PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels: "No question in my mind" Marshall, Scheffler can return

Denver Native (Carol)
02-27-2010, 03:01 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/27/mcdaniels-no-question-in-my-mind-marshall-scheffler-can-return/

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels has his share of conflict with Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler last year, but he remains open to having them back.

"They played an important role to our team this year. I don't see why that has to change," McDaniels said Saturday. "Certainly, there are some things that are going to go into this, but there's no question in my mind [they can return.]"

The inclusion of Scheffler in McDaniels' statement is noteworthy, if not quite trustworthy. The feeling previously was that the tight end had worn out his welcome. Unlike Marshall, Scheffler's didn't appear to fit the team's offense.

McDaniels spoke highly of Marshall's talent and productivity. He hasn't spoken to Marshall face-to-face this offseason, but plans to. Speaking softly the whole time, McDaniels did allude to his tumultous first season as coach.

"Our coaching staff is really excited about the direction we're going in. Hopefully we can deal with a few less distractions, but that's part of the game. Every team deals with it . . . that's what we had to last year."

Bringing Scheffler and Marshall back would seemingly invite more distractions, not less.

dogfish
02-27-2010, 03:10 PM
i don't buy it. . . maybe in marshall's case, given that he's our only productive talent on offense, but not scheffler. . . joshn has had no spot for chef in his offense since he first got here-- he tried to trade him right off the bat, and when he failed he talked up chef's ability in the media, went on about how he'd never had a receiving TE of chef's caliber in his offense before and he couldn't wait to ex[ploit some mismatches etc. . .

then he barely used him all season. . . and after some of chef's comments, i highly doubt he's welcome back in denver. . .

if he is, it would indicate a SERIOUS change of heart. . . i don't believe that's happened, and IMO this is just public "making nice" to set up a trade. . .

topscribe
02-27-2010, 03:20 PM
i don't buy it. . . maybe in marshall's case, given that he's our only productive talent on offense, but not scheffler. . . joshn has had no spot for chef in his offense since he first got here-- he tried to trade him right off the bat, and when he failed he talked up chef's ability in the media, went on about how he'd never had a receiving TE of chef's caliber in his offense before and he couldn't wait to ex[ploit some mismatches etc. . .

then he barely used him all season. . . and after some of chef's comments, i highly doubt he's welcome back in denver. . .

if he is, it would indicate a SERIOUS change of heart. . . i don't believe that's happened, and IMO this is just public "making nice" to set up a trade. . .

Thing about it is, even though Scheffler is a TE, he is a deep threat in an
offense with a dearth of true deep threats.. When he goes deep middle, he
so overmatches the defenders it has to be terrifying to the defense. Rather
than jettisoning him, I would much rather see more of him in the game plan.

But alas, 'tis not to be, I fear . . .

-----

Northman
02-27-2010, 03:23 PM

It was a possibility for Jay to return as well. There's ALWAYS a possibility for a player to stay. The difference is does the player want too and if he does will he be a good boy for McD. Saying all the right things and doing them are two different things alltogether.

DenBronx
02-27-2010, 04:15 PM
as long as everyones josh mcdaniels little robots then they can stay. if not then egos will keep you off the field regardless of talent and productivity.

topscribe
02-27-2010, 04:19 PM
as long as everyones josh mcdaniels little robots then they can stay. if not then egos will keep you off the field regardless of talent and productivity.

I'm not sure what you're saying. Should I translate that as McDaniels insists on
being the boss? If this is the case, then it is my position that he should insist on
it. He is the Head Coach. He should be the boss . . .

-----

Denver Native (Carol)
02-27-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm not sure what you're saying. Should I translate that as McDaniels insists on being the boss? If this is the case, then it is my position that he should insist on it. He is the Head Coach. He should be the boss . . .-----

Either that, or some would probably prefer Josh McD saying "Hey - I am going to be a fun coach - the heck with putting a system together, the heck with trying to win games - you all just do your own thing - HAVE FUN".

honz
02-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Um, Scheff took a lot of snaps at TE for us including most of our running plays. The statement that McD had no place for him in the offense is absolutely false. His numbers may have been down, but he played a pretty big role for most of the season.

Ravage!!!
02-27-2010, 05:51 PM
Um, Scheff took a lot of snaps at TE for us including most of our running plays. The statement that McD had no place for him in the offense is absolutely false. His numbers may have been down, but he played a pretty big role for most of the season.

Hmmmm... not from what I saw.

I guess that is determined by what you consider to be 'a pretty big role.'

nevcraw
02-27-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm not sure what you're saying. Should I translate that as McDaniels insists on
being the boss? If this is the case, then it is my position that he should insist on
it. He is the Head Coach. He should be the boss . . .

-----

Not to split hairs here but a quality boss does not insist they are the boss. People follow them because they are good leaders. Big difference when you are in the business of leading men.

broncofaninfla
02-27-2010, 05:55 PM
I hope we keep them both. Both are stud football players.

rationalfan
02-27-2010, 06:34 PM
when will this skepticism of the coach end? it's good to criticize leaders. but to not give them any benefit of any doubt is ridiculous.

my prediction: mcdaniels wins a super bowl and people still don't trust him.

topscribe
02-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Not to split hairs here but a quality boss does not insist they are the boss. People follow them because they are good leaders. Big difference when you are in the business of leading men.

That's nice to consider, idealistically. But it does not always work, realistically.
Not everyone follows a person just because that person is a good leader. One
invariably runs into situations where one must insist one is the boss. Sorry, but
some people must be reminded of that.

