PDA

View Full Version : Rams, Broncos interested in Fernando Bryant?

topscribe
03-19-2008, 06:26 PM
Veteran cornerback Fernando Bryant (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4675/), cut last month by the Detroit Lions (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/det/),
could soon be landing in a new city according to Profootballtalk.com.
According to a league source, Bryant is in discussions with several teams
and could agree to terms within the next 24 hours. Possible destinations
include the Denver Broncos (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/den/) and St. Louis Rams (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/stl/).

Bryant, 30, spent five years with the Jaguars and four with the Lions.

Source: Profootballtalk.com (http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/).

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Rams-Broncos-interested-in-Fernando-Bryant-?urn=nfl,72550

-----

I realize this is still in the rumor stage, but if it is true, why would the
Broncos be interested in a CB?

Could all the buzz around trades involving Foxy be true? Hmmm . . .

-----

SR
03-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Depth. Competition at camp. Putting the best players on the field.

Being a veteran, he probably wants a chance at starting and he knows he won't get that in Denver with Dre and Champ already there.

dogfish
03-19-2008, 07:17 PM
I realize this is still in the rumor stage, but if it is true, why would the
Broncos be interested in a CB?

Could all the buzz around trades involving Foxy be true? Hmmm . . .

-----

makes ya wonder, doesn't it? of course, foxworth and paymah are BOTH unrestricted free agents next year, so that could have something to do with it as well. . . i wish they would have spent the money to lock at least one of them into an extension rather than signing some of the scrubs we did, but oh well. . . .

Requiem / The Dagda
03-19-2008, 07:36 PM
I think Bryant might sign with the Patriots, because he has a chance to start next to Hobbs there. He has some injury concerns; but he's worth a signing if he comes cheap? Why the heck not. Also, I don't think we can keep Foxworth either. (BTW, he was just elected to the NFLPA Executive Board today!) Might as well trade him before he walks in FA anyways. We'll see. . .

TXBRONC
03-19-2008, 07:48 PM
makes ya wonder, doesn't it? of course, foxworth and paymah are BOTH unrestricted free agents next year, so that could have something to do with it as well. . . i wish they would have spent the money to lock at least one of them into an extension rather than signing some of the scrubs we did, but oh well. . . .

I have to agree it does make you wonder what this means for the likes of Foxworth and Paymah.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-19-2008, 09:24 PM
This is peculiar...I hope it means Bly goes. Sorry...it's how I feel. Maybe just an insurance policy IN CASE paymah and Foxxy don't resign.

TXBRONC
03-19-2008, 10:05 PM
This is peculiar...I hope it means Bly goes. Sorry...it's how I feel. Maybe just an insurance policy IN CASE paymah and Foxxy don't resign.

No need to feel sorry, if that's the way you feel then so be. But SA with as much money as we paid to bring Bly in there is really no chance that Bly is out of here.

dogfish
03-19-2008, 10:08 PM

you want to get rid of him and replace him with a corner who isn't as good?

:confused:

SmilinAssasSin27
03-19-2008, 10:17 PM
you want to get rid of him and replace him with a corner who isn't as good?

:confused:

It depends on what ya mean by "isn't as good". Bly can make plays, yes. But Bly also gets burnt on a regular basis. When we won SBs, we had CBs who were solid, but also player safer than Bly...that and Bryant would likely be a lot cheaper...and we have the 2 young bux as well.

BeefStew25
03-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Fernando would be a good backup if Foxy gets traded.

Drill-N-Fill
03-19-2008, 10:31 PM
It depends on what ya mean by "isn't as good". Bly can make plays, yes. But Bly also gets burnt on a regular basis. When we won SBs, we had CBs who were solid, but also player safer than Bly...that and Bryant would likely be a lot cheaper...and we have the 2 young bux as well.

Lets see the QB have less than 8 seconds to throw before getting rid of Bly for a player to provide depth as a 5th corner.

dogfish
03-19-2008, 10:38 PM

what kinda doubletalk is that? by "isn't as good" i mean ISN'T AS GOOD. . . . :lol:

i thought that was pretty straight forward. . . .

bryant isn't any more physical than bly, and he's probably less instinctive-- he also has NO ball skills (a grand total of 7 career interceptions to bly's 38). . . and he's two months older. . .

essentially, the ONLY area where he's better than bly is that he would potentially be cheaprer-- goes well with our current theme of saving money by bringing in mostly marginal players, but losing turnovers while not improving our coverage any certainly doesn't make the team better on the field. . . if the team doesn't want to pay bly, they shouldn't have traded for him and then signed him to a big contract extension. . . they knew what they were getting at the time, and he was pretty much as advertised-- a solid man corner who breaks on the ball aggressively and sometimes pays for it. . . he showed up big for us when champ went down, and he would be better if we actually had some pass rush. . . it's not that i think having him is the be-all-end-all by any means, and i won't cry if he moves on. . . but i'm damn tired of wasting big signing bonuses on vets only to flush most of it down the toilet a year or two later-- it's a friggin' stupid way to manage your salary cap. . .

Astrass
03-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Bly is the 2nd best CB we have and in the top ten in the league.

Bryant would be a good replacement for Foxy.

lex
03-19-2008, 11:16 PM

Plus Bly always likes to leave blame at the feet of others. For as many times as that dude was burnt, not once did he ever accept responsibility. He really likes to deflect blame away from himself. Not exactly good for morale...but he and Champ (mainly Champ) seem to have Shanahans ear. I ust dont like him...I dont like Henry either.

