PDA

View Full Version : Broncos signed FB Cecil Sapp

BOSSHOGG30
03-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Broncos agreed to terms with FB Cecil Sapp.

The Chiefs and Dolphins showed interest in Sapp, but it was mild. The Colorado native entered 2007 as a deep fantasy sleeper, but wound up with only 18 carries and 14 receptions. We wouldn't expect much more this year.
Source: Profootballtalk.com

lex
03-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Yay.

JONtheBRONCO
03-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Good. I've always liked Sapp.

BOSSHOGG30
03-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Guess Owen Schmitt is out of the question as well as our dream for a true blocking full back.

Rex
03-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Guess Owen Schmitt is out of the question as well as our dream for a true blocking full back.

Yes. Apparently the undersized, too slow for half back version must continue to do.

BroncoJoe
03-20-2008, 01:44 PM
How does Sapp compare with Griffith (size, girth, speed, etc.)?

Rex
03-20-2008, 01:45 PM

:shocked:

You left out length!

BroncoJoe
03-20-2008, 01:49 PM

You left out length!

LOL - I'm sure BOSS is working on my request as we speak.

shank
03-20-2008, 01:52 PM

You left out length!

girth is more important :laugh:

as much as i like sapp, i am unhappy because it all but kills many of our hopes for a real FB in the draft. owen schmitt in the 3rd or if he drops to the 4th would be so good! hell, using one of our 7ths on cox would actually UPGRADE the position as far as i'm concerned... in the 7th round! a real fullback would help our redzone and tough yardage woes

BOSSHOGG30
03-20-2008, 02:11 PM

Size helps, but I think being a true blocking fullback requires a certain mind set. Some of the best full backs play the game as if someone hit their mother with a two by four.

Stargazer
03-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Size helps, but I think being a true blocking fullback requires a certain mind set. Some of the best full backs play the game as if someone hit their mother with a two by four.

Agree. I thought finally this might be the year Denver grabs a true FB.

Italianmobstr7
03-20-2008, 02:24 PM
I like Sapp, but hopefully this won't deter us from drafting a big bruising fullback.

Ziggy
03-20-2008, 02:25 PM

I hope not. I haven't heard the numbers on Cecil's contract yet. I'm holding out hope that he signed for close to the veteran minimum, which would justify the contract for a special teamer and backup fullback. Shanny has always been a big believer in depth, and Cecil is a decent special teams player.

I'm a bit new here and haven't been through all the posts yet, but if this link hasn't been posted and you're a fan of Owen's, check this out:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rRc8XDHxP9c

G_Money
03-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Sapp is...fine. But he's not a true FB. I LIKE him, and was a supporter of getting him more carries, but he's not a smash-mouth blocker.

I'd love Schmitt, but my guess is he goes to high. I'm looking at a 7th/UDFA player like Dionte Johnson. Pro attitude, strictly a blocker not a runner, killed it for a major program, under the radar, pro football lines from father and god-father...

I still think we'll add one. There are several decent FBs in this draft.

Unfortunately it's just not likely to be Schmitt.

~G

Requiem / The Dagda
03-20-2008, 03:26 PM
Unless Denver drops their two and sometimes three tight end sets, you'll never see a priority for a true blocking fullback here.

NameUsedBefore
03-20-2008, 03:28 PM

You left out length!

Size doesn't matter!!!

*runs out of the topic screaming*

TimBuff10
03-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Well at least they are giving the nod to players with a local following. Now its time to get Dizon on the team to backup the LBers.

dogfish
03-20-2008, 03:51 PM
i'm glad to see sapp back-- i've always liked his attitude, and there's always room for guys with versatility and special teams experience. . . i will continue to hold out hope of adding a real snotknocker until they pry it from my cold dead fingers-- a few hours after the draft is over, most likely. . . .

Simple Jaded
03-20-2008, 05:19 PM
i'm glad to see sapp back-- i've always liked his attitude, and there's always room for guys with versatility and special teams experience. . . i will continue to hold out hope of adding a real snotknocker until they pry it from my cold dead fingers-- a few hours after the draft is over, most likely. . . .

I'd like to think that Schmitt is still on the Broncos board, but I think we all know that he never really was......he's just got way too much going for him. Size, speed, strength, ability and attitude, that's a combination the Broncos just don't have any use for.

I really like Sapp, and I'm glad he's back, but unfortunately, I think Denver intends on him being the starting FB for a long time (Which is noteworthy considering Shanahan has apparently stated that Mike Bell is a Pro Bowl FB in the waiting).

The System is the real talent in Denver, not the players.

Having said that, like you, I'm keeping the dream alive til the very last second (Just like I do with every draft)......

lex
03-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Schmitt would have been nice but he goes too high. Id rather have Cox with a 7th round pick. He would have enormous value there. I know Schmitt is a cult hero and all and I like him too but Cox would be ok with me.

Im not a big fan of Sapp nor do I really see the appeal. I guess I kind of feel like having him on the roster makes as much sense as having BVP on the roster.

Simple Jaded
03-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Schmitt would have been nice but he goes too high. Id rather have Cox with a 7th round pick. He would have enormous value there. I know Schmitt is a cult hero and all and I like him too but Cox would be ok with me.

Im not a big fan of Sapp nor do I really see the appeal. I guess I kind of feel like having him on the roster makes as much sense as having BVP on the roster.

BVP would be a better RB than a QB, while Sapp would be a better QB than BVP......

TXBRONC
03-20-2008, 08:49 PM
BVP would be a better RB than a QB, while Sapp would be a better QB than BVP......

My four-year-old son would be a better quarterback than BVP, heck for that matter both of my daughters would be better quarterbacks.

Dean
03-20-2008, 08:51 PM

That was HARSH. . . funny. . . true, but harsh. :laugh:

DenverBronkHoes
03-20-2008, 09:45 PM
Show Me...........................

KYLE JOHNSON

DenverBronkHoes
03-20-2008, 09:46 PM
My four-year-old son would be a better quarterback than BVP, heck for that matter both of my daughters would be better quarterbacks.

maybe... but he can take down more beers AND act a fool on National TV... and nobody's kid is doing that!

lex
03-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Show Me...........................

KYLE JOHNSON

It works better if your fullback is more physical than your runnings or receivers.