-----

T.K.O.
02-27-2010, 07:07 PM

little robots ? you mean he expects every one of the players to show up train and play hard and dont ask to be traded ! yeah he's just drunk with power:laugh:

Davii
02-27-2010, 07:29 PM
That's nice to consider, idealistically. But it does not always work, realistically.
invariably runs into situations where one must insist one is the boss. Sorry, but

-----

Honestly, if they are the type of players that must be reminded of that, they probably aren't the type of person that will fit into the "team first" concept.

Unfortunately many people do need reminding, and that is exactly what Josh did when he benched Marshall before the season, and again with Marsh and Scheff at the end.

Hopefully it carries over to this year, and hopefully both are still around.

Dreadnought
02-27-2010, 09:38 PM

-----

The flip side (and most of us have seen it at one time or another if we live long enough) is the crap boss and piss poor leader who couldn't lead a two man drunk, then blames everyone else for becoming disgusted with their own incapacity. Those are usually the ones who bray and posture loudest about wanting "team first" guys - and are invariably always the first to throw everyone else under the bus to preserve their own reputation. Its a personality type I loathe beyond all others on Earth.

nevcraw
02-27-2010, 10:39 PM
The flip side (and most of us have seen it at one time or another if we live long enough) is the crap boss and piss poor leader who couldn't lead a two man drunk, then blames everyone else for becoming disgusted with their own incapacity. Those are usually the ones who bray and posture loudest about wanting "team first" guys - and are invariably always the first to throw everyone else under the bus to preserve their own reputation. Its a personality type I loathe beyond all others on Earth.

Amen.. and in my experience those who decide to beat that "i'm the boss" drum are the ones you describe above.. idealistic or not..

nevcraw
02-27-2010, 11:00 PM

-----

understand what you are getting at but do not agree in the unvariable showdown when a good, true leader is involved. I'ts not unvariable..
The good ones - inspire by acts, compromise if necc, and always hold themselves to the highest standard.. These things amonst others get the others to follow.
The weak boss- they bang the insecure "I'm the boss the drum" to cajole and intimidate..

We shall see which this coach will ultimatly become.

topscribe
02-27-2010, 11:52 PM
understand what you are getting at but do not agree in the unvariable showdown when a good, true leader is involved. I'ts not unvariable..
The good ones - inspire by acts, compromise if necc, and always hold themselves to the highest standard.. These things amonst others get the others to follow.
The weak boss- they bang the insecure "I'm the boss the drum" to cajole and intimidate..

We shall see which this coach will ultimatly become.

I am a 64 year old who has been a leader in many capacities. More than once,
I have had to remind someone I am the boss. I do not believe that qualifies me
as a poor leader.

-----

topscribe
02-27-2010, 11:53 PM
Amen.. and in my experience those who decide to beat that "i'm the boss" drum are the ones you describe above.. idealistic or not..

You might have missed Dread's point ever so slightly. I don't believe he was
implying that this is the case in every single situation . . .

-----

Lonestar
02-28-2010, 12:49 AM
I was in management for a large corporation for nigh onto 20 years, and owned my own for another 15.

In every case for Avis, I was brought into fix a screwed up location/station of issue.

IN every case I had to reassert myself as the boss on more than one occasion. That I was hired to come in and fix the problems, that I had the authority to decide how to do that.

I suspect that this is a closer parallel to the issue with the broncos thatn many here want to believe.

The broncos were broken and he was hired to make them right again. Can anyone logically dispute that?

Had he been hired after mike retired and everything was running smoothly then I could almost understand that he may not have to remind folks he is the boss.

Davii
02-28-2010, 01:02 AM
I was in management for a large corporation for nigh onto 20 years, and owned my own for another 15.

In every case for Avis, I was brought into fix a screwed up location/station of issue.

IN every case I had to reassert myself as the boss on more than one occasion. That I was hired to come in and fix the problems, that I had the authority to decide how to do that.

I suspect that this is a closer parallel to the issue with the broncos thatn many here want to believe.

The broncos were broken and he was hired to make them right again. Can anyone logically dispute that?

Had he been hired after mike retired and everything was running smoothly then I could almost understand that he may not have to remind folks he is the boss.

I have no problem with Josh leading like that in the beginning. If he is still running the team in that fashion, leading in that fashion, two years from now then there is a problem.

Either with his leadership, or with his decisions on who he brought in, or his direction overall.

But for now, I don't see it as a problem at all.

dogfish
02-28-2010, 01:18 AM

so, you were a big shot consultant, huh?

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9544/bobandbob.jpg (http://img21.imageshack.us/i/bobandbob.jpg/)

which one were you, bob or bob?

rcsodak
02-28-2010, 01:38 AM

Many a HC/FO dude on Sirius NFL have commented on denver last year.

Most say that being in his very first year as a head coach, AND being of the age that he is, that they understood his demeanor with his players.

Also, look at the players that he brought over from NE and/or FA's. None of them had any problem with him.

Seems to me, the only ones having a problem with him were the coddled players from Shanny's regime.

Right or wrong, EVERY player has to buck up to the HC, like him or not.

If you start mouthing off at the job, and/or become petulant in regards to your boss, you're more than likely looking for a new place of employment.

These people are LUCKY to be making the money they do, and the job security they have, when tens of millions are currently unemployed.

As far as this comment of McD's goes, tho, I'm wondering if it isn't to make Shanny think he's gonna have to come up with some better picks in order to get his primadonna's back. :confused: