PDA

View Full Version : Broncos add more power to offseason workouts

Denver Native (Carol)
02-26-2010, 01:51 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14473865

INDIANAPOLIS — Acknowledging their habitual late-season fades may have a physical explanation, the Broncos will alter their offseason conditioning program.

"We're going to work hard on power and those type of lifts," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said Thursday. "Power and strength. The power aspect of it, we're going to work mass with some of our bigger guys. The first six games of the season, we ran the ball and stopped the run."

The Broncos averaged 132.7 rushing yards and surrendered just 82.0 yards in their 6-0 start last season. But they rushed for just 104.0 yards while allowing 156.7 yards on the ground during their 2-8 finish.

The fast starts/sluggish finishes also were common in the Mike Shanahan era.

The Broncos missed the playoffs the past four seasons despite starting 3-0 in 2008, 2-0 in 2007 and 7-2 in 2006.

The players will begin their offseason program next month.

T.K.O.
02-26-2010, 02:09 PM
whatever it takes josh...please don't make me go through another "meltdown" i cant take it anymore !!!!!:mad:;)

WARHORSE
02-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Thats really exciting news to me.

Did they not do this before?

Im wondering if we were training the guys to keep speed while adding power before.

Stronger in the legs is huge.

Stronger in the core is huge.

Stronger in the hands is mandatory.

Power lifting brings your entire body to a higher level strengthwise.

Id really love to see our trench players manhandling some people.:salute:

Lonestar
02-26-2010, 02:34 PM
I still firmly believe that we need more BEEF up front on both sides.

When your playing teams that have 340+ OGs someone at 300 is going to beat most of the time.

When you are a 295 OG someone at 330+ is going go past/thru/over you like shat thru a goose.

We need to get bigger in the middle on both sides of the LOS and then beef up in the weight room.

IMHO

Lets hope we can do both.

WARHORSE
02-26-2010, 02:38 PM
I still firmly believe that we need more BEEF up front on both sides.

When your playing teams that have 340+ OGs someone at 300 is going to beat most of the time.

When you are a 295 OG someone at 330+ is going go past/thru/over you like shat thru a goose.

We need to get bigger in the middle on both sides of the LOS and then beef up in the weight room.

IMHO

Lets hope we can do both.

Man, Id love to see CLADY with more beef on his legs and upper body.

With his feet...........man.......can anyone say DOMINATION?

Denver Native (Carol)
02-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Thats really exciting news to me.

Did they not do this before?

Im wondering if we were training the guys to keep speed while adding power before.

Stronger in the legs is huge.

Stronger in the core is huge.

Stronger in the hands is mandatory.

Power lifting brings your entire body to a higher level strengthwise.

Id really love to see our trench players manhandling some people.:salute:

I found the following article, has no date, but if Tuten developed it, as the site says, I would think they have been doing this. Maybe not to the extent that Coach McD wants?????

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md3.htm

The Denver Broncos speed and endurance program was developed by the Denver Broncos strength staff to help improve our overall team speed. This is the explanation of the Rich Tuten's Denver Bronco Speed and endurance program.

With MetabolicDiet.com & Bodybuilding.com you are privy to information that nobody else has. This is the explanation of the Rich Tuten's Denver Bronco Speed and Endurance Program exactly as it appears in their players training manual.

The Denver Broncos Speed and Endurance Program was developed by the Denver Broncos Strength Staff to help improve our overall team speed. Individual improvement is based on the trainee's intensity and consistency.

The number one question we get asked is, "Can I improve my speed"? If you decide to follow this program, work hard and consistent every workout, then the answer is yes, your speed can be improved.

There are a few key ingredients that will help you run faster. A speed development program must include strength/power training, flexibility exercises, endurance/conditioning program, plyometrics/bounding drills, nutritional guidelines to follow, and, of course, form running and speed drills. Within this program we will discuss how to develop all these important ingredients.

The Ingredients To Running Faster!

Developing leg strength and power is by far the most important ingredient in developing speed. Without developing explosive power, fast muscle contraction, or improper stride quickness and stride length can cause many trainees to fail when training to improve running speed. Before you start your training you need to understand that there are many speed-developing programs, and you may find the best one for you, but what it really comes down to is hard work and consistency. For example, a coach can design the best plan possible for the big game, but if the players don't execute it the way it's planned, it won't work!

Improved conditioning using aerobic training, such as distance running, has little effect on 40-yard dash times. A high-anaerobic conditioning level, lox's 40-yard dashes at 90% intensity with 20 seconds rest between each will, however, allow you to make repeated sprints with little drop off. Being overweight and having too much body fat affects sprinting by adding weight that must be moved at high speeds.

For the development of strength, each person has a "workout max" or an ideal exercise level needed to provide strength. For example, if your "workout max" to improve strength in the hamstring muscle is five repetitions using 150 pounds on the hamstring curl machine, using less than 150 pounds for five repetitions is too light and non-productive terms of strength development.

Using more than 150 pounds causes the muscles to work beyond the "workout max" and would result in the greatest strength gains. For the greatest strength gains, you need to train between 75 to 95% of your strength level for each exercise. In order for the muscles to develop properly, they must be exercised with a high intensity of resistance. In other words, the higher the resistance, the greater results of an exercise program. This is accomplished by increasing the resistance used, the number of repetitions in a set, the speed of the repetitions, and the amount of rest between the sets.

One other method of improving explosive strength and power is the use of Plyometrics. Plyometrics is an excellent method of developing both strength and power in the muscles needed for sprinting. Many athletes have the strength, but do not have the necessary power to sprint a fast 40-yard dash. Plyometric training is designed to help develop the strength and power to improve speed.

AND

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md8.htm

Coach Tuten provides you with the flexibility development program that he has implemented with the Denver Broncos. Learn how to stretch like the Denver Broncos.