PDA

View Full Version : Broncos coach McDaniels, GM Xanders on same page

Denver Native (Carol)
02-23-2010, 10:19 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14451686

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels received accolades as a young genius when Denver started the 2009 season 6-0. He also received the full brunt of criticism when the Broncos lost eight of their last 10 games.

Meanwhile, general manager Brian Xanders was all but in-visible from both praise and blame, though he was influential in all major decisions, such as signing Brian Dawkins as a free agent, as well as trading away a first-round draft pick to select Alphonso Smith high in the second round. That's because McDaniels was the public face of the organization.

The exposure imbalance is contrary to how the organization functions, however.

"Call us whatever you want, we're peers in building this football team," McDaniels said of Xanders. "He is absolutely an integral part of every decision we make — and I'll emphasize 'we' — because we don't make any decisions unless we think it's right for the Broncos.

"Sometimes that means it's my idea and then I talk to Brian about some things and then we either watch tape or talk about it more, then we decide it is a good idea. Or some things are his ideas. There's plenty of ideas that I have or he has that, after conversing, there's no life to it. Nobody finds out about it because nothing happens unless the two of us think it's the best thing to do for the Broncos."

It's not a stretch to suggest the next two weeks will be critical for the Broncos' brain trust in shaping the 2010 season. Beginning today, Xanders will be in Indianapolis for the week-long NFL scouting combine. There, he and scouting director Matt Russell and pro personnel director Keith Kidd will lead the evaluations of college prospects in preparation for the April 22-24 draft.

The combine is also where agents and team executives gather in coffee shops, restaurants and hidden nooks in hotel hallways to discuss trades and potential free agents. The NFL's free agency and trading period begins March 5.

"To me, we just had an interesting year. It was a fun year," Xanders said. "But we've got to get better than 8-8."

That likely means more player movement. Brandon Marshall, the team's leading receiver in 2009, and tight end Tony Scheffler are among the more prominent Broncos who are not expected back this season. As for additions, Xanders and McDaniels will likely concentrate on players on the offensive and defensive lines.

"It's tough to change, but there's no team that doesn't change every year," Xanders said. "The Saints were 8-8 (in 2008) and they made dramatic changes on the defensive side with both their coaching staff and players, to where it put them over the hump to win the Super Bowl. Change is a constant with every football team. Our change may have involved bigger decisions than what people are used to (this past year), but we're doing what we think will help the Denver Broncos win football games."

After spending 14 seasons with the Atlanta Falcons, Xanders was hired by Mike Shanahan as assistant general manager in 2008. After Shana-han was fired after that season, Xanders was among the Broncos' five-man coaching search committee that hired McDaniels. Xanders wrote a four-page report to his fellow committee members explaining why he thought McDaniels should be hired.

"I had actually interviewed coaches such as Mike Singletary, Rex Ryan, Ken Whisenhunt, Mike Smith, Jim Caldwell and Jason Garrett," Xanders said. "Of the 17 interviews I've been through, I was excited the most about Josh coming to Denver."

Soon after McDaniels was hired, Xanders was promoted to general manager.

"Many football people say in this league you cannot have success or build a winning program unless the general manager and the head coach are on the same page," Xanders said. "That's what we have here."

Lonestar
02-23-2010, 11:15 PM
Outstanding article that was written.

I marvel at it not drawing major hits from the anti Josh club.

I guess I was interested to see that Xman was pro Josh in the interview process. Perhaps that is a big reason he was promoted to GM. Pat must have thought they would get along well.

I know I do not have toss ay it but I'm a real happy camper the way this seems to be set up,

The HC and GM talking to each other and making sure the changes made are for the best of the TEAM.

Dean
02-24-2010, 07:26 AM
Outstanding article that was written.

I marvel at it not drawing major hits from the anti Josh club.

I guess I was interested to see that Xman was pro Josh in the interview process. Perhaps that is a big reason he was promoted to GM. Pat must have thought they would get along well.

I know I do not have toss ay it but I'm a real happy camper the way this seems to be set up,

The HC and GM talking to each other and making sure the changes made are for the best of the TEAM.

In response to your second and last sentence, have the changes made this last year been the best for the team?:confused:

CoachChaz
02-24-2010, 08:05 AM
In response to your second and last sentence, have the changes made this last year been the best for the team?:confused:

Cant say they've been great...but cant say they've been destructive either. 50/50

Lonestar
02-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Yes I believe the changes made have been good so far.

