PDA

View Full Version : Pat Bowlen: "I.........AM THE CHECK."

WARHORSE
03-18-2008, 01:09 AM
To all the Shanny haters.............take a listen to the BOSS speak.

The move to fire their general manager less than a month into free agency and six weeks before the NFL draft has cast the Broncos in some circles as a club in disarray.
But things are just the opposite, owner Pat Bowlen said Monday.
In some respects, it's a smooth transition. The team already had rid itself this offseason of "dysfunctional" elements among the players and coaches. The purge merely rose to the front-office level this time with Ted Sundquist's exit last week.
It's now Bowlen's fervent hope a sense of calm can prevail and move the Broncos forward into a productive future.
"I didn't think it was a healthy situation," Bowlen said, explaining a communication breakdown between Mike Shanahan, the coach and head of football operations, and Sundquist was addressed as far back as the end of the 2006 season but didn't improve.
Bowlen, who just returned to town after a series of meetings as the NFL owners' labor head, added that while he shared a healthy communication level with his top two personnel executives, Shanahan and Sundquist's relationship was marred by an obvious personality clash. And, with Shanahan "the top guy in that part of the building," Bowlen sided with his football operations chief.
"I often, in my business and football careers, have had to get rid of people I couldn't get along with or communicate with, and I think it was a classic case of that," Bowlen said.
With Sundquist out of the picture, player personnel director Jim Goodman, assistant general manager Jeff Goodman and chief operating officer Joe Ellis will have expanded roles in the decision-making process.
Skeptics, though, envision Shanahan having an even more all-encompassing role in the team's power structure.
But such a viewpoint perhaps fails to consider Bowlen's overriding influence, which appears to have grown this offseason. The team's more restrained approach to free agency, given past failures, was almost entirely at Bowlen's behest. He even intervened in tricky negotiations aimed at retaining popular safety John Lynch.
"It's a misconception," Bowlen said of the perception Shanahan has an autocratic role with the Broncos. "I'm 10 steps from Mike's office, so Mike doesn't have the ultimate power. I'm not off somewhere else. I'm here every day. I have a job. Mike and I discuss a lot of things, just like Joe Ellis and I discuss a lot of things on the business side."
So, he insisted, Shanahan does not have unchecked power.
"I am the check," Bowlen said.
And as the one who signs the checks, it's his prerogative to become more involved, a notion he said "perhaps" is the case this year.
"I'm not used to - and I don't mean this in any braggadocios fashion at all - going 7-9 and missing the playoffs," Bowlen said. "That's not what I'm in the business for. It's no fun at all. And that does get my attention. . . . I want to return to the glory days. I'm not satisfied without having a very significant opportunity to win it all."
He joked his increased involvement "might make it worse" but noted that's part of his responsibility as owner.
"I'm not going to sit still," he said. "This is what I do for a living."
As for the rest of the power structure, Bowlen said he's pleased with the current setup. The player-evaluation area has gotten younger, and "I think we needed that." He was "happy to see" some coaching changes, moves that included Jim Bates' exit as head of the defense and offensive boss Mike Heimer- dinger's decision to return to Tennessee.
As for the seemingly odd timing of Sundquist's departure, Bowlen believes the shake-up "will have minimal effect."
"I don't want to all of a sudden disenfranchise Ted, either," Bowlen said. "Ted's a bright guy, and he deserves credit for being a bright guy. But we have a number of people in that particular area that are working their butts off right now. So I'm not anxiety ridden about it at all."
On the field, the Broncos have signed linebackers Niko Koutouvides and Boss Bailey, safeties Marlon McCree and Marquand Manuel and receiver Keary Colbert, while retaining several of their own free agents, including Lynch, who restructured his deal to stay.
Bowlen believes the club has gone a long way toward correcting - and here again is the word making the rounds at Dove Valley - a dysfunctional season and playing environment, though there's still much work to do.
"For an extended period of time, we brought in big-name guys and a lot of them didn't measure up," he said. "I'm happy with the direction we're going. I've met most, if not all, the free agents we've brought in, and at this stage, I'm pretty comfortable with where we're at."

WARHORSE
03-18-2008, 01:12 AM
Didnt see this posted, so I posted.

I loved hearin this, and am not lookin forward to the comments to come, but Im sittin here with a BIG.........FAT..........SMUG..........grin on my face, cause Bowlen has stated what Ive stated all along.

Pat Bowlen is the Wizard of Oz..............not Shanny.

LOL!

shank
03-18-2008, 01:14 AM
i, for one, will say that it's freaking excellent if pat is speaking the truth...

seriously... how sweet would it be if he's being completely honeest in this article?

anyway, i'm optomistic that we'll get some nice trades and a good draft this offseason.... come on shanny!

NameUsedBefore
03-18-2008, 01:23 AM
Hm... do you think Ted got the news while bagging a Payday from the vending machine?

On a serious note:

"I'm not used to - and I don't mean this in any braggadocios fashion at all - going 7-9 and missing the playoffs," Bowlen said. "That's not what I'm in the business for. It's no fun at all. And that does get my attention. . . . I want to return to the glory days. I'm not satisfied without having a very significant opportunity to win it all."

<3 Bowlen.

DenBronx
03-18-2008, 01:27 AM
eh.....ooooooooookay....

...bowlen is being double minded here. earlier in the offseason he complained about signing checks now he is boasting about it.

"i'm 10 steps from shanny"
"mikey doesnt have the ultimate power"
"i am the check"
"Shanahan and Sundquist's relationship was marred by an obvious personality clash"

shannys and teds relationship was marred by a personality clash??? uh no it wasnt it was marred because we spent a gagillion dollars last year and went 7-9 while these guys sat on the bench.

"Bowlen sided with his football operations chief"

really who's that since your discrediting shanny?

"With Sundquist out of the picture, player personnel director Jim Goodman, assistant general manager Jeff Goodman and chief operating officer Joe Ellis will have expanded roles in the decision-making process."

hmmmm...looks like bowlen is trying to bring the heat...

WARHORSE
03-18-2008, 01:27 AM
" I want to return to the glory days. I'm not satisfied without having a very.......significant ........opportunity........ to win it all."

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/warhorse001/headbanger.gifPat Bowlen ROCKS.http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/warhorse001/headbanger.gif

WARHORSE
03-18-2008, 01:29 AM
eh.....ooooooooookay....

...bowlen is being double minded here. earlier in the offseason he complained about signing checks now he is boasting about it.

"i'm 10 steps from shanny"
"mikey doesnt have the ultimate power"
"i am the check"
"Shanahan and Sundquist's relationship was marred by an obvious personality clash"

shannys and teds relationship was marred by a personality clash??? uh no it wasnt it was marred because we spent a gagillion dollars last year and went 7-9 while these guys sat on the bench.

"Bowlen sided with his football operations chief"

really who's that since your discrediting shanny?

"With Sundquist out of the picture, player personnel director Jim Goodman, assistant general manager Jeff Goodman and chief operating officer Joe Ellis will have expanded roles in the decision-making process."

hmmmm...looks like bowlen is trying to bring the heat...

What he said had NOTHING to do with signing checks.:confused:

DenBronx
03-18-2008, 01:33 AM
" I want to return to the glory days. I'm not satisfied without having a very.......significant ........opportunity........ to win it all.":

of course he does...what owner doesnt???

shank
03-18-2008, 01:37 AM

i'd like to say none, but there are teams with cap room to spare that continue to play at the bottom of the league... there are owners out there who are happy with the money they are making now and have no interest on spending more to make more...

i too am happy to hear words such as these come out of pat's face... because i believe him...

DenBronx
03-18-2008, 01:39 AM
i'd like to say none, but there are teams with cap room to spare that continue to play at the bottom of the league... there are owners out there who are happy with the money they are making now and have no interest on spending more to make more...

i too am happy to hear words such as these come out of pat's face... because i believe him...

i think bowlen just wants the money to be spent wisely. so now it looks as if he is trying to get more involved than before.

dogfish
03-18-2008, 01:41 AM
hmmm. . . .

i'm cautiously optimistic about bowlen taking a more vocal/public role in shaping the team's philosophy-- admitting that something was broken was a long-overdue and utterly crucial first step towards getting it fixed. . . the heavy lifting's not done, though-- he still needs to find a REAL top-notch personnel guy who can build a team that can compete in today's NFL on the highest level, and for the long haul. . . until that happens, this is all nothing more than TALK, and results speak much louder than words. . . every year, pretty much EVERY team that wasn't competitive the year before has big, brave plans for the next season-- but you still have to go out and prove it. . . .

WARHORSE
03-18-2008, 02:40 AM

Want me to name them all?

All those that rebuild instead of shooting for the SB each year?:rolleyes:

WARHORSE
03-18-2008, 02:42 AM
i think bowlen just wants the money to be spent wisely. so now it looks as if he is trying to get more involved than before.

Thats so blind.

Pat Bowlens office didnt get ten steps away this year. Its ALWAYs been that close.

Bowlen has always been involved.

Bowlen runs the show.

Period.

WARHORSE
03-18-2008, 02:48 AM
BOWLEN BACKS SHANAHAN

To begin, Pat Bowlen has always liked Ted Sundquist.
Thought he did a good job as the Broncos' general manager. Wished it had not reached the point where Sundquist was fired last week by Mike Shanahan, the Broncos' head coach and executive vice president of football operations.
He knows Sundquist was hurt by the decision and feels for him, but based on a soured relationship he understands why the decision was made.
"But Ted was the general manager and Mike is the vice president of football operations, so Ted works for Mike," Bowlen said Monday. "There was in my mind a dysfunctional relationship between the head coach and the general manager. Not that they didn't like each other. It just didn't seem the proper chemistry was there. I'm not blaming either party."
Since Sundquist's dismissal last Wednesday, Shanahan has been widely criticized by media and fans as a power-hungry football dictator, with Bowlen portrayed as a permissive mark.
Bowlen said the reality is quite different and that Shanahan made no changes after the disappointing 2007 season without first getting approval from him.
"The changes you see are changes that I told Mike he's got to make," Bowlen said. "I wasn't specific with him. I didn't say, 'Mike, you've got to fire your defensive coordinator.' I'm not going to start making those kinds of calls. But we both agreed we needed to make significant changes across the board, including in the locker room where we had some bad guys. So we've been going through that process and I'm comfortable with where we're at."
Yes, Shanahan is on his third offensive coordinator in three years, but Gary Kubiak was his right-hand man for 11 years until he became head coach three years ago for the Houston Texans. Yes, Shanahan is on his third defensive coordinator in three years, but raise those hands for those who thought Jim Bates and his system were a good fit here. "First of all, we had a bad season, a 7-9 season in a relatively
Post Poll - So Long, Sundquisthttp://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2008/0313/20080313_032954_PollSundquist031208a.jpg (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8551034) Ted Sundquist is out as general manager of the Denver Broncos, the team announced March 12. What do you think of the move? (Read the story (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8551034).)
Love it: You know what they say about too many cooks. Like it: But something's fishy; the draft is less than seven weeks away. Loathe it: The brains of the outfit have up and left Dove Valley. Don't get it: What would the Broncos do with a GM? Mike Shanahan calls all the shots.
dysfunctional locker room and a coaching staff that I think everybody would agree was not in sync," Bowlen said. "That will bring out these kinds of problems.

"When the season was over, Mike and I had a number of discussions of how we were going to right the ship. It went from players to coaches to football personnel. That's just part of what you do, because I'm not in this business to have seasons like we did last season."
It was Sundquist's firing that incinerated the strongest response. How long had this dysfunctional relationship between Shanahan and his GM been going on? There seemed to be no complaints in 2005, when the Broncos went 13-3 and reached the AFC championship game.
"There are two sides to every story," Sundquist said. "I wish the Broncos well."
A little more than halfway through Sundquist's fifth season as GM, the Broncos had compiled an aggregate 49-24 record. The Broncos enter 2008, however, having lost 14 of their past 23 games and having missed the playoffs two years in a row. Internal friction at Dove Valley intensified to the point Shanahan felt it was hurting the organization's ability to do business.
"Ted was an important part of the equation, but there had to be a good communication there or else it wasn't going to be satisfactory to me," Bowlen said.
With Sundquist gone, agents have been dealing with Jeff Goodman, who as assistant general manager has been the new point man in contract negotiations and trade talks. Jim Goodman, Jeff's father, has been spearheading the team's plan for the upcoming draft.
"I'm not a bit anxiety-ridden about that situation," Bowlen said. Nor did the critical storm that moved in on Shanahan last week cause Bowlen to lose confidence in the man coaching his team and running his football operations. "He's here and he's going to stay here," Bowlen said. "Nobody, I can tell you nobody in this building, myself included, is more concerned and more attentive to what the heck's happened here and how we get back on top than Mike Shanahan."

WARHORSE
03-18-2008, 02:51 AM
"Nobody, I can tell you nobody in this building, myself included, is more concerned and more attentive to what the heck's happened here and how we get back on top than Mike Shanahan."

dogfish
03-18-2008, 03:07 AM
Read it and weep

thanks for posting the articles-- i enjyed reading them-- but what's to weep about? i'm going to weep if we have under season at or below .500. . . .

WARHORSE
03-18-2008, 04:13 AM
Tears of JEoy.

fcspikeit
03-18-2008, 04:15 AM
Thats so blind.

Pat Bowlens office didnt get ten steps away this year. Its ALWAYs been that close.

Bowlen has always been involved.

Bowlen runs the show.

Period.

What is blind about it?

The whole article is talking about Pat taking a "more" active roll then he had before..

"But such a viewpoint perhaps fails to consider Bowlen's overriding influence, which appears to have grown this offseason. The team's more restrained approach to free agency, given past failures, was almost entirely at Bowlen's behest. He even intervened in tricky negotiations aimed at retaining popular safety John Lynch."

"And as the one who signs the checks, it's his prerogative to become more involved, a notion he said "perhaps" is the case this year.
"I'm not used to"

There you have it... Pat is taking back some control from Mikey... But make no mistake about it, Shanahan fired Jim and Ted..

"To begin, Pat Bowlen has always liked Ted Sundquist.
Thought he did a good job as the Broncos' general manager. Wished it had not reached the point where Sundquist was fired last week by Mike Shanahan, the Broncos' head coach and executive vice president of football operations."

"The changes you see are changes that I told Mike he's got to make," Bowlen said. "I wasn't specific with him. I didn't say, 'Mike, you've got to fire your defensive coordinator.' I'm not going to start making those kinds of calls. But we both agreed we needed to make significant changes across the board,"

There it is, Pat told Mikey, "I will not except being a loser! We have to fix the problem!" Shanahan then went and fired Jim and Ted blaming them for the problem... How is this different then what we have been saying?

Pat is telling Mike, you have the power to fix this problem, Go fix it! There are no scapegoats left for Mikey to blame for our drafting and FA failure's. If there is no improvement, over the next couple years, you can bet your ass Pat will get someone who will turn things around..

This is great news! It means Shanahan no longer has a life time contract, it means Pat is looking over his shoulder. Pat has taken back Mikey's free pass...

Time to put up and show me why your worthy of being the GM of MY Denver Broncos Mikey!

I love it!!! :elefant:

claymore
03-18-2008, 05:11 AM
Great article War. For the Shanny Haters, there isnt enough time in the day for him to do all you blame him for.

I like all the moves. Like the signings, and like the losses to include the front office.

gobroncsnv
03-18-2008, 07:14 AM
I hope that they don't get caught up in trying to just fix the team from the front office, without getting the right players where we need them. This is a little bit of a catch 22... Our personnel moves for about 6 of the last 8 seasons have been pretty crappy, obviously with a few notable exceptions. But these guys have to show that they can now start going after our gaping holes, especially on the dline. They did a really bad job on what has been our largest problem over the past 10 years.
There has also been quite a large share of bad luck as well, regarding injuries... Walker, Lepsis (now retired, I know), Nalen, Hamilton, etc, so I don't discount this as a factor in our "success" over the past few years. No doubt, it doesn't hurt to be lucky AND good.
If these moves in the FO are what it is going to take to turn this ship around, then rock on. But they need to work on building a team that does more than look good on paper, and financially. End of the day, in some of our most key areas, we have a lack of talent that has to be addressed. We had a crummy dline with Coyer, worse with Bates. Slowik's not gonna fix that either. Go get us some players. FINALLY!!!!

claymore
03-18-2008, 07:46 AM
The March 12 firing of Broncos GM Ted Sundquist eliminated a scapegoat for the team’s recent struggles, and angry fans will now be able to direct their outrage squarely at head coach Mike Shanahan, who has been making the personnel decisions all along, we're told. He may not be on the hot seat yet, but if the team gets off to a slow start and appears bound to miss the postseason for a third straight year, Shanahan might wish he still had Sundquist around to deflect some of the criticism. We’re told that the two men were not getting along recently.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2008/whispers031508.htm
I know there was a "Communication Breakdown", but Im curious as to why?

Was Shanny pissed because all the scrubs Ted was bringing in? Background checks, scouting? Maybe all three.

atwater27
03-18-2008, 09:36 AM
I wish we kept Gerard Warren I wish we kept Gerard Warren I wish we kept Gerard Warren I wish we kept Gerard Warren I wish we kept Gerard Warren I wish we kept Gerard Warren I wish we kept Gerard Warren I wish we kept Gerard Warren I wish we kept Gerard Warren I wish we kept Gerard Warren I wish we kept Gerard Warren I wish we kept Gerard Warren

SmilinAssasSin27
03-18-2008, 09:46 AM
I wish we kept Gerard Warren I wish we kept Gerard Warren I wish we kept Gerard Warren I wish we kept Gerard Warren I wish we kept Gerard Warren I wish we kept Gerard Warren I wish we kept Gerard Warren I wish we kept Gerard Warren I wish we kept Gerard Warren I wish we kept Gerard Warren I wish we kept Gerard Warren I wish we kept Gerard Warren

I agree with everything you said in that post.:salute:

Bronco9798
03-18-2008, 09:54 AM
Tough to read all of that jumbled up like that. I had to move on.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-18-2008, 09:58 AM
Of course, Pat knows what is going on. He is the owner; therefore, he is not going to sit back and let Mike do whatever he feels like, and if Mike's decisions ruin the team, does anyone really think that would be OK with Pat - I think not.

atwater27
03-18-2008, 10:00 AM
Looks like the pecker at PFT is all over this story. He says it is the writing on the wall for Shanahan. If I were Mike, I would just openly ask Florio to step outside and duke it out. Or ask for a date. Either way, Florio is obsessed with Shanny.

LRtagger
03-18-2008, 10:17 AM
"Nobody, I can tell you nobody in this building, myself included, is more concerned and more attentive to what the heck's happened here and how we get back on top than Mike Shanahan."

I figured that was a no-brainer. His job depends on this team turning things around for the better...why would he not be the guy with the most concern to do so?

BroncoJoe
03-18-2008, 10:29 AM

Was Shanny pissed because all the scrubs Ted was bringing in? Background checks, scouting? Maybe all three.

I'm guessing all three, plus philosophical differences in how to move forward personnel wise from here too. Maybe Ted was targeting the same old same old that we've gone after in free agency.

tubby
03-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Broncos or Die!!!!

:salute:

WARHORSE
03-18-2008, 11:56 AM
What is blind about it?

The whole article is talking about Pat taking a "more" active roll then he had before..

Actually, thats speculation on behalf of the reporter.

All Im saying is, hes not doing more, cause what hes doing now, he has always done. He has always been very involved in his franchise, and as he stated, he has a JOB to do, one he takes very seriously.

He does not look at Mike Shanahan as the problem, and since hes the one who continuously writes the checks, I pretty much think he takes a GOOD look at what hes doing day in and day out.

But like you, I loved the article.

Watchthemiddle
03-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Whatever the case, I just hope Bowlen doesn't take so much of a roll that he turns into Al Davis or Jerry Jones.

fcspikeit
03-18-2008, 12:54 PM

I hope it was Ted's fault! I just want the problem fixed.. Shanahan has proven he is a great "coach" I think some times it hurts him as a coach because he has to be so involved with the GM duties. I know we had Ted but all he seemed to be was a guy who gathered info for Shanahan.. That is the way I believe Mikey wanted it..

If we had a GM who could be trusted to make the decisions, Shanahan could do what he does best. Coach the football team..

fcspikeit
03-18-2008, 01:07 PM
Actually, thats speculation on behalf of the reporter.

All Im saying is, hes not doing more, cause what hes doing now, he has always done. He has always been very involved in his franchise, and as he stated, he has a JOB to do, one he takes very seriously.

He does not look at Mike Shanahan as the problem, and since hes the one who continuously writes the checks, I pretty much think he takes a GOOD look at what hes doing day in and day out.

But like you, I loved the article.

Some of the comments I highlighted were from the writer... Not all, but some were..

Either way, what does that mean? The writer was sitting there talking to Pat.. The impression he got from the interview was the same as what I got.. Pat is taking a more active roll then he had before.. Pat came out earlier in the year and stated we were going to take a different approach in FA, how many times has he said that in the past?

Why is it so hard to believe Pat is now taking back some control? If nothing else he took some control away from Mikey in FA... What Pat is doing is saying, now you can't just do what ever you want like in years past, Now you will build my team as I see best.. He never came out and said that in the past..

The whole point of all this is to let everyone know, I am in control. When has he ever said that before? All he has ever said was I trust Mike and I will back what ever he does. He is no longer saying that..

