PDA

View Full Version : Julius Peppers in Denver

WARHORSE
03-17-2008, 04:42 AM
Julius Peppers Spotted at Nuggets game

Carolina Panthers general manager Marty Hurney says he isn't trying to trade Julius Peppers, but among those sitting prominently courtside in the Pepsi Center for a Nuggets game Sunday night was the three-time Pro Bowl defensive end.
Peppers still has one year remaining on his contract - it runs through the 2008 season - so he couldn't speak to, or visit, another team without the Panthers' permission. But with the Broncos having finished 19th in the league in sacks this past season, there was plenty of so close yet so far at work there for the local franchise.
Peppers, coming off a career-worst 2 1/2 sacks in '07 and having finished the year on injured reserve, has been the subject of trade rumors around the league for weeks, so much so that Hurney went public earlier this month saying there was "nothing to it."
Peppers' agent, Carl Carey, also publicly has denied the ever-spinning rumor mill about his client. Even with the subpar year in '07, Peppers still is looking for more money from the Panthers or anybody else than the Broncos have shown they are willing to spend so far in this free-agency season.
Peppers is scheduled to count slightly more than $15 million against the salary cap this year, and thus far the Panthers haven't shown much inclination to renegotiate the deal before seeing Peppers play in '08.
Peppers has had at least 101/2 sacks in four of his six seasons in the league and has topped 11 twice, with 12 as a rookie in 2002 and 13 in '06.

claymore
03-17-2008, 05:20 AM
No way we swing that deal, But I would be happy as hell if we did.

dogfish
03-17-2008, 05:48 AM
maybe he can teach the nugs how to play some defense. . . .

TXBRONC
03-17-2008, 07:22 AM
I think Clay is right I don't see Denver trying to swing a deal to get Peppers. It would be nice but so far this offseason Denver hasn't shown interest in going after the high profile players.

claymore
03-17-2008, 07:31 AM
I think Clay is right I don't see Denver trying to swing a deal to get Peppers. It would be nice but so far this offseason Denver hasn't shown interest in going after the high profile players.
They want a number one pick for him. I would give 09's #1, but not this year.

Peppers is worth it. We have made allot of bad decisions in the past, but Peppers is worth it.

BeefStew25
03-17-2008, 07:34 AM
I like Brian Peppers more:

http://www.tonyrogers.com/humor/images/brian_peppers1.jpg

claymore
03-17-2008, 07:36 AM
I like Brian Peppers more:

http://www.tonyrogers.com/humor/images/brian_peppers1.jpg
Thats one sick little dude right there.

Bronco9798
03-17-2008, 08:11 AM
He's under contract. Broncos can't be talking to him. So he was at a game, big deal.

CoachChaz
03-17-2008, 08:14 AM
We really need more DE's.

honz
03-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Offense, not defense, is the Nuggets problem this year. Denver has the 5th ranked defense in the league...

MOtorboat
03-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Offense, not defense, is the Nuggets problem this year. Denver has the 5th ranked defense in the league...

Um...OK.

claymore
03-17-2008, 08:43 AM
He's under contract. Broncos can't be talking to him. So he was at a game, big deal.We can if his team gave us permission.

Bronco9798
03-17-2008, 08:44 AM
We can if his team gave us permission.

According to the team and his agent, that hasn't been done yet. Just saying....

silkamilkamonico
03-17-2008, 11:05 AM
LenDale White was cited at a Denver club.

Perhaps were "courting" him too?

:coffee:

G_Money
03-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Um...OK.

He's not wrong. When you play at the pace Denver plays at, you give up a lot of points. But on a points per possession basis the Nuggs actually aren't bad.

Now that they're letting J.R. play, and Chucky's finding his range from 3 and finally healthy, they might have what's been missing from their at-times-stagnant offense.

The Nuggets problem all year has been that non-Melo and AI players ca't hit open jump shots. Every other team-mate (other than JR) was under 40% on jumpers, IIRC. If Melo has a better chance of sinking a contested shot over a double-team than AC does of hitting a wide-open jumper, then Melo will just take that shot.

With Kenyon and co cutting to the basket more now we're getting easier baskets, and our improved 3-point shooting will make it harder to clog the lane against those cuts. That's good for now, and for the playoffs when lane-clogging becomes an art form and the running game gets its nuts cut off.

The West is absolutely brutal this year, though.

As for Peppers, there was speculation in Carolina that Julius was dogging it this year, IIRC. That he doesn't want to be franchised so he's trying to force a trade to a team that will give him capital and a nice extension.

This next contract could likely be his best chance a last huge deal - and at playing for a championship.

If he doesn't get traded, I'd expect him to do more this year anyway to pump up his value on the market in the hopes that last year's invisible act will make the Panthers hesistate on the franchising thing. We'll see.

He's a very interesting player (and risking that many millions on whether he's stopped caring about football could make for a "fun" time), but how many DEs can we really use? Unless Moss is more roughed up than we know...

~G

SR
03-17-2008, 11:08 AM

Exactly. Peppers went to a friggin basketball game. Big deal.

G_Money
03-17-2008, 11:10 AM

No, White's from here. Peppers is from NC. Julius was hanging out courtside beside Melo's wife. So either he's a friend in town for a visit and to catch that critical Nuggs/Sonics matchup, or he had some other business to take care of and decided to swing by.

Could be either, honestly - or maybe Julius felt like getting his name and some more speculation in the paper. So many options...

~G

MOtorboat
03-17-2008, 11:12 AM
No, White's from here. Peppers is from NC. Julius was hanging out courtside beside Melo's wife. So either he's a friend in town for a visit and to catch that critical Nuggs/Sonics matchup, or he had some other business to take care of and decided to swing by.

Could be either, honestly - or maybe Julius felt like getting his name and some more speculation in the paper. So many options...

~G

Does Julius wear Nike?

SR
03-17-2008, 11:14 AM

~G

silk was being sarcastic.

UnderArmour
03-17-2008, 11:17 AM
If we could get Julius Peppers for the #12 pick I'd do it. But I don't see it happening.

claymore
03-17-2008, 11:21 AM
If we could get Julius Peppers for the #12 pick I'd do it. But I don't see it happening.I think we could do it for Next years. If they want a pick this year, we trade as far back as possible, get another second, and mayybe a 3rd. Then ship them the 20 something overall pick. Im down for that, but #12, is to much.

SR
03-17-2008, 11:32 AM
HE also counts for $15mil against the cap as his contract sits right now. Screw that. He's not worth it IMO.

topscribe
03-17-2008, 11:39 AM
If we could get Julius Peppers for the #12 pick I'd do it. But I don't see it happening.

Yeah, with all those DEs . . . and no DTs . . . I can just see it now: a never-
ending string of 10, 12 yards a pop up the middle, but, boy howdy, no one's
going to run on us to the outside.

Yessir . . . :coffee:

-----

BroncoJoe
03-17-2008, 11:44 AM
HE also counts for $15mil against the cap as his contract sits right now. Screw that. He's not worth it IMO.

Ditto.

G_Money
03-17-2008, 11:48 AM
In order for him to get moved there'll be an extension signed. No way somebody's giving up a 1st or 2nd rounder for Peppers only to have him hit the FA market next year.

His cap figure will be lowered via the extension required to effect the trade in the first place.

I still don't see how he fits in here, but his cap figure won't be 15 mil this year if a trade does happen.

~G

Escobar
03-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Peyton manning spotted in a Cleveland cavilers game.......so what??

WARHORSE
03-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Only one reason I posted this story.

I was tired of seein the same threads still here every time I come back on the board.

At least the off season boredom took a new turn with Julius Peppers being the topic of the moment.

Can the draft hurry up and get here???

Lookin at Peppers though, he would cost too much. He'd want franchise shattering money, for non franchise shattering play. He should dominate like crazy...........but doesnt.

I'll pass.

Id rather give up two late first rounders for the young Jared Allen.

Thats just me.

I think the boy will be getting better.

corona
03-17-2008, 12:31 PM

I know your not talking about the Nuggets lately their defense has been superb of late.

Denver's defense especially against Seattle was very good considering how insanely fast paced that game was. Seattle actually took more shots 107 to the Nuggets 101 and they still got outscored by 52!!! That is insanely solid defense from the top to the bottom of the team. Forcing Seattle to shoot a awful 43% from the field. 46 of 107 for Seattle, You don't beat a team by 52 without playing defense.

Considering there were about 150 possessions in the game for seattle, and there were scrubs giving little resistance through the whole 4th quarter, giving up 116 isn't that bad.

i imagine its quite difficult to score 168 points while only allowing 90. i really really doubt its been done before ever actually check that it never has.

G_Money
03-17-2008, 12:48 PM
I know your not talking about the Nuggets lately their defense has been superb of late.

