PDA

View Full Version : Meadows Out, Mustard In

squints
09-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Did not see this posted, if so mods please delete.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=7161

AMHERST, N.Y. -- Less than 24 hours before opening the regular season against the Buffalo Bills, the Broncos continued tweaking their roster, re-signing Chad Mustard while releasing offensive tackle Adam Meadows to make room.

Mustard had been waived at the roster deadline seven days earlier following his training-camp conversion from tight end to right tackle. He played extensively on the offensive line during the preseason games against Dallas and Arizona, particularly in the loss to the Cowboys when injuries to Meadows, Ryan Harris and Matt Lepsis whittled down the team's complement of tackles.

Meadows, who was signed during 2006 training camp, had worked his way up to the first team this summer, moving onto the No. 1 unit during the week of practices against the Cowboys. But during the afternoon session on Aug. 16, he injured his calf muscle during move-the-ball work towards the end of practice.

He did not return to the practice field for the remainder of training camp and would not play throughout the rest of the preseason. Erik Pears, who had been working with the first unit prior to Meadows' ascension, returned to right tackle and would subsequently begin the regular season on the first team at the slot.

Prior to this summer, Mustard's experience at tackle in the NFL came during 2006 organized team activities, when the Broncos worked him out at the position before moving him back to tight end. He subsequently made the team's 2006 roster at the position and started towards the end of the season when the Broncos opened some games in two-tight end formations.

Mustard, who was primarily a short-yardage and goal-line tight end last year, also lined up as an eligible receiver for a goal-to-go play in the preseason loss to the Cowboys on Aug. 18. He becomes the second former Broncos tight end to make the roster as a tackle in the last three years; Dwayne Carswell made the 53-man roster in 2005 after playing tight end for 11 seasons. Left tackle Matt Lepsis also has tight end work on his résumé, but his duties at the position came at the University of Colorado.

Heading into the regular season, the Broncos now have four tackles -- Lepsis, Pears, Mustard and Harris, who has been sidelined with back problems since the Broncos' second week of training camp. Harris, a third-round pick from Notre Dame, did not play in the preseason.

TXBRONC
09-08-2007, 08:12 PM
I hope Mustard can be a solid back up.

squints
09-08-2007, 08:14 PM
I hope Mustard can be a solid back up.

I think he can, I was not sold on Meadows. :confused: But then again I was not sold on Mustard either.

shank
09-08-2007, 08:34 PM
meadows must have really fallen off. keeping a recently converted TE rather than a veteran tackle... it's interesting that we cut mustard and kept meadows, only to swap them now. wonder why it went down like this.

squints
09-08-2007, 08:57 PM
meadows must have really fallen off. keeping a recently converted TE rather than a veteran tackle... it's interesting that we cut mustard and kept meadows, only to swap them now. wonder why it went down like this.

I love your sig. Talk about a butter face.

TXBRONC
09-08-2007, 09:13 PM
I think he can, I was not sold on Meadows. :confused: But then again I was not sold on Mustard either.

Can he be this year? I think he was offensive line at one point in his career ( I think the college ranks) so he could be pretty rusty and if hasn't played it before it will take him some to learn the positions.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
09-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Man, we need some OT depth. What was the consensus opinion on Chris Kuper's work at RT?

TXBRONC
09-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Man, we need some OT depth. What was the consensus opinion on Chris Kuper's work at RT?

I haven't seen anything in print that says one way or the other.

dogfish
09-08-2007, 10:03 PM
well, at least mustard has a chance to be healthy for more than two games, but either way our tackle depth is just AWFUL. . . we'd better pray lepsis and pears can stay healthy all year!

rcsodak
09-08-2007, 11:15 PM
I'm worried about the students just up the street....

....if their math teacher gets sick/injured, Mustard would have stepped in for him.....

Myself, I like the 'trade'. Mustard is younger, and doesn't have the injury history that meadows has. Plus, he'll be an added weapon on the goalline.

sneakers
09-08-2007, 11:27 PM

This mustard aint yellow. Everyone was arguing about him being on the team last year too.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-09-2007, 01:18 AM
Signing Meadows was nothing but a happy go lucky, "potential" signing. He was consistently bothered by shoulder injuries (reported by Andrew Mason) and his injuries have lingered on through camp and pre-season as well. It's a beautiful day that he's off the team.

Via draft or free agency, Denver will find a tackle. With Lepsis getting up there in age, Harris being hurt (but impressive to the coaches) and Pears being in a contract year, we're going to need another body there for at least insurance, if not starting capability. We've lucked out that this is a fantastic class at the position if we go that route as well. Even though we have Harris, getting another young gun couldn't hurt.

Broncos Mtnman
09-09-2007, 01:31 AM
Very interesting.

I don't hink Mustard getting the job means he is all that good, but rather that Meadows was all that bad.

I would expect us to pick up another O-line player during the season to add to the depth.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-09-2007, 02:01 AM
Problem is, there isn't anyone worth adding. Any significant addition will have to wait until free agency or the draft.

topscribe
09-09-2007, 02:42 AM
This mustard aint yellow. Everyone was arguing about him being on the team last year too.
:lol: Post of the night.

:first:

-----

Lonestar
09-09-2007, 03:21 AM
Chad was If memory serves correct Lineman through out his football career, mikey in his infinite wisdom just trying to convert/make someone into something they are not. TE. Just going back to his natural position nothing more or less. As someone mentioned he will be another soft handed tackle eligible near the goal.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
09-09-2007, 03:31 AM
Chad was If memory serves correct Lineman through out his football career, mikey in his infinite wisdom just trying to convert/make someone into something they are not. TE. Just going back to his natural position nothing more or less. As someone mentioned he will be another soft handed tackle eligible near the goal.

I dunno Jr. If we don't count Mustard, we have zero backup OTs. I think he's our primary backup as it stands, until Harris gets back at least. It's pretty damn frightful really.

Lonestar
09-09-2007, 10:57 AM
I dunno Jr. If we don't count Mustard, we have zero backup OTs. I think he's our primary backup as it stands, until Harris gets back at least. It's pretty damn frightful really.

But if he is not there, who do we have?

I'm not saying he is the ANSWER but right now he is all we have. He at least understands the basic play book. I think he will be at best a an emergency spare tire, you know a donut spare.

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick IMHO.