That is indeed great news!

Lonestar
03-18-2008, 05:20 PM
I see it as Pat has spoken and mikey is or better be listening..

While Pats door is ten feet from mikeys he IMO has allowed pretty much free reign with his contract for life comment some years back.

Now does that mean he has never tighten the collar on mikeys choke chain probably not.. But I see this as you think you can do it by yourself you have a year to right eh ship under the following guideline no more bank breaking FA contract , no more questionable characters guys and you better hit home runs in the draft.. Or I'll be hiring a NEW GM next year to fix it..

Now that is how I read this years off season..

Of course he is going to side with his HC and VP publicly. DO you really expect him to publicly flog him.. I'd give a to be a fly on the wall listening to these PAT and mikey discussions..

I can not understand why a few of you want to continue the experiment of NO real GM and the HC holding all the football power in the organization. When it has not worked consistently elsewhere..

Sounds like Pat has given mikey that good Ole Vote of Confidence to me..

we all know how that works out don't we..

dogfish
03-18-2008, 05:51 PM
i wish bowlen would have said something tougher than "i am the check". . . "i am the LAWGIVER" would have been so much cooler. . . .

pipes
03-18-2008, 07:00 PM
i wish bowlen would have said something tougher than "i am the check". . . "i am the LAWGIVER" would have been so much cooler. . . .

Yeah but Shanny wrote Pat's speech. :deal:

dogfish
03-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Yeah but Shanny wrote Pat's speech. :deal:

:lol: :lol:

probably true. . . .

Rogue
03-18-2008, 07:44 PM
To all the Shanny haters.............take a listen to the BOSS speak.

The move to fire their general manager less than a month into free agency and six weeks before the NFL draft has cast the Broncos in some circles as a club in disarray.
But things are just the opposite, owner Pat Bowlen said Monday.
In some respects, it's a smooth transition. The team already had rid itself this offseason of "dysfunctional" elements among the players and coaches. The purge merely rose to the front-office level this time with Ted Sundquist's exit last week.
It's now Bowlen's fervent hope a sense of calm can prevail and move the Broncos forward into a productive future.
"I didn't think it was a healthy situation," Bowlen said, explaining a communication breakdown between Mike Shanahan, the coach and head of football operations, and Sundquist was addressed as far back as the end of the 2006 season but didn't improve.
Bowlen, who just returned to town after a series of meetings as the NFL owners' labor head, added that while he shared a healthy communication level with his top two personnel executives, Shanahan and Sundquist's relationship was marred by an obvious personality clash. And, with Shanahan "the top guy in that part of the building," Bowlen sided with his football operations chief.
"I often, in my business and football careers, have had to get rid of people I couldn't get along with or communicate with, and I think it was a classic case of that," Bowlen said.
With Sundquist out of the picture, player personnel director Jim Goodman, assistant general manager Jeff Goodman and chief operating officer Joe Ellis will have expanded roles in the decision-making process.
Skeptics, though, envision Shanahan having an even more all-encompassing role in the team's power structure.
But such a viewpoint perhaps fails to consider Bowlen's overriding influence, which appears to have grown this offseason. The team's more restrained approach to free agency, given past failures, was almost entirely at Bowlen's behest. He even intervened in tricky negotiations aimed at retaining popular safety John Lynch.
"It's a misconception," Bowlen said of the perception Shanahan has an autocratic role with the Broncos. "I'm 10 steps from Mike's office, so Mike doesn't have the ultimate power. I'm not off somewhere else. I'm here every day. I have a job. Mike and I discuss a lot of things, just like Joe Ellis and I discuss a lot of things on the business side."
So, he insisted, Shanahan does not have unchecked power.
"I am the check," Bowlen said.
And as the one who signs the checks, it's his prerogative to become more involved, a notion he said "perhaps" is the case this year.
He joked his increased involvement "might make it worse" but noted that's part of his responsibility as owner.
"I'm not going to sit still," he said. "This is what I do for a living."
As for the rest of the power structure, Bowlen said he's pleased with the current setup. The player-evaluation area has gotten younger, and "I think we needed that." He was "happy to see" some coaching changes, moves that included Jim Bates' exit as head of the defense and offensive boss Mike Heimer- dinger's decision to return to Tennessee.
As for the seemingly odd timing of Sundquist's departure, Bowlen believes the shake-up "will have minimal effect."
"I don't want to all of a sudden disenfranchise Ted, either," Bowlen said. "Ted's a bright guy, and he deserves credit for being a bright guy. But we have a number of people in that particular area that are working their butts off right now. So I'm not anxiety ridden about it at all."
On the field, the Broncos have signed linebackers Niko Koutouvides and Boss Bailey, safeties Marlon McCree and Marquand Manuel and receiver Keary Colbert, while retaining several of their own free agents, including Lynch, who restructured his deal to stay.
Bowlen believes the club has gone a long way toward correcting - and here again is the word making the rounds at Dove Valley - a dysfunctional season and playing environment, though there's still much work to do.
"For an extended period of time, we brought in big-name guys and a lot of them didn't measure up," he said. "I'm happy with the direction we're going. I've met most, if not all, the free agents we've brought in, and at this stage, I'm pretty comfortable with where we're at."

Dang.....Where is Zam when you need him........Warhorse....email this to him :D

broncosfanscott
03-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the articles.......nice read. I know that the organization is beginning to change its way of thinking in the offseason, so it is nice to see that Bowlen is just reiterating as to who runs the show. We are just going to have to wait and see how things turn out.

BeefStew25
03-18-2008, 09:32 PM
So, in review, Bowlen does in fact own the Broncos.

Lonestar
03-18-2008, 10:13 PM
So, in review, Bowlen does in fact own the Broncos.

Until the past few weeks I was begining to wonder..

WARHORSE
03-19-2008, 02:26 PM
I see it as Pat has spoken and mikey is or better be listening..

While Pats door is ten feet from mikeys he IMO has allowed pretty much free reign with his contract for life comment some years back.

Now does that mean he has never tighten the collar on mikeys choke chain probably not.. But I see this as you think you can do it by yourself you have a year to right eh ship under the following guideline no more bank breaking FA contract , no more questionable characters guys and you better hit home runs in the draft.. Or I'll be hiring a NEW GM next year to fix it..

Now that is how I read this years off season..

Of course he is going to side with his HC and VP publicly. DO you really expect him to publicly flog him.. I'd give a to be a fly on the wall listening to these PAT and mikey discussions..

I can not understand why a few of you want to continue the experiment of NO real GM and the HC holding all the football power in the organization. When it has not worked consistently elsewhere..

Sounds like Pat has given mikey that good Ole Vote of Confidence to me..

we all know how that works out don't we..

You forgot this part:

"I'm not a bit anxiety-ridden about that situation," Bowlen said. Nor did the critical storm that moved in on Shanahan last week cause Bowlen to lose confidence in the man coaching his team and running his football operations. "He's here and he's going to stay here,"

Doesnt sound to me like Shanny has anything to worry about for the next however many years he wants to coach here. It actually sounds to me like Bowlen has not wavered a single stitch in his confidence in Shanahan.

WARHORSE
03-19-2008, 02:28 PM

Or....he could have said: 'I......am the check...........Is THAT CLEAR????"

:shocked:

Crystal.

Lonestar
03-19-2008, 02:46 PM
You forgot this part:

"I'm not a bit anxiety-ridden about that situation," Bowlen said. Nor did the critical storm that moved in on Shanahan last week cause Bowlen to lose confidence in the man coaching his team and running his football operations. "He's here and he's going to stay here,"

Doesnt sound to me like Shanny has anything to worry about for the next however many years he wants to coach here. It actually sounds to me like Bowlen has not wavered a single stitch in his confidence in Shanahan.

For all you mikey can't do anything wrong fans, I'm sure you can drink your orange koolade and be content with this ego maniac running the team into the ground with his personnel decisions..

For those of us that think the guy is a great Head Coach and offensive Wizard, we see it as a vote of confidence and one year to turn this around..

Except for 4 last second heroic FGs last year.

We would be picking number 2 or 3 depending on a coin flip.. I think Pat finally figured that out that our drafting rank of LAST is what has caused this debacle..

BOSSHOGG30
03-19-2008, 02:48 PM
You forgot this part:

I wouldn't buy to much into the statement Pat Bowlen made supporting Shanahan because just a few months before that I remember reading an article, I believe in the DP, were Bowlen said that neither Ted or Shanahan had to worry about their jobs.... yet Ted has his walking papers.

BroncoJoe
03-19-2008, 02:52 PM
...be content with this ego maniac running the team into the ground with his personnel decisions...

Before Shanahan: 0-4 in Superbowls. Blown out in each and every one.
After Shanahan: 2-0 in Superbowls. One a blow out win.

I'll cut him some slack.

BOSSHOGG30
03-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Shanahan is one of the best head coaches in the NFL and NFL History. He just needs to stick to head coaching and let a GM be the GM. There aren't many teams who do well when the head coach has total control.

BroncoJoe
03-19-2008, 03:11 PM
He's basically had full control since he's been here. At worst, I think he has realized big budget/big name players aren't the answer anymore. Especially via trade. I'm willing to wait and see what happens this year.

fcspikeit
03-19-2008, 03:25 PM
He's basically had full control since he's been here. At worst, I think he has realized big budget/big name players aren't the answer anymore. Especially via trade. I'm willing to wait and see what happens this year.

He realized that? Huh..... What was the reason pat set him down again? :confused:

Lonestar
03-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Before Shanahan: 0-4 in Superbowls. Blown out in each and every one.
After Shanahan: 2-0 in Superbowls. One a blow out win.

I'll cut him some slack.

You see that is the problem, he won those super bowls with IMO 4 HOF players
John
TD
Sharpe
Zimmerman

perhaps a 5th in Rod.

Since then he has done squat in the playoffs unless you count getting our heads handed to us in by Indy TWICE and PIT ass kicking we got in 2006.

Sorry but this is the NFL Not for Long league..

BroncoJoe
03-19-2008, 04:02 PM
I guess we all see things through our own "whatever" colored glasses.

fcspikeit
03-19-2008, 04:11 PM
I guess we all see things through our own "whatever" colored glasses.

As far as his coaching go's, I agree with you about cutting him some slack.. He is a good/great coach, he has proven that..

As for his GM skills, He has proven anything but that... He could be an even better coach if he had a good GM bringing in the talent through the draft..

Lonestar
03-19-2008, 04:24 PM
As far as his coaching go's, I agree with you about cutting him some slack.. He is a good/great coach, he has proven that..

As for his GM skills, He has proven anything but that... He could be an even better coach if he had a good GM bringing in the talent through the draft..

That is what I have been preaching since hitting the boards in 2003.

Great coach that sucks in personnel..

