PDA

View Full Version : Defending DeSean Jackson. . .

Requiem / The Dagda
03-17-2008, 11:22 PM
For all of those who think I'm crazy. . . (http://broncosdraft.wordpress.com/)

SR
03-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Don't want him on my team. Some times teams...cough*Chicago*cough are too reliant on their return man to get them down field because their offense can't do it. I'd rather have a mediocre return game and have an offense that can march down the field at will than the other day around.

How many times have you seen people in college who excelled and were deemed too small or whatever for the NFL, kind of like this guy, come in to the NFL and flop? Tons. There is a reason people are critisizing the guy as much as they are.

lex
03-18-2008, 12:13 AM
No way. There really is no defending taking Jackson at 12.

UnderArmour
03-18-2008, 12:15 AM
Don't want him on my team. Some times teams...cough*Chicago*cough are too reliant on their return man to get them down field because their offense can't do it. I'd rather have a mediocre return game and have an offense that can march down the field at will than the other day around.

How many times have you seen people in college who excelled and were deemed too small or whatever for the NFL, kind of like this guy, come in to the NFL and flop? Tons. There is a reason people are critisizing the guy as much as they are.

Wait what? So if we have a return man all of a sudden our offense will stop working? I was under the impression that the Bears offense sucked because Grossman is terrible and they have no WRs and not because of Devin Hester. I don't really understand what you're saying, offenses only benefit from good field position.

The draft is always a gamble. The WR position especially is always a gamble. There is always a chance at a flop, but I don't see Cutler letting it happen. I don't really care what we take round 1 as long as we go RB round 2, where there is fantastic value and a big time playmaker like Ray Rice would be available.

lex
03-18-2008, 12:22 AM
Wait what? So if we have a return man all of a sudden our offense will stop working? I was under the impression that the Bears offense sucked because Grossman is terrible and they have no WRs and not because of Devin Hester. I don't really understand your first paragraph, offenses only benefit from good field position.

The draft is always a gamble. The WR position especially is always a gamble. There is always a chance at a flop, but I don't see Cutler letting it happen. I don't really care what we take round 1 as long as we go RB round 2, where there is fantastic value and a big time playmaker like Ray Rice would be available.

1. If you draft Jackson its as a returner or a deep threat. When Jackson was a sophomore USC showed you can take him out of the game completely by banging him around a little bit. And taking him with the return game primarily in mind sacrifices improvement on the offense or defense, which is what he was alluding to, I believe.

2. There's more to a return game than the guy carrying the ball.

3. The difference between DeSean and, say, Dexter Jackson, Donnie Avery, or Eddie Royal isnt big enough to waste the #12 pick on DeSean.

shank
03-18-2008, 12:39 AM
it might be the 2nd time, but i agree with lex completely.

drafting deshaun would be a huge waste of the highest pick we've had in years. who gives a f if he's "good"... his value is only suitable at 12 if he's guaranteed to be as good as hester, which he IS NOT. not even close. OT/RB, WR, LB.

drafting deshaun would have me question my choice of teams.... call me a traitor, that's how mad i'd be.

Scarface
03-18-2008, 08:07 AM
Scott Wright's latest mock has us taking D.Jackson at 12 with Clady, Williams, and Mendenhall going 13,14, and 15. I would have to wrap my head with duct tape to keep my head from exploding if it went down that way. It's not because I don't want him on the Broncos. I'd love to have him for his return ability and deep speed. But no way in hell is he worth the 12th pick in the draft.

LRtagger
03-18-2008, 08:21 AM
I'm not one to say that he doesnt have talent, but no way does he have #12 talent.

If we select him at #12, it would be one of the worst draft selections in recent memory.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Shanny and Bowlen are cleaning out the ******** in the lockeroom. The'yre not brining in a bigger one at 12.

eessydo
03-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Defending DeSean Jackson?

My question to everyone out there that thinks DeSean Jackson belongs in the first round is this:

Do you think, even under the assumption that they did have a top 10 QB on their roster, that Miami should have drafted Ted Ginn, Jr. last year?

Your answer is probably NO.

Considering we are only 3 picks removed from where Miami is I think you get my point. Miami picked up a Return man with the 9th pick, and considering they are about the same size and speed with somewhat identical statistics coming out of college, I think we all know what we are getting with a fast and skinny 5'10" receiver.

Being a Florida fan, I have seen plenty of bad ass super fast 5'10" receivers that excel in college but SUCK at the pro level.