BeefStew25
03-19-2008, 11:17 PM
The dude opposite Champ is always going to be hated by you clowns.

fcspikeit
03-20-2008, 03:18 AM
what kinda doubletalk is that? by "isn't as good" i mean ISN'T AS GOOD. . . . :lol:

i thought that was pretty straight forward. . . .

bryant isn't any more physical than bly, and he's probably less instinctive-- he also has NO ball skills (a grand total of 7 career interceptions to bly's 38). . . and he's two months older. . .

essentially, the ONLY area where he's better than bly is that he would potentially be cheaprer-- goes well with our current theme of saving money by bringing in mostly marginal players, but losing turnovers while not improving our coverage any certainly doesn't make the team better on the field. . . if the team doesn't want to pay bly, they shouldn't have traded for him and then signed him to a big contract extension. . . they knew what they were getting at the time, and he was pretty much as advertised-- a solid man corner who breaks on the ball aggressively and sometimes pays for it. . . he showed up big for us when champ went down, and he would be better if we actually had some pass rush. . . it's not that i think having him is the be-all-end-all by any means, and i won't cry if he moves on. . . but i'm damn tired of wasting big signing bonuses on vets only to flush most of it down the toilet a year or two later-- it's a friggin' stupid way to manage your salary cap. . .

How many times did they throw at Champ last year compared to the previous year?

Bly wasn't that bad! Even his tackling isn't that bad compared to most CB's in the league. He is no Champ but he done his job.

If we can fix the D-line so that champ and Bly aren't being asked to play man all game long we will be fine at the CB position... With all our other needs, trying to upgrading the CB position doesn't make much sense to me...

TXBRONC
03-20-2008, 07:24 AM

I don't think Bly was burned that many more times than Bailey. Bly has weaknesses but so does every player at every position. If we had a consistent pass rush that would alleviate a lot the problems in the secondary.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-20-2008, 07:49 AM
The dude opposite Champ is always going to be hated by you clowns.

Noooo...I didn't hate Darrent. I don't hate Foxxy or Paymah. I hate Bly. I know we need a pass rush, granted. But we don't have one...and he knows that. Champ is a god on his side and doesn't need much/any help. Bly, w/ Safety help, is still in plenty of other teams' highlight reels. I don't see him as a fit cuz he bites too much to be the CB everyone is gonna go after due to their fear of Champ.

LRtagger
03-20-2008, 08:06 AM
Noooo...I didn't hate Darrent. I don't hate Foxxy or Paymah. I hate Bly. I know we need a pass rush, granted. But we don't have one...and he knows that. Champ is a god on his side and doesn't need much/any help. Bly, w/ Safety help, is still in plenty of other teams' highlight reels. I don't see him as a fit cuz he bites too much to be the CB everyone is gonna go after due to their fear of Champ.

Darrent used to get burnt constantly. He was the #1 reason Indy kicked our ass year after year

SmilinAssasSin27
03-20-2008, 08:16 AM
...and he was a rookie who was still learning and was cheap. What is Bly's excuse?

LRtagger
03-20-2008, 08:34 AM
...and he was a rookie who was still learning and was cheap. What is Bly's excuse?

New (terrible) defensive scheme, no pass rush, no overhead help (8 men in the box), etc. Remember, Champ didnt have a great year last year either.

I'll wait to see how he does this year before I condemn him.

pilfin
03-20-2008, 08:56 AM
I also think we need to give Bly another year before we pass judgement. Last year was a disaster for everyone involved. The scheme was terrible, and then fixed mid-season so that it .... was terrible. And when you say he had help from the safeties, I think that is stretching it a bit. Our safeties were cheating up most of the time because we couldn't stop the run. Any help they offered was minimal. Besides, Lynch is dog-slow and can't defend a pass to save his life, and the terrorist was starting for the first time.

lex
03-20-2008, 09:28 AM
New (terrible) defensive scheme, no pass rush, no overhead help (8 men in the box), etc. Remember, Champ didnt have a great year last year either.

I'll wait to see how he does this year before I condemn him.

Yeah, well the its not like there was a big pass rush when Williams was playing corner either. Thats why we took two DEs in the offseason after his last year.

BOSSHOGG30
03-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Darrent used to get burnt constantly. He was the #1 reason Indy kicked our ass year after year

Darrent had one bad game against the Colts... I think you are thinking of Roc Alexander and Lenny Walls.

Rex
03-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Darrent had one bad game against the Colts... I think you are thinking of Roc Alexander and Lenny Walls.

Darrent had more than "1 bad game" vs the Colts. A few big plays on special teams and a gift INT/TD overshadowed what was largely a mediocre job at CB. You know, hate to rag on the guy, but it is the truth.

turftoad
03-20-2008, 10:15 AM
BRYANT JOINS THE PATS
Posted by Mike Florio on March 20, 2008, 11:11 a.m.
The New England Patriots have begun the process of rebuilding a secondary depleted by free agency by signing cornerback Fernando Bryant.

A league source tells us that Bryant has signed a one-year deal with Pats.

Bryant also had an offer from the Broncos. He was cut last month by the Lions, and has spent nine years in the NFL.

LRtagger
03-20-2008, 10:22 AM

I know Roc and Lenny were terrible in the two playoff losses in back to back years...but I remember Darrent getting picked apart by them I thought in two other consecutive years. I know the game we lost in 06 to them was because he got torched all day. It seems like we play them every year now, its hard to remember.

I remember him getting dismantelled in 06 by Philip Rivers too. I dont think we would have won any more games last year had Darrent been at corner instead of Bly.

I would like to see how Bly does this year before I call him a bust.

Astrass
03-20-2008, 12:16 PM
You Bly bashers are just using him as a scape goat for the crappy year. Get over it. You realize we had a bad D line with no pass rush and you still put all the blame on Dre....how does that make sense? Also, I have seen nothing but a team player out of Bly.

lex
03-20-2008, 12:20 PM
You Bly bashers are just using him as a scape goat for the crappy year. Get over it. You realize we had a bad D line with no pass rush and you still put all the blame on Dre....how does that make sense? Also, I have seen nothing but a team player out of Bly.

What doesnt make sense is to take as many chances that Bly did knowing the Dline doesnt get pressure routinely. Its bad enough the QBs can wait for guys to get open but with Bly's risk taking it just makes it that much easier.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Aye, I figured he'd join the Patriots.

BOSSHOGG30
03-20-2008, 12:23 PM
I don't dislike Bly at all. I do wished he was a more willing tackler. Darrent Williams was also small, but the guy had enough heart to stop the run. I think Foxworth or Paymah deserve a shot as the #2 corner. Bly might be a better cover corner, but Foxworth and Paymah are improving. Paymah and Foxworth also play the run better.

fcspikeit
03-20-2008, 01:56 PM
What doesnt make sense is to take as many chances that Bly did knowing the Dline doesnt get pressure routinely. Its bad enough the QBs can wait for guys to get open but with Bly's risk taking it just makes it that much easier.

So why does champ get a free pass? what was his excuse? Everyone blames Bly for the overtime lose to the Pack but Champ got burned on the long ball too.. Both equaled the same results.

For the most part, I thought Bly was playing to lose. Hell, at times he was 10+ yards off the line. He got burned underneath way more then he did over the top as did Champ. Normally when corners are to egressive they get burned deep a lot. That wasn't the case. Bly only got beat twice that I can remember on the long ball..

Bly had a great year considering what we asked him to do... Not just that but teams were throwing at champ 5 times more then they were when we had D Will. That alone should tell us they respected Bly more then they did D. Will..

fcspikeit
03-20-2008, 02:06 PM
I don't dislike Bly at all. I do wished he was a more willing tackler. Darrent Williams was also small, but the guy had enough heart to stop the run. I think Foxworth or Paymah deserve a shot as the #2 corner. Bly might be a better cover corner, but Foxworth and Paymah are improving. Paymah and Foxworth also play the run better.

D. Will would try and tackle, I'll give him that. But he was 2 Ian Gold's away from a good tackler..

LT tourched him several times when he broke the record. D. Will had no idea how to seal the outside. He would under cut the ball carrier every time and let him get outside, completely taking the LB's out of the play. A few times he even blocked them inside because of his over pursuit.

How many times did Bly get beat around the corner? At least he would force the runner back in to those getting paid to make tackles or push the guy out of bounce..

Astrass
03-20-2008, 03:15 PM

I don't agree. The only risk he takes is turning his head to find the ball. That is fine by me.....more plays are made that way. EVERY DB gets burned. Most alot more then Dre does.

Even though we had horrible run D we did finish 7th against the pass, Dre had a lot to do with that....not only Champ. And no one should ever judge a DB's worth on his run support. If you get a DB like Champ who is active against the run that is an added bonus. Everyone else on D gets paid millions to stop the run....CB's get paid to stop the pass. Plus if you were a DB under 200 lbs you would think twice about getting in the way of a 230lb RB getting into 4th gear in the back field. Dive at his legs, do what ever you can but try your best not to get injured. I'd rather Dre give up a td then get injured for a year or what ever. Heck, sometimes I even wish Champ would kind of go easy on the run stopping once in awhile.....he takes a lot of heavy hits out there that the LB's should be absorbing....but we all know that won't happen.

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
03-20-2008, 03:29 PM
IF i remember correctly.

Darrent Williams only played against the Colts once in the regular season and once in the preseason.

thats all

so No darrent did not get burned game after game against the colts.

NameUsedBefore
03-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Karl Paymah > Dre Bly, and no I am not biased...

Astrass
03-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Karl Paymah > Dre Bly, and no I am not biased...

Just curious, how did you come to this conclusion? What did you base it on? The career NFL stats on Paymah? The extensive play time Paymah gets? Honestly I'd like to know since the conculsion isn't biased at all there has to be some grounds for deciding that.

BOSSHOGG30
03-20-2008, 03:50 PM
IF i remember correctly.

Darrent Williams only played against the Colts once in the regular season and once in the preseason.

thats all

so No darrent did not get burned game after game against the colts.

You are correct.

NameUsedBefore
03-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Just curious, how did you come to this conclusion? What did you base it on? The career NFL stats on Paymah? The extensive play time Paymah gets? Honestly I'd like to know since the conculsion isn't biased at all there has to be some grounds for deciding that.

I am biased.

But really, I think Paymah has the tools to be a solid corner. I've heard nothing but positives out of camps. He's athletically talented (I've read "fastest on the team" before), and he is tall (6'1", I believe). Under the tutelage of these two corners he could be a solid nickel or 2nd for us. In-game I've seen some great stuff from him, running stride-for-stride with some talented receivers (forget who they are, though >_>).

lex
03-20-2008, 04:12 PM
So why does champ get a free pass? what was his excuse? Everyone blames Bly for the overtime lose to the Pack but Champ got burned on the long ball too.. Both equaled the same results.

For the most part, I thought Bly was playing to lose. Hell, at times he was 10+ yards off the line. He got burned underneath way more then he did over the top as did Champ. Normally when corners are to egressive they get burned deep a lot. That wasn't the case. Bly only got beat twice that I can remember on the long ball..

Bly had a great year considering what we asked him to do... Not just that but teams were throwing at champ 5 times more then they were when we had D Will. That alone should tell us they respected Bly more then they did D. Will..

Champ gets a pass because he was trying to soldier on with a leg injury. That was his first game back after he injured his leg. Plus, a lot of times Champ was burned its because he had one eye in the backfield looking to come up and make a play on the run...whereas, Bly runs away from making the tackle.

