PDA

View Full Version : The Best of the Yardbirds Guitarists?

Requiem / The Dagda
03-20-2008, 06:05 PM
You got Clapton, Beck and Page. Who is the best? :beer:

SR
03-20-2008, 06:07 PM
Clapton, hands down. Jimmy Paige is a close second.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Clapton, hands down. Jimmy Paige is a close second.

Thanks for answering man, I have to agree.

aberdien
03-20-2008, 06:37 PM
I'll go with Page.

Slick
03-20-2008, 07:36 PM
All three are incredible. Clapton is great, Jimmy is really good. Jeff Beck is a sleeper.

Check out "Blow by Blow" or "Wired"(Jeff Beck albums). Kind of dated sounding, but some excellent guitar work none the less. Wired is my least favorite of the two only because Jan Hammer's keyboards sometimes overpower the guitar, and IMO, that should never happen.

If I had to pick one, it'd be Page only because I'm a die hard Led Zepplin fan and most of their songs still move me.

Radio has killed many a Led Zepplin song though. Not because they're bad songs, but just due to overplaying them.

It's hard to believe that there was a band with the three of them in it.

dogfish
03-20-2008, 10:57 PM
i like clapton a lot, but it's paige all the way. . .

MOtorboat
03-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Clapton, by far.

Paige was a great guitarist, but he couldn't compare to Clapton.

SR
03-21-2008, 08:11 AM
Clapton, by far.

Paige is a great guitarist, but he can't compare to Clapton.

Corrected to present tense.

Hobe
03-21-2008, 07:47 PM
All three are incredible. Clapton is great, Jimmy is really good. Jeff Beck is a sleeper.

Check out "Blow by Blow" or "Wired"(Jeff Beck albums). Kind of dated sounding, but some excellent guitar work none the less.

I've owned "Blow by Blow" on LP, cassette tape, and CD. I think it is the best instrumental "albums" by any of the greats. Did you know that "Blow by Blow" was the first album produced by George Martin after the Beatles broke up?

Be that as it may, I still picked Clapton as the number one. To me Page and Beck are a tossup. Page has a defiant advantage because his group was so much better.

Slick
03-21-2008, 08:13 PM
I've owned "Blow by Blow" on LP, cassette tape, and CD. I think it is the best instrumental "albums" by any of the greats. Did you know that "Blow by Blow" was the first album produced by George Martin after the Beatles broke up?

Be that as it may, I still picked Clapton as the number one. To me Page and Beck are a tossup. Page has a defiant advantage because his group was so much better.

Cool. I was turned on to that album by a friend in San Antonio. I guess you would find it in a fusion section amongst 1970's Chick Corea albums. Really great music.

All three are extremely talented. There's not a scrub in the bunch.

Hobe
03-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Cool. I was turned on to that album by a friend in San Antonio. I guess you would find it in a fusion section amongst 1970's Chick Corea albums. Really great music.

All three are extremely talented. There's not a scrub in the bunch.

I really don't remember why I bought the Album, but I remember it blew me away. You’re right all three are great, but I always thought that Clapton had a distinct Blues flavor, Page was a very straight rocker, and Beck has a jazz style.

Slick
03-21-2008, 08:43 PM
I really don't remember why I bought the Album, but I remember it blew me away. You’re right all three are great, but I always thought that Clapton had a distinct Blues flavor, Page was a very straight rocker, and Beck has a jazz style.

I think that is an excellent assessment. :salute:

Hobe
03-21-2008, 08:59 PM
I think that is an excellent assessment. :salute:

Why thank you! Obviously you are very intelligent and very well informed! :D