We seem to be getting back to holding players responsible for their actions. Getting back to a TEAM 1st mentality, instead of ego struck stars.

Players that are not me 1st stars.

A complete change in failed schemes.

This offseason should further redefine and rebuild this TEAM.

Unlike some I'm wiling to give the guys the time to do so.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

T.K.O.
02-24-2010, 01:20 PM
there's an " anti josh club " ?....why ?:confused::laugh:

Lonestar
02-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Shirley :laugh: you jest. There is a group of posters that would love to see Josh fail, for whatever reason.

The moves he made.

He got rid of jay.

Will get rid of BM.
Nolan is not here.

Believes in not ME players.

Wants a TEAM modeled after the NE scheme.

Did away with ZBS.

Signed Paxton.

Signed several X pats.

Picked up the phone.

He smacks his lips.

He is short

Has an EGO (unlike any other HC). :laugh:

Just because it is WEDnesday.

He is not Mike.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

T.K.O.
02-24-2010, 01:58 PM
and don't call me shirley !:D
i think i have heard rumors and such that not all fans are pleased....
but remember those glorious 7 weeks when all was well....
"those were the days "
http://gallery.allinthefamilysit.com/albums/userpics/10001/thumb_all_in_the_family_image010.jpg

T.K.O.
02-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Broncos coach McDaniels, GM Xanders on same page .............
i just want to tell you both "good luck and were all counting on you"
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/da/Airplane_screenshot_Haggerty_Nielsen.jpg/250px-Airplane_screenshot_Haggerty_Nielsen.jpg

Broncolingus
02-24-2010, 02:16 PM
http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/wilber83/473292408_f4b8fbfde3.jpg

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking."

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking."

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue."

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines."

http://www.englishforum.ch/attachments/family-matters/98d1158920230-kindergartens-oerlikon-zurich-hijack.gif

Dean
02-24-2010, 02:27 PM
Spencer Larsen by all accounts is a very high calibre individual character-wise. Does this mean that a team of 53 clones of him means Super Bowl?

Lonestar
02-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Spencer Larsen by all accounts is a very high calibre individual character-wise. Does this mean that a team of 53 clones of him means Super Bowl?

If they can all play different positions, like OT, OG C, WR, etc etc. I'd take that group in a heart beat.

I'm looking for a selfless team, where they all want to do what is best for the team, someone that does not pout if he does not get the ball yet wants to make plays.

We have pretty good nucleus on this team as we speak, just need a few more LOS players that are good and will play team ball.

Are you telling me as a coach you would not want a team of Spencer's Smart , Versatile players, that will do anything the coach asks of him.

I'd be surprised if you said NO.

dogfish
02-24-2010, 03:21 PM

you don't need any talent when you have a TEAM!

look how new england's team mentality has helped them win without any talent. . .

TXBRONC
02-24-2010, 03:25 PM

look how new england's team mentality has helped them win without any talent. . .

Absolutely. It never takes talent to win Championships just a team concept.

broncofaninfla
02-24-2010, 03:54 PM

Sorry, we fielded our "team first" low talent team against KC in the last game of the year and got our asses handed to us by a bottom dweller. We need talent as well. As for the team concept, this is nothing new. Every team employs that concept. Some spit the words out to the media more than others but in the end it takes players performing as a unit to be succesfull in football at any level. We need a team but we also need talent. In addition to talent we need effective schemes on both sides of the ball. Mcd has to do a much better job of game planning on offense to fit the talent he fields each week, he failed the Broncos in a major way last season in the respect IMO. I have higher hopes for 2010 though and am optimistic he can improve as a coach as he improves this team.

Lonestar
02-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Sorry, we fielded our "team first" low talent team against KC in the last game of the year and got our asses handed to us by a bottom dweller. We need talent as well. As for the team concept, this is nothing new. Every team employs that concept. Some spit the words out to the media more than others but in the end it takes players performing as a unit to be succesfull in football at any level. We need a team but we also need talent. In addition to talent we need effective schemes on both sides of the ball. Mcd has to do a much better job of game planning on offense to fit the talent he fields each week, he failed the Broncos in a major way last season in the respect IMO. I have higher hopes for 2010 though and am optimistic he can improve as a coach as he improves this team.

I do not believe anyone has stated anywhere we should be devoid of "talent".. But they have spoke of such talent being TEAM oriented NOT "ME first" players.

Players such as BM have clearly not shown a TEAM first mentatlilty.