It is just common sense that speed kills in college, but speed and size kill at the pro level. Do you want to pay that high a price for a guy who will probably be 4th or 5th on the depth chart as a receiver and only touch the ball when our crappy defense allows touchdowns?

There is no defending DeSean Jackson with a #12.

underrated29
03-18-2008, 09:32 AM
guys he isnt going to go int the first. The bills are going to take my boy Devin at 11, or sweed, and the other one will go somewhere else later. But this guy even though i am not thrilled about him (but i have yet to see him in action, and i cant see the link) will be a good player and before i said i gurantee that we will take Devin thomas at #42, well he is gone inthe first and so we will take Desean Jackson at #42. This whole offseason has just had shannys fingerprints all over taking a wr/kr with the 2nd rd pick.

G_Money
03-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Jackson think's he's special.

Our offense absolutely requires its wides to block and block hard, and DeSean really doesn't care to do that.

He's very, very fast, but he doesn't break tackles (at least not in the games I was watching him in). And the difference between college and the pros is that EVERYBODY is fast in the pros. Speed does kill, but if it's your only weapon then it's just not as effective as it is at the college level.

Jackson also IMO doesn't run his routes as crisply as the author believes. He CAN, but he gets lazy and doesn't always. If he's the first option, he's crisp as hell. If the play isn't designed to go for him his routes get distinctly rounder.

Between the drops, the ego, the inconsistent effort and the durability concerns, I wouldn't take him at 12. I wouldn't have taken Ginn (understatement), and even though DeSean is a better receiver than Ginn, my same caveats apply.

He's just not the guy I want. In the second round I'd be more interested, but until we fix our special teams blocking getting a good returner is like supercharging a Yugo. Not enough bang for your buck. And the rest of the package at wide receiver falls behind several more attractive options.

JMO.

And I agree the Broncos may look at him there in the 2nd as underrrated speculates. Adding Jackson in the 2nd holds a lot more appeal to me, although strictly from a wideout perspective I still prefer Jordy Nelson. Still, DeSean can get over the top in ways that a receiver like Nelson just can't, and stretching the field is always a good idea.

As a 1st rounder, even if we drop back a few spots? I'd pass.

~G

fcspikeit
03-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Jackson think's he's special.

Our offense absolutely requires its wides to block and block hard, and DeSean really doesn't care to do that.

He's very, very fast, but he doesn't break tackles (at least not in the games I was watching him in). And the difference between college and the pros is that EVERYBODY is fast in the pros. Speed does kill, but if it's your only weapon then it's just not as effective as it is at the college level.

Jackson also IMO doesn't run his routes as crisply as the author believes. He CAN, but he gets lazy and doesn't always. If he's the first option, he's crisp as hell. If the play isn't designed to go for him his routes get distinctly rounder.

Between the drops, the ego, the inconsistent effort and the durability concerns, I wouldn't take him at 12. I wouldn't have taken Ginn (understatement), and even though DeSean is a better receiver than Ginn, my same caveats apply.

He's just not the guy I want. In the second round I'd be more interested, but until we fix our special teams blocking getting a good returner is like supercharging a Yugo. Not enough bang for your buck. And the rest of the package at wide receiver falls behind several more attractive options.

JMO.

And I agree the Broncos may look at him there in the 2nd as underrrated speculates. Adding Jackson in the 2nd holds a lot more appeal to me, although strictly from a wideout perspective I still prefer Jordy Nelson. Still, DeSean can get over the top in ways that a receiver like Nelson just can't, and stretching the field is always a good idea.

As a 1st rounder, even if we drop back a few spots? I'd pass.

~G

We only throw about 10 deep balls a year... Why would we take a guy at 12 that will have such a small impact on our offence? If we were guaranteed 4 or 5 TD's a year on special teams it might be worth it.. But that is a stretch!

please Mikey NO! There is a reason the phins only won 1 game last year. It is the same reason those who drafted Ginn at 9 are no longer working for the team..

"Smart" GM's and coaches don't waist high 1st round picks on kick returners with little to nothing else to offer.. There is a reason Hester in just his 3rd year is talked about being the best kick returner of all time.. Even then, he can contribute as a WR and CB... Jackson is not in the same league as Hester..

I would take Jordy Nelson at 12th over DeSean Jackson..

SR
03-18-2008, 01:46 PM
1. If you draft Jackson its as a returner or a deep threat. When Jackson was a sophomore USC showed you can take him out of the game completely by banging him around a little bit. And taking him with the return game primarily in mind sacrifices improvement on the offense or defense, which is what he was alluding to, I believe.

Exactly. Thanks.