But one wonders why he was able to find all of these good UDFA's he brought in or maybe it was just quantity that did that. Yet sucked in making choices on DAFT day..

Same college scouting department. Maybe he just chokes with 15 minutes to chose with?

Maybe he justs falls in love a with a player and reaches for them.. Clarett, watts, watson, mcgriff, oneal, middlebroken, cole, toviesssi, ashley, dorrest davis, Foister, pierce, lessuer. HIXON although the super bowl kind of proved he was right there, but screwed the pooch getting rid of him.

Something is off, I'm not sure what it is.

TXBRONC
03-19-2008, 05:23 PM
You see that is the problem, he won those super bowls with IMO 4 HOF players
John
TD
Sharpe
Zimmerman

perhaps a 5th in Rod.

Since then he has done squat in the playoffs unless you count getting our heads handed to us in by Indy TWICE and PIT ass kicking we got in 2006.

Sorry but this is the NFL Not for Long league..

Yep unfortunately Shanahan made the mistake of have Jake Plummer be the quarterback in all of those losses. Go figure. :coffee:

WARHORSE
03-19-2008, 05:57 PM
For all you mikey can't do anything wrong fans, I'm sure you can drink your orange koolade and be content with this ego maniac running the team into the ground with his personnel decisions..

For those of us that think the guy is a great Head Coach and offensive Wizard, we see it as a vote of confidence and one year to turn this around..

Except for 4 last second heroic FGs last year.

We would be picking number 2 or 3 depending on a coin flip.. I think Pat finally figured that out that our drafting rank of LAST is what has caused this debacle..

I happen to like orange koolade.

As for running this team into the ground?

Your head is up your okole.

Bowlen is the man behind it all, and Shanahan a winner, period.

If having a draft ranking of LAST is what opened Bowlens eyes, sure is funny that he didnt fire the man (according to you) behind all the personel decisions. By not firing Shanny, and by coming into the spotlight to specifically shut up reporters like Klis, Bowlen not only shows his support for Shanahan, but reminds everyone (except those with 'MS SUCKS' glasses on) that HE, is the one calling the shots around here.

More koolade please.:coffee:

WARHORSE
03-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Isnt it funny no one mentions the past two drafts when hatin on Shannys GM decisions?

Isnt it funny that they dont mention all the free agents he brought in that contributed to the superbowl winning teams?

Dont be a hater.

Lonestar
03-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Isnt it funny no one mentions the past two drafts when hatin on Shannys GM decisions?

Isnt it funny that they dont mention all the free agents he brought in that contributed to the superbowl winning teams?

Dont be a hater.

The fact is mikey was ahead on the wave back then and picked up some real bargains but then everyone saw what we had accomplished and jumped on the band wagon..

Where are all the great FA's since the supper bowl years?
Few and far between..

Do you really think that the last two drafts were not influenced by Bates last year with 3 of 4 picks on the DL? something mikey had not done in a decade?

Or by Dinger on offense when Jay came to town.. After all Dinger was in TEN just down the street from Vanderbilt all of those years he played there.. DO you think He might have had some thing to say to his college roommate about him?

While some will tout the scout that had worked at Vandy for years was the one responsible for Jay being here I think Dinger sold him on this kid.. Marshall played in the neighbor hood also. A solid tow years of drafting and while mikey had the final word on them I think his OC and DC had a lot of influence when making up his mind..

Y'all can believe what you want, but mikey places alot of credit on loyalty. None closer than him and Dinger..

BTW I do not hate Mikey the Offense coach. I detest him as emperor and all knowing DAFT man.

Lonestar
03-19-2008, 06:13 PM
I happen to like orange koolade.

As for running this team into the ground?

Your head is up your okole.

Bowlen is the man behind it all, and Shanahan a winner, period.
If having a draft ranking of LAST is what opened Bowlens eyes, sure is funny that he didnt fire the man (according to you) behind all the personel decisions. By not firing Shanny, and by coming into the spotlight to specifically shut up reporters like Klis, Bowlen not only shows his support for Shanahan, but reminds everyone (except those with 'MS SUCKS' glasses on) that HE, is the one calling the shots around here.

More koolade please.:coffee:

What do you call him Uncle Mikey? Cause you have a lot more love for him than most do..

weazel
03-19-2008, 06:32 PM

Bill Wirtz - Chicago Blackhawks
Harry Sinden - Boston Bruins

to name a couple

TXBRONC
03-19-2008, 07:53 PM
What do you call him Uncle Mikey? Cause you have a lot more love for him than most do..

Where are all these Shanahan haters such as yourself JR? I've seen critical comment from some but have seen very few that would be consider completely in the same camp as you are.

frauschieze
03-19-2008, 08:25 PM

WARHORSE = 19-0 Super Bowl BABY!

Every year.

It's called optimism. I know you're not familiar with the concept. ;)

Hey War....did you realize we are still undefeated in 2008? :salute:

*chugs her glass of orange Kool-Aid*

Lonestar
03-19-2008, 08:36 PM

Every year.

I have forgotten more optimism, than most johnny come latelys will ever have..

I sat in the south stands from day one every game till they opened the upper deck. I moved up there cause of the view.. From the south stands we could never really see the other end of the staduim past about the 30 on the north end we could see NADA..

I remember it clearly almost every years after a good draft about the third game into the season the chant went out wait till next year when we saw that while we had improved KC in particular had gotten even better..

I know optimism and I know blind faith.. Neither of which I waste any longer.

fcspikeit
03-19-2008, 08:45 PM

I sat in the south stands from day one every game till they opened the upper deck. I moved up there cause of the view.. From the south stands we could never really see the other end of the staduim past about the 30 on the north end we could see NADA..

I remember it clearly almost every years after a good draft about the third game into the season the chant went out wait till next year when we saw that while we had improved KC in particular had gotten even better..

For me its what sports are all about, Anything can happen at any time. Remember the fumble in 87? The game was over and most had already felt their heart sink as they watched Byner (SP) crossing the goalline. Then the ball shot out and we had won. You can go from sad to happy just like that...

If I really didn't believe we could win every game, I couldn't bring myself to watch...

TXBRONC
03-19-2008, 08:53 PM
For me its what sports are all about, Anything can happen at any time. Remember the fumble in 87? The game was over and most had already felt their heart sink as they watched Byner (SP) crossing the goalline. Then the ball shot out and we had won. You can go from sad to happy just like that...

If I really didn't believe we could win every game, I couldn't bring myself to watch...

What's the sense in watching if you don't think the team you like can win?

Az Snake
03-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Whatever the case, I just hope Bowlen doesn't take so much of a roll that he turns into Al Davis or Jerry Jones.

Pat fired Andrew Mason to make more cap room !

fcspikeit
03-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Pat fired Andrew Mason to make more cap room !

For real?

fcspikeit
03-19-2008, 10:34 PM
What's the sense in watching if you don't think the team you like can win?

I have watched the Super Bowl the last 9 years and I didn't care who won :D

IMO, it's what we all have in common... No matter how we differ on opinions, we all really want the Broncos to win EVERY game. I know they wont but I always feel they have a chance to win..

Lonestar
03-20-2008, 12:15 AM
I have watched the Super Bowl the last 9 years and I didn't care who won :D

IMO, it's what we all have in common... No matter how we differ on opinions, we all really want the Broncos to win EVERY game. I know they wont but I always feel they have a chance to win..

You got it!!

While some are willing believe anything said by mikey.

Some of us want more and do not think Pat is giving it to us..

Az Snake
03-20-2008, 12:22 AM
For real?

I was kidding about the cap space.

I wasn't kidding about Andrew. Thought everyone knew.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8629051

fcspikeit
03-20-2008, 03:03 AM
You got it!!

While some are willing believe anything said by mikey.

Some of us want more and do not think Pat is giving it to us..

IMO, believing we need to upgrade our GM is no different then feeling we need an upgrade at OT, RB or any position for that matter..

Both are just opinions on how the opinion bearer feels will make the team better. In fact, one could come to the conclusion if any position is being over looked and needs an upgrade, that falls on the shoulders of the GM.

WARHORSE
03-20-2008, 04:42 PM
The fact is mikey was ahead on the wave back then and picked up some real bargains but then everyone saw what we had accomplished and jumped on the band wagon..

Where are all the great FA's since the supper bowl years?
Few and far between..

You think that salary cap and availability has anything to do with your FA choices? Wake up dude. At least the Broncos...at the command of Bowlen.....make changes every year with one purpose in mind: Superbowl Champs.

Do you really think that the last two drafts were not influenced by Bates last year with 3 of 4 picks on the DL? something mikey had not done in a decade?

Lets see..........Bates was here one year...........SHanny gets blame for every bad pick............Bates gets credit for years he wasnt even here......HMMMMMmmmmmm.........................don t be hatin.

Or by Dinger on offense when Jay came to town.. After all Dinger was in TEN just down the street from Vanderbilt all of those years he played there.. DO you think He might have had some thing to say to his college roommate about him?

HMMMmmmmmmmmm..........Shanny gets blame for bad picks..........everyone else gets credit for good picks................:confused:

While some will tout the scout that had worked at Vandy for years was the one responsible for Jay being here I think Dinger sold him on this kid.. Marshall played in the neighbor hood also. A solid tow years of drafting and while mikey had the final word on them I think his OC and DC had a lot of influence when making up his mind..

Since SHANAHAN HAS THE FINAL SAY IN ALL PERSONEL MATTERS...............is it possible he allowed himself to be (gasp!) influenced by his OC???????? DUN-DUN-DUN-DAAAAAAA!!!!!!!:eek:

Y'all can believe what you want, but mikey places alot of credit on loyalty. None closer than him and Dinger..

BTW I do not hate Mikey the Offense coach. I detest him as emperor and all knowing DAFT man. Right. None more than the supper bowl years, eh? :confused: :lol:

Dont blame Mike JR.

Just ride the wave that is the Denver Broncos.

Captain of the ship?

:coffee:

Pat Bowlen.

WARHORSE
03-20-2008, 04:44 PM

Uncle Back 2 Back Hardware for your info.

And he loves orange koolade too.:coffee:

WARHORSE
03-20-2008, 04:46 PM

Every year.

Ahhhh.

Refreshing words from a refreshing lady.:coffee:

Yes Im aware..........but thanks for the reminder.:lol:

:salute:

WARHORSE
03-20-2008, 04:56 PM

Tough perspective to move around in.

Hey!!

I got two good things to share with you!!

Youre not a Raduh fan. (:shocked:right?)

And if we win it all, then you can have fun with the rest of us.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/warhorse001/barneyspank.gif

WARHORSE
03-20-2008, 04:58 PM
I was kidding about the cap space.

I wasn't kidding about Andrew. Thought everyone knew.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8629051

Right. But the comparison to Al Davis was scary.:lol: