right now, teams that get the ball in OT play for the FG. If you get the big play that goes for the TD, great. But the goal is just to get into FG range. That shortens the field by about 30 yrds (if not more). If you get a good kick return, say to the 30, then you only have to travel 40 yrds. Once a team gets into FG range, they play super conservative, and don't try for anything other than to NOT lose the ball.

If you added the fact that the other team could then come back and score, you pressure the team to make a decision. You force them to TRY and get the TD instead of jut playing for the FG. Now, you play with the entire field. Its hard to keep a team from getting 40 yrds, but it gives a defense a MUCH better chance of keeping them out of the endzone.

If you can't keep them out of the endzone in the opening drive....well.. so be it. The NFL did everything they could to give you a chance. Had they not changed anything, you would have lost. Can't cry about it.

CoachChaz
03-01-2010, 01:02 PM
I guess that's why I like the full 15 minute OT. Let's see which team can hang in there the longest. Now it's not a matter of who has the better kicker, but more a matter of which TEAM can perform longer

underrated29
03-01-2010, 01:36 PM
I hate changing the rules because of the QBs.

brady and the tuck.
peyton had some rule.

Now the OT in postseason. I dont care if they change the OT rules, I understand that. But its only relevant now because of Bretty boy. Comeon. The vikes did not get screwed. They got Farved.

If he would have not thrown the pick, or their Great D made a play things would be different. He did not, they did not.

As for the changes of the OT- I support first to 7 or so. That leads teams to be aggressive, and not a boring chess match of field position. I want teams to air it out, or go for the throat. Make OT exciting, like it is in NHL.

Nomad
03-01-2010, 01:47 PM
I hate changing the rules because of the QBs.

brady and the tuck.
peyton had some rule.

Now the OT in postseason. I dont care if they change the OT rules, I understand that. But its only relevant now because of Bretty boy. Comeon. The vikes did not get screwed. They got Farved.

If he would have not thrown the pick, or their Great D made a play things would be different. He did not, they did not.

As for the changes of the OT- I support first to 7 or so. That leads teams to be aggressive, and not a boring chess match of field position. I want teams to air it out, or go for the throat. Make OT exciting, like it is in NHL.

I agree! Take out the FGs and first team to score a td wins. This 'each team needs a chance' is BS, they had 60 minutes to do that!! Just hope who ever loses the coin toss can defend!!

CoachChaz
03-01-2010, 01:55 PM
I agree! Take out the FGs and first team to score a td wins. This 'each team needs a chance' is BS, they had 60 minutes to do that!! Just hope who ever loses the coin toss can defend!!

I would agree...if the team asked to defend first wasnt doing so simply because they guess the wrong side of the coin. Tell me the team with the least penalties or the team with the most 1st downs gets to receive...but dont tell me a Vegas style guessing game is the best way to determine who gets to try a 50 yard FG first

Biz1
03-01-2010, 05:14 PM

The whole issue is very complex. I did some research on college rules earlier today(lots of boring reading). A modified NCAA format might work.

1. Coin toss performed as usual with the winner having choice of deferring or starting on their own 25. Deferment results in opponent starting at their own 25. This eliminates the quick drive for a FG in OT that so often results from a bad ref call or one blown play. A team should not lose a playoff game on a FG when their D played a good series overall.

Here's the problem, how do you you deal with the safety or 2 point conversion option?. You would have to not give the points out in OT and simply award a change of possession. There is no way for the opposing team to evenly make up that 2 point differential.

Quite frankly, the issue is so complex I'm inclined to agree with a few here and say leave it be!.

Nomad
03-01-2010, 05:57 PM
The whole issue is very complex. I did some research on college rules earlier today(lots of boring reading). A modified NCAA format might work.

1. Coin toss performed as usual with the winner having choice of deferring or starting on their own 25. Deferment results in opponent starting at their own 25. This eliminates the quick drive for a FG in OT that so often results from a bad ref call or one blown play. A team should not lose a playoff game on a FG when their D played a good series overall.

Here's the problem, how do you you deal with the safety or 2 point conversion option?. You would have to not give the points out in OT and simply award a change of possession. There is no way for the opposing team to evenly make up that 2 point differential.

Quite frankly, the issue is so complex I'm inclined to agree with a few here and say leave it be!.

All I can say is whoever loses the coin toss better hope there defense comes through and gives them a chance and get rid of FGs in OT as well. Safeties won't matter because it only means the defending team gets the ball on the 20 (so they'll have to march 80 yds to win) and 2pt conversions won't matter because the first team to score a touchdown wins!! And make this for the regular and playoff games because like I said before each team had 60 minutes to win (the idea of an extra 15 min quarter is bogus), just have to make the defense accountable for the loss if their team didn't win the coin toss!!

Or just leave it as is......life's not fair sometimes, people have to deal with it!!

Biz1
03-01-2010, 07:29 PM
All I can say is whoever loses the coin toss better hope there defense comes through and gives them a chance and get rid of FGs in OT as well. Safeties won't matter because it only means the defending team gets the ball on the 20 (so they'll have to march 80 yds to win) and 2pt conversions won't matter because the first team to score a touchdown wins!! And make this for the regular and playoff games because like I said before each team had 60 minutes to win (the idea of an extra 15 min quarter is bogus), just have to make the defense accountable for the loss if their team didn't win the coin toss!!

Or just leave it as is......life's not fair sometimes, people have to deal with it!!

Hence the entire problem, any changes open up a new future argument.

IE: "We have the best FG kicker in the NFL, he was signed to win clutch games. Yet the new rule changes eliminated that possibility"...etc etc.

I think I'm inclined to leave it alone!

The Glue Factory
03-01-2010, 08:15 PM
To seemingly please everyone (including owners and players) why not just have a hockey or soccer style shootout? Line up the kickers at the 30 then 40 followed by 45 and 50. Most number of FGs made wins the game. This will also align us with soccer and hockey where wins would have an asterisk for OT shootout wins. The NFL could then have a bigger draw for those audiences.

OrangeHoof
03-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Screw 60mins.

In my younger days, I could. Now I need rest periods in between. :laugh: