PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper chat wrap

Stargazer
03-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Kaden, 4th Ave: Any chance the Lions won't draft a 1st round running back now that Kevin Jones is gone?

Mel Kiper: (1:05 PM ET ) I think it depends on if Mendenhall is there. There's a chance he could be gone. He could be gone to Cincinnati. Chicago. Teams like that. If that's the case, then the Lions would have to look at at RB or as a DE. If he is there, I would mark it down. They're changing their whole philosophy and run the football.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
gary bores wallingford, ct: Very interested in Jets pick. Do they take Gholston if available or skill position McFadden despite their apparent stable of backs?

Mel Kiper: (1:06 PM ET ) Gholston to me, makes a lot of sense to the Jets. To beat New England, you have to rush the passer. From that standpoint, Gholston along with Pace would give them the pressure they need. The Jets don't have a great RB, they have some complementary types. McFadden would be tempting for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rob (MS): When is the last time there was a draft with so many questions as to who go first and how many guys can go first?

Mel Kiper: (1:07 PM ET ) I don't know if it's a lot of questions. It's around two players. Chris Long or Matt Ryan. I don't think it's multiple players, it's two. Those are the two that would make the most sense to the Dolphins. For Atlanta, they're hoping Matt Ryan would be there for them.

Andrew ( Bakersfield California): Is rodgers-cromartie worth all the hype of being picked 7th to the pats? If so why? And if he's not picked there, where do you think he will fall?

Mel Kiper: (1:09 PM ET ) He would go 8 to Baltimore, 10 to New Orleans. Is he worthy of the hype? I don't know about hype. The CB spot allowed him to move up. He's done everything well. When you put it all together, he's added some weight. He knows the question about him is his toughness and run support. He knows that's the criticism. I think he's aware, but he does have to add some weight. But as a cover guy, he has a chance go become a very good player. But at the Senior Bowl and combine, he looked like one of the best.

Matt : Segog, MN: Which tight end is most NFL ready to make an immediate impact in the passing game?

Mel Kiper: (1:10 PM ET ) I'd say probably the guy that can make the most impact in the passing game is Dustin Keller from Purdue. He's a former WR. You can move him around and create some matchup advantages.

Josh (Rockwall TX): Hey Mel, Do you think that the Bears are trying to trade down in the first round to get more picks. I hear they are high on the OL from Boston College. Isn't 14 too high to pick him?

Mel Kiper: (1:11 PM ET ) It would be, but they need a LT, they don't need a RT. Cherilous from BC is a RT. They want to draft a LT. They want to move John Tate to RT and get a LT. They could look at Ryan Clady, but I don't think he'll be there. I think the guy that would look the best would be Chris Williams from Vanderbilt. He's a natural LT.

Robert (Richmond Virginia): Hi Mel. What do you think about what my raiders are doing????

Mel Kiper: (1:12 PM ET ) I think in terms of Hall, he's a heckuva football player, but their needs are elsewhere. DT, RB, WR. They have some needs, there's no questions. They added Wilson at free safety. I don't have a problem with Hall, because he's a good player, but I think there are a lot of other needs to be addressed before this team is ready to be a playoff contender.

George (Bakersfield, CA): What is your opinion on the Dolphins activity in Free Agency and what players should they focus on in the draft? Thanks

Mel Kiper: (1:16 PM ET ) They've added a OG, but they still need a OT. They added Starks on the DL, but they still need some help there. They added Torber at OLB. They added a WR. They added Keith Davis on special teams. They still need help at CB, OT, RB. Wilford I had as the 12th best WR in free agency. He should help them. I think he's a marginal starter. Smiley, I thought was the 6th best guard, in a pretty good group. He's a pretty good player. San Francisco wasn't concerned with him leaving, but he's OK. He blocks well on the move. Starks, he has a lot of talent. He has really leveled off since his good rookie year. Torber will be a good addition and Davis is a good special teams player.

Mel Kiper: (1:17 PM ET ) Torber was the 19th best OLB in the free agency group. He was supposedly a pass rusher coming out of Auburn, but he's only had 2 sacks in the last three seasons. Those guys are kind of iffy to a certain extent. They have ability, but they're still kind of iffy.

Paul (Trenton, NJ): If C. Long was amazingly on the board, along with D-Mac at #4, who would Oakland take? It may be far-fetched, but what do you think?

Mel Kiper: (1:19 PM ET ) Good question. At that time, you go with who is the best on the board and who you need the most. At that stage, McFadden would look good in a Raider uniform. If McFadden is there, I think with Russell being a young QB, you need to surround him with as much talent as you can.

MIke (Greenville NC): Where do you think Chris Johnson will fall in the second round?

Mel Kiper: (1:20 PM ET ) I'd say right now, second or third round. Brian Westbrook was a third round pick. RBs do drop a little bit. He has great speed. It wouldn't surprise me if he went second, but it wouldn't surprise me if he went in the third either.

Mel Kiper: (1:20 PM ET ) I'd say third if you had to get an answer from me.

Matt (St. Cloud, MN): MEL!!!!!!!! Which CBs best fit the Packers' man-press coverage scheme? Who could be available at #30, or will the value be better in round 2?

Mel Kiper: (1:20 PM ET ) I think for the Packers, Mike Jenkins from South Florida would be good for what they like to do. He would be an ideal fit for their system.

Matt (Linden CA): what defensive ends are there in the draft that can play in a 3-4

Mel Kiper: (1:23 PM ET ) There are a lot of those guys. Gholston is the front line guy. Bruce Davis, UCLA; Cliff Avril, Purdue; Quintin Groves; Kroy Biermann, Montana; Jameel McClain, Syracuse; Curtis Johnson, Clark (Atl.); Marcus Howard, Georgia; Shaun Richardson, Tennessee St.; Joe Clermond, Pittsburgh; Angelo Craig, Cincinnati.

Bobby (Toledo, OH): Why is McKelvin rated so high?!?! Shouldn't his size be a major concern?

Mel Kiper: (1:25 PM ET ) No. I don't think his size is anything to worry about. Remember, he's a tough, physical, aggressive corner. He's not a little guy, 5-10, 192. He doesn't have the astronomical vertical - 33.5. He's just a very good coverman. He has outstanding anticipation. He has great awareness. He doesn't have good ball skills. He doesn't have good hands. That's the big concern. He's also a good return man. I think he's a top 15 pick in the first round. Possibilities for him is New Orleans at 10.

Nathan, Cincinnati Ohio: Do you see Joe Flacco making a big difference to the team that drafts him?

Mel Kiper: (1:26 PM ET ) I don't think any QB makes a big impact to the team that drafts him. Did Russell make a big impact? Did Quinn? Do QBs over history make a big impact? Marino did. Roethlisberger did. But you normally don't see that. The second or third year is when you expect QBs to come in and win. I still think that's premature, but when you're a QB in this league, you're expected to come in and win.

Dan (Seattle): Where do you see Jonathon Stewart falling to since he had surgery

Mel Kiper: (1:28 PM ET ) That's a tough call. Because if a team really likes Stewart to be their feature guy, do they take him in the first round? I think he's a second round pick. He had the surgery, he's borderline for being ready for training camp. You expect a rookie RB to make an impact. If you're the Texans at 18, do you shy away from him? Thurman Thomas went in the second round because of injury questions. I think that injury will push him into the second round.

Dan - San Jose: Did the 49ers recent WR acquisitions help you decide to move away from your early James Hardy projection to Gosder? Are you still there with your thinking?

Mel Kiper: (1:31 PM ET ) Yeah. They released Jackson. They signed Bruce and Johnson. If you look at that on the surface and ask where that leaves this team, Johnson was the 4th best WR. He had a decent year. He's going to be expected to be a starter. Bruce will be one of those third or fourth options. I felt the RT spot is so critical this year that Cherilous would be a good pick. He's an OK LT prospect, but he's outstanding RT prospect.

George (Decatur, GA): Where/when do you see Brian Brohm going?

Mel Kiper: (1:32 PM ET ) I think he goes second round, either to Baltimore or Chicago. I think at that point, he's a heckuva pick. Two years ago, I would have said he's a definite first rounder and maybe a top 5 pick. He drops into the second because of what happened this year. The coach changed, he didn't get a lot of help from his teammates. He's a good drop back passer who understands the game. Tough kid, accurate passer. I like the way he moves the team up the field.

Mel Kiper: (1:33 PM ET ) Louisville hasn't had a great history. Chris Redman didn't pan out. Ragone didn't pan out in Houston. Browning Nagle didn't pan out with the Jets. This Louisville program hasn't produced a ton of QBs that have done well in the NFL. Johnny Unitas was one of them, but of late, they haven't produced QBs.

Mike Nolan (San Francisco): Is Joe Staley worthy of the 7th overall pick in this draft?

Mel Kiper: (1:35 PM ET ) Yeah, I think he was. For this reason, how does he compare to Ryan Clady, Jake Long? He's shown real well. He could be a heckuva LT. He's as good as Clady, Long. I have no problem with that. The thing is the 49ers still have a first round pick.

Jay Atlanta: Let's say Miami picks Ryan, who does St Louis and then Atlanta take?

Mel Kiper: (1:36 PM ET ) Well, if Ryan goes to Miami, St. Louis would then take Chris Long. Then Atlanta looks at a Glenn Dorsey or to trade down. They're not going to take McFadden because the have Turner and Norwood. They could look at Jake Long.

Stargazer
03-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Kevin (NYC): So where is Flacco on your board now? I still keep thinking the Bears with their 2nd rounder would be perfect, or am i WAY off?

Mel Kiper: (1:38 PM ET ) No, I don't think that's way off at all. Flacco's in that second round mix. He's competing with Henne and Brohm. Chicago and Baltimore are picking QBs in the second round. There are not a lot of teams that are going to prioritize QB. Whoever gets left out of those three could drop to the third round. With Flacco's arm strength and size, he's a confident young man. He's got the strongest arm in this draft.

Rich (San Francisco): This could be Alex Smith's last year in the Bay area. Do you think the Niners will look to pick up a late round QB? Colt Brennan & Mike Martz maybe? Sounds crazy, but interesting....

Mel Kiper: (1:40 PM ET ) Yeah. This is what I think. In the mid to late rounds. Some of those guys would be Josh Johnson from San Diego; Dennis Dixon; Colt Brennan, Matt Flynn; Nick Hill.

Mel Kiper: (1:40 PM ET ) Paul Smith from Tulsa. Those are some guys that I would think about.

Jeffrey (Denver): Hey Mel! What do you see the Denver Broncos doing?

Mel Kiper: (1:41 PM ET ) They got Bailey, Colbert, they've helped themselves at safety and LB a little bit. But LT, they have to look at. Ryan Clady, maybe. DT, another WR. A LB still. Their needs are fairly significant.

Mel Kiper: (1:42 PM ET ) I think LT is front and center. You have to hope that Cutler has to be consistent. You have to have a LT that can pass protect and give him some time to throw the football.
Diran Shirley, NY: Should the Dallas Cowboys make a trade in the draft or hold onto those two first rounders?

Mel Kiper: (1:44 PM ET ) The Cowboys would be wise to hold on to the two. I know there has been talk to move up to get McFadden. I understand the temptation to moveup. But if I'm at 22 and I can get a Felix Jones and put him with Barber and make him my primary kickoff returner and then at 28 get a corner. Brandon Flowers, Jenkins, Talib, if one of those corners are there, you get the RB and CB. I'd be very happy if it fell that way. But there's no guarantee that he's there at 22.

skygirl long island: Hi Mel.What do you think the vikings will do? do you think ot may come into play?

Mel Kiper: (1:45 PM ET ) In free agency, they've addressed the WR, FB, S. They've already helped themselves in a few places. They definitely need a DE, TE and they could still use a WR. I'm thinking at that point maybe a Derrick Harvey, DE from Florida. I don't think there's a TE to take there. If they go WR, maybe DeSean Jackson from Cal. I don't see a OT. I'd go DE or WR.

Matt, Seattle: Mel, Can you please help me figure out what the Seahawks are doing? Why did they sign Julius Jones instead of drafting a RB? Is TE their biggest need? Could they get Keller or Davis in the second round? thanks!

Mel Kiper: (1:49 PM ET ) To me, you sign Jones for this reason. You need to have another tandem type guy. Do I think Jones is an oustanding back? No. He only averaged 3.6 yards per carry. Barber outplayed him dramatically. Jones only had 500 yards rushing. Barber averaged over a yard more per carry. If I'm a Seahawks fan, I'm not doing cartwheels over that signing. Duckett is a role player as well. To me, TE has been their major need for years. They have been snake bit at TE. They can't find a TE. They've had an interest in some free agent TEs, but have had terrible luck. So yes, TE is their major need. Followed by WR. That's why in the first round, I think you get a Devin Thomas from Michigan State and then look at at TE in the second round.

kim, philly: Mel, what do you see the Redskins doing in the first couple rounds now that they actually have some draft picks? Thanks.

Mel Kiper: (1:50 PM ET ) I think what they're going to do in the first round, you look at a couple of spots. I would say DL would be front and center. Also a versatile OL and a CB. In addition to a WR. Those are the positions of need, as I would size it up for them. I think it's going to fall CB or maybe an OL.

Brian (Tampa, FL): Is Tony Ugoh worth the 29 pick? Doesn't he have a chance to be better than any LT in this year's draft? 1.5 sacks allowed, 1 holding penalty and 1 false start on a team that doesn't help their LT much.

Mel Kiper: (1:52 PM ET ) Ironically, the 49ers got Staley for giving up their 7th and the Colts got Ugoh by giving up their 29th pick to the 49ers. If you're Indy, which LT are you going to get if you're 29? Even with the 7th, Staley made sense. For me, both of those teams faired well with out it unfolded.

Casey (nj): gmen - if kenny phillips is gone, who's comin to big blue in rnd 1? do we go wr again in rnd 2 or 3?

Mel Kiper: (1:53 PM ET ) You went WR in the second last year with Steve Smith. I would say S if you can get Phillips. Kiwanuka is probably going to move back to DE. There are some interesting guys there. Who could they take at that point? I think Keith Rivers is going to be gone. It's too early for Connor from Penn State. That's why I think it's Phillips and then address the LB spot in the second or third.

Bill Cheyenne Wyoming: Can you explain what the Steelers are doing ... with their offensive line .. and how it will impact their 1st round pick .. thanks

Mel Kiper: (1:56 PM ET ) I don't think of what they've done so far, Moore has a role at RB as a backup. I've always liked Moore. He's a nice change of pace. He's got good return skills. In terms of the center spot, you bring in a good player in Hartwig. So, they added a center. Mahan, they have to make a determination there of what they do with him. Pittsburgh is still looking at a guard, like Albert. They also have a need at WR. Maybe a Malcolm Kelly or James Hardy. I would say they go G/T or a big WR.

Bill (Va. Beach, VA): With the Redskins not able to sign DJ Hackett - do you think they will go after a big wide receiver (Limas Sweed) with their first pick or go after a defensive lineman or secondary help?

BOSSHOGG30
03-19-2008, 01:00 PM
I asked myself before I even clicked on this... Do I really care or want to know what Mel Kiper thinks... The guy is a bum!, one of the worst draft "experts" i've ever seen.

For some reason I read anyways... probably due to boredom.... After reading I must say.. Mel Kiper hasn't lost his touch.

Mel... how on earth do you get paid for this? You're an expert? PLEASE!

Stargazer
03-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Bill (Va. Beach, VA): With the Redskins not able to sign DJ Hackett - do you think they will go after a big wide receiver (Limas Sweed) with their first pick or go after a defensive lineman or secondary help?

Mel Kiper: (1:58 PM ET ) I don't think they need to force it. I don't think you always have to say you need a big receiver. There are some good recievers in this league that aren't big. You don't have to have a big receiver. I think some teams try to do that to get a big red zone threat. But Washington doesn't have to force it. I think Sweed is a second round pick.

Vincent (Chicago): Who is the key player that needs to be on the board at #7 for the Pats to get trade-down action on the pick? Ryan, McFadden, Mendenhall?

Mel Kiper: (1:59 PM ET ) Mendenhall will be there. Whether Detroit feels the need to move up remains to be seen. If Ellis is a guy to move up to get, we'll see. Gholston is a hot guy right now. Adrian Peterson was on the board at 7 and no one felt the need to move up to get him. We don't see a lot of trades any more. All this talk of trading up and trading down, I've talked to teams, they don't get a lot of offers. To move up in the draft, they have to pay a fortune.

Stargazer
03-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Mel Kiper: (2:01 PM ET ) We covered a ton of ground again. Now it's a matter of monitoring the individual work outs, which I think are overrated. And it's seeing where the free agents land. My next first round projection comes out April 1.

atwater27
03-19-2008, 01:41 PM
I respect Mel's opinions. he is an expert. I don't know why so many people don't like him.

