PDA

View Full Version : Arizona drops 2014 Super Bowl bid; NYC now favorite

Denver Native (Carol)
02-26-2010, 12:32 PM
I posted this in Broncos Talk, as a little while ago, there was a discussion as to why the Broncos would never host a Super Bowl - i.e. no domed stadium, chance that weather will not be favorable. Since NYC now seems the favorite for Super Bowl 2014, am I missing something? I don't recall any domed stadium in NYC. I just checked the new Meadowlands Stadium, and it will be an open air stadium. What am I missing? On Meadowlands Stadium -Will the stadium have a dome? No, it will be an open air stadium http://www.newmeadowlandsstadium.com/3_about_faqs04.php

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/02/26/arizona-drops-2014-super-bowl-bid-nyc-now-favorite/

INDIANAPOLIS – With the Arizona Super Bowl Host Committee deciding not to submit a bid to host Super Bowl XLVIII, New York City is now the clear favorite to host the game, a source close to the situation said at the NFL Scouting Combine on Friday.

While Tampa and South Florida remain in the running for the 2014 game, the source said New York remains the leading contender. April 1 is the deadline to submit a bid.

On Thursday, Arizona’s six-member host committee announced it would try for a 2015 Super Bowl instead. In a release, committee head Mike Kennedy stated the financial burdens facing the state’s business and political community as the main reason for passing on the 2014 game.

Super Bowls typically are awarded at the league’s spring meeting; this year it is in Dallas from May 24-26. Dallas hosts the Super Bowl in 2011, Indianapolis in 2012 and New Orleans in 2013.

Lonestar
02-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Domes are best in the northern climates. BUT frankly NYC is heads and a above more exciting for visitors than DEN is.

It is the media capitol of the world, there are probably 25 times more Hotel rooms in the city than in DEN. there is more entertainment in NYC.

NYC has mass transit like no other.

The weather would suck in either place.

IIRC the last two weeks of JAN and first two in FEB are the coldest in DEN. I also seem to remember there were consecutive cold stream days in DEN not to long ago of like 35 days never reaching 20 degrees during that time frame.

I just never see DEN hosting a Superbowl, just like the lack of respect for our players as noted in the HOF.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Domes are best in the northern climates. BUT frankly NYC is heads and a above more exciting for visitors than DEN is.

It is the media capitol of the world, there are probably 25 times more Hotel rooms in the city than in DEN. there is more entertainment in NYC.

NYC has mass transit like no other.

The weather would suck in either place.

IIRC the last two weeks of JAN and first two in FEB are the coldest in DEN. I also seem to remember there were consecutive cold stream days in DEN not to long ago of like 35 days never reaching 20 degrees during that time frame.

I just never see DEN hosting a Superbowl, just like the lack of respect for our players as noted in the HOF.

All I can say is that it has apparently been a LONG time since you have been back to Denver

Lonestar
02-26-2010, 03:00 PM
All I can say is that it has apparently been a LONG time since you have been back to Denver

No I've been back 5 or 6 times during that same time frame. The latest being 2 years ago this of year. It was colder than hell, and I was in charge of setting up some 60 rooms for our VB Club. it was played at the convention center and the closest rooms I could get reserving them 6 months out was out by old Stapleton. 6 mile from downtown.

Car rentals during that time frame would be next to impossible as it is dead center ski season when most of the cars are in steamboat vail or aspen.

Car rental companies are not going to beef up their fleet for a two week period. I worked for Avis in DEN for 8 years and know this for a fact.

Hotel rooms sure there are IF you look all over town. Nothing like NYC. here they have tens of thousands in Manhattan alone not even counting thousands of them across the river near where the game would be played.

They move millions of folks on their mass transit daily.

PLus other than skiing now one from other cities want to come to DEN. Most folks from the east coast still think of it as a cow town, with no culture. An airport to get them to the mountains.

Are you telling me that during stock show week it has warmed up?

Denver Native (Carol)
02-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Are you telling me that during stock show week it has warmed up?

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/bou/include/showProduct.php?product=summary.txt

...DENVER'S JANUARY 2010 WAS VERY DRY AND A LITTLE WARMER THAN NORMAL...

GEM
02-26-2010, 03:39 PM
We want sun....waaaaa waaaaa! Bunch of ..........! Let's have a freaking ICE GAME.

I love football in snow and cold.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-26-2010, 03:43 PM
We want sun....waaaaa waaaaa! Bunch of ..........! Let's have a freaking ICE GAME.

I love football in snow and cold.

That is why it is very confusing that NYC is the front runner for 2014, but it has been stated that there will never will be a Super Bowl in Denver :confused:

Lonestar
02-26-2010, 04:34 PM
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/bou/include/showProduct.php?product=summary.txt

...DENVER'S JANUARY 2010 WAS VERY DRY AND A LITTLE WARMER THAN NORMAL...

ANUARY 2009 TEMPERATURE STATISTICS TURNED OUT TO BE A NON-HEADLINE.
THE MONTH FINISHED WITH AN AVERAGE TEMPERATURE OF 30.4 DEGREES WHICH
IS 1.2 DEGREES ABOVE THE 29.2 NORMAL. TEMPERATURES RANGED FROM A HIGH
OF 58 DEGREES DOWN TO A LOW OF A NON-RECORD -16 DEGREES. IN FACT...
THERE WERE NO TEMPERATURE RECORDS SET OR TIED DURING JANUARY 2010. ALL
31 DAYS HAD LOW TEMPERATURES AT OR BELOW FREEZING AND 3 DAYS HAD MINIMUM
TEMPERATURES BELOW ZERO. TWO DAYS HAD HIGH MERCURY READINGS AT OR BELOW
FREEZING.

I rest my case.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Damn JR - it's nothing but a crap shoot - NYC has been buried in snow so far this year :tsk: No one knows what the weather will be here in 2014 or NYC when the Super Bowl will be played.

Lonestar
02-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Damn JR - it's nothing but a crap shoot - NYC has been buried in snow so far this year :tsk:

But NYC has lots of other things to do that DEN does not.

People want to go to NYC few want to go to DEN except to ski.

NYC has all the media and glitz.

I personally would not go to NYC Except to fly to Europe.

I lived in Upstate NY for a couple of years and HAD to got to the city for meetings I hated every minute of it.

I'd rather be kicked in the groin than go back there. BUT most folks that have not been there have it on their wish list of places to go.

OrangeHoof
02-26-2010, 04:49 PM
ANUARY 2009 TEMPERATURE STATISTICS TURNED OUT TO BE A NON-HEADLINE.
THE MONTH FINISHED WITH AN AVERAGE TEMPERATURE OF 30.4 DEGREES WHICH
IS 1.2 DEGREES ABOVE THE 29.2 NORMAL. TEMPERATURES RANGED FROM A HIGH
OF 58 DEGREES DOWN TO A LOW OF A NON-RECORD -16 DEGREES. IN FACT...
THERE WERE NO TEMPERATURE RECORDS SET OR TIED DURING JANUARY 2010. ALL
31 DAYS HAD LOW TEMPERATURES AT OR BELOW FREEZING AND 3 DAYS HAD MINIMUM
TEMPERATURES BELOW ZERO. TWO DAYS HAD HIGH MERCURY READINGS AT OR BELOW
FREEZING.

I rest my case.

They don't play the Super Bowl in January any more. They play it in early February. Personally, if NYC gets it, I hope the weather for the game is just like it was in NYC yesterday.

I'd want 10-foot snowdrifts. I'd want to see Joe Buck's teeth chatter and his hairpiece fly away. I'd want the weather to be so inclement that the NFL never gives the thought of a Super Bowl in New York further credence.

Lonestar
02-26-2010, 04:52 PM
They don't play the Super Bowl in January any more. They play it in early February. Personally, if NYC gets it, I hope the weather for the game is just like it was in NYC yesterday.

I'd want 10-foot snowdrifts. I'd want to see Joe Buck's teeth chatter and his hairpiece fly away. I'd want the weather to be so inclement that the NFL never gives the thought of a Super Bowl in New York further credence.

The difference in weather from the last sunday in January to the first sunday in Feb is insignificant.

But good try.

GEM
02-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Damn JR - it's nothing but a crap shoot - NYC has been buried in snow so far this year :tsk: No one knows what the weather will be here in 2014 or NYC when the Super Bowl will be played.

Our weather in Denver has been nowhere near how bad NYC has been. We have not been buried in by snow or even close to that once. Our snow storms come in March. Colorado is much more mild that it used to be unless you get above the foothills and last time I checked Invesco is only a Mile High. :D

I'd much rather spend a weekend up in Vail or snowboarding down Mary Jane than walking the streets of urination filled NYC, but hey, that's just me. :shrugs:

GEM
02-26-2010, 04:59 PM
The difference in weather from the last sunday in January to the first sunday in Feb is insignificant.

But good try.

All you have to do is tune into the weather channel to tell that NYC's winter has been more brutal than CO. We haven't been snowed in once. We dealt with frigid cold back in December.

GEM
02-26-2010, 05:01 PM
But NYC has lots of other things to do that DEN does not.

People want to go to NYC few want to go to DEN except to ski.

NYC has all the media and glitz.

I personally would not go to NYC Except to fly to Europe.

I lived in Upstate NY for a couple of years and HAD to got to the city for meetings I hated every minute of it.

I'd rather be kicked in the groin than go back there. BUT most folks that have not been there have it on their wish list of places to go.

Never been there and not interested in going there. I guess I'm just a Colorado girl at heart. Denver is big city enough with all the extracurricular activities that interest me. I effing love this state.

Lonestar
02-26-2010, 05:03 PM
All you have to do is tune into the weather channel to tell that NYC's winter has been more brutal than CO. We haven't been snowed in once. We dealt with frigid cold back in December.

HEy I'm just the messenger NYC will get it over DEN regardless of the weather averages.

I love DEN would move back in a heart beat I hate NYC.

The NFL is looking at where they can make the most money nothing more or less.

Broncolingus
02-26-2010, 05:03 PM
...I'd much rather spend a weekend up in Vail or snowboarding down Mary Jane than walking the streets of urination filled NYC...

:D

(...glorious...)

GEM
02-26-2010, 05:05 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/nicole0702/2739915555.jpg

That pic was after the last game of the season vs. Minnesota. We froze our ever lovin asses off in the upper deck, the snow looked beautiful as the night fell, our feet were soggy friggen wet and it was the funnest game I've ever been to. :rockon:

Denver Native (Carol)
02-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Never been there and not interested in going there. I guess I'm just a Colorado girl at heart. Denver is big city enough with all the extracurricular activities that interest me. I effing love this state.

You and me girl :salute: I have no desire to ever live anywhere else

Broncolingus
02-26-2010, 05:08 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/nicole0702/2739915555.jpg

That pic was after the last game of the season vs. Minnesota. We froze our ever lovin asses off in the upper deck, the snow looked beautiful as the night fell, our feet were soggy friggen wet and it was the funnest game I've ever been to. :rockon:

That's not true...

...you have a little ass left.

GEM
02-26-2010, 05:09 PM
That's not true...

...you have a little ass left.

:laugh: I wasn't sure that night. We left the stadium and took the bus up Colfax to where we parked and I swear to goodness I had frostbite of the ass and toes. :laugh:

Broncolingus
02-26-2010, 05:14 PM
...I had frostbite of the ass...

http://www.fau.edu/freshmanadvising/images/thought_balloon_hmmmm_hg_clr.gif

Denver Native (Carol)
02-26-2010, 05:31 PM
If NYC does get the Super Bowl in 2014 - that definitely BLOWS UP the theory that the SB will only be played in a warm climate or domed stadium. Also, I am SURE that there is MUCH more to do in Denver & Colorado than there is in Indianapolis.

OrangeHoof
02-26-2010, 10:30 PM
I effing love this state.

:salute:

I'd give you five "high fives" for that one! :beer:

Shazam!
02-27-2010, 11:56 AM
NYC is a ****ing toilet. This place sucks. It'd be a ****ing mess for me. Traffic on the Cross Bronx Expwy will be tied up for 50 miles. On a regular weekend it's backed up 20.

Not only that but it'd be in NJ.

Lonestar
02-27-2010, 04:28 PM
NYC is a ****ing toilet. This place sucks. It'd be a ****ing mess for me. Traffic on the Cross Bronx Expwy will be tied up for 50 miles. On a regular weekend it's backed up 20.

Not only that but it'd be in NJ.

Now my wife has an apartment near the airports and loves the area she is in it is convenient to work and has a small ton feel to it. Small resturants and store nearby.

But overall I do not like the city as it is to hustle bustle and for the most part the folks are pushy shovie to big of a hurry and to many people.

Guess it is what you are used to.