Denver's defense especially against Seattle was very good considering how insanely fast paced that game was. Seattle actually took more shots 107 to the Nuggets 101 and they still got outscored by 52!!! That is insanely solid defense from the top to the bottom of the team. Forcing Seattle to shoot a awful 43% from the field. 46 of 107 for Seattle, You don't beat a team by 52 without playing defense.

Considering there were about 150 possessions in the game for seattle, and there were scrubs giving little resistance through the whole 4th quarter, giving up 116 isn't that bad.

i imagine its quite difficult to score 168 points while only allowing 90. i really really doubt its been done before ever actually check that it never has.

You need to post some place that isn't filled with morons, corona. I can barely stomach Nuggets Talk any more and the GM boards are as bad or worse.

So find a better board so that I can track down your Nuggets posts without having to restrain my gag reflex. :beer:

This board is good...

~G

corona
03-17-2008, 12:58 PM
You need to post some place that isn't filled with morons, corona. I can barely stomach Nuggets Talk any more and the GM boards are as bad or worse.

So find a better board so that I can track down your Nuggets posts without having to restrain my gag reflex. :beer:

This board is good...

~G

Yea I always browse the forum to see the lastest Bronco News because you guys are always up to date on the lastest. But when I saw someone say that about the Nuggets I had to register, well I guess it's been long overdue. Getting Julius seems very far fetched though I think he was just scanning the sites.

Retired_Member_001
03-17-2008, 01:05 PM
I think the only guy we pay mega money for is a Defensive Tackle. I don't think Shanahan is prepared to give a Defensive End a big pay checl to be honest. Peppers must simply be in town visiting a friend. Players do have friends you know. ;)

Requiem / The Dagda
03-17-2008, 01:06 PM
Dumervil, Moss, Crowder. . . Peppers? Sounds better; but that means Crowder and Moss don't start; despite being drafted #1 and #2.

Peppers isn't coming here, he was probably just enjoying the atmosphere.

Retired_Member_001
03-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Dumervil, Moss, Crowder. . . Peppers? Sounds better; but that means Crowder and Moss don't start; despite being drafted #1 and #2.

Peppers isn't coming here, he was probably just enjoying the atmosphere.

The only case for a DE would be that Dumervil is undersized and isn't too great against the run. I still don't think it's a big enough issue at the moment to sign Julius Peppers. Jarvis Moss was a beast when he was healthy and Tim Crowder was very solid.

Bronco9798
03-17-2008, 01:28 PM
I saw Billy Crystal playing in a Yankees exhibition game a couple of days ago.

He really was.

BOSSHOGG30
03-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Give them Moss and Dumervil for Peppers... hell! Crowder and Peppers on the outside! wow

BOSSHOGG30
03-17-2008, 01:58 PM
This is interesting to say the least especially with the Tar Heels playing in the ACC Championship game on Sunday. Plus the Sonics suck. 168-116 beat down by the Nuggets... why was this game so important to Peppers?

silkamilkamonico
03-17-2008, 03:13 PM
Peppers had an outstanding 2.5 sacks last season. If Denver made that trade and he has another year like last year which is very likely considering he isn't playing with Kris Jenkins, he would get paid $6 mill per sack.

No thank you.

BOSSHOGG30
03-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Peppers had an outstanding 2.5 sacks last season. If Denver made that trade and he has another year like last year which is very likely considering he isn't playing with Kris Jenkins, he would get paid $6 mill per sack.

No thank you.

Peppers is one of the best if not the best DE's in the NFL.

HolyDiver
03-17-2008, 03:45 PM
I saw Billy Crystal playing in a Yankees exhibition game a couple of days ago.

He really was.

And looked damn good too.............Seriously, he swings the bat like a big league ballplayer.

TXBRONC
03-17-2008, 04:53 PM
They want a number one pick for him. I would give 09's #1, but not this year.

Peppers is worth it. We have made allot of bad decisions in the past, but Peppers is worth it.

He's probably would be worth that much but again Denver doesn't seem to be all that interested in pursuing high priced veterans.

BOSSHOGG30
03-17-2008, 05:05 PM
He probably would be worth that much but again Denver doesn't seem to be all that interested in pursuing high priced veterans.

Jake Plummer? Travis Henry? Dwayne Robertson?

TXBRONC
03-17-2008, 05:22 PM
Jake Plummer? Travis Henry? Dwayne Robertson?

Boss I'm talking about this year not previous years.

Other than possibly Robertson this year what other high priced has Denver shown any interest in Boss? And who have they signed so far? I don't think Manuel and McCree fit that category.

BOSSHOGG30
03-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Boss I'm talking about this year not previous years.

Other than possibly Robertson this year what other high priced has Denver shown any interest in Boss? And who have they signed so far? I don't think Manuel and McCree fit that category.

I'm just saying... Robertson is a high price guy... obviously the Broncos are willing to bring in a high priced guy... at least they are looking... They could possibly be looking at Peppers. You never know.

silkamilkamonico
03-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Peppers is one of the best if not the best DE's in the NFL.

2.5 sacks and was deemed "ineffective" at times throughout the season.

The "best" is not worth $15 million. Sorry.

BOSSHOGG30
03-17-2008, 05:51 PM
2.5 sacks and was deemed "ineffective" at times throughout the season.

The "best" is not worth $15 million. Sorry.

Even with that bad sack year in which he didn't play all 16 games... he is still averaging 9.5 sacks a year. Not bad for a guy who hasn't even hit his prime.

tubby
03-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Peppers was on HGH. Now he is not and sucks.

BOSSHOGG30
03-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Peppers was on HGH. Now he is not and sucks.

I thought it was ephedrine?

haroldthebarrel
03-17-2008, 06:47 PM
why the hell do people only look at yesterday when assessing the future. how about a week ago? how about years ago?
The nearest analogy I can come up with is playing texas hold'em and refusing to play two queens at hand because the last hand like that lost.

Getting Peppers is like getting Roaf. Or when Dallas got Deion Sanders.
He had a down season and played bad. He played great all before that. And in Denver he would probably be playing a lot more obvious passing downs. Other people around him will look a lot better not to say his own production.

The contract shouldnt be a problem. Give him what he wants within the parameters we have. The next superstar DE contract after him will make ours sound like a super deal like it always does. heck there is a huge chance there wont be a cap in 2010.

The trade is different. Id start the offer at a first and fourth and see if I could exchange value through players like Crowder, Foxworth and even Dumervil.

I dont think the deal would ever happen with Denver, but if the opportunity was there i wouldnt blink a second.

Day1BroncoFan
03-17-2008, 07:08 PM
This is probably a pipe dream, but I would love to see Peppers play for the Broncos... sooner rather than later.

haroldthebarrel
03-17-2008, 07:10 PM
This is probably a pipe dream, but I would love to see Peppers play for the Broncos... sooner rather than later.

yeah the amusing thing about it is should he be traded anywhere, or even resign him there would be thousands of sayers saying he was paid too much.
Then a few years later the deal. just like the deal we gave Champ, looks like a bargain.

Scarface
03-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Peppers is one of the best DEs in the game and people don't want him because he's expensive?! LMAO! Yep, screw a blue chip quality D-Lineman. What do the Browns have?

fcspikeit
03-17-2008, 11:31 PM
why the hell do people only look at yesterday when assessing the future. how about a week ago? how about years ago?
The nearest analogy I can come up with is playing texas hold'em and refusing to play two queens at hand because the last hand like that lost.

Getting Peppers is like getting Roaf. Or when Dallas got Deion Sanders.
He had a down season and played bad. He played great all before that. And in Denver he would probably be playing a lot more obvious passing downs. Other people around him will look a lot better not to say his own production.

The contract shouldnt be a problem. Give him what he wants within the parameters we have. The next superstar DE contract after him will make ours sound like a super deal like it always does. heck there is a huge chance there wont be a cap in 2010.

The trade is different. Id start the offer at a first and fourth and see if I could exchange value through players like Crowder, Foxworth and even Dumervil.

I dont think the deal would ever happen with Denver, but if the opportunity was there i wouldnt blink a second.

You want to give up our 1st and a 4th this year? For an upgrade at DE? Sure he is a beast, but we don't even need a DE. We need a DT!

We might as well trade up for Long or Golsten.. They would be a lot cheaper and we would get a hell of a lot more out of them..

Seriously, we could package Dumervil with our 1st and I bet we could get in the top 5.. In case you didn't notice, Dumervil had 5 times the amount of sacks as Peppers did.. How many more tackles did peppers have? If we traded Dooms we would still only have 1 proven pass rusher on the team..

pipes
03-17-2008, 11:35 PM
You want to give up our 1st and a 4th this year? For an upgrade at DE? Sure he is a beast, but we don't even need a DE. We need a DT!

We might as well trade up for Long or Golsten.. They would be a lot cheaper and we would get a hell of a lot more out of them..

Seriously, we could package Dumervil with our 1st and I bet we could get in the top 5.. In case you didn't notice, Dumervil had 5 times the amount of sacks as Peppers did.. How many more tackles did peppers have? If we traded Dooms we would still only have 1 proven pass rusher on the team..

You know what is crazy.....you're not even exaggerating.

Simple Jaded
03-17-2008, 11:48 PM
If Dumervil played for the Panthers and the Broncos were going to trade Julius peppers after having only 2.5 sacks, most Broncos fans wouldn't have the time of day for Elvis Dumervil.

A Dumervil for Peppers deal would be a freakin steal for the Broncos, that's because Peppers is a more complete player, he's a beast against the run and the pass. Dumervil is a beast pass rusher and a liability against the run.

Peppers is not coming to Denver, anyway, but Peppers is by far the better player! Imo, it's not even debatable.

I'd start the negotiating with Dumervil and DJ Williams, but like I said, Peppers isn't coming to Denver......

fcspikeit
03-18-2008, 12:49 AM
If Dumervil played for the Panthers and the Broncos were going to trade Julius peppers after having only 2.5 sacks, most Broncos fans wouldn't have the time of day for Elvis Dumervil.

A Dumervil for Peppers deal would be a freakin steal for the Broncos, that's because Peppers is a more complete player, he's a beast against the run and the pass. Dumervil is a beast pass rusher and a liability against the run.

Peppers is not coming to Denver, anyway, but Peppers is by far the better player! Imo, it's not even debatable.

I'd start the negotiating with Dumervil and DJ Williams, but like I said, Peppers isn't coming to Denver......

I agree that Peppers is the more complete player then Dooms.. If we were talking about a strait across trade I could agree to that..

But were talking about a potential first rounder + Dooms.. That is like trading 2 starters for 1.. Beings are biggest need isn't DE what would we gain be doing that? We would still suck against the run...

HolyDiver
03-18-2008, 10:19 AM
He's under contract. Broncos can't be talking to him. So he was at a game, big deal. However, I wouldn't be suprised if we made a trade for him

Hmm, sounds to me like you think we might trade for him.

Bronco9798
03-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Hmm, sounds to me like you think we might trade for him.

Sorry, forgot the sarcasm button..Please, forgive me!!

HolyDiver
03-18-2008, 10:25 AM
Sorry, forgot the sarcasm button..Please, forgive me!!

So now, you're sayin you think we'll trade for him?

Bronco9798
03-18-2008, 10:26 AM
So now, you're sayin you think we'll trade for him?

we're not trading for him,,Move on now...

HolyDiver
03-18-2008, 10:32 AM
we're not trading for him,,Move on now...

LMAO.............move on............like I'm from the Puddle or something...........good one.

BOSSHOGG30
03-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Panthers | Team interested in Harvey
Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:10:16 -0700

The Associated Press reports the Carolina Panthers are interested in University of Florida DL Derrick Harvey.

Interesting considering they have Julius Peppers and drafted Charles Johnson last year. Are they already giving up on Johnson?

Superchop 7
03-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Peppers cap figure is 15 mill, maybe the Bucs can afford him but we can't.

(Unless we swap Bailey)

BOSSHOGG30
03-19-2008, 08:19 AM
Peppers cap figure is 15 mill, maybe the Bucs can afford him but we can't.

(Unless we swap Bailey)

You are right... I'm sure that Peppers can agree to a new contract that would allow him to fit in our cap. Players never do that when they get traded.

haroldthebarrel
03-19-2008, 12:01 PM
Panthers | Team interested in Harvey
Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:10:16 -0700

The Associated Press reports the Carolina Panthers are interested in University of Florida DL Derrick Harvey.

Interesting considering they have Julius Peppers and drafted Charles Johnson last year. Are they already giving up on Johnson?

wouldnt put too much stock in the giving up on Johnson rumours. I think the reason they might let go of Peppers is that they wont give him the contract he will expect.
You have to remember that this is a copycat league and thus many teams will do like the Giants and have plenty of pass rushers. Even putting four ends in on obvious passing downs and stretch out the line.

Besides this draft is quite good on top with the ends. Obviously you have Gholston and Long, but you also have Merling, Harvey and Groves. Groves reminds me a lot of Demarcus Ware when he came out.
It wouldnt surprise me if all these ends were gone by pick #15 thus pushing Lawrence Jackson into the first round.