BOSSHOGG30
03-19-2008, 01:42 PM
I respect Mel's opinions. he is an expert. I don't know why so many people don't like him.

Because he is a moron

atwater27
03-19-2008, 01:58 PM
Because he is a moron

Well if he sucks so bad, why hasn't he been replaced?

BroncoJoe
03-19-2008, 02:00 PM
I can't stand the guy. Maybe it's because of his personality. Probably because of the fact he only gets picks right when there's only two left.

BOSSHOGG30
03-19-2008, 02:09 PM

I wished they would.... There are plenty of guys out there that would do a better job. I think that he only keeps his job because he has been doing it for so long and it is almost like a tradition when it comes to the draft to hear Mel talk about the draft. Not only is he annoying, but 90% of the time he has no idea what he is talking about.

lex
03-19-2008, 02:45 PM
I wished they would.... There are plenty of guys out there that would do a better job. I think that he only keeps his job because he has been doing it for so long and it is almost like a tradition when it comes to the draft to hear Mel talk about the draft. Not only is he annoying, but 90% of the time he has no idea what he is talking about.

To be fair though, Kiper is likely a victim of the dumbing down of E!SPN. Its been happening for a few years now. If you look at NFLN, it provides a much better forum for Mayock to discuss prospects. Im not saying Kiper is better or worse than anyone but I definitely think E!SPN has gone down the tubes and it has taken a lot of people with them.

dogfish
03-19-2008, 03:05 PM

i agree to a certain extent, but one thing that kiper does have going for him is that he has made plenty of friends over his years of doing this, and he does have some pretty solid team sources-- of all that babble, this little snippet was what i found most interesting:

Adrian Peterson was on the board at 7 and no one felt the need to move up to get him. We don't see a lot of trades any more. All this talk of trading up and trading down, I've talked to teams, they don't get a lot of offers. To move up in the draft, they have to pay a fortune.

it goes along with what i've been saying about trading down-- it is indeed very appealing, and i'll be pleased if we can pull it off, but it's a lot easier said than done. . . .

underrated29
03-19-2008, 04:17 PM

The hair. Its totally the hair. The reason why he hasnt been replaced is the hair. There is something about funny looking nfl experts that they must remain with the show. Look at john clayton- he is as funny lookin as they come. But he knows a lot.

Someone made a point about mel i agree with, in the beginning he sucks, but usually when his last mock comes in and during the draft he is really accurate.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-19-2008, 04:25 PM
Yeah, Mel Kiper doesn't suck.

mclark
03-19-2008, 04:39 PM
I think Underrated is right: we hate his hair; and we love his hair. We're conflicted.

Stargazer
03-20-2008, 01:10 AM
Because he is a moron

Moron or not, his opinion does make some sense.

Jeffrey (Denver): Hey Mel! What do you see the Denver Broncos doing?

Mel Kiper: (1:41 PM ET ) They got Bailey, Colbert, they've helped themselves at safety and LB a little bit. But LT, they have to look at. Ryan Clady, maybe. DT, another WR. A LB still. Their needs are fairly significant.

Mel Kiper: (1:42 PM ET ) I think LT is front and center. You have to hope that Cutler has to be consistent. You have to have a LT that can pass protect and give him some time to throw the football.

Scarface
03-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Me and Kiper are on the same page with the Broncos. Hopefully the staff is too.

CoachChaz
03-21-2008, 09:37 AM
Kiper is arrogant and has bad hair, but he knows his stuff. You can take all the best "experts" in the world and none of them are going to predict any better than the other. At least with Kiper, he makes his statements and sticks to them. He doesn't go out on a limb for shock value like Maycock does and he doesn't wait til the last minute and play the suspense game like Gosselin does. He's annoying, but I always like his insight.

Scarface
03-21-2008, 09:41 AM
I don't think Mayock does anything for shock value. I honestly believe that he likes Mendenhall better than McFadden and liked Cutler more than Young and Leinart back in '06.

BroncoAV06
03-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Kiper broke in by making draft guides when he was like 19 and sending them out to teams. He has been doing this most of his life and I sure think that if he was bad that he would be replaced; peoples opinions differ but that sure does not mean they suck at there job.