Lonestar
03-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Manning torched our nickle and dime backs more often than not hitting the open inside slant all day because for the most part our CB were playing 5-10 yards off the LOS. Brandon Stokely got hired because of his torching DEN everytime we played them.

Astrass
03-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Champ gets a pass because he was trying to soldier on with a leg injury. That was his first game back after he injured his leg. Plus, a lot of times Champ was burned its because he had one eye in the backfield looking to come up and make a play on the run...whereas, Bly runs away from making the tackle.

Never seen him run away from a tackle.....do you happen to remember one game where he did that? I wanna look it up. Cause if he ran away from a tackle I may be mistaken about how I feel for him. Then again, if you can't think of 1 game.....

lex
03-20-2008, 06:10 PM
Never seen him run away from a tackle.....do you happen to remember one game where he did that? I wanna look it up. Cause if he ran away from a tackle I may be mistaken about how I feel for him. Then again, if you can't think of 1 game.....

Youre taking it way too literally. The point being that Champ is extremely aggressive and is a force against the run...he's not timid at all when it comes to sticking his nose in their and making a tackle...Dre Bly is a different story on the other hand. He asked why Champ gets a pass and Bly doesnt and I cited the injury and the fact that he is looking to contribute by making plays vs the run...neither of those were true for Bly.

Astrass
03-20-2008, 11:07 PM
Youre taking it way too literally. The point being that Champ is extremely aggressive and is a force against the run...he's not timid at all when it comes to sticking his nose in their and making a tackle...Dre Bly is a different story on the other hand. He asked why Champ gets a pass and Bly doesnt and I cited the injury and the fact that he is looking to contribute by making plays vs the run...neither of those were true for Bly.

Your comparing Bly to possibly the best corner to ever play the game. And I remember one game where Dre hurt his arm pretty bad yet he didn't leave the game and played thru the injury with just one arm. If I recall correctly that was the game Champ had to sit out.

fcspikeit
03-20-2008, 11:29 PM

Bly played half the Pitt game with 1 arm... After that game there was question on whether he would start the next game. So yes he played hurt..

Wasn't you just criticizing Bly for being to aggressive while trying to make plays? :confused: Yet it's OK for Champ to get beat while trying to make plays? WOW! That makes a lot of sense :lol:

Bly had 51 tackles. That's pretty good for a CB.. Bly is not in the same league as Champ. But as far as corners go, he is closer to the top in the NFL then he is the bottom..

underrated29
03-20-2008, 11:41 PM
didnt see it posted yet, but the patriots signed this guy to a 1 year contract.

honz
03-21-2008, 12:59 AM
Even Champ was getting burned last year...our defense was a joke. It is hard to cover recievers when they have 15 seconds to get open. Bly is a very good cover corner...tackling, he is not so good at.

Stargazer
03-21-2008, 02:59 AM
Manning torched our nickle and dime backs more often than not hitting the open inside slant all day because for the most part our CB were playing 5-10 yards off the LOS. Brandon Stokely got hired because of his torching DEN everytime we played them.

So Manning tourched our secondary, and according to you, Denver signs their slot WR.:laugh:

lex
03-21-2008, 08:27 AM
Your comparing Bly to possibly the best corner to ever play the game. And I remember one game where Dre hurt his arm pretty bad yet he didn't leave the game and played thru the injury with just one arm. If I recall correctly that was the game Champ had to sit out.

No. Once again, someone asked why does Bailey get a pass. Thats the only reason I was talking about Champ. Youre right. Bly is nothing compared to Champ.

lex
03-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Bly played half the Pitt game with 1 arm... After that game there was question on whether he would start the next game. So yes he played hurt..

Wasn't you just criticizing Bly for being to aggressive while trying to make plays? :confused: Yet it's OK for Champ to get beat while trying to make plays? WOW! That makes a lot of sense :lol:

Bly had 51 tackles. That's pretty good for a CB.. Bly is not in the same league as Champ. But as far as corners go, he is closer to the top in the NFL then he is the bottom..

I didnt say that at all. You really need to brush up on your reading comprehension. I said that he was looking to make a play against the run...you see, because we had a little problem stopping the run last year...so it actually makes more sense for Champ to get caught looking into the backfield as a willing defender against the run than it does for Bly to routinely get beat biting on a pump fake knowing that with our lack of pressure, theres no reason for teams not to look downfield. Bly is looking to make a pick, Bailey is looking to make a tackle. Massive difference. Nice try though.

Dre Bly is a "me first" clown who unnecessarily exposes his team to risk for the sake of his own benefit. Dre Bly is a tired cliche. He's not good enough to have this "Im a playmaker, I make plays" personna. And he will throw any and everyone under the bus before he will step up and face the music when it comes to accepting responsibility.

fcspikeit
03-21-2008, 01:18 PM
I didnt say that at all. You really need to brush up on your reading comprehension. I said that he was looking to make a play against the run...you see, because we had a little problem stopping the run last year...so it actually makes more sense for Champ to get caught looking into the backfield as a willing defender against the run than it does for Bly to routinely get beat biting on a pump fake knowing that with our lack of pressure, theres no reason for teams not to look downfield. Bly is looking to make a pick, Bailey is looking to make a tackle. Massive difference. Nice try though.

Dre Bly is a "me first" clown who unnecessarily exposes his team to risk for the sake of his own benefit. Dre Bly is a tired cliche. He's not good enough to have this "Im a playmaker, I make plays" personna. And he will throw any and everyone under the bus before he will step up and face the music when it comes to accepting responsibility.

A Massive difference? :confused: Being out of position for what ever reason is the same result! The only difference here is that your giving Bailey an excuse and not Bly.. They played on the same team! Bly had to be worried about the run the same as Champ..

Besides all that, You have yet to bring any proof "Bly got routinely beat biting on a pump fake knowing that with our lack of pressure, there's no reason for teams not to look downfield" How many long balls did Bly give up biting on a play fake? I can only remember 2. I can remember Champ getting beat on 2 as well.

Both our corners did a good job when you consider what we asked them to do. They were singled up for 5+ seconds all game.

Astrass
03-21-2008, 02:47 PM

Ok fine, you obvously have something personal against the guy. But this will be brushed aside as opinion and certainly not fact. Facts can be proven and what your claiming can't.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect that. Mine is, Bly is a hard worker who does not give up. He's a play maker who is average at run stopping for a CB. On top of that he's the guy who's working the crowd during commercials getting everyone fired up.

I leave you with this quote from Champ Bailey:

"I really don't think people get it," Bailey said. "They don't know how hard this is. Dré has made and will make way more plays than he has given up and will give up. The guy is great for us."

lex
03-21-2008, 03:51 PM
A Massive difference? :confused: Being out of position for what ever reason is the same result! The only difference here is that your giving Bailey an excuse and not Bly.. They played on the same team! Bly had to be worried about the run the same as Champ..

Besides all that, You have yet to bring any proof "Bly got routinely beat biting on a pump fake knowing that with our lack of pressure, there's no reason for teams not to look downfield" How many long balls did Bly give up biting on a play fake? I can only remember 2. I can remember Champ getting beat on 2 as well.

Both our corners did a good job when you consider what we asked them to do. They were singled up for 5+ seconds all game.

Thats according to you. Im not really concerned with whether or not you can discern the difference or not. Feel free to continue posturing though. You asked and I told you. You dont have to like it.

lex
03-21-2008, 03:57 PM
Ok fine, you obvously have something personal against the guy. But this will be brushed aside as opinion and certainly not fact. Facts can be proven and what your claiming can't.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect that. Mine is, Bly is a hard worker who does not give up. He's a play maker who is average at run stopping for a CB. On top of that he's the guy who's working the crowd during commercials getting everyone fired up.

I leave you with this quote from Champ Bailey:

"I really don't think people get it," Bailey said. "They don't know how hard this is. Dré has made and will make way more plays than he has given up and will give up. The guy is great for us."

See, unlike Dre, Champ wont throw his teammate under the bus. All youve done is reinforce what Im saying with that quote. Dre constantly tried to deflect blame this past season. Its there in a variety of quotes. And like I said, his risk taking makes little sense when youre not getting a lot of pressure. It just makes things worse and the fact that he fails to recognize that because of this idea he has of himself as "da playmaker" just shows how selfish he is. For where this team is at, we'd be better off with Paymah or Foxworth.

And btw, "average against the run" is quite generous.

Lonestar
03-21-2008, 03:59 PM
See, unlike Dre, Champ wont throw his teammate under the bus. All youve done is reinforce what Im saying with that quote. Dre constantly tried to deflect blame this past season. Its there in a variety of quotes. And like I said, his risk taking makes little sense when youre not getting a lot of pressure. It just makes things worse and the fact that he fails to recognize that because of this idea he has of himself as "da playmaker" just shows how selfish he is. For where this team is at, we'd be better off with Paymah or Foxworth.

Your dreaming!!

GEM
03-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Such anger in this thread....:eek:

underrated29
03-21-2008, 04:11 PM
dre is bay FAR and away the best cb we have besides champ. Who cares about risks or anything else. He is good and fast and has instincts, recover speed, fluid hips, return ability etc. etc.

If you have snow tires on your car its nice, but when your 4 wheel drive isnt working those snow tires just cant do what they are supposed too. The back wheels are still going to spin out. They might keep you from fishtailing as much, but you need that extra pull and power diversion from the front tires aswell.

Dre and champ couldnt do their jobs correctly, they still did them well, but when the front isnt pulling their weight, the back is forced to pick up the slack, which takes away from their primary jobs. SHUT DOWN the opposing wr. Not make the tackle against the runner. Thats why we have linbackers.

G_Money
03-21-2008, 04:16 PM
I didn't like his tackling, and his blown assignments made me angry, but Bly gets a pass for all of last year from me for the following two reasons:

1) Because our pressure on the QB was like a warm cuddly blanket of love unless Dumervil was doing anything. With all day to sit back in a rocking chair with a mug of hot cocoa and casually toss to his wideouts, most good QBs ruined us in the air. Cornerbacks can't last forever, and Bly in particular needs QBs to make bad judgments and throw balls up for competition in order to truly showcase his skills. Hopefully we get more QB pressure this year, because it'll instantly improve Bly's game.

2) His finishing a game with a separated shoulder because Champ was already out injured. He jumped for balls in the end zone, landed hard on that shoulder, distracted runners and tackled them with one arm, and defended his side of the field admirably. I was bitching about Bly before that game, but he showed heart, leadership and a real team spirit there. Gutty, gutty performance knowing that we NEEDED him on the field. And he delivered.

Nothing bad to say about the guy after that. He gets another year to me to prove he isn't the right fit. I wouldn't have spend the money on another corner, but since we did Bly's a decent one to have. Send him to tackling camp and move on to bigger problems. Now if we can only figure out that pressure thing...

~G

lex
03-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Your dreaming!!

Not if they werent so given to take chances. We had games where we didnt generate much of a pass rush and that doesnt go well with CBs who bite on pump fakes constantly. It kind of makes it easy for the WR to get behind you. But Bly doesnt play to the situation. He's a playmaker...he makes plays...that is, when he's not giving up plays.

Lonestar
03-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Not if they werent so given to take chances. We had games where we didnt generate much of a pass rush and that doesnt go well with CBs who bite on pump fakes constantly. It kind of makes it easy for the WR to get behind you. But Bly doesnt play to the situation. He's a playmaker...he makes plays...that is, when he's not giving up plays.

He is a skilled CB with a lot of talent, they are not..

Paymah might be down the road, but while foxy is a nice guy he will never be of Bly's stature.

They get owned underneath as it is.. Sorry your dreaming..

And I really do not like Bly all that much.. He is just an expensive Darrent..

lex
03-21-2008, 04:56 PM
He is a skilled CB with a lot of talent, they are not..

Paymah might be down the road, but while foxy is a nice guy he will never be of Bly's stature.

They get owned underneath as it is.. Sorry your dreaming..

And I really do not like Bly all that much.. He is just an expensive Darrent..

You can say what you want about Bly. He hurts the team and thats what Im looking at...I dont care how fast he can run, how fluid his hips are...if he makes poor decisions its all negated.

And regarding Paymah and Foxworth, neither of these guys really have been allowed to play enough to say with certainty that they are this or theyre that. But relative to Blys shortcomings, if they'd be more conservative given a lack of pass rush, theyd be better.

Astrass
03-21-2008, 04:58 PM

Man....did he bully you in grade school or something? What's with the hate? Can you show me anything to back up what you are saying about him?

Geez......there isn't one current Bronco I'd ever say this stuff about. Seriously.....he must have taken your lunch money a few times or something.

lex
03-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Man....did he bully you in grade school or something? What's with the hate? Can you show me anything to back up what you are saying about him?
Geez......there isn't one current Bronco I'd ever say this stuff about. Seriously.....he must have taken your lunch money a few times or something.

I already told you Ive seen it in variety of quotes.

Astrass
03-21-2008, 05:07 PM
I already told you Ive seen it in variety of quotes.

No link? Didn't happen! LoL

But honestly, it's obvious you are biased and have personal reasons to dislike him but if you could back up your beliefs with a shred of proof it may help me understand where you are comming from.....a little.

lex
03-21-2008, 05:09 PM
No link? Didn't happen! LoL

But honestly, it's obvious you are biased and have personal reasons to dislike him but if you could back up your beliefs with a shred of proof it may help me understand where you are comming from.....a little.

I dont owe you anything. You asked, I told you. If you dont believe it, you look it up. Why is it at my feet to do the work?

Astrass
03-21-2008, 05:13 PM
I dont owe you anything. You asked, I told you. If you dont believe it, you look it up. Why is it at my feet to do the work?

You're right.....

TXBRONC
03-21-2008, 05:22 PM

Because you're making the accusation that's why its at your feet.

fcspikeit
03-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Thats according to you. Im not really concerned with whether or not you can discern the difference or not. Feel free to continue posturing though. You asked and I told you. You dont have to like it.

:lol: :lol:

That is according to me and pretty much everyone who has posted in this thread ;)

Your entitled to your "opinion" regardless how far it's out of the norm and the tiny little fact you have absolutely NOTHING to back it up. Even compared to a sure fire hall of famer, you can't make him look bad :lol: :salute:

lex
03-21-2008, 05:25 PM

Youre calling it an accusation. Im referencing quotes I read. Are quotes accusations?

fcspikeit
03-21-2008, 05:32 PM

With there being no actual reason, It's just an opinion, without a point.. :salute:

fcspikeit
03-21-2008, 05:35 PM
You can say what you want about Bly. He hurts the team and thats what Im looking at...I dont care how fast he can run, how fluid his hips are...if he makes poor decisions its all negated.

And regarding Paymah and Foxworth, neither of these guys really have been allowed to play enough to say with certainty that they are this or theyre that. But relative to Blys shortcomings, if they'd be more conservative given a lack of pass rush, theyd be better.

I wonder why that is? Maybe our coaches aren't watching them in practice?

I mean why else would we have gave Bly the huge contract to start for us when we already had 2 corners on the roster who are so obviously better then him.. :rolleyes:

TXBRONC
03-21-2008, 05:42 PM
Youre calling it an accusation. Im referencing quotes I read. Are quotes accusations?

It is if you have nothing to verify it as a quote.

lex
03-21-2008, 05:59 PM
:lol: :lol:

That is according to me and pretty much everyone who has posted in this thread ;)

Your entitled to your "opinion" regardless how far it's out of the norm and the tiny little fact you have absolutely NOTHING to back it up. Even compared to a sure fire hall of famer, you can't make him look bad :lol: :salute:

Like I said, feel free to continue posturing.

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2007/11/26/sports/sports01.txt

Notice how he blames not stopping Hester when actually Denver had a lead even after Hesters returns but, again, Bly gave up big plays down the stretch and we lost.

TXBRONC
03-21-2008, 06:17 PM

Notice how he blames not stopping Hester when actually Denver had a lead even after Hesters returns but, again, Bly gave up big plays down the stretch and we lost.

Ok and where did he throw anyone under the bus? Those Special Teams return are what kept Chicago in the game. It was Bailey that was scored upon for the go away score not Bly.

Astrass
03-21-2008, 06:33 PM

now your reaching.....

all he said was he feels they got beat by one person.....SO WHAT!

Sourbrun said Hester won the game for the bears.....same thing.....So WHAT!

you gotta step up with something more solid then that.

fcspikeit
03-21-2008, 07:09 PM

That's pretty funny, considering it was Champ who bit on the pump fake that gave the Bears the game..:lol: :lol: :lol:

Saying Hester won the Bears the game is not the same as saying so and so lost us the game..

Last I checked there is nothing wrong with giving a compliment...

Foxworth was accused of throwing teammates under the bus in the one interview, IMO what he said wasn't that bad, But it was a lot worse then what Bly said... Keep reaching!

Hobe
03-21-2008, 07:28 PM
St. Louis Rams maybe, but not Denver. We don’t need a 30-year-old corner. I think we will stick with Bailey, Bly, Foxworth, and Paymah.

lex
03-21-2008, 07:52 PM
now your reaching.....

all he said was he feels they got beat by one person.....SO WHAT!

Sourbrun said Hester won the game for the bears.....same thing.....So WHAT!

you gotta step up with something more solid then that.

Im not reaching. There were other quotes similar to that during the season where Bly was victimized bad and it was always something else. You wanted a quote and you got one...and it wasnt the only one of that ilk.***********************************EDIT******* ******************

lex
03-21-2008, 07:57 PM
That's pretty funny, considering it was Champ who bit on the pump fake that gave the Bears the game..:lol: :lol: :lol:

Saying Hester won the Bears the game is not the same as saying so and so lost us the game..

Last I checked there is nothing wrong with giving a compliment...

Foxworth was accused of throwing teammates under the bus in the one interview, IMO what he said wasn't that bad, But it was a lot worse then what Bly said... Keep reaching!

So you dont like Champ? You keep bringing him into this. I dont have a problem with Champ. He's a team guy and Ive rarely if ever seen anything of him saying anything to the contrary. Bly is another matter. You keep trying to make this erroneous comparison.

fcspikeit
03-21-2008, 08:01 PM
So you dont like Champ? You keep bringing him into this. I dont have a problem with Champ. He's a team guy and Ive rarely if ever seen anything of him saying anything to the contrary. Bly is another matter. You keep trying to make this erroneous comparison.

Are you trying to get the consciences vote by putting wards in my mouth? :laugh:

Your double standards are clear for everyone to see..

Keep reaching!

lex
03-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Are you trying to get the consciences vote by putting wards in my mouth? :laugh:

Your double standards are clear for everyone to see..

Keep reaching!

Are an apple and orange the same because theyre both fruit?

Astrass
03-21-2008, 10:05 PM

You fruitist!

Hoshdude7
03-21-2008, 10:10 PM

I ate an orange today.

Npba900
03-25-2008, 04:42 AM
I don't think Bly was burned that many more times than Bailey. Bly has weaknesses but so does every player at every position. If we had a consistent pass rush that would alleviate a lot the problems in the secondary.

I agree as well. Is there anyway to find out how many seconds the QB had in the pocket on the plays Bly did get burned on? This of course doesn't completely alleviate Bly totally, but lets keep in mind football is a team sport. Both Champ and Bly's career stats speak for themselves. All the Broncos need is a consistent QB harrassing/sacking D-line and Bly and Champ will perform at Pro Bowl levels.

In fact, Champ and Bly's skills fit best when you have a Defensive line that makes a QB hurry his throws or throw out of timing with their WR's, not necessarily how many times the QB is actually sacked.

Npba900
03-25-2008, 04:46 AM
Im not reaching. There were other quotes similar to that during the season where Bly was victimized bad and it was always something else. You wanted a quote and you got one...and it wasnt the only one of that ilk.***********************************EDIT******* ******************

Not that I'm totally disagreeing with you, how many games did you see Bly getting burned? As I live in the state of Virginia, and can't see all the Broncos games, I did see Bly getting burned against GB....which ended costing Denver the game. Other than the GB game I don't recall anymore games Bly was burned.

LRtagger
03-25-2008, 08:27 AM
speaking of calling out teammates...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2694904

That was after Gates and Rivers dominated his side of the field in a 48-20 loss.

As possible evidence of his charges, Williams blamed the Broncos' four-game skid -- only the second in Shanahan's 11 seasons -- on some players taking some plays off.

"Because," he suggested, "if we got 100 percent effort from everybody, we could easily win these games."

Give me a break. What Bly said about Hester is in no way comparible to what DW is saying in this article.

I know everyone respects Darrent now after the tragedy of his murder, but he was a much worse teammate and cover corner than Bly. I apologize in advance to anyone who thinks I am being disrespectful to Darrent. That is not my intention.

Again, Bly might be overpaid...but lets reserve critisizm for next year. The entire defense was terrible last year (even Bailey) so dropping blame on Bly after one season is not justified IMO.

lex
03-25-2008, 09:00 AM
Not that I'm totally disagreeing with you, how many games did you see Bly getting burned? As I live in the state of Virginia, and can't see all the Broncos games, I did see Bly getting burned against GB....which ended costing Denver the game. Other than the GB game I don't recall anymore games Bly was burned.

There was also the game vs the Bears and the game vs the Raiders...just off the top of my head.

lex
03-25-2008, 09:07 AM
speaking of calling out teammates...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2694904

That was after Gates and Rivers dominated his side of the field in a 48-20 loss.

Give me a break. What Bly said about Hester is in no way comparible to what DW is saying in this article.

I know everyone respects Darrent now after the tragedy of his murder, but he was a much worse teammate and cover corner than Bly. I apologize in advance to anyone who thinks I am being disrespectful to Darrent. That is not my intention.

Again, Bly might be overpaid...but lets reserve critisizm for next year. The entire defense was terrible last year (even Bailey) so dropping blame on Bly after one season is not justified IMO.

Yeah, though subtle, I think there is a difference between saying there are guys taking plays off and calling out the front 7 specifically. But truthfully, Im not really a fan of that at all. There were actually more occasions of Bly deflecting blame, there was one where he actually called out the front 7 or D Line...not 100% which one it was. But try googling "Dre Bly calls out" or "Dre Bly under the bus" and youll see other examples of him doing this, mainly with Detroit. And theres a lot of stuff to sift through regarding him throwing people under the bus in Detroit. And the reason is that this is who he is, its what he does. But if you read the post game stories in the various outlets during the season, youd see multiple examples of this. I actually complained about it when it happened.

lex
03-25-2008, 09:11 AM
I agree as well. Is there anyway to find out how many seconds the QB had in the pocket on the plays Bly did get burned on? This of course doesn't completely alleviate Bly totally, but lets keep in mind football is a team sport. Both Champ and Bly's career stats speak for themselves. All the Broncos need is a consistent QB harrassing/sacking D-line and Bly and Champ will perform at Pro Bowl levels.

In fact, Champ and Bly's skills fit best when you have a Defensive line that makes a QB hurry his throws or throw out of timing with their WR's, not necessarily how many times the QB is actually sacked.

I think this is pretty much obvious to everyone. That and also having an offense who jumps out early and can take chances on defense. But we didnt have that and Bly should play more to the situation in the absense of what you mentioned. He was way too susceptible to biting on the hitch or pump fake considering he knew our pass rush wasnt always there. This whole "Im a playmaker, I make plays" mantra riechs of selfish and stubbornness not someone who has the team in mind. And then on top of that he deflects blame.

LRtagger
03-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Gotcha. I can understand him complaining in Detroit. Look who he was being coached by. And to have so many consecutive disappointing seasons is really difficult to bare, I'm sure.

If we can turn the defense around this year and play solid all while winning a few games, I think you will see an attitude change around the entire team. We will just have to see. I am not ready to condemn Bly just yet and I haven't seen him talk down on other players while on the Broncos roster. I could care less what he did in Detroit. I'm sure no one would be complaining about TO's past were we able to bring him to Denver. It's just hard for some players to consistantly lose.

LRtagger
03-25-2008, 09:24 AM
I think this is pretty much obvious to everyone. That and also having an offense who jumps out early and can take chances on defense. But we didnt have that and Bly should play more to the situation in the absense of what you mentioned. He was way too susceptible to biting on the hitch or pump fake considering he knew our pass rush wasnt always there. This whole "Im a playmaker, I make plays" mantra riechs of selfish and stubbornness not someone who has the team in mind. And then on top of that he deflects blame.

Also keep in mind that BOTH Bly and Bailey bit consistantly on the play action and pump fake. I don't think I need to explain why they did.

Take into account that Bailey got burnt quite a few times last year as well. Our problems in the secondary last year started with our front 7, again, this is obvious. If we can fix that (which it looks like we are trying to do), I think we will see a dramatic improvement in Bly and Bailey's play on the corners.

I'll say it again...our entire defense stunk last year. Scheme, personel, and poor play contributed to that. To call one person out on our defense for poor play is unfair. If we stopped the run, created QB pressure, Bailey held down his man, and Bly was still getting beat then obviously he is to blame. But that is simply not the case.

I cannot think of one game last year where we lost SOLELY because Bly played poorly and got beat consistantly. All of our losses last year stemmed from several contributing factors (all of which we are trying to address). CB is one of the few positions I dont feel we need to address this offseason.

lex
03-25-2008, 09:29 AM
Also keep in mind that BOTH Bly and Bailey bit consistantly on the play action and pump fake. I don't think I need to explain why they did.

Take into account that Bailey got burnt quite a few times last year as well. Our problems in the secondary last year started with our front 7, again, this is obvious. If we can fix that (which it looks like we are trying to do), I think we will see a dramatic improvement in Bly and Bailey's play on the corners.

I'll say it again...our entire defense stunk last year. Scheme, personel, and poor play contributed to that. To call one person out on our defense for poor play is unfair. If we stopped the run, created QB pressure, Bailey held down his man, and Bly was still getting beat then obviously he is to blame. But that is simply not the case.

I cannot think of one game last year where we lost SOLELY because Bly played poorly and got beat consistantly. All of our losses last year stemmed from several contributing factors (all of which we are trying to address). CB is one of the few positions I dont feel we need to address this offseason.

Bailey is a willing tackler. He helps out a lot in the running game. Our defense had trouble stopping the run so other teams ran a lot. And a lot of the times I saw Bailey get beat was when his eyes were in the backfield watching for the run.

LRtagger
03-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Bailey is a willing tackler. He helps out a lot in the running game. Our defense had trouble stopping the run so other teams ran a lot. And a lot of the times I saw Bailey get beat was when his eyes were in the backfield watching for the run.

That is my point.

No corner in the league can do everything that Champ Bailey does, so let's not expect anyone we put opposite him will perform on the same level he does.

We need to work on getting pressure in the backfield, stopping the ball at the line of scrimmage, and creating havoc in the backfield. Bly will be able to play more aggressively (like he has his entire career and like we knew he would when we brought him here) while having safety help over the top. Bly was not the problem on defense last year.

We do NOT need to find another solution at CB.

lex
03-25-2008, 10:16 AM
That is my point.

No corner in the league can do everything that Champ Bailey does, so let's not expect anyone we put opposite him will perform on the same level he does.

We need to work on getting pressure in the backfield, stopping the ball at the line of scrimmage, and creating havoc in the backfield. Bly will be able to play more aggressively (like he has his entire career and like we knew he would when we brought him here) while having safety help over the top. Bly was not the problem on defense last year.

We do NOT need to find another solution at CB.

I dont put Bly and Champ on the same level. I wasnt even the one who introduced Champ into this. I wish Champ hadnt been mentioned. Theres no comparison.

But I disagree on Bly. I dont think we're that much better off with him.

LRtagger
03-25-2008, 10:33 AM
You might be right! I want to see him play another year under a new scheme with new personel before I decide. If he does not perform this year, I see no reason to keep him.