Doom on the other hand seems to be a great locker room leader and seems to be a good person.

I do not think there is any one suggesting we get rid of all the talent, Champ, Clady, Eddie, Kuper, Harris, DJ, Doom, Dawkins, Bucky, Woodyard etc etc, and replacing it with. NON talented players.

Super stars need not be the focal point of the team.
They do their jobs and do what is necessary to win CONSISTENTLY.

BTW I did not see a team devoid of talent on the field in the KC game, the only players absent were BM and scheduler, neither of which I think are TEAM first guys.

Dean
02-24-2010, 08:15 PM
If they can all play different positions, like OT, OG C, WR, etc etc. I'd take that group in a heart beat.

I'm looking for a selfless team, where they all want to do what is best for the team, someone that does not pout if he does not get the ball yet wants to make plays.

We have pretty good nucleus on this team as we speak, just need a few more LOS players that are good and will play team ball.

Are you telling me as a coach you would not want a team of Spencer's Smart , Versatile players, that will do anything the coach asks of him.

My point is that I think you are taking this team player concept a bit beyond reality. Sure I wanted positive leadership but I also wanted talent. Over the last thirty years I have had numerous "great team players" that never saw the field during crunch time at the varsity level. Sure you want players who do what they have been taught but if the opponent does exactly what he is taught it takes something more (unusual talent) to consistently win. The other team plays hard and is technically skilled, too.

I have been blessed to have been a part of 5 state championship games. It was talent that got us there. The players definitely did what we asked but they had that special talent that gave them an edge game after game in any situation.

Ravage!!!
02-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Rudy was such a team player... gotta love that.

But Rudy's don't win football games. Players do. GOOD players do.

Every player in the NFL wants to be PAID... period. The better they are, the more they want. I know we like to believe that the players will just hop for joy and just play for the Broncos for nothing, because its great to be here.

But thats not real. Even our "team oriented" QB, stated that EVERY PLAYER DREAMS of going UFA. He didn't say that because he doesn't want his PAY and loves to play for nothing purely to 'play the game.'

lets not over exaggerate this "needing team players" mantra that has been spread around the boards.

dogfish
02-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Rudy was such a team player... gotta love that.

But Rudy's don't win football games. Players do. GOOD players do.

Every player in the NFL wants to be PAID... period. The better they are, the more they want. I know we like to believe that the players will just hop for joy and just play for the Broncos for nothing, because its great to be here.

But thats not real. Even our "team oriented" QB, stated that EVERY PLAYER DREAMS of going UFA. He didn't say that because he doesn't want his PAY and loves to play for nothing purely to 'play the game.'

lets not over exaggerate this "needing team players" mantra that has been spread around the boards.

i think wanting team players is GREAT as far as it goes, and it does have value. . . BUT, you still do have to pay the talent what it's worth, also. . .

guys like rod smith and al wilson were model team guys, exactly what a coach would want-- but those guys also got paid. . . not rockstar quarterback money, of course, but our top guys were always well taken care of according to league standards at the time. . . they didn't do it for vet minimum and the love of denver. . .

with maybe a few notable exceptions, "big time" home town discounts don't exist in pro sports outside of fantasy land. . . not now. . . it's nice to talk about, but it's not very practical. . .

then again. . . it does help to keep your mouth shut and work hard until your time comes, which is the reason the team has reportedly talked contract with dumervil, while most sources are still claiming that we're likely to trade marshall. . . in fact, brandon already had an extension in the works last year when he stepped on his carrot again. . .

Ravage!!!
02-24-2010, 09:43 PM
then again. . . it does help to keep your mouth shut and work hard until your time comes, which is the reason the team has reportedly talked contract with dumervil, while most sources are still claiming that we're likely to trade marshall. . . in fact, brandon already had an extension in the works last year when he stepped on his carrot again. . .

Brandon felt he was due, do to the fact that he was misdiagnosed. But thats neither here nor there.

But you are right. Home "discounts" don't happen with young players. THey happen with older vets that have been with a team for a long time and have an "iconic" situation with a particular team. No smart player is simply going to play for less money, just to stay where he's at. Not when others are willing to pay him more.

I just think this "NE way".. is completely exaggerated. The players that were supposedly all about the team (in NE), started demanding money. Funny how that works out. Weird how players wanted to get paid. Even Belicheck, started going after 'star' players. Whether that was RBs from other teams, or WRs.

Its very very easy to be "team oriented" when you see your offense has a great QB, and your team is WINNING. That changes a lot of attitudes. If a player feels he isn't surrounded by quality players, and isn't winning.... they want to get paid and become more 'out for themselves.' Thats just the way it is.

JDL
02-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Gee... would be nice to have a Hall of Fame caliber QB on a no-talent team... sign me up ... people around here sometimes have no clue.... ahem John Elway... Tom Brady... lead low talent teams to Super Bowls... ummmm not Kyle Orton. ha ha ha. just silliness.

Lonestar
02-24-2010, 11:02 PM
My point is that I think you are taking this team player concept a bit beyond reality. Sure I wanted positive leadership but I also wanted talent. Over the last thirty years I have had numerous "great team players" that never saw the field during crunch time at the varsity level. Sure you want players who do what they have been taught but if the opponent does exactly what he is taught it takes something more (unusual talent) to consistently win. The other team plays hard and is technically skilled, too.

I have been blessed to have been a part of 5 state championship games. It was talent that got us there. The players definitely did what we asked but they had that special talent that gave them an edge game after game in any situation.

OK did any one say that players that had talent could not be team players also.

Were your talent players ME first guys?

If so then I guess I've read you wrong all of these years.

Dean
02-25-2010, 12:30 AM
OK did any one say that players that had talent could not be team players also.

Were your talent players ME first guys?

If so then I guess I've read you wrong all of these years.

None of them were the Divas the NFL seems more and more to attract.

They played hard and they wanted to win. That is beyond question. However, let's face it. The skill people wanted the ball, the LBs want their blitzes called, the DBs wanted bump coverage. Each wanted his chance to be a stand out on video for college scouts.

Personal recognition is a part of the game and there is no reason that it shouldn't be.

Tangerine
02-25-2010, 01:54 PM
I'm just curious, when did this team become devoid of talent? I thought they had a ton of talent, they were an 8-8 team that sent 5 Pro Bowlers, when was the last time an 8-8 team sent 5 players to the Pro Bowl?

Prater could have been sent if he was a bigger name, DJ Williams was an alternate, even Kyle Orton was considered a possibility for a short time. Moreno was the leading rusher among rookies.

This team has some holes, but it's a team loaded with talent, they just need to put it all together.

arapaho2
02-25-2010, 01:57 PM

give us a team of spencer larsens and were 0-16...all the heart and soul in the world..all the undenieing unquestioned following of orders...aint gonna stop a rb ...aint gonna catch a wr...aint gonna block a talented pass rusher...wont win shit...without some top talent...and our plan seems to be to ship ours away

Lonestar
02-25-2010, 02:17 PM
give us a team of spencer larsens and were 0-16...all the heart and soul in the world..all the undenieing unquestioned following of orders...aint gonna stop a rb ...aint gonna catch a wr...aint gonna block a talented pass rusher...wont win shit...without some top talent...and our plan seems to be to ship ours away

Do you even read before you post try again and get back to me.

Originally Posted by Jrwiz

You are so full of hate and bitterness you jump before you look.

If only mods could Iggy.

Lonestar
02-25-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm just curious, when did this team become devoid of talent? I thought they had a ton of talent, they were an 8-8 team that sent 5 Pro Bowlers, when was the last time an 8-8 team sent 5 players to the Pro Bowl?

Prater could have been sent if he was a bigger name, DJ Williams was an alternate, even Kyle Orton was considered a possibility for a short time. Moreno was the leading rusher among rookies.

This team has some holes, but it's a team loaded with talent, they just need to put it all together.

Devoid of TEAM players last 2008 year perhaps. We have had good to great players but few of them have been playing selfless ball until this past year.

We had Hillis, Larsen, Bailey, DJ (bless his heart being thrown into another position in 2008), Clady, Harris, Kuper, casey IMHO all playing good to great ball in 08 not worrying about Pro Blows or stats.

Last year we have a new scheme installed on the entire team. ALmost a brand new coaching staff, everything was new INCLUDING 31+ players.

We had talent in most skilled spots but lacked talent to allow them to play to their potential because of IMO and most others opinions shoddy LOS play. NOT truly bad, just not to good NFL standards. But even though we had 5 PB players we all know in our hearts Dawkins and Bailey got in because of their names and not for their play this year it was good but their reps carried them.

I have been calling for BEEF on the LOS for almost a decade. It finally sounds like we are going to get some.

Which should improve play by almost all of the skilled players.