PDA

View Full Version : Coin flip for tenth pick coming Friday

broncofaninfla
02-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Coin flip for tenth pick coming Friday (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/24/coin-flip-for-tenth-pick-coming-friday/)

Posted by Mike Florio on February 24, 2010 11:07 AM ET
We mentioned earlier today that the Broncos and the Jaguars hold the 10th and 11th picks in the 2010 draft. The specific order will be determined via coin flip.

Mike Klis of the Denver Post reports that the coin flip will occur on Friday (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/02/24/coin-flip-for-no-10-friday/), at the Scouting Combine.

Though the flip of a coin is the last of up to 12 measures for breaking ties as to teams that qualify for the postseason, the coin flip is No. 3 when it comes to draft order, behind strength of schedule and division or conference tie breakers, "if applicable."

In this case, the Broncos are holding the Bears' spot in round one, due to the Jay Cutler trade. Because Chicago and Jacksonville aren't in the same conference, the division and conference tiebreakers are not applicable.

So it'll come down to a coin flip.

Hey, if it's good enough to determine who gets possession first in sudden-victory overtime of the NFC title game, it's good enough to determine whether a team picks 10th or 11th.

Nomad
02-24-2010, 11:34 AM
That's not fair!! It should be best out of 5!!:ohwell: The coin has no place in the NFL!!:D

signed

FANFLOTR(Fans Against NFL OT Rules)

SOCALORADO.
02-24-2010, 11:34 AM
JAX is currently doing everything they can to trade down, out of the 10-11 pick.
I could see NYG or even NE trading up to aquire Rolando McClain, if he was there of course.

Ravage!!!
02-24-2010, 11:35 AM
GOoo Heads.. no Tails...... heads heads!!!

T.K.O.
02-24-2010, 12:29 PM
the way teams are trying to trade down....i guess whoever wins the toss ......loses?:laugh:

DenBronx
02-24-2010, 01:31 PM
tails never fails...GO TAILS!!!

Denver Native (Carol)
02-24-2010, 01:34 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/lets-flip-for-it/

On Friday, the Broncos will find out whether or not they will select in the top 10 in April’s 2010 NFL Draft.

At the NFL Scouting Combine, the Broncos and Jacksonville Jaguars who will hold a coin toss to determine who will have the 10th overall selection and who will have the 11th.

Though Denver finished 8-8 and Jacksonville concluded its season with a 7-9 record, the Broncos are in this position after the trade with Chicago before last season in which they picked up the Bears’ — who also finished 7-9 — first-round selection.

DenverBroncos.com is at the combine, and we will bring you coverage of the coin toss that will determine the Broncos’ draft position.

Broncolingus
02-24-2010, 02:32 PM
I say it should be based on something much more fair and leaves less to chance...

...whichever state has the tallest mountain.

http://www.destination360.com/north-america/us/colorado/images/s/pikes-peak.jpg

broncophan
02-24-2010, 03:06 PM
GO BRONCOS!!!............here's hoping the coin falls the right way!!!

T.K.O.
02-24-2010, 03:17 PM
I say it should be based on something much more fair and leaves less to chance...

or whichever team has more sb wins !

Nomad
02-24-2010, 05:46 PM

Cage fighting seems to be the 'in' thing nowadays!! Take our toughest LB against their toughest LB and have at it -- MMA style!! Who ever wins gets the spot!!

Denver Native (Carol)
02-25-2010, 05:32 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14466416

NDIANAPOLIS — Bear down, Chicago Bears.

The Broncos need the Bears to get motivated. For if ever a team had reason to tank a coin flip, it's the Bears.

As it currently sits, the Bears and Jacksonville Jaguars are tied for the No. 10 overall pick in the April 22-24 draft by virtue of their 7-9 records in 2009.

The Bears already traded their first-round pick to the Broncos as part of the Jay Cutler deal. Essentially, on Friday, the Bears will be flipping for the Broncos. Winner picks No. 10. Loser picks No. 11.

The Bears also traded their second-round pick to Tampa Bay for Gaines Adams, who recently died of heart failure.

The Broncos are expected to take a defensive lineman, a linebacker or possibly a quarterback with their first-round pick this year.

So why do the Bears flip with Jacksonville and not the Broncos? Teams that are tied for a draft pick must alternate with each round. To wit: If the Bears win the flip, they will have pick No. 10 and Jacksonville would select No. 11 in the first round; Jacksonville would have the No. 10 pick in the second round, and the Bears No. 11, and so on.

Heads or tails, the Broncos will neither overly rejoice nor sulk with the results. This is one of those coin flips where the winner may be the loser — the difference in guaranteed money between the No. 10 and 11 picks in the NFL slot system is at least $2 million.

Moreno questioned about fight.

Knowshon Moreno was questioned by police this week after the Broncos running back was involved in a bar fight in Athens, Ga.

According to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, a University of Georgia freshman student claimed he was knocked unconscious Saturday night by Moreno during an altercation inside the Bourbon Street Bar.

Stephen Anderson, 18, was treated at a local hospital for a concussion and filed the report Monday afternoon after consulting with friends. Anderson admitted he was drunk at the time of the altercation.

A source close to the situation said the investigation is expected to close without charges filed against Moreno, a former Georgia star tailback.

Moreno did not return a phone call from The Denver Post and the Broncos declined comment. Even though Moreno will not be charged, the NFL may review the matter, as it does all situations that fall under its personal conduct policy.

Pick a punter.

The first college player group to test at the combine? Kickers and punters. Not surprisingly, the Broncos had a large contingent of coaches, assistants, scouts and medical personnel here Wednesday.

The Broncos are set at kicker with Matt Prater but they may seek another punter in the late rounds to compete with Mitch Berger, Britton Colquitt and A.J. Trapasso. The punting prospects attending this combine are Michigan's Zoltan Mesko, Virginia Tech's Brent Bowden and Fresno State's Robert Malone.

Ravage!!!
02-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Heads! No no.. TAILS..... wait, Yes... Tails!!!! Heads heads!! I mean heads!

(I can help that I like a lot of head and lot of tail)

OrangeHoof
02-25-2010, 06:35 PM
Wow. Talk about a bad draft... your first-round pick you traded for a guy who led the league in INTs and the second-round pick you traded for a guy who's dead. I'm not feeling too healthy if I'm the guy they take in the third.

Carl
02-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Cage fighting seems to be the 'in' thing nowadays!! Take our toughest LB against their toughest LB and have at it -- MMA style!! Who ever wins gets the spot!!

Can we pre-draft Rolondo McClain and have him represent? I wouldnt come at that guy with a battle axe.

Carl
02-25-2010, 11:40 PM
What do you think the odds are that Jacksonville wins the toss, keeps the pick, and drafts Mcclain or Dez Bryant right before us?........ not that were definatley locked on either of those players or anything.

vtroper
02-26-2010, 08:55 AM
#11 it is. Crap

CoachChaz
02-26-2010, 09:08 AM
No difference between 10 or 11, IMO. Jax can have McClain or take the pass rusher they need. Doesnt affect us.

broncofaninfla
02-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Jaguars "win" coin flip for tenth pick (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/26/jaguars-win-coin-flip-for-tenth-pick/)

Posted by Mike Florio on February 26, 2010 8:47 AM ET
The Jaguars and the Bears were tied in the 2009 standings. Because they had an identical strength of schedule and since they don't play in the same conference, the tie was broken by a coin flip held this morning in Indianapolis.

The Broncos were keenly interested in the outcome because the Broncos own the Bears' first-round pick, thanks to the Jay Cutler trade from last April.

Mike Klis of the Denver Post reports that the Jaguars won the flip (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/02/26/coin-flip-gives-broncos-no-11-draft-pick/), giving them the tenth pick. The Broncos will select eleventh.

But we're not sure it's really a victory for Jacksonville. As Klis points out, they'll spend at least $2 million more in guaranteed money in the ten spot, and with this year's draft pool regarded as a deep one, the Broncos will still be able to get a guy who potentially could become a good player.

MileHighCrew
02-26-2010, 09:23 AM
$2million in the Broncos pocket, I think the Broncos won with #11

vtroper
02-26-2010, 09:58 AM
We'll see. I think Miami could be the team to watch here. Miami needs Dez Bryant worse then we do and with Jax now getting the pick ahead of us, it would be very easy for them to send a pick to Jax to move up to 10 and get him. Jax could move down 2 spots and likely get the same guy they'd want at 10. Just something to watch as a result of losing the flip.

Nomad
02-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Damn that coin, I hate losing!!:lol:

CoachChaz
02-26-2010, 10:15 AM
We'll see. I think Miami could be the team to watch here. Miami needs Dez Bryant worse then we do and with Jax now getting the pick ahead of us, it would be very easy for them to send a pick to Jax to move up to 10 and get him. Jax could move down 2 spots and likely get the same guy they'd want at 10. Just something to watch as a result of losing the flip.

I disagree. Miami already has like 4 or 5 WR's that are like 26 or younger. Why would they want to add yet another young guy to try and develop. They need a veteran WR. I see them making a serious play for Boldin and going DT/OLB in the draft. Boldin will add a vet presence and will be able to help Ginn and Co. learn how to be tougher players at the position. I will be shocked if they consider drafting Bryant.

vtroper
02-26-2010, 10:35 AM
I disagree. Miami already has like 4 or 5 WR's that are like 26 or younger. Why would they want to add yet another young guy to try and develop. They need a veteran WR. I see them making a serious play for Boldin and going DT/OLB in the draft. Boldin will add a vet presence and will be able to help Ginn and Co. learn how to be tougher players at the position. I will be shocked if they consider drafting Bryant.

Hey, I hope you're right. Obviously if they make a deal for Boldin, that would take them out of the running for Bryant presumably, but I don't think having a bunch of average to below average young WR's would preclude them from taking the #1 guy in this years draft. Quanity doesn't always = quality and it's not like Robiske, Ginn, Camerillo, Hess and company are going to be mistaken for the Giants crew of young WR's anytime. Obviously the Tuna has forgotten more football then I'll ever know, but I think Bryant is a bigger talent then all of them.

Ziggy
02-26-2010, 10:39 AM
I don't see Parcell's trading up for a WR. I could see him trading up for Dan Willaims. Parcells loves big guys that can move, and Williams qualifies.

CoachChaz
02-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Hey, I hope you're right. Obviously if they make a deal for Boldin, that would take them out of the running for Bryant presumably, but I don't think having a bunch of average to below average young WR's would preclude them from taking the #1 guy in this years draft. Quanity doesn't always = quality and it's not like Robiske, Ginn, Camerillo, Hess and company are going to be mistaken for the Giants crew of young WR's anytime. Obviously the Tuna has forgotten more football then I'll ever know, but I think Bryant is a bigger talent then all of them.

I agree on the immediate talent impact, but adding another WR to develop to a group of young WR's and a young QB doesnt seem to be Parcell's MO. I can see them looking at Dan Williams and Brandon Graham...although I hope Graham is selected with the 11th pick.

T.K.O.
02-26-2010, 11:46 AM
on the bright side.....if mcD had not had faith that we would finish better than chicago we would be picking at 14 !:beer:

MileHighCrew
02-26-2010, 02:26 PM
on the bright side.....if mcD had not had faith that we would finish better than chicago we would be picking at 14 !:beer:

:tsk: Now I have to come back with, if McDaniels didn't trade away our pick for the Fonz we would have 11 and 14. :mad:

WARHORSE
02-26-2010, 02:35 PM
I agree on the immediate talent impact, but adding another WR to develop to a group of young WR's and a young QB doesnt seem to be Parcell's MO. I can see them looking at Dan Williams and Brandon Graham...although I hope Graham is selected with the 11th pick.

Graham is a bad boy.

There are a lot of mean muthas in this draft, but I been checkin out Graham lately and hes a stud.

I wouldnt be upset at all with him, he does it all.

CoachChaz
02-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Graham is a bad boy.

There are a lot of mean muthas in this draft, but I been checkin out Graham lately and hes a stud.

I wouldnt be upset at all with him, he does it all.

Most years, I can usually think of 3 or 4 guys I'd like equally, but this year...I'm all about Graham. I love what he brings to the table and much adding him can help the defense all around

Lonestar
02-26-2010, 02:47 PM
:tsk: Now I have to come back with, if McDaniels didn't trade away our pick for the Fonz we would have 11 and 14. :mad:

BUt BUT BUT most folks feel that Pat can't afford 2#1's..

T.K.O.
02-26-2010, 03:14 PM
BUt BUT BUT most folks feel that Pat can't afford 2#1's..

and the book has yet to be written on smith's career.....

titan
02-26-2010, 03:26 PM
#10 or #11 isn't a big deal, and the Broncos will save some $$$ picking #11. If you want to blame someone, don't blame the coin flip. Blame Adrian Peterson for fumbling on what looked to be a sure Minnesota drive in overtime against the Bears in a late season Monday night game. The Bears recovered around midfield and then scored the winning td in overtime. The Bears lose that game and the broncos are drafting 8th or 9th.

WARHORSE
02-27-2010, 06:03 AM
Most years, I can usually think of 3 or 4 guys I'd like equally, but this year...I'm all about Graham. I love what he brings to the table and much adding him can help the defense all around

He can flat out rush the passer, and with Doom, we can create a lot of pressure. If Ayers gets it going, even more crazy.

But more than that, the dude can stop the run.

Whoever we draft on the defensive side of the ball.......has to be able to defend the run well at a minimum.