PDA

View Full Version : Money tight, Broncos make staff cuts

Denver Native (Carol)
03-19-2008, 05:44 PM
Wow - Andrew Mason was one of them:

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_8629051

Let there be no doubt money is tight at Dove Valley.

The latest hint occurred Wednesday when budget cuts led the Broncos to dismiss three employees not directly involved in football operations, according to multiple NFL sources.

Let go Wednesday were Paul Kirk, the Broncos' director of media relations; Pamela Krotchko, manager of Denver Broncos charities; and Andrew Mason, managing editor of DenverBroncos.com;.

The first hint the Broncos were cutting back was after they lost three of coach Mike Shanahan's top assistants — defensive head coach Jim Bates, offensive head coach Mike Heimerdinger and general manager Ted Sundquist — and replaced them in-house.

Then there was the Broncos' judicious spending both in the free-agent market and while re-signing their own players. And now the organization has been forced to cut people who worked behind-the-scenes.

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com.

Hoshdude7
03-19-2008, 05:45 PM
Good. Mason is an idiot.

Lonestar
03-19-2008, 05:53 PM
one wonders why it is under the outdooor section under hunting and fishing..

Click on the link..

Maybe that is what klis is handling now..

underrated29
03-19-2008, 05:58 PM
one wonders why it is under the outdooor section under hunting and fishing..

Click on the link..

Maybe that is what klis is handling now..

he was cut back too.

Superchop 7
03-19-2008, 06:06 PM
This is the reason they have been playing the "cap" game.

Told ya so.

They might as well send Bly packing, if money is tight, we have a replacement. (Paymah)

They can also do themselves a favor and swap out the #12 pick for something lower, truth is, we really need 3 picks in the third round. (Okam, Harrison, Schmitt)

They don't have to play the "cap" game, it insults my intelligence, every business runs into money problems, it doesn't mean you won't be competitive, it just means you gotta be smart, just look at the Rockies, they were upfront about money problems, we accepted that as truth and still supported them, what did they do on a severe budget ? Adapt and overcome to the n'th degree.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going, this is why a guy like Lynch comes back for little money. This is why Pat Bowlen wants to talk to Jason face to face.

You took care of them, now all you ask is for a little loyalty in return.

Maybe he should have a heart to heart with Shanny too, I think coach could give a little back as well, no one has been better taken care of by an owner than him.......he is set for life.

Pat really doesn't have the luxury of selling a minority stake in the team, Edgar Kaiser is first in line to get any share that Pat is selling, if Edgar gets any part of our team he will want it torn apart for profit.

Pat knows that, they have already been to court about it.

Kaiser is a jerk.

I've always loved an underdog.......life hands ya lemons.....make lemonade. I think that the community would feel the same way, the Bronco's just need to lay their cards on the table, we will take it from there.

"It's not how hard you can get hit, it's how hard you can get hit and keep moving
forward" Rocky

I am sorry for Mason, he was a good person.

broncosfanscott
03-19-2008, 06:30 PM
Wow, letting people go isn't just about the coaches and players. For those who are let go.........that sucks.

Superchop 7
03-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Wow, letting people go isn't just about the coaches and players. For those who are let go.........that sucks.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Always remember, one door closes and another one opens.:salute:

broncosfanscott
03-19-2008, 06:44 PM
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Got that right.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Good. Mason is an idiot.

Dude, he just lost his job. How classless can you be?

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
03-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Good. Mason is an idiot.

i 100% agree.

Simple Jaded
03-19-2008, 07:05 PM
But at least they kept Nate Jackson, John Engelberger and Ebeneezer Ekuban......the Broncos narrowly averted disaster......

Dean
03-19-2008, 07:08 PM

You can get very hungry and depressed before the next one opens.

P.S. I liked Andrew Mason.

Lonestar
03-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Wonder if the mania goes down the tubes also, that has to be huge expense also..

Will wait to hear if steve gets the ax.

There has to be a lot of shaking going on in dove valley..

Maybe that is why mikey did not attend the combine?

Denver Native (Carol)
03-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Wonder if the mania goes down the tubes also, that has to be huge expense also..

Will wait to hear if steve gets the ax.

There has to be a lot of shaking going on in dove valley..

Maybe that is why mikey did not attend the combine?

Maybe the ads on the mania are keeping that going.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Yeah, that forum isn't going anywhere -- as much as some people here would like it to crash and burn. Let's hope guys like Steve can keep their jobs because without going there, places like this would have never sprung up.

Best luck to everyone involved in these cuts.

Lonestar
03-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Maybe the ads on the mania are keeping that going.

I hear they get a kick back from all eye doctors for the searing pain they cause..

Buff
03-19-2008, 08:14 PM
I liked Mason's blog... That sucks for him, but he'll find work easily.

topscribe
03-19-2008, 08:15 PM
That was quite a shock for me, regarding Mason.

I really like him, too.

-----

topscribe
03-19-2008, 08:18 PM
But at least they kept Nate Jackson, John Engelberger and Ebeneezer Ekuban......the Broncos narrowly averted disaster......

Sarcasm noted.

However, I don't understand what some of you guys have against Ekuban.
He was playing damn good ball before he was hurt.

-----

topscribe
03-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Yeah, that forum isn't going anywhere -- as much as some people here would like it to crash and burn. Let's hope guys like Steve can keep their jobs because without going there, places like this would have never sprung up.

Best luck to everyone involved in these cuts.

I don't think too many people here wish for the fall of Mania.

I don't. I know Tned doesn't. We get along well with those guys.

And I agree about Steve. He irritated the poop out of me at times, but he is
behind a great deal of that board's success. I hope the Broncos realize his
value.

-----

dogfish
03-19-2008, 09:04 PM
i wouldn't want broncos country to crash-- i'm afraid all the little fanboys might come over here. . . . :eek:

good thing jmike got out when he did. . .

nevcraw
03-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Somehow I'm thinking Pat's new stance has more to do w/ him as chairman of the league’s labor committee, bracing for the capless 2011 then him going broke or tightening the reins. There is no way he can keep spending big dollars on FA's while at the same time tell the players that the teams are making less money so revenue sharing under the current agreement has to end..
His postion is going to piss a lot of players off and will probably hurt Denver's chances over the next few years from landing top FA talent. not that that is all bad...

TXBRONC
03-19-2008, 09:18 PM
i 100% agree.

Why do you think that?

Lonestar
03-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Somehow I'm thinking Pat's new stance has more to do w/ him as chairman of the league’s labor committee, bracing for the capless 2011 then him going broke or tightening the reins. There is no way he can keep spending big dollars on FA's while at the same time tell the players that the teams are making less money so revenue sharing under the current agreement has to end.. His postion is going to piss a lot of players off and will probably hurt Denver's chances over the next few years from landing top FA talent. not that that is all bad...

I think that it is deeper than is seems.

Why would they be cutting office staff and Front Office at that. Something does not add up..

SmilinAssasSin27
03-19-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm not buying that $$ is tight. The stadium still fills up. The luxury boxes are still occupied and people still rock plenty of fan gear. Maybe they're cleaning hosue to...i dunno...clean house?

nevcraw
03-19-2008, 09:24 PM
I think that it is deeper than is seems.

Why would they be cutting office staff and Front Office at that. Something does not add up..

Because they are no longer making enough money to pay all of these cost centers.. "wink, wink"

DenBronx
03-19-2008, 09:41 PM
what ever happens...i just hope the guy that replaces andrew (if one does replace andrew) that he will show just as many or more clips during mini and training camp. his camp coverage was better than most other teams.

the main thing is....i hope he remains a bronco fan. :salute:

Dean
03-19-2008, 10:04 PM
Yeah, that forum isn't going anywhere -- as much as some people here would like it to crash and burn.

That, in my opinion, seems uncalled for. What is to be gained by saying something like that?

You come here to post don't you? Surely you don't see us as being that small and vindictive.

LordTrychon
03-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Somehow I'm thinking Pat's new stance has more to do w/ him as chairman of the league’s labor committee, bracing for the capless 2011 then him going broke or tightening the reins. There is no way he can keep spending big dollars on FA's while at the same time tell the players that the teams are making less money so revenue sharing under the current agreement has to end..
His postion is going to piss a lot of players off and will probably hurt Denver's chances over the next few years from landing top FA talent. not that that is all bad...

This is what I've been thinking. :salute:

And for the record, I've heard nothing from Steve about the boards going away or his job being scrutinized.

BeefStew25
03-19-2008, 10:36 PM
These cuts have nothing to do with belt tightning. This is all about the bargaining agreement. All NFL teams will be doing this. The Jags did it last fall. Contract work will not be counted as team revenue.

This current agreement is also why Paul Tags is not going to get into the HOF for awhile.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-19-2008, 11:08 PM
I don't think too many people here wish for the fall of Mania.

I don't. I know Tned doesn't. We get along well with those guys.

And I agree about Steve. He irritated the poop out of me at times, but he is
behind a great deal of that board's success. I hope the Broncos realize his
value.

-----

I totally agree with this. I certainly do not wish for the fall of Mania.

pnbronco
03-19-2008, 11:10 PM
These cuts have nothing to do with belt tightning. This is all about the bargaining agreement. All NFL teams will be doing this. The Jags did it last fall. Contract work will not be counted as team revenue.

This current agreement is also why Paul Tags is not going to get into the HOF for awhile.

Beef, could you please explain a little more of what you mean?

pnbronco
03-19-2008, 11:11 PM
I totally agree with this. I certainly do not wish for the fall of Mania.

Me too Carol. I'm glad I had a place to go for years. I'm just so grateful to have this place now where I can post and ask questions.

BeefStew25
03-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Beef, could you please explain a little more of what you mean?

Well, right now a percentage of each team's profit must be spent on the players.

What the owners are doing is limiting the overhead so they can make more money off the same gross profit.

Jags cleaned house with most of their IT and broadcast departments last fall. They then hired them as contract employees.

I think this is going to be standard. The owners are going to posture that they are losing money (which none of them are, regardless of how whiny they sound, the TV deals promise that).

The problem is that they are not having the growth they once did.

In summary: No, Bowlen is going to to fold the team. He knows by doing this and explaining why, he is going to gain a little leverage on the NFLPA.

BeefStew25
03-19-2008, 11:16 PM
Can we call this place the Freak?

pnbronco
03-19-2008, 11:24 PM

No but thank you for taking the time answer my question. So are they are playing the game of letting go these people as employees and hire them back or replace them with contract positions?

Denver Native (Carol)
03-19-2008, 11:28 PM

Uh - NO - next question

BeefStew25
03-19-2008, 11:30 PM
No but thank you for taking the time answer my question. So are they are playing the game of letting go these people as employees and hire them back or replace them with contract positions?

Well, I have no idea what Bowlen is planning.

Lots of teams cut the fat this time of year. I think the league year ends in March. I think.

The cool thing for the owners is that the NFL is a private entity, so they don't have to open up their books to explain their 'losses'. Which is bullshit, as the stadiums they play in are built with tax money.

This is all premptive posturing. The NFLPA will maybe have a 8th string long snapper starve to death in retaliation.

BeefStew25
03-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Uh - NO - next question

Ok, well I think we can all agree The Forum makes it sound like a Penthouse story telling magazine.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-19-2008, 11:33 PM
Ok, well I think we can all agree The Forum makes it sound like a Penthouse story telling magazine.

Definitions of forum on the Web:

* a public meeting or assembly for open discussion

BeefStew25
03-19-2008, 11:35 PM

http://www.magsn.com/images/40182.jpg

pnbronco
03-19-2008, 11:40 PM

Ah Carol, I'm sure all the guys that went to the Penthouse Forum thought they were having a open discussion.

Thanks again Beef.

Lonestar
03-19-2008, 11:49 PM
what ever happens...i just hope the guy that replaces andrew (if one does replace andrew) that he will show just as many or more clips during mini and training camp. his camp coverage was better than most other teams.

the main thing is....i hope he remains a bronco fan. :salute:

I'm just guess here that there will not be an to do this, in the future..

Or what would be the reason for cutting him loose..

pnbronco
03-19-2008, 11:52 PM
I hear they get a kick back from all eye doctors for the searing pain they cause..

Man Jrwiz, that was just too good, I almost fell out of my chair laughing:laugh:

Superchop 7
03-20-2008, 02:45 AM

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

I tend to disagree, the reason ? Even back in the day.....John used to defer $$.....that is a move you make when you are low on dough.

Furthermore, if you look at Bronco's history and "actual" dollars spent on payroll....they are a middle of the pack team.

I do believe that there is some collusion and posturing going on amongst the owners. (especially the super-rich owners)

I also believe that the Bronco's are not swimming in $$.

Keep in mind that alot of start-up leagues have vanished quickly.

The bottom line is, it has to be profitable to be competitive, it has to be fair in the distribution of revenue to create parity.

The Bronco's do have flexibility in payroll (creating dead cap space) and I think it is a tool that they use, but, it's all smoke and mirrors when you get down to it.

With the current state of interest rates, it would be a great time for them to re-structure their debt, they should really look into booking more events at Invesco, it is a good time to start putting fan-fare $$ in the coffers and raising ticket prices. (a few dollars a ticket won't kill anybody)

Do what you gotta do Pat, just keep Kaiser the hell away from this team.

Superchop 7
03-20-2008, 03:32 AM
You can get very hungry and depressed before the next one opens.

P.S. I liked Andrew Mason.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Yes, you could accept defeat, then again......to borrow another quote....

"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows, it's a very mean and nasty place......and I don't care how tough you are.....it will beat you to your knee's and keep you there permanently IF YOU LET IT"

Bottom line......don't let it......rise above it.

Dean
03-20-2008, 06:15 AM
Andrew's Blogs and articles are well writen and interesting. I would imagine that like you imply he will soon find other emplyment even during this period of cut-backs. He has connections in football that few others can match.

I wish him well.

powderaddict
03-20-2008, 09:52 AM
I never thought about the upcoming labor problems having anything to do with this.

I wonder how ugly that is going to get. I hope they can work it out without a strike.

Although the last time they had a strike the Broncos made the superbowl, so maybe it wont be such a bad thing! :laugh: :D

GEM
03-20-2008, 10:04 AM
I liked Mason. Sorry to see him go. I see a few different people within the organization that the pink slip would have gone better to, but I'm gonna shut up now. Their main site has been a problem for awhile and I don't see it getting better....that's the only hint I'm giving.

ydave77
03-20-2008, 10:51 AM
I am not so sure this is all budget cut related...I mean if we were really having monetary issues, would we be pursuing Dewayne Robertson. Would we bother to sign Weigmann to a 3 mill contract even though he will likely be depth only. His 1 yr salary could eaisly have paid the salaries of those who got fired. Perhaps someone upstairs decided these guys werent doing the job the way they expected them too. Not to say they were doing it poorly, but again maybe just not on the same page as their bosses...I dont know...

regardless gl to all 8 in finding new jobs, hope everything works out for them

pnbronco
03-20-2008, 11:10 AM
I am not so sure this is all budget cut related...I mean if we were really having monetary issues, would we be pursuing Dewayne Robertson. Would we bother to sign Weigmann to a 3 mill contract even though he will likely be depth only. His 1 yr salary could eaisly have paid the salaries of those who got fired. Perhaps someone upstairs decided these guys werent doing the job the way they expected them too. Not to say they were doing it poorly, but again maybe just not on the same page as their bosses...I dont know...

regardless gl to all 8 in finding new jobs, hope everything works out for them

Let go Wednesday were Paul Kirk, the Broncos' director of media relations; Pamela Krotchko, manager of Denver Broncos charities; and Andrew Mason, managing editor of DenverBroncos.com;.

YD there were 3 yesterday and Ted, who did I miss?

ydave77
03-20-2008, 11:17 AM

YD there were 3 yesterday and Ted, who did I miss?

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8629051

This article doesnt name all 8...
it does say the reason is budget cuts though...
i guess we'll see...if they hire replacements then less likely budgetary...

of course budget does fit in with our low key off-season...it just seems like an unusual direction to fire employees, if in fact they were all doing their jobs well ,to save money..when not signing one depth player woudl probably pay for all their salaries...

powderaddict
03-20-2008, 12:33 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8629051

This article doesnt name all 8...
it does say the reason is budget cuts though...
i guess we'll see...if they hire replacements then less likely budgetary...

of course budget does fit in with our low key off-season...it just seems like an unusual direction to fire employees, if in fact they were all doing their jobs well ,to save money..when not signing one depth player woudl probably pay for all their salaries...

Salary is not the only cost to an employer. Salary, insurance, benefits, etc. Salary is only one piece of the puzzle. Elimating 8 people, and the "overhead" associated, could save the company quite a bit. Of course, 1 average player contract will offset that. But, overall, the players are more valuable to the teams than backoffice staff. It's cold, but true.

Also, budget cuts does not always mean financial instability. Usually it does, and it may here, but it could be that they just don't feel like the money spent is generating enough in return to justify the expense.

Either way, it's time to go buy some Broncos gear and help the financial health of my favorite team! :P

HORSEPOWER 56
03-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Strange that most of the cuts were in the media and PR departments. Is it possible that all the FA and trade "rumors" that we've been hearing could be leaks inside the Broncos' organization from these departments? Is it possible that they were starting rumors and feeding guys like Kizla and Klis info that may be "confidential" in order to drum up press for the Broncos? Maybe the brass found out and cleaned house.

The only reason I bring it up is because if there's a FA out there or a potential draftee, the Broncos always seem to be listed in EVERY media report as an "interested team".

Of course, I'm completely talking out my ass on this one, but it's a thought.

Lonestar
03-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Strange that most of the cuts were in the media and PR departments. Is it possible that all the FA and trade "rumors" that we've been hearing could be leaks inside the Broncos' organization from these departments? Is it possible that they were starting rumors and feeding guys like Kizla and Klis info that may be "confidential" in order to drum up press for the Broncos? Maybe the brass found out and cleaned house.

The only reason I bring it up is because if there's a FA out there or a potential draftee, the Broncos always seem to be listed in EVERY media report as an "interested team".

Of course, I'm completely talking out my ass on this one, but it's a thought.

Makes as much sense as anything I'd heard..