PDA

View Full Version : Iupati on Defense?

WARHORSE
02-27-2010, 01:34 PM
INDIANAPOLIS — He's the best guard in the NFL draft. And he has been working out at tackle. But he would really like to play defense.

Meet Mike Iupati, a 6-5, 331-pound hulk who seemingly could line up at any position on the line on either side of the ball and bust your chops. Really bust 'em.
"I really love defense. That's my favorite passion of the game," the Idaho offensive lineman said. "I know I'm physical enough to hold up two gaps and take on double-teams. I always pushed my coach to make me a defensive player because I am pretty good at it, but they needed me on offense."

Whichever team drafts Iupati — he's expected to go in the middle of the first round — will get a player with an easy-going demeanor off the field but with a nasty DNA on it. He smiled frequently and spoke softly during an interview at the NFL Scouting Combine on Thursday. But listen to his game plan.

"When it comes to football, I like to destroy a lot of people," he said. "It's fun."
Iupati's road to the NFL has taken some unusual turns. A native of American Samoa, he came to the U.S. when he was 14 because his parents knew he and his siblings would have a better opportunity in this country. For a year, the family stayed in a garage at his aunt's house — living from one paycheck to the next.

Iupati played football at Western High School in Anaheim, Calif., but struggled in the classroom — English was his second language — and didn't meet the NCAA academic requirements. He considered attending Cerritos College, a junior college in Norwalk, Calif., and, in fact, was attending a barbecue there one night when a recruiter from Idaho stopped by and spotted him.

The recruiter offered to make Iupati a Proposition 48 student at Idaho. At first, Iupati resisted because he didn't want his parents taking out a loan for college. But he finally relented and wound up becoming one of the best offensive linemen in the country (last season, he was one of three finalists for the Outland Trophy, which went to Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh).

"He's a really fine person. Kind of an easy-going, gentle giant," and AFC college scouting director told Sporting News. "That's a guy who could solidify himself (at the Combine). Not that he hasn't helped himself already."

Iupati, who will have his Combine workout Saturday at Lucas Oil Stadium, said, "I'm hoping to run a great 40, bench 30 reps (in the 225-pound bench press) and show them how quick I am for how big I am. I know they really like me and respect me, so I want to kind of add icing to the top."
Although he played left guard throughout his career at Idaho, Iupati was moved to right guard in the Senior Bowl. He even played some snaps at right tackle during practice. He believes versatility will only make him more valuable.

That's one reason Iupati has been working out with Pro Football Hall of Fame tackle Jackie Slater in Irvine, Calif. Slater has been focusing on Iupati's technique at left tackle — just in case an NFL team wants him to play there.
"I think it's pretty good to be the best guard," Iupati said, " but being versatile will mean a great deal and hopefully move me up the draft boards.

"Whatever team picks me, and wherever they want me to play, I will definitely give them 110 percent and be the best at that position."
Iupati described his family as being "well off" when it lived in Samoa. The family owned a house and some land, his father was the top-paid mechanic at his company, and his mother helped at a relative's restaurant.

Because Iupati appreciates what his father and mother did for him by moving to the U.S., he's planning on repaying them after he signs his first NFL contract.

"They made a big sacrifice, and I'm thankful for that," he said. "My parents want to go back to Samoa, and I want to take care of their dreams. Having a house built there for them would be the biggest thing I'd want to do for them.

If some teams try to work him out through some DT drills, and he does even fairly well, hes my pick. Since we are looking for versatile players, he can play anywhere along the Oline pretty much, and if he can play at NT.......bam.

Everyone will say....no, no, no.......but have you seen this guy use his hands? He has a heavy downstairs to him, and long powerful arms which allow him to torque people off their feet. Most men are top heavy, those that are heavier downstairs than upstairs have an advantage.

(See: George St. Pierre....theres a reason why hes the only guy to be able to bring down the best mma fighters in the world who excel at defensing the takedown)

He can get stronger, and if this guy can hold up at the poa while keeping two linemen occupied?

Makes him a very valuable player imo.:coffee:

Ravage!!!
02-27-2010, 01:38 PM
The pay is better at LT.. he better work for that

SoCalImport
02-27-2010, 01:54 PM
I wouldn't be upset at all if We took him at 11.
If He gets enough press and impresses enough scouts as an OT prospect then we might not have that chance.

broncobryce
02-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Defense? LMAO. I think he just wants teams to know he's got a nasty streak. Why would you want to change positions once you make it to the NFL?

silkamilkamonico
02-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Defense? LMAO. I think he just wants teams to know he's got a nasty streak. Why would you want to change positions once you make it to the NFL?

How would that affect his draft status I wonder. From almost a sure thing to a project...The NFL doesn't seem to learn with that.

SoCalImport
02-27-2010, 02:19 PM
I'm sure someone will point out that Jim Kelly was a LB in college.

broncobryce
02-27-2010, 02:29 PM
And wasn't LT a linebacker for years with the Giants?

WARHORSE
02-27-2010, 07:14 PM

Not change their positions. Strenthen them......as a versatile player.

I think its smart as hell saying what he said.

If he gets a team to look at him a little as a DT, then he simply has to show 'potential'.

Cause if a team thinks to itself, 'whoa. I think this guy may be able to play DT a little with some coaching........' then it makes his draft status go up.

If a team thinks he can play a few downs on defense at DT, like at the goaline or in a rotation, then all of a sudden you have a guy that can kill at guard, kill at center, play and potentially kill at LT, and spot duty at DT.

That would be a very valuable player.

dogfish
02-27-2010, 07:51 PM
i wanna draft him as a fullback. . . .

Lonestar
02-27-2010, 09:12 PM

I suspect that he would not hesitate to come in on goaline situations if they wanted him to.

He is a pretty big kid.

The only thing that bothers me about him is the talk at him at OT that can do nothing but raise his value.

I have been wanting this kid for OLG since I first saw him play.

He was a man among boys in college.

I would not hesitate to drop a choice on him no matter what position we go at. There was a real stud Center that had 39 plus reps @225.. Do not remember if it was 39 or 45. But either is really impressive.

Have not seen the rest of his stats yet as I got called away, will watch it later.

Carl
02-28-2010, 01:09 AM
I would not hesitate to drop a choice on him no matter what position we go at. There was a real stud Center that had 39 plus reps @225.. Do not remember if it was 39 or 45. But either is really impressive.

Have not seen the rest of his stats yet as I got called away, will watch it later.

The Center had 45 reps. 39 reps is amazing. 45 is unheard of. Literally. Ive never even heard of anyone busting out more than 38. Tied for most ever and it looked like he could have done a few more. Mitch Petrus was his name. He pulled his groin before his day was out tho.... Not that that matters anymore. He was projected to go in the 6th round before he did the whole bench press god thing. Im sure his stock has shot way up by now.

Lonestar
02-28-2010, 06:03 AM
Thanks I had to go back and look at it to see that name.

I also noted another guard I think he was from ND name was Olsen he was also a stud at the bench press more than Iupati by 6 or 7.

Looks like there is going to be lots of. OLINE guys in the draft.

While I'd prefer getting the best it looks like several of these guys are going in the top 10 mostly OT's

The one guy that was very impressive in all of the athletic stuff was interviewed at the desk and would have lost a debate with a box of rocks.

Glossed over the TE's as I do not believe they are on the shopping list this year.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel